Reviews of Congress Suites at the Strand 3 stars

1052 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

#324 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

5.9

5.2

Too noise plus the room they gave me had a really strong bad...

Too noise plus the room they gave me had a really strong bad smell that I could not sleep in my room. I gave the complain but they told me they would send somebody to clean and that never happened. The other option was to move from one building to another but I couldn’t do that cause I had my 3 other kids and my mom alone in other room Near the smelliest room. I had to sleep with my husband and my little 7 months baby in one single room with my 3 kids and my mom. The bad part is that I paid for the dirty room. Definitely is not a family hotel is a place to just hang out at night and be a the beach during the day Not recommending if you traveling with kids

We were not impressed in the least.
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

The website indicated we had a room with a balcony so we could sit outside but the confirmation received did not show a balcony. I called the hotel the following day and was told that we had a balcony. When we got to the hotel, we were told that we had not booked a room with a balcony and that they did not have one available (we should have got this in writing). Our room had two balcony doors, which led to a balcony that was too small to stand on, and neither of the balcony doors locked. We asked to have someone come fix the locks twice and this did not happen. The room only had one hand towel and no bath, face or kitchen towels. There were no paper towels or a radio as indicated on our confirmation. We only had one drinking glass and two plates and two forks. We asked for additional plates and were brought bowls. The phone did not work. The pool was clean the first day and was very disgusting after that. This was a very, very disappointing experience. I would definitely not recommend The Congress Hotel.

The staff was great other than management who told me over the phone we had a balcony and when we arrived they would not give us a room with a balcony.

• Junior Suite Queen

Not even a3.8 rate it’s a 0 .. This hotel is a completely nightmare.. trash ... mold on bed sheets , I never seen this before in my entire life beyond nasty.. service is horrible and they charge extra I’m still dealing with this nightmare my first time traveling to Miami and it the worst experience I ever been through..

The location is in the dead center of the heart of South...
    • Junior Suite Queen

Their is no room service that cleans your room, change your towels or take out your trash unless you request it.

The location is in the dead center of the heart of South Beach

• One-Bedroom Suite King

I was charge for stuff I didn’t even kno about I left the property they charge me more $$ booking receipts said $377 all taxes included and when I was over there they blame booking for it ... my flight was on Tuesday so added another day they said with taxes is $139 well they charge me $250 and like I said first 2 nights my reciept says $377 they charge $470 they ripped me off this is sad how they take your money and customer service front desk never kno nothing they give u phone numbers for top managers you will never get in touch

4.4
    My friends and I come to south beach every Memorial Day...
    • King Suite with Ocean View

My friends and I come to south beach every Memorial Day weekend for a girls trip and we always stay at the Congress... This time was totally different. No pool party’s. They took most of the furniture out of the pool area. They no longer even have a bar at the pool😔😒 very disappointed with my stay this time. The front desk had no idea what they where even talking about. We will be finding another place to stay for our trip next year.

No window shade next to bed sun wakes you up, elevator...
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

No window shade next to bed sun wakes you up, elevator broken, room key didn’t work several times, room phone didn’t work, housekeeping did not bring up fresh towels for a second night stay, loud loud loud you can hear everything going on outside

Needs better upkeep
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Facilities maintenance was needed. Elevator was malfunctioning the whole stay. Staff didn't mention it until we were stuck on the first floor and asked about it.

Room size was satisfactory.

The worst hotel to stay in.

Everything, the photo you see on booking.com or other website, its not what you gona get. Congress is not a regular hotel, its a condominium with many new owners. You have to pay $15 per day for them to clean your room😡. The rooftop pool its tge worst. Dont go by the picuters on the website, LOL. Everything inthe room was broken. Never again, i come to this condominium.

Its on ocean drive, right across from the beach, the staff where very friendly.

Good location, right in the middle of everything
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

It was a little noisy at night...parking instructions were not clear upon arrive since the entrance is right on ocean dr

Good location, right in the middle of everything

My business vacation
    • Junior Suite King

I only was given 1roll of tissue, room wasn't as clean as I would have expected. Phones weren't working the whole weekend so I had to walk down to the lobby for anything I needed. It was cold in the room the entire time even after having the heat on for an hour. I get cold easily. Television only had 1channel and the remote didn't work.

I loved the location and the staff were extremely friendly. Only people with keys had access to entire the room areas so I felt safe, being the fact that I traveled alone. Rooftop pool area was nice with a beautiful view.

Excellent location.
    • King Suite with Ocean View

I asked for a set of towels twice and no one ever showed up. we had to use the same ones that were there when we checked in for a two night stay. The noise can be a problem if you want to go to bed early. Pool was abandoned by cleaning crew. There were some cups and napkins on the bottom.

The location was perfect and the temperature of the room was great considering how hot it is outside.

The quality of my room within distance of the beach.
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

They didn’t service my room. I only had one roll of toilet paper for 3 days lol then when I requested more it took like 15 mins. I had to have someone go somewhere else to get me some faster than the service at my hotel

The quality of my room within distance of the beach.

Worst hotel experience ever! Hotel did not meet any expectations.

Terrible service at check in, terrible staff, hotel does not state that they have 3 separate buildings and pool DOES NOT have bar.

Location but there are plenty of other hotels in the same area.

Loved the view from my balcony!
    • King Suite with Ocean View

The room was dirty when I got there. First thing a saw when I walked in was a roach crawling on the kitchen counter. It seemed like no one had stayed in the room for a while and everything was dusty and sticky. The shower curtains were moldy. The bed sheets and towels had stains on them. The rail holding up the shower curtains fell on my head. I was disappointed because the room itself was very spacious and the balcony was huge, I had the corner unit so it wrapped around. The staff was friendly but they did the bare minimum to fix my issues.

Loved the view from my balcony!

• Junior Suite King

Starting with the odd. When you book a hotel room, you expect it to be cleaned during the stay. Not the case. You had to pay extra! Room was large, but poorly maintained. See the hold in the carpet, and open electrical socket on the wall. The door on the room was not able to be secured from the inside. The deadbolt in the door did not align with the door jam. Worse of all was cleanliness. See the photos of the room air vent, they were all like this. The filter (couldn’t attach) clearly not changed in a long time.

Location. That’s it

Not Nice
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

They say first impressions last and the first issue here was finding exactly where you enter the hotel, There's the big sign down the front of one of the buildings, but there is no indication of where reception is. Its actually in another building across the alley behind The Palace Bar, but doesn't even mention the Congress at the doors. The first door just leads to a lift and a stair but no reception. Had to wait until the receptionist had finished with other business before I could even find out if I was in the correct place. My room was in other building, so back across the alley and up the lift, first thing that hits you is the bad smell, in the room it is musky and damp, though with the dull lighting it doesn't look too bad, if you can ignore the smell. The room was a decent size with living room/kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Walls, curtains, blinds are all damaged and dirty though. As I was there for 5 nights I went out and bought air fresheners and odour absorbers. Also bought disinfectant wipes as it was far from clean and the toilet was still dirty from previous occupants. Although it had a reasonably furnished kitchen there was no way I'd use any of it for food preparation, I couldn't even face the coffee machine. Tried to open some windows, some of the blinds wouldn't open and they were all totally filthy. Eventually I found out that the windows, big sliding doors to outside, though there wasn't really a balcony, just a few inches covered with barriers. they were jammed closed with pieces of wood. Taking off the wood I got one window open which helped freshen the room a bit. Before I went out for cleaning supplies, I tried to lock up my valuables, but the safe was already locked. Went to reception to get someone to come unlock it, they never did come. I had to take most of my valuables with me and hide the rest.

Location at heart of South Beach and view from roof top pool. Was too cold to use pool though so can't comment further on it. Only other thing I liked about the hotel was leaving it for somewhere nicer.

Pleasently suprized after reading negative reviews?

All good. Had no isuses

Great location. Air con in room had a problem. I told reception and even though it was 7pm an engineer came within 30 mins and fixed it 😊

Nice location, bad room.

Shabby room! Leakage in the bathroom (water on the floor). Poorly equipped kitchen. We had only one glass and not enough knives and forks. No table on the balcony.

Perfect location! Nice roof top pool and close to the beach.

Never again, pay more and stay at a resort not an escort hotel
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Disgusting room, absolutely dirty never stayed in a hotel that filthy to where you can’t even look out of the windows because how dirty they were too, paid $15 a day for resort fee which including a free hour drinking each day and there was no bar so was false advertisement, would never stay here again nor encourage people to stay here it’s disgusting and very rude people at the desk

Good vidw

I would not recommend the hotel
    • Junior Suite Queen

I don’t like the facilities of the hotels, so bad internet connection sometimes doesn’t work. Telephone doesn’t work, I told them to replace it but they didn’t. TV doesn’t work too. The room was doesn’t clean well and when I told the housekeeper to clean she said its $15 to clean it, I said why and she says this the role of the hotel. It is so expensive in contrast with facilities. I would not recommend the hotel

I like a location of the hotel, it is in the middle of ocean rd so you can get all what you need like restaurants and bars easily.

I like the fact that is comfortable when it comes to the bed...
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Daily we had to get a new room key because it would not open out gate or the room It was missing shade from the window light bald from the lamps the rooftop pool has no bar

I like the fact that is comfortable when it comes to the bed and pillows

Great location, friendly staff, nice rooftop pool, room was not clean
    • Junior Suite Queen

Rooms were nice, but were not clean (my wife cleaned/disinfected) . Located in the middle of the action also means very loud parties just outside our window until 3am (outside bar in front of hotel is major party spot). But we did come to South Beach for the party so bring earplugs.

We were greeted by a very friendly & helpful staff. We arrived hours before our check-in time and Tamas & staff had great energy and were very accommodating by storing our bags and offering access to the pool area. Rooftop pool is very nice. Location is perfect, right in the middle of the Ocean Drive action.

Spend the extra money to go to someplace nicer you'll be glad you did
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

I paid for a king suite with ocean view and balcony but got a sliding door overlooking an alley asked for refund but got the runaround from booking.com and the property manager Samantha.second day I notice my rm has roaches and to no avail I ask for refund or relocation this place is a dump on a nice strip of ocean

The only good thing about this hotel is the location on south beach other than that it's a basic motel

I enjoyed my stay in Miami
    • Junior Suite Queen

I didn't like the fact that the entry door did not lock, the pool towel policy of leaving ID at the front desk. I never received my luggage after calling twice. My daughter had to go downstairs and pick them up herself. The top refrigerator door woulf not open unless you open the hotel door. The Front Lady at the desk was not very helpful when asked information

I enjoyed the view of the beach from the pool. The proximity of the hotel to the beach.

When I got there and checked in I only received one key they...

When I got there and checked in I only received one key they told me it’s $25 for an extra key. The room was filthy. They do not clean the rooms you have to pay $15.00 for it. The elevator did not work and there was no light in the staircase I have to use my phone for light.

Most horrible hotel I've ever stayed at.
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

The hotel need an update. My first night i was in a room that smell like old water. The linen , and shower was dirty, lights and light fixtures didn't work. Customer service was horrible. I took so many picures but it only let you upload 4 . Second night moved to a new room after i complained from the night before room was smaller but Samantha at the front desk had an attitude like we did something to her. . I will never ever stay here again.

The Pictures Are Nothing Like The Actual Stay !

Staff was horrible we requested early check in two days prior to our arrival we got to the hotel 10am on 8/27/2017 the front desk told us that our room wasn't ready yet and would be ready around 12 we come back it still wasn't ready the lobby was dirty the couches were worn down hallways were dirty old food just laying around the bathrooms were filthy the room was the only clean place on the property the balcony was so little and you can forget the city view your looking at an alley and a parking garage I hated our stay !!!!

The room was a fair size

Not good.
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

We almost didn't like anything about this hotel. Everything was dirty. Our room had lots of bugs all over the room and especially in the kitchen area. We did not recieve any sort of room service through our 6 days of stay. The wifi was super slow and the elevator did not work. The only day that elevator worked someone spilled cooking oil in it and no one clean it up until later that day. Long story short, nothing was good about this place.

The only thing that we liked about the hotel was the location. It was few steps from the beach.

Do not stay at this hotel
    • King Suite with Ocean View

There was no mattress on the sofa bed. There was roaches in the bathroom. Insects in mattress from another room they offered us to stay in. The room looked very dingy . Furniture was old

Ocean view right on strip

Amazing rooftop pool but watch for surcharges and room maintenance
    • Junior Suite Queen

The room looked very nice on the surface but on closer look the dishwasher was not working, the sink was clogged and leaking, the shower curtain rail was broken off, etc. Very high extra costs! On second look on booking.com it did indeed mention the extra charges, but in the small print only. 15 dollars per person per night resort fee! I guess that is normal there but I was not happy.

The rooftop pool was amazing. It was like swimming in coffee and the view was great. We enjoyed the pool especially at happy hour, when the friendly barman serves free drinks for the hotel guests. Bed was comfortable.

This place relies on location
    • Junior Suite King

I didn't like the customer service from most of the front desk staff. They seemed to not be knowledgeable at all and really weren't interested in solving issues. I also didn't enjoy how long it took for issues to be resolved, the first room they wanted to put us in was 4th floor with no working elevator and the whole building was dirty (Food, old stains,diseased carpet and the rooftop pool was dirty.Management was never on the premises during my entire 5 day stay. The building where you check is the better building..

I liked the view from the balcony, location, and that my issues were resolved eventually.I also liked that the rooms had kitchens. I also liked Gonzalez, he was very pleasant as well as the lady at the desk when my other party arrived on Sunday.

Never again - they're thieves
    • Junior Suite King

Staff are unhelpful They sneak extra charges in, even after you've left the hotel they still take money from your account Happy Hour is literally an hour Anyone can use the pool - there's no security, it's also not well kept. I'm pretty sure someone was sleeping the cabana as well Not worth the money

Good location, close to the beach.
    • Junior Suite King

Being in a seperate builiding to the pool and having to walk past restaurants to get to it. Loud at night until about 2am. The bed was a lot smaller than a king. Some of the staff were amazing, but a few were not. One didn't seem to care that our safe was broken and another rolled their eyes at us when we asked if they had any scales.

Good location, close to the beach. Huge apartment size and good kitchen. Free drinks from 5-6 at the rooftop pool. Locked entry into the apartments. A lot of food options around too (but a lot cheaper if you go off ocean drive)

• Junior Suite Queen

Hotel is really dated and in serious need of some renovation. Unstable wifi-connection. Our room was away from the main street, so I thought it would be fairly quiet. However, there was some sort of generator directly over our room. It woke us every time it turned on (often). The sofa-bed was really poor and uncomfortable.

Fantastic location close to the beach, in the middle of art deco district. Loads of restaurants and bars.

Do not stay
    • Junior Suite Queen

As you walk up to the hotel large groups of people hanging outside drinking making it difficult to get through with luggage. Room was dirty, view was looking at a garbage bin, my room also stank of cannabis. Asked to speak with a manager reception said it's all done over the phone...Hotel would not refund .. Hotel very very bad so much we lost over £200 dollars as they will not refund.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Very noisy!
    • Junior Suite King

Far far too loud with music from all the bars just below the rooms. Music goes until 2am. No sleep was had until at least 2 every night

The location was spot on

Good but not like it used to be.
    • Junior Suite Queen

Every time I stay here the perks reduce more and more each time. No maid service not included in your accommodations, completely unheard of. You used to have availability of beach chairs and umbrellas, that doesn't happen anymore. Champmage at check in doesn't happen anymore. I have to find a new home away from home.

I have been staying at this location for over 7 years and the location is great if you are planning to hang out on Ocean Drive. The staff changes but in the last two years I find Amarliz very sweet and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

My overall experience at Congress
    • Junior Suite King

The staff was terrible. They were very rude and caught attitudes every time I asked a question. The front desk receptionist told me and a couple of other guests that if the retro stair door was closed then we need to "just wait until someone comes down the stairs" because the elevator was broken the whole trip. Also when I called downstairs to ask about the happy hour offered at the hotel, check out times, and about the hotels amenities...the receptionist was rude and hung up before I was finished asking my second question. As far as the hotel, the hotel had a nice location but the elevators were broken so we had to climb five flight of stairs every time. The receptionist propped something in the stairwell door and that was completely not safe because just anyone could walk into the hotel since the entrance is on the street. There was also no housekeeeping done our whole vacation stay. The first day we got the hotel I noticed that the sheets were dirty and they never came to change them. Overall terrible experience, from the staff to the hotel. I will never recommend this location unless some changes are done.

I liked that the property was close to the beach

• Reviewed: 26 April 2017

Beware of Congress Hotel, Miami Beach.
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Room was above 2 competing restaurants that played loud music until 4am for the 2 nights we were staying at Congress and room was not soundproof. Impossible to sleep even with earplugs in place. Room was in a state of neglect, balcony could not be properly secured, leaking bathroom taps.

Very good location, close to South beach entertainment hub.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Location was great size and rooms were great

They add on too much fees that are not described in the booking. Pool lounges need updating. Hallways needs updating. Chairs on balcony needs updating everything is rusting.

Location was great size and rooms were great

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Would not stay here, much too expensive for poor accommodations.
    • Junior Suite Queen

Owner misrepresented additional sleep facilities. Was a fold open leather couch with rigid beam down the middle of it and broken apron cushions to either side. No sheets. 20 year old blanket. Stained carpets. Car freshener hanging in front of the AC duct made apt smell like awful used car. Might have been better than natural smell?

Very little

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Great place on Ocean Drive
    • Junior Suite Queen

Nothing on this stay. I've been staying here since it was the Strand.

Staff is always excellent. Hotel always smells good. When you call the front desk they are so accommodating. It feels like family.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

Probably ideal for younger people

The noise.......needed to be made aware it is noisy BUT a mandatory charge for use of roof pool with a happy hour which was not suitable and not required

Handy for beach, bars and restaurants.

Terrible

Hotel had no housekeeping took two days to get a washcloth frt desk had no answers “we just hand out room keys”

i will not refer this hotel to anyone else
    • Junior Suite Queen

The phone in the room didn't work. No clean towel were available in a timely manner. I

Nice location and bed was comfortable.

It was super dirty and out dated.

Cleanliness

It was super dirty and out dated. Do not expect a nice hotel staying here. I felt really dirty

• King Suite with Ocean View

No room service for 2 days. Requested towels and toilet paper 2 days straight and never received. Several complaints and no assistance.

Housekeeping should clean rooms daily and supply more towels...
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Housekeeping should clean rooms daily and supply more towels and wash cloths in rooms

Lift took forever.
    • King Suite with Ocean View

Lift took forever. Issues with hot water not coming through

It was roaches everywhere so nasty I have seen them in year really creep me out I didn’t even want t
    • King Suite with Ocean View

I have pictures and videos

Balcony

Perfect location. Very comfortable and spacious room

No view. We saw a wall

Sheets were dirty, cracks in bathroom photos didn’t match...
    • Junior Suite Queen

Sheets were dirty, cracks in bathroom photos didn’t match room

Make sure you get the right Suite don't let them rush you because they're busy when you check in
    • Junior Suite Queen

The bait-and-switch I apply for one room I got a smaller room

Service did not accommodate my early check in from my cruise.
    • Junior Suite Queen

Service did not accommodate my early check in from my cruise. Waited nearly 4 hours for my room. Hotel felt understaffed

Nothing really

Nothing really

The room was dirty, everything was lame or broken or sticky. There wasn't even bathroom curtain in t
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

The room was dirty, everything was lame or broken or sticky.

Disappointed
    • Junior Suite King

Check in to late and took too long cause rooms were not clean

Nothing dirty 3 different rooms

Bad

Didn't want to help Guest

Great location and value!
    • One-Bedroom Suite King

Dead bolt didn't work, nor did safety chain.

Huge room in the Retro tower. The location is great!

Worst experience ever

Worst experience ever

Great view of beach from roof top pool, central location

Room could have been cleaned better,found a sock and other things under bed and sofa

Great view of beach from roof top pool, central location

Overpriced restaurants

Prices

Overpriced restaurants

No housekeeping

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Hotel can be a wonderful property. With better communication between staffs.
    • Junior Suite Queen

Check in was horrible for me . However everything was sorted out.

Location was great. You are in the heart of South Beach.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

The hotel is perfectly situated inbetween nightlife, bars,...
    • Junior Suite Queen

elevator was out of order, water partly not running.

The hotel is perfectly situated inbetween nightlife, bars, restaurants and Beach!!

• Reviewed: 3 June 2017

Very clean

Don't have any dislikes

Very clean

It was "horrible"

It was horrible my room had roaches and a whole in the wall

• Reviewed: 14 February 2017

Super clean, amazing bathroom, lots of space, incredible...
    • Junior Suite Queen

Super clean, amazing bathroom, lots of space, incredible views and all right at the front of the Southbeach action.

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Good

Na

Na

Cheap Miami getaway
    • Junior Suite King

The noise from outside didn't get much sleep.

Room facilities Great view

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

location is very good
    • Junior Suite Queen

rooms are a bit small facility lacking

location is very good

• Reviewed: 22 May 2016

Excellent location, lovely rooftop pool

Check in was extremely slow, it took almost an hour for the receptionist to process our booking and get to the room. However, all staff were very polite.

Excellent location, lovely rooftop pool

• Reviewed: 27 February 2016

Location is good as long as you don't mind the noise...

1. Hotel consists of 4-5 buildings. Our party (2 rooms) was not even in the same building. 2. Studio Suite doesn't even have dresser drawers. 3. Mattresses are hard, similar to a futon. Bed frame sticks out way beyond mattress, ready to hit you in the shin as you walk by. 4. Bathtubs are beautiful but most impractical (impossible to have a shower without getting everything wet, dangerous (slippery tub surface, high sides with no handhold for climbing in and out, no towel bar near the sink, etc).

Location is good as long as you don't mind the noise (street, bars, restaurants, crowds). Staff very nice.

There are also 42 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.