Reviews of The Ellis Hotel 4 stars

176 Peachtree Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA

#137 of 250 hotels in Atlanta

First and last.

The facility is in need of repair/upgrade. The room ac unit performed poorly and was extremely noisy. Rooms are very small.

Staff were friendly and attentive.

Good hotel in great location

Air conditioning in the room noisy

Great location and we stayed there for two night on our arrival from England and one night two weeks later prior to returning home. Staff very friendly, polite and helpful. Would stay there again

Beautiful hotel, reasonably priced for downtown, staff is welcoming and very friendly.

Beautiful hotel in the heart of downtown, easy to access local attractions in the area, parking deck close to hotel. Staff was very friendly and room was charming and comfortable. Will visit the Ellis hotel again!

Great luxury but missing practicality.

They do not have microwaves which was a flop to me being that I had left overs from other restaurants and couldn’t eat them because nowhere to warm them up.

I loved the property and it’s location.

The location of the hotel was nice, but their is a lot...

The hotel was under staff, my bed had a blood stain on the blanket. The hotel Mngr. Change us to another room.

The location of the hotel was nice, but their is a lot homeless people in the area.

The property itself was nice.

They didn’t plan staffing properly. We tried to valet park for over 20 minuets before we just had to self park and walk to the hotel. When we went to check in they couldn’t find out reservation and after another 20 minuets we were given a room. The lady that checked us in didn’t give us any hotel information about how to operate the elevator or where our room was located. Our room had no a/c. The Ellis was recommended to us and within walking distance to the Mercedes Benz Stadium. We won’t be staying here again.

The property itself was nice.

Good hotel, great location, but hotel maintenance needs to address details.

TV was small. Because of room layout, hard to see tv from bed. Remote did not work adequately. Water in sink looked cloudy. Shower leaked severely and flooded bathroom even though shower door was closed.

Reception was excellent. HVAC was excellent.

The worst hotel stay!

The room was tiny for a deluxe king room. The food, dont even bother. It was so terrible we sent everything back except for a salad. To end the experience they double charged me. I paid for the room on booking.com then mr credit card got hit with another $281!!!! Unacceptable and once of the worse hotel stays I've ever had!

Nice staff, decent room amenities, comfy bed

AC was incredibly loud, faucets in sink and shower we extremely loose and wobbly, most of the lights were not plugged in so we had to crawl behind furniture to plug them in, bathroom lighting was very dark, shower door didn’t close all the way creating a big puddle on floor outside shower, only one elevator. Seems to need some updating.

Nice staff, decent room amenities, comfy bed

Perfectly fine if it’s discounted

There was one elevator—the other was being repaired. The room was very small and the noise from outside came in even on the 6th floor. While the amenities were adequate my expectations had been high because of website info about updating and luxury boutique status. Instead the ceiling tiles gaped and the rug was old.

The location near the MARTA was convenient. The room had all the basic amenities. The staff were courteous and helpful.

The bed was comfortable and there was fee WiFi.

Three hundred a night ... and you're going to charge us for water. Really? Everything was small. The room, the TV, the bathroom, the restaurant, the bar, and the lobby. One of the elevators did not work; which resulted in long waits.

The bed was comfortable and there was fee WiFi. The staff was nice.

We got stuck in the elevator and the elevator started...

We got stuck in the elevator and the elevator started dropping . We ended up in the basement and elevator did not work at all after. Second elevator was broken. They made us go up 14 flights of stairs with all of our luggage’s. Two staff members had to help because we had a lot of stuff. We were told we would get a discount and we did not. I was over charged and we asked for manager and after waiting 30 minutes we were told he was gone for the day and we would get a call but yet never took down our information. We had to ask for his business card.

The Ellis Hotel

The elevator was acting up when we got there, only able to hold 6 people plus luggage and we ended up stuck for a few moments on our way up to the room when another passenger overestimated their weight plus their luggage, had to get off and climb 4 flights of stairs on my crutches as I currently am nursing a broken foot. No convenient. Also it could be user error but our thermostat upon entering the room and throughout our stay stated it was set at 60 degrees with the fan running on high but it was decidedly NOT 60 degrees. And I never heard the fan kick on at all that night. No matter how much my husband and I fiddled with it trying to get it to kick on.

Location, 3 minutes from the Philip's arena which is where we're going for the P!nk concert we were in town for! It was clean, and relatively quiet considering they were setting up a wedding when we got there and blaring music from the 2nd floor, we couldn't hear it in our room 2 floors up from that. And being on a busy street not much traffic noise filtered up.

Cute hotel in downtown, but not a luxury

The room and bathroom had some cracks in the ceiling that needed to be repaired. Overall it wasn't a luxury hotel that was advertised.

The hotel staff was amazing and the hotel was cute, but definitely not a luxury hotel. It was old and in need of some upkeep.

I liked the location, but expected a bit more. I wouldn't stay here the next time I'm in Atlanta.

Our room was much smaller than I expected and a ceiling panel in the bathroom had been removed and reinstalled but needed drywall repairs. I was surprised that the bed did not include a fluffy comforter in addition to the thin blanket.

We liked the convenient location and walked to many of the nearby sites. Some of the restaurants we reserved in advance were a short car ride away.

Not a bad place to stay, the staff make it very nice. However, you can get better for the same $

The building, while recently renovated, was done hastily. The toilets made a horrible sound while refilling, bathroom faucet was installed crooked and the glass shower door slammed very hard against a cheap plastic retainer piece. The “allergy free” room had a bed that looked like the sheets were too small, the top didn’t fit around the entire mattress. It was bizarre. Also, the windows open but slam shut, they are very heavy and it’s frustrating if you just want a breeze. The MARTA rail continuously dinged outside my room despite being in the 7th floor it was very loud. Moved up to floor 15 and still quite noisy, but better than being low to the ground near everything.

The property is in a nice central location with evident renovations. Friendly staff created a pleasurable experience, and texting with the front desk was wonderful.

Valerie greeted us and was great!

Valerie greeted us and was great! She kept in touch throughout our stay. Cameron was an awesome bartender! Super nice. All staff encountered were the best.

Overall was good. Few things weren't mentioned until we got in the room.Water was extra, etc...

Well to start, house keeping banging on the door at 9am when check out is noon. We didn't sleep well. Just couldn't get comfortable. Our window faced a brick wall of the neighboring building.

It was in walkable distance to the event we were attending.

AWESOME LOCATION

Read review.

I will begin with the good. The staff is AWESOME, from the valet to management! The locations is FANTASTIC! ALL the great places to dine are within walking distance. We visited the "Juke Joint" that Saturday night and it was a good experience for anyone looking for a Grown and Sexy atmosphere. Now for the not so good stuff. I was so very disappointed in how small the room was. I was not pleased with the decor in the least. The room had paint peeling. It wasn't worth the money we paid for the room. We ate at the Bistro and nor was it worth it! We had the chicken flatbread to hold us over until dinner. It was cold and stale. So overall I'd say that I would not reserve a room there again. I enjoy modern, up-to-date spacious rooms with a view. Not a building.

Location and price.

No small fridge in the room we were in. We were informed that if we wanted one we could have asked for one. How are we supposed to know our room didnt have a fridge prior to check in? Bathroom vent didnt work so it got foggy and hot in there when you are trying to get dressed and put make up on. Ice machine on our floor had no ice, you would have to go get some from the floor below. If you haven't already, check out the history for the Ellis hotel. Its pretty... Interesting. They charged my card an extra $100 without telling me about it, so be sure the check your bank account.

Location and price.

Atlanta weekend

Great location near Centennial Olympic Park, World of. Coca Cola, Ga. Aquarium. Subway state was 1 1/2 blocks away making it easy to get to Midtown for dining and nightlife.

The front desk rep, Katya, was very rude and unhelpful.

The front desk rep, Katya, was very rude and unhelpful. She proceeded to help other guests and to take other calls instead of diligently helping me find my reservation. I had to call booking.com myself.

Average, Great Location

The rooms were small, although updated you could tell the hotel was older and newly remodeled; we had to call maintenance within the first 10 Minutes to fix the heating; even though there was a thermostat on the wall; he had to go up in the celing to adjust the air; it was either heat or air not the option for both; I’m assuming because the hotel was older. The hotel didn’t offer a lot like spa, shopping, pool, hot tub, jacuzzi it just wasn’t a lot to see or be awwwd by but the location was awesome, staff was friendly” and it was much cheaper to just eat at the near by restaurants because the room service prices were high and the added gratuity charge for delivery. They even charge $2 for bottled water I’ve stayed at 5 start Hotels and water was complimentary; I wouldn’t book this hotel as a first second or third option; only if there’s no other hotels available and I Love nice comfortable beds the bed was too firm and house keeping was too Loud; over all the location and staff was the best part of this stay.

The staff were all nice upon checking in and out; the security guard was very helpful, and friendly. The best part of this hotel is location!

swanky boutique hotel fun and helpful staff excellent location!

This was our second stay at the Ellis in Atlanta and it was outstanding! The staff from the front door to the front desk and throughout the hotel were friendly smiling and helpful! The room was more than comfortable the and view from our room was amazing! Room Service Breakfast was perfect and filling! The location of this hotel allowed us to walk to the concert venue that we were in town for at Philips Arena with ease was a safe walk with tons of restaurants, bars, and things to do in between! You will be glad you booked this hotel.

Nice Central Location in Downtown Atlanta

The lighting in the bathroom was terrible. Our friends requested more light bulbs for their bathroom, but this didn't help. The trolley car was noisy during the night. Valet parking was expensive ($35 per night) but I guess that's average in Atlanta.

Location was within walking distance to the Mercedes Benz Stadium and very central location in downtown Atlanta. Employees were very friendly and helpful.

It was very modern, bed was very comfortable and the staff...

Parking was $30/night. There's no fridge or microwave in the rooms, and the rooms are very small

It was very modern, bed was very comfortable and the staff was super friendly.

Tiny hotel not really worth the money

There were no magazines/informational booklets in the room to learn more about what to do in the area. With all of the amazing attractions in Atlanta, I️ was expecting a lot more collateral in my room

The staff was super friendly and accomodating

Pleasant

Downtown Atlanta isn't the greatest unless you have to stay there for work.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Bed was extremely comfortable. Good shower pressure. Decent gym.

Large yellow floor mop cart was sitting just inside the...

Large yellow floor mop cart was sitting just inside the front door in the lobby when we arrived and same place the next morning. Ice machine was extremely loud just outside our door - buzzing, rattling and dropping ice cubes during the whole stay - never heard one that loud. My car was hit in the parking deck and I had to walk over early in the morning to look at it and get the insurance information from the person that backed into it. The parking attendant was nice and on the ball, wasn't his fault.

Not a great value. Wouldn’t stay there again.

It was the little things. Light was out in the bathroom shower. Overall lighting in the room was dim. We got there and there was no soap or shower body wash. Had to call down for it.

Great location. Easy access to public transportation. Beautiful building.

Pleasant friendly staff and nice hotel in downtown

Old decor. coffee machines not working, no much in terms of vegan menu

location and helpful staff, decent property but needs to be upgraded especially the rooms where the decor is quite basic and out of date. The coffee machines did not work. The bed was comfy and the room temp adequate. Nothing special

Good location but need updating

Rooms were a bit dated. The room service was very expensive and missed some of the order. Gave the impression it used to be a very nice place but seems to have slipped over time.

Good location for downtown Atalanta, staff were friendly and the check in area was nice. Offers an allergy floor.

A great location and more intimate than the larger hotels.

I found the taps and shower door handles all loose. But asked for them to be tightened and was done right away.

Very clean and staff were all outstanding.

Overall I enjoyed my stay at The Ellis, nice and clean. The staff were great, hire more valet parker

The valet could use some assistance being that we are paying 30.00 a day. If I'm going to spend my money for something, I want there to be a better effort to auure a wonderful experience.

The staff was very friendly and there to assist in any way they could. I love the housekeeping who went over and beyond to assure our stay was a pleasant one.

It's fine. Great location. Room is good. Service not very impressive.

We got the highest floor room. But the ONLY view we had is a roof top and block of cement of next buildings which we don't even open the curtain to see that view. Feel like we were tricked. We left some stuffs in the room when we call back, it's seems complicate just asking them to check if those stuffs r there. Also they didn't inform us at all that we left something in the room even when we go back for our suitcases that we left after checkoutt.

Location and room is nice.

Clean and in order

I was charged a $50 deposit for my hotel room and the clerk at the front desk didn't tell me they was charging it to my car. Its been 3 weeks and they still haven't gave back my $50 deposit. I just keep getting the run around.

Clean and in order

Someone else's dried food on my order? Eeeww....

Ordered room service and the food was delivered with old, dried sauce from someone else's order on the lid/tray. Raw anchor holes in the walls (where pictures have been moved), few stains on the walls, coffee pot sitting in the floor of the lobby and receptionist blasting music isn't what I'd call 4 star quality.

Easy access to downtown venues, within walking distance to most of them.

Interesting boutique hotel in good location. Terrific value.

Happy hour drinks and small plates are excellent value and very good! All staff (especially bar/waiter) most helpful, efficient and friendly.

The hotel was neat and clean but definitely not worth the price.

I travel regularly to Americasmart Gift Show in the summer. I booked the Ellis only because of proximity to the venue. Last year I stayed at the W Downtown. It was not that much further away and was much better value for money. Not even a safe in the room- had to tote valuables around all day.

Hip to the Ellis!

Hearing this was a haunted hotel didn't help me sleep my final night. Staff could use some work. They don't listen well. The bar staff was great tho!

Most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Honestly. Had to look at mattress, lol!! Don't let the history of the hotel scare you off. They have done a very nice job updating. The Resturant was excellent! Bar staff is awesome.

The Ellis was okay.

I feel that the room was too small. Me and my partner couldn't have both of our suitcases open at the same time in the room and our view was horrible as well. The window in our room faced a brick wall. Our shower also leaked and dripped the entire stay. Definitely don't feel like I got my monies worth.

The location of the hotel is good.

The bed was super comfy and the room was a good size with...

Not the hotels fault but the street noise at night was loud and there seemed to be a lot of cars blaring music for long periods of time. I guess this is to be expected in the middle of town.

The bed was super comfy and the room was a good size with plenty of storage. The staff were friendly and welcoming.

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

Not a true boutique

The rooms were very small. And this is not a true boutique hotel. I requested a room as high up as possible and let them know we were celebrating my birthday. They put us on the lowest floor with a view of a brick wall. The faucet was leaky and there was no top sheet on the bed. Very dissapointed especially since the place was empty. I mentioned my disappointment and they just said sorry about that. They could have done more!

The food was great and the staff was very friendly.

Great location...great price

If having a view matters to you, you should definitely mention it when checking in. My window faced a brick wall of the hotel next door but it wasn't a big deal to me at all...I was there for business, not to gaze out the window.

The hotel was clean, the room was perfect and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Plenty of chain and local restaurant options within walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The location was generally the best part of the hotel...

The location was generally the best part of the hotel experience. Centrally located to the downtown/midtown/Old Fourth Ward areas of Atlanta. Lots of opportunity and things to do within a 10 minute walk. Additionally, the hotel beds were superb. Incredibly comfortable and clean.

Loved everything about The Ellis!

The view was of another side of the building, so I saw brick walls and windows. Otherwise I loved it!

The staff were all super nice and helpful. The location was great, walking distance to everything. I ate at the bistro downstairs and the food was so good. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. This was a really great value and I'd definitely stay there again.

The Ellis Hotel was amazing!

Internet did go in and out throughout the weekend while working.

Staff was very friendly (esp Tanner- night time) and helpful. Staying next weekend at the Ellis Hotel, so I am very glad that I booked it both weekends.

Far less than expected using a 3rd party booking service

the first room lighting was very dim, mold in shower, mildewed shower curtain, lamps and phone that didn't work, nor fridge. the upgraded room had a nauseous smell on one side of the bed.

The upgrade included a refrigerator and normal lighting

• Reviewed: 3 April 2017

If u add little of African menu it will be nice and China food

Food to me anyway Your staff was very rude to me so unfriendly over a little misunderstanding over payment all I needed her do or say was to nicely plead why d food and payment was so d staff Veleria she's so rude I didn't like her attitude I didn't like that guest pay 10$ for breakfast rather than bed breakfast

Rooms location

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

Great location, Amazing views, and a lot of walking!

They charge you for drinking the water bottles provided in the rooms so beware, and they also charge you $50 extra per night you stay ON TOP of your bill. FYI

The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was updated! The Staff was very nice as well.

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Not enough ups too many downs.

Had to figure out what floors the amenities were on. Staff gave wrong floor for gym and restaurant, no maps or mention in the elevator nor in the room. Room was too cold, couldn't adjust the temp, the engineer came to the room to try fixing the issue but didn't. Called requesting engineer return, never came. Television was old, when it wasn't blacking out, distorted lines made it hard to view.

The hotel was very clean and the hotel was conveniently located. Many of the staff were polite. The food was excellent with good vegetarian choices.

Staff was friendly and very engaged

Room was small. Bathroom was cramped. Elevator would hold 3-4 adults 2 with luggage. Photos on site was misleading to reality.

Staff was friendly and very engaged

• Reviewed: 28 February 2017

Bed was amazing.

I didn't like how the air vent ran constantly in the room the whole time. The valet system was a quite busy and disrupted traffic. Also, overnight valet parking provided by the hotel is quite expensive in my opinion.

Bed was amazing. Staff was phenomenal.

Convenient and very clean relaxing stay

First room we were given was not clean but staff fix the problem immediately.

Staff was very courteous. Very nice place and centrally located within walking distance from things to do. Bed was very comfy. Great stay! Definitely recommend.

The overall experience was great

The location of the building defenitly confused me. I didn't know where to park or where to walk in at.

The staff was super friendly. The bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Excellence at its best.

There wasn't anything at all to complain about.

The staff was fabulous. The location was awesome. We could walk to just about anything we wanted to go see and do. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

NOT what I expected

checking of heating units to make sure working properly. We arrived that night and had to change rooms due to heat not working. The night shift staff was very friendly and helpful but I did not like being moved to a handicapped room. The morning shift front desk and some other employee were very unprofessional and I did not appreciate being asked was I a guest there and being stared at by staff while I was using the lobby computer. I strongly feel if I did not have on my sweat suit and had on my 3 piece business attire suit which I had in my luggage that I would not have been asked that guest question so it really pissed me off. I am an owner of a financial services agency and I had not got dressed for my meeting at that time because I had to run get something from my car and get a document printed and fax prior to getting dressed for my meeting. Due to my dissatisfaction I checked out and waited until I got to my Peachtree street office to change clothes

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

Great hotel in great location.

The air conditioner never really got cold. It wasn't uncomfortable just not where I liked it.

This hotel was just what we needed for our trip. My wife and I were shopping at Americasmart and this hotel was only a few blocks (walking distance) away. We will definitely be back.

• Reviewed: 2 February 2017

Good, strong wifi. Within walking distance of major interests.

The staff here are polite but not that helpful. Not bad but I cannot see how Ellis gets 4 stars and Hilton gets 2.5 they are about the same and the Hilton had breakfast and a shuttle!!!

Good, strong wifi. Within walking distance of poultry conference and a shuttle which is great.

• Reviewed: 17 January 2017

Very quaint and convenient.

Really no complaints

Very quaint and convenient. Loved that it was less crowded than most hotels - very refreshing and non- commercialized yet had everything I needed. Plus loved the in room dining after a long work day.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Very good value downtown

Slow WiFi, Leaky shower stall required major towel sopping after shower, Bar/restaurant adequate, somewhat sterile atmosphere.

Location downtown, walkable to Peach Bowl, World of Coke and other attractions, friendly, helpful.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

So promising, yet such a disappointment

The room seemed dated, but more importantly, the bathroom was far from clean and in fact, seemed to be slightly worse after the room had allegedly been cleaned. To add to that, the A/C couldn't be turned off (even staff tried) and while we managed to increase the temperature, the unit kept blowing air all the time. A simple 'off switch' shouldn't be too much to ask. I also wasn't impressed with the sheets or the lack thereof. I don't find it very hygienic to sleep with a duvet that has a sheet lying on top, but isn't entirely covered with one. Whether or not the duvets get washed is irrelevant. I doubt it, but I don't know it and won't want to sleep with a largely coverless duvet that someone has just used before me.

The staff were simply wonderful. Always friendly, always smiling, always helpful. I've met great hotel staff before, but the staff at The Ellis took it to another level. The location is fantastic as well (provided you need to be in Downtown Atlanta).

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Nice hotel overall but room size too small for two people.

Room very small, public areas not as nicely decorated as room.

Nicely decorated room, friendly and efficient staff, comfortable bed, squeaky-clean throughout. However we felt the room was too small for two people. I requested a larger room, apparently there are none in the hotel. Also public areas are rather plain in appearance compared to rooms. .

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Awesome hotel!

Loved the atmosphere, all the employees were super helpful, the food/drinks were wonderful and great location to many attractions. I love the Ellis!

• Reviewed: 22 November 2016

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful

Night manager was not available when needed. Phones were not working and room service times were not followed.

Staff were extremely friendly and helpful

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

The front desk staff was excellent, and the assistance with...

I requested for room to be cleaned by house keeping it didn't get done . Dinner was horrible, at first arrival Valletta parking was a disaster.

The front desk staff was excellent, and the assistance with the bags was tremendous.

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Beautiful hotel! Amazing staff!

Very busy area. The valet service was ok.

Beautiful hotel right in the center of downtown. Walking distance to popular tourist areas. The staff was excellent and the room was cozy.

Friendly staff central location

Friendly staff central location

Awesome experience

Nothing at all

The service was exceptional

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

Was very surprised that a self- identitifed luxury hotel...

Was very surprised that a self- identitifed luxury hotel does not have a fridge or microwave in the room. Bathroom also did not have a fan.

The room was clean and comfortable.

The TV in my room had a poor connection.

The room was clean and comfortable.

Excellent location and super clean

It had no pool

Excellent location

It was walking distance to eating areas

The valet parking was in a terrible area and couldn’t find him to park my car. I had to park down the street

It was walking distance to eating areas

Historic and Modern wrapped up into one package.

This hotel is a historic gem, updated and comfortable .

I enjoyed the historic charm of this downtown hotel.

This was a staycation for me and my wife. The staff was friendly and helpful.

the rooms a a little small

The location is great. You can walk to everything.

Browse The Ellis Hotel traveller photo gallery