Reviews of The Bristol Hotel 4 stars

1055 First Avenue, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101 , USA

#96 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Comfortable, stylish and great location.
    • Fab Two Doubles Room

When I checked in the staff member was rushing and didn't really explain much about the hotel.

The location is ideal for the Gaslamp district & just a short walk to the coast too. The hotel has recently been renovated to a high standard and the beds are exceptionally comfortable.

Decent hotel, not for the price though. Wouldn't stay again unless it was half the price
    • Primo King Room

There was pee all over the rim of the seat when you lifted up the lid. On top of that they do not tell you they charge $39 a night to park in the parking garage or you can park across the street for $36 a night.

The beds were very comfortable the room cooled down quick and the shower was Giant.

Good location.
    • Fab Two Doubles Room

Valet parking is expensive although admittedly similar prices to nearby hotels. A night light in bathroom would be useful.

Good location. Good size room. Comfortable bed. Well lit bathroom with room for toiletries. Clean. Quiet.

Within walking distance of different things.
    • Fab Two Doubles Room

$$ for parking but that is how it is in the city. I can't imagine paying $39 per night for mulitiple nights when you are already paying to stay at the hotel. There should be a better discount. Across the street it is only $1 less and outside. In my opinion should be a part of the rate to stay at hotel.

Within walking distance of different things.

not too busy.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

needed another chair in the room. Wine in the bar during happy hour- horrible. parking charge- expensive

not too busy. very friendly. room coffee, great

We had a wonderful time and loved the restaurant. would return
    • Fab Two Doubles Room

We ran in the Rock n Roll and the location was great. Very Pet friendly. We were upgraded to king with sleeper and it was perfect. Staff was very friendly

Nice modern hotel in good San Diego city location within walking distance of pier and Gaslight!
    • Fab King Room

I am not a fan of valet parking since it makes it difficult to access anything left in your vehicle. However, I understand its necessity in city locations. However, the valet attendants were all very nice.

Wonderful daytime male receptionist who remembered our names whenever he saw us. Very friendly and helpful. Beautiful modern hotel, clean and comfortable. We could walk to the gaslight District and the pier/marina.

This hotel is great and definitely a great value for the money.

Everything was great

I liked how the room and bathroom were decorated. I liked how nice the TV screen was and how comfortable and nice my hotel stay was.

I would come back but the parking fee needs to be a lil cheaper.
    • Fab King Room

I didnt like that I had to pay for parking for two vehicles, that was an additional $70.00. Parking should be free.

The Hotel isd beautiful inside and out, located in DT, walking distance to everything.

Nice hotel close to restaurants and shopping.
    • Fab King Room

The attached Cleo restaurant offered an expensive breakfast which was not good quality. We loved the COD restaurant just a few doors away.

Nice luxury hotel close to restaurants and shopping.

Comfortable bed.
    • Fab Two Doubles Room

The water was shut off during the last day I was there. It wasn't too big of a problem since I was leaving, but it was a bit of an annoyance.

Comfortable bed. Very helpful staff.

The beds were quite comfortable.

See above

The beds were quite comfortable. Parking attendants were pleasant and helpful. Prices, as in any city, no matter what size hotel or motel are outrages and it is becoming more difficult to sty more than 1 or 2 days.

Great location with wonderful staff
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

would have been great to have a fridge in the room, but this would not stop us from staying here again

Staff were fantastic - really helpful about where to go and what to do in the area

It was horrible.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

I didn't like the fact the people in the room next to us was playing loud music & talking loud. After contacting the front desk about the issue they cut the music off but they were still extremely loud. We didn't get any sleep and we had a 20 hour drive to ahead us!

Great staff, great beds. Best sleep I've had in years!!!!
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

There was construction going on around, but it didn't bother me. The hotel even provided ear plugs, but they weren't even needed. This isn't a dislike, just a comment about what others might not like.

My daughter said, "I thought you said this was a fancy hotel....it's super extra fancy!" Loved it so much tried finding the bolster pillows they have online, because, they greatly helped me sleep better with my neck issues. If they would like to tell me where to get them, I'm game! Thanks!

recent stay
    • Superior King Room

we were not told about water shut off prior to or at check in. Water was turned off from midnight to 4 30 in morning, not fun when you have to go to bathroom or wash hands. Most of staff were very good, couple not interested in this issue. They did not adjust bill other than parking Movably won't stay here again due to this issue and no communication about it prior to checkin

location, close to theater

Served my needs for Business Trip...!
    • Superior King Room

Front Desk staff could have been more accommodating.

Loved proximity to the office location where I needed to attend Bus meetings. Clean/Quite rooms and surrounding proximity.

Good location, nicely renovated rooms and friendly staff.

Walls are a little thin, valet parking is a little pricey.

Great staff, newly renovated rooms are great with an awesome shower. Great bed to relax into.

BEST location you could ask for!
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

I was on the 5th floor where there were constructions going on. Luckily the noise didn't bother me because I woke up early but it would have been very frustrating if I wanted to sleep in.... I noticed that upper floor (like the 9th) was newly renovated and super clean. It would have been nice if they roomed me on the upper floor but oh well! Still satisfied :)

BEST location you could ask for! Close to everything and there's cafes, restaurants, seven eleven right beside the hotel :)

Central location, clean facilities, professional staff...
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Front desk and valet were VERY professional, courteous, and helpful. Property is centrally located; walking distance to performing arts theaters, restaurants, and nightlife. Didn't use the Wi-Fi too much, so I can't comment on it. Hurrah for 50% discount on parking charges when parking a hybrid vehicle. Clean facilities. Fancy yet rustic feel.

Great location, nice staff, and comfortable rooms.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Coffee machine shut off early in the morning. Valet parking was expensive and I thought it was included in the stay.

Friendly front desk, cleaning, and valet staff. Location is excellent. Morning coffee was nice. Comfy beds. Happy hour and nice bartender.

The room was very clean and comfortable. Staff was great. Parking was expensive.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Parking is a problem in the downtown area so I understand why the hotel charges for parking, but at $32 per day (not including tips) for the mandatory valet it is very expensive and seems excessive.

We stayed in one of the king refurbished rooms and it was very nice. The new bed was amazing. Everything was very clean. The staff was friendly, professional, very attentive. All of our needs we're met.

The room was quite big, and the bed was comfortable.
    • Superior King Room

The TV was too small for the room, and we could not use the remote control from our bed. Also, the ipad did not work. And, the fitness centre was rather small.

The room was quite big, and the bed was comfortable. Housekeeping staff was great.

XLNT
    • Superior King Room

Requirement of paying by credit card and security deposits which most hotels have anymore not just the Bristol.

The location is very convenient; located on Broadway & First about 4 blocks from trolley and Amtrak station. Good rates under $100 when booked online but some are non-refundable.

Clean and bright cherry hotel

No room service.

The friendly staff and funky room art. Just across the road from the Spreckels Theater, very convenient if you are seeing a show there. Water station near reception which is very handy (BYO water bottle).

Overpromised and underdelivered
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

The hotel is advertised as 4.5 starts. It's not even as good as a 3 start hotel. Rooms are small, mattresses hard and uncomfortable. The bathroom is tiny, no real shower door just a cheap curtain. The pretty blankets dress up the room so it looks more lavish than it is. It is not lavish at all and I was very disappointed to be this far from Gaslamp for that much money and in a hotel that's not worth it.

Nice looking blankets

• Superior King Room

I would have like the screen size of the TV to be larger.

I was in San Diego to attend a three day conference. I had to make a last minute reservation and the hotel I usually stay in, The Sofia was booked. As a back up plan I decided to stay at The Bristol because of it's convenience to my meeting. The Bristol is now my go to hotel when I attend meetings in downtown SD. I highly recommend this hotel.

Great Hotel the price was affordable for it being a holiday weekend and the dodgers to be in town

Valet was great person who assisted us was very attentive and respectful. The front desk greeted us execellent which made it easy to feel welcome.

Great location for a quick getaway. Happy that there was so much within walking distance.
    • Superior King Room

The location was perfect for us. We were very happy to walk to many attractions and take the trolley to others. We were able to easily get to the gas lamp district, seaport village, little Italy, and petco stadium. The trolley station was just around the corner. We had a 5th floor room and could barely hear the noise outside.

This place comes pretty close to beating a corporate hotel in value.
    • Superior King Room

The beauty is in the details. Your housekeeping needs to come up several notches. This place is not as clean as it was when I came here several years ago. Dirt in corners, scratches in paint on doors. Keep it CLEAN and the perception of value, safety and comfort rises exponentially. The young guy who checked me in challenged me unnecessarily when he could not find my confirmation. When I showed it to him in an email on my phone he made me feel he was doing me a big favor by finding me a room (you were not sold out/Monday night). Your valet parking fee is exorbitant.

comfortable bed!

Excellent choice for San Diego weekend.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Good downtown San Diego location. Easy walking distance from train station, Gaslamp District and Petco Park. Hotel is nicely appointed. Room was clean and well-stocked. Check-in and check-out was simple. I would definitely return.

Took a shower as soon as I got there but there was no hot...
    • Superior King Room

Took a shower as soon as I got there but there was no hot water running. Alerted the front desk and they made sure the problem was fixed. It's not always about the flaws of the business, but the way it gets handled and the staff did an incredible job of making sure everything ran smooth

I would definitely stay there again
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Parking is too pricey and price that's posted is confusing - that's my only negative comment. Wish there was a pool.

The staff were very accommodating! Whether we needed extra towels, blankets, or whatever (refrigerator!) they responded immediately! Room was really nice.

The staff was friendly and the location was good.
    • Superior King Room

It didn't feel like we got our money's worth. I expected more. There was no pool , the valet parking was extra, etc.

The staff was friendly and the location was good.

Fantastic stay, they upgraded us into a refurbished room...

The gym unfortunately was a tad sad, only cardio and minimal light weights - would recommend loading a photo of it so travellers know what to expect :)

Fantastic stay, they upgraded us into a refurbished room which was beautiful. USB ports in the lamps beside the bed, tablet to ensure everything you needed was one touch away, coffee machine with great coffee and huge flat screen TV with HDMI plug (you need to bring your own cord) to play your own entertainment. Staff super helpful and friendly. Such great detail thought of with the new rooms!

great location
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Staff on the desk earlier in the day much more helpful then the guy later in the afternoon. The info in the room suggested the desk would be happy to help he clearly didn't

Perfect location in buzzing Gaslamp District.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Excellent location and the room was really light and fresh. First time in San Diego and we would highly recommend staying here. We walked everywhere from the hotel and the area around at night was really buzzing.

Good location in central downtown
    • Superior King Room

I waited 35 minutes for my car that HAD to be valet parked. There are no other options for parking and it cost enough to where I should not have to wait to get in my vehicle.

Good location in central downtown

The bed and pillows were super comfy!
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

There needed to be more light. During day time it isn't a problem because of the window but it can be a bit dark at night.

The bed and pillows were super comfy!

The room was nicely renovated.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

It's always a bummer when you pay for a hotel and have to pay extra for parking.

The room was nicely renovated. Beds were extremely comfortable. Staff was very friendly.

Terrible Hotel and Staff!!!!!
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Customer service is terrible. They seems annoyed with any question you ask and never greeter you or bothered to hold your door. We had a problem with out ac unit and they transferred us to another unit. We moved everything ourself no help was given and nothing was offered for the inconvince.

Parking fees
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Paying +$30 for parking on top of the +180 for motel. We spent over $200 for one night only because everything was booked. Hotel should provide free parking.

Cleanliness

Hotel was comfortable and worked for my needs.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

The room was noisy at night. Obviously the hotel understood their noise problem and left earplugs by the beds. They helped but were not enough to block out all the noises. In the future I'll get my personal pair that might fit better than the ones left by the hotel. That might be a good idea for my future travel. Had not thought of the need until my stay at The Bristol Hotel.

Loved the bed. Down pillows were neat. Ismael who worked at the reception desk was helpful and welcoming. Great smile. Friendly and helpful staff. My friend and I wanted a downtown location and we chose to use public transportation. The hotel was a perfect location for our purposes. The room was well designed.

Pictures lie
    • Superior King Room

I spent over $500 for 2 nights on a room that was in serious need of remodeling and wasn't that much bigger than a motel 6.

The bed was very comfortable.

Everything was great, except the parking situation.
    • Superior King Room

The parking situation was terrible . $32.00 to park your car at the Hotel. No other choices. Really hate the parking fees.

Everything was great, except the parking situation.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Overwhelmingly surprised!
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

I wish we could have stayed longer!

We were shocked at the incredible professionalism of the staff, the cleanliness of the room, and the "extras" like the bathrobes, a fully functional tablet for entertainment, room service and city info, and the excellent, stylish furniture.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Perfect location great service
    • Superior King Room

I'm never a fan of valet only but that's what you get in San Diego

Older hotel but well kept up and amazing location right in gaslamp. Staff was awesome, and the price was actually pretty great for the area at 105.

i will rather stay in coronado, it much better and beautifull

i didnt like the nigihbourhoud, there area lot of homeless and also didnt like its difficult to get a parrking aorund downtown. hotel parking is usd$32 p / night , its very expensive!

i like that it was very close to a race run i had, itis in down town.

Very nice rooms, hallways, and lobby.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Was a bit of construction happening around our room. Check in was slow due to their systems.

Very nice rooms, hallways, and lobby. Very nice windows with a good view.

Stay at The Bristol - good times!
    • Superior King Room

Missed not having room service but we knew that before arriving.

Great front desk service. We arrived early and were offered a room right away. Very friendly staff and clean, updated rooms. Would definitely stay here again! We had the bar all to ourselves and Josh, the bartender, was great!

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Great location - very good value for money.
    • Superior King Room

Some street noise. Valet parking was a bit pricey.

Great location - very good value for money. Didn't care that there was no on-site restaurant as there were all sorts of places to eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner etc...) very close by.

Walking distance of all San Diego
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Very little amenities. No pool, miniature fitness centre, room was not renovated. Old bathtub. Pricy parking.

Close to everything. Would return just for the location. Confortable bed

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Good performance to stay, bed performance to park
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

The parking fee is 32 dollars. It is too expensive. We parked our car in a street about 10 minutes to hotel. It is free of charge until 8 a.m.

The hotel is within wolking distance of the city central. The room is clean and comfortable.

• Superior Two Doubles Room

Bathroom was a little outdated. The bathtub began to flood after the first use. Needs attention.

Location. Centrally located to everything we wanted to explore.

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

Not bad rather expensive for what you get
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Exorbitant pricing regarding parking. No discount was offered because we were guests. We had to pay the full everyday price No fridge in the room Lots of homeless people hanging around the streets Staff in training had no backup to ask questions and we were often given incorrect information often Onsite facilities didn't accomodate high prices

The hotel was within walking distance to all public transporalso walking distance to fast light quarter

• Reviewed: 21 April 2017

Overall I enjoyed myself.
    • Superior King Room

Pricing.. The rates were cheaper on the website but the front desk attendant did not honor it because he was unable to find the site.

Staff very friendly.Chase customer service was phenomenal... Thank you 😊.

Reasonably nice place with vintage architecture. Good value but a few hidden extras costs.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

A little noisy, and $32 US per night for parking with almost $20 per day in taxes/tourism fees. Add $50 per night to whatever you budget.

Good location, close to everything downtown.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

Bad hotel. Will not be returning there!
    • Superior King Room

Our first room was above the construction and the key did not work. In the second room, the hot water in the shower was almost non existent and the trickle showerhead was ridiculous. To wash my hair, I had to get so close the shower control poked me on the rear end. I rolled to the center of the bed and the thermostat did not work, so we called downstairs. They sent someone to look at and he set the temp to 55 degrees, so we asked for extra blankets which never arrived!

I liked the location, however the city was doing road construction outside the front of the hotel. Most restaurants were within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Quaint, comfortable place, walking distance to Convention Center
    • Superior King Room

Parking charges weren't clear.

Great that they are renovating an old hotel that still has a lot of charm, does not look like every other hotel. And the windows can be opened!

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

Good hotel
    • Superior King Room

Not particularly fond of the location, but it was actually not that bad at all.

The room was amazing, great size. The staff were very helpful and kind.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

A good night's sleep
    • Superior King Room

There was no food facility. You could add a vending area with self serve prepackaged food- sandwiches, beverages, snacks. Also, add a luggage stand in room on which to place a suitcase.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Lobby was cute

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable and...
    • Superior King Room

The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable and the sheets were very good quality. The staff were very friendly however the hotel is fairly "dated" and for lovers of very modern hotels most would consider this a little shabby. We enjoyed our one night stay.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

Room was comfortable and clean.
    • Superior King Room

The location was okay, but wasnt the absolute best because of the courthouse and bailbonds nearby. It was a very easy walk to many of the fun things to do in SD. We did not have a car and walked/uber'd everywhere, was within easy walking distance to the Midway, Petco, Gaslamp, and Seaport Village. Even Balboa Park and the Zoo if you are willing to spend 20 min or so walking.

Room was comfortable and clean. Staff was friendly and courteous, they even gave us a later check out time. Very good overall stay, no complaints. Wifi worked well, we didnt watch a ton of TV, but plenty of good channels.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

Would tell others it's good.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

$32 night parking is ridiculous. No roll away for a double room made for tight quarters for 3 people. View was of a wall. They charged me more for our second night than I had expected to pay.

Location was walking distance to many sites and a trolly line. Hotel was clean. Free wifi.

• Reviewed: 11 December 2016

Beautiful Hotel with hidden expenses
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

No beverage vending machines. In the middle of the night I got a little sick and threw up. I was dehydrated. I wasn't going to pay $6 for one bottle of water or go out alone at night. Also, I wasn't told prior to arrival of the $31 Valet fee. I'm from out of state and on a budget. $31 was my meal fund for the day.

The decor and character of the building. Friendly staff. Very nice staff.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Characterful hotel in downtown San Diego
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Street-view rooms get street noise, changed the room and new room was ok. For the price, breakfast could have been included. Charged for a second time for the same bottle of water, after I checked out.

Very good location near downtown center, Horton Plaza and tram; nice&clean room. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

Great clean, contemporary hotel
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Our only minor complaint was it was a bit noisy. Even tho we were up on the 6th floor and our room was on the east side (away from the street) to the hotels credit they did provide earplugs by the bedside table.

We had just stayed at the Portico hotel and compared to that the Bristol was Deluxe. It was super clean, beds/pillows were very comfortable and the room felt large, modern and bright. Centrally located so we could walk everywhere

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

good location

Aircon was unbelievably cold and would keep switching despite having adjusted it manually on so we woke up in the middle of the night because it was freezing. The toilet was also broken when we arrived, but they fixed it. We booked for three people but they put us up in a room with only one bed. Service was okay, but did not seem to be too bothered. All in all would have expected more for the price.

good location everything was clean

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

Great stay, close to the convention center
    • Superior King Room

There is no onsite restaurant so you had to order in to eat or go out.

The room was very modern. The space was quiet and accommodating for my stay. It was nice walk to the convention center and plenty of food options around the area. The airport shuttle picked up and dropped off. Uber and lyft worked also.

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

Made for a great "pupcation"!

When we were checking out and looking around the room one last time, we found a sock that wasn't ours under the bed. Kind of gross, but the rest of the experience was so great and the room and hotel seemed clean so we are forgiving!

The bed was so comfy, and the tub was HUGE! There are robes which is a bonus, and our room was spacious and nice. You can request anything you need on the tablet located in your room! You can request your car from valet from your bed on he tablet. Having valet is nice-- most hotels in this area make you pay for parking so may as well have a nice valet service! The hotel was very pet friendly, and the room was spacious enough for my little dog (who loves to run around) and my boyfriend's 85 pound lab!

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Great location for Spreckles Theatre.
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

We got a city view room on 6th floor. Could still hear a bum shouting from the street. He was camped in the outdoor seating section of restaurant across the street. Yes, ear plugs in the room should have been a clue for us.

This hotel is located around the corner from Spreckles Theatre and we went to a concert there. We could walk to concert without hassle of driving and parking. We could also walk to Gaslight district and Little Italy from this location. Parking discount for hybrid autos!

• Reviewed: 8 November 2016

EVERYTHING!
    • Superior King Room

Room didn't have a view, and paying for parking is always a bust.

EVERYTHING! I've stayed at a bunch of hotels and this was by far my favorite. Super friendly staff, the tablet in room feature was ON POINT. I could call for valet from the tablet, request front desk to call me for assistance, check out local things to do, surf the internet, etc. Just a few blocks away from everything. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Reviewed: 8 October 2016

Excellent location, very comfy
    • Superior Two Doubles Room

Decoration was a little dated in some places, paint was flaking in the bathroom.

Very comfortable beds, good seating options within the room, lots of cupboard space, nice and secure safe in the wardrobe.

The valet parking and ipads in the room.
    • Superior King Room

To loud at night, barking dogs on my floor and to expensive to park my car at a hotel im already paying for to stay at.

The valet parking and ipads in the room.

Friendly staff.

Friendly staff. Very nice housekeeping when we got back from being out for the day. Our room was huge! So much room & the location was okay but if you're into the night life it was just a few blocks from gas lamp.

Browse The Bristol Hotel traveller photo gallery