Reviews of State Plaza Hotel 4 stars

2117 E Street NW, Northwest, Washington, DC 20037, USA

#18 of 138 hotels in Washington

Everything the staff anything I wanted no matter the time, came to the hotel after a long day of walking the streets of Washington DC and the staff notice we were buying a lot of drinks and they ask if we wanted a mini refrigerator for our room. Love that type of courtesy❤️❤️❤️

• Deluxe Suite

State Plaza Hotel has an excellent location close to Foggy Bottom Metro. Rooms are spatious and well equipped. Breakfast service ( a la carte) has a good quality and is reasonably priced.

The gym was extremely basic. Wish it had a little bit more.

Close to the White House, and also close to the restaurants close to the George Washington University area.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

Considering the cost of the room and high standard, the sound proofing to the corridor was terrible. Also, the toilet roll wasn't replaced (in the bathroom or the spare roll we found in cupboard on first day). We were there for 3 nights and housekeeping came in everyday so would have thought something so simple would have been done. Also there were 3 of us sharing and only 2 seats at the dining table and 2 wine glasses. The occupancy of the room should have been checked prior to us checking in.

Great location, only 15 minute walk from the Lincoln memorial/the mall. There was also a walgreaves and liquor store next door which was handy. Beds were super comfy - I wanted to take the pillows with me as they were so comfortable. Having the kitchen space was great and the room and bathroom were huge.

Elevators were slow.

Location was convenient. Close to GWU station. A CVS and liquor store next door. Room was spacy, beds were comfortable. Kitchenette was useful and overall it was really clean.

The elevator was slow so we took the stairs most of the time.

The room was large with a separate full kitchen area. The bed was comfy with lots of pillows.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

I would have liked a shower wand to hold in my hand when in the bathtub, instead of the overall shower outlet.

Staff were particularly friendly and helpful.

Not many choices for dining in the area. Not an overly exciting area during day or night.

Bed was comfortable. Quiet neighbourhood. Staff were helpful and friendly. Kitchenette was useful. 24 hour CVS next door was very handy. Decent Pizzeria 2 blocks away. Within 15-20 minutes walking distance to Georgetown, the Mall and Museums.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

Loved the location,friendly staff,great food. Good eating places nearby in the GWU and if you wanted to cook, then there is a CWS just next door to get stuff from. Bus stops outside both receptions( there are two,F street and Virginia Ave) and Metro station a nice 6 to 7 min walk away at Foggy Bottom GWU. Handy for getting everywhere. Uber drivers are really friendly too.

There’s no onsite parking. If you want to park you have to pay a $40 valet. And when we got there they said they didn’t have a long room for us anymore so they “upgraded” us to a double.... which really want a upgrade for us.

It was cute. It looked like a small, city apartment. Both of us are kinda on the taller side and we absolutely loved the shower.

The fully equipped eat-in kitchen (gas cook-top, microwave, apt-sized fridge, plates, glasses, and cookware) was a money-saver. Stop by the Whole Foods a few blocks away to stock up on food for breakfast.

• Deluxe Suite

We had trouble figuring out the AC system the first night, and consequently were really cold. We finally just turned it off. It is a little old fashioned but it will keep your room cold!

We booked the suite, and were impressed with how roomy and clean it was. The bed was comfy with six full pillows. The kitchenette was fully outfitted. The suite was so roomy we could have hosted a meeting there. Also the little details, such as bags for wet umbrellas in the lobby, really added to the stay.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

Hotel facilities a little limited. Lifts were a little glacial.

A functional hotel. It has a small kitchen which is very useful. Beds were very comfortable. Excellent location for seeing the National Mall and White House. Location lacks bars etc which are a 10-15 minute walk Very helpful staff who were very professional.

A note that was supposed to be delivered to a room never got there!

The location is perfect for business and pleasure. Professional and courteous staff attend to your needs. The breakfast is served hot in a serene setting. Getting around town was easy. Front desk staff were friendly ✅ I give this hotel 5 star rating

The restaurant seemed to be understaffed.We went for an evening meal and waited a very long while for our food but we could see that the staff were run off their feet. The air con is very noisy.

The room was spacious.The location was great in a nice safe neighbourhood,an easy walk to the metro.

I'm not sure why but the first floor hall of the south tower smells like a stable. It's not terrible, just odd.

Loved my room. The bed was comfortable, the room spacious and the shower had great pressure and never seemed to run out of hot water.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

Room service menu was very limited. Air conditioning unit was very loud. Woke us up during the night.

Comfortable beds and pillows. Great water pressure in the shower.

Poor service in the restaurant. Main course was brought out while starters were still on the table. Coffee and tea in room but no milk or sugar

Good size room with kitchen (not used). Big comfortable bed

The view is not amazing, my room was in the back so my windows were all turned to other buildings windows, which means no privacy unless you shut the drapes, but that was not a problem. Another thing that could be improved is that you need to climb up a few steps from the lobby to the elevator (about 5), that could be a ramp to make it easier with the bags or more accessible for those who experience any kind of disabilities.

Location, location, location. Between the National Mall (a 15 minute walk to the Lincoln Memorial) and Georgetown (30 minute walk)! Each time I left the hotel I got more amazed of how conveniently located it was. You can get to the Lafayette Square/North face or the White House in a 14 minute walk, the hotel is also near to metro station and bus stops. The staff was graciously kind and very helpful. The amenities were also very good (coffee, tea, bottled water, newspaper delivered everyday). The bathroom is amazing, very well designed and the room itself is huge, and has a compact kitchen that helps a lot (plates, silvery, microwave, refrigerator, coffee machine, toaster and even an cooker and a kettle!). You can also use a computer and print tickets and other documents for free at the IT room located on the 1st floor.

• Deluxe Suite

The selection in the restaurant was limited for breakfast. It was so-so as far as taste and a little expensive.

Its like your own apartment in a very convenient location. Just a few blocks away from the White House and the Memorials. You just can't beat it for the price. :)

We have stayed here twice and have had a great experience both times. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The house keeping staff is awesome and go above and beyond to make sure the room is tidy and you have fresh linens and towels. This trip we spent more time walking from the hotel to local attractions as well as restaurants and it was perfect.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

A little dated and split into 2 wings by a parking garage. Not really an issue until a cab doesn’t know which entrance you are at but that’s probably my fault for not being specific. Nothing that would be a deal breaker at all.

Super clean. Great location and super friendly staff. Bed was fantastic. Quiet restful peace after a hectic day rooms had anything you might need. Just a super clean comfortable room

Hotel had cancelled our booking because we arrived late despite having previously informed then. We got an apology and a room upgrade. Room was very spacious but had the feel of not being used cold sheets etc. There was a storm on first night and water poured in around windows. Maintenance put towels on window sills and said it was due to rain severity. Air con very noisy and vents were filthy.

Location was excellent for the sights

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The hotel. The price. The rooms. The view. The staff.

I was so disappointed when I checked into my room. This was a graduation trip for my daughter. Reviews said “modern” and “great decor.” I felt like I was in a converted dorm room. The furniture didn’t match. The room layout made no sense and eveythjng was painted gray. Our room had a view of a lovely brick wall from the American Legion next door. I was not out to stay at the cheapest place I could find. My intentions were to splurge for this trip and find somewhere very nice and walkable to sites. Failed on at least one. I paid &195/night for a two queen bed room. As I was checking in I got an email from another site for $114. I asked for an adjustment. “Nope, can’t do that you booked through a site.” The second morning there we ran out of toilet paper. We requested more at front desk and a worker brought up bath towels and paper towels. Not sure what the intention was there...? Our last morning we woke to what sounded like a jackhammer at 7:45 AM. I asked the front desk what was going on. “Nothing,” Nothing??! “OH, you must be over on the third floor, yeah there was an emergency leak there.” “Uh, anything you can do about that? Our stay has been a bit rough here.” “We can move you to the other tower.” “I leave in the morning” “Oh, then no.” I’m telling you if they offered me a free night of parking ($45!) for the car I did not have, it would have at least been an attempt at customer service. Complete disappointment. Good thing my daughter has a good sense of humor.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The receptionist, Rosibel, ingnored my request when I checked out. I was asking her to split the bill into 3 ways but she kept saying the bill is already fully paid. She didn't give us chance to explain more by saying that over and over again. I assume that I didn't speak English well so she looked down on me. Although not, I felt that way. After all, the other receptionist kindly helped us without any problem. I will never stay in the hotel and also strongly suggest my company not to book the hotel for employees.

Property was not bad.

Upon check in no one told me about the restaurant. I didn’t find out about it until my last night.

Very clean. Comfortable and quiet. Love having a kitchen! Cvs next door was also handy.

• Deluxe Suite

I looked for hotels with parking. This hotel has a big parking lot, however it costs additional 50$ a day, which isn't mentioned in Booking.com. In addition, They don't let you park it yourself! The hotel's worker takes the car in and out which implies additional tips costs!

Very nice hotel in a good location

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The shower in our bathroom drained slowly, but we didn’t complain to staff. I feel pretty confident they would have addressed it had we done so. The room was also pretty pricey but in line with other hotels in the area.

The location was perfect. The rooms were spacious and clean. Staff was friendly.

Not so thrilled with the homeless camp across the street.

The cleanliness was a home run for us! The bathroom sparkled and the shower was the BEST ever! The little kitchenette was a bonus! The location is definitely a plus!

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The two separate entrances was a bit confusing at first; however, once the layout of the facility was determined it was okay to maneuver.

State Plaza was very accommodating. It was very clean and the room was spacious.

We could hear people talking in the hallway.

This is a lovely hotel. Everything seems new. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The kitchen was large and immaculate. The bedroom was large and the bed was very comfortable with great pillows.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

There were 6 steps to get from the lobby to the 1st floor rooms instead of a ramp or elevator. We were approached by a panhandler from the homeless camp across the street as soon as we got out of the car.

The room was spacious and the kitchenette was great. The hotel was close to restaurants and monuments/memorials/museums.

• Deluxe Suite

I did have an issue with the lighting both in the hallways and interior of the rooms. Suggestion to Facilities, make the lighting appropriate for the hallways and interior rooms (40w is simply not sufficient). If engineering is the challenge, add more fixtures to the rooms.

The building I was in clearly had been an apartment building at one time. Excellent if you are looking for a larger (true) suite and do not mind a converted boutique property with a bit of character (which I personally love). For the value, a fantastic choice indeed. The front desk staff was very friendly. The door/porter staff were top notch. As a AHLA professional, the management's training was very evident. The Guest Services all around was excellent! This is a lovely boutique hotel, with moderate, comfortable furnishings and decor intended for the transient guest (ideal for families and business travelers mindful of the travel budget). Having said this, as an experienced traveler, I would be delighted to refer this property to anyone visiting DC.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The house keeper stole my tennis shoes. I alerted the staff and they told me they didn't see them in the room. It was evident that the cleaning lady stole them because I took them off by my bed on Monday,. Wednesday, I looked for them underneath my bed and they were gone. I was given two free bottles of water the next two days, but was never compensated for my shoes! Never, will I recommend this hotel.

The dining room seemed to be stuck down a hall. It looked to be more of a spot to get a quick meal. We did not eat there.

Rooms were clean and spacious. We had a full kitchen with dining table and a separate dressing room attached to the bathroom. Great location with an easy walk to the White House

could hear water running from other rooms. One of the towels was dirty ...

Staff super friendly and helpful. I’m here at a busy time (graduations going on) and even when overwhelmed staff was super helpful

Parking, must pay $46.00 extra for valet parking. There was no choice. We felt ripped off.

More like an apartment than a hotel room. We had a living room kitchen and bedroom . The facility was old but the rooms were redone in good taste. Very comfotable bed.

The TV signal appeared to be analog so the channels looked snowy Second, the hotel is right in the middle of George Washington University and we were there during final week so college kids everywhere. Not that is a downer, it's just something to be aware of. Most of the close by shops have college age snacks, food so you will need to walk a little ways (.5 mile) to get away from the university and find good spots to eat.

Great Hotel in the heart of foggy bottom. Short walking distance to the White House and to bus pick up spots where you can see all of DC. We were upgraded to a suite upon arrival:). The room was excellent, very spacious, clean and beautiful. There were 2 flat screens, a kitchen with microwave, toaster, coffee maker. Every evening, the staff would drop off bottles of waters. The hotel is a little pricey but comparable to rates at other top end hotels. Overall, a very positive experience at the State Plaza and I do recommend it.

For some reason it was very loud. Several people talking loud I. Hall way and at different times through the night. Woke me several times.

Close to GW. Ample rooms

Not many restaruants nearby. Supermarket for food to cook in the kitchen was about 5 klms away.

Very clean and tidy , bed was comfortable and the staff very friendly. Close to the memorials and museums.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

No view or flash entrance but that was ok.

Easy location, in the heart of George Washington University, it was as an easy walk to restaurants, shopping and the White House sights.

We had a suite with cooking facilities. The kitchen is very low on crockery and not very well supplied with essentials, even for a cup of tea/coffee. Sachets containing everything leading to a lot of unnecessary waste.

Staff helpful. Very spacious. Bed huge and very comfortable. Great sitting area. Good public transport to centre of city and all sights. In general a very comfortable stay.

Breakfast was separate in restaurant.no vegetarian menu provided.The breakfast charges are high as I did not get anyfood to eat except a cup of coffee.Porter service should be provided

A very comfortable stay with all amenities available.Good toiletries ,comfortable bed,kitchen fully equipped with cutlery provided,daily cleanliness and helpful reception.

The wifi in my room was a little slow. It would have been nice to have a coffee pot in the lobby. I had to leave at 6:30am for work and would have been nice to grab a coffee on my way out the door.

I liked the spaciousness of the room/apt. Good value for your money. The front desk and front door staff were great. Very convenient to my client's office, to neighborhood community and to museums

Our initial contact in front desk, was diabolical , a young girl yawned her way through the process and was extremely off-putting. She should be removed from the front desk asap the others staff and all others we encountered were good.

Beds good Pillows could be better , I d did ask for softer pillows and they were unavailable.

?

We were very pleased with our entire stay. There was nothing to change. We stayed in the North tower and found it was center for all we wanted to see. I will say after a long day on our feet the bed was heavenly.

Staff was very friendly and very helpful. Room was perfect. We had a small kitchen which we used for breakfast each day. Bathroom was very clean and very nice. Overall we were very pleased with our room and stay.

I didn't like the option for valet parking only. The mile tracking in my car was reset by whoever had parked my car, which I did not like. We also had to kill many, many ants in our bathroom. Right across the street there are several homeless people that actually have a tent pitched which, unfortunately, doesn't help the hotel's appearance.

I liked that the hotel was given a modern and classy look. The location to the mall was good with just a short walk to the Lincoln memorial.

Aircon was playing up, not heaps of hanging space in the wardrobes & the layout is a bit odd (two towers & I had to walk through the car park to get between the two)

Fantastic location & the room was beautiful. Huge bed, neat bathroom, powder room & a couple of wardrobes.

Perhaps there is little the hotel can do but vagrant camps across the road gave a negative air.

A very spacious suite with a comfortable bed.The location was ideal for walking tours of the city and there were several restaurants close by.

No major complaints besides pillows

Lobby staff upon arrival were extremely friendly and helpful. Room size was crazy big, bed extra comfy but pillows too hard for my liking. It was only my husband and I but a perfect hotel for a family. Cleanliness was great. Being in a city I was surprised how quiet the area noise was! Very easy walking distance to the sites we wanted to see. We walked, taxi, and metro which was only a few blocks away. Overall I would rank this hotel a 9.5 on a 10 scale, minus .5 for the pillows. One more plus...loved the two free bottled waters given to you in the early evening. Our previous hotel in another area was $5.00 for a room water.

-no self parking and valet for 43 $.. but it's everywhere in DC like that..

Big room, comfy bed, within 15 to 20 walking minutes to the lincoln memorial, white house or monument..

Bathhub drain very slowly causing a little flood while shower.

Every other things are exceptional. Huge clean room. Seperated small dining room with a kitchenette(incl. microwave). Couldn't ask for more!!

The fridge was making annoying noise all night long, it's a massive fridge for a hotel room, in my view unnecessarily so.

Excellent location, very nice modern accommodation with all comforts

The front desk did not have change that I needed e.g. two $5 bills for a $10 bill. The restroom in the hallway had a locked door, and the key made for me by the desk clerk did not work. Fortunately, a man working as a painter in the building was passing by.

Everything about my room was great.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

Tent city across the street. The air conditioner did not work.

Updated and Modern. Free Newspaper every morning. Surprised there was a Kitchen in our room. Certainly helped with dining expense.

I didn't like the view and what was charge for the parking which was $45 a night. The restaurant was very expensive with not much to choose from.

Staff was very friendly and the room was clean. The kitchen was nice and had everything we needed.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

We were surprised to find a kitchenette in our room and thought that would be extremely handy on future visits. Beds were super comfty, close to where we were attending a session.

The water pressure in the bathroom sink was quite poor. I have nothing else negative to say!

The room was larger than expected and we were astounded by the separate kitchen and dressing area!! The location was very quiet and walking distance to most major attractions, just as advertised. The staff was exceptional from the front desk to the bellmen and the Garden Cafe staff. Breakfast was beautifully done. We were a large group and were accommodated in every way.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

I've stayed at the State Plaza about seven or eight times over the last three years. It's a great place to stay when visiting my child at George Washington University. I found the staff warm, kind, and professional. The rooms are lovely and comfortable. There's plenty to do and see near the hotel, including the nation's most beautiful museums and monuments.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

For our 2 night stay they forgot to clean our room. Parking is extra with tax parking was $46/night!!

Great location. Nice hotel however note there are 3 steps up to get to elevator. Comfortable beds and pillows. We had efficiency suite so it was great to have a break from eating out! Savings there to compensate for pricey stay.

We could have had free breakfast as part of the package. If State plaza owns the parking facility I would recommend for a free one drop-in & drop-out parking. From Check-in to Check-out time can be made for 24 hours instead of 21 hours.

The location, room, staff

The location was perfect. I loved the breakfast and being close to a pharmacy and liquor store. That was an added bonus. The staff was extremely helpful and very courteous. The kitchenette in the room was great! Hope to be back.

I wanted to run the AC unit fan for background noise but couldn’t get the temperature to stay comfortable. The shower curtain blew into me the whole time I showered.

Our room was clean, new, and fresh. The bathroom was beautiful.

Poor lighting in the rooms. Very difficult to read or study. Only one bedside light. Our bathroom window was difficult to close. Cold air seeped in at night.

Nice linens and comfortable Bed. Staff very helpful and friendly. We stayed for 5 nights. Great location for getting on and off the circulator. Close to the national mall. Convenient pharmacy next door. Soft towels and soft water.

• Deluxe 2 Queens

The valet parking was a little bit too much and the fact that my window was looking straight out to a brick wall outside.

The kitchen and seating are was an amazing surprise. The beds were comfy and room was spacious enough.

The room was an oasis of calm after a horrific experience at another hotel. The bed was very comfortable, and the staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome. The bathroom was tiny but dazzling and had one of the best showers I've ever experienced in a hotel. The small kitchen was very useful and well apportioned. We will stay here next time we come to D.C.

The space was very good and the little kitchen useful. The bathroom was luxurious. The location was outstanding with an easy walk to so many of the monuments and parks.

They don’t have a public restroom. It’s no big deal but a little bit inconvenient once you return your keys

The room is spacious and clean. Beds are comfortable. A CVS right beside. Walkable distance to the landmarks. Helpful staff.

The pictures were much nicer than the actual hotel, although the staff was very friendly and the location was great. Our AC in the hotel room was not the greatest.

The location and very friendly staff

We are travellers so we needed to do some laundry. The price in the hotel was very high so could not get it done there.

Location was great. It was walking distance to a lot of the major sites in Washington. Room size was good with plenty of space!

• Deluxe 2 Queens

I reserved this hotel in Tuesday, 300/Night, double beds room. However, when we arrived, we found the price decreased to 210/Night online, while we still had to pay $300 and couldn't cancel to re-book again. It is very unreasonable.

Good Location.

no view from the windows nothing in the fridge, no welcome drink/mini bar, which is strange if you have a kitchen no late check-out (apparently everything was booked) very small gym to go between wings you have to walk through a garage, awkward if you have a suitcase

The rooms were huge, with a seating area and a kitchen annex The pillows were very comfortable Very nice and friendly staff at the restaurant Nice breakfast items good speed internet

Heat/air was awful; not up to date! Could not access room easily without going down alley, across parking area. Did not feel safe. Homeless tents just outside building.

The reception area was mediocre. We were given tea and coffee and powder creamer in the room.When I queried why a 4 star hotel couldn't provide milk. I was told that is the policy and if I wanted milk I had to buy same. In my country even the most basic hotels provide milk. Not impressed at all.

The location was great