Reviews of Sunset Marquis Hotel 4 stars

1200 North Alta Loma Road, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA 90069, USA

#13 of 376 hotels in Los Angeles

5.5

• Reviewed: 14 October 2018

always great , feels like an oasis within the city
    • Junior Villa

Smoking area directly outside entrance to restaurant / spa / suites , could be moved slightly to the left ( another seating area ) so everyone doesn’t have to walk Through this area

Quality & selection were all good

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

Good and I would stay again.
    • Superior Villa

The 'disco'/DJ's around the pool is not needed. They should stop this new activity immediately, it's HORRIBLE! If I want to go to a pool party or a disco, I'll go elsewhere for one. I want peace, relaxation & quiet!

The privacy and the surroundings

• Reviewed: 6 October 2018

Location, Stylish, Clean, Nice Staff
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

We stayed in first floor: 1. You can exactly heard what happen upstairs. 2. A bit gloomy and cold, smell moldy in the room..

Location, Stylish, Clean, Nice Staff

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

All the staff were super friendly and the restaurant was amazing. Usually restaurants in hotels are
    • Standard King Room

Lovely welcome on arrival. Our room was not ready but the manager gave us a tour of the property and then left us to enjoy a drink in the garden which was beautiful. About 10 mins later, we were advised that our room was ready and our luggage already in the room.

Always the most perfect stay in every way. The best of the best !
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

I have been a loyal customer of the Sunset Marguis since the early 1980 tees. It's my favourite hotel. The staff are tremendously helpful. The hotel is amazing in every way. The suites with the terraces on the ground floor are extremely comfortable. The Villas like a second home. The Cavatina food is just fabulous. It's a magnificent hotel that I would highly recommend. I always look forward to my next stay. The grounds are tremendously beautiful. The hotel has a perfect laid back relaxed feel. I would like to thank everyone ( the whole staff for their amazing customer ( guest service). This is without a doubt the best hotel in the world. Myself and my husband are both in the music industry. This establishement is perfect for us and for any guest that are looking for an oasis of beauty, calm cool surroundings in the middle of West Hollywood. It's truly a gem. I very much look forward to my next stay. My husband too. Thank you to everyone at the Sunset Marquis for always making sure our stay is a memorable extremely comfortable one. 5 Star service. 5 Star guest accommodations. 5 Star grounds ( pools etc ). 5 Star food and drinks. And a great addition to have the recording studio right under this amazing home away from home now too. The very best hotel . Anyone would have an unforgettable stay in this landmark establishment. Highly recommend this hotel . A must for any traveler to LA. Thanks again for another amazing stay. Cecilia and Dave Edmunds.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

It was a beautiful oasis in the middle of hectic LA.
    • Standard King Room

It was a beautiful oasis in the middle of hectic LA. The bed was a dream. The restaurant was perfectly set and had delicious food and the wait staff were all extremely nice.

West Hollywood Junket

Pool lounges always full and diffcult to get by the pool

Great location and friendly envionrment. Facilitates excellent and room suite was a fantastic size

Perfect location for a perfect hotel!
    • Standard King Room

The hotel was fantastic and the team was lovely. They were ready to accommodate any requests at any time of the days and the night. but more than everything the location is THE BEST! You can go anywhere just walking or with Uber at very affordable price. I would highly recommend this hotel and I would definitely go back.

Loved the upper pool and service!
    • Standard King Room

We are coffee fanatics, so we were a bit disappointed to hear they only served coffee in the lobby until 7:30 am, and no coffee machine in the room.

My husband and I loved the pool, and the location of the hotel. It has everything you need while not feeling pretentious. We also took advantage of the day passes to Equinox (5 star gym) across the street! Be sure to hike up Runyon Canyon - it's not too far away!

Best accommodation I have had in all my peripatetic travels.
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

This question is wholly superfluous; there is nothing not to like.

Best accommodation I have had in all my peripatetic travels. So much so, I extended my stay by a fortnight. I will always come back. Always.

Little hidden gem in LA!
    • Standard King Room

Very cool place. A little oasis in the middle of West Hollywood - the hotel is surrounded by palm trees and lush vegetation. The staff is really helpful and the open-air restaurant is very relaxed -in a cool setting.

Enchanted Forest
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Loved the location and the overall feeling that you were someplace other than LA. When sitting in the restaurant you felt like you were in an enchanted forest. The lights on the trees, the water falls, and cool breezes. Just a lovely hotel and great experience.

The suite is very spacious and luxurious, staff are very...
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

The water pipes were very loud when the people upstairs flush their toilet or turn on their taps late at night. Overall speaking, it is a relatively a bit expensive for what you will get.

The suite is very spacious and luxurious, staff are very helpful and friendly, the courtyard is very beautiful, restaurant is very nice and not too expensive, location is amazing

Great central location but tucked away
    • Standard King Room

Everything was great, we wouldn’t change anything! (Except the weather, which didn’t cooperate)

When we got our room it wasn’t what we expected based on a previous stay at this hotel. We inquired if we could upgrade and they ended up putting us on the same room we had last time for no extra charge, which was really nice. Next time I will find out which room to book to get the right one! We really enjoyed the accommodations and location was central to some of the places we went. We will definitely stay again, it’s in the middle of the city but is tucked away and quiet so really convenient but also low key.

California Dream
    • Standard King Room

No chip and pin system for card payments on check out which could be problematic. Thanks to the duty manager (sorry didn't get your name) who used her common sense to sort it out. Evening dining experience was on the poor side.

Breakfasts were superb (especially when you can watch humming birds while you eat). All staff were excellent Katie & Terry in the 1200 bar, Gustavo and Frank breakfast servers, Preston and Logan the porters are worth special mention. Top class guys.

The best hotel ever

Honestly, this was probably the best hotel I have ever stayed at. I don't even want to go into details, everything was perfect from the very small things to the ones that you expect. Whenever we in LA, we will always come back, that's 100%.

A hidden gem.
    • Standard King Room

There is nothing anyone could not like here.

The outdoor space here is completely beautiful with masses of small intimate seating areas outside. The restaurant is spacious mostly outdoors with heaters for when it is cold and the food was some of the best we had on our trip. I loved this place. Fab iconic photos everywhere.

• Superior One-Bedroom Suite

The bar was closed for renovation when we stayed which we did not know in advance.

I love this place, so central yes feels a million miles from everywhere else especially if in the gardens.

a nice way to end a honeymoon
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

they upgraded us to a villa which was wonderful. the food was delicious in the restaurant. the location of the hotel was perfect. the staff was extremely nice and helpful.

A relaxing oasis in a perfect location - can't wait to book my next trip here!
    • Standard King Room

The bed was a dream! Dinner and breakfast at Cavatina were exceptional! The pool area was beautiful, well-attended, and like an escape from the world! Best pool-side house margarita I've ever had! The surrounding lush gardens and walkways were absolutely stunning and made for some wonderful little reading hideaways during our stay. Best facial I've ever had at the Spa! 5 minute walk to some of the best restaurants and shops on Sunset Avenue The most friendly hotel staff!

Home away from home.
    • Standard King Room

So much to love about this property. From the firm yet soft feather beds and fluffy comforters and Frette sheets, to the outdoor covered stunning restaurant, to the fun perky rock and roll bar to the two lovely pools, there is really nothing negative to say. Whether you book a regular room, or are in a villa, all the accommodations here are pretty, hip, comfortable and spacious. Even the shower curtain is thoughtful, as it bows out and doesn't attack you.

Fabulous time at an exceptionally run hotel
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Absolutely loved our stay at the Sunset Marquis. Upon arrival we were told our room had been upgraded to one of their "Villas" which was a lovely surprise. Had a fabulous suite with separate bedroom and living area. The staff is wonderful and goes out their way to treat you like royalty.

I enjoyed the blast from the past feel about the place.

My room smelt a little "Smokey" even though it was non smoking, hallways felt tired but Room and Bathroom were great

I enjoyed the blast from the past feel about the place. Well kept historic Hollywood diamond with great pool and outdoor areas, tranquil and green. I had the Junior Suite which was nice.

Nice getaway in LA, close to all the attractions

Some areas of the hotel and the rooms are a bit outdated, they put an inner protection to the matress which makes the bed too soft to sleep comfortably

Perfect location, extremely helpful staff, nice bar, great gym partnership with equinox, 2 pool areas, cute little patios hidden in the hotel, delicious complementary morning coffee

Oasis of comfort and delight in West Hollywood
    • Standard King Room

There is nothing to see or do in the neighborhood. However, all of LA is an Über drive away.

The bed pillows and linens, and towels were perfectly heavenly. Only the mattress seemed a little too soft in places. Property is gorgeous, both the landscaping and architecture.

Cool ambience, excellent location and spotless!
    • Standard King Room

Would have appreciated tea and coffee facilities in our room.

The whole property was spotless with a great vibe! Loved the pool and restaurant areas. The bed and shower were amazing. Overall the ambience was luxury and cool and we had access to 5 star gym.

Fantastic!
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

The only thing was the bed in the room wasn't as good as our first visit. The mattress was fairly worn-out.

It was as expected. This wasn't our first time staying there.

Refreshed and renewed in unexpected paradise
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

I didn't like paying for wifi. I thought that was a bit stingy. There should be more complementary things.

I loved the outside spaces, the decor, the restaurant. The coffee was excellent. But I have to say again, the outside spaces were spectacular. I loved the gallery and the photos throughout.

The property was beautiful and relaxing, yet it had a funky...
    • Standard King Room

The property was beautiful and relaxing, yet it had a funky vibe. The staff was attentive and polite. The bed was extremely comfortable and the restaurant, Cavatina, was an oasis with incredibly delicious food. We will definitely return.

Rock and roll hotel
    • Junior Villa

That they would not give me a late check out when asked as I hate the sun.

I stayed in the Sunset Marquis several years ago. You should be aware this hotel has changed completely. I kept looking for the small cottages and they had gone, replaced by suites, an outside restaurant, two swimming pools, a sitting area. Very little inside space. It is immaculate but a little dark inside, It still has charm. It has people from the media world who actually work. This is a rock and roll hotel.

noisy room, ask for a different area

Do Not stay by the bar, my room was on the 3rd flr above the bar and it was EXTREMELY noisy till 2:30AM, so unless you plan to party till then, you will be very unhappy!

great brunch and service with a smile! loved the room but not the noise.

Valet parking.

Bed was a disaster. Mattress has a "hill" in the center meaning both sides were "sank". Very uncomfortable.

Valet parking. Bathroom equipment

Too expensive for its quality
    • Standard King Room

Too many plastic chairs ...even the elevator is paneled with plastic ..corridors painted in a dark colour with gloomy atmosphere . The hotel needs a new decoration..

Valet parking

Fantastic stay!
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

The walls were very thin, could hear other guests moving around early in the morning.

Excellent location for bars and restaurants. Cool resort, great restaurant and bar

A nice evening at the marquis
    • Standard King Room

I was hoping to see a celebrity, but not this trip.

I was here in the 80's, haven't been back since and a lot has changed. It is a beautiful property. The room was on the small side, but we were only there one night. Over all it was very comfy.

• Reviewed: 28 January 2017

Enjoyable stay!
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

You can hear hallway noise...other hotel guest and housekeeping. Maybe getting new doors for the rooms.

the rooms are nice but the hallways are dingy. The ability to use Equinox gym was great which was right across the street.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

So so...
    • Standard King Room

I stayed at this hotel several years ago and it was amazing. Unfortunately something has happened since then. No charm left at all. The straff at the reception and the restaurant (except the waiters) were not very friendly nor helpful. My one year old found nuts on the floor in our room when we checked in. Expensive WiFi.

Great shower! The neighborhood / area is A+

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Lovely oasis
    • Deluxe Villa

In 2016 no one should be paying extra for Wi fi. The bar was closed refurbishment so ambience in the place was a little muted.

Amazing room, magical gardens. So peaceful yet so central.

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

• Standard King Room

Noisy. Thin walls and ceilings mean you can hear your neighbours talking and walking around the flat. Plumbing seems to rattle. Pleasant staff and a good option for the under 35s, but for those of us a little older, the best western up the road is better option all round.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

A fading celebrity ..needs some serious sound proofing work done !
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Noise Noise Noise- the basic point of most hotels is to sleep Avoid rooms on the street front of hotel with the local petrol heads + loud people you need ear plugs to sleep - the room doors have no soft close mechanism and the slamming of doors is horrendous ..the walls literally move ! The doors also have no sound proofing you hear pretty much every sound in the corridors.

Suite rooms are spacious - close to Sunset Strip - nice courtyard and garden areas - comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Girls hollywood get away
    • Superior Villa

The pool got so shady so early. Probably due to the early fall arrival. Obviously you can't do much about that. But a roof top sundeck in the future would be the crescendo to a great property.

The bed was so comfortable. The bell man was so fun and helpful. I think his name was Will (shaggy brown hair). Also the turn down service was very well done. Also having the soap products from molton brown was a great touch.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Stellar hotel - for Rock music history fans it's a must

comfy bed great big bathroom poolside room with private lounge area (jr suites are great) special request: birthday champagne and cake on arrival per a small email request - were amazing

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

Second Stay at The Sunset Marquis
    • Standard King Room

Standard King Rooms lack the comfort, size, and amenities of Suites. Small room, no refrigerator. Some parts of the bathroom in obvious need of renovation. No water, juice, or snacks included in room rate.

Lovely location on quiet side street, enchanting villa gardens and pool, delicious California Cuisine at Cavatina, 24 hour room service, art gallery, recording studio, and spa on premises. Unique, creative-minded hotel.

Wonderful Sunset Marquis
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Location and staff. Suite was lovely right at pool. Excellent hotel with lots of history

LOVE IT HIGHLY RECOMMEND
    • Standard King Room

the beds are amazing and the atmosphere is fantastic

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Great get away.
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

This is a high end facility. It cost more because of the quality of the services.

Great get away. We love LA

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Righteous

L A.

Good location in West Hollywood
    • Standard King Room

Looks dated. Carpet in the room was dirty and noisy at night.

Good location in West Hollywood

Great hotel, private and central tucked away in a forest in the middle of West Hollywood
    • Standard King Room

Lovely hotel tucked away in a garden in the centre of West Hollywood. Great location

It’s like staying in a beautiful art gallery.
    • Junior Villa

It’s like staying in a beautiful art gallery.

Superb

Excellent stay from start to finish

I don’t know where to begin this property was so amazing one...

Nothing everything was beautiful😎

I don’t know where to begin this property was so amazing one of the best in Hollywood I would say🤩🦋🌴☀️

It’s a cool hotel very rockstar but classy
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Big room very clean great bathroom

Very good

Shower wasn’t working properly

The vibe

Nice quiet hotel
    • Superior One-Bedroom Suite

Musty corridors to the room and no coffee maker in the room.

Nice quiet hotel and friendly staff and a comfy room.

Pleasant and comfortable.

The shower control.! Having to pay for WiFi WiFi speed slow

The size of the rooms The location

Will diffently come back

Very clean and nice ! Great property

Great stay!

Paid wifi, paid parking

Great location, staff, size of rooms and lovely setting and food at the restaurant

FABulous!

Extra cost for WiFi

Staff so lovely. Bed so comfortable. Location the best!

Great quiet location, atmosphere, but won’t be back until food service is upgraded.
    • Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Room service menu and food limited and not well-prepared. Menu at Restaurant similarly quirky and not enjoyed by my guests.

I could live there :)
    • Standard King Room

Love everything about this hotel & the Sunday brunch best ever!!!

Friendly staff and really comfortable bed.

The exterior of the building needs upgraded

Friendly staff and really comfortable bed.

Comfortable and staff were excellent

Comfortable and staff were excellent

Liked the layout of the hotel grounds
    • Standard King Room

Down the corridors leading to the rooms very gloomy

Liked the layout of the hotel grounds

Everything was amazing '!

Everything was amazing '! Would stay again in a heart beat

Need to pay for wifi

Need to pay for wifi

Legendary place.

Prices

History, secluded, restaurant

Wonderful

There was nothing I didn't like.

Everything was great!!

Beautiful grounds, friendly and helpful staff, great location

Beautiful grounds, friendly and helpful staff, great location

The staff at reception coud have been A bit more attentive during check in. Seemed Bored and uninterested.

The pools andsurroundings Were great.

Details matter
    • Standard King Room

Tv remote was missing. Toilet was broken.

The hotel layout is very nice !

The staff at the Marquis are simply amazing.

The staff at the Marquis are simply amazing...

Killer stay at the Sunset Marquis

nothing at all

It was a great hotel with great people.