Reviews of Colonial Inn 3 stars

145 Shore Road, Ogunquit, ME 03907, USA

#6 of 33 hotels in Ogunquit

the continental spread for breakfast was excellent .The overall experience ,the room ,the grounds ,the staff ,extremely helpful , were very good and exceeded our expectations .Also it was a great value for an Inn of this caliber .

Toilet was too low and no toilet cover. Not having a toilet cover things can fall in the toilet more than likely. Not able to eat bagels. No choice of bread for toast in the morning just bagels. No peanut butter.

Location, cleanliness of our room, hotel appearance. Hotel was very comfortable.

One-way dishes for breakfast is for me no longer accepted in such a nice hotel. It not only looks cheap, it's not environmental friendly.

Nice rooms

• Queen Garden Room

Their website does not really show where you are staying. It appears as though you will be staying in the pictured hotel, but, there are buildings that surround the hotel in the back with absolutely no views at all. The place was very clean though and accommodating. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and a nice continental breakfast to start every day with fresh baked goods and coffee or tea. A very nice touch.

Love the area

we've stayed in many hotels at both ends of the scale, but the colonial staff were all so friendly and helpful. We always had a friendly smile no matter whom it was. That counts so highly when you just want to enjoy your stay.

The portion of the Inn that we stayed in was on the backside, the walkways need painting and most disappointing was the view, we faced another portion of the Inn outside our door so there was no view at all.

The inside of the room was great, clean and very comfortable. I loved the porch on the main Inn, very pretty and comfortable to sit and reach. Location was prime in terms of walking distance to the Marginal Way, restaurants and shops!

• Superior King Room

More furniture on the front porch would be a great addition.

We truly enjoyed our stay at the Colonial Inn! The location is perfect and the rooms were bright and comfortable. The common area is beautifully decorated and furniture is thoughtfully placed so you have the sense of privacy while you share the space. We will visit again!

That the pool was not opened.

The rooms were so spacious beds comfy will be back! Microwave and a fridge and a roll out bed. The only sad part was that we couldn’t stay longer!!

• Superior King Room

I feel the air conditioning unit could be relocated... it was mounted high on the wall directly beside the bed & blew air directly on you no matter where you were in the bed.

Location was excellent.. close to shops, restaurants & Perkins Cove. Immaculate both inside & out. I would definitely stay here again!!

• Traditional King Room

The air conditioner was hard to work. I had to have the front desk come up to show me and even then I couldn't get it to adjust right.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean.

• Traditional King Room

Although the bathroom was nice I thought the floor was a little dirty, it felt sticky in some spots as I walked around. I stayed there for 3 nights and thought that housekeeping would notice that the floor needed to be cleaned but they never cleaned it not once my entire stay.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable, I love the nice, spacious and modern bathroom with updated fixtures. Also the walk in closet was a bonus. I felt very comfortable in my room.

• Traditional King Room

No mini fridge in our room.

Everything was excellent, from the room to the breakfast ,smooth check-in and out Very nice staff, the coffee/tea and cookies available all day where of great quality. Would for sure return :-)

• Traditional King Room

Breakfast was terrible. Sour milk was served! Would like to see Belgium waffles to make fresh. The hotel has the same price as booking .com, so just book directly with hotel.

I wish there had been information about local eateries and shopping either in the room or in the lobby. The staff was very helpful in making suggestions of places that were open this early in the season.

Everything was bright and clean.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

I didn't like that we could hear street traffic, so request quiet area away from busy street. I didn't like the fact of no place for makeup..just sink, no counter/vanity space.

The room was bright and cheery with great comfy king bed. It was very clean and updated.

I am not a picky person. I thought everything was nice. I would like fresher coffee though.

We didn't have fluffy eggs...hard boiled. The bed was a remarkable experience. I have not slept in a bed that comfortable in my life. The staff were very friendly. I want to buy a new mattress now. I thought the breakfast was very nice. Yeah, the coffee had been there for a while. But it was coffee. Thank you for a very pleasant stay

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

The parking was limited and no ramp for roller bags. Also the room had a view but adjacent to the neighboring property and the traffic.

The room was great and the bathrooms were very nice. Short walk to downtown and the beach. Would definitely stay there again.

Arrived a couple hours early before check in, the room wasn't ready. We were told it was ok to hang out on the porch and/or take a walk around town, and we would get a call when it was ready. 3pm check in time came and went. 4pm came and went. When I finally went back to the desk, the desk person said "your room has been ready for a while". It wasn't worth wasting the effort to ask why the phone call wasn't made.

The main building lounge and wrap around porch were great for relaxing. Plus Very large room

• Superior King Room

The room was beautiful and very comfortable. The breakfast included a nice variety. Location was excellent, very close to Marginal Way and walking distance to many shops and restaurants.

A longer stay!

The staff could not have been more accomodating, offering ice buckets and plates for our snacks on the porch and even placed unused items in fridge for next day, helpful with info on restaurants and upcoming events in town. Only issue we had was with Booking.com, who was non responsive to queries. I will not use their services ever again.

• Queen Garden Room

Private. Nice back yard and pool area. Beautiful wrap around porch for relaxing and having a drink from their sercice window

Beautiful facilities and clean as a whistle. Wonderful location. Access to marginal way, Perkins cove and downtown. Loved it!

• Superior King Room

Staff was friendly, facilities were clean, hotel was upgraded in 2013. Had nice Room with view of the ocean. Would definitely stay there again.Nice continental breakfast.

I stayed in the main facility and liked the quaintness and comfortable feel to the place. The coffee and treats offered throughout the day were a plus. The continental breakfast was a lot more than expected and delicious. I also liked that it was in close walking proximity to almost everything.

• King Garden Room

Thanks for the 2 beautiful days. We were two families. Very friendly owners, nice clean rooms and a good breakfast. We liked it all. We stayed in a garden room.

• Superior King Room

The Colonial Inn was SO charming! I like the fact that you had a real key for your room, the Italian Roast Coffee (my favorite!) available all day in the lobby and the warm chocolate chip cookies available in the afternoon and evening! Great place to stay!! The staff was also very helpful and friendly.

I was put in a second floor room, instead of the first floor room I booked with Booking.com and CONFIRMED with the Colonial Inn on June 10, 2017. I checked with the Colonial Inn in June, Aug and Sept to confirm we had the first floor and would have a refrigerator for medications. The put me in a second floor room and there was no refrigerator in the room. They provided one later and offered a different room around the back from the main Inn were people were smoking outside the rooms. Not good for asthma. There was no mention of needing of the elevator to get from the parking level to the the lobby, until I struggled up the outside stairs for checkin and the clerk mentioned it. I could not have done it in slippery inclement weather. Our last night Saturday we were out to our "event and returned to find a non-handicap vehicle in the one handicap spot. We went inside to ask the clerk to get the illegally parked owners out of the space but were told "It's 10:15 (PM) I can't disturb them now. " We did have a handicap tag and could not use the spot because someone illegally parked there and the clerk refused to do anything about it. The next morning a different clerk was on duty and showed no interest in the situation either. This facility is not friendly.

The maid service kept the room clean.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

A little tired and could do with a refurb in places. Hotel on town through road and the sea view was distant. Cold breakfast in a tiny room. Coach party queued for some time. Terrible coffee.

Room was spacious and well appointed with panoramic views of a thoroughfare, car parks and other hotels to sea & beaches beyond.

• Superior King Room

Loved the atmosphere. Lobby and Inn type setting very quaint. Water and homemade chocolate chip cookies in lobby was a nice bonus. Huge wraparound porch was great. Pool and jacuzzi was nice and private. Room was immaculate and loved the beachy airy feel of the room. Walking distance to everything in Ogunquit.

• Queen Garden Room

It was not bad, but lacked an ocean view that we hoped for. We had friends staying at the hotel/resort next door and we used their facilities.

The location was very good. Walking to the center area. The hotel has several converted houses into rooms, ours was in a neighbor around the corner from the hotel. Just a little odd. Only time we saw staff was at the front desk.

Liked the great location. Also, it was very clean, had a continental breakfast, and we enjoyed the hot tub. We walked everywhere as it was very close to shops, restaurants, marginal way and the beach. Would stay here again.

There isn't anything I didn't like.

This hotel is very comfortable. It is centrally located between downtown Ogunquit and Perkins cove. It is within walking distance to the ocean, fine restaurants and shops. The locals are friendly and helpful.

• Superior King Room

Could not get room heater to work. OK after second try with staff member who readjusted central control from summer A.C. to fall heat.

Good bed. Water hot. Room clean. Room service good. Baked goods at breakfast excellent.

Manager of facility impolite, embarrassed us in front of other guest, told us this is what to expect when booking through third party, room was dirty, continental breakfast was poor. Would not recommend to anyone.

• Superior King Room

The Colonial Inn was a fantastic place to stay for our whim of a trip to Ogunquit. A beautiful colonial house that has been restored and upgraded with modern amenities, I have no complaints. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the room itself was absolutely charming. We will definitely stay here again!

• Superior King Room

I suggest in the ladies room (downstairs for everyone's use) there be a hook to hang ones purse and or other personal bags) -- its a simple thing but ladies do not like to have to put their purse or other personal carry items on the floor of a public restroom!

the room was super clean the bed very comfy and the décor appealing the manager was a super great person and very helpful

Everything was great

The location for this hotel was excellent. The room colors were so relaxing and the bed was extremely comfortable. Loved the chocolate chip cookies just wish they had them out into the later evening it would be s great snack when you get back later in the evening after exploring for the day!

In booking.com site it shows no carpet but it wasn't true that is a false advertising for that reason I wasn't happy .

The breakfast was great the room was ok. but the reason I booked there was in booking.com site it shows no carpet but it wasn't true that is a false advertising for that reason I wasn't happy .

• Queen Garden Room

The only negative is there were only 2 prong outlets in room except the outlet for the microwave. This was a minor inconvenience.

The scope of the continental breakfast was a welcome surprise. The room offered everything you could possibly want.

Unaware when booking that we would be in the annex location rather than the main inn. Check in time of 3 pm most inconvenient when most inns, hotels are 2 pm.

Convenient location. Walking distance to shops, restaurants & Marginal Way. Great view of ocean!

• Superior King Room

We did not get the room we booked, we reserved a room in the east building, we were given a room in the main hotel, we did not have a fridge, coffe maker. When I asked at the front desk the women had no clue, we are very disappointed

Would be nice to offer cold cereal at breakfast

Very nice staff, clean rooms & comfortable beds. Deluxe shower pressure. Stayed on the second floor in the building behind the main inn. Wonderful location to the Marginal Way. Blueberry cake & banana bread were delicious!

Air conditioning not working well. Breakfast room and available tables around living room can't accommodate everyone.

Continental breakfast, location.

Our room was at the end of the hall and the doors naturally slam and are quite noisy. Suggest a silencer hinge to prevent this. Would have liked a little more protein offered at breakfast -- maybe eggs each day. We did not find an ice machine or ice bucket in the room while we were there, so cold drinks were limited to the water in the lobby, but we managed.

Room was very comfortable with lovely decor. Breakfast was unique and quite nice with a selection of pastries, yogurts, fruit and granola. There were hard boiled eggs one of the days, but not every day. The cookies and muffins in the lobby throughout the day were a very nice treat! All in all it was a home away from home with the most comfortable bed and wonderful shower. the flowers, porch and lobby were so inviting and really gave a sense of leisure from the minute we walked in. We really did enjoy the Colonial Inn and would definitely recommend it to our friends.

The location was ideal to Perkin's Cove, Marginal Way and Downtown. The continental breakfast was excellent and the bed was so comfy. My room was kept very clean and the staff left me a towel sculpture. I can't wait to go back to The Colonial Inn.

• King Garden Room

I would have like our coffee pot cleaned. Every day we would leave it in a conspicuous place, but would return to it in the same place not cleaned.

The bed was sooooooo comfortable and the pillows were soft.

The breakfast is ok. The only hot item is toast and the toaster doesn't toast very fast so the guests wait quite awhile for the only hot item. Also on our first morning the food was inconsistant arriving as half an hour after we had been there and finished eating, the fruit and hard boiled eggs arrived. Also the fruit was a few pieces on a plate so if you weren't there first you were out of luck.

Everything was very good. The property was really beautiful and the location was prime to all the shops and beach. The room was very pretty and the cleanliness was excellent. It's an older renovated building so the floors creak alot.

It's a little pricey for 2 people in a standard king, even for the summer, and with a healthy budget. Offer a better selection for your continental breakfast. It's a bonus, but the options are limited. This was a disappointment for the price of the room.

Great location, plenty of amenities, very clean rooms, comfortable beds, staff was friendly and accommodating.

There was no refrigerator in the room. For Ogunquit, Maine, this has become a common feature of many hotel/motel rooms.

The bed was very comfortable. The facility was very clean.

• Guest House 502

In our room :Guest House 502, I wish there was also a TV in the living area rather than the bedroom. I don't think that the electric fireplace threw off heat. Other than that it was a wonderful stay.

The bed was out of this world comfy. So close to the activities in town and to get to the beach or Perkins Cove. Loved having breakfast outside every morning.

Walls seem to be very thin and could hear people walking around in their rooms; and especially hear the showers going -- woke us up in the morning; other than that, I can't say there was anything else I didn't like.

Staff were extremely friendly; location is excellent -- can walk into town; walk to Perkins Cove; walk to beach....perfect! 5 minute drive to Oguinquit Playhouse; Very clean; breakfast was your average continental breakfast; porch was comfortable and relaxing!

• Superior King Room

We didn't have a mini fridge in our room in the main building. We had to bring a cooler to keep bottles of water cool and refill with ice.

The rooms were freshly renovated and very clean. Coffee and freshly baked cookies available throughout the day and continental breakfast included in cost of room.

Needed a better mirror and lighting option for getting ready. I traveled with two of my kids and a friend in their twenties. Hard rotating shower time and putting on makeup in the room. Mirror over dresser had no light. Bathroom small with no counter space.

The breakfast was ok, but it was the same everyday. Would have been nice to have hot eggs or waffles. Hard boiled eggs were fine and the croissants were the best option.

No direct access to the beach.

Liked that the trolley stop was outside the inn. We didn't have to use our car our entire stay. Centrally located, close to Marginal Way, downtown, where there were shops and restaurants and Perkins Cove. Cute beach town. Room was very clean and attractve (beach theme).

Being on the main floor. The pool wasn't always clean.

Excellent location! We walked to the beach, to the downtown area, to Perkins Cove...wonderful with the kids. Would go back to the same hotel.

• King Garden Room

The cleaning service didn't leave fresh coffee and cups or clean the coffee maker every day - contintential breakfast options were fair

The staff was great, location was great - the room was very big and the bed/pillows were extremely comfortable - great water pressure and the hot water was great too!

My only disappointment was no mini fridge in the main house rooms.

Very comfortable and clean with ample places to sit inside and out- loved the wraparound porch. Beautiful pool and jacuzzi, great continental breakfast and a super friendly stafff and great location!

Only criticism I made was our room only had one chair for two guests.

Great location. Staff was excellent. Our room was clean and comfortable. Chocolate chip cookies were the best.

• King Garden Room

Hmmm-I am coming up empty. Truly cannot find a problem here.

Perfection truly! The bed was so comfortable that I took a picture of the mattrass tag-I may have to buy the same bed! The property is quaint and totally renovated without destroying the historic details. Hanging baskets of flowers are bountiful, and it is so pleasant to sit on the skirting porch and relax. The staff is lovely! The quaint trolley stops out front of the property and goes everywhere in town and all the way to Wells, Maine for $2. The Marginal Way is behind the property. The bathrooms are clean and fixtures updated with wonderful showerheads. The continental breakfast is simple but adequate. Good coffee is provided and homemade baked goods for the indulgers. Fresh fruit, yogurt, hard-boied eggs, and granola are also offered. This is our second year, and we will go back again. Everything is within walking distance, and the playhouse tickets are discounted if you book at the front desk of this Inn.

• Superior King Room

If they could move the ocean so we could have a view it would be appreciated.

I have stayed here before and love it. Room is great, breakfast better than most and proximity to the beach is easy.

• King Garden Room

I didn't know we were located on the second floor so the long staircase was unexpected for ladies with knee problems. The bathroom could have a clothesline for hanging up wet suits and towels to dry. Only the shower curtain rod and the actual shower head was available.

Wonderful complimentary breakfast.....I suggest ready to eat fruit like strawberries to go with the oatmeal. I love the pool to relax in before going to bed. King size bed was like sleeping on a cloud!!!

Nothing really

the only drawback was the view from the room- The street and parking lot - However we were seldom in the room(except to sleep) so it really didn't matter. Fresh muffins, rolls etc. were great!

Picturesque New England Charm! Honestly it was so cute, the room, the porch, the common areas, all delightful. Ogunquit was also charming. A must stay!

• Queen Garden Room

Breakfast variety. Dishes were good and plentiful but after a couple of days could have done with some variety.

Position within resort. Room size very good

The bathrooms were a little dirty around the baseboards. Anytime someone took a shower the fire alarm went off even with the fan on.

The beds were very confortable

Maybe an umbrella over the pool table

The warm chocolate chip cookies were a hit from my five year old granddaughter and Grammie. Very family friendly, perfect family destination.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

I was hoping the breakfast options would include bacon and real mugs (vice paper) to use on the beautiful porch. Not exactly a negative because the coffee was still delicious and there were a few healthy options like fruit, yogurt, and hard boiled eggs next to all those freshly baked muffins/scones.

I loved the staff, location, and the ocean view room! The room was well appointed and spacious and that wrap around porch gave me life goals! The staff is truly what made my stay glorious. When I checked in they helped me book evening entertainment, lent me an umbrella, provided a ton of info, 24 hours, and were very friendly.

• King Garden Room

The breakfast wasn't great. The hard boiled eggs were very undercooked and the granola looked odd. Bread items were ok.

It was walking distance to the beach and downtown.

We were on the first floor and stairwell to the upstairs was next to our room so very noisy. Child above us ran constantly waking us daily. If there was a vanity in the bathroom it would have been a nice addition.

Breakfast was good, staff was great. Daily maid service was great.

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Pool was plain but room more than made up for it.

View amazing! View of ocean from comfy bed! Could open windows for ocean breeze. Nice new bathroom. Great location.

• King Garden Room

Price could be lower, I usually come before they go up to high, stayed in the same building early June price much higher than last time.

Great location, you could walk to everything. Very clean and love the decor. Pool was great, breakfast was fine.

Good continental breakfast, but the breakfast room is a bit cramped. Furniture may be a little too big for the space.

Excellent location. You can walk to town, the beach or Perkins Cove from this location.

• King Garden Room

The chords we put in one of the outlets in the hotel room fell out. The internet service worked at first, but then stopped.

The breakfast was fantastic and homemade.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Superior King Room with Ocean View

Nothing to complain about. It is a well updated older property with very good staff. ...people who want it to be a Hyatt 4 star resort should go to a Hyatt 4 star resort.

The staff was very nice to us and helpful. It's a well updated older property, and it is in the best Ogunquit location. Philip was an excellent concierge. It's got a little Victorian time warp feel to and it's comfortable. Very clean.Walk everywhere. "That Place" (that is its name) was a 10 minute walk away, the food and staff was excellent.. have a Bleu cheese chop salad and the filet mignon.

• Superior King Room

The doors (both of the bedrooms and stairway exit) make a REALLY loud bang when they close, so we were woken up every day (sometimes as early as 6:15, 6:30 - not good when you're trying to rest on your vacation) to the sound of people slamming the doors shut. We were on the second floor of the main building and you can hear people talking on the porch and pushing chairs around on the wooden deck. If you're looking for a quiet hotel, there are probably better options.

The location is excellent, close to the beach and main restaurants and shops. The rooms are very well designed and the bed is fantastic! Breakfast was really good too.

• Reviewed: 15 June 2017

The building is definitely old in the sense that the elevator was a little "sketchy" and the floors are really crooked, the hallways on the second floor was like walking in a fun house. My husband and I were laughing because by the time we got to our room we always felt like we were "falling" hence the fun house reference. But it makes for a funny memory!

The staff was very friendly! The room was really cozy and the bed was so soft! The bathroom was huge! It was really cute especially for the price! Can't beat it especially in Ogunquit.

Browse Colonial Inn traveller photo gallery