Reviews of Super 8 by Wyndham San Luis Obispo 1 stars

1951 Monterey Street, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA

#29 of 34 hotels in San Luis Obispo

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The shower could have been cleaned a little better by the maid on a few occasions... Overall extremely friendly service and would definitely stay there again! Extremely close and convenient to everything in San Luis Obispo!

The bed was extremely comfortable as where the pillows! And the staff was unbelievably accommodating and friendly! We slept better in the room over the four days we were there then we do in our own bed!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't realize there wasn't an elevator when booking. We were put in the back of the 3rd floor with stairs to climb. The bathroom sink did not drain well. The shower turn on valve was difficult to pull on and pulling out of the wall. Our room was clean and was 2 doors down from the Apple Farm that has great breakfast items and a lovely atmosphere.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Nice place, easy to access from the freeway, we had a covered parking spot, which was great. The room is a good size, very clean, had a fridge, microwave, coffee maker and hairdryer, which was a plus comparing to othe motels we’ve been before. The bathroom looked remodeled and had a bathtub, which is nice when you have kids. The in room informational booklet was extremely useful in finding places to eat and hang out. Overall a good experience, would recommend it!

• King Room- Non-Smoking

The room could use a deep cleaning - in the corners in particular. The room was also very dark and the sink area very worn.

The bed was comfortable and the hotel was centrally located for all of our activities. The bathroom (bathtub and toilet area) was clean and bright.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The facility was far different than pictured. We arrived in the evening and the next day was extremely rainy. There was no grip tape on their extremely slippery stairs, nor any caution when wet signs out and my little sister fell down one flight scraping her arm and hitting her tailbone on the way down. Now being a soccer player, she has a high tolerance to pain but she was crying and in pain the rest of the day. When we brought this issue of the slippery stairs to the attention of the staff, they simply responded "Yes." No accident report, no attempts to put out signage (as we saw hours later returning from our day trip), no apology or concern over the welfare of their guest AT ALL. In my opinion completely unnaceptable and unprofessional. They failed to take responsibility of their property and clearly don't want to. Asside from our opinion, we heard many folks leaving their rooms discussing complaints to share with management over the staff's negligence.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

wasn't worth the price we paid!

Our stay was OK. I had stayed here previously but this time it wasn't as clean( i didnt even bother taking a shower because the bathroom floors were gross) and the front desk manager was argumentative.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The owner prior to the trip over the phone was completely rude and very unhappy I used booking.com. He kept saying I should have booked with him directly. He refused to discuss my concerns because"I should of booked with him and not booking.com". We found mold in the bathtub and the wall damage was left on the carpet.

The gas station store across the street

• King Room- Non-Smoking

It was dirty I felt disgusting sleeping on the bed, felt even worse for my baby who slept with us. We had to remove the covers because they had visible stains on them dry stains on the top one which i wish i would've taken pics. A friend stayed next door at the peach tree inn which I wish I would have too because it was 10x better. This was just "good enough" "just for a night" type of place. Continental breakfast was a joke. The staff are alright.

The only good thing about it was the location it was walking distance to the downtown area of SLO.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

AC didn't blow properly and was extremely noisy. Only one small bottle of shampoo for toiletries. Coffee maker broken. Wifi didn't work. Television had very few channels. Saddest little continental breakfast I've ever seen.

Bed pretty comfy - pillows were surprisingly good.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Room felt cramped. Our bathroom door had a broken lock. Our air conditioner had a literally broken part hanging off of it. Before you actually get ti your room, there's about 8 signs telling you not to smoke, and then you sign a waiver not to smoke (It's like okay, I get it.) The tv felt like it was a toy and hilariously had a sticker telling people not to steal this tv because it would only work st the hotel. The tv seemed bolted down sadly, because I could not move it from its inconvenient location. Our wifi also wasn't very good and kept dropping in and out. It sucked because I was doing online school work and afterwards trying to game on my playstation 4. My girlfriend and I (who are gamers) kept experiencing bad lags.

Fridge was good. Bed wasn't terrible.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I just wish I could have been able to extend my checkout to noon, instead of 11 am. I felt a little rushed, but no big deal.

I loved the room assigned to me, because it was away from foot traffic. The room was great for my needs, since I was only staying one night. I know Super 8 has wifi, but I was already bringing my own wifi device, so I cannot comment on the property`s wifi.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is extremely broken down, dirty and not maintained. Bathroom-filthy shower curtain, holes in wall had sparkling on them and no paint, broken screen. Felt dirty. Microwave-didn't work. No elevator for a 3 story motel. Very few people there and I got 3rd floor in back of hotel. I tried to check in at 2:40 and no one was in the office. Breakfast-terrible and nothing like the website shows. I was offered a box of Raisin Bran and a pastry. Coffee machine didn't work. I had to go buy my breakfast.

Location-close to Cal Poly campus.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The lady at the front desk was hard to understand and not very welcoming - when she was there. Every time I had to go into the office, I had to wait for her to come out from the back room. Breakfast was not that great. And when I asked her for ONE extra pillow, she rolled her eyes, turned around and told me that they don't have extra pillows but she would go look. After about 2 minutes she came back with an extra pillow. Also upon check in, she said she accepted all cards, but would not take my Discover card. I had to use a debit card (which I don't typically do on vacation) because she couldn't get it to "run." We were on a week long road trip and stayed in a different hotel each night. Out of all of the hotels, this one was the worst. I should not have been surprised considering we paid less than $100 for the night, but do yourselves a favor and pick another hotel for just a little bit more money, unless you plan to literally only sleep there for one night with one pillow!

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Some parts of the room could have been cleaner - ceiling by shower showed signs of mildew, the light fixture in the room needed cleaning/dusting.

Check in was fast and easy, room was fine - good for this price point. Breakfast was better than I had expected for this price point - they had a mini waffle maker, two kinds of cereal, muffins, bread and toaster, two kinds of juice. We were very happy that we were able to park under cover as it rained. Certainly not a perfect place, but given the price and it was a very busy weekend, I felt we had received very good value.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room was hot and stuffy, and had a slight chemical odor. (It was a hot day for SLO.) The a/c wall unit did not provide much relief. We could not crack the window since it was on a walkway and had a bent screen. The bed was uncomfortable. The shower/tub unit had a black sludge line at the seam. The table and two chairs in the room were too clunky for the small space and just in the way. I would not stay at this property again.

Free parking. Free coffee.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room's lock on door didn't work. We had to baracade the door with table. The room smelled upon arrival, the coffee maker in room didn't work. It is not walking distance to down town. Very unhappy with the room.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bathroom area was a little dirty and dated. Air conditioner was extremely loud.

Other than the noisy ac unit the room was very quiet and liked the counter space in the sink area, perfect for a family of four trying to get ready at the same time.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room didn't look like photo,after going into room it was old and worn out . And the smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling, and take cover for the pipes for the bathroom was off so there was a big hole I could not get it to go back on. Then when we tried to lock the front door for overnight . I had to push really hard to get it to lock. I was there for my with my mom,who is having her 85th birthday. If this was an older couple they would not been able to lock it. The toilet after flushing it sat there and made noises night I don't know it just kept running or something. This will be the last time I stay at a super eight not happy .

Staff was nice

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Office door locked 6:30 a.m. for start of complementary breakfast. Staffer rude when attempted to open. Internet fair.

Room was clean. Water pressure shower good and water was warm.

That there was no pool.

Great location, walking distance from downtown. Clean room. Nice continental breakfast. Parking close to room. Liked the downstairs room. Ice machine available always nice.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Too many people hanging around outside, practically screaming at each other from hotel room to vehicles in parking lot. I felt like I was back in the projects again. Some people pulled out the hotel chairs to hang or on balcony & some left their dirty clothes right outside their door. Very noisy here.

Bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The lady at the front desk when i went to check in didnt come out when i rang the bell. Didnt answer my phone call the first time. Didnt greet me. Didnt say anything to me. Had to call and ask if they had wifi and what the password was, after she told me the password she hung up on me. Our bed sheets had stains on them. The pillows there were ovviously old and lumpy.

the only good thing about this hotel was how cheap it was when i booked it through booking.com

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Bathroom felt a little bit old. Staff could be more friendly (smile). Breakfast time to short (till 9.30). Mosquito net was broken.

I had one of the best sleeps here. The bed was so nice that I even missed the breakfast. Quiet place. WiFi okey.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The curtains in my room we're really worn.

Staff was quick and courteous. Housekeeping was amazing. Breakfast was minimal; however, price was perfect.

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

1. Staff could have been a little friendlier. 2. Slow Wi-Fi 3. Could have used more than one choice of Milk (no skim milk) for cereal and milk was warm. Maybe due to us eating breakfast at 9:15am and it ends at 9:30am.

1. Good Value 2. Simple Breakfast Included 3. Clean Rooms 4. Quiet Property

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Parking was a bit difficult as we have a truck, but since we were early we were able to grab a covered spot which was roomy. The hotel looks old and a bit disreputable from the outside.

The room was a nice surprise after seeing the outside. It was clean and nicely appointed. The bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The idiot tenant arguing on the phone while we were enjoying (or trying) our complimentary breakfast.

Convenience to central city and highway. Staff very courteous and helpful. Room was neat and clean. Parking convenient.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom wasn't very clean. There was trash from a previous guest in the shower. Lighting was dim, not enough lights. Beds were very hard. Woke up all sore.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that no where on the property could you smoke. I friend called me via the hotel phone in the room and they were not going to put her through and she was in the emergency room and needed a ride. What the hell.

The breakfast was not to bad.

• Reviewed: 3 February 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Hotel is about a 20 minute walk from downtown. Breakfast was adequate - pastries, cereal, waffles - but nothing special.

Property was clean, rooms large. It's nothing fancy, but better than many other similar type budget hotels.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

No military discounts, carpets in room were dirty, chairs were uncomfortable, heater did not work right, lousy breakfast, no one stopped th loud noises after 10 pm.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

noises in the middle of night, Heater spewed air that caused us to be congested so we couldn't use it.... door to shower was blocking the sink...

fairly clean and descent for the price

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Unpleasant smell upon entering the room. The rug???? Used room spray. Furniture could use attention.

The bed was clean and comfortable, and the location was quiet. Staff accommodating.

• Reviewed: 15 November 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The bed was a little stiff and the towels kind of rough, but overall what I expected from the price.

Very convenient to SLO campus, downtown and other hotels (where friends were staying). Blackout curtains were a nice plus.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast is poor but apparently is the same everywhere in the States so... The housekeeper knocked at 7.50 am which is ridiculous since the check out is at 11!

The room was big and clean. Nice pictures on the walls. walking distance to downtown and restaurants, pubs etc.

• Reviewed: 26 October 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

There was a guy screaming for 30min at night. No one did anything to investigate. The breakfast is pretty lame. But hey, if you need somewhere to sleep, this would do.

Close to cal poly. A short drive to downtown. Not much else here.

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Manager was rude. I booked through Booking.com (never used before) and credit card had expired, I simply pay when I get to the hotel...the manager preceeded to give me a lecture! I definately will stay where we normally stay next time. Customer service is everything. Also the TV is terrible and the remote doesn't work. Its,an older Super 8 and needs work!

Bed was comfy, hot water lasted...location fantastic. GO to the Apple Farm.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were full not double or queen. The carpet and walls were dirty. The toiletries weren't enough for even one shower. The towels were thin and scratchy. It was extremely overpriced!

• Reviewed: 29 September 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Things to bear in mind: The air-cons were very noisy (old) to the extent then when the next room had the machine running you could hear/feel the vibration through the separating wall. Don't sleep in at weekends - the breakfast time is the same everyday :-) Contrary to the hotel info the hotel does not have a guest laundry. The sensor that automatically switches on the bathroom light/fan was a little too sensitive - to the extent that 3 or 4 times a night I had to get up to turn off the light (mainly to stop the noise of the fan)!

clean, functional, good bed. 15/20 min walk to town. Directly off the 101 ramp. Ladies who made up room very nice.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The cleaning lady was comming to early and knoc the door for clean the room when I was still in bed. It was 9:15, am and the check out time is at 11am?? It's important to respect the coustomers time. But it's fine. Everybody make a mistakes. But just mention to try to improve the business . It's a constructive criticism . 😉

The hospitality .

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

No pool, outside kind of dirty, staff not very friendly. lack of parking space.

The bed was very comfortable, rooms spacious, modern convienences, slept like a baby.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

AC unit was rather loud compared to other Super 8 motels we have stayed in. Crowd at breakfast was just crazy; seems like a van full of relatives of owner showed up about the time we wanted to eat!

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No place for breakfast Last minute reservation so bad value price ratio I payed a lot to report a minimum

Last minute reservation so bad value price ratio

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel looked run-down and could definitely use some updates and maintenance. The carpet looked dirty and felt sticky. Staff was not friendly when we arrived.

The location is quite good with restaurants at walking distance and close to attractions like Morro bay and the highway 1.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Husband and wife work front desk...had to Wait for them to come out of there living quarters to attend desk...they were still chewing food checking me in

Rooms are modern and good beds

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The old adage "you can't judge a book by it's cover" applies. Hotel looked quote shabby from the outside. But the room wasclean and comfortable. A but pricey - but convenient.

The mattress was very comfortable!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

there were minor repairs that should have been taken care of. Toilet paper dispenser fell off the wall when pulling on toliet paper.

There was no eggs for breakfast.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Staff could have been a little friendlier. Everything else was fine, I think the guy checking us in was a little stressed. Super busy weekend.

The bed was firm, but I slept well.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The high rate of $200 per night just because the fair was going on. That is almost a %300 raise in the normal rate. Not much choice in the TV channels.

The room was clean but in need of repair. The trim around the tub was very poor. The sink drain was very slow.

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

They had no ice and when I asked they acted like it was normal and not a concern. The "pool/hot tub"? was cemented over. The only outside sitting area was over the old pool 12X12 fenced area like a cage.

central location, close to restraunts

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

Can't think of anything.

Great value. Stayed two nights for the Fourth Of July holiday for less than $200 total. Checked prices and would have paid double for same room at other motels in the same area. Staff was friendly. Walking distance to several restaurants/bars. Good location. Felt very safe. Our room was clean and they actually had a good selection of food at the continental breakfast including a waffle iron where you could make Belgium waffles. Rooms provide single cup coffee maker w/coffee, hair dryer and ironing board for customers use.

• Reviewed: 6 July 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

We arrived about 8.30pm and the welcome was the most unfriendly I have ever encountered. We were so surprised and shocked because US hospitality is generally so positive, certainly for a British visitor! It was such a shame because we really liked San Luis Obispo and would have stayed longer during our road trip had our experience at this motel been different. Apart from the unfriendly welcome, the AC unit was deafening (but necessary in June), there were a few hairs in the bath but otherwise it was clean and tidy. We saw the same lady in the morning at check out...she was just as grumpy and unfriendly and I will never forget it. This has made a big impression on me for all the wrong reasons...if you lack the ability to be hospitable, don't work in hospitality.

Decent provisions for the complimentary breakfast. Easy to find off the main road but not close to the city centre but price reflects that

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

Rude front desk service

Front desk has horrible service. They were rude and doesn't give accurate time to do early check in. We had to come back 3 times

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

bed was small, did not sleep well. Nothing outstanding about the facility. Just okay for the price. i understand it is summer and season and location dictates specifics - $247.00 was not a real good value for what we received.

the rooms were clean, facility was older in need of freshening up

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

No place at hotel to allow dog to relieve himself.

Location. Great places to eat within walking distance. Visited Avila Beach and Morro Bay. Great dog park at el Charro Park.

• Reviewed: 1 July 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The man at the front desk was one of the rudest men I have ever met at a hotel. He ruined our trip! The worst Motel 6 has far better service than him.

Accommodations were fine. Too bad!

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Lumpy mattress. Not enough cable TV channels or towels.

Swimming pool or hot tub would have been nice for the price. Decent continental breakfast, but ran out of orange juice.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Not very clean, broken furniture, sheets where clean but did not fit the bed run down smelly

Not very good breakfast.

Close to downtown

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Nothing! All is good to my taste

Safe location and the room was clean

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Clean, facilities all in good shape. Great for the price.

• King Room- Non-Smoking

Bed was extremly comfortable mini fridge worked perfectly..

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Basic accommodation, just within walking distance of town centre

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Shower head not work properly, very low water pressure.

cleanliness of the room

Upstairs rooom

Cleanliness

friendly

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

older building room was stuffy but clean.

waffle were good

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

when we requested for more toiletries, we were told to get it ourselves at the lobby.

Only shampoo was provided. No conditioner provided.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No problems for price of room

Clean and comfortable . Good value for money. Ideal for one night stop over in San Louis Obispo

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

really in need of repairs

• King Room- Non-Smoking

requested pet room wasn't ready. bathroom shower didn't work. staff..

Shower mold

Bed

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Nights got cold, I would ask for an extra blanket or bring one from home.

It is pet friendly and location is perfect.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

No fresh fruit. Would have been nice if there were fresh fruit OR hard boiled eggs.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The manager went out of his way to ensure that the wifi was working