Reviews of The Driskill – in the Unbound Collection by Hyatt 4 stars

604 Brazos Street, Austin, TX 78701, USA

#27 of 193 hotels in Austin

Excellent choice
    • Vintage Room

From lobby to rooms your either take two elevators or go up stairs thru bar to second elevator. Minor inconvenience.

Text mesage came in when we arrived at airport, requested early check in. Friendly valet staff took car, checked into room. Beauty historic hotel, rooms very clean. Great happy hour at bar.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

Not great, but super staff.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Wasn't really happy that they oversold the hotel. Moving between hotels was not great

Although they oversold the hotel our first night, they paid for our night in a hotel around the corner plus the valet fees for both nights. The next morning, I asked if they could get us a room as soon as possible so we could take a nap after our early morning appointments, Sidney found me a room about 11:00 AM. Unfortunately we didn't get back to the hotel until after 11PM. When we checked into hotel, the manager saw what a frustrating day I had had and treated me to a glass of wine from the bar. When I got up to the beautiful, well appointed room, there was a bottle of wine from Sidney. The situation wasn't great, but the staff did wonderful job.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Elegant old hotel in the heart of vibrant downtown Austin
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Not very many electrical outlets in the room.

The bar is fantastic! The bathroom is large and spacious. Location is great! The breakfast restaurant was wonderful, full of old features and the food was very good. Newspapers available every day to pick up and read while eating.

Only offered restaurant week menu when advertising original...
    • Vintage Room

Only offered restaurant week menu when advertising original menu I was billed after I left my stay for breakfast that was included had to call for refund and did not receive a apology it was a good job I asked for email receipt

Great overnight for a UT visit with son .
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The parking price of $45 is a bit steep as is charging $8 for a bottle of water in the room .

Beautiful , historic , 5 star quality hotel with true Texas flair . The rooms and baths are spacious and clean while keeping the historical feel . The beds are amazing .

Exceeded Expectations

Having to leave :(

Friendly, helpful, patient staff, The valet was quick, professional, and my personal items untouched. The front desk offered me an upgrade and I'm glad I accepted.

Awsome room but it had a musty smell.

The price. There is a lot of fees and tax on top of the posted rate. Room smelled musty. The fridge has sensors on the items for sale so you could not rearrange to put anything in it.

Beuatiful heritage building. Recommend upgrade. Awesome room for only a few more dollars.

Great place for big city getaway.
    • Vintage Room

Great ambience in historical hotel. Right in middle of downtown - walking distance to Lady Bird trail and Long Center..cafe next door was delicious for breakfast

Perfection!

Everything was perfect!

Took my daughter to Austin for her 13th birthday and she was in aw of this historical landmark. The room was amazing. Beds were very comfy and the location made it easy to navigate Austin.

Lovely hotel in a vibrant city
    • Petite Queen Room

Neighborhood was central and lively, close walking distance to a lot of things but there were a lot of homeless people.

At check in, we were offered an upgrade for only 10 extra a night, I appreciate when upgrades are offered and reasonable. The room was a nice size, bed and bedding were very comfortable. Clean and quiet with AC that was not too noisy.

Historic hotel in heart of downtown, lacking comfort
    • Petite Queen Room

The bedrooms have been updated but the bathrooms must have missed the cut. They're incredibly small and the appliances are outdated. For such a nice bedroom, the bathroom was a big disappointment. The rooms are very small as well. I know it's downtown Austin, but the overnight parking is by far the most expensive in town.

Beautiful, historic hotel in downtown Austin. Great hotel bar. Friendly valet service.

Book now!
    • Petite Queen Room

Everything was great! Location, staff, amenities! Looking forward to my next stay.

Loved the history behind the hotel, the customer service was above excellent and the cleanliness of the room was above any similarly priced hotels. Would have loved a turn down service but that's a personal preference.

Average
    • Deluxe Senate

Rude Hostess- long wait 20-30 mins even though plenty of tables available $45 a night parking is over the top

Great location and very good valet service

One of my favorite places to stay in Austin!
    • Vintage Room

Food and drinks are a little pricey comparatively

One of my favorite places to stay in Austin! Great location, updated yet nostalgic, extremely comfortable rooms!

I had the most amazing weekend in Austin :)
    • Vintage Room

Front desk staff was just so-so.

The staff was so kind and caring . . . particularly the bell staff, the maid and the bartender. The hotel was stunningly beautiful. The rooms were small (as you would expect from a hotel of this age) and reminded me of European style rooms. All in all, a wonderful experience.

June 2018 stay
    • Petite Queen Room

I liked most everything. Rooms are a tad small, to be expected with its age though. Toilet ran all night, but noise cancelling saved us so wasn't an issue

Loved the beautiful details of every piece of it, and elegant Texas charm.

Not worth the money
    • Vintage Room

The elevator to our room was located up a stair case and past the bar which was a bit awkward. Also the room was small and outdated. The bathroom was horrible... and the staff in the hotel was not very friendly or helpful. Over all the hotel seemed on the internet like a Luxury experience but turned out to be a cheap hotel next to all the 6th street bars.

The bar area was very western and had a nice atmosphere.

Delightful and would stay here again in a heartbeat.
    • Vintage Room

Front desk - Veronica in particular - was very helpful with a few hiccups I had along the way. My travel arrangements and meeting schedule changed dramatically and they figured out how to get me checked in much earlier, etc.

We love this place.
    • Vintage Room

The Vintage Rooms are definitely not the most quiet rooms. The walls seem to be made of paper. Otherwise our stay was absolutely wonderful!

We love this place. The smell of fresh-cut flowers permeates the entire hotel. The Sunday Blues Brunch was just delightful. The marble details showcased throughout the lobbies are just a wonder to see.

Very bad place to stay
    • Cityscape Room with Two Queen Beds

Very bad service specially valet parking stuff at night, he was mad with us maybe because we are latín people, we reserved a room with two beds when we arrived to the hotel they gave us a room with 1 bed for 2 adults and 2 kids I got mad, I spoke with the manager and the only solution for this problem was one old portable bed they add to the room with very bad quality of mattress, very disappointed . Never again we will be there by sure

Honestly nothing

The perfect wedding headquarters.

Not crazy about walking through the bar to the elevator. Wish it had a pool.

First rate experience. Immaculate rooms, attentive and friendly staff. Luxurious without being pretentious.

A lovely hotel, and our favorite during our Texas trip.
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

I suppose it would be more convenient to have a refrigerator in the room without having to ask, but one was delivered promptly when we requested it..

The atmosphere is one of luxury and comfort. The hotel is beautiful, and the staff were all outstanding!

Best hotel in Austin by far!
    • Petite Queen Room

One of the most beautiful historic hotels in the US. Staff there is exceptional. Rooms are immaculate and beautifully decorated. Fantastic location right in the heart of Austin, easily walkable to most major attractions. The Driskill Bar is not to be missed. Won't stay anywhere else in Austin - this hotel is perfect!

We will not recommend this property.
    • Deluxe Senate

The rooms that were given to us. The lack of understanding from the check/in staff. The location and the lack of views.

The courtesy of the waiters in the breakfast restaurant.

Excellent hotel in the city centre.
    • Cityscape Queen Room

Valet parking was not cheap.

Location was ideal in the city centre and the rooms were very quiet. Staff very helpful. Choice of food was very good. Superb characterful building. Excellent and varied entertainment in the evenings.

I definitely would stay here again, ask for a larger room, but perfect location
    • Petite Queen Room

the pillows are too fluffy for me, my room a little Spartan and small. the bed itself was just fine. No desk to work on. Really just for sleeping in and getting out.

its a beautiful, well maintained historic hotel. The hotel's décor is breathtaking and harkens of another time in American history. The food, the bar, the live music was wonderful and true to Austin. The location was central to the Convention center and to great bars and restaurants.

It is the only place to stay. wonderful!
    • Deluxe Senate

I was fine with the step in the bathroom, but If you are unsteady on your feet and tend to get up while sleeping, you might want to have a bathroom without a step

The sheets were amazing!

Beautiful building, wonderful staff and fantastic details!!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

If I’m nit-picking, the valet service could have responded quicker when I arrived - but again, this is nit-picking

What an amazing entrance when you walk in!

was good except for the parking
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

had no parking ,even valet parking sucked. had no where to park my truck and i had to park it 3 blocks away in some random parking lot that cost me 30.00 a day and then walk to the hotel.

great comfortable rooms. cold with good fans

Best hotel on our Texas trip.

Sadly the restaurant was closed during our stay but the Concierge booked us a table at Eddie V’s which was another highlight of our stay.

Professional and friendly check in. Delightful lady valet with a winning smile. Ambience throughout the hotel. Breakfast. Bar and cocktails. Fabulous bed and luxury bathroom. Stylish hotel and so easy to stay there! Met all of our needs.

A great location and a true mix of good ole boy feel surrounded by hipster places!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The hallways were a bit bright and wish the bedside lamps could be dimmed? The staff seemed a tad off at the cafe...

Did not know much about Austin, until Chris the Driskill concierge gave us the best ideas and booked us some of the top notch restaurants in town! she made our trip so memorable...

We had a wonderful stay.
    • Deluxe Senate

We had to call several times to request toilet paper and Kleenex. When you are paying close to $500 per night, you should have an extra roll of toilet paper!

The room was beautiful. The outdoor patio was great. The location is perfect.

The size of my room was great and the double sink bathroom...
    • Deluxe Senate

My room was near the elevator and it was very loud at all hours of the night . The sheets are soft but polyester . It’s a high price .

The size of my room was great and the double sink bathroom very nice .

Staff atmosphere and location
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

The only thing I would complain about is although the room appeared very clean on my last night there was a roach in my bed.

Staff atmosphere and location

Great location, very comfortable bed, great public spaces.
    • Petite Queen Room

The room was a petite queen. That made it tight for two people. Also, no window, just an airshaft outside the bathroom.

Great location, very comfortable bed, great public spaces.

Relaxing luxury
    • Vintage Room

The “middle of downtown” location is great, but don’t expect expansive views. You are surrounded by tall buildings!

Beautiful property, super staff, comfy beds

Definitely the perfect place to stay on 6th street.
    • Petite Queen Room

No self park option, valet was $40 a night, but it was very convenient and efficient.

Gorgeous historic hotel with cozy, comfortable rooms. Tons of great bars, food, and entertainment within short walking distance.

Historic hotel with a modern twist in a great location - very comfortable stay
    • Vintage Room

The elevator was pretty slow and the front desk staff didn’t go over my reservation with me (for example: I got breakfast included with my reservation and had no idea where to go or how to receive my breakfast - little things like that.)

The bed was super comfy!

Not bad, but wouldn’t go back.
    • Cityscape Queen Room

I am really not a fan of this hotel and wouldn’t recommend it. From the lack of water in the rooms, to the outdated rooms, to the ridiculous cost of parking. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, per se, but it was not good value for money. I’ve stayed in no frills hotels in the past, which is what this is. The room rate should be recalibrated to take account of this.

Good location; decent Concierge desk

Beautiful building, good location but I wouldn’t stay there again.
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

Thin walls, pillows where old or something because they went real flat real fast, poor WiFi reception, our view was of a gigantic air conditioner. Tile and grout of the shower looked like an amateur did it.

Good Location. Close to everything going on on 6th Street.

Great stay
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

No outlets in bathroom. On check out they wouldn’t give us luggage carts, unless they came and got our luggage for us.

Bar area is nice. Great location.

Wonderful!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

My big complaint is that Booking.com never communicated our reservation with the hotel, which had no record of our reservation. Fortunately the hotel was not fully booked, and they found a room for us.

The location of the hotel is perfect for enjoying the downtown area, as it is walking distance to everything we wanted to do. It is a beautiful building, both inside and out, and staying there was so much better than just a look into the past. The room was attractive, the bed was like a cloud, and the sheets were luxurious! There were a couple of things that made it not perfect. The room was a bit small, with no sitting area. The coffee maker had to be transported to the bathroom, as there was no other place to plug it in. A second luggage rack would have been nice, as my suitcase was on the floor of the closet in the bathroom area, which was awkward as the doors would not stay open. The minor inconveniences did not affect our enjoyment of our stay, as my daughter and I loved the old world charm of the hotel, and would definitely choose to stay there again!

THE EXPERIENCE WAS TAINTED BY BEING GIVEN AN UNSUITABLE ROOM.

I WAS GIVEN A ROOM THAT HAD NO VIEW AND HARDLY ANY NATURAL LIGHT. FRONT DESK WAS UNAPOLOGETIC BUT FOUND ME A ROOM WITH LIGHT AND A VIEW. THE ROOM HAD BEEN BOOKED WELL IN ADVANCE AND I SHOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE BETTER ROOM IN THE FIRST PLACE. AFTER A 10 HOUR FLIGHT FROM LONDON I WASN'T BEST PLEASED.

COMFORTABLE BED. GOOD SHOWER.

Absolutely wonderful
    • Petite Queen Room

Parking was extortionate but there you go

Everything!! A beautiful hotel with lots of places to sit in and relax and enjoy the atmosphere. Very luxurious

Amazing 2 days in Austin

I liked it all

Beautiful old, Art Deco building, big hotel with very good cafe downstairs, elegant lobby, location is good, walking distance from good restaurants, bars and music venues.

Enchanting and exciting to the point of exhilarating!

The Weather:)

The bed was one of the most comfortable ever. The decor was decadent and relaxing. The historical objects that surrounded the entire hotel were magical. The restrooms and lounging areas were like going back in time to a place of lost peace and comfort.

It was a perfect way to spend the Christmas holiday.
    • Petite Queen Room

Amanda at the front desk was amazing. She found a restaurant open late on Christmas so we could have dinner and helped with a room upgrade. She was fantastic and made our holiday stay perfect.

I had a great time
    • Petite Queen Room

The Cafe Dinner. I was told the bar and grill is good by another customer. Oh well, next time

The Cafe does not have a very good lunch / dinner. The breakfast was outstanding

Overall nice.
    • Petite Queen Room

They couldn’t find our reservation twice! People knocked and called even though we had the “do not disturb” sign up, also the person who booked at booking dot com thought she had paid, as it was a gift, but then the driskell asked us to pay when we checked out.

Food was good! Nice room.

The bartenders are very friendly
    • Vintage Room

My room was has a view again another Building, so you feel there is no space, it feels like a prison !! I could have had a better room in pretty much every cheap hotel in Austin !! That’s not fair

The bartenders are very friendly

Good hotel! No paranormal experiences. Lovely staff.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

The small table in the toilet and no table by the sink to put extra toiletries.

The queen bed was comfortable, tv had good channels, well-stocked with toiletries. Made the right choice to stay in this hotel.

Charming, comfortable hotel with friendly staff and local flavor.
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

Right near bars on 6th street which could have been a little noisy, but wasn’t the time of year we were there (Dec 15-18).

Charming hotel with local flavor and history. Great bar and wonderful Christmas tree. Staff friendly and helpful. Rooms quaint and comfortable. Was very happy that we chose this unique Austin hotel over a chain hotel.

Architecture and history.
    • Vintage Room

They were out of Fish & Chips at the Driskill Bar and had no vegetarian burger - my wife is vegetarian. Also the 1886 Cafe was out of white bread for toast.

Architecture and history.

Nice older hotel to try once I'm not sure I would go back
    • Vintage Room

The rooms are small everything in the room has some kind of charge we thought the water was complimentary as the tag on it said so but the small print said you had to be a member or pay $6

It's an older property with smaller rooms and very quaint. Location is great the old field the hotel is very nice.

Although the crew has been ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️- we would recommend a hotel in another district- may be the Domain
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

I can’t sleep well in rooms where you couldn’t open any window. Therefore the air was very bad, although there is an aircondition. The bathroom was always cold , so we warmed it up every morning with the hairdryer ( may be we were not able to handle the aircondition 😏)

First: the crew is wonderful and very helpful!! The area, where the hotel is situated is nearby the station of the homeless people and the people under drugs- and there are many around the hotel!!! One must be careful.

The place to stay in Austin TX when you want the Classic Luxury experience
    • Cityscape Room with Two Queen Beds

Location - all popular sights are within walking distance Staff - professional, courteous, responsive and attentive Rooms - comfortable, well-appointed and comfortably sized Amenities - Bar / Restaurant was always a "gathering place" for locals, Cafe a popular start to the day

Romantic
    • Vintage Room

The breakfast was ok but not what I expected. We ate their breakfast the first day but decided to go elsewhere the last day even though their breakfast was included.

My wife and I enjoyed our stay at this very romantic hotel. Our room was very nice with separate shower and hot tub. The distance from 6th street entertainment was literally a few steps away. I would highly recommend this place and would return for our next visit.

Room not functional or comfortable
    • Petite Queen Room

The bed was awful. The head of the bed was lower than the foot of the bed. In the middle of the night I finally turned around and put my head where my feet should have been. They had a blow dryer, but the cord was to short to use it. There was no full length mirror Really disappointed 😔

As a traveller with 3m airmiles this was over priced and not up to the pricepoint expectation
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

The room was small, we had to move from the Austin JW Marriott which was significantly bigger. The bedroom was sparse with hideous faux furniture. The bathroom was mediocre but worse was the black mold in the grout of the tub, The "bath-towels" were little bigger than hand towels in other hotels - see photo

The bed was good and the location very central

A beautiful historic hotel with modern ammenities
    • Cityscape Queen Room

the close proximity to the "dirty 6th" area. Historic room could be repainted and updated in the bathroom.

the staff is incredible at the Driskill! So welcoming and accommodating. Rooms are very quiet.

fantastic!
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

wished we had a coffee maker in our room

I loved the comfortable bed and bath products. I loved the breakfast/brunch and bar area. Love the history of the place. I peaked in the workout room and wish I'd had time to use it. Great

The hotel building was beautiful, our stay and experience was not. Disappointed.
    • Cityscape Room with Two Queen Beds

Our reservation was given to someone else, my husband sent a bottle of wine to our room that we never received and our bill was overcharged. The front desk help was rude. Our room smelled like mildew.

Our breakfast was great. The lounge was fun with the live music

Great historical hotel near everything!
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Great historical hotel near everything! Hotel was elegant, staff was efficient not one thing was wrong. Really loved staying in a hotel that looked like it was Texas not just some corporate franchise highrise.

My solo stay was a lovely mini vaca!
    • Petite Queen Room

Honestly cannot think of anything that I didn't like.

Bed was very comfy..appreciated the light and air temp controls, but the key element of my happy stay was The Staff!!! Door persons, Concierge, Desk Staff, Cafe server, the cook who stopped to chat, the woman who hailed a cab for me, the morning room service waiter, ..everyone was so professional yet personable, friendly and efficient...my 1 night stay will not be my last.

Beautiful older hotel but I'd go modern next time.
    • Queen Room with Two Queen Beds - Disability Access

Downtown hotel prices seem too high for a small city , but we never needed a car so that's a plus.

The queen bed in 509 (accessible room) was dreamy. The king bed in 540 was a bit hard. The bathroom in 509 was roomy. The bathroom in 540 was too small(a pocket door would be nice there). The a/c in 509 was quiet enough. The a/c in 540 was way too noisy. For the price we paid it would be nice to offer free water on a daily basis to everyone- maybe encourage membership with Hyatt afterwards. Plus the tap water tastes metallic and to us was not drinkable.

Nice Stay
    • Vintage Room with Two Queen Beds

No swimming pool Breakfast is not completely free and is not buffet style Nothing for kids within the hotel Parking is not free

Locatoon is great and staff is friendly, breakfast is very good. The room size was ok. I have 3 kids and i booked room with 2 queen beds. Nice art work all over the place

But for Austin's horrible manners towards their tourists, it'll happen again!
    • Cityscape Room with Two Queen Beds

Austin's food servers have standoffish attitudes that are accepted as normal! They truly shouldn't be tolerated ever. They're SO nonchalant. My peacekeeping daughter warned me beforehand, yet still ~ I couldn't fathom her word tho absolutely appreciated her head's up! I saved BIG $$$$ in tips by eating at the hotel. Silly servers, you had a seasoned Vegas local ready to tip over & over. Yeah, sorry didn't happen. Maybe next time, eh? 🙏🏻

The hotel is off the charts beautiful & most of the staff are TRULY INCREDIBLE! The Cafe's community table is awesome & makes up for their servers (kinda) tho it'd be so much nicer if all (MORNING people) of us could be able to order & eat our breakfasts dealing with (@least) pleasant servers, who could explain what's done to the food. LOL!!

I would definitely go back.
    • Vintage Room

Over all it was exactly what I expected! It was beautiful. Staff was friendly and service around the hotel was outstanding! Love that it was walking distance to our favorite places.

Never again will I waist money on this hotel. I wish I had taken pictures.
    • Vintage Room

Toilet was on a raised platform about 4 inches up. My wife and I both ran into the platform and fell off it. Room had Zero view with fogged out glass. Bathroom door did not open all the way because of a doorstop making it hard to even get in the bathroom. Valet was $42 and it took over 30 minutes to get our car. Reception Staff and valet all snotty. We did not feel safe in the area that this hotel is in.

The bed was nice but the air-conditioner blue right on my neck the entire night.

Lovely hotel
    • Vintage Room

Got massage and very disappointed They asked my daughter what kind of message she said she didn't know so they upgraded (even after filling out paper work and not checking an upgrade) and I paid 325.00 for two off the worst messages I've ever had. My arm has hurt ever since and my daughters back has hurt Never doing that again!

Sheets on the bed! Comfy bed

Expensive, but worth every penny
    • Deluxe Senate

Room had a view of the roof and another building. But didn't get the room for the view so not really a problem.

Purchased the breakfast upgrade and well worth it. Excellent, fresh food and great service. Decor was amazing. Staff was super friendly and always helpful. Room was spacious and very clean each day. Bed was comfortable. Our room was next to elevator, but noise was never a problem, quiet all night long. Would definitely stay again.

Great room and location. Prefect combo!
    • Petite Queen Room

We loved this hotel! It's centrally located on 6th street, so you walk everywhere. We also loved the high ceilings of the room we were in. Also the bath tub.

Great Location on the edge of the the Austin Music scene,...

All good....

Great Location on the edge of the the Austin Music scene, half block from a Starbucks, as well as about 5 blocks from the convention center, which I walked to and got an amazing VooDoo Donuts along the way most morning. Breakfast at the hotel was good the one morning I tried it. It is a historic hotel so you get the amazing look and feel of the cattle barons heyday.

I appreciated the history of the property.
    • Cityscape Room with Two Queen Beds

We did not require much service, but for a 'luxury ' hotel, I felt the overall atmosphere, including dress, was too ' casual,

I appreciated the history of the property. Also, the location in the heart of midtown. Very convenient.

Comfortable "old-world" hotel
    • Petite Queen Room

The bathroom was smaller than usual for this level of hotel, and the sink was tiny and tucked into a corner.

Charming "old-world" feel to the decor and lobby. friendly and helpful staff.