Reviews of Super 8 by Wyndham Old Saybrook 2 stars

37 Spencer Plain Road, Old Saybrook, CT 06475, USA

#5 of 7 hotels in Old Saybrook

• Reviewed: 2 October 2018

I would not stay here again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We arrived before 11 pm, but the office door was locked. When we went to get coffee at 7 a.m., there was none (breakfast was supposed to start at 6) and no staff at the desk. The food did not look appetizing, and the coffee (when finally made) was bad. The room had cobwebs. We made a reservation for three people, but there were only two sets of towels. There was only one chair in the room, so two of us had to sit on the strangely high beds or stand. When we turned on the fan, it smelled like mildew.

The location is great -- right off the highway -- and the beds are comfortable. It was quiet. The shower had good pressure.

unsatisfactory
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room had a musty odor. There were hairs in the shower. The smell of curry at check-in office was overpowering. Too expensive for the quality of place. Television image, awful

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Great place to stay in this part of Connecticut
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Can't think of a single thing

Beds were very comfortable, plenty of hot water for the shower, everything worked Very clean room. Michael the Manager was very nice and helpful

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Hotel is located in a great location, literally right off of...

Bathroom could have been a little cleaner; not that it was dirty, just kind of dingy. I didn't feel grossed out at any point, it was really just an aesthetic thing. The walls in the room were very thin as well; we could hear our neighbors moving around quite clearly through the walls, especially from above. Luckily nobody around us kept late hours, otherwise I could have seen this interfering with our sleep. I would recommend asking for a 2nd floor room if one is available, which would probably help mitigate that issue.

Hotel is located in a great location, literally right off of 95, and everywhere we needed/wanted to go was no more than 15 minutes away. Saybrook is a very cute little seaport town, and if we had stayed longer, I would have enjoyed exploring it more. I feel the value was very fair for the price; not a five star place, but clean and well-kept enough for a weekend stay if you have lots of things planned.

Zero star
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

This place su#s*€*&¥₩ Rooms look and are dirty Smoking is permited in every room Sheets in my room look dirty Wi-Fi terrible Tv .... black and white and no remote What else ?

So far nothing

This is a good place for a very short stay.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Room had no privacy because the window faced a hallway to the other rooms And there was only room darkening drapes. There was not a comfortable chair. Outer area smelled unpleasant and my room, non-smoking, was next to a smoking room.

The pool. The location. The tv and internet. Coffee maker. There were no eggs, fluffy ones.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Probably would not book again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Toilet was too low. I left after one night (booked for two) because it was too difficult to get on and off the toilet. Also beds are so high off the floor you have to throw yourself up onto the bed. If you put a note in when you book on the site the motel doesn't read it. I requested a first floor but was given a second floor. When I checked in I told them of my request and they did accomadate me. Only 10 channels on the cable TV. The remote didn't work and I requested new batteries. I was given a different remote after being told how to use it. Dah!!! I'm not stupid!!!

The staff was friendly, big pool and a decent price.
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

There was a big spiderweb on the ceiling (immediately noticeable) and the bed wasnt as comfortable as most other hotels.

The staff was friendly, big pool and a decent price. A lot of restaurants in the area

Good budget option in convenient location
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast was included but pretty meagre.

Great location as could walk to restaurants and shops which is not always the case with chain US motels. Good sized swimming pool also.

Had fun with my friends!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bed was hard and uncomfortable. Breakfast did not open early enough before we had to leave for our fishing trip.

Pool was excellent. Room was clean. Shower was really good and powerful.

Very good value - spacious clean room.

Very good value - spacious clean room. Pool was a bonus. Good eating places nearby. The supermarket also sells hot meals and the department store is worth a look.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the pool was...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The breakfast offerings were pathetic however the juice was delicious and cold. The bathroom could have been a little cleaner

The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the pool was nice

Better than our expectations!

The Old Saybrook CT. motel was a facility BEYOND our expectations. I min. off I-95, we'll maintained, clean, comfortable with a friendly & accommodating staff. The family owned motel knows what it takes to make travelers comfortable. The pool was maticulous. When we're in the area again, without a second thought, we'll book @ this Motel 8.

The owners & their staff. The pool area, the cleanliness & the close proximity the attractions & numerous restaurants....be sure to try BILL'S Seafood & the PAPERBACK CAFE in downtown Old Saybrook.

After the theft mediocre. Really have to think hard about ever staying there again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Lack of camera surveillance. If they would have had video cameras I would have been able to find out who stole my pick up bed cover from my truck. Brought this to the owners attention and it didn't seem to matter. Now I am out almost $450.00. Thank you very much Super *.

Everything but for the security. For a Motel hotel that large and that nice I was surprised to learn that there was no video cameras around the building or the swimming pool. While I was staying there I parked my pick up truck in front of my room door on the first floor every night as Being 76 yrs old I am in bed by 10:pm. Someone stole my Tonnau cover off my truck.

Convenient location for a quick stop over off the Hwy.

Difficult to enter property from the left. Make sure you don’t miss the entrance when coming in from the Hwy exit.

Convenient location for a quick stop over off the Hwy. near shops and great Italian restaurant.

i think it was worth the price i paid but i shouldnt have to sacrifice cleanliness for a fair price
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the rug in the room was gross. the baseboard areas and corners were full of dirt, like they are never cleaned. also on my green blanket and on the towels i noticed more than 1 hairs that were not my own. i inspect these upon arrival so it definitely was not my own hair, gross. Also the lobby had a strange smell, although my room did not thank God.

The gentlemen checking me in was very nice and professional. The bed and pillows were very comfortable.

Very good experience.

TV reception a little fuzzy.

Very comfortable bed, room was very clean. Plenty of warm water for shower. Front desk manager friendly and very helpful. Location was ideal!

I can sum it up saying frustrating and disappointing.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds - Smoking

Overall awful experience. At 10pm the staff called my room and accused me of having a big party. I was already in bed. The staff became loud and threatened to quiet down and next complain he would call the police. I explained to him myself and my 10 year old were sleeping but he did not want to listen to me at all. I asked him at that time for a refund and was going to drive home 2 hours and he said he won’t give me a refund. Very rude, not accommodating at all and myself and my family didn’t feel welcome at this motel.

Very comfortable and clean for the price.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Not much in the way of breakfast but there was a grocery store across the street for whatever we needed.

Very comfortable and clean for the price. Great value while also being nice place to stay for a night during holiday travel season. There were also stores nearby for shopping and a small Italian place for take-out. Glad to have found this little spot for a nice stopping point between Boston and Long Island along the I95 corridor. Will stay there again:)

Nice well kept place especially for the price point!

Someone must have been smoking in their bathroom - a smoke smell came through the fan in our bathroom. But that’s not the fault of management and I should’ve reported it.

The room was clean and very well put together. It was a surprisingly nice stay seeing that this is an economy chain. I’ve stayed at higher priced hotels and they haven’t been as clean. The location is great for shopping or going to see a show at Water’s Edge.

Stayed here several times on family business, will stay again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

A broken outlet and a lamp ready to fall off the wall shows the hard use the rooms get, but they are still attractive and clean. Both heat and AC worked very well.

Clean, quiet, and comfortable room. A great value for a good night's sleep in a convenient location. The staff are also friendly and helpful. If you are looking for a cheap beach vacation, two spectacular beaches (Hammonasset and Harvey's) are nearby. If your stay is more businesslike, the nice outdoor pool provides needed relaxation at the end of the day in the summer (closed in cooler months).

It served it purpuse it was easy.

The smell was a intense when we went into the room. It was a bit run down. The breakfast didn't offer much. Considering the accommodations the price was a bit much it should have been a bit less.

The location was very near where we needed to be.

Another room might have made for a better stay. No sleep for me.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Soda machine running outside the room all night long. On and off every 5 minute or so made for a terrible nights sleep. Lots of truck traffic during the night.

Location was good.

The location and room was fine the breakfast was awful

The person at the desk when we arrived was pleasant . However when I called with a question about the price two different times the man was extremely rude.. I would have canceled, however I knew it would be difficult to get another room at that time. I was happy he wasn't a the desk when we arrived on sat night at 10:30 pm... sandra

Close to our families home

Happy to stay again
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

Train always going by,but not that bothersome for the price

Clean, convenient to Beach and everything else you can need,value for your money,modern rooms

You'll love your stay!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The only thing, which only affected me and noone else in my family, was that the cleaning solution that was used in the rooms seemed to make my eyes burn. Definitely not a deal breaker considering all the positives!

The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. They made us feel very welcome. The rooms were clean and inviting. Beds were very comfortable. Hotel is easy access to 95. The rates were extremely fair! Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We will book again the next time we visit Old Saybrook!

Excellent value
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The exterior is a bit shabby, but once inside my room I didn't care. I stayed in a ground floor room one time and it was a bit dank, maybe because they had just shampooed the carpet. Best bet is to stay upstairs, but there is no elevator.

My room was surprisingly nice, the bed exceptionally comfortable (maybe a tad on the soft side, but I slept great), and the bathroom was immaculate. I got a fantastic deal on the price. There is a nice pool, but I didn't have time to enjoy it this time around.

everything was what I expected.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

everything was what I expected. What was difficult for us was that we booked and received a non-smoking room, but I could still smell smoke in my room at certain times of the day. My hair and all my clothes smelled of smoke. My fault, next time I need a non-smoking facility.

Good value for money
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

The staircase to the upper floor is narrow and has very short steps.

Good value for money, convenient parking, breakast adequate for the price charged, comfortable mattress and pilows, kind staff.

We were only there one night but place fit our needs. We would stay there again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The closet smelled of stale cigarettes - and it was a non-smoking room. The room itself was ok.

Location was very convenient. The bed was very comfortable.

Comfortable bed, friendly staff, quiet and overall clean...

No decaf coffee or cold water to drink at breakfast, tub in room looked a little dirty - didn't bathe children in tub, but gave them showers instead.

Comfortable bed, friendly staff, quiet and overall clean room, HUGE closet, decent breakfast for the price, prompt house cleaning. It is close to train tracks, but we ran the AC all night on low and didn't hear a bit of outside noise.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

I don't even know if there was a breakfast!
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

WiFi was non existent even after we called the front desk and asked what was going on,and if there was a code or something. We plugged into it and found out that next morning there in fact was NO wifi,and it had sent a virus into our server's that they couldn't be used for the meeting as the files were currupted. Upon checking in,we were tired and it was pouring rain. This man who greeted us seemed to give one the impression we were a bothersome to him. I explained that we had a reservation to which he quite unexpectedly and rudely stated out of nowhere. "Do you smoke" I answered no,that's why we asked for a non smoking room hello,,?" Then he says" You have any pets with you there? " No. I answered,by this time tyring of ?s and tired,wet and simply trying to check in." Well if you do you will be charged 200$ for a pet in the room or smoking in the room! " Ok,! Can we please just have the card,so we can get to this room and warm up,dry off, and get some rest before midnight?? I have NEVER been interrogated in such a manner at ANY hotel!! I don't know what the issue was?? Were we checking into the Taj Mahal Hall? And the "FREE" wifi,that didn't work,and ruined not only one but 2 of out hard drives prior to our meeting and overhead projections. None of which could be replaced in time. NEVER,will I use this hotel again. We had to trudge all the way to the back of the hotel,up a flight of stairs in the cold pouring rain. And I am SURE that was NOT the only room available. To make matters worse, we were within 200yareds of a railway. And every hour the place rumbled as if an earthquake were about to crumble our sleep any moment. We had to choose to either freeze or sleep in an oven due to needing to drown out the train noise by turning the fan on. My partner took a walk about 1am down the "upper deck" of the hotel to see if there were other rooms available.

I don't even know if there was a breakfast! He was too busy telling us what the rules were that he would charge our credit card for!we went to Dunkin donuts for breakfast it was right across the street!! And they were better,hotter and friendlier than these people at this hotel. It's VERY sad. I don't know how they expect to become upscale as they haven't been,with all of the issues we had. And the beds?? 2 pillows and they were so flat you were best off sleeping without one! VERY VERY DISAPPOINTING!!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Best budget hotel in this picturesque town.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Old Saybrook is such a pretty town, but a little on the pricey side. Staying at the Super 8, with its super economical costs, allows someone on a budget to visit this area while having a perfect lodging experience. This hotel is clean, attractive & pleasant with kind and professional staff.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

Loud Moaning & Groaning
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Couples next to our room having loud sex screaming & moaning for over an hour. I had to turn up the volume so my 9 yrs old daughter will stop asking why the lady keeps screaming & if she's ok. They should separate families from couples when booking rooms. First horrible experience & I will most definitely not be going back. I saw another hotel further down the road I will book with instead.

Many restaurants & shopping center within walking distance.

Clean , comfortable:)

House keeping schedule is erratic . Had to get our own towels . We where always out by 11am and house keeping never touched our room .

The room was small , but the bed was very comfy , and the television was a good size . The front desk clerk was very nice about checking us into our room early .

not bad for the price
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

the people upstairs and the train coming through it was exceptionally loud

the beds were very hard and the people upstairs from us kept me up all night walking their floors they creaked

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Alright for the price. Nothing much in this town to do.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had to have our room moved due to smelling smoke in the bathroom and the refrigerator and heater were very noisy. The next room was better but there was a lamp and the hair dryer did not work.

The room was clean and the beds are comfortable.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

Positive experience
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had fresh sheets every night except on our last night.

Service was very courteous and polite. Always ready to help. The room was very clean and was serviced and cleaned every day. Comfortable beds and pilows.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

A good choice for the location and price.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I strongly dislike and am sensitive to air fresheners used in hotel rooms. It wasn't too strong, but enough to make my face itch a little. Free breakfast selection very limited. No protein.

The room was very clean, recently renovated. Bed was comfortable, TV worked.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

It was ok
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was uncomfortable, they need more pillows at least 2 instead of one.. some of the plug outlets didn't work on the lamps

The room was gd and clean the location was gd right off the highway.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

relaxing

Need some outside chairs in front of rooms. Breakfast not what was expected. TV in room not clear. ..

Bed comfortable. ..

Awesome

Awesome

Good location.

Good location. Nice pool. Very clean.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Very clean and great people

Very clean and great people

It was cheap

The rooms were very dirty, breakfast was empty and only a few things.

It was cheap

Our room was very clean and pleasantly decorated.

Our room was very clean and pleasantly decorated. I loved the pool. Very clean also.

breakfast

it was decent.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The price of $343 for 2 nights was too high in a 2 star motel and the small TV with limited cable channels

Very nice and convenient for our agenda.

The bathroom needed some repairs and I let them know when we checked out. No cups in bathroom.

Location near highway

Fine for a night
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was basic, nothing fresh

Convenient location for me. The room was fine, nothing special. Manager was friendly and helpful

Everything was perfect

Everything was perfect

Place is clean, rooms are nice and beds are comfortable.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Not much of a selection for breakfast.

Place is clean, rooms are nice and beds are comfortable. We like this place for short trips to conneticut.

Good option for one night crash-and-go.

Right on rail line.

Clean and easy to find.

Low cost , good location

Poor breakfast choices, wall air conditioner/heater air smelled bad. Toilet was loose. Stairs were steep and narrow.

Low cost , good location

Very quiet, not bothered at all.
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

Could use updating, and a few fruit flies flying around.

Very quiet, not bothered at all. Comfortable and always clean. Perfect for a short trip.

Good

No plunger

Good

The Room has a weird smell

The Room has a weird smell Breakfast is so poor.

Very clean, comfortable bed!

Very clean, comfortable bed!

AZn excellent visit!

Clean convenient.

Basic room no frills.

Clean convenient.

Very nice hotel

Really friendly staff. The place was very clean. Quiet place.

I

I

Inconvenient
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There were bugs crawling on both beds.

Very disappointing.

No pets

Great for a rest during a much-needed stop while traveling overnight or anytime!

Could hear someone snoring in another room!!!

Convenient location Allowed check in at 3 am Room was clean

Very convenient.

Very convenient.

Functional, clean and good value.
    • Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Functional, clean and good value. Location was good as well for our journey

Terrible

Clean

Was good and served it's purpose

Small room

Very convenient for our fishing charter. Close to restyrants and other stores.

Comfortable and pleasant
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Could have had microwave in room. Maybe some extra towels and pillows. Stronger coffee.

Pool was nice, room was nice and cold.

Very nice. Close to everything.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Mike at the hotel the manager was great.

Clean and comfortable for a short stay. Short drive to "the Kate"
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Two chairs would be nice.

It was very clean.

4.5
    man at the front desk was very good. Thank you
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Was not clean, floors, bathroom, and one of the beds

Not much