Reviews of Super 8 by Wyndham Austin University/Downtown Area 2 stars

5526 North Interstate 35, Austin, TX 78751, USA

#165 of 193 hotels in Austin

6.2

We loved it and would stay here again anytime.

Everything what’s great I would stay here again the staff are great place was clean grilling was fun pool area clean looks great great location across from target and wing stop and shopping area just awesome we loved it

Our stay was very pleasant and this is definitely better than some 5 star hotels that I have stayed

no coffee maker in the room

I would rate it a 4 star, very clean and nice for the price, and had a laundry facility for the guests. Wifi was super fast.

Great bed and thermostat worked well.

The water in the pool could have been cooler. The elevator could have been a little faster.

Great bed and thermostat worked well. It was really hot outside our room was really cool and comfortable in the evenings when we go ready for bed. Also enjoyed the pool. They made special parking accommodations for our motorcycles.

Okay. Probably would not have selected this place.

The entire room. The bathroom had mold that was painted over. The bathroom floor tile had been ripped out and painted, but dried footprints throughout. Rooms non-smoking, but smelled like an ashtray. The bathroom shower original just resurfaced. The towel rack was rusted all over. Overall, decent location, safe and the beds were clean. Rooms were clean. Bed was clean as well.

That it was at a good location.

Getting a room and finding out that someone else has reserved it and then getting another room and it’s not ready then getting another room and not having any towels and bed was dirty and smelled. The breakfast was not good at all and the food was cold

That it was at a good location.

Will not stay again there

Not so clean Sheets seem to not be changed just remade bed. Ac didn't work on low, only on high Pool area was a bit dirty Coffee maker in bathroom Only one bath towel in bathroom

Microwave and mini fridge came in handy in the room

The staff are nice girls.

No towels in my room, hair dryer not working, Neither the one they have at the lobby, bed bugs on my bed. Bathroom was dirty.

The staff are nice girls.

Motel hell

Fire alarm went off at 2 am, scaring me to death. I peeked outside seeing nothing and none. It went off again 5 minutes later. Ants on bedside table and cockroach in bathtub. Management completely indifferent. Accessing property is difficult. I could go on.

Breakfast okay.

Beds squeaked a little but were comfortable.

Terrible toilets. Took way too long to refill. One of our rooms did not have a deflector on the a/c so the curtain moved all night. One of our rooms had a stain on the sheet. Wish you had channel ID for the TV.

Beds squeaked a little but were comfortable. The a/c worked well. Front desk were friendly and helpful.

l

Very narrow parking spaces. Breakfast would have been ok if you got there early. If not, you were just out of luck. How difficult would it be to put a little more waffle dough out? all that was left was scrambled eggs and dry toast without butter, or cereal. At least IHOP wasn't too far.

Great amenities for a great value!

The eggs.

There was a spa which was amazing! LOVED the overhead fan. The lady on duty was super nice, the room was spacious. The breakfast has quite a few options. Some rooms are transitioning from older to newer fixtures and floors, but the rooms are super clean! Some rooms are near the highway, but as long as you keep the A.C. on, it provides nice white noise. You can hear a little, yet not a lot.

You get what u pay for

They have soft water so it took forever to rinse my hair out and the floor in the bathroom was messed up. its right next to the freeway so quiet is not a word to describe this place. They rudely check your room to see if u smoked in it before they will give u your deposit back at checkout. Now im ok with u checking the room but they way they go about it is ridiculous!

The bed was comphy

Just that the sir conditioner worked great.

The ceiling fan( light was out. TV remote didn't work. Had no table lamps. Blow dryer didn't work and sink wouldn't drain cos the plug wouldn't raise.couldn't use the elevator cos of being painted.I was on the 3rr floor n I'm 69 years old.

Just that the sir conditioner worked great.the c

It's a good price point.

We couldn't connect to the WiFi. Our room floor was really bad. Clean but the tiles were coming of.

It's a good price point. You get what you pay for. Free breakfast is always nice!

Will never stay here again

Found bugs all over the bathroom sink and floor and bed bugs in our bed. When notified staff, they only offered a discount. We also did not have a phone in our room and were charged twice with different amounts.

Never coming back.

The room smelled like urine. The tub was clogged. The sheets were stained. Uncomfortable pillows. Terrible WiFi connection.

Cost was relatively low. Availability of laundry area. Coffee was good.

Would not stay here again. We stayed at five different hotels and this was our least favorite. I wo
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Definitely needs updating! The bathroom had a concrete floor. No tile. Very unfinished. Not a single hanger in the closet. Difficult to get to. Very noisey location right on I-35. Glad our room was in the back! Had eggs but no sausage or bacon.

Price

Never going back

The water was not getting hot in our room and we and to switch rooms soon as we checked in. Not enough pillows, musty smell, (moldy). The room looked like it wasn't done being renovated.

The breakfast

Horrible experience. False advertising the Motel to unexpected guests.

Sink facet was completely broken, not even attached to sink. Mini fridge was leaking all over the floor and had mold behind it and in it, warped flooring. Torn up bathroom door. Smelled bad. Wasn’t clean.

NOTHING.

It was ok....

Arrived an hour earlier than planned(2pm) and front desk clerk would not allow early check in....also some bikers staying at this location and all decide to rev their engines at 8am!! Not cool at all😳....also they now charge a $50 refundable fee for possible room damage which is not mentioned when booking the room online.

First floor request was honored.

They put us in rooms side by side w/o me having to ask.

1 non smoking room smelled like stale smoke. The same room didn't have a hair dryer. It had a couple of bugs we killed. They charge you for extra towels pillows and blankets. No mini shampoos or conditioners. The breakfast is not worth the promotion. Plain eggs and waffles and cereal. No attendant keeping area clean. Front desk staff complaining that the people weren't scheduled til later so they had to be responsible for the area.

They put us in rooms side by side w/o me having to ask. I appreciated that! I liked the mini fridges & mucrowaves.

Cheap and did the job, barely.

The room was dirty, there was no shower equipment/ or shampoos, it was kinda loud all night, the beds were super uncomfortable, the staff was super lazy and totally unproductive and unhelpful.

That hotel is no good

What I didn't like about the property was poor service my restroom shower didn't work me and my girlfriend couldn't take a bath in the morning they didn't even move us to a different room

I didn't have a shower or running water in the bathroom only toilet no shower didn't work Hotel didn't even move me to a different room very unsatisfied

Thank you, it was my first time at a Super 8 and it was a good stay.

I had to park at the Motel 6 next door because the parking lot for the Super 8 was PACKED. Probably with people partying inside other rooms to be completely honest, and I did NOT like that.

Room was good and clean, found insects but guess it's inevitable in Austin humid hot weather.

They have an updated look, our 2 queen bed room was spacious...

Nothing really to do with the property , just the construction that's happening on the street.

They have an updated look, our 2 queen bed room was spacious, the beds extra soft.

Had an amazing time in Austin and the hotel and staff was amazing
    • Family Suite with One King and Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

The shuttle only runs from 6 to midnight. We were wanting to go out but was worried we might miss the shuttle times

I rented the family suite (rm 329) I loved the room! Way nicer than I expected!

The breakfast area & lobby has been remodeled, and looks...
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Road construction at the entrance made it a little difficult to get in, but not too bad. There did seem to be some trash around the outside that had not been picked up - could possibly have blown in with the cold front that hit while we were there. Also, parking spots seemed to be a little narrow...

The breakfast area & lobby has been remodeled, and looks VERY nice. Looks like the whole property is in the midst of being renovated. There are really nice picnic & outside seating areas that we would have REALLY enjoyed had the weather been better!!

Worst hotel experience ever!!!! It should have 0 stars!
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Super 8 needs to surprise audit this hotel, owner, and staff!!!!!

The room was awful! Mold in the bathroom. Unfinished drywall work. Peeling paint. Breakfast was horrible. The bed was very old and uncomfortable. The sheets were dirty. I’m quite sure they hadn’t been changed from the previous stay. I’d rather sleep in my car than to ever set foot in this place again.

Older building, so walls are thin and doors slam loudly.

This hotel is close to the freeway and you can hear the traffic all night. Also on this particular night the other guests were very loud and in and out in the middle of the night.

More breakfast options than I expected, and friendly staff.

We were told by the registration clerk that are $150 deposit...

We were told by the registration clerk that are $150 deposit would be returned in one day. I called 3 days later and I was told at that time it would be returned in 3 days. It has been a week today and the deposit has still not been returned to my prepaid Visa card. They need to be honest at the front desk that the deposit will not be returned immediately so the vacationer does not overspend

Dreadful.

The bed bugs, the room was cleaned only after I complained about the bed bugs. I woke up with my left leg covered in bites, the rest room was not clean when I arrived. The second night, was noisy could not sleep.

The desk staff.

It’s cheap and good if you just need a place to sleep. But don’t expect anymore than that.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Bathroom is in need of renovation. Don’t stay near room 125; staff was very loud in the morning and woke us up.

Room was clean and bed was comfortable. TV has HBO. Internet was fast enough for Netflix. Cheap price. Decent location.

A bit shabby place to stay, and in addition in the morning unfriendly front desk.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Extremely unfriendly lady at the front desk in the morning. No hangers in the room, I had to buy mine at Target. the drawers hung crooked, several burn holes in the bedspread, rusty air condition. Safe was charged at $ 2 extra per night even though the room rate was already at SXSW level north of $ 140.

Friendly lady at check in. (but saw her only at night). Easy parking (well its a motel) and just 10 mins drive to Austin downtown.

Never going back.

The room's restroom area was outdated; A lot of cracks in the floor, the towel rack was rusted, the toilet had stains and chips on it, shower knob was dirty (you could see a black color inside it). The swimming pool was ridiculously cold and the "spa" pool never warmed up. This hotel was no where near the University/Downtown area!

The beds were comfortable.

The shower curtain wouldn’t stay closed and kept falling...

The shower curtain wouldn’t stay closed and kept falling back to the center of the rod, so every time we showered water would get all over the floor and toilet. It was so weird

I loved this place.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

I asked for help in the guest laundromat but they couldn't b/c of customers. THey did reimburse me for the change that I put in washer but washer wouldn't do work. Overall, it was great and I would return and recommend it to others.

Bedroom and bathroom were huge. Able to take hot baths in a reasonably deep tub. It was a great experience.

Will never stay here again. Will never book through booking.com again

Very poor value for the money Room was shabby. Toilet cracked. Sheets had holes on it. Checking in was awful as booking.com had not sent our details along

Staff were fine

I liked the location.

We booked 2 rooms. In the 1st room, pillows were really hard, one of the beds is sinking, room smelled alot of smoke, water pressure was really low and sudden bursts or cold water and ceiling fan light did not work. The 2nd room had no water, the toilet was not flushing. I work in something similar and the 1st thing we do is walk the room before anyone moves in.

I liked the location.

The front desk person was great.

The room was small could not set up pack and play for my 4 month old grandson

The front desk person was great. I had forgotten my toothbrush and she took care or me.

Front desk staff were very nice.

Room smelled like smoke and disinfectant. No hot water in sink. Lots of shady people hanging around parking lot. Someone was knocking on my door at midnight.

Front desk staff were very nice. Eggs, sausage and toast at breakfast were good. I liked the laminate floor in the room which was freshly mopped.

I liked that there were hard floors and no carpet!

I didn’t like that the door to my room didn’t have a bolt for that extra lock. There were 4-5 holes burned from cigarettes in the bedding topper. What was most frustrating - I was not told ANYWHERE about the $50 deposit, it wasn’t mentioned at check in or check out and I’m still waiting for it back.

I liked that there were hard floors and no carpet! The size of the room was nice. I love that there was a ceiling fan and a light in the middle of the room and not just those awkward lamps.

The price was reasonable.

The breakfast was lukewarm. There was a lack of selection for fruit. The directions to get to hotel was wrong

The price was reasonable. The room was clean. The staff very helpful

Room was big, clean, and in a great location.

Thought that they'd have a Texas shaped waffle maker but there were no waffles for breakfast :( Our toilet started leaking on the bottom part, not too much water but noticeable. Didn't really bother us but we notified staff as soon as we noticed.

Room was big, clean, and in a great location. Price was great for what we got. The bed and pillows were very comfortable

Decent breakfast, needs some renovation.

Bathroom needs some renovation urgently. Hotel is not at a walking distance to the downtown area as the name suggests.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was good, but not great. Size of the bedroom was good for queen size beds.

Last stay there
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Despite severe attempts (written and by phone) the late check out was not honored - when I arrived back at the room at the marathon, it was being cleaned and had to beg the front office to open the room to take a shower

location and rate good

Staff was good. We had a messy room but they moved us to a better one the next day.

Hard bed, cleaning wasn’t good except in the bathroom and sink. They could pay more attention and get higher stars. I own a cleaning business, trust me.

The a/c and ceiling fan worked very nicely and the decor was cute.

It is what you pay for but very clean and good staff
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Heat didn't work. No channel quide. All pop machines were sold out. ATM wasn't in working order. Hole in bathroom ceiling from waterleak in room above

Clean, friendly staff

Good value for a one night stay.
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

WiFi is weak. I couldn't use it from my room. Also when I went to the computer room the two computers weren't even connected.

I liked the value. Inexpensive clean place to stay for the night.

Ok

Very close to highway and noisy with the car/buses noises. Could hear people on the corridor.

The room was clean and was big enough. The breakfast was fair but nothing special just regular breakfast. WiFi worked fairly. The place has a good value for money.

You get what you pay for

Location on I35 noisy and unpleasant, bathroom seemed unfinished (bad floor),initial room had serious odor (chemical) problem

Room clean and nicely decorated, staff friendly and helpful

Great deal for the price.

Heat was broken in the room as was the TV remote. The staff was very pleasant and allowed me to switch rooms. The new room was clean and everything worked, but didn't smell that great. Not sure if it was from the previous occupant.

Staff was very friendly and pleasant. They were very accommodating and allowed to switch rooms because the heat wasn't working. Parking was convenient and it's good for the price.

I had to leave this hotel due to a crime taken place very...

I had to leave this hotel due to a crime taken place very near my room. Shattered glass; woken up; scared to death. I will not stay here anymore. I would like a full refund of my monies.

Overall, a good experience.

The traffic is a bit loud but once in the room we really didn't hear anything.

We stayed two nights. The room was clean and in a good state of repair. We did not eat breakfast. The staff was very courteous and professional. The location was good and there is an elevator.

Worth the price.

The only thing I could seriously complain about were the scrambled eggs, I would avoid them if they weren't the only protein provided at breakfast.

For the price it was a very good place to stay. The staff was nice and helpful, room was decently clean and comfortable and the breakfast waffles were good.

All in all it was a nice place to stay for a short period of time.

There was nothing to tell you what channel was what, some of the things they say were in the room weren’t,and they didn’t have the king bed we booked.

The convenience to where we were going,the quietness of the property.

very average due to road noise

10 minutes waiting for the hot water to arrive. Terrible road noise

bed and pillows good comfy breakfast good ROAD Noise terrible unrelenting all night especially as they placed us right beside hiway must be because we booked thru Booking. com ha

Very friendly staff

There was a musty smell coming from the bathroom. It was very clean and fulfilled our needs for a clean place to stay for the price, but the smell was a bit bothersome.

Very friendly staff

My choice for a clean reasonably priced hotel for a quick trip to Austin.

No vending machines or late night access to snacks etc. breakfast was served only till 9 am and we slept through it

Nice affordable clean easily accessible. Staff was nice.

It was nice and comfortable

Some cars didn't park correctly so it was kinda hard to park but I like the security watching the cars.

I like the privacy..I could sleep...waffles are good !!!

I will be back
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

The staff is AMAZING,super friendly. Rooms are clean they have a BBQ and a play area for kids. Nice upgrade from it's previous dump status.

everything was perfect on the room !

I don't like the way the system work on churching my card 3 times and when I call to talk ! to a manager they tell me they don't have one for me at this moment the I have to wait 3 to 9 days to get my money back and this is Ridiculous!!!

everything was perfect on the room !!!

To be honest no thing really special about the place.

Read above question

To be honest no thing really special about the place. Good service, ok location one restaurant in walking distance we wanted to ride bus no bus stop near hotel.so it was ok. Oh one last thing blankets, sheets on bed sucked. Ciggaret burns in them.

Will not be returning
    • Queen Room - Disability Access - Non-Smoking

Room was not ready but we checked in and got our key cards. Did not know about a $50 deposit. At the room site that was a smell of sewage from the time we got there to the time we left.

Great location, great staff, bargain price for the area.

The room was partially renovated. Bathroom needed work. Room still had a very heavy smoke smell. Could never connect to the WIFI.

Area was close to the university. Room was big and property outside was nice and clean.

I enjoyed the accommodations that I didn’t expect

The bathroom could use some fixing up because the chips in the bathtub and floor do make it look dirty even though it isn’t

I just didn’t expect it to be as nice as it was for a motel

Friendly and communicative staff

The rooms felt and looked dirty. Broken restroom floors and black sole shoe marks still visible. Cover had cigarette burn marks even when it was a no smoking room. Breakfast was bland. Scrambled eggs with no meat options.

Friendly and communicative staff

It was quiet, the staff was friendly, and it was very clean

The only bad thing is that they are very stingy with their towels. We had to literally give a 10 minute explanation as to why we needed extra towels before thyley finally just gave them to us, overall we had a fantastic stay. This place is great!

It was quiet, the staff was friendly, and it was very clean

Inadequate, unacceptable

No shuttle service No diet beverages Empty vending machine Housekeeping unable to communicate Blankets with cigarette burn holes Staff unable to confirm block booking Confusion on registration Had to have CEO actually travel to the motel to straighten out the situation

Got up in the middle of the night to find bugs all over the floor.

Wasn’t great, found bugs on the floor a few nights on the floor... ick. Ended up with loads of bites from something which bit me in the room. Would avoid at all costs.

Easy location off 35 and value made this a steal.

Did not have booked room I paid for prior to check in and once in the right room, beds were not made.

Easy location off 35 and value made this a steal.

Couldn’t bare to stay there.

There was a very large roach in the lobby when I arrived. That first impression was accompanied with two more in my room. The towel rack was rusty and the paint was chipping off of the doors and walls. There are some serious updates that need to be made.

Friendly staff

Horrible area on a highway service road. Abandoned boarded up restaurant next door. Crac heads in the car parks. Someone stabbed wheeled out by paramedics with police while I was there ... otherwise lovely...

Friendly staff

Not my first choice. If there is no other option I will stay again, but will try to

The room itself was janky. It looked like a crumbling hotel with paint slapped on it. Some of the staff were great, some not. I had to be switched rooms twice because the first one had no fridge and the second was missing an alarm clock, ironing board, coffee maker, light bulbs and had holes in the wall. Then on the second night of my stay, the toilet quit working. They did provide a couple items like the ironing board and coffee maker and did fix the toilet but it took me asking a few times.

The sheets were clean and the water was hot!

Comfortable stay, good price, close to freeway.

The beds were a little hard. The refrigerator leaked a little water, but it mostly stayed under the table and I didn't use it. Breakfast could have some kind of meat, besides eggs and waffles.

The beds were clean and comfortable. Room was clean. Air condition was cool. Loved the ceiling fan! Door locks work good! Breakfast was good.

overall hood

there are some building issues being covered with tarps that make the whole building look dilapidated. Also the bathroom in our room could use a spruce up some paint would help.

overall hood