Reviews of Hotel Astor South Beach 4 stars

956 Washington Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139, USA

#110 of 390 hotels in Miami Beach

I took the $2.

I took the $2.25,150 bus from the Miami airport to 9th and Washington Avenue, walked one block to t0th street and was at The Hotel Astor. I don't understand the extra fee, but they accommodated me at my 11 am arrival. The room was spacious and clean with a little refrigerator and bathroom has a large tub. The hotel has a small pool and a bar and seating area in front of the hotel. The Hotel Astor is conveniently located 2 blocks from South Beach beach. the free south beach shuttles A, B & C stops at the corner. the best diner is on 11th and Washington. Walk up Washington to 16th street and your on The South beach shopping spree of Lincoln Lane, Marshall's and Macy's on 17th street. The Hotel Astor is in walking distance to everything, Enjoy!

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Location was excellent, two short hops over Collins Avenue...

Key cards to the rooms were always not working so had to get them redone. Ant problem in room 306.

Location was excellent, two short hops over Collins Avenue and Ocean Drive to the beach.Loads of restaurants within walking distance. Very comfortable bed. Breakfast was acceptable, coffee, juices and a selection of pastries. Free beach towels were handy.

Good location, very disorganized.
    • Classic King Room

The staff was not friendly. The hallway smell like cigarette ALL the time. Woke up early to get breakfast, wich was included, but found out that in the week I was staying did not have breakfast, but no one told us. It was very confused, and disorganized. Didn't feel safe enough.

The only positive thing was the location and the room.

Great location. Good rooms with very comfy beds. Poorly managed.

Unfortunately this hotel was let down by the poor reception. We were told there was a continental breakfast served from 8.30 to 10.30. This turned out to be just coffee only. The receptionist was very unhelpful saying there was no deliveries this week! There was very little information given at check-in and not one of the receptionists looked up from the desk when guests entered the lobby. Checkout was also difficult as had to wait for the receptionist to arrive. All very stressful when you have a plane to catch. We were also expecting a mini bar in the room but this was just a fridge.

We had a lovely room and the bed was really comfortable. Nice quiet room but very close to South Beach and all the local amenities.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Nice.

My friend is handicapped. I went to the front desk to ask about wheelchair access. The key to the front gate couldn't be located. A key to a second gate was found after 15 minutes and we entered. A couple of people had to move from their pool chairs so we could get in the door. We know the bldg. is in an historic district but a ramp to the front door would be nice. If she were alone the front desk would not have known she was outside.

Good beds. Handicap accessible bathroom was big.

Loved the location and the updated room was nice.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast was included, but when we arrived there was none left. Get in early! Also there is a two for one drink offer which is great, but bar not open on our first night....

Loved the location and the updated room was nice.

Place full of prostitutes, worst staff
    • King Deluxe

Rooms was dirty. Lights didn’t work. Door cards didn’t work. There were prostitutes , lots of them and clients 2 room away from mine, shouting, screaming with loud music. Had to check out early in the morning. There was nobody at the front desk. After 90 minutes calling, searching at the hotel I was the guy from the front desk sleeping at the bar. I had to wake him up. I lost the flight cause of them.

Had a blast!
    • Classic King Room

The bathroom door stuck shut. Hotel staff and maintenance was right on it and came to fix immediately! Thank you

Had a blast! The Astor Hotel was wonderful!

Great value and location for seeing the sights in Miami. Tour buses stop right across the street!
    • King Deluxe

I would have liked a little restaurant in the hotel for breakfast. We went to the hotel next door for our breakfast as it was a nice outdoor patio.

Loved the size of the room! and the location was perfect. Close to Ocean Drive, and lots of convenience stores for supplies.

Fine for what we were doing. But for $650 I just expect a little more.
    • Family Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

Hotel needs work, it’s run down. Better breakfast choices (everyone doesn’t want frozen out the box chocolate croissants, that aren’t really croissants), happier staff (only th girl who checked us in was pleasant), spray your rooms (there was baby roaches in the bathroom).

The beds, close to the beach.

loved my birthday i will be back
    • Deluxe Suite

did not like the fact that there was no restaurant event though the hotel has one . the staff is amazing natousha and laura is the best

love the staff and location

Perfect stay in south beach!
    • King Deluxe

Perfect stay in south beach! Rooms were extremely spacious with great design and furniture. Very clean and well equipped with everything needed. Bed super comfortable. The reception girls were very helpful and communicative, helped us with everything needed. Only bad thing for us is we had not more days available to spend there :)

Super quiet hotel.
    • King Deluxe

When I booked it charged me for 1 night. I paid the total due before arriving at the hotel. When I got to the hotel they said I needed to pay fees. I would prefer to pay everything at once.

Super quiet hotel. Close to everything without being in the middle of the excitement. If I could I would bring the bed back home.

It’s was very nice n clean
    • King Deluxe

It was so aggravating could not smoke inside my room

It’s very nice 😍but I just did not like that I had to keep going in & out the room to smoke That was so aggravating 😐

My husband loved it and we will definitely be back again!
    • Classic King Room

Despite it being a great location - it did not offer a great happy hour special like most of the hotels in the area. They did offer a "buy one, get one free" deal but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Great location! I visited this for the Memorial Day weekend and it was the perfect location. Great service both staff and housekeeping. Plenty places to walk to for food, liquor, shopping, of course! Less than 3 minutes away from the strip. I would definitely recommend if you are not about that night life after a certain and want some sleep :-)

For a single night stay the $20 resort fee excessive and that is added on after you choose to book

Didn’t like that the staff member I reported the broken hot water tap to did nothing except say oh ok.

The hot tap in the shower was broken so could not use any hot water so no shower nor bath my 6yo child. There was no plug in the hand basin either. Upon advising the staff member at reception, his reply was oh ok. Didn’t seem very surprised to hear that. Property and room lovely Art Deco we were only there 1 night so the $20 “resort fee” a bit excessive and unnecessary for a single night stay.

It was cool.
    • King Deluxe

Everything was cool, except for the surprise $300 security deposit they took without warning. You might want to email or call a guest prior to the stay to let them know you'll be cutting into their play money when they get there. I flew here from DC so I can't really say, "Well f*ck this, let's find another place!" So I had a much tighter budget for my 4 day stay than I would have liked. Sucked.

Nice bathroom. Nice terrace area. Clean room. Room service on top of things. Wifi good. Location good.

Great location, even better staff!
    • King Deluxe

Hotel was in a awesome location. Room was clean, and bed was comfy. Great Value But by far, Karen, was the best part of our stay here. She was so accomadating and personable. She recommended wonderful places in the city to check out, and we always would finish our stay visiting Karen. Drinks and pool were great. Will definetly be coming back!

Great Hotel with a beautiful 60s decoration
    • Family Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The receptionist could be more friendly and nice. The windows of my room

The hotel is well located in Miami Beach, walking distant of the main touristic spots. The Design District and Wynwood are just 15min by car, the landscape you have crossing the bridge is awesome.

The location is good , our room was big I don’t know about...
    • King Deluxe

Noisy noisy noisy , I couldn’t sleep at night, the walls are papers thin, the next room people were fighting every night starting from 2am to 4:30am, we couldn’t sleep or complain, no coffee or water in the room , only 2 towels , it’s one of my worst experience.

The location is good , our room was big I don’t know about other rooms sizes , the speed of the WiFi was good.

The bed was SO comfortable.
    • King Deluxe

They were cleaning the swimming pool area right at breakfast time, and when I went to drink my coffee outside I couldn't sit anywhere because all the chairs were wet. It's pricey for what it is, but I guess it's what you pay for a perfect location! (The toilet is weirdly low)

The bed was SO comfortable. The room was big, clean and very nicely furnished, the bathroom was spotless and with a really good shower. Two big windows with an amazing view of the city. And there was a cute radio in the bedroom that I will buy for sure :)

Good value for money in Art Deco hotel
    • King Deluxe

The bar wasn’t open one evening when I was keen for a drink, I would think that the bar would be open every evening. Not too much of an issue though.

My room was beautifully decorated and was really large. The bed was also super comfy. The hotel is also in a great location, close to the beach but away from the noise.

On par, everything was acceptable except the door issue
    • King Deluxe

The space between the room door & the floor was really disturbing. You could hear everything going on outside(even light footsteps) and the people outdoor can probably hear you too. The space is wide enough to stick your hand inside the room... :( You might want to make love in total silence, otherwise the outsiders will hear your *-_-*. The Wifi kept working & not working, so I just ended up buying a prepaid SIMcard. There was a slight rip in the bed sheet that mildly disturbed me. The shower hose is on the wall and not movable. The Room Lady kept placing the toilet tissue in a tightly congested organization which made it hard to pull out the tissue. The hotel used physical keys instead of electronic ones, but it was okay for me.

The bed was Okay. Sheets were clean. The bathroom was clean. The furniture was nicely placed and didn't seem too old. The room temperature was good. There was a swimming pool right outside although I never really used it. It was surprisingly quiet after midnight so I didn't really have sleep issues.

The manager very proffessinele and very helpful, élégante,...
    • King Deluxe

The manager very proffessinele and very helpful, élégante, che meik are staying very happy . And i don’t need to forget to thanks booking staff for helping us from the first day or are staying

OK but tired out hotel. Room was big and clean, but not well kept. Furnishings were old.
    • King Deluxe

$57 Extra Fee PER NIGHT for "Resort Fees" but you do not get anything extra at all for that mandatory charge. Stains on the carpet. Fridge was broken. Some lights didn't work. NO flexibility on reservation changes. HUGE cancellation fee.

Some staff were nice, but seemed to be unable to do anything without the bosses approval. Some staff were literally sleeping.

Don't go to this hotel
    • King Deluxe

In our first night at the hotel there was a leak from the ceiling. There was no room to move us because the hotel was full because of the Spring Break so they threw us out at 12:30 AM from the hotel. I do not recommend going to the hotel at all. The workers provide terrible service and the management have not even apologized to us.

The hotel is comfortable and near public bus transportation to the airport and downtown town Miami.

When we booked the hotel, our confirmation indicated that the Resort Fee includes a welcome mini-bar snacks and drinks, a welcome cocktail from the Astor Bar and a continental breakfast buffet. We were not offered and did not receive any of these benefits.

Room was large. Bed was very comfortable.

Art Deco nature of hotel
    • Classic King Room

Young men, not guests at hotel, congregating in front courtyard, sometimes smoking marijuana Lobby was a mess; broken piece of reception desk, boxes piled up behind reception Room lacked a closet or dresser, instead substituting a open metal rack One day there was no bathmat or facecloth, and we had to ask twice for them to be delivered

Art Deco nature of hotel Quiet location, two blocks from Ocean Ave

Horrible stay
    • King Deluxe

Do not stay here the ac don’t work room was 80 degrees all night with the fan on they refused to issue any credit for the ac not working and valet was $50.00 cash only

Reasonable price for the South Beach
    • King Deluxe

There was absolutely no possibility to have even a coffee, not to even speak about breakfast. No big deal, as there were bars nearby, but this needs nevertheless to be mentioned. Valet parking takes forever - however, we have been warned about this at check in, so it was not a surprise. This said, if I had to go there again I would rather park myself at one of the garages nearby and pay less.

To be honest, we found the establishment in better condition that we feared from the description and the comments. The fine print stated that there was no elevator, and the comments were not good. However, the price was very attractive for the type of structure and the excellent location in the center of South Beach. So we decided to try and are not regretting having done it. The room was in reality a small suite, which was an added plus. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Nothing really to particularly like about this property or...
    • King Deluxe

Disinterested staff at check-in. Room facilities poor and dated. Bath supplies limited. Noisy room next to elevator. Way overpriced for what you get. No help with luggage in or out. By no means a 4 star hotel.

Nothing really to particularly like about this property or stay.

A very average hotel with old Art Deco charm that needs a facelift and
    • Classic King Room

I have been traveling to Miami for years and this property is clean but dated and my Room had dated bathroom and is just a place to go to sleep. Do not expect any other amenities to enhance your experience

Manager offered a free night once improvements at property are made

lets do this again!!!
    • King Deluxe

Offer breakfast....minor; but shows much appreciation for guest experience and build on going all around relationship.

I wish they did offer a complimentary breakfast in the morning; like several locations over on Ocean Dr. The location was amazing!! The staff was phenomenal and fun!! The room was huge!! The pool is extra cute. Also, has great areas to chill and just relax. I will definitely return.

FALSE ADVERTISING- STAY AWAY!
    • King Deluxe

I should have known things were off when I first got to the hotel and the front desk attendant told me he might not have a room for me (even though I had booked a room on Booking.com an hour before and given my credit card info.) He was totally unapologetic about this. After about five minutes of silence he said he actually did have a room- and he assigned me 311. There was no welcome drink as promised-- just a couple of 2-for-1 drink coupons. When we tried to use them at the bar and get a drink, there was no bartender in sight! We couldn't find the room for a little bit until we realized 311 was tucked away in a creepy and run-down hallway, and my boyfriend commented they gave us the broom closet. The "King Deluxe" room looked nothing like the pictures. It desperately needed renovation and was carpeted (not 'parquet' floors). The curtain rod was broken, the chairs (no couch in sight!) were plastic, and the mini bar was a tiny fridge with a couple cokes and Dasani water bottles. Not classy at all. The 'landmark view' was actually a view of the parking lot across the street. There were stains on the bedskirt and the bathroom was deeply in need of a good cleaning/renovation. The water pressure was not good at all. When I told the concierge the room had been misrepresented, he said blankly, "Our website hasn't been updated in a couple years...also, I know our website says we have continental breakfast, but actually our restaurant is closed." Great. So there is no restaurant, and I'm paying a 19 dollar "resort" fee for WHAT? This is not a resort by any stretch. There is a tiny empty and unattended pool and abandoned bar next to a busy street. You don't get beach chairs or umbrellas at nearby South Beach. This fee is a straight RIP OFF. I've never felt compelled to write a review before, but I was deeply disappointed with Booking.com and their customer service.

The bed was okay

Lovely staff, great location, but the welcome cocktail and free breakfast is a hoax/lie.
    • King Deluxe

Inaccurate description! We chose this hotel above the other options and paid extra because it was the only one with a free breakfast. If they aren't going to offer the welcome cocktail or the free breakfast, they need to be honest and stop advertising it. Their website mentions the breakfast multiple times...it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask them to update their own website.

The staff was lovely!!!!!!

• Classic King Room

When we booked, breakfast was included in our reservation by paying the resort fees. When we reached the hotel, we've been told there was no breakfast service available. If I knew I wouldn't have booked this hotel because it was a service we were looking for. Also the plugs were not in good state, so it was complicated to charge our appliances. Small room. Very noisy. People were smoking weed in the hotel. Hotel Staff (except maids) was not friendly.

Great location. Rooms very clean.

Amazing
    • King Deluxe

The pool was a little smaller than expected but none the less it was relaxing and we did find a roach in our room but the hotel was so great we didn’t even care lol the valet sucked but doesn’t take away from the hotel itself

I loveed the spacious rooms and the mini sectional in the room was perfect and free small mini bar. The staff was so awesome we had the pleasure of being helped by a lady at the front desk I think her name was tousha I meant to write it down but she was so helpful and courteous

Excellent stay
    • Classic King Room

The woman at the front desk with braids was so incredibly nice and friendly and helpful. I wish I remembered her name but I don’t. We had mistakingly reserved a one bedroom instead of the one bedroom suite and the front desk lady upgraded us last minute and helped with the fees. She even came outside with us to help us look for parking which I’ve never seen a hotel staff member do. Props to her and Hotel Astor!!! 😁😍🙌🏻

Overpriced, average to slightly below average property. Not likely to repeat.
    • King Deluxe

Cleanliness could have been better. Carpet/furniture stains . Housekeeping was spotty and incomplete. short towels, soap, etc. Mini bar fridge was not replenished automatically. All were remedied on request but should not have had to ask. No beach chairs on loan, no bicycles, bar was not operating during our stay, no amenities on site other than a pool with no lounge chairs only straight chairs

Very comfortable bed. Pool was small but nice. Lobby was nice Art deco. Check-in and check out was quick and painless. Room was large. Bathroom was decent size. Short walks to beach and restaurants

Room was truly amazing. Spacious, clean and the bed was perfect. Location was perfect too. A+
    • King Deluxe

Staff seemed a bit aloof. But we checked in late and out early so it didn't hinder our stay one bit.

Room was truly amazing. Spacious, clean and the bed was perfect. Location was perfect. And we liked it very much.

quite a nice stay.
    • Classic King Room

Forgot to freshen some of the towels and no iron or ironing board in the room. Otherwise the front desk staff were absolutely wonderful Laura especially!

restaurant not open - between management.

Could not have been better. Loved every minute. Plan to go back.
    • Classic King Room

Have a great bar and bar tender, but unfortunately not many people used it. Could do a better job of promoting

The staff was excellent. Location could not have been better, two blocks from Ocean drive. Near all the excitement yet far away enough from the noise to have a good night sleep.

Big, quiet room.
    • King Deluxe

Minibar should be refilled everyday, as you pay resort fee daily, and minibar is included in it.

Big, quiet room. Free drinks in minibar, good coffe machine at lobby.

The staff is great, the hotel is good, the location is perfect but the basic room are small
    • Classic King Room

The room for my first night was really small and in front of a parking, I had to complain the second day and they change it, but the basic room are small for the price.

They upgrade my room the second day when I complain, I was really happy with the second room (a small suite).

A good location, friendly staff and some nice complimentary refreshments.
    • Classic King Room

I had a great stay at Hotel Astor. The room was quiet and bed comfortable. It was really good to have the complimentary refreshments and the wifi was excellent. The location on South Beach was good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

A discovery at South Beach

Breakfast is not included, even when appearing in Booking as it is. Actually, Hotel management told us that they are not serving breakfast for months and Booking know about it. So is Booking who is not giving the proper information. Tub is a little bit old, it is clean, but a slightly renovation will make things better. Valet parking takes long time to bring your car back. Could be bad luck or regular service but I had to wait one hour for mine...leaving behind that cost 35 USD!

Nice place, incredible location, clean, good complementary coffee at lobby and friendly atmosphere. Ven with the things to improve, will be my choice for next time at South Beach.

Comfortable and clean.
    • King Deluxe

No breakfast because “the restaurant is currently renovating” (no sign of that, it seemed to be closed, not renovating) even though I booked the room with breakfast included. They should notify the guests beforehand - I would have chosen another hotel, even more because it was an expensive rate, considering that apparently the hotel has seen better days. I value the charm of a decadent Art Deco building and hope for the hotel to have a bright future if renovations are trully planed.

Comfy king size bed, quiet environment, got late check out privileges (because of the genius Booking.com status) . Clean room.

Run down, no free breakfast, NOT a 4-star
    • King Deluxe

My husband and I were deeply disappointed. We weren't looking for anything fancy in South Beach, just a nice boutique hotel like the pictures and reviews suggested, and where breakfast was included. When we checked in there was a sign on the front desk saying breakfast was not included due to the "busy season", and when I explained our booking included breakfast we were told that the new management decided to stop offering it. The room was not at all like the photos, it was a dump. The lock on the door was so loose someone could have easily broken in. I don't recommend staying here.

Great location, helpful staff, rooms were clean and was...

Nothing. Meet all my expectations for a So Beach Hotel

Great location, helpful staff, rooms were clean and was ready in time. Would definitely stay there again

This property is in a great location with cool architectural features
    • Classic King Room

I don’t lthink this question about what i didn’t like about any property should be on this survey or worded this way. Encouraging people to think of a complaint to fill this box on a survey is wrong. If I think about this long enough, I’m sure I will find something to whine about. But since I enjoyed staying there, I don’t want to taint my positive experience or others whom may read this

I enjoyed my experience and the location

I really enjoyed this hotel. Great service and great room.
    • King Deluxe

Was only given one key for our room.

I love the size of my room. I was surprised how big the room was for a south beach hotel. The lobby was very nice as well. The hotel location was great. The complimentary snacks in the room was a nice touch.

Disappointed that beach access and chairs not provided as this was the prime reason for booking this
    • Classic King Room

The resort fee was supposed to include: welcome drinks in Astor Social Club, exclusive beach access with private chairs and towels. The fee was charged but listed items were not provided. We were offered towels. Also,hotel bar was not open during the late afternoon.

Nice spacious room. Clean facility. Room ready when we checked in early.

Great location and clean, not exactly what I was expecting, but I was not disappointed.
    • Classic King Room

The lock on our door broke, at first the receptionist said it was a three hour wait for help. Mind you, this was at noon on Saturday (which was the nicest day we were there) so we would miss out on beach time! However, after a few more words we got moved rooms. Also! They say on their website that the mini bar is free, it is not, also no continental breakfast! It seemed as if the property was under new management, or failing with how things were handled and the shape of the property. I would definitively stay again, but I wish I would have known no breakfast, and that my water from the mini bar was $5.25.......

The beds were extremely comfy and clean! The pool was small, but perfect to just sit around! In a group of all 21-25 year old, we enjoyed relaxing by the pool having a few drinks over the clubs! There's a Starbucks coffee machine in the Lobby! I loved that part! The bartender in the lobby bar was the highlight of the place! She held good conversation, gave awesome recommendations, and is a great relief compared to other servers in Miami!

Had a wonderful time
    • King Deluxe

The rooms were not cleaned properly, mainly only towels were changed. The hotel needs a renovation especially the bathrooms...

Very nice garden and pool area. Central location.

Fun and comfortable

I wish pool was bigger lol but I was 2 blocks from beach

They were very nice and friendly. Love the Starbucks free coffee machine at the lobby ;) My room was always clean and big They were nice to check me in early

The room is spacious and pretty.

No breakfast. No free parking. There are not much facilities that I could use, but the resort fee is necessary. It might be better to put a microwave in the room.

The room is spacious and pretty. If you always go to the beach, it is a good place to stay.

One night, simple, on point. Would suggest.
    • Classic King Room

Halls and elevator a horrible. Kind of scary to put in words. Could have a little music just to lighten the tétric mood.

Free coffee in the lobby, old school 40s looking, could not here anything from the room, which was good. Room was spacious, bed was comfy, mini fridge... I would not get your expectations up, but for me it was on point.

Disappointing experience
    • King Deluxe

We arrived late evening, tired, after a long flight from the UK, to be informed that there would be no breakfast ,one of the reasons we chose this hotel. We were told the breakfast was complimentary,so tough, and that there was a diner nearby. We were not advised that there was a coffee machine in the foyer. The lack of breakfast incurred an additional $100 that we had not budgeted for. My booking clearly states breakfast is included in the room rate. I feel we should have been given a voucher or compensated for the lack of breakfast. The lift was still broken, and we were asked if we would need help with the cases. We are in our seventies !!! Fortunately a strong young man carried them up for us as we were on the second floor. We had a busy schedule while we were in Miami before going on a cruise, so it is only now when I am back home and checking the details of my booking, that I feel we were short changed. The room I booked was a King Deluxe with garden view. We did not have a garden view; 2 side windows looked into the building opposite and the blinds could not be opened, making the room dark and dingy. The front window looked onto the street, and a carpark. There was no sofa. I would question that Room 311 was a King Deluxe. The Art Deco lounges shown in the pictures were closed off.

The pool was good, and the location of the hotel for South Beach.

I like the room settings, quite cozy and stylist.
    • Family Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

The toilette was not working very well, we had someone come up to fix it. The elevator was broken as well so we had to carry all of our luggages up to the second floor.

I like the room settings, quite cozy and stylist. Staff was nice as well.

Good value and location
    • King Deluxe

Elevator broken, short window of sunlight around pool because of large building next door

Great location and price. Huge room! Comfortable and stylish.

Huge room and excellent location.
    • King Deluxe

The maintenance of the room was a little iffy. I could not open the door and some of the staff had to go help me. They put me in the handicap-accessible room which wasn't a problem. It turns out that I had to pull and push the door to open. It would also not lock unless you pushed it. The bedside lamp switch was also faulty, so you had to screw in the bulb to turn it on or off. They said they would check but I don't think they remembered.

The room was huge double of what I've seen in other South Beach hotels, and the bed was great. Location was also excellent. Free Starbucks vending machine at the lobby and warm front desk staff.

An architecturally impressive hotel in a great location which disappointed on many other fronts.
    • King Deluxe

There were many issues with this hotel. More specifically: the wi-fi in either of the rooms I was allocated wasn't working, so I had to log into another room's wi-fi which seemed odd; the fact there's carpeting in the rooms (instead of hard flooring which is obviously much better in hot conditions); my air-conditioning broke down in my room so I was eventually moved to another room; the elevator was not working throughout my 7 night stay; there was no complimentary breakfast as promised, but instead a Starbucks coffee machine; the hotel as a whole seemed rather run-down and even dilapidated (eg in terms of broken light fittings, cracked walls, broken taps, a dirty back staircase guests were forced to use due to the problems with the elevator) and sorely in need of an update; there seemed to be no non-US-based channels available on the TV, most notably, BBC World; and, most seriously, the limited response from the management after I accidentally dropped my wallet dropped inside the hotel and returned within a few minutes to find it. The wallet was quickly picked up and turned in by another guest but with just short of $150 missing. The woman who found it claimed saw another woman possibly wearing a uniform (ie probably a staff member) going through it when she found it. Although the manager went through CC footage and apparently also talked to hotel staff, there was no clear and positive gesture towards me from the manager given this credible allegation of the (criminal) responsibility of the hotel's own staff in relation to my property, other than he'd get me a coffee (from the Starbucks machine in the lobby)! I immediately filed a report with the City of Miami Beach Police Department who interviewed me. I wait to hear back from them as to the results of their investigation.

The fantastic location, the Art Deco architecture of the building, most of the staff at reception, and the willingness to change my room after my air-conditioning failed to work.

Barely OK - This place could be amazing with some investment
    • King Deluxe

The lift wasn't working (been out of order since November!), there was no breakfast service despite advertised (seasonal), carpets were dirty in the room, the aircon was leaking rusty water into our bath, didn't get any welcome drink.

The bed was enormous, the staff were helpful, the hotel is visually stunning, good room service, great location.

Best Place in Miami to Stay!
    • King Deluxe

Beautiful, art deco spacious rooms. Love the staff, the bar, location...all outstanding. We will absolutely stay here again when we visit Miami.

Very funky downstairs area.
    • King Deluxe

The breakfast was terrible. I was there about 20 minutes before it finished and nothing was left, no staff in sight, no clean cutlery or plates

Very funky downstairs area.

The hotel was over-priced, no breakfast available although we had paid for it.

We had reserved two rooms and the breakfast was included in the room price. When we checked in we were told that breakfast was not available. Big disappointment. We had to take breakfast in the restaurants nearby, and the price was 10-20 dollars per person. The WC in our room was broken. They tried to fix it several times but it did not work properly. In my opinion, 1. the hotel should not rent a room with a broken WC and 2. the hotel should reduce the price if they can not serve breakfast.

The location is perfect: few minutes walk from ocean dr,...
    • King Deluxe

The elevator was out of order. The breakfast was not available during our stay (high/holiday season): they were renovating the breakfast room.

The location is perfect: few minutes walk from ocean dr, collins ave, lincoln rd.

Won’t be staying there again 😟
    • Classic King Room

The elevator was broken, anyone with mobility issues would of struggled. There was no welcome drink as stated on the information booking, the breakfast was cancelled due to it being the ‘holidays’ but this was booked knowing breakfast was included, the safe in the room didn’t work, asked twice for this to be looked at and know one even came to see what the issue was despite telling the reception staff. Some of what it said on the booking reservation was not the case, be interesting to see my credit card bill.

This place is in disrepair and might close soon.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

This property appears headed for bankruptcy. The elevator and TV did not work, and there appeared little effort going on for repairs. There was no breakfast available because the kitchen was closed because it could not pass state inspection. There wasn't even milk for the free coffee.

The bed was in good condition. The bathroom was nicely remodeled

Not worth the money, can do much better in Miami south beach
    • Family Junior Suite with Two Double Beds

No complimentary breakfast offered as per reservation, lift broken, impossible to open curtains during the day as view on the street, noise in the room from generator. Staff not really friendly neither concerned.

Rooms were quite big and nice designs
    • King Deluxe

They advertised that they would have breakfast, and this was not the case as the restaurant was being renovated and we were not told. The lift has been out of order for a while with no fix in site.

Rooms were quite big and nice designs

An ok hotel I wouldnt stay in again
    • One-Bedroom Suite

No breakfast served although it was advertised, poor access to handicap people, no gym, small pool, elevator was not working, not even a vending machime at the hotel, uotdated room lock (we had to drop the keys on the front desk everytime we had to go out)

Nice art-deco style hotel in South Beach region
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Breakfast could be better Hotel elevator did not work

Nice art deco style hotel, we had a huge room on top floor Quiet, despite steps away from action of South Beach.

Pleasant stay
    • One-Bedroom Suite

They charge us a resort fee wihich turn to be small swimming pool.. no welcome drink as mentioned in the website.. not close from 17th street Where the action is

Very friendly and helpful staff ..

The rooms are large and well equipped.
    • King Deluxe

Many areas of the building seem pretty worn down and the bar/nightclub housed in the same building is closed. The elevator did not work (although the staff was friendly and helped us carry some of our luggage to the third floor), we did not get the welcome drink as promised (though we asked for it) and the "free bike rental" was limited to a single bike for the entire hotel. The breakfast was average, but the last morning we were simply told that the breakfast area was closed for renovation and offered no alternative. We complained about all of this, but got an evasive and slightly arrogant reply...

The rooms are large and well equipped. The building facade and lobby is classic Art Deco.

Browse Hotel Astor South Beach traveller photo gallery