Reviews of Sterling Shores 3 stars

1751 Scenic Highway 98, Destin, FL 32541, USA

#21 of 173 hotels in Destin

Based on 46 apartment reviews

Great location. Friendly staff. Accommodations, disappointing.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

My unit was not the one pictured on Booking.com. The one pictured was gorgeous! The unit I got was dated and dirty. Upon check in the unit smelled horrible! It took my breath away and burned my nose. The staff addressed it immediately, stating it was the water heater needing to be dumped. But the smell was so bad we had to run buy plug ins to help. It wasn’t our only unexpected trip to the store. We had to clean our own bathtubs before they could be used! So we had to purchase cleaning supplies because there weren’t any in the unit.

I liked the location and close proximity to the beach and shopping for supplies and needs.

We were almost as sad about leaving this location as we were about leaving the beach itself.
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

The only thing I would have changed was the pool. It was beautiful, but cold. the temperature was about 75 degrees during our stay, but colder at night. This made it warm enough that we wanted to swim and cool off, but both the beach and the pool were still too cold. A heated pool would have been perfect.

Everything about the room was perfect! Very clean. There was plenty of room for all seven of us. All of the beds, even the smaller ones, were so comfortable that we ended up not even rotating throughout our stay as we had panned. The decorations were also very modern. The staff was excellent, as they made it clear they were available to assist, but we were never once bothered during our stay.

Building is well maintained.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Extremely small rooms. Master very small, 2nd bedroom so small there isn’t even a closet. So small have to move the bed to close the door. Bed extremely small. Appliances old, outdated and cheap. Only 6 coffee mugs, not many dishes. 25 years of renting condos in Destin and Ft Walton, this was the worst accommodations for the money ever. Will never rent at Sterling Shores again. Much nicer accommodations available at other condos and they are on the beach, not across the street. There are no drapes to pull to keep light out at night so bedrooms are bright. We had to hand a blanket over the window to sleep. Then we got a call after we left saying they were charging us $30 to clean the blanket because it got dirty from hanging on the window. Clean the window and hand drapes and this wouldn’t have happened. My advice, stay away, don’t rent a condo here.

Building is well maintained. Property is clean and well landscaped.

Good relaxing vacation with time well spent with the kids.
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Provide salt and pepper. Movies were hard to get. Prompted a phone call and offices were closed

Room was real nice. Close to beach. Very nice. Only complaint was weather was a bit cool, not much anyone can do about that.

Celebrating 10 wedding anniversary-Destin
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

didn't stay long enough and get to spend more time relaxing on the beach. We only came for a long weekend.

We returned to this condo to celebrate out 10yr anniversary. It was the same place just not the same room. Check in and out was the easiest I have ever experienced. I got an email a few days before our arrival and it gave me all the details that I needed. I could see pictures of the room we were staying in and it was exactly how it was pictured. I did have a question about the coffee maker in the room and emailed them with my question and received a reply right away. We had everything we needed to have a wonderful stay. Door had a keypad so we didn't have to worry about a key all the time to get in and out. Gates in & out of property had keypads as well. This place is close to everything and is easy to get in and out. If you get a room up high enough you might have a nice view of the beach. We didn't come to view the beach from our room. This condo is not on the beach but close enough to walk just across the street.

Amazing stay!!!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The view was amazing, The staff was very friendly. everything was ready when we showed up, we didn't have to wait. The beach was clean and the room was clean and comfortable

SS is a great place to stay.
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

No deep water pool. Beach could be used only if you rented an umbrella. Only a small space available on the beach to set up your own umbrella.

Beautiful condo, well stocked with necessities for comfort. We mostly ate in. Great view. Back Porch restaurant was across the street . We always eat there at least once. Great family depth pool.

Perfect enough said
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

I like the fact that everything was convenient surrounding us there was activities for the kids and for ourselves the staff was wonderful and kind and informative about events and helpful in any manner that we needed

Disappointed
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The size of the condo was fine, but the unit was ran down, scuffs on walls, knobs falling off the dressers, drapes had stains all over the backside, patio chairs were torn up, the couch had a stain on it and ripped along the bottom, and the chair had stains on them also, the shower doors would fall off track.

Loved the location, the pools were great and the beach was beautiful.

Our private oasis, Paradise with my baby!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

It was a little difficult getting thru security and finding out how to get our key, but a resident there assisted us.

Gorgeous Condo, Private, Quiet, Clean, Perfection!

Heavanly stay in a darling condo that made it hard for us to leave!
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

I felt badly that the furniture and cabinets were a little dinged up from all the people staying there, I'm sure it's to be expected, but I felt bad for the owners so we were very ginger with everything (note: the fridge, oven, dishes and towels were all like new and the decorating was so delightful it was hard to notice any wear and tear.) I was a tiny bit annoyed that the office did not have post card stamps available and that they closed so early (5:00) That might not seem early but that is when the beach services closes too, so we had to leave early to get back before the office was gone if we wanted to get movies or anything.

We arrived back home yesterday, and are homesick for condo 305 already!! I was so pleasantly surprised by our adventure. We have never done this before where you rent a condo rather than a hotel room and after this experience we would do it again for sure. The room was so well cleaned and appointed we had hardly any needs at all and when we did shopping was only a stones throw away. The actual building was well kept and PERFECTLY located! The landscaping was impeccable and the staff couldn't have been nicer. We were so excited that two chairs and an umbrella at the beach were included for our stay, that was such a nice treat. Not to mention free movies, and a beautiful TV in the bedroom in addition to the living room. We also enjoyed a lovely meal at the Back Porch Restaurant directly behind the property, right on the beach. Oh what a wonderful stay! Thank you so very much owners of 305 whoever you are ;-)

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Honeymoon
    • One-Bedroom Apartment

some directions with the TV, it had 3 remotes--no instructions. Still have not ever received a statement or receipt for my stay, the office was closed when I checked out--Please send me a Receipt!!

Bed was very comfortable

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

Great location and resort feel...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

A little hard to get in and out of property onto and off hwy 98 with traffic as there is no light and lots of cars criss-crosding over each other. Wish the pool closest to the hotel was heated, would have made our stay with the colder weather a little more enjoyable.

Very clean, decorated cute, great view, nice beach access and had our chairs on beach ready and waiting each day. Walking distance to a couple good restaurants.

Wonderful, we'll be back
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

The bed could be more soft.

Literally everything.

I can’t wait to go back!!

Everything was just right

Everything was just right

The front desk/office close at 5pm.
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

The front desk/office close at 5pm.

Great facility.

Price

Condo needed updated

Condo needed updated

Great condo, perfect location
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

Beautiful view of the beach from the balcony.

The view from balcony was amazing

The view from balcony was amazing

Sterling SHores a big hit!
    • Three-Bedroom Apartment

needed more vacuuming under the beds etc... some pots and pans were old and peeling.

stunning views, huge balcony and very spacious!!

Everything was amazing!!
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We didn't have any complaints

We thoroughly enjoyed everything. And the view from the balcony was amazing!

We loved everything about Sterling Resorts, location,...
    • Two-Bedroom Apartment

We loved everything about Sterling Resorts, location, closeness to beach, restaurant and more. We plan on coming back there next year.

Everything was Great!

Everything was Great!

The accommodations were great!! We will definitely come again!

Everything was perfect!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Apartment

Sleep couch mattress needs replacing. Worn out

• Reviewed: 27 May 2016

Location is perfect, staff were friendly & helpful,...

Condo was smaller than I was expecting. Was not impressed on first sight but worked out fine for my family of 6. Overall we truly enjoyed our stay.

Location is perfect, staff were friendly & helpful, pools were much enjoyed.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2016

I liked that you could sleep at night, it wasn't loud...

We had trouble with our key cards 3 times but it wasn't that big of a deal.

I liked that you could sleep at night, it wasn't loud and there were no crazy parties going on. We felt safe.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2015

We liked everything!

Not really a dislike, but the floors needed to be swept due to the sand and dirt that we brought in and there wasn't a broom in the unit. I'm a clean freak! lol

We liked everything!! The location was awesome! The unit was clean and comfy! Couldn't have asked for a better place to stay!! We will definately be back!

• Reviewed: 30 September 2015

Overall the stay was perfect.

The washer and dryer didn't seem to work as well as we needed, also, it would've been nice to have extra trash bags and kitchen towels. The master bedroom wasn't as roomy as we thought but we made due..

Overall the stay was perfect. I asked for a view.. I got it. And my friends and I enjoyed relaxing in our room instead of leaving and spending money, the full kitchen was defiantly a plus! The whole trip was fantastic! The view every morning is something I will never forget.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2015

Beautiful property.

No complaints. Maybe Destin could be more bike friendly, like Clearwater

Beautiful property. Went to Back Porch Restaurant all but one night because so close but very good food. Make sure you try Bochamp's Bar and Grill at sunset-absolutely beautiful and excellent food.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2015

My kids enjoyed the two pools and all the activities.

The beds were highly uncomfortable but that is to be expected. Also, walking around barefoot on the bedroom carpets made my feet dirty.

My kids enjoyed the two pools and all the activities. The movie night at the pool was a nice surprise!

• Reviewed: 14 June 2015

Loved view, landscape of the property, loved the balcony,...

Kitchen needs a little updating but it's functional. This is small request but a tea pitcher in kitchen would be helpful. When you walk into offices no one says may I help you or talks to you, you must talk to them first. Ebony & Ellen really nice on the phone!!! Hard to find ph number direct to the property when you book through Internet booking company! Our room very very expensive, don't know if can afford this again.

Loved view, landscape of the property, loved the balcony, pool, loved the location!!!

• Reviewed: 13 May 2015

This place was perfect for my family of 5.

I read the dislike reviews and truly did not have any of the same problems. I did not have to deal with the security guy but other than that our room was clean, no trouble with the code. ( if you call ahead they'll give it to you) and the beds were comfortable. TV in living room was hard to work ( couldn't switch it to did mode) but we did not come to watch tv.

This place was perfect for my family of 5. We had two children under 5 and they had a ball at the pool. So much that we only really swam at the beach once. The room had everything to include beach toys to a loaded kitchen. Clean and close to everything I'm destin. My favorite part was the back was a dead end road so it wasn't busy at all to cross to the beach. ( easily seen from balcony. And I called before to check on my booking and the lady was so nice and mentioned that if we did not like the room we could switch. ( I think it's bc we went the 2 week of May and they were pretty open) anyways loved it and so did the kiddos!!!

• Reviewed: 3 May 2015

I loved the balcony overlooking the gulf.

No bad experience. The condos are directly on a jet flight paths, which could be very, very loud at times. Also, we had a little bit of problem finding the right number to let us in the gate to the condos. Problem if people arrive late.

I loved the balcony overlooking the gulf. Easy access to beach and pool.

• Reviewed: 13 April 2015

Love the location.

There were no extra linens for the pull out bed. There were only 2 coffee cups. They came to replace the refrigerator during our stay making us have to wait around instead of leaving for the beach like we planned on going.

Love the location.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2015

The condo was roomy with a nice view of the pool and beach.

The staff was very pushy about not letting you sit close to the pool with your chairs when trying to watch small children was a pain. The beach chairs that were for rent totaaly blocked the beach. you could not set up your own chairs in front of theirs so if you wanted a view of hte beach you had to pay then $25 a day to rent their chairs very maddening! had to walk across street to beach

The condo was roomy with a nice view of the pool and beach. Liked being able to rent free DVDs and the Easter Egg hunt. close to alot of places

• Reviewed: 12 April 2015

staff extremely helpful/very timely response to concerns;

Our particular condo unit was in grave need of updating; unusable pull-out bed; very awkward kitchen lay-out; dishwasher in front of dish cupboards so have to keep closing waher to reach cupboards

staff extremely helpful/very timely response to concerns; grounds and pool areas very beautifully maintained

• Reviewed: 25 March 2015

room and view was nice

we had lot of problems getting hold of someone at the property. First they told us they would give a us a refund for the last night but then we did not get a refund. no one ever told us why. if u call the property no one answers. no one was available to checkus in. 8% fee which was charged which was not disclosed to us. we had booking for 5 people but sheets and pillows were given for 4 people only!! inspite of telling the front desk several times we never got the sheets.

room and view was nice

• Reviewed: 21 April 2016

pool not heated, unit needed some repairs, tv stations not adequate

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Evrithing!

I have to leave that place😟😟

Evrithing!!! Beautiful place!!

• Reviewed: 30 November 2015

Convenient to area attractions and close to the beach.

Convenient to area attractions and close to the beach.

• Reviewed: 13 November 2015

living room furniture need to be up graded.

living room furniture need to be up graded.especially living room, take out backless dining room set.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2015

Loved the view of the water from balcony

That the bar wasn't open at the smaller pool, but it was off season ( october)

Loved the view of the water from balcony

• Reviewed: 8 October 2015

Location was very nice.

Thought pool was heated but was not. Too cold to get in.

Location was very nice.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2015

The room was very well equiped as far as space and what we...

The room was very well equiped as far as space and what we needed

• Reviewed: 5 August 2015

the beach

the beach

• Reviewed: 26 July 2015

Location great

Office hours were restrictive. WiFi wouldn't work.

Location great

• Reviewed: 21 July 2015

First time renting a condo at the beach, and we cannot wait...

First time renting a condo at the beach, and we cannot wait to come back. We had the 2bedroom deluxe unit and it was breath taking!

• Reviewed: 19 July 2015

It was a great place to stay.

Wifi was two slow.

It was a great place to stay. Nice and clean. Staff was Also very friendly. Will love to come back again.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2015

Wifi didn't work most of the time!

Wifi didn't work most of the time!! No blow dryer in the room!! Staff were rude

• Reviewed: 22 June 2015

Wonderful location but horribly dirty carpets and...

Horrible sleeper sofa. Horribly dirty carpet that needed to be replaced.

Wonderful location but horribly dirty carpets and uncomfortable sleeper sofa

• Reviewed: 7 June 2015

Call upon staff for maintenance issue multiple times no one showed.

Great location. Everything basically within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 26 April 2015

we loved everything about Sterling Shores the rooms are so...

we loved everything about Sterling Shores the rooms are so nice and comfortable and we could see the beach from our room

• Reviewed: 8 April 2015

The grounds are safe and the pools are in a perfect place.

The grounds are safe and the pools are in a perfect place. The beach is just 75 feet away.

• Reviewed: 6 April 2015

The location was perfect , property is well kept, very clean.

The location was perfect , property is well kept, very clean.

• Reviewed: 5 April 2015

Proximity to the beach, close amenities, pool.

Constant noise from helicopters and planes.

Proximity to the beach, close amenities, pool.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2015

Everything was great from the hospitality of the staff to...

Everything was great from the hospitality of the staff to the guest that we met! It was a wonderful experience all the way around!!! Enjoyed it!

There are also 18 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.