Reviews of Cleveland House Inn 3 stars

27 Clarke st., Newport, 02840, USA

#25 of 32 B&Bs and Inns in Newport

• Deluxe Queen Room

The room was not at all acceptable. Not even a closet just a coat rack. Bathroom was old and tired the towel bar was even missing. You couldn’t use the a/c and blow dryer at the same time or risk blowing the circuit. Not even a full length mirror.

The staff was nice

• Deluxe Queen Room

The window ac would not set below 77 degrees . Which was not a really big problem bc it was pretty cool this night. I told staff in the morning before we left.

Friendly staff, off street parking. Close to town . Terrific breakfast.

• Cleveland Queen

I didn't like climbing so many flights of stairs. I did not like the feeling that maybe this secondary house we stayed in may have been just purchased. the closets had junk in them. the upstairs kitchen was not very clean. They installed window air conditioners when we got there(which we used and enjoyed). The door knobs seemed ready to fall off...

The location was excellent. The parking was a bonus. The full breakfast was very nice in the "auxiliary" house they put us in.

• Cleveland King

The room needed lots of renovation. The carpet was disgusting; stained and threadbare and the room needed painting

The bed was very comfortable and the breakfast was good. The location was great.

• Deluxe Queen Room

As expected with an old house, the walls were paper thin. Heard people outside on the street in the middle of the night coming home from bars as if they were in the room with us, and we were on the 2nd floor. They didn't explain the breakfast procedure when we checked in, just asked what time we thought we'd be eating. Went downstairs at the time we mentioned to have breakfast, waited around for a bit until someone came out to say that if we wanted a hot breakfast they'd have to check with their other dining rooms to make sure they had an opening for us. What was the point of telling them what time we wanted to have breakfast if we weren't gonna be able to be seated? The second place thankfully had room for us, but it honestly wasn't really worth waiting around for. Two tiny pancakes (think frozen pancake size) and a few strips of bacon.

The location was perfect for us. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Off street parking, though we had to run inside to ask where it was.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Beautiful Historic building with completely run down features. Stains on bathroom tiles. Drafty windows with plastic covering them on inside. Made noise when win blew. Bathroom tub missing knob to turn in jacuzzi jets. Toilet ran all night and we lost hot water temp while showering. You park off street in one of the tightest lots I have ever been in. We travel in a Subaru hatchback and even that was tough to maneuver in the lot.

Location off a side street one block from Main Street. We parked the car and walked all weekend.

See above.

We thought the furnishings could have been nicer. We are use to four poster beds down south. This room's bed was made on a wood platform and slanted slightly towards the head. They should have few complimentary bottles of water in the room. Awoke in the middle of the night very thirsty. Not only were there no bottles of water, but there weren't even any plastic cups or glasses to get a drink of tap water. Also, we knew we were supposed to get breakfast, but didn't know we had to go to another house across or next door to get the full hot breakfast. The Cleveland only has a cold breakfast. We almost left to out to eat when the man who checked us in saw us sitting there and told us at that point we had to go to the house across or next door to get the full hot breakfast. This should have been told to us at check-in. I am sure he thought he told us at check-in but he didn't. Maybe they should put a sign in the rooms so guests know where to go for the hot breakfast which was excellent. It really wouldn't cost much to put water bottles in the room especially at the rates they charge. Also, they need to gWe thought the furnishings could have been nicer. We are use to four poster beds down south. This rooms bed was made on a wood platform. They should have few complimentary bottles of water in the room. Awoke in the middle of the night very thirsty. Not only were there no bottles of water, but there weren't even any plastic cups or glasses to get a drink of tap water. Also, we knew we were supposed to get breakfast, but didn't know we had to go to another house across or next door to get the full breakfast. The Cleveland only has a cold breakfast. We almost left to out to eat when the man who checked us in saw us sitting there and told us at that point we had to go to another house to get the full hot breakfast. This should have been told to us at check-in. I am sure he thought he told us at check-in but he didn't.

• Cleveland Queen

The facility in general needs a major face lift. Bedroom carpets were dirty. Floors squeaky. No ironing board. Too small of room to get around comfortably.

Breakfasts were very good. Manager was friendly.

• Cleveland Queen

Facilities were tired, poorly maintained, not nearly as clean as I had been used to for a B&B. Shabby but not chic.

Staff were friendly, location great, breakfast very nice.

• Cleveland King

We enjoyed the whole experience. It was our first time staying in BB. So we really cannot say any thing negative we

Breakfast was good but very slow. Good set up

• Deluxe King Room with Spa Bath

Confusing - moved us to a different house - room wasn't cleaned - called and they cleaned it while we went to dinner.

Where their second house was located Breakfast was good

• Cleveland King

lighting did not work in bathroom over vanity AC was noisy No cream cheese at breakfast for the kids and they were not clear about offering eggs or pancakes

Location Friendly staff Clean local flair water, coffee, fruit available all day

• Cleveland Queen

There were slamming doors all morning

The inn keeper showed me 3 rooms and allowed me to choose which one I'd like to stay in! This was great because I told her I was a light sleeper so she gave me a room on the third floor. So accommodating!

• Cleveland Queen

Night innkeeper did wake me up around 930 and I couldn't understand her as I had Ben asleep and was not wearing my hearing aid.. she did get a little frustrated having to repeat herself.. I still don't know what she was asking but I think she wanted to know if my ac was working... lol...

Very laid back.. breakfast at two inns are homemade and delicious i.e. Blueberry pancakes , eggs any way etc...the other inn offer continental consisting of cereal, toast, yogurt, etc.. coffee was delicious! You can walk from inn to inn.. owner was extremely accommodating as I was waiting for my daughter to return from Massachusetts with no car and no where to go..owner graciously said I could do a late check out as late as 3pm!! No one has ever done this.. zack his son was also very helpful..I plan on returning in November! Highly recommend.. keep in mind it is an older home but does not smell musty and is not dirty.. sheets were clean and I loved my room! 303... it's like visiting your childhood home.. inns are on Clarke st.. literally right in the center of the action..

• Cleveland Queen

The room was on the third floor so the sloping ceiling made things tight in places. The facilities were simple but what would you expect of a 400 year old building? The parking was, though free, was limited and very tight.

Staying in an early 1700s building right close to downtown Newport was very neat. It was also convenient to the sights of Newport. The building we were in had a full, cooked to order breakfast with a choice of pancakes, french toast, eggs as you like them, cereal, etc. Not all the buildings on the property had this option though we understood that guests from other buildings could come to this one for breakfast. Off street, free parking. References for restaurants were excellent!

• Deluxe Queen Room

Made to order breakfast option was a pleasant surprise. The cook delightful. The parking is tight in the area but the staff is avail onsite and we're fantastic guides to help find parking. Their pleasant assistance was invaluable.

• Cleveland Queen

They should change the rusty shower rod. Ensure that the toilet flushes properly. Clean the vomit from doorway in a reasonable time. Provide an ice bucket with a cover. Larger TV screen. An elevator, the three story walk up was challenging.

The location to town and the festival.

• Cleveland King

The ONLY suggestion I would make, is placing a rubber bath-mat in the bathroom. Otherwise, I liked everything about Cleveland House

Cleveland House feels like you're visiting family members who've lived in this house for generations. We were comfortable and well looked after by the staff and especially Rick Farrick, who went out of his way to accommodate us.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Main light in bathroom had bulb out. We reported it but they didn't fix it. When we came back to the room from a day at the beach the room had not been serviced.

Location, price, breakfast included

• Cleveland King

Onsite parking is tight but there is excellent and efficient oversight by staff

The.Cleveland House Inn and facility is highly recommended- quiet and very comfortable with a fine breakfast offered including homemade marmalade!! Excellent

• Cleveland Queen

We were never told the jets we broken in the bathtub. And never told there was free breakfast at the other locations on site until the last day when we were going to go to breakfast somewhere else, and the owner said oh sorry I forgot to tell you.

Great location and very cozy!! Breakfast was great! Management and staff we very accommodating.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Everything. Had to walk up to the 3rd floor, small, stuffy bedroom, musty smell. Loud air conditioner and worst of all, had to use a plunger which was easily accessible and obviously used often. Terrible!!!

Nothing, except it was close to restaurants, shopping, the harbor, etc.

• Cleveland Queen

The fact that our rooms were not ready when we arrived. But owner immediately gave us other rooms.

Bed very comfortable. Delicious breakfast. Very good location.

• Cleveland Queen

I understand that its a period style B&B within old an home but we could have used a dresser of some sort or closet in the room.

The Breakfast was fantastic

• Deluxe King Room with Spa Bath

The walls were fairly thin so we could hear the conversations of people in the hallways.

The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The location really cannot be beat.

• Cleveland Queen

The bathroom fan didn't work, so the room heated up after a shower. Opening a window fixed the problem just fine.

We weren't expecting breakfast to be cooked to order in the morning, it was great. The location is perfect, and off-street parking is very convenient.

• Cleveland Queen

The fact that I spent over $200! & was put in a BASEMENT room!! The was NO heating system other than a plug in space heater! Stained carpet, blinds & windowsill were very dirty (like they hadn't been cleaned in years!.. Being that I was put in the basement they were eye level)! The hot water faucet at the sink was jammed & did NOT work. The breakfast??? PLEASE! I had a better breakfast & service at Starbucks!! Will Never go there again & WILL NEVER recommend them to anyone!!

The king size bed & that it was walking distance to everything.

• Cleveland Queen

The only negative thing I'll say that as this is a (albeit beautiful) historic building, it would not be good for people with accessibility issues. We found negotiating the steps up to the front door and up to our room, with our baby's buggy as little difficult.

The hotel is in a great location on close to the waterfront and busy Spring St, Thames St and Broadway, yet quiet. There is plenty of parking. The hotel is charming in its decor and the people working there were really helpful. The breakfast was a nice continental style and you could help yourself to as much as you wanted.

• Cleveland Queen

cheap looking room, uncomfortable bed. My parents stayed in the next door room, which looked much better, however they ran out of hot water while showering. Breakfast was poor quality

Kind staff, great location

• Cleveland Queen

Room was not clean. Window shade was missing. Water pressure in sink low until we fixed it. Heat not working properly. Disappointed. No ammenities. Breakfast was poor at best.

• Reviewed: 28 December 2016

• Cleveland Queen

The place was in run down condition. Doors off hinges, ripped blinds, and stray hairs in the room...all left a very negative impression. The bed didn't even have a headboard. That was a first.

The location was great nd a few blocks from bars and shops. Also, they offered choices for breakfast...basic egg and pancakes

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

• Cleveland Queen

I would have liked a bit more security as a solo woman traveling since the front desk was off to the side and it felt a bit detached. The hallways could use some updating but overall the feel was that of an old historical Inn.

The staff was super friendly and helpful. The homemade breakfadt was delicious and the location was perfect. The room was decorated so thoughtfully with welcoming touches.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Cleveland Queen

The room didn't feel as private as we would have liked. Heard baby crying upstairs for much of the night. No information was provided about breakfast even though it was supposed to be included. There was also no wifi. It should be noted that the owner did call to make sure we were all set - we didn't mind these minor inconveniences much, but it just seemed a little disorganized.

The location was very good. We were moved from what was described as not so great of a room (never actually saw it) in the main building, to a larger room further away from downtown.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Cleveland Queen

The room was small, cramped and dirty. There were holes in the sheets, tears in the shades, and the curtains looked like they hadn't been washed in years. There were cob webs in the bathroom, one with a dead spider in it. There was minimal parking, and the staff didn't find it necessary to explain where we could find additional parking until we drove around in circles around the neighborhood waiting for a spot to open up. The TV didn't work, and when we inquired about it the staff was pretty much unhelpful. The shower was incredibly lame. I have short hair, and I couldn't rinse the shampoo out of my hair or sufficiently rinse the soap off my body. And, the shower wouldn't shut off all the way so it sounded like it was raining in the bathroom. Not all the electrical outlets worked, and unless you were standing directly in front of the air conditioner the room never felt cool enough. Although they did offer us a different room across the street at another Inn, it was after 10p.m., and my daughter was asleep, so we opted to wait until the morning rather than wake her and pack up everything to move. When I spoke to the manager he insisted that the TV did work (it didn't! See the attached pictures of the scrambled picture, and the error message saying that there was no signal for the channels requested). Even the night staff said it was not normal. He only offered lame excuses about the TV, and said he could fix the shower. He insisted that the outlets were operated by the switch, however the switch was ON and half the outlets were non functional. I asked for some type of monetary compensation for the discomfort of our stay, but he refused. We did take another room the next morning as he refused to comp us or give us a discount so we could go elsewhere. He agreed to not charge us the upgrade fee, a whole $20. WOW that was so generous of him. That room was minimally better, but still not worth the money.

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

• Deluxe Queen Room

Rooms on Nantucket are always on smaller side.

We actually never met the staff which was totally fine. We got in late so they left a key with a note in the living room telling us where our room was. It was comfortable and clean. The breakfast looked and smelled good, though we ended up going out to eat so didn't get to try it. Overall a good stay!

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Although breakfast was good, service was slow. More options for breakfast would be great, such as muffins and yogurt. The green carpet in our room really needs to be replaced. Also the floor should be re paired, it's slanted down.

Employees were all very kind, friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Parking although free could be time consuming if immediate spot(s) are not available.

Location was in walking distance to most places in Newport, unless you wanted to be near the mansions or cliff walk.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Strange breakfast setup...we were told one time in one place, but the info was wrong...had to try 3 different places to get right. A family member who was I'll was unable to cancel a week ahead of time without losing her entire room charge...very inflexible!!!

Short walk to the wharfs.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Breakfast was amazing! Made to order, with a smile! Delicious food in a cozy homestyle setting. Our host was both hospitable and informative as to the available sites to explore in town. We will definitely return in the future!

• Reviewed: 7 July 2016

• Cleveland Queen

I wish I had found this place long ago.

My husband and I enjoyed the very comfortable Bed, linens, pillows, decor ,staff. The breakfast was great. Joe had the veggie omlette, I had a over light egg and sausage And raisin toast. Love this place!! Great value. A little gem. We'll go back.

• Reviewed: 30 June 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Room too small - could not even fit my suitcase in the room without stumbling over my luggage - since we were on the second floor at the stairs it was very noisy and we did I not sleep well

breakfast was good

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Cleveland Queen

The staff were not too friendly, they spoke to guests as if we were young children being scolded, there were no clear instructions about breakfast, where it would be or at what times, there was very little room at the breakfast room so not everyone fit, the person in charge seemed to be yelling at his kitchen/breakfast staff within an ear shot of guests. Breakfast was delicious but not clear and not very welcoming. It was never mentioned to us during check in, and I found myself wandering around from one building to the next trying to figure it out.

loved the location, loved the room.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

• Cleveland Queen

Great location! Place to park, Very nice quaint inn with nice rooms and breakfast. Manager Rick is very friendly and accommodating. I have stayed in many other places in Newport - this is the one I will return to.

• Cleveland King

Big comfy bed, nice bathroom.

Parking on/near premises

• Cleveland Queen

Location is second to none

Poor service

• Cleveland Queen

Very personal and friendly ownership and staff. Incredible breakfast and service! Location couldn’t be more convenient for visiting Newport!

• Cleveland Queen

Sheets were stained and dirty!

Floors are super squeaky....everywhere in the building

Nice central location. Excellent hot breakfast

• Cleveland Queen

we didnt get a whirlpool tub ,but the people we went with had one

soft pillows fireplace in living room was fantastic breakfast was top quality

• Cleveland Queen

The breakfast was completely flavorless, eat elsewhere.

The inn was cute and quaint, the room was basic but met my expectations.

Nice place , good staff , great breckfast

• Cleveland Queen

in conversation , lack of grace in future possible booking options , not quite the positive energy we seek .

convenient location

• Deluxe Queen Room

Location, breakfast and price.

Location was great

3rd story, very old, disorganized

• Cleveland King

Breakfast was mediocre. The cook was very sweet.

The room was what we expected in a Newport B&B

• Deluxe Queen Room

Comfortable bed, great location (easily walkable to downtown), friendly staff

• Cleveland Queen

Carpeting needs updating- musty. Breakfast room needs updating - very dark. Lighting in room dim

• Cleveland King

Sometimes the towels and toilet paper were not updated. Requests however were met with speed.

Very comfortable bed and lovely bathroom. Quiet too.

• Cleveland Queen

The Inn was a little pricey.

We liked the location of the Inn. The staff was great polite and very helpful.

Small room, closet

Location, staff,breakfast

Small room for 2 people.

Decor and staff and convenience by walking to everything.

Everything - definitely not a B& B

Nothing - Disgusting

• Deluxe Queen Room

Great breakfast. Great location. Would rate very good.

• Cleveland King

Rick was wonderful and the staff was very accommodating and helpful

Great location,friendly stafylovely

Having to leave.

The bed was super comfortable and breakfast was excellent.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

• Cleveland Queen

Owner was present and available and eager to please.

• Cleveland Queen

Garbage trucks in the am.

Very comfortable bed. Nice quiet street. Easy walk into town.

No croissants.

Jaccuzi was fun.

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

• Cleveland King

Needed a chair in the room. No where to sit except the bed.

Very comfortable room

• Reviewed: 17 March 2017

Location was amazing

• Cleveland Queen

Especially good location for those who enjoy walking about town

Browse Cleveland House Inn traveller photo gallery