Reviews of The Cove Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member 3 stars

200 E Willow Street, Long Beach, CA 90806, USA

#23 of 60 hotels in Long Beach

The parking fee aside - we had a very good stay. The staff was very helpful and most pleasant.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

We stayed for three nights. I was put off by the $30 parking charge ($10) per night. It seems like an unnecessary (and annoying) add-on. I know hotels are trying to make a 'go' of it. But cost-per-stay was an attractive element in chosing your hotel. Then, at check-in, to find it's $30 more - for parking? Annoying...

The staff was great: helpful, pleasant and efficient. The room was nicely appointed, clean, and the bed very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

The hotel itself is great - the room was big and the bed was...
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The one thing I would be aware of is that this is in a bad area. We had no idea that there was the Shoreline Village area, we probably should have stayed closer to the beach.

The hotel itself is great - the room was big and the bed was extremely comfortable.

Modern, clean hotel with a cozy athmosphere and very helpful...
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The location of the hotel is a little off

Modern, clean hotel with a cozy athmosphere and very helpful staff. The pool area and light breakfast are great!

You Will Be Surprised and Pleased
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

This place is a hidden gem. It is a perfect place for a staycation for folks in town and escape for folks from out of town. It is a resort without the beach.

EVERYTHING:: clean rooms, awesome staff and management, close to transit, and a number of food places within walking distance.

I loved that the property was clean and once inside you...
    • King Junior Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

I didn’t like the fact that it was non smoking throughout the entire facility

I loved that the property was clean and once inside you didn’t know if you were in Long Beach or Cancun

Great room, pool, customer service was great.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was a little sparse, could have more variety, needs a hot tub/jacuzzi

Great room, pool, customer service was great. Loved the shower and claw foot tub. Thanks for the champagne upon arrival!!!

totally would go back and recommend!!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was alright, but very smallish (I didn't really eat just had coffee which was ok) booking.com said there was on on-site coffee shop (notsomuch), neighborhood was kinda iffy tho I did trek to the Albertson's across the street. And drove in circles around property looking for the office...for an embarrassing amount of time.

room was spectacular, clean, no weird smells, super quiet. OMGOSH the shower....rainfall with plenty of water pressure AND a shower wand...LOVED that. Bartender Jonathan was super friendly, made up a special cocktail for my niece, so if you go as Jonathan for an "Angry Velvet". Sweet, happy, intelligent man! Stephanie the Important Lady was sweet ad smiley, and we got Buono Pizza delivered no probs to the bar :)

It was fine.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

As a handicapped person, we could have been closer to the elevator or front door. It was hard to go to the farthest side of the building and upstairs to our room.

This was a nice hotel, nice rooms, and nice pool.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Terrible customer service from the black lady in the front. She seemed like she didn’t want to be there. We reserved a top floor room and she gave us a bottom and said “well you can’t always get what you request” when the hotel was clearly empty. not worth it for $180 a night.

This was a nice hotel, nice rooms, and nice pool.

Amazing stay!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

There’s isn’t anything in particular I didn’t like just a few tips in order to tie up presentation, delivery and flexibility. Room: Housekeeping should paying attention to detail; There was some hair left in the shower floor (not a big deal breaker but would appreciate it not being there) making sure all amenities are in the room (didn’t have a telephone in our room) Staff: To me it seemed that there was just below minimal staff on the property. Had called for extra towels and the person at the front desk couldn’t leave to deliver towels due to being the only person in the front. Following through with notify guest if the room available for early check in. Staff member forgot to contact me to let me know the room was ready for early check in. It worked out in the end since my bf and I occupied ourselves up till check in time since we weren’t contacted. These weren’t deal breakers but improvement would be greatly appreciated.

Amazing stay!!!! What made this such an amazing stay was the comfort of the bed! I swear it felt like sleeping on clouds/marshmallows/cotton balls etc The comfort of the bed was beyond amazing and so were the pillows. I wanted to take the bed with me lol Property: It’s well maintained and it looks exactly like the pictures provided. Very modern chic.Has various exits and entries depending on where your room is located. Parking: Plenty of parking on the premises Staff: They were great and welcoming! Smooth check in and check out! Gave us our privacy. Allowed us to park on property before checking in to explore Long Beach. Breakfast: Complementary breakfast was served; donuts, hot oatmeal, juice (apple and orange) coffee, fruit, yogurt, bread, jelly, and hard boiled eggs. Simple but nice and satisfying. Room: Great presentation! Loved the colors and decor. Plenty of space all around. How I previously mentioned the bed was beyond comfortable! 98% clean (few hair left in the shower floor but I just washed it away no biggie) Location: It’s located in an area with a lot of fast food places, stores such as cvs, rite aid. Also residential area behind hotel so you’ll see houses and cars parked on the street. Uber drive from here to downtown Long Beach is 10 minutes. I would suggest Ubering since parking is a bit of a hassle. I will back here again whenever in the Long Beach area.

It was pleasant
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Sold out of happy hour items also friend was compensated for a drink and I wasn’t and I’m the one paying for the hotel

I liked the breakfast that was offered.

excellent stay
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

we where next to the installation that moved the elevator- which was noisy

very clean and spacious room; modern renovated ; great deckchairs with padded cushions around the swimming pool; ;ovely garden - some rooms have balcony or terras; excellent beds with very soft bedcloth and the location was perfect for us. Abuot 30 km to the car rental and airport

My daughter and I were in the area to look for a place to...
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

My daughter and I were in the area to look for a place to live for her new job in Long Beach. This hotel exceeded our expectations for the price. It was clean, modern and very stylishly decorated as the photos indicated. Our room was spacious and comfortable. With a free breakfast which they clearly stated was continental but included hard boiled eggs, yogurt and granola in addition to the expected toast and donuts and fruit, free WiFi, $10 parking which was waived and very friendly staff, it was perfect for our needs. Even after check out we remained in the lobby drinking coffee and taking advantage of the internet while we completed our business. The pool and courtyard area looked lovely but we did not have time to take advantage of it. I'm not sure about the neighborhood where the hotel is located, but the hotel itself felt like a safe and comfortable Oasis. I highly recommend it to Long Beach Visitors traveling with a car.

Best Stay for a Holiday, Birthday or Getaway
    • King Room - Non-Smoking - Pool View

I didn't get to stay longer! We had a little incident which was quickly rectified! So therefore, there was Nothing I didn't like.

Everything was awesome! From customer service to happy hour to the room. The layout was so relaxing and made you feel at home on the beach. Definitely staying again!

The room was amazing l, honestly one of the best
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The only thing we didn’t like but we understand is that there was only one person checking in it took some time.

I loved everything about the property from the moment we walked in, its super nice and just absolutely loved it.

Everything was perfect.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Don’t think there was anything that I didn’t like.

Everything was perfect. The staff made sure we had the best time, especially Sanjay. I liked that the hotel was near a lot of restaurants and convenient stores so we didn’t have to pay to Uber around the city. The ends were comfy, the rooms were clean, and the shower was amazing. Definitely have to get one of those for my house.

Great location!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The complimentary breakfast was lackluster. Maybe try adding small boxed cereals with milk. Also add different flavor coffee creamers. Maybe a waffle maker. In order for a customer to appreciate what is being offered- there should be an effective effort made by the hotel to provide a decent complimentary breakfast. Or don’t provide. Also the mattress was lumpy, I kept rolling to the center. Nothing life challenging but if it’s comfort you are providing, make it worth the customers while.

Great location! Friendly staff. Prompt service and allowed early check in.

Awesome stay at a beautiful hotel. Very reasonably priced, friendly staff.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The only thing I didn't like was my view. I did request a pool view, but I totally understand they can accommodate what they can...but the view didn't stop me from enjoying my stay.

Being a very cleanly person myself, that was the first thing i checked for. From outside of the property to inside all the way into my room. Very clean & neat & well put together.The comfort of the beds were amazing, talk about a goodnight sleep.Can we talk about the shower though...let's just say I didn't want to get out l.o.l. The staff was very friendly, always greeted us upon entry & exiting the hotel & made sure our stay was going great & I appreciate that. Overall, we enjoyed our stay & will be back.

Beautiful hotel. Very friendly courteous staff. Great location, near everything.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Practically everything. The rooms were exactly as shown on the website. The layout of the room, the bathroom was like a spa. It was like checking into a resort. Not your typically "stand at the counter" process.

One night in paradise.

I have No complaints

The hotel staff was friendly and courteous. My girlfriend and I stayed the night for prom and they understood the circumstances and helped us have he most perfect night with very little stress. I will definitely be back!!!

I wasn’t expecting the hotel to be that nice as the price...

I wasn’t expecting the hotel to be that nice as the price wasn’t too high but I loved the place! Very nicely decorated and maintained. Would definitely come back

Hotel was very clean and nicely decorated.
    • King Room - Non-Smoking - Pool View

The pool was not well heated.

Hotel was very clean and nicely decorated. Front staff was also very friendly and welcoming. Shower was perfect and the beds were comfortable.

It was a nice clean hotel with lots of nearby businesses.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The room was too expensive. I didn't understand why until the staff told me that it was because of the Grand prix that was in town. So, I didn't like having to pay those high prices for some event that I wasn't participating in.

The room was nice.

The room was neat and clean.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

They’re in the process of remodeling and have blocked an exit during our visit, so getting in and out of the parking lot was difficult.

The room was neat and clean. Staff was very courteous and engaging.

The hotel is newly remodeled and absolutely beautiful.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel is newly remodeled and absolutely beautiful. There’s a fire pit out by the Pool and just a great place. The staff was all extremely helpful and friendly. Definitely will stay here again.

Not restful.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I was given a room above some remodeling being done and they started just after 7:00 a.m. I was awakened by hammering and yelling in Spanish.

Excellent staff and customer service.

Staff was very nice.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

They are still remodeling this hotel and there wasn't much of a breakfast option.

Staff was very nice. Rooms were very updated and a pleasant to stay in.

It was a wonderful experience. And I look forward to revisiting very soon 😊
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast. I wished it was a little more to choose from. The eggs were cold but overall this was one of the best hotels I stayed in.

We love that the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff were beautiful people with ve beautiful attitudes. When there was a problem with our bathroom they were on it and fixed it very quickly with a smile. I would come back over and over again and I would recommend my family and friends to visit ur hotel. I felt right at home 🏡

Amazing and very comfy.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

The hotel at the time was under construction so we are eager for that

The staff overall were super friendly and made us feel welcome we will definitely be coming back.

I loved the set up of the room it was very nice, the bed was...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

That my room was facing a bunch of houses

I loved the set up of the room it was very nice, the bed was comfortable, I wish I had a view of the pool an a balcony but I will be staying here again

I enjoyed my stay and I’m looking forward to staying here again.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

This property is still under construction. Hotel staff indicated it will be completed by spring. The elevators are not working yet and breakfast consists of yogurt, juice, individually wrapped danish, apples and oranges.

With the remodel of this property the rooms are spacious, newly decorated and very comfortable. Definitely appreciated the free WiFi with Directv. Staff are friendly and efficient.

Overall, it was a great hotel, considering the pool was closed for construction.
    • Business King Room - Non Smoking

I didn't like how when I first walked into the room right after I checked in, the room was extremely hot and took a while to cool down after the AC was turned on.

I liked how we had a private balcony. I also liked the continental breakfast.

!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

We did not stay at this hotel. It was under complete construction with even the windows being boarded up! It had no elevator, and no luggage carts, I felt that we and my car were not safe.

!

• Reviewed: 14 April 2017

Nightmare on Elm Street

Under construction, in horrible condition. Odor in room gave both of us a headache and made us itchy. Misadvertised as to proximity to the convention center. Very disappointed, staff not helpful. Have stayed a lots of Comort Inns, but this a nightmare!!!

• Reviewed: 6 April 2017

Nice Continental Breakfast.

Major renovations and construction going on, however, no inconvenience. Work should be done by end of April.

Nice Continental Breakfast. Large rooms with windows opening onto the pool area.

• Reviewed: 28 March 2017

Hazard Zone!
    • Business King Room - Non Smoking

The value--overpriced! Also, even though we knew it was under construction, the place is a safety hazard right now. Amenities are not available because the entire pool area is ripped apart. No alternate amenities for what we paid. My friends were in Ana adjoining room and met with the unfortunate experience of having their belongings rifled through and medicine stolen.

Quiet atmosphere

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Run!!! This is Hotel Hell exclamation

The information said there could be construction it did not say that it was totally being torn apart. We had to maneuver around construction materials and even had to be moved from our room due to a sewage smell! It is not only unsafe but unsanitary period I wish I could get my money back... If booking.com could arrange that it would be amazing. This place needs to be taken off your listing.

This was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed at exclamation point I will never ever stay there again.

Wait until Construction is over.

The grounds are under full construction. It looks like a war zone with deep trenches, yellow tape and piles of dirt. We could not get to the pool. The night staff also charged the full amount on our card even though we specifially said it was just to hold the room and that we would pay cash. The flooring between floors is paper thin. We were kept up all night by the sound of the upstairs guests (there were several families with young children) running around.

Breakfast had a decent selection for a continental breakfast. The room had a full size fridge and it was nice having shutters instead of curtains.

Terrible experience would not return

Property is currently being renovated and was very unsightly and in some cases actually hazardous to navigate through. I took my grandchildren there and had to closely monitor them so they didn't get hurt

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

Very dissappointing new year eve weekend

The building, everything not finished. The garden had ground removed. The photos don't match with what we really find there. Bad neighborhood, bad state doors, cheap wood floor, also wet when it rains. We paid 435$ for 3 nights, two people. Really, very dissappointed. I couldn't take another hotel because there wasn't any other avaiable, otherwise I would move on from there.

Short and sweet and cheap!
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Not the hotel's fault - other guests were very noisy and inconsiderate.

The breakfast was terrific and the staff was very helpful and nice. The room was comfortable and the location easy to get to and also has a lot of stores/restaurants around the area.

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

Great Location, Nice Hotel

We had some concerns when we drove in and found the outside of the hotel undergoing a facelift. Not a good first impression. No problem! Rhonda at the front desk quickly put our worry to rest and had our big family checked into all five rooms in no time at all. The rooms were clean, quiet, and comfortable. We enjoyed the pool and the breakfast was good. The staff was helpful and accommodating. Great experience, beginning to end.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

Under renovation, but REALLY NICE

Hotel is under renovation while they are open, but what can you do in a situation like that - eventually it'll be a REALLY nice hotel.

While the hotel is under renovation, I found the rooms to be REAL clean and nice. They have a GREAT breakfast there and the staff is very friendly. I would stay there again without any hesitation.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Free Wi-Fi and breakfast

The location was less than preferable. I didn't know when we booked the hotel that they were going through renovations. Because of the construction there wasn't much parking.

The continental breakfast was delicious.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Nice staff
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the fact that I paid for a king suite so I could have the let out couch for an extra sleeping area and I only had a standard king room, although they refunded the extra $15 back to my card I still would have liked the room I booked.

I like the customer service I receive especially by Rhonda at the front desk! The room was very clean and organized.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

Our go to place in Long Beach
    • King Suite - Non-Smoking

Having more packets of regular coffee in the room and fresh brewed coffee in the breakfast room.

The bed was very comfortable and we liked having our room near the front desk. We also liked having a lot of outlets that were easy to reach.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2016

Good value, convenient neighborhood
    • Business King Room - Non Smoking

The room had a weird damp smell - probably due to poor ventilation in the bathroom. The toilet was really close to the wall, which made using the facilites a little awkward. The tv remote didnt provide much function, and seemed to not belong to the electronics in our room.

The room was nice - comfy bed, good amenities. I especially enjoyed the little balcony. It was a perfect place to enjoy the complimentary breakfast. The staff was really friendly and made checking in and out very easy. The location is good too - downtown Long Beach is just minutes away and so is the beach. But there are also enty of great restaurants and shops within walking distance.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

good price

They were under construction/renovation which was little too messy and wasn't too pleasant.

Clean and roomy rooms. Reasonable breakfast and very good price for waht it's worth.

• Reviewed: 22 September 2016

Lots of variety.

Remolding bldg. Only one entry into locked complex, although the parking circled the entire bldg. Ling walk if you didn't get parking in front.

Lots of variety.

Perfect beds
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Perfect beds Nice and clean rooms

The Breakfast should include more items

The Breakfast should include more items

On the inside the property was nice.

In a sketchy area

On the inside the property was nice.

Close to grocery stores.
    • King Junior Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

Wish I could have stayed longer!

Close to grocery stores. Easy access for parking. Clean. Nice Pool

It's a nice hotel, very clean and comfortable. Pool area was nice and the the happy hour was great!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Location could have been better

Nice rooms, nice pool

Location was very close to many attractions and stores

I would have liked to have a full breakfast.

Location was very close to many attractions and stores

Awesome staff!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Awesome staff! Marie was really helpful and friendly!! Really loved our stay here will defiantly be back next year.

Sanjay was the absolute best!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Sanjay was the absolute best!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2018

Room and bathroom were very clean.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Room and bathroom were very clean. Bartender Stephanie (I’m pretty sure that’s her name) was very nice and made tasty Mojitos

Wonderful!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

This property exceeded our expectations for the price and the staff was super friendly and accommodating.

Amazing
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the complementary breakfast. There was so little options

I liked how comfortable our room was amd how amaing it looked

Hotel Bar was only open til 9

Great location. Clean and good vibes. Awesome pool with relaxing areas to soak up sun. Big rooms. Nice staff.

No water available for purchase

No water available for purchase

Enjoyable
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Everything was what up to Expectations

Up to Expectations!

Loved it.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Very clean room and property.

Would definitely come back.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Modern and clean atmosphere. Friendly & helpful staff.

Excellent Weekend

Bar should be 24 hours

Interior decor and cleanliness

Relaxing
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

Ambiance relaxing love the stairs

Beautiful room, location of room in a horrible spot room #116
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Our room was by a metal outside door, all night and day we heard it slamming shut shaking the room, we were unable to sleep room #116

Bottled water, vending machine or snack stand.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Bottled water, vending machine or snack stand.

Served me champage at check in
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Non-Smoking

all the construction. Had to call to find the lobby

Served me champage at check in

Parking was terrible due to construction

Parking was terrible due to construction

Great staff and gorgeous rooms!
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

Great staff and gorgeous rooms!

No gym.
    • Deluxe King Room - Non-Smoking

No gym. Mattress too soft. All other aspects were great.

It was relaxing
    • King Junior Suite with Sofa Bed - Non-Smoking

When using the rest room lock in room 224 we got locked in twice No parking 1 of the power outlets in the bathroom did not work