Reviews of Warwick Allerton Chicago 4 stars

701 North Michigan Avenue, Streeterville, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#106 of 146 hotels in Chicago

in our first room our headboard was literally up against the wall of the elevator shaft, so we asked to be moved. They were able to move us but our second room was very small - room for a king bed but not much more, and lost out on the microwave. Shouldn't charge for internet service each day either.

great location

• Standard Room

Very Small Room. No Refrigerator. Had to ask staff to provide refrigerator. Brought one but put in the entry hallway. Air conditioning too cold. Extremely overpriced. Decent breakfast but not up to international standards. Excellent crew to hail taxi. Very slow Bell crew moving bags to room. Room had bed only. No sitting area. Generally overpriced Chicago rip off. Good location. Would not stay there again.

• Standard Room

Believe the hotel is great but we didnt get a good room. A small one tucked away in the back with no view. Think we would have enjoyed it more had our room been a bit better. However great property overall and good location.

No complaints

Great hotel in perfect location for exploring central Chicago. Staff were helpful and we were able to store our luggage as we arrived mid- morning.

They woke me up at 1:45 am when posting my bill..so I felt like they stole a £200 night from me , when I complained they didn’t seem to care as id already paid..

Very central

• Standard Room

Rooms are tiny, pretty old and you hear all the noise from the streets. Beds are super small - they call it a king, I call it a queen. Staff has been unfriendly to aggressive. Daily rate was ridiculous.

The location is the only positive.

Our room was a bit dark and loud because of the ventilators outside. The room furniture was old and WC equipment looks worn. Especially the rugs need to be renewed. They cater for a odor.

the price performance index is over average. and the location is perfect!

• Standard Room

Elevator situation is very poor right. Is due to maintenance. Entire hotel serviced by 3 small elevators it seems. Very long waits.

Clean. Great location.

1) bureaucratic approach 2) big and old 3) unsatisfied personnel (it feels: not individual approach at some situations, some unhappy baggage men, 4) very old building 5) very noisy fan in bathroom 6) dirty windows 7) no welcome water for such kind of hotel and 4****-service 8) noise from streets are very-very loud, even at the last story, even late at night, horning cars, long sirens etc 8) sharp and not safe glass in the showers 9) hair dryer doesnt work 10) take a deposit without notification 10) bathroom door closes itself from inside so had to call ingeneer.11) internet is slow

1) locaton on magnificent mile 2) Woody Harrelson twin as a baggage man 3) bed 4) table and chair

The bathroom was very tight with the door in the way of the sink!! You had to keep the door close to use sink. That was very bad because it was too hot in the bathroom. Kept the ac at 64. Still was warm.

Location was great!

• Standard Room

What I didn’t like was the added charge to my bill. They still charged me an additional 100 dollars and I don’t understand why when everything should of been included with the set price

The staff was very friendly. We needed directions a few times and recommendations for breakfast and the gentleman who opened the doors and helped with luggage was always helpful and always pleasant.

• Standard Room

The Room was warm the whole time, went down to the front desk twice, they supposedly sent someone to take a look at the AC but it was still warm! They didn’t offer a different room or anything.

It was clean

• Superior Suite

The staff.

I didn’t find the staff helpful. We had to ask for extra toilet paper after housekeeping cleaned the room and never replenished for 3 days. Our check was at 4pm. We got to the hotel at 5:00pm and we had to wait 45 minute to get our room. When I asked why the room wasn’t ready I was told there was no reason. The location is great. It’s an average stay.

• Standard Room

Breakfast is not included. Expensive (above $22 each). At the round corner, there are three different options to have breakfast at lower prices!!

Perfect location! In the middle of magnificent mile! 3 blocks away from the water tower!

• Standard Room

I had to go to the front desk to ask to give me a new room key more 3x during my stay. I was told on my second time to keep the card away from my phone, but I still had to get a new card on the 3rd time! It was a bit of a hassle to go to the lobby for a new key each time I needed to go back to my room.

The location of this hotel is HANDS DOWN the best part. My friend and I thought we were incredibly lucky to be staying right along the Magnificent Mile. A lot of things were within walking distance - Oak Street Beach, MCA, Boat tours, even the Bean was walkable! If you aren't a walker, buses and subways are all within a 2-5 block radius. There was also a Trader Joe's about 2 blocks away where we picked up inexpensive water bottles, snacks, and cold lunches for the daytime.

• Standard Room

There was a noisy little broken spring in the mattress, but it wasn't aweful. Still slept great.

Great Location! *Front door is on the side street, rather than main road. Makes it nice for coming & going (and loading) with luggage and bags. It was very clean. ALL of the staff that we came in contact with were extremely friendly!

• Standard Room

Excellent hotel in every aspect (for the money) Very nice stuff. Waiter Raul really stand out- extremely friendly and caring about providing excellent service

• Standard Room

Room is narrow, there is no free wifi which is kind of standard for the most places where I used to stay. Staff is not too friendly and willing to help except of a doorman who got a cab for me.

The location is excellent, near John Hancock Building. Hotel itself is located in a historical building. Bed is comfy.

• Standard Room

The fridge had a $50 lock (the only fridge in the room), the door had to be bodychecked to properly lock, staff were either aloof or uncomfortably aware of you

Great location, gorgeous building and rooms, upscale and excellent for the price

• Standard Room

The front desk staff were rude particularly one who seemed like a manager. Our room was never processed in the computer so it was booked twice. Someone walked into our room thinking it was their room. The elevator was a pain in the butt because of the size and the lengthy wait times. Other then location and cheaply priced I would recommend looking elsewhere.

The location is great and I was able to find a good deal on a holiday weekend.

• Standard Room

When the staff found out we were on our honeymoon they immediately upgraded us to a suite and gave us a free breakfast. Brilliant stay and excellent location.

• Standard Room

I had a coffee maker in my room which was great but the staff kept forgetting to refill the coffee. I had to ask reception twice for more regular coffee and cups and on the last day there was again no coffee but I couldn't be bothered to call down again. It's a small thing but something that is quite annoying to have to keep asking for.

The bed was really comfortable. There were new towels everyday and plenty of them. The location is perfect since you are right in the center. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

Never told all the added expenses, no pool, parking was outrageous $60/night! Congestion in the city & I’m from a city but just was not an enjoyable stay! As much as you pay for the hotel there is not a FREE continental breakfast! Have to pay extra for a refrigerator, WiFi, and basically anything! Huge surprise of how expensive the city of Chicago is!! Won’t stay here again!

That it was clean

• Standard Room

As I recall, there was a chair in the room, and they provided pen and paper, but no actual desk, so I used my computer in bed, which is not my favorite. The breakfast was disappointing, for a hotel. More like diner food made to look nice. The potatoes tasted frozen, from a bag.

The staff are super professional and accommodated my needs even before I asked. Particularly Alicia, whose effortless customer service is a model for others to follow. She was personable and thoughtful, without being fake or obsequious. The restaurant staff were also great.

$60 to park for one night is a bit much especially when they charge to park everywhere you go, i feel $30 for the night is ok it’s like you give us no option but to pay $60 because there is no other place to park

We had to wait an hour for our luggage to make it to our room.

The staff were so friendly and welcoming. We arrived early and left late but our luggage was accommodated so we could enjoy seeing Chicago.

• Standard Room

The hotel can use some renovation and innovation! Nightrest is disturbed by old, loud airconditioning-system and bad curtains. Elevators are slow and often fullpacked with people (too little capacity for the guests). The frontdesk-staff (including the supervisor) is arrogant and not professional, unwilling to help and doesn't keep promises at all!

The location is perfect if you'd like to discover the city-centre. But there are lots of other hotels in the neighbourhood. Housekeeping-women are very kind.

• Standard Room

Room wasn’t cleaned properly last guest rubbish was still on the table. Room was small with wall paper pealing, floor mouldings we’re pulling off the wall and had wood root. Carpet was missing patches. Definitely not like the pictures. Also I was near the lifts which is very noisy with elevator arrival bell and people talking as there waiting Would not stay there again.

Great location. Gym is pretty good. Easy walk to all areas.

• Standard Room

Our rooms assigned were too close to the elevators, and it was noisy at night. The check-in and check-out lines are too long...

Great location, friendly staff

• Double Room with 2 Queen Beds

No room service. No vending machines. No free coffee in the lobby as advertised on the website. The room we were given was awful (tiny with a lovely view of brick walls), bathroom had no shelves in shower, no counter.

Bathroom small. Toilet paper awful. Tv had no guide to tell you what programs were on. No book in room with information about hotel or surrounding area.

Location, clean. Good bed, good doormen

• Petite Classic

Reception staff were very rude, sheets didn't fit the bed, pillows were lumpy, tried to charge for wi-fi even after it said it was included. Lifts take forever.

Good location, housekeeping staff were nice.

• Standard Room

Our room was spacious, elegant and comfortable. The staff went out of their way to help us, especially Manny, the engineer, who voluntarily took the time to assist us with our recalcitrant, idiosyncratic telephone.

• Standard Room

Wi fi was not free, when I pressed the button on the phone "call to reception", I was not connected to reception of the hotel, but to some call centre of the whole chain and next day I got the invoice for a long-distance call! The staff at check in was not welcome, but concierge service was great!

The location of the hotel, the room quite nice, but small. Good coffee from starbucks provided together with a little coffee machine in the room.

• Standard Room

That anyone can come off the street and gain access to the upper floors without a room key. It was unusual to see that these days. And the creepy guy COULD have followed us up...but didn't. (An important reason to always be aware of your surroundings and who's in them...)

When there was an early issue with our room, the front desk person took pity on my daughter (who had just had her tonsils out) and upgraded her to a suite. And also was very careful about telling us the room number because there was a fellow who seemed to be trying to listen in. Good job!

• Petite Classic

Hot water comes slowly but still it comes :)

As we arrived very early in the morning after a night flight the reception agent did his best to arrange our check in so we didn’t wait until the afternoon. Comfortable beds and pillows; close to John Hancock center. Close to the main attractions and downtown Chicago;

• Standard Room

Carpets very dirty, safe in room didn't work, electrical problems necessitated crawling under the desk to swap some plugs in order to get the desk lamp and computer power to work. Got a bit of food poisoning from a meal at the bar. Elevators continue to be a problem, very slow.

Nice soft towels and sheets. Bed was comfortable, decor was pleasant. Bar area in lobby was a nice gathering spot. Location very central.

Reception desk staff are not friendly at all from arrival to departure, very rude had to wait for my room 30 minutes when I arrived around 9:30 PM and check in suppose to be at 04:00 PM would never stay there again.....

• Standard Room

Did not try breakfast as it was a little pricey for what was listed. Otherwise, no negatives from us.

Great location! Within walking distance of everything we wanted to see and eat :) Comfy room. Nice staff.

• Standard Room

The noise from the street is very loud. The blow dryer didn’t work- which I discovered the morning of the meeting. And while I appreciate having the coffee maker... there was no coffee. Lastly, they got rid of room service, which is really unfortunate if you had a big working day and just want to eat and unwind with a little bit of room service.

The staff here are wonderful. Absolutely wonderful. I know people complain about the elevators, but they are totally fine- a few minutes extra are no big deal. The local is perfect- walking distance to everything.

I have to say I was kept up some parts of the night by some vibrating noise by something out side the my door. Sounded like it was something in the ceiling. It was quite annoying actually.

Great look and feel. Room was spacious and comfortable. Bed was very nice.

• Standard Room

I was very disappointed to find out that they wanted to charge a $25 fee for opening the mini fridge to store our left overs from earlier in the day! Also, the door to the bathroom was in a weird spot or it should have opened out instead of in. They supposedly did not have a microwave anywhere in the hotel that could be used by a guest either. Not impressed, will not be back.

• Standard Room

Cleanliness. Our bathroom had someone else’s Urine in it and one towel. Never got more towels after requesting. Check in we waited over an hour to get our room even though we arrived after 4 as told. Charged us for a breakfast that was said to be free. AC in room didn’t work. They took 3 hours total to fix. Housekeeping knocking on door late at night even though privacy sign was up. You can hear housekeeping in the halls late at night. Very slow elevators. Just not a pleasant experience!!!! Awful really

• Standard Room

It took two days to round up shampoo for my room. WiFi isn’t really “FREE”. You have to sign up for the Warwick hotels program and provide personal information.

• Executive King Room

Wished room service was available.

From the moment I srrivrf my experience was great! The staff was very helpful and friendly. Regarding the room, it wasnt ready when I arrived so was given an upgrade to a newly renovated room...turned out it was suite! The space was very nice and the bed was super comfortable as well. And was impressed on how to request your car from valet with just a text! 👍🏼

• Standard Room

I arrived at 1:30 pm and my room wasn’t ready. I was told I would get a call when it was ready. I went for lunch and returned to the hotel at 3:30 pm, waiting for the call. At the check in time of 4 pm, I was still sitting in a lobby waiting for the call, which never came. I noticed guests who were just arriving were being given keys to their rooms right away, yet I checked in a few hrs before them and was still waiting for a room. I approached the front desk and was informed my room had been ready for a while. There was no apology for not calling and making me just linger around til 4 pm. I was charged $60 per night deposit fee, which was not advertised anywhere on Booking.com. The only fees Booking advertises is a $60 per night parking fee. Expedia clearly mentions these deposit fees. I was surprised and disappointed at these ‘hidden’ fees. None of the staff I encountered during my three day stay ever smiled. From bell men to front desk staff to a manager who checked me in; nobody smiled, ever, even once. Smiles are free and they go a long way; encountering miserable staff, makes it for a miserable experience. The standard room was cheap, but extremely small. Appropriate for a single traveller only. No microwave and no mini fridge in the room, which forced me to eat ouside all the time. Could not even keep cold water on hand or warm up those delicious deep dish pizza leftovers. Carpets are extremely worn out and dirty throughout the hotel, including the guest rooms. Warwick also has the slowest, smallest and the narrowest elevators I have ever seen in a hotel. Be prepared for long waits.

Location was good, but if you are not in Chicago exclusively for shopping, I would recommend staying somewhere near Millenium park. Better restaurants and closer to attractions. Still, I was able to access all attractions by foot, and as a single female, I felt extremely safe being surrounded with so many shops and people. The bed was very comfy and the bathroom was great.

• Standard Room

I was disappointed in my room this time. My husband and I try to stay in Chicago at least twice a year and have always stayed at the Warwick. It was our 41st wedding anniversary and we have had much better rooms in the past. We are book for over the Christmas holidays and I hope we get a better room. Overall, we love the place. Thank-you for listening. Mrs. Patino

Location was perfect for shopping, dining and sight seeing. Your employees are so kind and helpful.

• Standard Room

The elevators are slow, but functional and it really didn't make that much difference to our enjoyment of this great old place.

Staff: very welcoming

The walls are too thin it was next to a hospital and I was on the 24th floor but still heard the siren of the ambulances and horn hunks on the street. The carpet is nasty The furniture is damaged

Location location location

• Executive King Room

Having to pay for the wifi.... $10/24 hr! This is unless you subscribe to their member e-mail list (and we missed this information, due to very unclear inlog page.)

Fan in the bathroom didn’t work. Long wait time for the elevator. Fridge was horrible, once it locked so we had to call someone to open it for us. No free coffee as promised. To have free wifi we had to sign up somewhere

• Standard Room

Check In was Awful, worst in a long time. Took forever and check in staff didn’t seem to care. Our check out was for 11 am....sleep in until 0900. Hell no! The maids at 0800 we’re talking back and forth so loud. I’m very easy going but it was pure BS! Really uncalled for! Need more soap then one ...

Bell men were very polite, rooms nice, location! HD Tv, Starbucks coffee in the room ..

• Executive King Room

Leaving with two bags, computer bag, and handbag, doorman blurted “follow me.” I stumbled through the door and dragged me bags behind me. He did throw two of them in the back of the car. I didn’t tip him. I was angry all the way to campus.

• Standard Room

The room was a little small and the side of the bed was pushed right up against the wall. The bottom of the room door has a huge gap which allows hall light to enter. Fortunately, one of the provided decorator-style pillows was the exact length to cover this gap. The small refrigerator was off and there was no bottled water available in the room.

Great location and the room was quiet despite being located on a busy street. The window curtains offered black-out type closure. The bed and pillows were comfortable and the temperature was easily adjusted.

• Executive King Room

Staff were not friendly nor helpful. Upon check in our rooms weren't ready; we were told they'd text us when they were, we never received a text. Another group waited 45 minutes in the lobby for their text, when they finally went to check on how much longer it'd be, they were told their rooms had been ready - they never received their text.

You really can't beat the location!

• Standard Room

Did not receive a requested wake-up call, slow elevators, and black-out curtains did not fully cover windows.

For the price, hard to beat. Room was newly renovated, clean, quiet, comfortable, and felt like home.

Wifi didnt work properly, breafast price 22usd seems high

Historic building, room was small but enough, price/value performance excellent, coffee maker in room, location perfect

• Standard Room

The bathroom with shower was a bit old.

Located at the Magnificient Mile and at walking distance from a Walgreens and the John Hancock tower, the location of this hotel is great. The hotel is a bit outdated, but it has its charms and the rooms are also nice and clean. The bed was perfect (as well as my sleep :-) ). The desk was a bit small, but the chairs were comfortable. The minibar had good choice. They were just renovating the elevators to make them faster. The fitness was great, especially the stationary race bike was a plus and different compared to other hotel fitnesses. I didn't have breakfast in the hotel, so I can comment on that. Staff was friendly, but as my stay and contact with them was very brief, it's also here difficult to comment. All in all, I enjoyed my stay.

• Standard Room

With the toiletries, it lack toothbrush n toothpaste. There is as well as slight prob of drainage in the tub.When you take a shower, water got stuck for a few minutes

The location is great. Staffs are approachable and pleasant. Room isnt big but its fine for couple. Breakfast buffet is worth its money.

• Standard Room

Arrived early morning and staff insisted we couldn’t get room until 3:30 pm. I realize rooms are not always ready but usually reception will take your name and maybe even your number and notify when a room is available. Or they will estimate when a room may be available and have you call to confirm. Our receptionist made us feel guilty that we arrived so early.

Small but classy room.

• Standard Room

We really enjoyed our stay! We were upgraded for free and the staff was wonderful! Location was great, close to everything and walking distance to main attractions. 10/10 would recommend staying at this wonderful hotel!

• Standard Room

Staff more interested in personal conversation amongst themselves than serving the clients. Bathroom small and cramped with backed up water during shower. Requested room service which never arrived. Internet not working on workout machines; staff disinterested.

• Standard Room

Needs another updating...looking worn on my floor. Check in took over two hours due to alleged over staying guests (7 to past 9 PM). Seems a bit of a stretch given my check in time. There were at least a half dozen guests also waiting besides the crew of a Lufthansa jumbo jet. Not mentioned in the write up from Booking.com...the hotel precharged $60 per night above the stated rate for incidentals.

• Standard Room

Elevators are small and there was usually a slight wait to get one, even though there were many... but it wasn’t too big a deal for our stay. If you had a tight timeframe with your plans, it might be an issue.

Location was great, parking was easy (valet) and was upgraded to a suite on check in.

• Standard Room

The windows and walls needed more insulation as the cold air kept seeping through and it was quite noisy even at night. I had to wear ear plugs to sleep.

The location was terrific, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I never had to wait, and overall I think this is an excellent hotel with aging facilities. It appears to be going through a renovation, but even with be aging facilities I would stay here again.

• Standard Room

Cleanliness of the room could be improved. Mini bar was full of dust as well as to the side of the table

The room had all the necessary amenities for comfortable stay. All staff at the front desk were amazing!

• Executive King Room

They placed us in a small room with a queen bed when we paid and booked a king room. The bed butted up against the wall and there was maybe a foot of space to get around the bed to get to the bathroom. The bathroom door didn’t stay open, the shower was almost too small for even one person. The carpets were very dirty. Location does not make up for the gross conditions of the room. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone looking for comfort.

The staff were accommodating when we were first put into a queen room when we had booked and paid for a king. Although it should have never been a problem since they put us in the wrong room, the staff were quick to put us in a better room.

• Standard Room

No room service (which I didn't know ahead of time). Had been told there was coffee and breakfast in the morning (free), which wasn't true. :(

• Executive King Room

For some reason every time you shower, the water leaks through the bathroom floor behind the toilet and runs through the bathroom entryway, fall risk, even after the shower curtains are secured in place (Room 413). Our solution was to just place the towel mat behind the toilet floor to just soak up the water every time.

Love the location and the modern classic ambiance vibe of the decor. Love the valet staff, especially Sam, very kind and always helpful, happy and smiling. We didn’t have an opportunity to interact with other staff members other than upon check in and check out. At both times, the reception staff were cordial, not warm and cozy as I would have liked.

• Standard Room

They charge $60 for parking at the hotel. When I checked out, the front desk staff said there were cheaper parking areas which valet should of recommended.

• Standard Room

The location was absolutely worth it. The room was clean, we had an amazing view of the city. The bed was comfortable and hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

• Standard Room

The room was tiny but I knew from the pictures that it could be the case. The heat-AC system is pretty loud and can not be turned off. It blows air all the time. In consequence air was very dry in the room.

I did not use any other accommodation than my room. It was clean, bathroom was small but ok.

• Standard Room

This was probably one of the worst customer service experiences that I ever had at a hotel. One of the GSA'S sent us to the parking garage to get our car knowing that we needed a receipt from the hotel (which our card was already charged by hotel, by the night agents). We repeatedly asked for a receipt and the agent stated we need to pay the parking attendant. Once we got to the parking attendant he stated that all parking transactions need to be paid through the hotel with receipt. We had to walk all the way back to the lobby and found the agent laughing at us. After we told him that this wasn't funny. He then gave us the original receipt that we asked for and we finally got our car. This incident alone does not make me feel welcome to come back.

The hotel was really nice and the location was perfect next to shopping and restaurants.

The only thing I was a bit perplexed by was the lack, in the rooms and the lobby, of any informational literature regarding the hotel facilities and local restaurants/attractions. I was informed by a staff member that the Allerton just didn't offer this.

Great location, clean and comfortable.

• Standard Room

Breakfast is very expensive. It would have been nice to eat there everyday but at $28 per head this is very steep when there are lovely eateries around the corner who offer the same things but for a lot less

Perfect location. Staff all very friendly a d hotel extremely clean.