Reviews of Starlight Inn Huntington Beach This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

18382 Beach Boulevard, Huntington Beach, CA 92648, United States of America

#15 of 16 hotels in Huntington Beach

6.1

• Reviewed: June 26, 2018

Weird strong smell woke me up, the overall look of the room was decent, could be a bit more clean

The staff goes missing during early hours 5-6AM, making it impossible to check out before the cutoff time. Very frustrating if you HAVE to leave early and need your security deposit back (still waiting as I type this June 26th 5:17 AM)

The price

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

Front desk agent was very nice!

Front desk agent was very nice! He Offered us a room on the bottom floor when he realized one of my friends had an injured knee. Would stay here again.

• Reviewed: June 25, 2018

Fine for a short rest, if you can't find something else. Amazing Staff, but that's about it.

Extremely old everything. High price. Small parking lot. Old beds. No towels, had to ask. Pillows were pretty useless and the room was actually a "smoking" room, which I didn't know even existed any longer. But the man who was so wonderful gave me a spray bottle of air freshener which helped a bit.

The man that works there was as nice as can be. Couldn't be more kind. He was really the primary positive element about this hotel. Really nothing else to say that was so amazing about this place to be honest.

• Reviewed: June 21, 2018

You get what you pay for Not much to like besides the price

The manager wanting a deposit and the room smelled HoRriBle Not recommended and won’t return

You get what you pay for Not much to like besides the price

• Reviewed: June 3, 2018

The staff was really nice

The beds and pillows were extremely hard and in comfortable I recommend you guys at least spend some money on better pillows.

The staff was really nice

• Reviewed: May 2, 2018

Dirty room. Not worth $189. Was more like a $80 per night stay.

Room was not cleaned before we arrived. Sticky counters, unwashed crusty stains on the carpet. One of the towels had brown stains on it as well. Room smelled like old cigarettes, though we requested and were assured it was a non-smoking room. The bed was hard, had cheap sheets that didn’t breath, and there were only three small pillows to split between two people, and a sheet and comforter with no extra blankets.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

This place is why people should do research before booking hotels

I don't even know where to begin on this. I guess what I didn't like the most was the lack of the pool. I was looking forward to that,but unless they were talking about the plug in water fountain outside the main office, I could not find one.

It's proximity to other places with amenities (as there were none here!)

• Reviewed: April 23, 2018

Frightening, unless you are looking for the cheapest place to smoke crack, then by all means...

The doors were broken and I am scared. The place smells like an ashtray. I asked for a different room, I got a non smoking room, also smelled like an ashtray. The walls need washing, there are holes in the walls where the outlets should be. There's chairs in the closet. The windows are broken and taped back together.

• Reviewed: April 16, 2018

All in all it was a good stay. Since we were there for just one night it was well situated for our

The toilet was too close to the wall. There was very little room between the toilet and the toilet paper.

The bed was huge but the sheets kept coming off.

• Reviewed: April 14, 2018

Always very happy with the very courteous and prompt service from the staff and management.

My wife and I enjoy staying at the Starlight in from time to time whenever we feel like getting away from our normal routine. Our last time staying at this hotel was made even more enjoyable by our housekeeper made when she in the most thoughtful way made our 4 month old baby boy his very own baby's bed out of Linens and extra pillows on top of one of the two beds in our room. Even though we had our bassinet for him we couldn't help but to utilize her greatly appreciated attempt to not only satisfy the Mrs and myself but also our little Prince Charming. We couldn't resist even though we had our best net for him the opportunity to sleep on both sides of him in his throne like bedding made by our wonderful wonderful Keeper of the home at Starlight Inn which also actually made middle-of-the-night feedings and diaper changes so convenient LOL.

• Reviewed: March 11, 2018

The worsest inn I ever have in my 39 yrs in USA

All of above.I listed all in box ( what did I like)

Only Location,*** no tissues, no bath mat floor, very WiFi,poor fitting sheet,no private door sign,no offering coffee in the room, the worse and cheapest thin, rough towels, cheapy soap, shampoo and conditioner, very thin and rough toilet paper ever seen in my life. Even in my country better than their, pictures and description online not even close to what I saw in real. As a courtesy I should receive the whole credit back to my account.

• Reviewed: February 19, 2018

It was horrible.

It was horrible. The beds felt like you were sleeping on cardboard. There was mold in the bathroom and dirty towels when we first walked in and the employees were irritated when we asked for clean ones.

• Reviewed: February 8, 2018

Adequate for the price

Minimal extras like soap, shampoo. squeaky beds. No blankets...just sheets and bed cover

Lots of parking. Great location, near lots of restaurants and stores.

• Reviewed: February 8, 2018

Staff made us pay extra because I had three extra friends...

Staff made us pay extra because I had three extra friends (who were not staying at our hotel) use my shower. Ended up costing almost the price of two rooms to stay the night there with 5 people in the room. Claimed they had camera footage of at least seven people sleeping in my room, only gave us $40 back on a $100 security deposit after I begged. We left the room spotless. Doesn't seem fair to pay an extra $60 just to let friends use my shower after a day at the beach.

• Reviewed: January 29, 2018

Blah

Rather rude staff, problems getting the room I requested and was put in a double when I booked a king size. An disabled and requested first floor..was put on second floor.Our key card would not work after the first time so all our stuff..wallets etc were locked in the room..and the door never did get fixed. So 1 of us had to stay in the room all the time. There was a frozen beer in the freezer, and poop on the base of the toilet.The pillows were like bricks shoved in a bag. Bed was hard and springy.

There were no roaches and it was fairly quiet.. good sized TV

• Reviewed: January 27, 2018

Will use this place again

Coffee is not good for you... So no in room coffee is not a problem. I do not RATE according to terms and guidelines....I rate according to feelings and experience.... If you do not like MY ratings... Don't ask.

Just the basics... exactly what we needed..

• Reviewed: October 29, 2017

Poor customer service, disgusting rooms with stained bed sheets and duvet.

The woman that runs the hotel during the night was very rude. There was throwup on the floor of our room when we arrived and it reeked like puke. The best she told she could do was refund our money and check us out but we had been drinking so we had to stay. We got back to the hotel around 9pm and were sitting outside talking with our neighbors. Went to bed around 10 and she felt the need to come pound on our door until we answered as we were already in bed, to tell us that she was going to call the cops because she heard people fighting. There was no fighting happening?

Our neighbors were friendly, and seemed to have the same ideas about the hotel.

• Reviewed: October 12, 2017

I made the mistake of choosing the cheapest hotel in Huntington Beach. Spend a little extra!

Cigarette burn holes in the comforter, dirty room, internet did not work, television did not work...I felt dirtier and more tired leaving the hotel than when I arrived.

There are no positives to this hotel.

• Reviewed: October 7, 2017

checked in 10pm, checked out 5am (transit stay)

i liked everything, but floors are white ceramics, no carpet. a bit low end. nothing fancy, yet, decent to feel safe with bags, sleep confortable.

its an inn, the reception is glass window room, bank looking security, then you have rooms, not fancy, clean and cable tv, quiet, area is good part of huntington beach. is very close to 7 eleven and nothing out of the ordinary, i cheked in at 10pm and left at 5am, transit for taking my flight to LAX. has microwave, refrigerator.

• Reviewed: September 21, 2017

Great nights sleep at a great price.

The window in the bathroom was loose, so you hear it moving all night. Nothing that closing the bathroom door couldn't handle.

Great place to stay for the money.

• Reviewed: September 16, 2017

If your rich and snobby don't stay here because people like you give small guys bad names.

Wifi was slow but we didn't really stay in the room much and bathrooms were kinda small.

The cleaning ladies were awesome they keep the rooms clean and had no problems with them.

• Reviewed: August 7, 2017

The parking lot had homeless people living in their cars. There were drugs being sold on the property parking lot as well. Children ages 14 - 21 were staying at this hotel Terrible experience. They also charged an additional $100 fee, that I cannot get them to refund.

• Reviewed: August 6, 2017

It was short and uncomfortable because we didn't know how clean the room actually was.

The pillows already had hairs on them, and we didn't really know how clean the rest of the room was. It was also dusty and dirty around the windows. Windows were also pretty dirty.

• Reviewed: July 29, 2017

Yuck

We got the 3rd story and no elevator. Toilet paper you could read through. The bedspread was dirty and\ or stained and no blanket.The bathroom mirror belonged in a circus. No facial tissue. The shower was so low you had to bend over. But the water presser was good. Mold on the short curtain and shower.

• Reviewed: July 28, 2017

It was ok for a 1 night lots of places to eat.

Did not like paying for ice and there was a man spray painting his truck with a can of spray(fumes). People parked their cars in the handicapped parking and sleeped in their vehicles. I think people live there like an apartment. Bottom floor those people where up all night making noise. We left at 5:30 in the morning could not sleep.

It was ok for a 1 night lots of places to eat.

• Reviewed: July 23, 2017

Take your own sheets and pillows!

Pillows were awful! It was like sleeping on cardboard. My neck and shoulders were in so much pain. Didn't sleep the entire night. Not to mention there was no fitted sheet on the mattress. So gross. I don't k i.e. Who's been on it.

Looked clean.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2017

Buyer Beware - Spend alot 4 Worst Hotel Ever

More expensive than any of the other hotels we stayed in on our trip with no amenities, room was hit because air is not left on, only a shampoo packet and mini bar of soap. They also charge .50 for ice!

• Reviewed: June 26, 2017

Bad

room had a moldy smell, bathroom toilet seat kept falling off. Wifi does not work. Noisy, had to keep a/c on all night to keep out noise but a/c was so noisy it was hard to sleep

• Reviewed: June 24, 2017

It's a dump but it's cheap.

Certain TV channels are intelligible, the toilet is too close to the wall (poor install), the place needs a complete remodel.

This place is a dump, but it's cheap for an O.C. So that's why I stay here.

• Reviewed: June 23, 2017

The location is the only great thing.

Front desk was rude. The hotel had live in tenants (yes multiple tenants, I counted at least 3) that would watch you. When going up the stairs, a person living on the 2nd floor (which also works at the front desk) went up to the 3rd floor when I walked past the 2nd floor onto the 3rd floor and watched me walk into my room. It was very weird. Also they only had basic cable, like the kind you get with an antenna and the wifi that they offer wouldn't work. It was too slow to even load my news feed on Facebook.

I like that it is 3 miles from the beach. Location is the only nice part.

• Reviewed: June 19, 2017

It is convenient.

Extremely hard bed. Pillows like a rock, no coffee, no soap, no blanket-just sheet and bedspread, no shampoo, They could not possibly have found thinner toilet paper. Room looked clean until you closed the bathroom door. It was obvious that no one had cleaned behind the bathroom door for quite some time. Not a deal breaker but---

It was available and close to where we wanted to go. Nice size room, enough parking, easy to get in and out. It was quiet.

• Reviewed: June 10, 2017

Life's a beach !

No pets allowed .

The new gourmet coffee machine which was accessible in the office 24/7 and offered quite a good selection of tasty coffee ... like having a mini Starbucks w/o the baristas.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2017

Perfect bang for your buck!

Parking lot is kind of small but very close to rooms.

It was a good size room, good size bed, clean, had a mini fridge and microwave. Great room for the price i paid in a perfect location!

• Reviewed: May 16, 2017

Nice stay

The pillows are flat. There were 2 towels but no hand towels or washcloths.

It was very quiet, the people next door had children and I only heard them when they were outside walking past.

• Reviewed: May 9, 2017

Excellent Reception THRU to the Final Departure.

This is a question I am quite Befuddled in finding an answer regarding this & previous Visits.

The Room was nice and clean. I would have no reservations in saying the Room & All its Furnishings are well Above Standard compared to the Competition in this Area. The Previous Statement INCLUDES the EXCELLENT ASSISTANCE of the Professional Management & Staff.

• Reviewed: April 29, 2017

Precious Cheap Gem, Family run hotel , a great Deal for the price!

Staircase steps needs repairs.

The family run business took such pride in the old 3 story motel. They gave us a choice of a joining rooms, replaced our lost key free w a smile and had a modern designer coffee/cappuccino machine in the entry way. The rooms were simple but clean, new TV's and fast wifi.

• Reviewed: April 25, 2017

It was ok

The hotel is little overpriced for what it is . I understand it's in Huntington area .but it is still kinda motel . It's clean, staff could be more friendly .

• Reviewed: April 24, 2017

If you're picky this isn't for you

The hotel didn't even have water for purchase and you have to pay for ice. Mold on ceiling of bathroom and someone's leftover hair was in the shower. I doubt the bathroom was even cleaned.

If you just want a place to sleep for a brief visit then this place is fine. Sheets appeared to be clean.

• Reviewed: April 24, 2017

The worst place every

See above.

Did not like anything about it, noisy, sheets had stains or grey spots, TV had 1 channel. Terrible people outside making noise nobody reprimanded them, doors slamming at 2 and 3 in the morning. We will never stay there again.

• Reviewed: April 5, 2017

Great restaurants near but a long way from the besch

Too far from the beach a good hours walk and a taxi back cost 30$ including the tip

Near shops and restaurants quiet area no homeless not afraid to go out at night

• Reviewed: April 5, 2017

Quiet night getaway

The pillows are flat, not even good when doubled up.

The bed was amazingly comfortable, this last stay was in a recently renovated room. The shower had the best water pressure of any hotel I've stayed in.

• Reviewed: April 1, 2017

Good value for the money. Very helpful staff.

The bed was not the most comfortable. The rest of the accommodations were satisfactory. It was a bit noisy at times.

The manager was most accommodating and responded immediately and rectified the situation when called upon. The room was fairy nice, the bed was a bit uncomfortable but it is a good value for the money.

• Reviewed: March 26, 2017

Not much to like about this former motel.

This is a clean barebones dive. Look for something for a bit more money.

Not much to like about this former motel. Bed like a rock. Clerk spoke broken English. Really just a band change, old motel info still posted.

• Reviewed: March 18, 2017

Never Again

Everything was so cheap and gross. My room had not been cleaned even though they said my room was ready. There were spilled drinks and crumbs on the countertops that didn't get cleaned off. The room had a very gross scent to it and I wasn't comfortable with the people that were staying in the hotel.

• Reviewed: March 13, 2017

Wouldn't recommend it

The rooms were awfully disgusting. It smelled like smoke. There were nails on the ground and bugs flying around in the room. There was construction on the roof so it was really loud consistently. House keeping didn't even come clean our room. The staff and management team of this hotel rigged me and my friends and took our money and they yelled at me for no reason. This place needs to be shut down.

• Reviewed: March 13, 2017

Worse customer service

The lady voided my transaction then she told me it was okay to stay then her husband i never talk to him that night locked my room. Overall they wanted to double charge me and left me with no money.

• Reviewed: March 12, 2017

affordable, clean enough and quiet!

bit of mold on bathroom ceiling. nbd. office smelled like curry, but like tasty sutting on the stove smell. front desk guy was kinda rude to my gf for vaping outside on the second floor, dont really understand why. said to smike downstairs only. idk.

it wasnt as big of a hovel as i anticipated from previous reviews. its was clean, sheets were washed NOT full of bed bugs like yelp said, bed wasnt bad at all. quiet location. 5 min from main st

• Reviewed: March 12, 2017

Horrible customer service

The customer service was absolutely horrible. My reservations were lost and I was made to feel blamed for booking.com/ the property loosing them. The beds were stiff as a board, the property smelled, and the toilet was broken when we arrived. When we arrived there was a customer who was also having issues with their reservation (mind you, it was 1230 at night) I definitely wouldn't recommend staying at the hotel. The only positive was that it was less than two miles from the beach.

• Reviewed: March 11, 2017

The room was very well decorated and appointed.

The WIFI connection could have been faster.

The room was very well decorated and appointed. It was sparkling clean. The front desk clerk was very welcoming, helpful and had a good sense of humor. I think this is an excellent hotel and the price was more than competitive for the area. I will be staying there again, and highly recommend it to other travelers. It is close to the beach, has many restaurants and shopping that is within walking distance. Parking was great as well ! David Smith

• Reviewed: March 11, 2017

Idk why some peoole rate this place bad by saying it's...

It's starting to get pricey. I usually stay Saturdays and they would charge me $85-$90 today I called wanting to make reservations for tomorrow lady said it would be $100 +tax, NO thank you!! You have lost a loyal customer.

Idk why some peoole rate this place bad by saying it's dirty, that theres roaches ans bugs. I have stayed several times (possibly more than 7 times here). I have NEVER seen bugs or roaches in any of the rooms I've stayed in. The only thing I can say that I don't like is the funky smell (like Indian odor) but it's tolerable, at least for me.

• Reviewed: March 5, 2017

The Room was Clean and Very Tidy.

When encompassing the Area, Room Rates and Staff Accommodations, I have NO COMPLAINTS. I'm Looking Forward to my next visit/

The Room was Clean and Very Tidy. Staff were very Congenial. The Area is most Accommodating when in search of Restaurants with Varied Cuisine. 5 Points Shopping Center is walking Distance and they have one of the Best Jewelers in 25 Miles. Sporting Goods and excellent Clothing Stores

• Reviewed: January 24, 2017

will not stay there again

No dresser. On our 2nd night there about 10pm a couple tried to come in our room. I then got a call from the front desk and a knock on the door from mgr. We paid for 3 nights I showed my receipts I will never stay there again also the bed was hard

Clean and good location

• Reviewed: December 24, 2016

location was great and close to my work site

heater in room did not heat up, a lot of traffic noise, room was not finished with renovations exposed lighting wiring. Sign is Rodeway and does not say starlight

location was great and close to my work site

• Reviewed: December 8, 2016

Great in a pinch, but look around if you can

There was a bad smell. There wasn't a fitted sheet and the flat sheet that was used was too short to fold under the head and foot of the bed. We had to remake the beds from the bottom up.

There was a small fridge which worked well.

• Reviewed: November 18, 2016

it was a cheap hotel

A very tired and dated motel (no longer called the "starlight"). The windows were broken, and the in room services were zero. The wifi didn't work. You get what you pay for.

it was a cheap hotel

• Reviewed: November 12, 2016

Run or stay at your own peril

I made a reservation requesting a room on the first floor because I'm handicap. I was assured I would be placed on the first floor. When I arrived to check in I was told the only room available was on the third floor. The clerk appeared not to know what he was doing and fumbled around a lot. From the outside the place looked like a dump and not very appealing to the eye. The lobby if you want to call it that was no better. Booked a room at Motel 6 and it was awesome. Friendly staff and clean rooms. Lobby was immaculate.

• Reviewed: October 25, 2016

Good location, clean room, friendly staff

There is no elevator for a three level motel.

Clean room and the staff was very accommodating with our request for a ground floor and non smoking room. I found the staff to be very friendly over the 3 days of our stay.

• Reviewed: October 24, 2016

Not the best place to stay!

The Starlight Inn as represented on the web and through general information IS NOT the Starlight Inn. This hotel is ACTUALLY a Roadway Inn. I stayed at a Crowne Plaza in August in FL, a King Suite with all amenities and extremely clean for only a few dollars, $4.00, more per day. You really need to do your due dilligence when advertising these places to ensure they are truly as described. I view your ads as false advertisement.

The staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: October 2, 2016

For over one hundred dollars, they could at least give you a "free" cup of coffee in the morning!

No "free" coffee in the morning in the lobby at this place. It will cost you one dollar for each cup of morning coffee.

Location met my needs.

• Reviewed: September 21, 2016

Good for one night type of hotel! But overall friendly staff.

Bathroom door was broken, so it wouldnt lock.

They let us do extended check out, which was great. it looks like they just remolded because there was a ton of old furniture out in the parking lot.

• Reviewed: September 2, 2016

Beside the obvious low score on cleansliness the business is actually called the Roadhouse inn. So at first I could not find it. If I initially knew it was called that I would of never booked it because I have had a negative experience with Roadhouse inn before. For a night at the beach for a birthday. It was pretty bad

• Reviewed: August 30, 2016

Comfortable bed and pillows.

A/C not working so well. Could probably be fixed easily. Didn't mention it to staff since it wasn't too hot both days we were there.

Comfortable bed and pillows. Office staff were accommodating and nice. Fridge and microwave. Large closet area. Proximity to beach-short 10min or less drive. Good for a night or two stay near the beach.

• Reviewed: August 28, 2016

Cheap motel.. you get what you pay for

The cleanliness lacked in comparison to your average hotel. There was a group of small flies hanging around the sink, the room smelled a little funny and being a hospitality manager myself, I could tell the hard to reach places weren't being cleaned.

The price allowed us an affordable place to stay, and we had the king size bed which was spacious and comfortable.

• Reviewed: August 23, 2016

Great stay very close to the beach!!

More parking would have been nice but it is manageable.

The bed was extremely comfortable. Nice for family with small children. The whole place was super clean great price for being so close to the beach, there is a walmart right down the street. I give this place 5 stars all the way. I stayed at a well known brand hotel the RAMADA the day before I stayed here for the same price and it sucked! I wish this hotel was closer to disneyland because I would have stayed here my whole trip!! Awesome awesome awesome!!

• Reviewed: August 20, 2016

Clean convenient reliable courteous accommodating...

A little outdated furnishings but for the dollars charged a good value for spending the night

Clean convenient reliable courteous accommodating refrigerator

• Reviewed: August 8, 2016

Honest review -Read before booking!!

I didn't like the glass in the parking lot, the 2 gun shots in the parking lot at night, the holes burned into the bed comforter that smelled like urine, the sink that couldn't be used due to the clogged drain, the 5 inch drywall hole in the bathroom. The 1 inch thick pillows and hard beds didn't help either. Talking to the staff about all of this was worthless. They are foreigners who definitely have a different idea of what a quality hotel is all about. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again even if they paid me double what I paid them for my stay. Any positive reviews for this hotel are either guests from a poor 3rd world country, or just completely made up and bogus altogether.

I've been trying to think of something we liked about this place for about 20 mins now, and there really is absolutely nothing at all that we liked about this hotel. Nothing!

• Reviewed: August 4, 2016

Staff were helpful.

The website said it had a pool and the photos indicated that. Was told by the owner that the photos were of the Westin down the road and not the Starlight. The name change was also confusing - now called the Rodeway.

Staff were helpful.

• Reviewed: August 2, 2016

Not bad, definitely not worth the money paid.

The price gouging during the US Open of Surfing was unfortunate. There's nothing that would make this hotel room worth $260.00 per night, ever.

The new carpet was nice.

• Reviewed: July 31, 2016

Before you stay at Starlight check the mattress firmness to spare your back some pain!

Mind you I've checked in this hotel three times before and in all three instances, the mattress that I had was normal. This time around I arrived late around 8:30 p.m. I was extremely tired. By the time I had transferred all of my personal effects from my car to the second floor where my room was located, I was ready to straight to sleep. When I was already in my sleepwear, I laid down on the bed and my back felt like iit was touching a concrete floor. I fell asleep nevertheless. The next morning I woke up with a nasty lower back pain. When I went to the office to request the receipt, I asked the gentleman what we could possibly do about that and he replied "you should have brought this issue last night" Even if you're a customer and you have to go out of your way to be comfortable, there's a problem. I've stayed at 5 star hotels for this same price where your experience is always guaranteed to be a good one. I gave this person at Starlight to redeem himself but his greedy attitude causes this type of review.

Location is conveniently located. Staff process check-in quickly. Location feels safe.

• Reviewed: July 28, 2016

close to all the beaches for a good price!

The pillows were flat. BRING YOUR OWN PILLOWS. No elevator. Had to carry huge uce chest up 3 levels of stairs.

Nice clean room. The AC, microwave, and refrigerator worked great!

• Reviewed: July 28, 2016

Discusting

That place is disgusting I couldn't sleep because there were bugs the air conditioning didn't work it was horrible don't stay there it's nasty

There was nothing I liked about that property I paid $283 for a total dump it was filthy it was small and there were bugs in the room

• Reviewed: July 11, 2018

It was decent for location

Bathroom was dirty like

The t.v. and staff

• Reviewed: July 7, 2018

The location was good

Is kind of a cheap motel but they charged a lot of money

The location was good

• Reviewed: June 27, 2018

Staff is trying to make money on everything .

• Reviewed: June 27, 2018