Reviews of Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson 4 stars

49 East Sunnyside Lane, Tarrytown, NY 10591, USA

#4 of 7 hotels in Tarrytown

• King Mansion Room

Our telephone didn’t work and the property needs a freshing up. Carpet is a little worn and the fabric on the furniture needs updating. The room service person didn’t want to bring us tea service. Told us how expensive it would be and told us to get it from the kuerge in the lobby. I like my tea fresh without a plastic taste like it is from a kuergue.

The location. Food was good

The setting was very nice, but you can't really see the Hudson. To me, it was a little overpriced. The AC had some issue and even though I told the staff the next day, they never did anything about it. It is probably best as a conference or wedding facility. They didn't have any laundry facilities

When we arrived the check in had misinformation. We had called twice (days before ) to find out if they gave any discounts for veteran. We were told by Greg in the call center that we would get half off. When we were checking in they told me they would not honor that because they had no such discount.

the property was well maintained, Beautiful flowers and trees. Nice location for taking lots of pictures.

• Standard King Room

Expensive for what you get. It was not any different then any cheaper motel. Parking is a huge problem. They never clean garbage cans on grounds. We hated to leave and come back because the garbage can outside our building smelled like death!

Location was easy access to a lot!

• Standard King Room

I didn't like to waite when the restaurant was not busy. My reason is we didn't not have a reservation an wasn't told at the front desk. If they desk staff told us we didn't hear it. We sat over 20 mins in the bar waiting. Yes, we kept watch on the coming and going of dinners, nobody came in buy 4 guests left out. We sow over 6 empty tables in the first room. The food was really good but overpriced.

I thought the overall condition of the property was vary tranquil, amazing and a breathtaking views. What a peaceful get away, it's not a one night stay for sure. I would recommend a weekend stay or longer even a 2 day stay.

• Standard King Room

Beautiful estate, friendly staff. They make every effort to accommodate your requests. Only negative is there is no breakfast included for the price you pay and the breakfast fee of 25.00 pp is the highest I have seen so far.

• One Bedroom Executive Suite

It is a very difficult property to maneuver around. Parking areas not always convenient to rooms. You really needed a map and be mobile to get from one place to another. I think it should be better acknowledged to anyone staying that it is an older facility and not modernized enough to easily get around the property. I can't imagine anyone with even a small handicap getting around. A lot of walking from one place to another.

The suite was comfortable , liked having bath and a half. Staff helpful when needing anything.

• Standard King Room

The commode in the bathroom was very low. If you are a senior it might be a problem using one that low.

The room was great and the service was exceptional

Based on the photos, I thought the room would be more unique, not so “cookie cutter”. Also, the bath towels were awful. They felt like sandpaper. Instead of offering a huge, heavy bathrobe that’s only suitable to wear in the dead of winter, upgrade the bath towels.

Beautiful grounds, friendly staff.

Nothing :-D

I really love coming to Tarrytown. Everything is perfect. The location is stunning and the staff always go out of their way to make your stay comfortable and stress free. The food is great too. I can't think of anything that wasn't just right. Thank you

• Standard King Room

The format of the hotel is very spread out with portions of the commute outdoors. Not a great idea in the winter.

The bed was super comfy. The rest of the amenities were as expected. The food was ordinary and predictable.

They have thin walls and unfortunately our neighbours made too much noise walking from 11pm to 2:00am (kids probably) and we couldn't sleep.

Bedroom was very clean, and beds were comfortable

Because it is a campus type of environment, the parking lot for our room was a long ways from the building in which we were housed.

Beds were very comfortable and room was very clean. The grounds are lovely.

• Standard King Room

First when you go to check they do not have a sign that states do not unload your luggage here as I had to reload and drive around the back-the bathroom on the first floor was a mess paper towels all over the container and the floor and no one was there very bad first impression

• Standard King Room

The amenities for the money is not worth it. We would be charged $6 for one bottle of water that was placed in our room. The water should be complimentary. The price dud not include breakfast. Breakfast was overpriced $25 per person. We left our room Saturday morning at 930 am and returned around 3pm and housekeeping had not yet arrived. When my husband and I were in the room they decided to show up and disturbed us. The hotel should have made sure they had emough personnel on duty to clean the rooms. I will never recommend this place to anyone. I would have been better off at Holiday Inn Express. This was my honeymoon and wanted it to be extra special. Very disappointed.

The location. It was mear home.

• Standard King Room

This is one of the worst, if not the worst, hotel room I've ever stayed in. I regret booking this hotel. There is nothing luxurious or inviting about this place. 1) It was unclean 2) It was noisy - the floors are made out of plywood. We could hear everything going on in the room above us. The cleaning staff were loud in the hallways. We were barely able to sleep. 3) It was decrepit - we stayed here in January and we had to use towels to isolate the area around the air conditioner. Furniture was old and used.

• Deluxe Double Room

Very cold hallways. Lots of walking around many corridors with stairs to get anywhere Considered it our daily exercise- helped burn off our delicious breakfast!

Very courteous staff - everyone was professional & pleasant. other guests were nice - have never been to a hotel where that happened! Would love to return!

• Standard King Room

The parking is rough, the larger lot was literally a quarter mile walk to our room. There were closer parking spots but not nearly enough. The heating system is older so it was hard to control the temp in the room.

The grounds are lovely

The steam room wasn't working

Very beautiful hotel, nice view, cozy accommodations. It's far from the main street, but we used uber to go where we needed and it worked fine.

Better directions where everything is on the property, the place is spread out over several buildings. Breakfast is good but a bit expensive. There are not many optioins to get food, the hotels caters predominantly to large groups (wedding, conferences).

Good size rooms, comfortable beds, cable TV, very good wifi connection

Heat and bed noisy.

Beautiful property. Very quiet and scenic. Very unique property. Staff very friendly and helpful. Easy to get to from New England Thruway. Excellent for romantic get away.

Kind of mixed decor; although the property was almost palatial, many of the rooms were in an annex that was pretty standard hotel appearance...2 long hallways, could have been a Marriot residence inn. In lobby they ran out of coffee and pretty much said "too bad". If it had been a Ritz the answer would have been just a second, sir! Our room was about $300 a night. Wasn't really worth it.

beautiful location, gorgeous grounds.

• Deluxe Double Room

I wish the hotel sent email suggesting to book Halloween seasonal activities in advance.

Parking was tough due to full booking of a wedding event. Not fair to hotel guests paying full price. Valets to assist with luggage should be more readily available. Only Disappointment: I booked 3 rooms in July for an end October stay and requested they ALL be near each other and they were not. Also, all rooms varied in size, but same price was charged for all.

• Deluxe Double Room

Noisy you could hear talking in rooms next to you and in the halls. Room doors closed really loud. Parking was difficult - you had to go back out on the public road to circle the back for parking spaces. Wifi was really slow.

The estate and gardens were beautiful.

• Standard King Room

The outside pool could have been open. Other than that, a fantastic experience.

Big property nice to walk around. We enjoyed the outside terrace after brunch. We sat outside with nice view of the water. Fantastic Sunday brunch. Better than expected. We used the indoor pool and jacuzzi and treadmills.

Room and facility was a huge disappointment. Room looked nothing like photos on website. No updates. Embarrassing to have invited a guest here.

The photos on website and driveway up to the property made the property seem grand. Lobby was upscale.

I got this room for my sister and her partner, as a gift. From the pictures and advertising, i was expecting an old fashioned, romantic room. Instead, it looked like an average room for a conference. I would not book a room here again.

Nice clean room, with beautiful grounds.

There was a nasty smell throughout and the customer service was abysmal, they also advertised facilities that were not available

The grounds and location

• Standard King Room

Rooms not well soundproofed--could hear other rooms when in bathroom. Available parking. The $6 water. Room not well ventilated until we called front desk. Crank for window needs repair.

Love the toiletries, towel and maid service is excellent. Beautiful grounds no matter what season.

After we checked out we had lunch at the cellar the bill came to $66.30 we paid with Amex and left $15 tip in cash. Shortly after my husband gets alert from Amex reflecting our bill at $79 "pending". He went back to restaurant and staff reassured us it would be "fine". As of Monday morning 9/25 bill still not adjusted. Hotel website should be updated to reflect this along with indicating the outdoor pool is only available to adults. Unclear why i can't imagine why a family with kids would want to use only the indoor pool esp in the summer. Being transparent to consumers is essential.

Over the years have been here numerous times esp when our pool was being redone. Staff always gracious desk, restaurant and kitchen!

• Standard King Room

Booked a roon for a King size bed and gave me a room with double full beds. I should have got what I signed up for and not have to go back to front desk or wait longer to fix it my self.

Beautiful and clean stay.

The place it too big, it's easy to get lost. I found the main purpose of the property is weddings and events- not a lot of attention to just a couple coming to stay. There was a LOT of noise, I woke up 5 times in the middle of the night and even asked people to be quiet after the left the wedding and was standing outside my window and in the hallway. Another big disappointment was that the Jacuzzi was closed! It was too cold to use the pool. And in this price we paid for one night, one would expect to have the breakfast included in the room. Anyway, not valued for money for me AT ALL.

The property is very impressive, it's massive, And the restaurant in the hotel was great for dinner.

• Standard King Room

Dining options are pricey and limited. Gym needs a few more modern machines.

Comfy bed, clean gym and hot tub. Excellent fire pit for cool summer evenings. Beautiful grounds. Cozy bar and restaurant in historic building.

• One Bedroom Executive Suite

Parking was awful. I checked in late and there was a wedding, no more valet service and the only parking I could (eventually) find was way down the hill. The 2 people at the registration desk did nothing to help solve the (frustrating) parking issue not just for me but another guest who was checking in. They were very nonchalant about the situation and left us up to our own devices. The property is huge and it took me about 10 min to hike up the 3 hills from the out of the way parking lot and go through 3 buildings (using a map) to get to my room.

Room was spacious and very comfortable. Pretty grounds. Close to areas of interest (Sleepy Hollow, Lindhurst Castle, Hudson River) and quaint walkable towns.

• Standard King Room

Little hilly for seniors Had to call for ice, no ice stations available

Dinner was very good. Only had one meal, but portions were good and service was also

The property was beautiful, the amenities were easy and accessible - there was no usual strain over hiring sports equipment or pool towels. the gym, racket ball court, etc was all beautiful, the basketball and tennis courts were fine - both my partner and I played on both, very fun. Staff were kind and accommodating and the rooms were beautiful and clean.

• Standard King Room

its like a maze. absense of elevators in the logical places, terrible stairs to conquer with your luggage, no help offered with your luggage. they lost our washing and handed it back unwashed in the end

location, beautiful area, comfortable room and area

• King Mansion Room

Booked a king bed, room had queen. Pictures show building with sweeping porch and King rooms with balconies. Could find no rooms with balconies on the building and room was small. Only window in room had a window air conditioner, built in A/C was not working. Closet had a cheap curtain hanger with cheap sheer as door to closet.

Grounds were nice but cigarette butts everywhere on sidewalks

• Deluxe Double Room

Going up and down the stairs with your bags if you just want to go to your room right away without asking for help. It would have been great to have some kind of continental breakfast. The $25 breakfast was a little much.

The history of the place and the location is beautiful and relaxing. The food at the restaurant is excellent although a little pricey.

Plastic mattress cover was noisy and too warm. Noisy neighbors and housekeeping staff in the morning.

Beautiful grounds. Lots of activities. Well located for our purpose.

• Deluxe Double Room

No elevators. We weren't familiar with this facility and found out later that there aren't any elevators. We also only saw one porter. No one asked if we needed help with our luggage and we didn't know anyone would help.

The room was clean and the shower was great with good pressure. There was a restaurant onsite that was sufficient for our dinner. We didn't stay long enough to explore the grounds but it looked like a resort from the past.

Although this would not deter me from staying there again, only prepare better next time. Not having a moderately priced restaurant or even takeout for lunch or quick bite for snack before 5 pm is the only thing that seemed inconvenient. Unless you want to pay pricey room service. I became hungry at the pool, but didn't want to spend that much on room service. If we get a chance to go back again, I'd just pick up some lunch meat, vegetables, chips, soda, and bread from local deli and keep in the room refrigerator. No biggie.

EVERYTHING! My husband and I would like to go back. Great place, great location. Staff so nice clean.

There were multiple events (wedding, family reunions) going on at the hotel during the weekend we stayed. We were told we couldn't park near our room at one point. As just weekend guests, we were also told we could not order food while at the bar/restaurant for a long period of time because the kitchen was backed up because of the other events.

The property is beautiful. Very comfortable beds. Good wines at the bar. Pool is fun, clean and the grill at the bar is excellent.

A/C very difficult to turn off and manage. Staff should have let us know about vending machines location upon check in... as there is only a fancy restaurant and we drive to the store for water/soda/snacks.

Atmosphere and elegance

• Standard King Room

Facility is hard to negotiate. Rooms are varied in size and comfort for same price. Only one restaurant on site that was unusable because of a wedding. Pool closes very early for a hot summer day. Not pleased at all with our stay, which was the last night of a vacation.

Bartenders at the restaurant were top notch.

Everything, they're insincere, overcharge, food sucked and they have no elevators or even ramps. I'll start with what was good because it'll take less time to list it than what was bad: The good: - There is a lot of pretty grounds, fountains, flowers, etc. And that is about it. We met a gentleman who was strictly staying there for some Audi convention (seems they get a lot of their guests by forcing them to stay there while they're there for a convention or conference) and we whole-heartedly agreed that this place sucked and we even mentioned Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz at the same time. We also overheard a couple other people come out of the lobby basically saying the place sucks. The bad: - I used booking.com for booking my stay and it did not mention that in addition to the charge, they would hold *$80 PER NIGHT* for incidental damages upon check-in. I wasn't worried that we'll break something but it was annoying to basically hand over $160 - and that money may not make it back to my bank account if they deem I damaged something and if they deem I didn't, it'll still take up to 10 days. Had I known about this, I wouldn't have booked with them. Speaking of check in, I up front paid cash for the nights we stayed and offered to put down the cash for the incidental damage too. They made us go to the bank and deposit the money because a card is better than cold hard cash. This was the first sign that they're inflexible and not geared towards customer satisfaction. - We had dinner the first night at Cellar 49. You can read my review there but in short, the ribeye steak was unevenly cooked, the Ceaser Salad we got as an appetizer was just three wedges of lettuce and the Mac and cheese was average at best. The only good thing was the glass of wine and whiskey we had. On that note, do NOT order room service unless you want to be overcharged.

Pretty grounds

We were placed in a basement type of room, very little natural light. The room was small for three of us. And we had horrible neighbors, very loud and disruptive.

The location was great and the grounds were fantastic. It has beautiful statues and gardens.

• Standard King Room

The parking is very far and also it's hard to navigate around the property. The pool was abit dirty, and the jacuzzi was broken and also smelled like mold.

The property and the scenery is gorgeous.

• Standard King Room

Air conditioner broken, only replaced halfway through two-night stay. Ice machine broken. Wifi cuts out in the gym, and cell service anywhere is pretty much impossible. Not enough chairs around the pool area, several were broken/unusable.

Beautiful grounds! Lots of space to walk, lovely patio areas. Comfortable bed. Despite some minor negatives, I would return.

• Standard King Room

adked for a kings masion room couldn't get a room with dick but thats ok thre are only a few and i was stuck to one weekend to travel there. room not ready, front desk no english, i ended up getting in a part of property soo far from parking it was ridicuous, i was by the pool however we couldn't go in as it was dirty and only then did i realize there was no filter, my new after finding out i was not in kings mansion they sayd theres gardens or statues ...my room was a tree and hwy the property was beautiful but it was my best booking at all AND it was my 30th anniversary to my husband!!!

We loved the estate, grounds etc. Would have appreciated more flexibility for breakfast. ( coffee and a muffin for example) But overall we enjoyed our stay

• Standard King Room

This a large site with lovely views and there is only one bar and restaurant and that is underground. There is a temporary bar by the pool, but that has a limited range and only canned beer. The room we had was a long way from reception and quite difficult to get to public areas. There was no fan in the bathroom. The only way to get into Tarrytown was by taxi - a shuttle would have been nice.

The location and the gardens.

No elevators!

The beds were comfortable, the food was excellent and the property was absolutely beautiful. I would love to come back and spend more time there.

Several light bulbs (room 205) were out and I forgot to report it (bathroom vanity and coffee nook area) Wi-Fi was wobbly when I was there, but that could've been environmental.

Perfect stay for business travel. (and likely for personal travel) The grounds are beautiful and the room was very comfortable. I wish I'd had time to take advantage of the pool. But we used the 'sun room' for catching up on work, then trotted down to Cellar 49 for dinner. (The front bar portion has more appeal than the rear table area). All the amenities you need for travel: wi-fi, in room breakfast, ironing board, coffee etc.

• Standard King Room

Room service and restaurant were overpriced.

Everything was great, it's a really cool location! Felt like a resort! We feel like we got a really good value for the price we paid (around $130/night).

• Standard King Room

Wifi is slow but I believe that was due to an internet crash on the entire trip state area. More plush towels in the bathroom would be nice. Bed linens were of high quality and luxurious to sleep in.

Heaven on earth!!! Delightful staff....friendly and accommodating. Views are peaceful and relaxing. Able to work without the added stress. Knowledgeable bartender who knows how to make any drink to ease away the days demands. Planning an event on their property was an easy exchange of ideas. Thnx Steve and Steven and lovely other staff members.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Did not get the type of rooms I booked, switched us upon arrival. One room had a shower that leaked and flooded the bathroom floor. Reported it to management they assured me it would be fixed - was never fixed reported three consecutive days never fixed. Garbage and dirty towels left outside our cottage three days very unpleasant, no parking near cottage. Terrible service. Worst expensive hotel I have ever stayed at!!!

Grounds are beautiful

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Access to the room and orientation in the hotel is very difficult. Parking near the room is impossible. During dinner, the noise came from the bar interfere and spoil our event.

The hotel environment. The room is good.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

They know we're a family of 5 but there were only 2 beds. No way to include an extra bed but they took the reservation for 5 people !!

The property is really nice

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• Standard King Room

They did not have a concierge. The desk staff was not as helpful or informed on local activities. Also the parking was horrendous!

A very historic hotel. Very conveniently located.

• Deluxe Double Room

Well, some of our group slept in late and we missed the breakfast that closed at 10:30 on Sunday, so that was disappointing. But the couple that did make it said it was fabulous. The only other complaint was that it took me until day 4 to find my way around. It is such a maze!!

The hotel was stunning. Wish we could have spent more time just enjoying the surroundings. We were there for my son's graduation from West Point, so it was a bit hectic. We had a nice dinner at Cellar 49 on Thursday evening, and they were so kind to serve us even though it was 10 minutes to closing the kitchen. After a long day at the graduation, we celebrated with a toast at Cellar 49 and all sat comfortably in the couches in the bar. It was a special time for our family and friends. Sunday morning was spent reading by the pool and my son said breakfast was outstanding.

No obvious sign when driving to. Layout of the buildings and parking lot detached. Ad is miss leading states a room with a view gave the feeling that it was a view of the Hudson River. Also to get ice for the room was a 3 flight 300 yard expedition Sherpa needed!

They have charged the double of the price of the room. We have to call booking.com to fix it. The hotel added some extra taxes we were not informed about.

The location was good. Close to small safe city and neighbourhood.

• Standard King Room

disappointing reception staff were not very knowledgeable and were unfamiliar with check-in process. Accessibility of the entire facility was disappointing also - we were with elderly people who had difficulty with the distance to the nearest handicap parking, lack of elevators and lack of accessible facilities including the bath.

• Standard King Room

One problem was had and should not have happened. I made sure to go to the registration desk early in the day to add my brother's name to a room under my name for him to stay in. I thought that when he came in he would have no problem. I was at Biddle house having my hair and make-up done for the wedding and he was sitting in the lobby for two hours and someone offered to use his credit card so that my brother would get a key to his room. I remedied this situation after the wedding that night at 11PM by going down to the registration and making sure that the gentlemen who gave his card for my brother did not get charged and made sure that they put it on my card. I felt this was not handled properly and made it inconvenient.

On the most part the staff was extremely helpful, professional and understanding.

• Reviewed: 20 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Housekeeping did not make up our room after the first night. When we returned from a day of sightseeing, the room was not cleaned/beds not made. We mentioned it to front desk, but housekeeping staff were gone, so they sent down towels and soap. Disappointing.

• Standard King Room

Poor leisure facilities. Swimming pool, spa and changing rooms are very tired and need a refurbishing. Limited and expensive options for eating on site but plenty to choose from in the local area.

DIDNT LIKE THE SHOWER HEAD...NO PRESSURE AT ALL

I LIKES THE BED SO MUCH I AM PURCHASING THE SAME SHEETS FOR HOME THE BREAKFAST BUFFET WAS AMAZING MY WIFE WAS AMAZING ALSO

• Standard King Room

We were a party of older people and younger folks with lots of baby gear. We did not realize how much walking up and down stairs we would have to do. No elevators! That was a problem for all of us. We frequently encountered other guests wandering about as lost as we often were. The maps are not really helpful and the signs in the hallways only hint at where things are. Why does no sign actually say "This way to the pool"?

The room was spacious and clean. The bed was very comfortable. The swimming pool was pleasant--when we finally found it! The grounds are lovely and well manicured.

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

• Standard King Room

the floor plan was very confusing. had to walk down several flights of steps with luggage to reach our room. also parking lot was not located near our room.

the décor & grounds are beautiful, the staff was pleasant & helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

There was no continental breakfast..that should be an option to the $25 buffet.

The grounds were beautiful and serene..Wild Canadian geese when you first Drive into the regal look of the gates and andreas mansions. Lots of history to learn about the area and Estates themselves. I don't drink coffee so couldn't tell how good it was but the tea was good.

• One Bedroom Executive Suite

Staff was not great. Lots of stairs and very confusing to get around property. Parking was tough as well. The room was big but needs updating in baths and furniture.

• Deluxe Double Room

I think breakfast buffet had not so much of choices; omelet and waffle center was great but overall small choices of food. Indoor pool was great, but sauna room was so old.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Standard King Room

no sign for entry.....at night it made it extremely difficult to see where to go up into the estate no light on the name of the section we were staying in ....so again , very difficult to see where the rightbuilding . was.....Also parking for Putnam was again not lit and backing up was narrow with a small cliff drop off in the dark!!!

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

• Standard King Room

It is awkward getting around the property. From the double doors you must pull open while juggling suitcases to the MANY stairs to travel. If you have mobility issues I would not recommend this property

Very friendly staff. Beautiful location. Clean comfortable quiet rooms with the bonus of a lovely onsite restaurant that is cozy and inviting with very good food so once you have arrived...you don't need to leave!