Reviews of The James New York - NoMad 4 stars

22 East 29th Street, NoMad, New York, NY 10016, United States of America

#343 of 415 hotels in New York

No facilities like a spa or sauna, there is a gym only. No breakfast buffet - for the ones searching for.

Perfect hotel location, in the middle of up and down towns., 2 fresh deli shops from walking distance. Hotel rooms are good, with nice new furniture. Fresh drinking water will be served personally, upon request. Restaurant serves good food.

• Queen Room

Thought I had $50 minibar credit, asked at reception and was told I didn't. Was shown on my receipt at check out that I did, so it was wasted.

Huge comfy bed! Great Location

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I dont think there was anything negative about this hotel we had a fabulous stay

The staff were so friendly and helpful with any questions we had, the wine and cheese of an evening was such a lovely touch as well

Free coffee and tea in the morning could have lasted til 9 am

Very comfy beds and really nice touch having cheese and wine hour. All the staff were lovely too especially Jose on reception and Roman on the door.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The bath/shower is an outdated concept should just stick to normal shower.

Extremely comfortable beds and overall great design. Great area still walking distance to main tourist sites.

The front desk was very unfriendly and inflexible. We specifically asked for an early check in, but when checking in from a red eye from the west coast the front desk lady said there were no rooms available. When asked when we could check in, she said that they would call. They couldn’t give a time which is very frustrating when you specifically want to pay an extra 99$. After requesting a manager there suddenly was a room available right away. The unfriendliness of the front desk was such a turn off and made our stay start on a bitter note. The housekeeping staff was also on the rude side, although they did a good job, so this could be ignored. The rooms are not soundproof, and you constantly hear doors being slammed through the corridors. The windows are also not soundproof which is very annoying with the construction going on outside.

The location was great, the beds very comfortable and the restaurant had very friendly staff. The doormen were also helpful and polite.

I wish better coffee and maybe breakfast was available at the hotel, but there are some good coffee shops within a couple of blocks.

The lobby was a great place to work for a couple of hours, or have a glass of wine during their free happy hour. The room was small (as all NYC hotel rooms are) but there was a space for everything- it was so well thought out. There was even counter space in the bathroom and space to put toiletries away and out of sight.

Even after complaining of a slow draining sink it was not fixed next day. Same for door lock deadbolt. Prices for room service and minibar items were very overpriced!!

Comfortable bed....spacious room and lighting.

I would have given this property 10 stars if not for my experience on the last day. I came home at 10pm to find that my room had not been cleaned for the day. When we called the reception they promised to send someone, but 40 minutes later, nothing. I called again and they finally sent someone, but there was no consolation "water" or "can we do/bring you anything for this inconvenience". Keep in mind this is almost 11pm at night and I'm exhausted. The next day the housekeeping knocked on my door at 9am. I told them I was planning to check out at noon, and instead they knocked again at 10. This wouldn't have been a big deal if not for the silliness that annoyed me from the night before. The staff I complained to about the non-cleaning issue apologized but it really lacked in sincerity. It just felt like the apology was the response to get me off my back, not because they actually cared. It's too bad, because I did enjoy the rest of my stay, but I hope they work on the housekeeping and the customer service.

Overall nice stay. It was in a good location, the bed was very comfortable

I don't really have any complaints! The snack bars weren't quite ready in the rooms as the staff explained but that totally didn't bother me and sometimes getting the wifi signal with the Peloton bikes was a bit spotty but that can happen anywhere. Otherwise, everything was great!

Room was excellent! As was location, whether we wanted to walk to Soho or upper Manhattan. Gym was great - it has two Peloton bikes! Staff was extremely kind and helpful. Would love you stay here again!

I had an unplanned sleepover in NYC and needed a place last minute. I searched and The James popped up. Check in was fast and my room was perfect in size and amenities. i have no complaints. Price was also ok. Location is just at a corner off Madison.

There was a loud party next door, flying international is wasn't nice having your sleep disturbed to no fault of the hotels own, but they did move us room which was nice but bathroom was smaller.

The cleanliness of the hotel was impeccable, great staff, great location, the hotel had recently been refurbished and was continuing to do so so work was going on but was amazing overall.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Had to wait to check in which wasn't great after a long flight. Reception was quite manic most of the time with luggage & people. Didn't give a great impression on arrival.

Room very comfortable and clean. Great decor. Beds great. Bathroom excellent. 4 family adults in room was comfortable & large enough. Free coffee in mornings and wine in evening in Reception. Staff efficient & friendly.

• Queen Room

Nothing, when you encounter people that don't you and you don't know them but they treat you as family; there is nothing to say but THANK YOU!

The softness of bed was out of this World; yes it was like sleeping on a cloud, if thats how a cloud feel?

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

My room was in front of elevator, it was pretty noise in late evening and early morning.

Very convenient location, the room is decent size and bed is very comfortable.

The rooms are small! For the life of me I couldn't find any ice anywhere in this place. Calling down to the front desk only returned a disconnected line dial tone, which annoyed me further. Breakfast and wine are only an hour long. If I hadn't gotten a nice discount from booking.com I wouldn't have stayed here. The bed was slightly short for someone who is 6' or taller.

The bed was comfortable. Non-alcoholic minibar selection was good and allergy/alternative diet friendly. One free food item is included in the price of the room. Shower was excellent and had perfect pressure. Housekeeping and front desk staff are nice. Rooms are relatively soundproof.

• Queen Room

The staff is not very friendly. Got to the hotel at 11 pm on New Years Eve and when I approch the front desk to tell them I have a reservation the reply with ‘you cancelled your reservation’. I almost had a heart attack at that moment. After arguing that I did not cancelled the reservation, the person told me that he was going to talk to the manager. After that, he comes back and tells me ‘it seems that your card was invalid that’s why we cancelled it, but if you have another card I can go ahead and give you the room’. I was shocked by the little emphathy that the person showed towards me being so scared about not having a room for the night. Again, bad customer service!

Hot water for shower was inadequate at times. That was a problem since there was no bathroom heater and the room temp was adequate for being fully dressed with sweaters but not undressed for a shower. The outside temp was about 10 degrees and the room could never get actually warm. An in-room coffee set-up would have been nice.

Nice room. Coffee and muffins in the lobby were nice.

Only negative was no room service or restaurant on site. But honestly, this didn’t bother us and the lobby is lovely to sit at wine hour

Great midtown location.. easily walkable to Empire State Building and quiet and safe location to come back to.. a nice sanctuary after a big Manhattan day! Wine hour every night is such a nice touch!

none

the bed is comfortable, the room is clean the bathroom is clean and all the basic needs are there the TV is amazing wifi is very good and fast

Bed was very comfortable and clean. Bathroom very clean. Ran out of coffee too early. But staff was very polite. Would definitely come back and recommend

The housekeepers get in your room without asking, even when you are still there. WiFi is pretty slow

The bed is comfortable. I’m able to get everything I need in my room

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

They should have a stay package with breakfast option

Excellent, very comfortable rooms, very good location, very clean rooms, nice staff, a great experience in NYC.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking super easy, staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms spacious with large, lovely bathroom. The bed was very very very cozy...had a great nights sleep. Overall a wonderful experience and I will definately staff here again.

Restaurant in the hotel would have been nice, but think there will be one opening soon

Friendly and helpful staff Lobby Comfortable bed with good pillows Bathroom Location is perfect

Nothing much

Everyone was so friendly and accommodating. Room was terrific, beds superlative! Lobby such a nice friendly place in which to veg or socialize.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I don’t have any complaints

The room was very spacious with 4 of us in one room with 2 queen beds. The beds were super comfortable and the staff was very friendly and attentive.

They were renovating and I was not made aware . No room service , no gym etc .

I liked the room decor and the staff . I liked the lobby and the location .

• Queen Room

The aircondition was a bit of a problem. An engineer came in the beggining of our stay and after 7 days again, bacause of a constant noise. The hotel manager was always very polite, they even gave us a bottle of red wine but in the end we had to change rooms because the problem could not be fixed.

The location of the hotel is excellent, close to restaurants, bars, shops and metro stations. Everyone at the hotel was very polite and helpful. We really liked the free coffee and muffins in the morning. The room was a bit small, but we already knew that. I would recommend to anyone to stay.

The room was small, could hardly completely open the door and there is no space for a large suitcase. The coffee and muffins in the lobby (compensating for the restaurant temp under reconstruction) could be there till little later on the weekends.

Really nice welcoming lobby, expect the bar/restaurant they are now refurbishing to give a similar good, cosy feel. Room was spotless, great service with the filtered tap water you can order to the room (for free). Also nice and quiet room (at the non-street side of the building)

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Restaurant not yet open so coffee and muffins for breakfast were nice touch but not really sufficient We thought water was complimentary in the bar and so used it and then got stung for some horrendously expensive bottles of water. This was our fault though for not double checking

Loved the modern style and very comfortable beds We were a family of four and they kindly upgraded us to 2 x double rooms Bathrooms were fab and I liked the proper toiletries Staff helpful 5 mind to subway but walkable to most places

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Building work going on in hotel which I wasn't aware of when booking so hotel was noisy and no bar or breakfast facilities

Great central location & friendly and helpful staff

• Queen Room

Really great, clean and cosy. Good location near subways and just a walk away from Times Square and other sights. Nice staff. Slight breakfast included - tea/coffe and muffins/munchkins.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I had a problem with a cell phone charger, which was "mistakenly" taken by one of the maids. In any case, I told housekeeping, and they returned it.

Nice and big room. The bed was very comfortable. They had wine and cheese everyday at 5p, which was a nice extra. They also provided coffee and muffins in the morning (given that it did not include breakfast). Location is also great; it's very comfortable to reach almost anywhere by foot (if you like to walk, of course).

• Queen Room

Οverall experience was great despite that the room was somehow small. They ask for a refundable 50$/night deposit which wasn't mentioned anywhere.

big bathroom

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It’s not my favourite location in the city but still decent enoughj to get around to all the places one would want to see.

The hotel is recently renovated and it looks great! Service was very good from the second we walked in.

• Queen Room

The standard rooms are small with little space to store clothes, especially for longer stays. Noisy (traffic from outside etc). Although the hotel has just been renovated, they have not changed the old windows. Most renovations therefore seem to be cosmetic and the materials look somewhat below the quality you would expect from a 4 star hotel. The toiletteries in the room are made in china, which is a bit disappointing.

The location is nice, close to lower east side, soho and meatpacking district. Many nice restaurants around. The bed is very comfortable. The Wifi is excellent. The showers are well made. We had a sanitation issue in our room and we were upgraded by the manager, which we appreciated. I think the hotel will be much nicer once the renovations are complete.

• Queen Room

Very good position, close to my company office. The rooms are clean, modern looking and comfortable. Wine and cheese at 5pm provides a good opportunity for socializing with other visitors ... If you can make it on time.

There was some construction happening on the front of the hotel and the workers were quite loud directly outside my window at first light each day.

The bed was awesome and the room was quite large. I also thought the little sitting area was cute and functional with a chair I could work in and a chair I could relax in.

• Queen Room

My room was so dark as the window had a view on small gap between two buildings with huge pipes. I love natural light and in this room I had to have lights on all the time. AC was very loud.

Room was big and nice decorated. Bathroom was nice. I like the fact that they provided bathrobes.

No food / breakfast at the hotel (due to refurb).

The decor was beautiful and unique, especially the lobby, and bedrooms/bathroom. The soaps, creams and shampoos had a gorgeous scent, and the staff were extremely kind and helpful.

Fantastic location, walking distance to the Empire State Building, metro station nearby. Great design, cool lobby with a daily free wine hour. Nice room, very comfortable bed, great bath products. Very friendly and helpful staff.

No bath tub - very disappointing No coffee/tea, no kettle - cannot make hot water No complimentary bottled water in the room Room has no views - could see people from the opposite apartment/office Under renovation Expensive

Bed is comfy Free coffee & muffin at lobby though it would be gone way before 8am Room size is decent (compared to other hotels, i googled) The hotel & room deco. Though it is way different from pics Staff is generally helpful

We were so pleasantly surprised with our accommodations. We got a great suite with a fantastic view of the Empire State Building. Great location...we didn't have an opportunity to eat/drink there, but all was outstanding otherwise.

• Queen Room

Everything is under renovation in the hotel. They serve complementary coffee between 6-8 am, but I feel like they can actually do a bit more. They rely on the fact that the hotel is surrounded by many restaurants, cafes, etc. I think that the people who are thinking about booking this hotel have to be informed more clearly about the fact that the hotel facilities are under renovation.

The king sized room could have been a bigger fit for a 'king', the room was a little dim and the windows not properly cleaned. In addition, the room was dusty in places and had stains on the carpets.

The hotel lobby was modern and very well done and the hotel all in all was in a good location and had a charm to it.

The reception desk staff needs to be more attentive though. There was no phone in the room, not enough slippers and robes. Resolved only after asked a few times. Very tight bathroom. The shower door is impossible to open if another person is standing near the sink, or if the door to the room is open, so this was a bit uncomfortable.

Very new, booking should update the reviews as 99% of them are written about the hotel BEFORE renovation. Rooms were spacious. Large beds, good quality towels, linens etc. Stylish lobby and rooms. Best location. Hope the rates for hotel will not high-rise after the renovation is complete. Because this hotel is great for the price they offer now (+20% max). CHECK OUT at 14:00 is a MAJOR! That's awesome!!!!

This is our first stay at a James property. While this property should eventually be OK when all basic services are operational, it's apparent that "corporate"(or the individual investor) wanted to see revenue coming from this property ASAP(before renovations were completed). Staff are very friendly and the small guest rooms might initially impress you as being "hip & modern",- but that's where the positives end. Guestroom "style" trumps function here, and the guest will find that there is little-to-no storage space in neither the bedroom or bathroom areas. There is, however, an overly large mini-bar occupying an inappropriate amount of real-estate- that's clearly intended to generate more revenue for the hotel (at the expense of guest comfort). The lack of a restaurant/kitchen on site means that there is no ability to provide even basic (coffee/tea) room service in the AM. Yes- coffee and tea are available in the lobby, but it's only available until 8AM. !???! Unfortunately, based on our experience at this property(and the blatant appearance that profit is more important that guest comfort/service), it's doubtful that we would ever stay at a James property in the future. You only have one chance to make a good first impression.

Friendly staff.

They are still renovating so the elevators have protective coverings. Still was quiet and clean.

Trendy hotel in a nice area. Pleasant helpful staff. Lively lobby with nice muffins for breakfast and a small wine and cheese offering in the early evening. Rooms are clean and have nice furnishings.

The AC kept turning off and on, even though we set the temperature pretty low. It was a PTAC though, so it may have had a safety mechanism. It was also hard to find the light switch for the light over the table...it’s on the plug-in!

Good location. Newly renovated. Good size room. Great bed. Great towels.

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Having to check out and abort our stay. Lovely hotel. Location is good, however a bit distant from bars and not a lot of restaurants in the area. Restaurant was closed as well which was unfortunate.

We LOVED the room and the bathroom. Plus the mini fridge was so adorable - I want one!! Management was fantastic as my friend injured her leg and I needed to find crutches. They directed me to the right spot. Because of this we had to end our trip earlier - again management went above and beyond helping with check out, carrying her down the stairs and getting her situated in the taxi and all without charging for the quick exit. Many thanks!!

• Standard Room

The Booking.com website said the renovation would be finished by end August. They weren't - no bar, no restaurant, no breakfast, no gym. I asked the manager for the new discounted website price. He declined. He said the Booking.com web site was at fault for predicting when the renovations would be finished. We checked out the next morning.

I didn't realise when I booked that the restaurant and bar were still under construction, so facilities were pretty restricted during my stay.

Rooms were great, very comfortable and clean

• Queen Room

Check-In process; accommodations were not ready, staff wasn't informed. Waited almost 1 hour to get a hairdryer for the room

Extremely comfortable bed

• Deluxe King Suite

The staff was not very likable, to say the least. There was a continuous hum within the building that became more obvious during the night and I couldn't sleep very well. Of the six day duration, housekeeping missed one day - because it was late night by the time we returned to our hotel, no new towels were provided. On our final day of our stay at The James, I came down to the front desk to request if they would consider their 30% off suites policy for my stay and the receptionist flatly denied it. She did not bother asking if my stay had been comfortable - in fact, when I asked her if there was any specific procedure to sign out she simply said to give them the keys and we could be on our merry way. When I finally brought down the keys, the same lady just nodded curtly and did not even bother expressing a 'Thank you, hope you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.' Needless to say, I will never book a stay at The James ever again.

Location was good, but any other hotel near Central Park or Times Square would have cost as much but would have had a more responsive and courteous staff. Bedsheets were clean and the beds were rather comfortable - they were made every day, except for one day.

Great room / great location. However, it was not made clear by Booking.com that the hotel was going thru major renovations. So no kitchen, restaurant, bar, gym, room service, cafe, laundry service. So poor value. Will be a great stay in the future I'm sure.

• Standard Room

Front desk staff were inconsistent re : answers about when restaurant would reopen. One stated June, others said sometime in fall.

I was upgraded to a newly renovated beautiful room, as no fitness center, bars or restaurants open do to renovations.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

• Superior Queen Room

The bathroom was a little small but it was an old hotel with a lot of character, so this is not necessarily a bad comment. I would recommend this hotel to friends and we would stay at this hotel again.

The room was quiet and clean. The bed was comfortable so I slept very soundly. The staff were friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel was central so my husband and I could hop on and off the subway.

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

The light in the bar needs to be removed. The shower curtain rods need to be changed. Another light in the room. A luggage rack.

The hotel is under construction but I got a renovated room which was lovely. The room could use a few touches. More lights and a towel rack in the bathroom.

• Reviewed: 2 April 2017

the two dead rats on the lower stairwell leading to the first floor - lower floor was under construction.

the large size and comfort of the guest room and bathroom.

• Superior Queen Room

The room was very cramped. The carpeting needs updating. Heat was not working until a maintenance guy came to fix it. Hotel was under construction, which we were not informed of prior to staying.

Good location. Close to some great restaurants.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Superior Queen Room

Superior Queen was the smallest room I have ever stayed in NYC in. Totally oversold on Booking, in reality the rooms are rather tired, abysmal and tiny bathroom and would not book again.

Helpful and cheerful staff

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Executive King Room

Had to ask for towels. Was charged for garage when we had no car. They took it off bill. Coffee station needed some attention in the lobby.

Good location. Price on the surface was good.

• Reviewed: 22 January 2017

• Standard Room

Was not told of refurbishment program at booking. Elevators constantly delayed and full of workmen and their kit. Was not told at time of booking that no breakfast would be available. The room had a very noisy pipe outside which sounded like a truck running outside the room all night. Never again.

Just the location.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel was under renovation and had little to no facilities available to clients. The restaurant was closed and there was on bar facilities. As a regular client of Booking .com, I feel that I should have been informed of the state of the hotel. I would have booked into a different hotel had I known this. The first room I was put in was not to standard. It was in a very poor state with the wall paper was peeling off in certain areas, it looked dirty and we found a centipede in the bathroon. We were move to a new room which was somewhat better. In all a very disappointing hotel which fell well short of its 4 star status.

The location and the friendliness of the staff.

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Executive King Room

Hotel was under construction, terrible smell in hallway, restaurant was closed (which I didn't find out about until days before I was to check in), brown water coming out of my shower/tub, toilet didn't work in my children's room, free coffee in lobby was unavailable (broken), ..... Will not be staying in this hotel again. Overall appearance of hotel was shabby.

The location was great.

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room seemed unkept and needed some updates. I didn't like how we couldn't control our own room temperature.

Our driver Fred was nice and knowledgeable. The location is great!

• Standard Room

The facility is very old and being renovated. The heater was not working properly and it was noisy at night. The shower is very old. The price I paid was the same for a much better and modern hotel I stayed a few days earlier in NYC. A few days before my visit, I was advised by a Bookings representative that the restaurant would be closed. When they called me I thought that it was because of some end of year event that couldn't have been foreseen when I made the reservation, months before, so I didn't think it would be a big problem. The reality was that that was a part of a major refurbishment that had been going on for some time and that should have been advertised better. I feel the hotel rate should have better reflected the general state of the facility. Not good value for money at the moment in my opinion. It might earn a second chance once the renovation is finished, if they offer very good introductory rates.

Good level of cleanliness. Helpful staff. Good location close to many subway lines.

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Was offered am extra bed when checking in. This was never brought. Called the reception to follow up, someone said he'd call me back on the issue, he never did.

Location of the hotel

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

They are in the middle of a renovation, and after going through one at my own job, I know the ins and outs of this issue. I felt the hotel was not offsetting the fact that there was no gym, restaurant or room service. I found out as we checked out that you could use a gym nearby. They should have some type of food service provided by a nearby restaurant or delivery (a NYC staple). When you're going through renovations and paying TOP DOLLAR, you should get something in return. And I get it was the end of the holiday season, which is grueling, but the concierge was not a happy camper, and there were times that no one was at the door or at the front desk. Total security issue. Also, the whole soap saving program is ridiculous. I was given one bar of soap instead of one for the bath and one for the sink. Find a way to recycle used, leftover soap instead of being stingy with it.

Beds were great, and the lobby is pretty

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

• Superior Queen Room

We had two rooms , one had a see through door to the toilet/ shower ( not ideal ) . Both 'executive' rooms were adequate but not great , and seemed poor value for the price .

• Superior Queen Room

It is an old hotel the service is very bad, people weren't very helpful . We had lots of noise,, brown water coming out of the shower at the time and 2 mistake fire drill. This is unacceptable for this king of hotels

• Superior Queen Room

We were really disappointed of our choice. When we did the booking we read some review about an ongoing renovation (October), which we assumed that could end at our arrival (December). It came out that the hotel is so old, and the terrible conditions are justified with the endless renovations. The windows are dirty and do not close properly, causing the room to be very loudy.

Only the position, which at the end was not that great compared to other options.

• Standard Room

Everything else. Lift broke had to walk 7 flights with 4 suit cases. Room really untidy. Dusty. Needs up dating. No services what so ever. Staff rude.

Location ONLY!!!!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Superior Queen Room

The hotel was under refurbishment and so offered no food or drink facilities which we were not aware of when booking through booking.com. During our stay the majority of the hotel was not available, so although a good location the overall value of the room with no food or beverage facilities/areas was impacted. Booking.com did sort this out with the hotel after my stay however which was appreciated.

Warm inside.