Reviews of The Franklin Hotel 3 stars

164 East 87th Street, Upper East Side, New York, NY 10128, USA

#379 of 419 hotels in New York

• Reviewed: 20 October 2018

It was only one night and served the purpose. But probably won't stay again until street is open.
    • Small Queen Room

Building and all public spaces were claustrophobic. No natural light got in. I get that the building is old. But window treatments were dirty, paint needed refreshing,there were no washcloths in the room, and SOME warning needs to be made about the construction outside. The street was entirely blocked. I would not have booked this hotel had I known.

Kind, friendly, helpful staff. Terrific location. Great bath fixtures that worked well.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

I wrote to the contact I was given by the manager at the Franklin Hotel.
    • Small Queen Room

Mr. Gonzalez, On 4/9/2018 I reserved a room at the Franklin Hotel in NYC for 2 nights, 9/22 and 9/23/18. The confirmation from Booking.com is attached and shows a description of the room I was to receive. When I arrived at the hotel, about 1 pm, I was told that the rooms weren’t ready, check-in time was 3 pm, but I could leave my suitcase and my room would be ready when I returned. I explained that I would be back late since I had theater tickets, and I was assured that someone would be there to show me to my room. I wasn’t asked to check in at the time. When I returned I was shown to room 14 on the first floor and was horrified to see the condition of the room. The rug was stained as was the headboard. The mattress was lumpy. The TV didn’t work. And the amenities listed on the description were absent - coffee maker, safe, hairdryer, bathrobe. When I said it felt warm in the room the woman turned on the air conditioner which was so loud it sounded like a train going thru the room. She said it would drown out the sound of the doors banging. Needless to say, I was not able to sleep at all that night. I turned off the A/C to try to get some sleep and the noise of doors banging made that difficult. She said the hotel was full and if I had checked in earlier I would have been given a different room. She suggested I speak to the manager the next day to have my room changed. I did so, and was given another room. When I was checking out I again spoke to the manager, Mike. I was told that room #14 was the room I had reserved. I disagree. I reserved a clean, comfortable room with working amenities. What I got was a dirty, stained, unacceptable accommodation with broken air conditioning, unworkable TV, and one that lacked even the minimal amenities. Room #14 should not be rented to anyone.I have attached pictures of the floor, headboard, broken door frame and TV. This was not a $300 room and I do not think I should be charged for the night.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Very helpful staff, great location close to green subway...
    • Queen Room

Tiny rooms but that’s expected in NYC. Our room was prepared for one person only.

Very helpful staff, great location close to green subway line, breakfast included and free wine in the evening. AC in the room.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

This is the worst hotel i've ever been in.
    • Small Queen Room

This is the worst hotel i've ever been in. Sure, they have the basics covered and it's well located but for the price of it, I was expecting so much more. - I had no WiFi in my room. This is what bothered me the most. We're in 2018 and they couldn't bother to set an appropriate network system. They had the router downstairs and an extender somewhere (which does nothing) and obviously the internet does not reach 6th floor. I wanted to plan my day, see where to eat or just navigate online and I couldn't. It's absolutely ridiculous. I had to come downstairs to their little lobby room to do all these things which is very uncomfortable and doesn't make any sense. - the pictures that led me to book it (booking.com) are completely misleading. It's an old building with really basic (if none) furniture - water pressure was too low (bathing) - the breakfast is poor. On the first day the bread was hard, it wasn't fresh, and in the next day there wasn't even any bread and they didn't bothered to go buy it either. I had to do it by myself, otherwise all we had were some cereals. It's a really small room, with only 4 tables, which for a hotel with like 9 floors is obviously not enough. The options were scarce. - the room's window did not open so we could not have natural sunlight. Plus, the room's door was not that strong and we could hear everything that happened outside - room's door opens with a key card. And that's nice but on the last night they stopped working, supposedly because of door's battery running out. Since it was a Saturday, we had no chance but to ask the reception guy (a really nice one though) to open the door for us everytime we wanted to go in. An overall really bad experience and I do not recommend it. Don't know if the price is the standard for New York's hotels but I just felt that I was mislead and that it was a bad choice.

• Reviewed: 7 October 2018

Great location to the Park and museums
    • Small Queen Room

Breakfast was disappointing. Yogurt, cornflakes and watered down coffee were all the options available. I thought for the type of place it would have had some bagels, pastry or fruit.

Location was very convenient to museums and Central Park. Place was clean and decorated nicely. Staff was excellent in their customer service!!

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

Funcionários muito atenciosos e sempre com um sorriso.
    • Small Queen Room

O pequeno almoço tem pouca variedade. Tem cama grande mas o espaço do quarto é muito pequeno. Pouco isolamento de som.

Funcionários muito atenciosos e sempre com um sorriso. Hotel com arquitectura clássica e elegante que nos faz voltar ao passado. A limpeza do hotel era exemplar.

• Reviewed: 4 October 2018

It is 5 minutes from the Metro Station.
    • Small Queen Room

The first room on the first night was so small that I could not open my 2 suitcases. The safe was placed on the floor under a desk due to lack of space in the wardrobe, The wardrobe was about 8 inches (20 cm) deep and could store up to 2 to 3 dresses only. The air-con ran with a noise as loud as a truck in acceleration. The shower mixer did not work. It provided either very hot water or cold water. The wifi did not work at all on the first 2 days and worked at 3 G speed intermittently on the 3rd day. We are now at 4 G speed era. I was changed to a bigger room after complaining to booking.com,

It is 5 minutes from the Metro Station.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

A few nights in NY
    • Small Queen Room

Construction all around the property. Breakfast wasn’t very good at all. Lobby dark and dingy

Room was comfortable and clean. Elevator very old but really cool

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Friendly staff and clean room
    • Small Queen Room

We were upgraded to a small queen suite that was the size of a size 13 shoe box. When you open the door to the room you literally standing in the bathroom. Very cramped up room. A desk was squeezed in next to the bed leaving no room for walking freely. There was a chandelier above the bed...very disturbing...what if I were to knock my head on that? The breakfast room for a hotel consisting of multiple rooms, which was fully booked, is the size of a office. Overall, I was very impressed with the comfortable bed and cleanliness of the room and hotel.

Friendly staff and clean room

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

4.0
    The elevator worked silently!
    • Queen Room

this was a lovely very small hotel where we stayed at least 5 times in the last years and which is now sadly rapidly coming down. In stead of the 'glass of red/white wine and a little cheese at 5 o clock' , now 1 bottle. Breakfast had a choice of good bread some cheese and marmelade, but now only little very dry croissants out of the deep freezer. (There are 2 very good bakeries on each corner of the street). The whole place (interior/furniture) is becoming threadbare. Then the charm of the location and the little extra's make the very tiny rooms( with breakfast included) less attractive! 4 from the 5 days we had to ask the normal amount of towels for 2 persons and their excuse was that there were no more till the next Wash came in.... Really a loss!

The elevator worked silently! Desk was friendly but not knowledgeable.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2018

We will stay here again. The people at the hotel were amazing.
    • Queen Room

The water pressure was very weak. The shower didn't work

The staff was amazing. Everything we asked for was done with a smile. The front desk and cleaning staff were excellent.

Aweful! Will not come back, ever!
    • Queen Room

The smell in the room, the carpets looked old and dirty. The doors creek as you open and close.The breakfast room was very, very small. This is NOT a boutique hotel.

It was a bad experience. I will never go back . The room smelled aweful. Carpets dirty. Except for the location being close to The MET was advantageous.

• Reviewed: 21 September 2018

Loved the warmth of the staff and the sweetness of the hotel; need better lighting in rooms.
    • Small Queen Room

The construction was a pain but that is not the hotel's fault and only temporary so I dont hold that against hotel. The room is very small but I love european style hotels so not at all a problem. The ONLY thing that really bothered me was the lighting in the room. Especially around the sink, there was not enough light to put on makeup and this seemed easy to remedy without its costing a fortune so it was annoying. I always think its unnecessarily cheap and annoying when hotels skimp on lighting. The breakfast was just okay. Might have had some fresh fruit or a bit nicer choices but, again, it was fine.

I liked the staff very much; they were very down to earth and sweet. I had had an exhausting and draining day andI did not check in until after dinner. I just felt anxious about taking tiny elevator and asked the desk lady to go up in the elevator with me and she did. The lady who worked in the breakfast room was diligent about checking to see if supplies were filled.

Location is very convenient.
    • Small Queen Room

Breakfast is basically only coffee milk and cereal, a bit disappointing. Pressure of the shower was not good.

Location is very convenient. Close to subway stations and also to the museums and Central Park. Staff is also very friendly.

Ashamed to be there! Very unpleasant after a long working day stay in such a disgusting place
    • Queen Room

The room was incredible small, we felt claustrophobic. The bathroom, was wide as a toilet,and long as a small bathtube. The sink was like a salad bowl in the room. The carpet in the room was so dirty and old that our feet stick on. The AC was so loud. There was not view, we only can see a close by building's wall so close by the window. The breakfast wasn't breakfast, only old bread cut in pieces, old jelly, old yogurt. Coffee'...was cold. Garbage can in the small room was full, no napkins, no any fruit. It was ashamed! We paid 303.$ This hotel need to be closed! I will not recomended to anybody and never ever will stay there again!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Hotel is near metro.
    • Small Queen Room

1. The room was very old and in very bad condition. 2. Wi Fi was not worked even if in reception. 3. Water was extremely hot or cold. 4. Condition worked noisy. 5. Washbasin was located near the bed and all floor was always wet. 6. The hotel personal in reception was not polite and helpful. Resume - this hotel is not 3 stars, maximum 2 and not for this price!

Hotel is near metro. Nothing more.

Great fit for me
    • Small Queen Room

Great location and wonderful staff and one of best prices. My bathroom was tiny, fine for me, not for a larger person, and the air-conditioned had a noisy clicking through the night which staff hastened to repair. For those Americans who like spacious modern facilities I wouldn't recommend. Europeans would find it just fine. So convenient to transport, central park, museums, cafes....

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

• Small Queen Room

I did not like "breakfast." Hotel only provides coffee, tea, oj, Kellogg's cereal, milk and old bread. It is just plain bread, no flavor and no butter. One of the reasons I reserved this hotel was because, included breakfast. For me, it's a very poor breakfast. Breakfast area is small.

I like the location. It is one block away from the subway. Very clean facilities, it is small but very comfortable. It is like the pictures the site provides. Employees are polite, and helpful.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

The queen bed was comfortable.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom was very small, especially the space for the sink. I fit very tightly. The view was awful. Carpet in room, not very clean

The queen bed was comfortable. Small hotel. Being alone, I felt safe. Good shower.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

Blemished Franklin
    • Queen Room

Carpets are gross Bathroom is micro sized Housekeeping skimps on towels No coffee in rooms No outlets to plug in. Seriously? Old poor quality TV Courtyard our room looked over was full of debri

Location for us Cost

Great experience. Very nice desk staff.
    • Queen Room

The bathroom was very small. Also, we would have liked fresh shampoo and soap as part of the room makeup.

Nice old style hotel. The wine happy hour and breakfast are nice amenities. The parlor seating area is very nice with a great view of the street.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

Small NYC period hotel. Clean + w/ wonderful staff and great upper west side location
    • Small Queen Room

Small rooms. No central air. Breakfast was ... not really more than coffee and poor pastries or cereal. Don't count it as a plus

It's ... small. Very much of a kind...New York tiny and renovated to meet current standards. I did expect central air but it was fine w/ window air (of course that's noisy). Clean clean and rooms, while a bit funky, met our two-ight stay needs. A bit of a 'dance' for two people to move around to bathroom, bedside, etc...but it worked. Breakfast is not worth staying in for but the LOCATION is so fine, who cares. I liked it, however. We spend a lot of the year in Italy and this was VERY European in size, mode, etc. I kept thinking to speak Italian to people getting on and off the elevator! (which works well but style made me think it was original to this building).

Nice personnel - we were provided with a larger room with...
    • Small Queen Room

Bad Wi-Fi, poor breakfast, no fridge in room

Nice personnel - we were provided with a larger room with king-size bed as lady on reception noticed that my husband is a tall big man. This was really nice of them, as the initially suggested room was too small

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

Beautiful old hotel with charming decor.
    • Queen Room

Beautiful old hotel with charming decor. Clean and comfortable. Rooms are "New York" small - but easy to move around in (No bruised shins)

Nostalgic Upper East Side New York Charm
    • Small Queen Room

It was hard to find because of the construction covering the sign.

The pictures of the room made it seem larger than it was and a large person would not have comfortably been able to use restroom. I liked it just fine though and it was a nostalgic place. The staff were very friendly and chatty, something that I did not expect. It was an easy walking distance from The Met and my room was ice cold which was great.

Superb position, below average breakfast
    • Small Queen Room

The breakfast. Honestly I don't know if that is the typical NY breakfast but the absence of any jam, butter, fruit, juice (not even mentioning eggs or bacon) or toasted bread is annoying. Just plain yogurt + cereals and coffee.

Position is great! Very clean room and restrooms. The guy kept our luggage stored even after our check out since we visited something before leaving for the airport.

My stay was ok but it could have been so much better.
    • Queen Room

The carpet in the room smelled a little. There are no outlets near the bed; the only available ones for charging your phone are in the bathroom or under the desk. The air conditioning unit in the room was very noisy: I asked the front desk if they could look into it but nothing was done. It interrupted my sleep quite often. Breakfast consisted of a choice of: bad prebrewed coffee; one type of tea (2 teabags available); mini muffins (out of the box); corn flakes (stored in a clear container); milk (from a clear glass jug); fat free yogurt; chunks of baguettes (no spreads, honey, or peanut butter or else available). The breakfast room is very small and with limited seating. One employee was resting her head on the reception desk one morning and didn’t bother lifting it when guests approached the desk to talk to the other employee. This place could be very nice if only more attention was paid to details.

The bedroom was nice and clean. The bed was very comfortable and the linen clean. The staff was polite and friendly.

It was convenient but very cramped and we were unable to eat any of the offered breakfast
    • Small Queen Room

We are vegans and there were no options for us to eat. Each morning the fruit was gone and only cow milk available. Also no decaf coffee (. Medical reason cannot have caffeine. Also no juice available. When staff asked for more fruit they just said sorry we are out!

The bed was very comfortable but the headboard was very dirty and stained. Room 32. There was only one water glass and not enough pillows. It was close to destinations

Great location on UES.
    • Queen Room

Bathrooms are small, I've had smaller in Paris and London.

Don't believe the complainers. This is great value for UES. Walk to museums and Central Park. Coffee was good, bed was very comfortable. Yes, rooms small but I've had smaller in Paris and London. It's a continental breakfast and only a shower. So what? and I was there 3 nights, no construction noise now.

Decent place to stay
    • Small Queen Room

The breakfast...and rooms could atleast have a small fridge...and were a bit small

The location, the cleanliness of the bathroom.and bedroom and the bed was comfortable

Best location.
    • Small Queen Room

Be sure you have enough changes to pay the tips. For carrying one suitcase, from lobby to third floor, the tip is normal $2, however from the lobby to outside (only several meters), it is $5. If you concern WiFi, please avoid the room at the end of hallway.

Best location. You can walk to the Central Park and museums. The staffs are friendly.

Great location, comfortable bed, friendly staff, nicely...
    • Small Queen Room

No fridge, no coffee maker, no ice bucket. Air conditioner noise could be bothersome for light sleepers. Hotel room cost + city taxes for one night is pretty high considering the amenities provided.

Great location, comfortable bed, friendly staff, nicely decorated.

Terrible
    • Small Queen Room

This hotel did not match its description on Booking.com in my view. The photography grossly misrepresented the tiny room I had with a view of a brick wall. The free breakfast was laughable - some cornflakes and a dish of tiny muffins in a room with so little lighting that it was hard to see. One of the reception staff was asleep when I left. I checked out after one night having been booked in for 4. Awful place.

Nothing about this hotel was good.

Perfect Locationl but still not worth the money as rooms were very small and almost no facilities
    • Small Queen Room

Small Hotel Small Rooms Below average breakfast Wifi did not work inside the rooms and only in corridor and lobby Not worth the money

Location was very good, walking distance to 86th street east subway station Hotel is surrounded by nice restaurants, shopping street, cinemas, pharmacy etc which makes it very comfortable to find anything close by.

A-mazing!!!

Not one thing.

The staff was very friendly and helpful! There was 3 of us and for whatever reason our booking didn't show on their end that we had out 6 year old and was booked for the smallest room in the hotel.... But they switched it up without a problem and gave us a bigger room 😍 we normally stay in a chain hotel but wanted to do something a little different this trip. Everything about this hotel appeals to me at this hotel I looooove the originality of this hotel and how most of the original features are there, even the elevator which our son loved! 😂. Not too far from metro, our room was always cleaned up. Only downfall (for my husband) was not a/c just a little window unit but didn't bother me a bit, it was cool enough! We decided to stay another night and they accommodated us without a problem. Thanks again Franklin Hotel! We will definitely be back!

Good location and value for my short one-night stay.
    • Small Queen Room

A continental breakfast with limited selection. I was glad to have it, but it would have been nice to have a bit more. The room was very comfortable although small, but the lighting was rather dim. If I had been in NYC to do work, this would have been a problem.

If you want to be on the Upper East Side, this is a good location. The evening wine reception was a nice touch. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall the hotel met our needs ; the location was the most important factor to us.
    • Queen Room

Breakfast was poor; no small refrig in room inconvenient. The airconditioner was very noisy and the construction going on next door made early morning and daytime hours unpleasant.

Staff was very helpful and professional. Room was comfortable. wine in afternoon was nice touch.

Friendly staff, great location, but rooms are small and photos on site are not updated!
    • Queen Room

There was SO MUCH construction noise and so much in the area. I didn’t like the fact that the photos listed on booking.com didn’t really show the conditions of the property. The photos are what sold me and when I first got there I was a little shocked. Thank god for the staff. But the hotel didn’t have much of a lobby or entrance to hotel, rooms were very small and the carpet was very dirty and many stains on it. Bathroom was tiny and you couldn’t stand at the sink and do anything because your body wouldn’t fit.

The Franklin was in a great location (Upper East Side) and very convenient to the subway and many cafes and shops. The staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and always greeted you with a warm hello and smile.

The Franklin Hotel
    • Small Queen Room

Room was very small. Just enough room to walk around the bed. Bathroom you had to either sit down or step in the shower.

Friendly service. Clean rooms. Accommodating. Would stay again.

A comfortable stay, good bed.
    • Queen Room

Built in 1929, the hotel is a deco classic. Liked the genuine ceramic mosaics on each floor. The library was unusually good...a set of Harvard Classics, complete set of Sherlock Holmes, dozens of various hard bound classics. The hotel is old and small but maintains a tradition of friendly service. Current construction adjacent to the hotel is a burden which the staff bears with grace.

Not worth the price. Do not waste your money
    • Studio

Breakfast was sucks. The breakfast place was pretty small with only 4 tables. Some people had to leave when they notice not much space. There are places less cheaper I stayed before and breakfast was beyond amazing. Coffee was disgusting

The room was ok, but restroom a bit too small

Shameful
    • Small Queen Room

Price is too expensive for the quality of the room and the breakfast is non-existent, disgusting, shameful : The bread & croissant was old and tasteless, and there was nothing else besides some yogurts, cereals and jams. There is no orange juice, no butter, no eggs... and the breakfast room was tiny. I preferred to go to breakfast outside. My TV was old and didn't work after a day. I was very unhappy and changed hotels to better enjoy my holidays.

The bed was comfortable

This hotel was really not at all what the photos looked like...
    • Studio

This hotel was really not at all what the photos looked like or the lovely reviews bespoke. The location is great, it's very central to both shopping and museums. However, the carpets are tatty and actually look dirty. My room had a cupboard that was basically a hole in the wall with no light, just dark and grungy. The bed linen and bed looked fine, but together with the pokey bathroom, dirty upholstery, cracked door frames and communal areas I actually rebooked into The Wales hotel which was significantly nicer, on Madison Ave and marginally cheaper! I was even prepared to forfeit my refund for that night, as I didn't want to sleep there. Worst of all - Booking.com has not responded to any of my emails about the situation. Very unimpressed!

This hotel was really not at all what the photos looked like or the lovely reviews bespoke. The location is great, it's very central to both shopping and museums but the rest is like a bad Fawlty Towers episode.

The location was excellent for me - a very easy and pleasant...
    • Queen Room

The location was excellent for me - a very easy and pleasant walk to ‘Museum Mile’ and Central Park, and the hotel was very good value for that part of NYC. I liked the way the hotel retains so many original features of the building - like the Art Deco lift.

Was ok for our purpose.
    • Queen Room

Hotel is tired---wallpaper pealing, rugs dirty. Needs restoration. Complimentary breakfast was terrible. Construction that is going on is very noisy in the a.m.

Friendly check in---escorted to room.

Inconveinent location , extreme noise. Totally negative stay. Thank goodnes it was just for one ni
    • Small Queen Room

Given the above complaints, we should at least receive some amount of a return on the outrageous price we paid for the 3rd class hotel.

The hotel was located in the middle of three construction sites with drilling going on from 7am to 4pm. Then another construction site started up with a big pounding sound for most of the night. I WILL NEVER BOOK WITH BOOKING . COM AGAIN. THE LEAST YOU COULD DO WAS TO BE HONEST WITH US ABOUT THE LOCATION AND CONSTRUCTION NOISE DAY AND NIGHT.

• Small Queen Room

Like the vibe but hope for a better room next time.
    • Small Queen Room

I’m used to small hotel rooms in NYC and other places, but this one bordered on being cramped. The closet was barely big enough for two coats. The sink was in the bedroom, not the bathroom, and no drinking glasses/cups were provided. There was also no hairdryer in the room, even though it was easy enough to get one from the front desk. Considering the price paid, which was supposed to be a deal, I was somewhat disappointed. I almost felt like we got a sub-standard room, although I didn’t see others to compare.

I have always wanted to stay at The Franklin because it is close to my daughters UES apartment and it seemed like a quaint boutique hotel. I was excited to book room for Mother’s Day as there haven’t been rooms available at other times. The wonderful, kind, friendly, helpful staff was the best thing about The Franklin. Also having coffee and breakfast items included was a nice perk. As was the breakfast room and cozy lounge. Our small queen room had an extremely comfortable bed and was very clean.

Convenient and the right price
    • Small Queen Room

Building looks a little run down on the inside, like it needs a fresh coat of paint and some new carpet. My room was actually decorated well. Small quarters, standard for many hotels in NYC.

Good location and price for NYC. Enjoyed being able to walk to Central Park and hop on the subway very easily.

Great location & comfortable
    • Small Queen Room

There was a lot of noise from the construction next door, but ear plugs did the trick. The hotel was what we expected, so there are no other dislikes.

The bed was very comfortable & the room was clean. It was in a great location for our purposes and we enjoyed the position in terms of getting to Central Park, the Met & Neue Gallerie. The breakfast was simple but good.

It was adequate

See above

The staff was pleasant and accommodating the problem was the bathroom the sink was very small in a alcove without proper lighting bed was uncomfortable and pillows were too small but I did get two extra from front desk

Excellent location.
    • Small Queen Room

The room was a bit small for the price but clean and acceptable. The sink was placed so tightly in a small space that it was hard to maneuver.

Excellent location. Clean fine hotel.

The Franklin was a nice surprise.
    • Queen Room

The front desk gentleman was a bit snarky on arrival but everyone else was friendly. The breakfast while sparse was ok if you are in a hurry.

The Franklin was a surprise gem. It was a cool little boutique hotel in a quaint neighborhood. The rooms while small were awesome. They were meticulously clean, smelled fresh with great beds. We needed to ask for more pillows but when they came they were great. Small room, bathroom but comfortable and clean. The breakfast was sparse but ok if you were in a hurry and my favorite was the Beekman Boys soaps and shampoo.

Great location but very uncomfortable.
    • Small Queen Room

The bath tub did not drain properly but the staff tried and finally fixed it. Our request for wash cloths was not filled. The facility is in serious need of maintenance: there are stained carpets, ripped wallpaper, worn furniture. The room was not big enough to allow space to fully open my suitcase. The included breakfast is very scant.

The staff was very friendly, polite, and tried to be helpful.

This is the third time we've stayed and know what to expect.
    • Queen Room

Breakfast was pretty poor, mostly lower quality breads and a limited selection of cold cereal. There was weak coffee and hot water, but no regular (black) tea. We ended up eating at a bakery on the corner where you could get a variety of egg, meat, yogurt and fresh fruit, nice baked goods, or oatmeal. You could get a better breakfast at the food trucks than at this hotel.

Most important to us was to be near the Met Museum of Art--we could walk there in 15 minutes. The location is also good in terms of being near places to eat, drugstore, Wholefoods, Starbucks all just steps away. The rooms are small but clean and comfortable and the price is very reasonable for New York.

A home away from home.
    • Small Queen Room

Only a small thing but more power points in the room to charge devices would be great and they could improve their wifi quality.

The hotel is old but cosy and quaint. It feels like old New York and I loved it. The staff were so lovely. Especially Taina and Diamond - awesome and so professional. Really well located to Museum Mile, Central Park, subway and great eateries at all price points. Very comfy bed too

Great staff.
    • Small Queen Room

The breakfast. Little choice and poor quality (especially bread and croissant). Additionally, for 2 days they were out of most everything before 10:00am.

Great staff. Clean room. Close to major subway lines.

Definitely not a great place to stay at for a long time. Not recommended.
    • Small Queen Room

Breakfast Wi-Fi connection 2 Elevator (it would break down half the time) Key cards (we had to get new ones almost everyday) Heating system Air conditioning Small rooms (no variety in the types of rooms as well) Tight corridors Small reception

House keeping

The location is great.
    • Studio

I have stayed before and the rooms are super small. Beware! There used to be a cappuccino maker available 24/7 that is gone and they didn't replace it! It was a big sell for me. They said it was too expensive to replace but I have one in my house! :-/ The free breakfast is fine to get you going but one day they had like cheap left over garlic bread made from hoagie rolls instead of the french bread - that was not good but just one day!

The location is great. The staff is wonderful. Free breakfast and coffee.

Nice hotel in a good location with some bits to improve. External parking and a very poor breakfast.
    • Small Queen Room

Parking stated as a feature of the hotel was an outside parking that happened to be on the same street. No help with booking it and no response to our message. Room was too hot, heated up too much without any possibility to regulate. Almost impossible to sleep. Breakfast is a joke as in other hotels these would be called 'all day snacks'.

Nice location, very close to the central park.

Good value for NYC and good location.
    • Queen Room

Website says they have robes in the room but there are none. No amenities in the room like coffee, glasses, ice or bottles of water. Coffee from downstairs is cold in the afternoon and no where in the hotel to get a bottle of water.

Good value for the hotel quality and location. Comfortable bed and good shower. Overall a nice room and good price for NYC, would book again.

Disappointment
    • Small Queen Room

Breakfast was a bad joke.actually was no breakfast. Don’t book because they offer it. The carpet is 100 years old. the windows were not insulated and you could feel the breeze. Total renovation asap. Location very far from the action. Expensive overall for what was offered!!

Only the staff! Not recommending it for no one!

Uncomfortable
    • Queen Room

Bed was uncomfortable. Room was too small. Breakfast wasn’t available until 7:00 am. No coffee or tea in rooms or available in hotel until 7:00 am.

Staff were friendly

I would go there again when I am in the area.
    • Small Queen Room

'Breakfast' was pretty minimal, but sufficient for my preference.

Very quaint old building, but well maintained and beautiful. Reasonably priced and one of the few hotels in the upper east side.

Nice, cozy room.
    • Small Queen Room

There was construction going on at the road in front of the hotel, but that's of course temporary and well outside of the hotel's influence.

Nice, cozy room. Good comfortable bed. The location was great, walking distance from the Met.

This hotel could be so charming if someone could update the interior and improve management
    • Small Queen Room

Our room was cold the first night with only 1 pillow each and a thin extra blanket. The carpet in the room looked extremely shabby as did the furniture. All the carpet and furniture in the hotel, needed updating years ago. The room also needed to have new furniture that would be thoughtful and efficient for the size of the room. All the rooms are quite small but this time in our room, you could not open the closet door more than about 12 inches due to an oversized desk. And the bathroom had no lighting over the sink.

We love the location of the hotel, it's old world charm, near the subway and many museums on the upper East side. The place is very small and could be quite cozy if updated. The bathroom was updated and clean although very tiny. The room was extremely quiet even though we were next to the elevator.

Waste of money
    • Small Queen Room

I booked for 2 adults and 1 child. The reservation said they could accommodate us. When we arrived the room was a 100 sqft room with a Queen bed. I asked for the room that could accommodate us she said it can with a cot, but they’re no more cots. Later we asked for towels bc they only had two in the room; then a couple hrs later we asked for additional pillows bc the had two small ones o. The bed. The manager was very nasty to my husband. She remarked he could have asked when asking for the towels. We frequently stay in the city and have stayed at hotels that cost less than the Franklin. I would not recommend this hotel; you would be wasting your money

• Small Queen Room

The bathroom was smaller than our closet.. my husband had to turn sideways to shave. Touted as a Non-smoking hotel... there was cigarette smoke coming through the bathroom ventilation. Hmmm. Breakfast was extremely poor. So one night was enough. I would have been upset had this been a lengthy stay.

Location was spot on for what we were doing and the front desk staff was extremely cordial and pleasant. Bed was comfortable enough, but ask for extra pillows.

Confortable bed
    • Small Queen Room

Bread wasn't fresh Yogurts past of date The hairdrayer did not fit the elecrticity plug The bath wather was difficult to regulate, or cold or very very hot

Confortable bed Nice people Close to stores

Very pleasant, best place for our needs
    • Small Queen Room

Breakfast was light but just enough to get you going.

I liked the quaintness, very friendly staf. Allowed us to check in an hour early. I wanted to go to shake shack it was a block away. Wanted to go to drug store CVS in the corner. Starbucks on the corner. Caught a taxi in 5 minutes of trying. Our reason for staying was to go to the MET for ta tour. Super easy to get there. And it was reasonable. Very pleased over all. I’d stay again.

Relaxing
    • Queen Room

Breakfast could have been better Me and my husband had to order breakfast from restaurant. Didn't get complementary wine and cheese.

Quietness friendly front desk Name:Diamond.

Friendly staff, convenient if you’re out and about.
    • Queen Room

The heating in the room wasn’t adjustable other than a air conditioner that was very loud. the radiator let out a hissing noise that kept you up, and the window only opened slightly. This made sleeping difficult.

The staff were really friend and happy to help with what they could. The hotel was close to travel links and Central Park.

We love the area but our recent stays at this hotel have been dissapointing.
    • Studio

We have often stayed at this hotel, and it has steadily declined. The front desk personnel are indifferent, the "breakfast" quality has become laughable (coffee machine has been removed, breakfast croissants were stale and cheap imitation of real croissants, hot water for tea is served in a carafe that is refilled sporadically, the tea choices include no black breakfast tea ("we ran out", the same excuse we heard in our visit several months ago) , the furniture in the common areas is falling apart, the blistering hot room requires the running of noisy air conditioning to become habitable. Sadly we used to love this hotel despite it's extremely high price and it's tiny rooms, but now we wish there was an alternative in the same area.

The location is a plus because it is the only hotel in the area near our family. Showat (sp?) the doorman is wonderful and friendly, but he is the exception. The room was clean.

I would stay there again. Hopefully the rude couple was an aberration.
    • Small Queen Room

My first night there I was awakened at 1:00 am by a couple in a nearby room having a very loud (shouting) argument that went on for some time. I finally called the desk and they sent up someone to ask the couple to quiet down. The argument continued another half hour at a somewhat lower volume and eventually ended up in the hallway. I called the desk again and they sent up someone to ask them to quiet down. Finally the arguing ended. The second night was all quiet, thankfully.

The hotel had a nice "European" feel. Small rooms but clean and tastefully decorated (complete with small chandelier in my room, old wood-paneled elevator, front sitting area. The bed was comfortable.