Reviews of Thompson Chicago 4 stars

21 East Bellevue Place, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#4 of 146 hotels in Chicago

9.8

• Superior King Room

The wiFi could have been better. WiFi kept dropping on my laptop for whatever reason; however, there were times where it was working flawlessly.

Room was nice and clean. The bathroom was spacious and well kept. The gym was usable; if you have experience lifting weights, the gym has enough to maintain you.

• Deluxe Lakeview King Room

Staff were rude and not very friendly.. overall this had a negative impact on our experience of the hotel which was disappointing.

THe hotel is in a great location and nicely set out.

• Superior King Room

The restaurant and room service menus are a bit overpriced. I know the Gold Coast of Chicago is an expensive area but $20 for an omlette and $7.50 for a glass of orange juice is a bit crazy but it was delicious nonetheless.

Excellent location. Gorgeously designed. Outstanding staff. The room was spacious and felt bigger with the mirrored wall and the walk-in shower was lovely. The staff and house-keeping team were exceptional and truly go out of their way to make you feel welcomed. I'll be recommending this hotel to a lot of people.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Absolutely nothing - couldn't have asked for a nicer stay.

The hotel is in a lovely part of downtown Chicago - very nice ambiance in the area and the area comes to life at night time with busy restaurants and bars. Surrounded by high end stores like Prada, Hermes etc but also a ten minute stroll to the likes of Maceys. Great Shower, Amazing Bed. But most of all what made the hotel was the staff I think - people could not be any nicer especially Garry and Linton Lee Murphy at front door. We were 3 girls sharing a superior double room and there was plenty of space for us - I did ask for 3 twin beds but I had left it very late to ask and also it wasn't what I booked but every other request was made anyway so we were all very happy. We didn't eat in Nico Osteria restaurant for dinner but we did have breakfast which was amazing too. Everything is within walking distance of this hotel I think and whenever I visit Chicago again I would not hesitate in staying here again!

• Superior King Room

Our air conditioning did not work the first night. They did get it fixed for the second night although it was very noisy and woke us up every time it cycled on. The room was very dark at night, the lights are quite dim. They do not provide any free water for you and charge $6.00 for the bottles they place in the room. No ice available, you have to call room service to get ice.

The location is great.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

the room service is crazy expensive. i wish it were a little less for coffee in the am. but it didn't effect our stay at all.

this was our first visit to The Thompson. ABSOLUTELY could not recommend it more. Great rooms, super friendly, professional staff, amazing door men (ha!) great decor and wonderful neighborhood. we will forever stay here when we come to Chicago!

• Deluxe Lakeview Double Room with Two Double Beds

A very comfortable Hotel in a great position. A beautiful light filled room with a luxurious feel. At the same time the Hotel is a cosy boutique experience.

• Superior King Room

We had to move rooms three times in three days. The first move was an honest mistake. I’d requested a room far away from the elevator. They overlooked this and put us right next to the elevator. They quickly moved us to a higher floor and a room a bit further down .. great! However, two days later after being out all day (from 10:00a - 9:00p), we came back to find a note slipped under our door saying they were unable to fix the bathroom door and to call the front desk to discuss options .. mind you it’s 9:00p. We were quite confused and quickly saw that the door was indeed broken. Long story short, housekeeping broke the door and blamed it on us! And then the night staff proceeded to make us feel like complete burdens for asking if we could move (I was travelling with my aunt and although related, we do like to shower in privacy). Begrudgingly, they moved us .. to the same room we were in the first time! No one came to help us with our bags and it was now 10:30p and we were exhausted. After another try, we were finally moved to an upgraded corner room and slept wonderfully.

The hotel has a cute vibe and is in a great location. Our trip started off wonderful with the front desk sending up a bottle of complimentary champagne but it quickly went downhill after that. Michael and the Day Manager salvaged everything with their kindness.

• Superior King Room

We found the staff very unfriendly and were very disappointed about the level of service.

The hotel was lovely and in a great location. Bar and restaurant were great.

• Deluxe Lakeview Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nothing!! This was an amazing place to stay.

The staff were exceptional - particularly the front desk and concierge who went out of their way to help us when we were grounded by weather, resulting in cancelled flights. The front door staff were friendly, welcoming and went above and beyond to make us feel at home.

• Superior King Room

Can’t think of anything - it was a great experience.

Bed comfortable. Attractive room. I arrived early and they arranged an early check in which was much appreciated.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bottle of water that cost $6 in the room!!

We loved the hotel and our corner room with lake views. We were upgraded at no charge and without requesting it.

• Superior King Room

I do not like the heavy bed quilts used in most hotels these days. Even though it was cold weather I would have appreciated a lighter weight blanket. To be honest I could have requested one but didn't think of it.

The room was much larger than expected - especially the huge wonderful shower! I was even given a ride downtown in the "courtesy car" so didn't have to take a taxi. Thanks - that was a real treat!

• Superior King Room

No coffee or tea facilities in room, although free coffee in reception compensated. Gym could be better equipped.

Top location; comfy, nicely furnished room. Tasty breakfast.

• Corner King Room

There was an issue with the bed linens which was resolved promptly, but should not have been issue to begin with...

From the host when I checked in, to the valet when I got my car... Beautiful. I thought I would never leave the Kimpton Family for service and took a gamble on the Thompson. This was no gamble, this was an unknown sure-fire rockstar of an establishment. That only thing better than the aesthetic of this hotel, the staff. The staff is amazing, wrapped in incredible, with a touch of... Well now I am just impressed. It is the causal professionalism which makes an otherwise design-forward property feel comfortable, like home. A modern home with smart bathrooms and lighting. My hope is they continue to be better, with levels of confidence, consideration, and care that have placed at them at the top of my Chicago, "Places to Stay" list. Continue to do incredible things.

• Corner King Room

The hotel has a great location convenient to Michigan Avenue and adjacent dining. Can't beat the pancake house across the street as well as various bars and restaurants.

I’ve been to Thompson every year, at the same time each year, for the last 4 or 5 years. It’s always been something I look forward to. I was eagerly looking forward to my stay this year as well, but aside from moving up three floors when checking in, things were lackluster. While checking in, I tried to inquire about what, if anything, the hotel had going on for NYE, and was given a list of things to look over for events in the city. Not what I asked for, but not the biggest deal. I’ve also enjoyed wonderful room service experiences in the past, but things were very different this year. My food came up ice cold, never has this happened before. The quality of what I was brought was overall subpar, which is not to be expected from Nico Osteria. Overall, my stay just wasn’t as top notch as it has been in the past. To top it off, had an extremely poor experience dining in Nico Osteria following checkout. Maybe the poor food and service from Nico is the biggest driving factor of my poor outlook on this stay. Even dining in the restaurant, food came out cold. Soup and entree came out at the same time. The chicken dish I ordered was extremely oily. I realize Thompson and Nico are separate, but they are also the same. Overall, both hotel and restaurant fell short of the expectations I had come to expect from my previous stays.

When I arrived, I was apparently meant to be on the sixth floor, but was moved up to the ninth.

• Superior King Room

It took a little while to get ice when we asked for it but we still ended up getting it and there were no big issues.

The bed was really comfortable. I especially loved the set up of the room and the bathroom with the shower head on the ceiling. There were also a lot of channels available on TV.

• Superior King Room

Loved the room. Seating area is great. The bathroom has a wonderful shower! Everyone is extra nice and we loved the area. Will definitely stay there again.

• Superior King Room

The hotel was very clean. The room and bathroom was womderful. The staff was fantastic from the doormen (Murphy was the best) to the front desk and bar staff. I don't travel that much but next time in Chicago I'll be back. Thanks

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Fantastic location, walking distance from the lakeshore and the city center as well. Stylish design, nice lobby, great bar. Room was spacious enough. Very Kind and helpful staff.

• Superior King Room

There is no spa at the hotel and there should be a wider dine in menu. Our room bathroom was great but a tub would have made it even better (something about hotel bubble baths!!).

The bed was outstanding, so comfortable. Staff was extremely friendly and receptive to all questions. Went above and beyond in making a small weekend feel long and luxurious.

• Superior King Room

The bathroom had quite abit of mold in the shower area and the room itself was a little tired.

The hotel lobby is very stylish and the restaurant was always full which is a good sign. The location of the hotel is great as it is easy to get everywhere. The room was big and the shower was great but there were signs of age in the room and bathroom. The coffee in the bar in the mornings is a nice touch.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were put in a handicap room , not by request from us. The room was in bad shape. The toilet handle was broke and water kept running. The toilet seat was falling off. Room seemed beat up . Had no counter space in bathroom. No coffee machine in room. Rooms small for family of 4. Closet very small They did eventually move us to a new room and gave us $100 credit for food.

Location Location Location For price room just ok Nothing to make stand out from competition

nothing to complain about

My room was super quiet and very very clean , the housekeeping staff did amazing job! Room service was fast and good. Front desk was always there for me and always with pleasant attitude. The front door men could not have been nicer, and thanks for the free Thompson car for a lift I needed one morning, Murphy was awesome!!! I wish I could move into the Thompson Hotel permanently!

• Superior King Room

Exceptional value. Price much lower than "the fancy places" and the environment much better. Extremely friendly and accommodating staff (EXTREMELY)..... attractive and quiet public areas.... will definitely use this as my Chicago "base" from now on. Also: right across the street from Tavern on Rush... fantastic steaks.

• Superior King Room

Coffee is only served until 10 AM and the restaurant charges almost $4 for a cup after that time.

Five blocks to the subway, very close to Michigan Avenue and shopping. Lots of very good restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Staff is very helpful and friendly.

• Superior King Room

There are no ice machines on the floors and you have to call room service for it, which they do very quickly. Also there is no coffee machine in the room. You must go to the lobby to get coffee which is served all day complimentary.

The Thompson hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. Booked a boat tour ahead of time on their recommendation which was great. The location is wonderful, near many great restaurants and neighborhoods, far enough from downtown but close enough to Uber or walk (about 25 minutes) The lobby and bar are comfortable and nice. Room had a good view of the neighborhood and was modern and clean

Associated food service unavailable &/or constantly changing--NOT as stated in room; tray of food left in hall on floor for the week there; carpet wet on arrival; took several hours beyond checkin to be notified that room was "ready" & carpet was wet w/ stain.

People greeting were friendly. Plumbing worked. Felt safe enough.

Absolutely amazing! The hotel was perfect, from a wonderful room situatied within the perfect neighborhood . But what set it over the top was the hospitality! From an early checkin in, to making my mom feel so special for her birthday. It was over the top. Do not look any further book The Thompson!

• Superior King Room

There's no street parking, and I thought the parking in the hotel was pricey. I also thought the room rate was expensive.

The Staff were excellent. Very warm and accommodating!

• Deluxe Lakeview Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything was amazing. Incredible location. The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Couldn't have asked for anything more from a hotel. Had a lovely lake view.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

• Superior King Room

Service was a tad slow at Nico, but super friendly and food was great!!

The vibe and location of the property were great. Staff friendly and professional. Rooms were great with amazing walk in shower! Loved the shower!

• Reviewed: 2 March 2017

• Superior King Room

I ordered Nico burger from room service which was a horrible choice, The fries were very tiny and all burned out! That definitely didn't encourage me to order breakfast in the morning and I was ok with coffee and a croissant! I tried the pasta for lunch which wasn't that bad but not great either

Quick and friendly check in by William, the whole experience was great but William the guest service agent made it a fantastic one! Very professional employee! During the check in I mentioned an issue that I experienced last stay at the Thompson to ensure it won't happen again, William listened carefully and apologized, he promised to make sure it won't happen again after handing the keys with a smile he informed me that I was upgraded to a one 1 bedroom suit i believe #2108 in a high floor that meets my request, I couldn't be more happier! I will definitely comeback. Room service staff were very friendly.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

The rooms were adjoining & had a private entrance. This was perfect for our family vacation! The food at Nico's was absolutely wonderful!!! We kept the room servers busy & they were prompt & so friendly. The only place to stay in Chicago with a real dog!!! (Beach is just down the block)

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Superior King Room

It was a slow time at the hotel, and at checkin we were given a room on the PH floor, but a small one with an inconvenient path to one side of the bed. It was a chance to upgrade us with no cost to the hotel. We were visiting our aunt who is dying, and will probably be back soon for a service for her. All a sad time.

We left a phone by mistake. It was given to Head of Security, Mario Jones, who has been very helpful in working with us to send it back. We appreciate both the honesty and help in retrieving it.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• Superior King Room

Stylish, comfortable boutique property with a great vibe. Staff was inviting and professional. The bar was awesome! I didn't have a meal there but the dining scene looked equally great. Loved the location too!

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Superior King Room

Super spacious room with great views of the city. The bathroom was spa like and also very spacious. Neighborhood atmosphere with plenty of restaurants and bars right out the front door.

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Everything was great.

The location is perfect, walking distance to everything. There are several excellent restaurants within 2 blocks and Starbucks is also right there if you need a morning coffee. our room had a great view of the lake and high rise building in the area. It is well worth booking the lakeview room.

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

• Superior King Room

Wish there had been a coffee maker in the room!

Fabulous, big room that was totally quiet, with stunning decor and comfortable bed; loved bathroom with walk-in shower. Lobby and bar were chic and comfortable, with some quiet areas that worked for reading and working. Location is fantastic; staff were friendly and personable.

• Reviewed: 7 August 2016

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

We found a used famine hygiene product at our doorstep when leaving Sunday morning. Absolutely unacceptable when staying at a property of this caliber. We had to clean it up in order to exit our room to make it to the airport.

Great location in beautiful Gold Coast near fabulous shopping and yummy dinning.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Superior King Room

Perfect location! Beautiful Gold Coast is a must see/shop Hotel has an eclectic boutique feeling that starts in the gorgeous lobby and ends in the awesome suites Wonderful staff

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

• Corner King Room

The room amenities. The couch, chair, TV, AC system, and tub were all sub-par and there was no coffee maker in the room or ice machine on the same floor.

The location and service

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Superior King Room

Although check-in time was at 3pm, they were able to accommodate me and get me in by 11am. This really made my day a lot easier. Thank you very much.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I can’t think of anything.

Pros: Excellent 24 hours service, early check-in, maid service ++, location, great style.

n/a

The staff was very helpful and friendly from the get go. The hotel was beautiful and so clean.

• Superior King Room

Location and facility was beautiful!

• Superior King Room

Location is the best in Chicago. Many options for dinner and lunch, shopping, etc. Best place to relax after a working day.

• Superior King Room

The location is great, the bedroom is beautiful with floor to ceiling windows and the bed is just amazing

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything. Free coffe available from 6,30 am. Very kind personnel. The beds super confortable. Big and nice bathroom.

Weird restaurant - for grazing not eating. Service incredibly slow. Expensive

Clean and comfortable - high marks

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location, nice room, very polite staff. Highly recommended.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Excellent location, nice room, very polite staff. High,y recommended.

I liked it all

Great room service and restaurants, large bathrooms, good seating and comfy beds and pillows

• Superior King Room

Nice location, very nice accommodations, and liked the smaller cozier feel for hotel

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Breakfast starts at 7:30 am weekdays, 9:00 am weekends which is quite inconvenient for business stays.

Perfect location, nice neighbourhood

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air conditioning didn't work as well as I wanted it to

Alex at the front desk was awesome! Everyone was so nice and the room was amazing.

Coffeemaker in room and the restaurant does not open until 10am on the weekends

Beds very comfortable and very clean. Lovely views

Great interior design. Clean, friendly staff.

Rug in the room

N/a

N:a

• Superior King Room

Lighting in the room was inadequate.

Very comfortable hotel in a great location

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Loved the decor, the comfy bedding, the wonderful lobby and the complimentary coffee and tea in the morning.

• Superior King Room

Staff and service were excellent.

• Superior King Room

While the gym was fine it could of benefited from being slightly larger and more open.

Great bar/restaurant. Also the hotel car service was nice.

• Superior King Room

Very comfortable bed. Staff are great

• Deluxe Lakeview King Room

Handicap accessible bathroom has almost no counter space to place toiletries, shower door is quite heavy.

Nothing. All amazing

Everything. Wonderful staff. Excellent service.

• Superior King Room

Had to ask for clean linens and they forgot wash clothes when they brought them

Great location and very clean hotel

Outstanding customer service

• Deluxe Lakeview Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beautiful hotel. Super courteous staff. Great location.

Shower complicated to use

Great service, comfortable room

• Superior King Room

Around the hotel many Italian like street restaurants / bars / restaurants, yet in the center of Chicago.