Reviews of The Desmond Hotel Albany 3 stars

660 Albany Shaker Road, Albany, NY 12211, USA

#13 of 40 hotels in Albany

Pleasant, comfortable, old-fashioned atmosphere.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Would have appreciated some vegetarian options on dinner menu.

Traveled with elderly relatives, who loved the surroundings for indoor walks. Indoor pool was clean and uncrowded.

I will be returning to Albany often and can't imagine staying anywhere else.
    • Superior King Room

Nothing. The hotel exceeded expectations and was a very good value for the money.

The staff were very cordial and helpful. The room was large, quiet and clean. The breakfasts were excellent and a good value for the money.

For the price wasn’t that impressed with the room- it was dated & could have used some renovations
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

The walk from the desk to the room was as far as you could get & my husband has a back issue & was in pain by the time we reached our room. Room 275

Convenient and comfortable business travel hotel.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The only comment is that I am a business traveler and there are never enough outlets to charge my laptop, iphone, ipad etc.. I always have to get behind furniture to plug in my accessories which means I have to unplug lamps and clocks.

The rooms and beds are clean and comfortable. The staff is very nice. Room service is very good and fast. I very much appreciate that the shuttle is 24/hours because I always need to be at the airport by 5 AM. Most hotels don't start their shuttles until 6, which is too late for me if my flights are at 6:30 am.

Too noisy in the hallways and could not sleep. Probably would not stay there again for an early flig
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

We had booked the room with park and fly but when we got there they told us they do not offer the park and fly through a third-party.

The location was right near Albany airport With a 24 hour shuttle. However the pricing is different if you booked through booking.com. You do not get the parking fly.

Great location near airport; great early American motif; but, hotel needs a major renovation.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Hotel is getting long in the tooth and in need of major renovation; especially the guest rooms. The parking is bad when events are going on; as was the case during my stay. The noisy courtyard events are a nuisance for guests not attending these events.

Like the early American character and fireplace in the lobby. The bar/restaurant is nice with good staff. New England clam chowder is always great!

Home-feel, nice and cozy after a long business week with convenience to airport.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I am a business traveler. Convenient/ extra plugs would be very helpful. Also, the WiFi was inconsistent and kept dropping me.

The front desk team was very friendly and accommodating.

It was decent, a bit overpriced for the lack of amenities
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel is a bit unkept. The style is beautiful, but could use a fresh cog of paint, new carpeting and updated showers. The pool area could use a facelift, as well.

Very nice restaurants, the courtyard is beautiful.

Great room, location, and pool area. We'd recommend this hotel to a friend
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I had requested close to the pool and it didn't happen.

We came for the pool and it was great. The bed was comfortable and the room was quite. I was also able to do early check in which was great.

Would stay again only because of park and fly.
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

Check in was not friendly and I asked about the park and fly if I needed to do something with the car special was told no. But the next morning I asked again and was told I needed a parking permit. Thank god I asked who knows if my car would have been towed. Clean but not comfy beds need to be upgraded for the prices they ask. Restaurants are pricey for what is offered.

Park and fly option is the only thing that keeps me going back...

Pretty good...
    • Superior King Room

The room would have been cheaper if I’d have just showed up and paid and they didn’t offer a matching price...

It was festive and as expected, allowed my service dog...

Walked through the inner courtyard and had a room over the...
    • Superior King Room

Paying for the pool table. Gorgeous game room but no games!

Walked through the inner courtyard and had a room over the koi pond and listened to the sound of the fountain all night. Very relaxing and enjoyed walking through the gardens and forgetting it’s cold outside!

Good for an overnight stay.
    • Superior King Room

The pool area could do with some improvements , including the spa which wasn't working.

Room was comfortable & within close drive of various restaurants & the city centre. Plenty of safe parking & very good security access to the hotel. Despite there being 4 weddings in the hotel on the night we stayed , the room was very quiet & the lady at reception was very organised & there were no delays checking in or out.

Great location and friendly staff.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room and bathroom was a bit dated. It would have been nice to see the bathroom with newer fixtures and a shower curtain that didn't cling to one's body when showering. I did not call the front desk, but it would have been nice to have other guests be mindful of other guests at 2am. 3 different times we were bothered with talking, shouting and loud laughing up and down the halls.

The hotel was quite unique with the large koi pond in the middle of the hotel and to have the hotel resemble a New England town.

Well was staying in if you're in the area
    • Superior King Room

We liked the uniqueness of a family-owned Hotel. The restaurant attached to the hotel was very good and we had a nice meal there. The room was very comfortable and clean.

The Staff was pleasant and joking with us throughout our...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I didn't like that the on-line price on Booking.com was only for the first night. It was an additional $30 for the 2nd night. That was no fault of the hotel but I was still surprised when I got the bill.

The Staff was pleasant and joking with us throughout our stay. They answered any questions and always greeted us with a genuine smile. I stayed there for business about 10 years ago and was impressed with the hotel. I am glad to say that their standards have remained high.

Great discovery for future road trips.
    • Superior King Room

Food in the pub was good, but service—while friendly—was glacially slow. Also, the bartender kept disappearing for long stretches and even when present would often not make eye contact so as not to have to take an order.

Loved the quirky, vaguely Colonial-era design of the main, jungle-like atrium (kids loved the massive coi in the fountain's pond). Genuinely friendly staff, and extremely comfortable room. Even with two weddings to juggle, the staff did not overlook our family of four. Also, Professor Java's Coffee Sanctuary around the corner was great for breakfast.

took a quick overnight "staycation" to Saratoga.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast included in price; fresh coffee available throughout the day

Walking through the courtyard while it was pouring rain and not getting wet! Historic displays and authentic feel gave it good ambiance. I think it must be a great event space. Breakfast was good, although a little pricey. Coffee was very good.

We've stayed at another Desmond Hotel in Malvern, PA, and found the Desmond Albany to be even better
    • Superior King Room

Hotel is close to Albany International Airport, and the sound of airplanes taking off does detract from the image within the hotel. Room looked out on an indoor courtyard, so couldn't see outside.

The size of the hotel, and the fact it's divided into little communities. Navigation through the hotel became an adventure, but signs made it possible.

awsome everything
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

we liked everything no complaints

this place goes out of there way to make you feel great. the sfaff was so friendly I would stay there again clean and food was just awesome this is a top rate hotel

We like the hotel.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We like the hotel. The room is extremely clean. The bed was comfortable. The staff there are very friendly. If we visit Albany again, I will book the hotel again.

Photos imply charming, Reality is very large mass production.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I needed to book rooms quickly off a phone as our travel plans had changed and I didn't look closely enough at the details of the size but used the photos. The photos depict a charming With lovely old style furnishings, in reality it was a gigantic, noisy, busy place. If I hadn't prepaid I would have turned and left. The staff at the desk w snarky w the man in front of me and short when I called later from the room for a request. The rooms were nice enough, clean, standard large hotel, none of the charming furniture shown in photos. It is also very close to the airport in the land of strip malls and chain food only. We didn't eat there as it was loud and crowded everywhere outside of our 2 rooms.

Recommend!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We could have used better dining suggestions from front desk staff, particularly for locally owned restaurants, not chains.

The room was very comfortable. We loved the ability to open the window and the breakfast was excellent.

Comfortable and convenient, could use updates.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I always get a room extremely far from the lobby. The staff is okay but could be more friendly. The beds were a little hard and for business travelers, it would be helpful to have more outlets by the bed for phones, ipads etc. I guess the hotel can use a 'technology update'. But the wifi connection did work fine and I do appreciate that.

the transportation from the airport to the hotel is very helpful.

Top notch staff!
    • Superior King Room

Dusting needed a bit more and warmer comforter or top Bedding blanket

Staff was helpful and caring. Event food was delicious and quick ride (free shuttle) away from the mall and airport.

Amazing Stay, Adorable hotel and spotlessly clean
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The lack of pillows. Our room had exactly 4 and when we asked for more we were told that they were booked to capacity and didn't have any. Not really a big deal but two more would have been nice.

We traveled to Albany for a Lacrosse Tournament. Most hotels were booked. We found the Desmond Albany and booked because the reviews were great. Well it even exceeded our expectations. Not only was it spotlessly clean but it was so quaint. We felt like we were at a theme park hotel from the colonial times. Rooms were a great size, spotlessly clean and comfortable. We will definitely be using them again next time.

Poor Customer Service
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was 90+ degrees out and the shuttle had no air conditioning, however the heat was on full blast. It was obviously broken. At check-in, the clerk asked me 'why' i used Booking.com and it made me very uncomfortable. I tried to call room service and could not get through for over half an hour. the front desk couldn't even get a response. so i walked to the restaurant. not very many people there. the waitress was not pleasant. I just think there is very poor customer service. No one seemed to even try to be helpful. This is definitely NOT The Desmond standard.

The rooms were very comfortable and I like the quaint decor.

Definitely will be returning
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

My family had both breakfast for Mothers day and lunch the following day and both were amazing. The property is romantic and makes you not want to leave the property at all. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Other than noise early on due to room location, all was very acceptable
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

He placed us in a room directly above convention breakfast are so very noisy early am after a very short nights sleep that didn't begin until after 4 am.

A comfortable, clean bed and room at 3 am arrival from plane delay. Clerk very friendly and accommodating.

• Reviewed: 12 April 2017

Excellent place to stay!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel was immaculate, the beds were comfy, pool/spa area clean and plenty of towels, has a tavern and restaurant and right off interstate. Was pleasantly surprised and will be staying there again.

Room was very comfortable.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Since one of the elevators wasn't working, it was a long way back to the lobby and restaurant. Difficult for my husband who was using a cane.

Room was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 March 2017

Love the airport shuttle
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

They have an airport shuttle that is always available and you can park there during your trip. Makes very early travel much easier as we can drive down the night before, get a good night sleep and have someone else drive us to the airport.

• Reviewed: 18 February 2017

Great location for traveling from Airport on early morning...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Noisy. There are often large groups/company meetings going on at the hotel which makes for a crowded, noisy hotel. We had to come out and ask the others on our floor to be quiet at midnight. They were going between multiple rooms and talking loudly in the hall ways. Every time they open a door they let it slam. Annoying, especially when we had to be up at 4 to catch a 6am flight.

Great location for traveling from Airport on early morning flights. The restaurant and bar are consistently good.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

Great stay
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The indoor pool area was a little colder than I'd have liked, but I'm always cold, so maybe it's just me.

Everyone was very helpful and kind. They went above and beyond to make our stay an enjoyable one.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Nice location, but not worth the money
    • Superior King Room

No refrigerator in the room,the ice maker was very dirty ,and was out of ice. Sheets were to stiff, no fart fan in the bathroom,the public area restroom was not up to a truck stop standard

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

For guest like our parents, but not me
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

- Wlan was very bad in room 259 (I constantly lost reception) - I asked for wake-up call at 6 am , nobody called - No USB charging ports (I find this a standard requirements for nowadays travelers) - The room style including pictures an the wall does not match my style of interior design

Cool concept of house in house

• Reviewed: 2 November 2016

The food for the meeting was excellent, nice fresh desserts.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room smelled musty, the shower could not be turned on, only 2 pillows for each bed, need to wait in line to get a document that shows that you paid for your stay.

The food for the meeting was excellent, nice fresh desserts.

• Reviewed: 14 October 2016

Nice Hotel
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The mattress. Much too soft. Felt as if it had seen better days.

Check in & out very quick and easy. Breakfast severed outstandingly...Great price.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

just say no
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

it looks like we were in the way, the room was cold and no ac or other way to heat it. the crew was m.i.a and we had to leave things in the office and nobody came to give us. dont come here.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Bartender made a drink following a special recipe for me and...
    • Superior King Room

Bartender made a drink following a special recipe for me and was very pleasant. Also enjoyed playing a quick game of pool. It's been years since I'd done that! Room was clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 18 September 2016

Perfect for one night and parking for airport
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The mouse in the dinning room Decor really dated old wall paper and our beds were so squeaky. Room faced the courtyard with music and microphone speeches

Like we can leave our car when we travel. The quick pick iP at the airport. Driver Joe a nice helpful young man

a perfect way to accomodate an engagement weekend - she said yes!
    • Superior King Room

rooms are a little tired - meaning carpets and bathrooms could use a refresh but otherwise everything was great.

location is terrific, staff is very friendly and the hotel is unique in its architecture and how it captures the history of the area

• Reviewed: 5 September 2016

Comfortable, but dated
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel is rather dated, and our room smelled damp. The swimming pool is tiny...really just for kids to splash around. Location is handy for the airport, but a good 15 mins from the centre of Albany.

We received a really nice welcome from Tiffany at reception (in spite of the fact they were dealing with no less than 6 wedding parties that day!). Room was spacious.

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

Disappointed
    • Superior King Room

Sorry put this comment on the other spot..

This was a romantic weekend with my husband . I booked a balcony room with a view , when I checked in I made sure and asked if our room had a balcony .She had confirmed we do have the court view with a Nalcony . Well we had a View of a wall , open the window and BAM a wall to look at . I was also a little disappointed there was no microwave or little Frig in the rooms . We also were woken up every morning with a loud bagging notice at 6:30 am , not sure if it was thd maid service room but make sure when you book here you find out where those rooms are ..

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Impeccable service
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

The service was amazing. Everyone that worked there was very nice and accommodating. The restaurant was great too. Park and fly service is so nice and convenient.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Great, unique hotel near Albany airport
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I love the ambiance of this hotel, with the cute indoor plaza's lit by sunroof, with fountains running. Good breakfast, nice clean room, reasonable price. We used the pool and hot tub, and the temperature was just right.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

great for events rooms need a facelift to match the lobby, common areas and restaurant
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

did not actually stay the night as the room was moldy smelling. even after running the a/c a few hours the moldy smell never went away and it was causing my 70 year old mom breathing problems. also 1/2 the fitness equipment was broken. bathrooms in particular need to be renovated not just a new counter top

the property in terms of exterior, interior of the hotel lobby, common areas, restaurants was great nicely themed. fitness and pool small but worked out

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

Not the usual boring hotel
    • Superior King Room

Very pleasant hotel. Couldn't figure out how to turn jets on in jacuzzi so just enjoyed the warm water after the pool. But Jets would have been nice. Need to replace pool towels a little better. When a big family came in towels were gone in minutes. Loved the bed but for us older and short folks, it was a mite hard to climb into. Also with only two bath towels left in room, had to keep ordering another towel. Girls need minimum one for hair one for body. We enjoyed our stay very much. Thank you. Jackie

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

We enjoyed our stay and our dinner party very much.

No refrigerator in bedroom. No WiFi in bedroom

We had a family dinner party in the Scrimshaw room and everything was perfect. Good to have four rooms together rather than in different areas of the hotel.

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Mixed bag.
    • Superior King Room

We had a suite, bedroom plus sitting area with sofa/bed. The sofa/bed was not made up and there were no sheets, blankets or pillows so the "bed" part was useless. Also the TV set in the sitting room was not working.

Small hotel with good choice of eating establishments.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Will know not to accept room near elevator next time due to dinging of elevator at all hours and constatly. Didn't get a good night's sleep. Would consider these rooms only if they were less expensive and we were told at resv or checkin time about location OR if room was furnished with a white noise machine

Location. 24 hr shuttle. Pool plenty of parking Helpful staff

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

Great place to stay near the Albany Airport
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We needed to get an early start and expected coffee would be somewhere at 6am but were told by cleaning staff that it might be ready at 6:30am.

Location near the Albany Airport was critical when flights were canceled. A shuttle that ran 24 hr a day helped us get an early flight. Room was comfortable and quiet.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Colonial on Acid!
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

The décor is really weird, all ultra colonial. Guess someone must like it??????!!!

Location, my flight was delayed 4 hours (thanks united but that's usual for them) was really tried.

COMFORTABLE AND AS I REMEMBER IT FROM 25 YEARS AGO
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We had to ask for additional supplies of shampoo etc, which were readily provided

The ambience of the hotel and particularly the bar.

Friendly helpful staff, shuttle was awesome

Tavern was too pricey

Friendly helpful staff, shuttle was awesome

It was a nice stay.
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

You could update the hotel. I stayed at your hotel many years ago and it has the same not so attractive wallpaper.

Staff
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Hotel is a maize.. seemed to get lost all the time

Staff

The pillows were very cou.
    • Park & Fly (14 Days Parking)

The pillows were very cou.

Food was delicious!

Food was delicious!

Our stay was short, but we were satisfied with everything.

Everything was excellent.

Pretty rooms and fantastic food!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Pretty rooms and fantastic food!

I was traveling by myself and the cheapest room was a double...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I was traveling by myself and the cheapest room was a double queen bed.

Very enjoyable
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The staff answering questions I had.

Great fun family trip, excellent service, great food.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We loved the pool and room service. Food was delicious!

Beautiful location, great stafg

Beautiful location, great stafg

Pool was toasty warm on a day that was 3 degrees!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Pool was toasty warm on a day that was 3 degrees! Hot tub was huge a a perfect temp! Loved our stay

Adequate.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Pillows were flat and in short supply.

Bed was soft.

It was really nice

Lost my fish box

Really nice

Quality of food in the restaurant
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Soft bed and noise in the middle of the night due to guests from wedding which was organized that day

Quality of food in the restaurant

Seems great place to stay for large parties
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Airport noise. Rooms not very soundproof.

Room service was quick & food delicious.

I do not waiting so long for my debit card to be adjusted...
    • Superior King Room

I do not waiting so long for my debit card to be adjusted for the room rental AND the bill for the restaurant.

Very nice
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Bathroom was a little dated and I noticed dust on the front of cabinet.

Location and amenities.

The three hour ride was hell but I would not have missed it
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The location was near the airport my family was there and my grandauter loved the pool

It was old but elegant I enjoyed it

good

good

It was quiet.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast was not available as early as we needed it.

It was quiet.