Reviews of The Fairmont Orchid 4 stars

1 North Kaniku Drive, Waikoloa, HI 96743, USA

#3 of 17 hotels in Waikoloa

Our entire stay was great.
    • Room with Garden View

Overall our stay was amazing and we would definitely return. Upon check out we were informed that we could have gotten a discount at the restaurants and spa because we are local. That would have been helpful information when we checked in not checked out....We'll know for next time.

Our entire stay was great. It was clean, comfortable, and the staff was friendly. It wasn't over crowded and we hardly had to wait in any lines for food or drinks.

Good hotel, with great location - but they are always after your money!
    • Room with Ocean View

Everything costs extra and is really expensive. For example renting a stand up paddle costs $40. Outside of the hotel you will get this for about $10 - $20.

Hotel beach was really nice and not too busy. There was an own section for sea turtles which you could watch. Staff was really nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2018

Really beautiful hotel!
    • Room with Garden View

Really beautiful hotel! We particularly enjoyed the beautiful grounds including the pool and the beach. Also the beach at the hotel is a great place to go snorkeling, we saw 5 sea turtles and manta rays!

Great hotel to stay in when you do half Ironman
    • Room with Garden View

There were many people and/or their children disturbing the wildlife, the turtles, and coral reef. The staff should say something about this, instead of putting up a very small sign nobody ever reads. Also it would be nice if there were more vegan options.

Was here for the half Ironman, the sea is great to swim in, the pools are amazing and the rooms are nice and large.

Go to paradise and stay at the Fairmont Orchid!
    • Room with Garden View

Service was a little slow and spotty, particularly in the restaurants. There was one incident where the group next to us at the pool was snapped at by a server ("I don't have time to help you right now!") but it was addressed by a manager or manager-like person, though they didn't offer anything other than an apology as far as I am aware. Poolside service took a long time the whole stay (not ideal with hungry kids) and ended earlier than I remembered from a previous stay, but it isn't like we were in a hurry to go anywhere - maybe consider staffing up during mainland spring break season? Overall, it was a wonderful vacation - please don't let these small issues keep you away!

I love the Fairmont Orchid and I was excited to bring my family for a visit. Overall, we had a lovely time and we will be back! I especially appreciated the thorough housekeeping service and the turn-down service with bottled water and a tidy room was lovely. Almost everyone we encountered was charming and kind to our kids. And the food and drink were delicious!

Relaxing stay...Good location, Great employees...
    • Room with Garden View

The initial room assigned for 2 adults and a 16 year old contained one king bed. They offered a roll away - for no additional charge - however it would not have fit in the room’s tiny footprint. The “garden view” room was small, dank and overlooked the maintenance area. It should not even be an actual guest room. We had to argue with the, very polite, front desk personnel to get an appropriate room. Not a good start to the stay. The location is fairly remote. There is a small “mall” just down the road that you can take the hotel van to, but other than that everything else is pretty far away. However, it is easy to spend a week in that location without needing to go elsewhere.

The tennis facility was outstanding as was the tennis pro. The rented ocean front cabana was fabulous-as well as the attendant. The spa and personnel were wonderful. The grounds were serene, lush and extremely well cared for. The pool and surrounding area was perfect. The restaurants were nice and the apps and drinks at the beach front were good.

Staff was very friendly and efficient except for incident...
    • Room with Garden View

Due to weather the restaurant at beach was closed so we had coffee at the deli, the staff was unfriendly and surly, they were the only staff on the property that had that attitude, like they were doing us a favor .

Staff was very friendly and efficient except for incident below

One of memorial stays of us.
    • Room with Ocean View

The entrance of restsaurants were not explained and indicated enough.

The room was excellent to stay and equiped enough. In addition, the location was also excellent. The staffs are very friendly so that we felt very comfortable.

It's the little things that count in high end hotels -- and they missed them all.
    • Room with Ocean View

My strong recommendation is to stay somewhere else. When I pay nearly $900 a night: I do not expect my checked luggage to be left on the portico unattended for 5 hours. I do not expect to find the cleaning staff’s used gloves waiting for me in my room’s bathroom. I also do not expect to be battling flies as I eat my $150 light lunch (for three) on the beach. I also find a check in time of 4pm to be rather late in the day. We arrived at 2pm, room not available, check in staff didn’t offer to check our bags or any other helpful suggestion – all they could offer was that the room was guaranteed to be ready by 4pm. We checked out luggage anyway and decided to grab a late lunch at the hotel (in hopes our room would be ready by the time we finished). We finished up around 3pm, checked but the room still wasn’t ready. Decided to go explore the island; grabbed some things from our “checked” luggage which was sitting out on the portico on a luggage rack (with at least a dozen other luggage racks loaded down with other people’s belongings) on our way out. No one stopped us or offered assistance. After exploring Waipio Valley we made it back to the hotel at 7pm. Turns out our “checked” luggage was still sitting (unattended) on the same luggage rack on the portico – surrounded by that same dozen or so other luggage racks, all empty at this point. We just grabbed our stuff off the rack – no one was around to offer help, or even ask for a claim check. At check in, I tried to mention this to “Christian” the overly chipper guy working the desk, but “Christian” was just going through a script that included phrases like “anything I can do for you…” etc. But it was clear he had no interest in really hearing what I had to say. When I mentioned our luggage had been left on the portico for hours and that we had tried to check in at 2pm and again at 3pm, all he was able to muster was an unhelpful “well, your room is ready now.” At 7pm. I smiled.

On the plus side, the property is well-maintained.

great location, comfy bed, awesome service.
    • Room with Partial Ocean

a bit old, but still good. hair dryer not that great.

bed is nice, the shampoo and shower gel is superb. the service was good, staff were friendly. the hotel overall has a great view and its own 'black sand' beach.

Not worth the price
    • Room with Garden View

A lot, the hotel doesn’t feel Hawaiian, very NY like, closed in. Breakfast buffet was a C, not a lot of actually good tasting stuff... how do u not have malasados? Beach, nice but the rule about not taking SUPs outside lagoon is lame. Not worth the money. Hotel seems to mostly cater to conferences not families. And our room had a gross view of a public bathroom .

The sushi restaurant was good but the comfort of the bed was the best part for the whole stay, ohand two showers really help after beach

Very bad experiences, not recommdand anyone to use booking.com and this particular Fairmont again.
    • Room with Ocean View

1.we booked at booking.com for purpose of our honeymoon, though we have not noticed that the room option is one king size bed or two queen size bed bedroom, but we leave a note that this is for our honeymoon,which I suppose no one read at all at booking.com. So when we arrive the hotel we have been assigned to a two bed bedroom for our honeymoon, can you image how awful is that? Personally I will not use booking.com again and not recommending Fairmont at big island to anyone since this very bad experiences. 2. When we leave the hotel, glad that I usually double check the hotel bill, we have been incorrectly charged 188 usd for a meal we did not go to. The expense was deducted of course, but at the counter hotel staff not explaining to me what’s the reason at all and no sorry was given at all. For those of you all do not like check your bill when checking-out, plz watch out!!!

Staffs are friendly and nice, house keeping twice daily, facilities are quite new, snorkeling is allowed along the hotel beach

Hotel was great i enjoyed my stay from the koi fish ponds to...
    • Room with Ocean View

Hotel was great i enjoyed my stay from the koi fish ponds to the great breakfast to the nice staff and hammocks on the beach to the rooms and the service

Beautiful beachfront location;
    • Room with Garden View

We could partially see the garden and even the ocean from our balcony, but it directly overlooked an ugly shed where they seem to store old stuff.

Beautiful beachfront location; pleasant landscaping; comfortable room with all the necessary amenities and upscale toiletteries. Good food at the restaurant, if pricey.

I will not stay at this hotel again.
    • Room with Garden View

After upgrading our room upon arrival to ocean view for an additional $175/night, I was horrified to find no room darkening drapery; only wide slat shutters to shade the room, which flooded us with light. Then, when traveling nearby via the hotel’s free car service, we experienced the most rude hotel employee. When asked how to get back to the hotel by another couple, the driver said, “They gave out the phone number to the hotel about ten years ago. Call them.” I was mortified and felt so embarrassed. What’s more, on the last day of our stay, construction started somewhere near our room at 8:00 am. The banging and drilling was most annoying, when trying to enjoy our last few hours in Hawai‘i. Finally, and most concerning, another guest informed us the hotel kitchen caused his wife, who has a severe gluten allergy, to become extremely ill when they cross-contaminated her meal. Unfortunately, she lost a day of her vacation due to their negligence and lack of food allergy awareness. Overall, it was amateur hour; not the Fairmont standard to which I am accustomed.

This hotel offers gorgeous views of the ocean, providing for stunning sunsets. The sea turtles that come ashore were a fun surprise, too, and you can’t beat the $5/day valet service.

Fantastic Place you would like to visit again
    • Room with Ocean View

One thing i have a load on my mind, i have not that good experience a woman has long blond hair at the front-desk. she is quite arrogant in the way she talks. she talks like "Huh?", and she didn't say it back anything when i say "Thank you so much". Also, she did mistake with my payment card and i didn't complain anything about it. i just asked somebody else. Actually I've never experience like this before.

Cosy and peaceful!! Wonderful and safe Lagoon, you can see swimming turtle during the day and Manta at night. you can enjoy your REAL Holiday. there's "Shops at mauna lani", and "Mauna Lani golf course" (South course is the best golf course in Big Island) near by. I recommend travel with Friends, Family or honey moon. Also you should come by "Browns beach house". you can experience lovely sunset and great food.

Beautiful structure and grounds.
    • Room with Garden View

The service at the restaurants were terrible, they are super slow and at breakfast time you can wait 20minutes before being seated which is ridiculous for a hotel of this kind!

The hotel is very beautiful and well kept

Perfect for holidays

Pricy

Perfect place to relax. Very wide area. Perfect for snorkeling. Most beautiful sunset I ever saw, every night. Highly recommend this one for families with and without kids

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

A wonderful hotel
    • Room with Partial Ocean

There was no Airport shuttle service. Extra fees for room service (26%)!!

The staff are very friendly, the rooms and beds are great. The grounds are kept very tidy and manicured.

• Reviewed: 26 March 2017

Great room in lovely hotel, shame about beach policies
    • Room with Partial Ocean

Having to pay $60/day for a sunbed with an umbrella, as opposed to burning in the sun, is unacceptable on the private beach of a 5* hotel; we would not stay again purely for this reason

Room was very nice with good view - met 5* expectations. Big territory with lots to do.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Beautiful!
    • Deluxe Family Room with Ocean View

Everything is an extra. All food is really expansive (150$ for breakfast with tax and tips!). A lot of music at night (would be nice to just hear the waves once in a while) and corporate events.

Great Snorkeling and small lagoon for kids. Staff is fantastic. Beautiful facilities and landscape.

• Reviewed: 12 February 2017

Great location, Rooms need a makeover
    • Room with Garden View

The pool was crowded and unless you got to the pool by 9am you were hard pressed to find a place to sit. We did some sight seeing in the mornings and want to return and take a dip in the pool just be be frustrated about the lack of space. The rooms were dated and in need renovation. Everything was in working order but seemed old and tired/ well worn. The bathrooms were disappointing: slow sinks, tiny shower, gross bath tub. Definitely needs to be updated before I'll stay here again.

The resort has a great location in Kona, and very convenient to a grocery store, and local attractions. They have a beautiful property and beautiful beach area. The restaurants were both excellent, and I experienced some of the best sushi on the Big Island at Norios.

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

place and hotel, free shuttle bus to restaurants and the...
    • Room with Garden View

no umbrellas on the beach and little at pool, !!! too expensive restarants in hotel, bad service / we were waiting for food in H restaurant/ no shuttle bus to airport, location of our room, connected with the other room/we have baby and it could be unleasant for the gests in the other room

place and hotel, free shuttle bus to restaurants and the other hotels, clean room, good quality of internet

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Great location on a calm beach.
    • Room with Garden View

It's very expensive to eat, rent equipment and even reserving a tennis court costs $40 an hour. You can get much better deals off property.

Great location on a calm beach. The rooms are comfortable but a little dated. The snorkeling out front was great and the staff were very helpful.

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

Great hotel, amazing beach

Expensive breakfast / beach gear like SUPs cost extra

The beach is amazing also for a little swim, the hotel feels nicely integrated into the surrounding nature

Enjoyed our visit.
    • Room with Garden View

On-site food choices limited and very expensive. Drinks very expensive - cocktails were $17-19.

Friendly accomodating staff, very nice beach. Free use of bicycles with city tires available for riding around the local roads were a nice bonus as we love bike speed.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

Very relaxing 5 night stay
    • Room with Partial Ocean

A maid knocked without announcing who she was and then came in before I could get to the door - I thought she was a little quick to assume no guests were in the room. The parking lot needs to have more rows of spaces open at all times (plus more shade trees). The pool could use more umbrellas by the chaise lounges. The policy of no amplified music from guests should be enforced at all times.

We got a room with a great view and the staff gave us a complimentary bottle of champagne and a nice tray of fruits and chocolates to welcome us. Very comfortable bed and pillows, but we would have preferred thin blankets rather than a comforter which tended to be too warm. Two showers in our bathroom was very handy. The air conditioning was non-obtrusive, i.e., it maintained a great temperature and was not noisy cycling on and off. The hammocks and chaise lounges on the beach were great in the evening to watch the sunsets. Towels were plentiful at the pool (self-help or service) without having to sign them out/in.

• Reviewed: 30 September 2016

Paradise found
    • Room with Ocean View

The resort fee covered self parking but also felt a bit like a fluffy way of padding the cost.

Great views. Clean and spacious facility that never really felt crowded. Lots of pulp and private spaces to enjoy paradise. Not a ton of pressure from staff hungry for tips like at some similar resorts. Our favorite resort to date.

Service was slow and good was very bad quality.
    • Room with Ocean View

Service was slow and good was very bad quality. I would definitely not eat at the hotel.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Beach access and staff were excellent.
    • Room with Garden View

Another jacuzzi would have been nice

Beach access and staff were excellent.. gym was top of the line.. room service was fast and food was great

Good facilities with fantastic views and sunsets.
    • Room with Partial Ocean

Snack menus a bit limited. Crowded pool area.

Good facilities with fantastic views and sunsets. Great buffet breakfast.

a little disappointed.
    • Deluxe Family Room with Ocean View

we found 2 cockroaches in our room.

The Brown Beach House restaurant exceeded our expectations.
    • Room with Garden View

No pickup/ drop off service from/ to the airport.

The Brown Beach House restaurant exceeded our expectations.

Best vacation ever!

We had to leave!

Bed was comfortable but pillows were too soft.
    • Room with Garden View

They needed an adult pool.

Bed was comfortable but pillows were too soft.

For luxury accommodations this is the place to stay!!

Price is a bit steep

The warm pool was outstanding

WiFi available in only part of the room

WiFi available in only part of the room

Beautiful property!

Beautiful property!

Comfy beds.
    • Room with Garden View

Resort fee is too much for what is provided.

Comfy beds. Excellent breakfast buffet.

Nice place.

Staff, service.

Nice place. Really far from anything

Great place to relax or schedule fun excursions. Overall wonderful facility.
    • Room with Ocean View

Price for meals at restaurants

Very friendly staff. Beautiful grounds and amazing beach area

Outstanding from the superb location to the high class professional service

all good

Excellent world class resort well maintained and serviced in a beautiful location

amazing n expensivene

amazing n expensivene

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

Mattress was terribly uncomfortable, otherwise,...
    • Room with Garden View

Mattress was terribly uncomfortable, otherwise, accomadations were excellent!

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

A great property in a beautiful setting providing great service.
    • Room with Garden View

The service is phenomenal. The lagoon gives a protected swim beach. The resort is beautiful.

Fab resort, amazing staff, gorgeous rooms and facilities.
    • Room with Garden View

Fab resort, amazing staff, gorgeous rooms and facilities. Breakfast is 5 star with lots of options and excellent service.

Very nice beautiful grounds
    • Room with Garden View

All dining experiences on this property are amazing.

The parking is 10 minute walk from the property.
    • Room with Ocean View

The parking is 10 minute walk from the property.

Bed extra comfy
    • Room with Ocean View

No signs, easy to get lost

Bed extra comfy

everything perfect.

nothing on my head.

everything perfect. no words to say.

Lots of kids

Lots of kids

The view and facilities were great.
    • Room with Garden View

Could have been bit cleaner around communal areas such as tables in bar not being cleaned properly.

The view and facilities were great.

Hopeless bell hops and they let the whole place down, 1st...
    • Room with Garden View

Hopeless bell hops and they let the whole place down, 1st impressions count.

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Bed super comfy, buffet breakfast delicious, beach...
    • Room with Partial Ocean

Bed super comfy, buffet breakfast delicious, beach activities awesome!! location wonderful!

We had a very good honey moon there.
    • Room with Garden View

We had a very good honey moon there.

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Everything!
    • Room with Garden View

Breakfast too expensive, for the price you pay.

Everything! Room, Pool, Staff, View.....

• Reviewed: 12 March 2017

Awesome resort experience
    • Room with Ocean View

Higher price points for food.

Great location and facilities. Great Concierge services. Spa treatment was high quality

Great hotel.
    • Room with Garden View

The Wi-Fi signal was quite weak.

Overall service was fantastic.

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

Great ambiance, great restaurants!
    • Room with Garden View

Little bit Slow service at breakfast restaurant

Great ambiance, great restaurants!

• Reviewed: 17 February 2017

Wonderful stay
    • Room with Garden View

Comfortable beds. Great view.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

It was OK but pretty expensive for an upper level 3* hotel

For the 5 star price the rooms were a bit dated. Paint a bit flaky

Dinner at "Browns" was delicious but expensive

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

Wonderful
    • Room with Garden View

Pricey. But you get what you pay for.

Comfy beds. Clean. Beautiful gardens, waterfalls and ponds. Large pool and great beach to snorkel.

• Reviewed: 23 November 2016

Great place!

Very very expensive!

Swimming with turtles! Great rooms, great views! Friendly staff and all round amazing place!

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

Paradise in paradise!
    • Room with Ocean View

We enjoyed cocktails in the outdoor lounge, enjoyed lovely live music (guitarist singer), and met all great people working there!

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

Very comfortable bed, big bathroom, spacious room and...
    • Room with Garden View

Very comfortable bed, big bathroom, spacious room and terrace.

• Reviewed: 22 October 2016

comfortable and luxury

parking lots too far

comfortable and luxury

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

Relaxing, fun time int the sun.
    • Room with Partial Ocean

Lack of attention to detail.

Location was fabulous, staff in the main very cheery and friendly.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Our suite.
    • Deluxe Family Room with Ocean View

As with all Hawaii hotels the Resort fee. This is not optional , hence it becomes an increase in the quoted room rate.

Our suite.

• Reviewed: 24 May 2016

The rooms were extremely well appointed and the beds were...

The rooms were extremely well appointed and the beds were very comfortable! The entire resort was extremely well taken care of and had wonderful amenities included in your price. The pool and beach area were very spacious and the staff were always available. There was complimentary wifi and parking for one vehicle per room.

• Reviewed: 18 April 2016

The resort was amazing and we absolutely loved the gorgeous...

The resort was amazing and we absolutely loved the gorgeous 24-hour pool with the restaurant and bar right by it. We'd go back here in a heartbeat.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2016

Its a wonderful walk along the sea front up to the beach...

This hotel is very professionally run, but it felt a bit too corporate for me, like I was entering a city law firm and the staff didn't seem so relaxed (but always friendly and service driven). The pool and beach area were busy during peak times, but I could always get a seat and busy can be fun and if you don't mind leaving the hotel their are many other beach options. The smell coming from the washing up area near the bar at halekai needs to be sorted out please it was the only downside in a beautiful clean hotel.

Its a wonderful walk along the sea front up to the beach club. Lets be clear this is a lovely hotel with beautiful rooms and location. It is run highly professionally and the staff are friendly.

• Reviewed: 13 March 2016

Great bed and clean modern room, beautiful bathroom.

good cafes/restaurant options at resort but all very expensive.

Great bed and clean modern room, beautiful bathroom. Lovely private beach and heated pool/spa was great. Great gym

• Reviewed: 6 March 2016

The location was great!

The restaurants on the grounds were all very expensive, as well as the ones within a 20 minute drive from the property.

The location was great! It was less than 30 minutes from the Kona airport and had a shopping center conveniently located less than 5 minutes away. The grounds were beautiful, room was updated, and bed slept like a dream.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2016

The grounds and hotel are stunning!

The grounds and hotel are stunning! The beach is one of the nicest. Staff at every outlet are helpful and friendly. Such a wonderful vacation spot! Emma was great help with planning our off-site activities.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2016

The overall experience was brilliant!

The overall experience was brilliant! It may have helped that we got a complementary upgrade to the Fairmont Gold Floor with it's many privileges including a personal concierge, free valet, free breakfast, free rental of sports equipment, all day snacks and beverages, etc. The hotel and it's surroundings are simply beautiful. Convenient location on the Island. The rooms are well appointed. Nice restaurants and delicious food. The beach is lovely - we snorkelled with turtles. It's great that the petroglyphs are nearby. The staff were all friendly and helpful without exception.

There are also 45 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.