Reviews of The Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel 5 stars

41 Tunnel Road, Oakland, CA 94705, USA

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Food costs at hotel restaurant were too overpriced. Staff was efficient and helpful.

Location, cooperate staff, room, especially beds, very comfy. Accessing pool and health club was challenging but doable. Why wasn’t water provided in exercise rooms?

• Standard King Room

The pool scene. I took my husband for a nice babymoon and had a different experience than I anticipated based off pictures from the website. This is a great place if you want to drop your kids off at the pool. It’s a glorified YMCA for the wealthy neighbors of the hotel. They sell pool and tennis club memberships and you feel like your at a public pool with lanes taking up half the pool and hourly swim breaks for the 20 kids in the pool. It was pool time for the tech industry rather than a relaxing time at the pool for a couple . Wouldn’t go back, probably not even with my child.

Beautiful hotel and staff was kind. Hotel room was small, which was fine for us, and really nice/cozy. Bathrobes were comfy and bathroom was really nicely done. Two shower heads and nice marble flooring and shower!

• Standard King Room

Room service was very expensive. Living space in standard hotel rooms are not that big. In fact the bathroom space was probably equal in size to the living space.

Excellent service from hotel personnel. Fitness center is huge and has everything you would possibly want. Bathroom in standard hotel room was rather large.

• Junior Suite King

Property is out of the way and you rally do need a car to stay here. Restaurant has limited menu and grumpy waiters. Food quality just so-so, expensive too. Fortunately Berkeley has many great restaurants. Most of them aren't near here - except for Rick And Ann's lunch and breakfast spot which is across the street.

The pool and fitness facility are the reasons to stay here. Great views of San Francisco from some top floor rooms and Linwood restaurant.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Definitely didn’t see any evidence of champagne sabering on a daily basis!

Really comfortable. Beautiful building. Great staff. Great facilities. Beautiful views from the restaurant/bar.

• Moderate Queen Room

Pool area is under renovations and you walk through the fitness center to access it and need to stop and check in with the fitness staff which causes delays and is downright annoying. Food could be a better value. A bit pricey for what you get. One tiny potato with a steak. Overpriced!

Restaurant drinks.

• Moderate Queen Room

Grand hotel in a superb location. Excellent service, friendly staff, first-rate restaurant. Great views of San Francisco and the Bay. Certain wings of the building are old, but you really can’t go wrong here.

• Moderate Queen Room

Had my son and 3 friends (Naval Academy Rugby Team playing Cal following day) by for a late lunch. Was not allowed to eat at the facility by the pool. Wasn't using the gym or any other facilities, just looking to get lunch outside.

Bed terrific Incredible "temporary" gym Consierge people unmatched

• Moderate Queen Room

It was an idyllic stay. Our room was super stylish and I found myself admiring the design choices at every turn. We had a totally charmed dinner with our kids in the hotel lounge. We ended our stay with an am swim in the heated pool tucked in the scenic Berkeley hills.

• Queen Room

The Spa experience could be better. You pay extra for Spa but it doesn't include anything more than a hot tub and a steam room which you could technically get in the Club side of the hotel too.

It is a beautiful building, lovely hotel. Staff are great, very helpful. The history is all around!

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

I didn’t rate the Claremont excellent on cleanliness because on two different occasions there was leftover room service food sitting on a table in the hallway for hours. Also, one day we left the room early in the morning for my husband to have some outpatient surgery and when we got back at 3 pm the room still wasn’t clean.

We stayed here for the view and were not disappointed. The room was large with a king-size bed and a lovely bathroom. The bed was comfortable but the comforter on top was too warm even though we left the windows open at night.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Didn't exactly like being on the 1st floor (below the main lobby floor). Felt like we were relegated to the "basement" but we needed rooms close to the kids so we took what was available. Even though our rooms had a peek-a-boo view of the city and Golden Gate bridge in the distance we had to overlook the property's parking lot and service entrance.

Loved the luxurious and historic setting and also how spacious the rooms were! Really appreciate that you were able to accommodate our request for a microwave and fridge for our daughter's severe food allergies. The room service oatmeal was the most AMAZING, delicious and healthy oatmeal breakfast we have ever had. If you want to start your day right, order the oatmeal. Room service pancakes were enormous. I recommend sharing this dish.

The 30.00 dollar a night for my car to stay

It was clean we felt safe your staff is the best from the valets to checkin and out to your pool and gym staff will stay here again my brother owns anton salon down the hill and we will come more often to visit

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room key did not work. We waited about 30 minutes for someone to help. At that point, they said we would need to change rooms but that they would make it worth the change. The new room overlooked a parking lot. We called to talk to the front desk about it and she said she couldn't do anything it. She wished us a nice evening and that was it. There was no attempt to rectify the situation.

Impossible to say

The bedding is luxurious The view!! Breathtaking Love the huge bathroom and shower Minibar and snacks were creative and not outrageously priced

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

High speed internet costs extra. Sound proofing is a joke.

They went out of their way to fulfill any special request and didn't charge extra for it.

• Moderate Queen Room

Stayed there 17 yrs ago and had great memories. On return visit, looks like place hasn’t been attended to properly: lobby smelled bad, mold/stains on carpets in lobby, spa/gym under “construction”, but no sign of active work being done. Too expensive for product being delivered .

Great history, great charm

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

The restaurant having to change the menu on the eve of new year only to serve us chips with dip😠. I was disappointed that it's not bed and breakfast at this hotel like other hotels!!!

Checking in process didn't take so long,stuff is really professional. Housekeeping does a great job.

I booked a King deluxe room, they gave me a queen standard room. They did not have a King deluxe available even though I had reserved and paid for it. Since I had reserved and paid through booking.com they couldn't refund. The manager comped us some services and meals to make up the difference on the first night and provided the correct room on the second night.

The staff were very helpful. Food was excellent. Spa was amazing.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Owing to its location, there's not much you can walk to from the hotel.

The staff was incredible. The hotel itself is wonderfully decorated and has great views from many rooms. Just being there is a treat.

• Queen Room

Gym in the tent...wait until its renovated

Great old hotel. Beautiful renovated contemporary common areas. However, rooms and bathrooms need updating but overall a nice hotel. The gym facilities were in a tent though. Once they finish the renovation it will be great. If you play tennis and are the type who likes working out while on vacation this is the best hotel in the sf bayarea. Its compareable to Cavallo Hotel in Sausalito. The outdoor lap pools are great. Claremont hotel is surrounded by a beautiful expensive neighborhood so really nice biking and running areas. Just wait until the gym facilities are complete.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds with View

The price. Wish it was lower. Still, I needed a sure thing and the Claremont really understands hospitality.

After a long work day, we were able to find a secluded bar with a great view of the bay bridge. It was the perfect place for quiet conversations and the bartender kept an eye on us for drinks and food.

• Junior Suite King with View

Found a used pack of cigarettes in the room when we arrived. Had communication problems with the front desk about reservation and room keys.

The bathroom was huge and bed was comfortable.

• Standard King Room

The bathroom was recently renovated and was beautiful. The views from the lounges in the hotel are incomparable and the service is wonderful. We love to walk through the surrounding neighborhoods. It's also very convenient to the Cal campus, where we were visiting our son.

• Standard King Room

Tooooooo much expensive for our room it was small room for our value of money their is no sleepers also a lot of five stars hotel should have in the room nothing every thing should order please this is five stars hotel should know how hospitality the room

The staff was friendly and beautiful place

• Junior Suite King

Food overpriced and mediocre.. Some service lacking in housekeeping.

Rooms recently renovated, but it is the pool and fitness facilities that make this place.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Not family friendly had issues with my kids playing tennis at the spa made for an unpleasant trip.My main issue was with the spa the hotel staff was fine and ended up leaving the hotel early due to my wife feeling uncomfortable after the incident and additionally I was staying for a week she would be left there alone

Beautiful place and location

• Queen Room

Although the young girl at the desk was friendly, her french accent was so heavy it was difficult to understand everything she said. Once I checked in the room, the air conditioning unit was so loud, I called and asked if I could have a room with quieter AC. Although the hotel was clearly very quiet, they said there were no other rooms available "in my price class." Finally, they did not email a copy of my statement as promised, and the charge on my credit card was $80 higher than quoted when I booked. When I called the hotel to have the statement sent to me, they said they didn't even know if they could send it because I had reserved via Booking.com, then transferred me to some extension that didn't even state a name or department on the voicemail. I had to call back and at that point, a very nice person named Patrick was able to send my statement. Unfortunately, a very bad experience overall, I will not book through Booking.com or at this hotel again.

• Queen Room

The air con was permanently noisy and just before leaving leaked heavily over several items of clothing.It was too late to get them cleaned by the hotel and it would have been nice if they had refunded the consequent cost of me having to do this the next day.I did not push the point out of politeness. The sauna area and tiles in the jacuzzi need to be cleaned-this area of the club is clearly heavily used or not cleaned frequently enough.

The exterior of the hotel is impressive and decor within is of a high standard.A club is incorporated within the services of the hotel and the pools are mostly laned.Welcome was good though our supposed upgrade was definitely at the end of a long corridor and quite a walk.Bedroom and bathroom clean.

• Standard King Room

I can't think of anything off hand I would improve, not many flaws for this hotel at all.

Everything was great, would highly recommend the Claremont. The highlight was the staff, everyone was incredibly friendly - I think more friendly than any hotel I've ever stayed at. Facilities were classy and now over done, with nice sized rooms. Very nice having such a large sports club attached, I went to the gym multiple times and sat by the pool. Great view as well from the hotel, and can walk easily to Berkeley.

Was a heat wave weekend and the air con in our room was inadequate (was fine in our 2 sons room). Probably as a result of the heat, the pool area was so packed with people that you couldn't get beds and it felt more like a big resort than an exclusive hotel. This is made worse by the fact that the pool area is a club used by non hotel guests who in turn could take in their guests (all be it a limited number). The pool itself was probably one of the dirtiest I have been in at a hotel (possibly because of the volume of use). The visibility of the water was poor. The worst bit was the clumps of hair in the water that were visible (with goggles on) and both my husband and I got hair in our faces when we swam. The gym had no air con, the doors and windows were opened, so being in a heat wave it was very uncomfortable to use.

Rooms nice and v clean. Beds very comfortable. Hotel building itself was lovely.

• Standard Queen Room with View

I've been coming here for 40 years but it has gone downhill. The rooms are decorated in Dracula black, not exactly restful. We paid over %500 for a room and when I asked for a 1 PM checkout (wife was ill) it was refused. Most of staff were very nice but asst. manager was a downer.

The exterior of the hotel is great and public room are ok

• Standard King Room

The hotel did not honor the price given on the Booking.com website. I actually only stayed one night of the 4 nights I stayed in Berkeley California. The room was extremely small and so was the bathroom. It is claiming to be a 4-5 star hotel, which it is not. So not worth the money!!

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Beautiful, old, nostalgic exterior with very nice beds.

The service at the restaurant and check in check out was beyond slow. The breakfast was pretty bad, over and hour for four of us and over $100 for a very mediocre meal, no alcohol. The huevos rancheros were deplorable. The line at check out was 6 guests long.

• Deluxe King Room with Bay View

No restroom facilities down at the tennis courts (or I couldn’t find them); have to walk up the hill to the pool club?

New owners have radically upgraded the lobby, common areas, and rooms. Wow!

• Standard King Room

It didn't have a shuttle service to the University or the BART station...

The club was great! The building itself is like a castle. One of those places you never want to get out of!

• Queen Room

The "exit" from the parking lot. It takes too much time :( The restaurant was too noisy .

Great Location, wonderful view, great coffe in the room, friendly staff.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beautiful views, super comfortable beds. Everything was deluxe, beautiful and super clean. Walk to cute breakfast cafes and other shops. Short drive to Cal Berkeley campus.

Some what confused hallway to the room, but after few trips to the spa and restaurant, we got used to get back to the room without any problems.

We celebrated our 21st anniversary and the experience was amazing! Beautiful and clean room and all the amenities as expected for luxury hotel. We wish we stay for 2 nights instead of one. The staff are super friendly. We dine at the Maritage, a restaurant within the hotel and the restaurant took special care knowing it was our anniversary. The food was great except a little too salty to my taste...

• Standard King Room

View of rooftop Humming noise in room from? Ventilation systems? Very comfortable sleeping accommodation.

Valet/Bell Hop/Greeter initiated friendly attentive, but not overly aggressive service which is good. They're onsiderate of patron's time & needs. 1/3 desk service was very polite rather than brusk. Had to ask rather than their initiating suggestions. Am a savy traveler, but imagine others not so aware. 2 requested services were undelivered in timely manner & 1 not at all regarding in room servicing. Spent most of stay outside rather than on hotel.

Since I booked this Hotel for the view, I was very disappointed to find our room located in the basement with only the car park and tennis courts outside. Not only did this severely disappoint my wife and I, also the noise from Cars and Tennis from 7am onwards was unacceptable. We surly expected a better accommodation to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Despite me asking for a good room we were given this cellar lodging. Very very disappointed !!!

Good Service, Parking Attendents, and Bell Service

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

There was nothing that we didn't like, but I think the receptionist on check in, could have been more informative. Ideally we'd have liked to know breakfast / dining options, times, costs and also local shopping and dining recommendations would have been useful.

Excellent value for money. Beautifully furnished hotel, with very spacious rooms. Great gym, pool and tennis facilities. We loved Edie the roaming hotel service dog.

• Junior Suite King with View

The drain for one of the sinks did not work well. The blackout shade on one of the windows would not go down all of the way. The "bay view" room was more of a view of the tennis courts; you could barely see the water. The tub was just a standard tub, the shower head was mounted way too low, anyone over 5'10" would be very uncomfortable showering.

Super comfortable bed and pillows. Beautiful hotel.

Breakfast was in restaurant style. No buffet or option for normal breakfast, made it a very expensive breakfast. Room rate on the pricey side.

Fast Wifi. Nice bathroom. Very nice spa facilities. Location of hotel in a great location outside the trafic zone and near to scenic nature.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

If you book through a "third party" you are at the end of the line for getting a room, trying to check in. We had young childten who desperately needed a nap, which was requested by us when first arriving at the hotel, and they did not give us a room until the exact 4:00 check in time, even though others were checking in consistently, and then ONLY after threatening to cancel our dinner reservations for a party of 7, because the children would be so unruley. After I told them this, within 5 minutes..amazingly rooms were available.

Friendly, courteous staff. Excellent location and facilities. Clean and comfortable well appointed rooms. Overall...great place to stay and enjoy the Bay area.

• Standard King Room

The landscaping and ability to walk around the property is surprisingly poorly designed. The rest of the hotel is packed with eyesores. Strange that such an amazing hotel wouldn't invest in some thoughtful landscaping/garage ports to hide giant garbage area/loading docks/power stations/ etc.

Beautiful iconic hotel with bay views and the distant Golden Gate Bridge. A must experience bucket list hotel.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The food is pretty terrible, for San Francisco. The gluten free options were a) not good, b) scarce, and c) very expensive. The kids didn't eat the breakfast I bought them (for $100), and at night I had to order delivery to feed them dinner.

• Junior Suite King

Unfortunately, the big restaurant has no terrace. We would have loved to be outside and get served the menu of the big restaurant and the brunch as well on an outside terrace. :)

We enjoyed the location a lot and the little restaurant terrace. Wonderful food and a really lovely view of the city and the golden gate bridge.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Expensive to eat and park- very limited vegetarian options in restaurants. Extremely crowded at the pool.

Beautiful room, great pools, wonderful, helpful, friendly staff. Lovely property.

• Moderate Queen Room

Great service from the staff. Our little one loved the kids pool for non-swimmers. Our room was spacious enough and closet was big enough to stash our bags. Luxurious bathroom.

• Queen Room

Our room was very small and cramped, the air conditioner was too loud, & we couldn't open the room windows for air because they overlooked the loading dock/trash area which was noisy and brightly lit continously. Sorry, but we won't be back because that part of our experience was awful and what one might expect of a cheap motel, not the Claremont.

The staff were great. The bed was comfortable.

• Standard King Room

How much time do u have? Hotel was overwhelmed by three weddings and Memorial Day weekend. Did not have anywhere near the staffing they needed. Problem too is that Claremont has members..overpaid Cal Berkeley professors and their spoiled children. Tons of screaming kids everywhere who overwhelmed the pool. Then they had to close the pool for a kid who pooped and another who barfed. THEN they RAN OUT of Pina Colada mix at the pool bar. Horrible anniversary experience. Filthy bathroom in the womens spa. Fairmont clearly doesn't understand how to run a resort. We should have received a refund.

Beautiful spot geographically with amazing views. Room remodel was very nice. Great bed. Stunning bathroom. Marble!!

• Moderate Queen Room

I prefer the Claremont name-it is a historical landmark and that name should remain on all the items in the hotel. I did not find it in the room and that was a disappointment.

• Junior Suite King with View

My window seals were covered with bugs, the shower pressure was horrible, and for me to have had a Jr. Suite, it was not what I expected AT ALL, my room was very small for the price. Not very satisfied.

The meals

• Moderate Queen Room

The Limewood was a disappointment. The food was uneven with some being great and others not good. The pork chop was dry and flavorless. The noise level was really unbearable. The prices way too high for the food. The pool area was overcrowded, filled with screaming children (including the hot tub) and it was dirty out there. They allow "Club members" complete access at all times which means those who are hotel guests do not have the quiet peaceful surrounds one would expect, especially for the price. The only quiet adult only wet areas were separated by gender so we could not relax and be together.

Having access to the spa wet areas was very nice. The Views from the restaurants were nice. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet. The waitstaff were very kind and well trained. The hotel manager was responsive and comped our dinner and resort fee.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast at Meritage was great but the limewood restaurant food was just average.

Great location with comfortable beds, relaxing showers and lots of family friendly amenities.

• Reviewed: 10 June 2017

• Queen Room

The club needs a renovation. The swimming pool is okay but the sauna and the changing room are very dated.

Great hotel. Great onsite restaurants. Great breakfast!

• Standard King Room with View

View with room king bed is what I booked and I got a dirty window with a large amount of bird poop outside the window. Room was extremely dusty. Headboard, coffee maker, wines all had a layer a dust.

Food was decent staff were nice.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

How far our room was from the elevator did the view from our room. Better rooms were saved for those who did not book through booking.com

Great on site restaurants.

• Standard King Room

The room I was first given had not been cleaned. A false alarm woke me at midnight, the hotel was evacuated, a strobe light in the room did not shut off until nearly 1:30 a.m. I didn't feel welcome as a single woman.

The location is good. The hotel has history and character. The bed was comfortable.

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Spa treatment expensive. Room was warm and couldn't open window. We were in the back in the cheaper room. So i think the other rooms you could open a window. Bathroom small for the price of room. Windows were dusty which I probably would not have noticed if I wasn't desperately trying to open one.

Bed was comfy. Good service. Staff excellent. Quiet. Old time elegance. Historic. Great views.

• Queen Room

Casual restaurant had pretty awful Service. Linda at front desk was extraordinary, she became my friend who literally noticed when I looked like I needed help in Lobby. She printed and re-printed business documents, found me a safety pin and is a wonderful person. The Bar Waitress in the "Blue Room" is a delight, and said she loved seeing me enjoy myself with my Son.

• Queen Room

Very expensive for a a VERY small old room, no breakfast included, shower had no pressure, aircon was extremely loud. Very very expensive for what it is

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Noise level Of adjoining rooms. There is a pool but we would have to walk really far through cold weather and across streets to get to it. Very inconvenient. Attending brunch was expected but we couldn't make reservations. The desk agent should have told us to during check in

Historic value

• Queen Room

It is terribly overpriced for what you get. The restaurant also was overpriced for the area. You should be given the choice of using the pool, spa, and tennis courts. If you are unable to use them, there should be NO CHARGE>

The property is beautiful, classic. It has a gorgeous view of the Bay Area.

• Moderate Queen Room

We spent more money this year and got a much smaller room than we got the year before. We were located right next to the Housekeeping Laundry facility and all night long we heard the wheels of the cart being rolled in and out of that room. I have to say we were so disappointed because our last stay there was so lovely we wanted to come back. We had a king size bed last time and the room was much bigger.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

• Junior Suite with Two Queen Beds

We arrived on Sunday night. Seemed like the hotel was understaffed. However, the staff that was working went above and beyond. Especially the valet. He noticed that there wasn't a bell boy to collect our luggage, so he went ahead and collected our luggage and parked the car!

The remodeled rooms are gorgeous. Junior Suite gave our family of four plenty of room. Staff works hard at making their newly acquired hotel a Fairmont experience.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds with View

Aircon in room was very noisy

It's a huge hotel and often you lose atmosphere and service . Not here. Service was fabulous in every area. Great local community and just a good energy to the place. Loved our stay here.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Service in restaurant was under staffed and needed training. Food was great though

Front desk was kind and helpful at all times. When checking out the booking department over charged and bill was corrected

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

• Moderate Queen Room

Soap and bath products weren't my favorite.

The shower was roomy. And I liked the convenience of the room's many electrical outlets. The fitness classes I took that fit into my schedule were a welcome break.

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Standard King Room

We were located near an elevator and it was very noisy. They need to figure out how to make the hallway noise less invasive to the rooms. Also, though much money has been spent on the common areas, the same is not the case for the spa (used to be my favorite local getaway and it is still very tired and in need of an update). Also, the food/drink is very, very expensive.

I liked the new common areas decor

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

• Standard Double Room with Two Double Beds

Getting in and out of the barrier gate!! Last night I messed up, Rushing to church, forgot that I could just wave my room key to lift the barrier gate open to make way for my car!! held up traffic at the gate, trying-to fish out my credit card.... and when I called the front desk, a very fast and friendly valet/ parking attendant ran all the way down the hill to assist ...thank you

Excellent customer service friendly courteous

• Reviewed: 4 December 2016

• Queen Room

Location is rather isolated in the middle of residential area.

Hotel is beautifully located overlooking the San Francisco bay with Golden Gate Bridge in the distance.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

• Moderate Queen Room

My original room# 425 had a vent hanging from the ceiling that wouldn't latch, the reception manager Lorie, moved me to 708, then I gave authorization to move my packed belongings, got back to Fairmont at 6:00pm, nothing was done, had to get ready really fast to attend an event, jumped in the shower, took a long time for the hot water to work. Ordered room service, then called asked to hold on my order for 35 min, got back from the Spa, food was sitting on the room service table awaiting for me outside the room. Food was cold, specially the Meritage Burger. I love the Hotel, have been there over 24 times, never had so many things gone wrong. Very poor stay, but the Front Desk staff was friendly, and the Conciege staff superbe. Communications between departments needs a major improvement. Overall experience was very poor.

The Bar by the reception. Great Staff, specially Laura, very attentive to your customers needs.

• Reviewed: 18 November 2016

• Moderate Queen Room

that we had to leave!!!!!

what's not to like????? Terry NcMillan recommended your hotel...,only issues we had were concerning the restaurants..... confusing!!! open- closed- in transition... hmmmmmm....We dined elsewhere!