Reviews of ARC THE.HOTEL, Washington DC 3 stars

824 New Hampshire Avenue NW, Northwest, Washington, DC 20037, USA

#78 of 138 hotels in Washington

• Standard Queen Room

Notice that the 1st floor was under renovation and exterior was unapproachable but once inside it was terrific. It was confusion at curb appeal.

The cost per night was terrific but expected once I arrived and found the main floor of the hotel and lobby was being renovated. Great location. Design and room decor very handsome and very operational.

• Deluxe Single Room

Had to take room key cards back twice during stay because they hadn't been activated properly. Front desk never answered phone during our whole stay. Rooms need to have a microwave. No swimming pool. Didn't know about renovations until taxi tried to drop us at front entrance.

Room was awesome. Bathroom and especially shower was exquisite. Bed was VERY comfortable. GREAT TV!!!

• Queen Room with Garden View

Lost power one day which led to no/spotty wi-fi for about 24 hours and no tv signal. Also, our A/C went out one night but came back on the next day.

Bathroom was very nice and updated. Bed and pillows were comfortable.

• Standard Queen Room

Bathroom has issues. Toilet paper holder, sliding door no lock. Bath door designed such a way that people can not understand which side to open. Where it has problem that if we close in other way, it opens automatically

Room is good

• Deluxe Queen Room

Parking is non existent. Closest garage if you can’t find a one in a million street spot is $24 a day. Currently the hotel is under construction which reduced the parking and had you trying to find the entrance on the back side of the building. Beds were made without a top flat sheet both days. Not sure if this is their standard or a mistake. When we got sheets both times it was a weird top sheet that was sewn together.

Property is centrally located to everything you want to go visit when in town yet in a quiet area. The rooms are spacious and new with great amenities. The beds were super comfortable and the sheets were superior. Staff was super nice and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay with them.

• Large Single Room

The temporary construction work made it difficult to reach. Moreso, the cost was a bit higher than anticipated contrasted with other leading properties, exacerbated by the fact I was not told of a breakfast option or availability of a business center during check-in; maybe the construction prevented the breakfast option? I looked but couldn't find any room-service order materials in the room, either. (I did very much like the easy online room reservation process, though.)

The bed was extra comfy, and the pillows super soft. Slept very well! I also applaud the easy online reservation process.

• Deluxe Queen Room

I just stayed at the ARC and at check-in indicated to the front desk that the charges needed to be charged to the credit card ending in x9060. I provided the Credit Card Authorization form from my institution with the credit card information and the receptionist filed it. The front desk asked for another credit card for incidental charges, and I provided my card ending in x5397. I reiterated that all the charges to the room should go under the x9060 card and he asked me to speak with the receptionist the following day to make sure, which I did. I was nevertheless charged $320.29 to the x5379 card as you can see from the attachments. I would like those funds reimbursed and properly charged, as was requested at check-in. My office manager, copied above, attempted dozens of times to call and fax the credit card authorization form before my arrival in order to avoid an issue like this, and she got no answer on your fax machine and could get no one to answer the phone. (I showed a copy of the ‘no answer’ receipt from your fax to the front desk). The incorrectly charged credit card was the least of the problems, however. Nowhere in the emails I received about my stay, in the hotel description online, or even in the fine print (all attached here) was it disclosed that the hotel was undergoing major construction.

Nothing about the hotel was good.

• Deluxe Queen Room

Did not know Hotel was undergoing massive renovations. Staff was excellent and room itself Was decent with bath excellent. According to info it should be finished by August. Parking an Issue.

• Standard Queen Room

There was no parking when the website says there's parking. We stayed for two nights. Every morning at 8AM there's people making a lot of noises from the remodeling. That woke up my whole family. Wish there was breakfast. Sound insulation as poor.

The staffs were awesome and the cleaness in the room was great. Wish there was breakfast.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We contacted the hotel before leaving but did not get the info we needed. On top of it we asked the hotel to move the reservation of one day but they refused. Upon arrival they gave us a room with two small queen size beds, fine for my son but too small for me and my husband sharing it. The first morning we tried the breakfast but was a rip off given the price we paid for only a slice of normal bread and jam (no sign of cakes or croissant or muffin as in the picture of the hotel), some fruit and unhealthy sugary cereals. The next day we booked a taxi to go to the airport and the car arrived 40 minutes before so we ended up at the airport too soon. The area surrounding the hotel was perhaps too quiet and we had to walk a lot before we could find a restaurant.

We did not like the hotel much. The room not super clean. Not enough towels and toiletries. Smelly carpet. There was a preset alarm that woke us up in the middle of the night.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Once one gets past the shiny renovated lobby, the establishment shows serious signs of wear and tear. Both elevators are deeply scarred in places, and one smelled strongly of mildew. Wallpaper in the room was beginning to peel at the joints and plastic baseboards were coming away from the wall in places. The carpet in the room had many stains. Even the toilet seat was chipped and dented. Basic cleanliness was fine but housekeeping was still a bit hit-and-miss. Towel replacements were spotty; the hand soap turned into a soggy mess within about a day but the soap was never replaced and the soap dish was never cleaned out. Soundproofing was less than ideal.

An outstanding location in an attractive, peaceful neighborhood, convenient to both the Foggy Bottom Metro and Kennedy Center. Numerous restaurants and a Whole Foods nearby. A charming, energetic staff. Wifi was very good and consistent.

no complaints

Hotel very close to train station so getting to airport very easy Staff helped us confirm our plane travel very very good service coffee at reception and free cookies or free fruit at front desk great extras as well as laundry available. Would highly recommend this hotel which is easy walking to Georgetown and all points of interest

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Little old hotel, but good service

Perfect hotel, very good location, 19min walk to Lincoln memorial.. Quiet and clean room. near the subway 5 min walk.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Carpet needs replacing in the rooms. Overall, maintenance could be better. The handle on the faucet in the bathroom came off in my hand. Seems silly, but the dish soap in the kitchen wasn't new and full. I would prefer to feel like everything is new and I am the first person using things - including the toilet paper.

Location. Full kitchen with a microwave and full size refrigerator.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

I was very cold: while air conditioner was excellent and heater didn't work, I needed a heater on since I was very cold. Besides, since the weather was very humid at the time in DC, I really wished that I could turn on heater. If it was a bit cheaper, I could have stayed longer.

Cleaning lady and door man was very friendly. While facilities are a bit old, room (bed, towels, restroom, shower..) was clean . It is close to subway station (5min) and walking distance to NAS (15min) and the whitehouse. From DCA airport, Supershuttle (one way) costs only $14.

The piped music in all the common areas was a bit much, as it meant that you either had to go outside or to the room to make a phone call without disturbance.

In a quiet location near to a metro station and restaurants/shops. Good size room for the price.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed for two weeks, while waiting for our new home's move-in date. So we consciously chose a place with a kitchenette; we only had a microwave, coffeepot and little fridge, however, no sink, counter or other things that would make that length of stay as easy as planned (and as the generic photos suggested). It turned out that with a dog we had to be on a floor that didn't have what we thought we had booked so we got tired of food from boxes or eating out. The wifi was fine for e-mails and my work needs, not so for my son's games.

We like the neighborhood very much--close to the Kennedy Center, and M Street, and in the midst of Foggy Bottom/GWU so lots of eateries (including Sweet Green and Whole Foods and good Thai) nearby. We appreciated the friendliness of the staff very much, and that we could have our sweet little dog with us. The water and coffee in the lobby in the morns was also a nice touch.

• One-Bedroom Suite

We had booked a one bedroom apartment with sofa bed, expecting one person to sleep on the sofa bed. However it was very very uncomfortable. They delivered a roller bed which was marginally better so the sofa sleeper put that mattress on top of the sofa bed mattress, but alas got very little sleep. So they booked another room the next morning for the remainder of the stay.

Good location right by the metro, only a couple of stops to the museums etc. Great having a fridge and microwave although the non-apartment room had no utensils.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bathroom wallpaper peeled away behind shower curtain exposing crudy underneath

Beds are sooooo comfortable. Location is superb. Staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

the toilet is broken after I use it once. I mean that it can not stop from flowing water. I feel an insect crowing on my neck when I working in my room and I tap it to die without seeing what it exactly look like. horrible because I am afraid of insect.

location. near GWU. easy to find.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We didn't have breakfast in the hotel so I can't evaluate that.

Overall my stay was very close to perfect. The staff is very nice, helpful and pet-friendly. The hotel is extremely clean. I had no issues during my stay.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very spacious rooms, comfortable beds,soft pillows and mattresses,glass cups for water and ceramic cups for coffee makes you feel like you are at home. Staff is very friendly- perfect location walking distance to the main historical sites, Whole Foods,metro station . Great place!

• One-Bedroom Suite

I was kind of iffy when we pulled up to the hotel as it didn't really look like a hotel. Once we stepped in, our fears were put at ease as the staff was courteous, the room was spacious enough for 6 people and it was clean. My family enjoyed their stay and I'd recommend it over the Marriott across the street.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Everything, in particular, the front desk worker, Adrienna. She was so kind, helpful, and very sweet to our daughter. She truly helped make our experience what it was.

Noisy air conditioning.

Good location - subway and walking. Spacious room. Mostly quiet. Wifi works fine. Free bottled water. Happy hour in the bar. Worth the money.

• One-Bedroom Suite

We only had one complaint. When we booked the room, we named 2 adults and 4 children, even providing the ages of the children (8, 11, 15, and 16). When we entered the room, only then did we learn the room had one king bed and a pull out couch. I explained to the desk that we booked a room for six. We were told this was the largest room they had, and they would give two roll away beds. The beds came immediately. It made the room a little crowded for so many people. I assumed a room for 6 would include 2 queen beds and a pull-out couch. I had to go request more towels. The room was set up with only 3 towels for a room booked for six. There happened to be another guest standing there when I explain we had six people. She said she also booked on Booking.com for six and had no idea there would be only 2 beds. Luckily, my family brought extra pillows and blankets for our car ride. We didn't have to ask for more. We were only staying two nights, so it was fine, but I would suggest Booking.com make it clear so guests can prepare accordingly.

The staff at the hotel was exceptional. Every worker we encountered was helpful and very friendly. Upon arrival, we learned valet parking would cost $47/night, but a worker was quick to point out we could save money by parking on the side street. He led my husband directly to an open spot (that we could see from our room.) The location of the property was perfect! It was a very quaint street with plenty around to do. We were able to walk less than 1/2 mile to delicious restaurants, Whole Foods, and Starbucks! We even had a pizza delivered to our room! The National Mall was very close as well (about 1.5 miles away). I was able to enjoy a beautiful 6 mile run along the river, around the Lincoln Memorial, down to Capitol Hill and home again. The room was big, clean and comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

some late night noise from the pull up region outside entrance, but nothing too serious.

Room was quite large and lots of nooks and crannies to store things. No problem with two kids and two adults for four days. this is a solid hotel choice for DC.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was pretty happy with everything.

The staff was incredible. They were among the most polite and pleasant we have been around in our travels. Helpful and knowledgeable about the city and the easiest ways to get to places and the navigation of the metro.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The University Inn is in a great location for walking to many sites and restaurants. We felt safe walking all over this area with our children and the hotel staff was very friendly and professional. Our room was spacious, clean, and quiet. The housekeeping service respected our schedule and kept the room very cleam.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The apartments generally are clean but old. The size is great and the bed in the master room is comfortable. The fold out bed is comfy with two mattresses. The bathroom was cleaned daily but there are alot of marks on the walls, stains that make it look unclean. Wall paper coming off in places.

Great staff, very friendly and helpful. Loved the coffee in the foyer in the mornings a great touch. Very helpful when I left my passport in the safe. Organised it to be sent by FedEx with no problems at all.

I had to park my vehicle three blocks away because they don't had room for a pick up truck!!

Location only, but the price in the restaurant was outrageous for breakfast alone.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The room was extremely dirty and dusty. Everyone sneezed throughout the duration of our stay. We had to pay for the continental breakfast which did not state this information on the website. The entire Inn was dirty except for the outside. We would not recommend or stay at University Inn ever again. My family was highly disappointed. It is not worth the money. You would think that all that money they charge they would at least clean it up! 4.2 is way to generous.

I can't say there was anything that I liked.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Parking is a big issue. Would be nice to have somewhere to leave the car for the entire trip.

Excellent staff, view, and accessability to the city. Very quiet and plenty of room.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

Suite was recommended for 2 adults and four children. There was one double bed and one pull out sofa bed. When we asked for an extra bed they said it would be $20 per night, which we refused to pay. We ended up 3 in the double bed. Room not suitable as advertised

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The entrance and lobby was too small. The carpet in the room was too old and looks not clean.

The location was great. It's near the national mall.

$47 parking per night

Location was excellent and within walking distance to several area restaurants in the foggy bottom district. Only a short run or hike to the White House. Very comfortable bed and spacious suite

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Originally booked room with two double beds not suitable for more tha. 2 people, The beds are really just for single use. Bathrooms in need of renovation.

Excellent location, very friendly staff, bedroom en suite with kitchenette ideal for a family, spacious quiet and pleasant. Good value for money.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The whole room needs to be remodeled including its all furnitures, kitchen and mostly the bathroom should be remodeled new and up to date! It's an old hotel that needs to be replaced with a new one!

The location is fair!

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

For 4 days we had 50 degree weather but the hotel had no heat. They claimed that the pipes were so old that once the heat was turned off for the season there would be no heat until winter. They provided us with a small space heater but we were still quite uncomfortable. The hotel should clearly state in their hotel description that providing heat is not possible year round.

Most of the staff was very good. We liked the kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave, and stove.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

The room was not heated and while that may be OK this next weekend, it was distinctly cool the first two nights.

Property is a bit shopworn; it needs an update soon.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was unexpectedly very cold in DC and the hotel had already switched from heat to AC. Finally on the 4th out of 5 nights, the hotel went back to heat. However for the first four nights it was in the low 50's in the room.

Very large room, instant hot water in the shower, mini fridge, EXCELLENT staff, great location

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

The decortaion and facilities (inl lifts etc.) are very dated and need updating. It is on the filght path for Regan Airport and suffers from the associated noise. The doors to room are very heavy and very noise when closed.

The staff were very friendly and helpful The location is good but suyffers from Airplane noise.

• Reviewed: 7 May 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

Very noisy guests next to us first night. I was on phone with manager 4 times from 3:00am to 4:30am!!! This was very unexceptable! The staff did move our room the next morning but no compensation was offered. No discount, no breakfast, not even a cup of coffee. I found this extremely disappointing.

The room was comfortable, great little kitchen. Staff very friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room is old and a window was partly broken so there was much noise (we advised the hotel staff but could not fix it completely). There are no particular attractions around the hotel and the beds were small for a staying of 4 persons.

Very friendly staff

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

The falling rate of exchange between the dollar and the UK pound made this expensive for us!

This was a nice but slightly old fashioned hotel in a good location, just a stone's throw from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. There are really no public spaces but we had a suite so the fmaily could gather together easily.

• Reviewed: 8 April 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Older, non traditional hotel building. Small bathroom, outdated tv, lack of flexibility from management with revising length of stay.

Proximity to Metro

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

First off when I got up to my room, You could not turn adjust the air. There was only heat and when the it read that the heat was off it was still blowing hot air. we had to crack the window. They ended up charging my card 3 times for the one night and the response I got was "its isn't working." i had to call my bank to have her tell the women she charged my card twice and thwn when i leave i ended up being charged 3 times...

See above

Room should have had two reading chairs and a table. More than one portion of coffee per person would have been nice. Room was spacious and magnolia by the window cheerful. Restaurant/bar was good in the evening. Location was quiet.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

They blocked the entire sum of money on our credit card at arrival and kept it blocked for some time even when we paid the whole sum again on checking out.

Very good location close to the centrum and metro station, very pleasant and helpfull personell, well equiped rooms with coffee maker, fridge, microwave owen and bathtube. Good restaurant, unfortunately closed on Mondays. Next trip to Washington we will certainly stay in the same Hotel.

• Reviewed: 23 March 2017

The walls are very thin and you can easily hear what your neighbors are saying, and doing. Booking.com completely unresponsive to need to change reservation due to medical emergency. Avoid booking.com!!

Friendly, helpful staff.

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Facility is not modernized, i.e. limited climate control, bit like an old apartment.

5 minute walk to Foggy Bottom metro on the blue line, and very convenient for visits to GWU. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

booking mistake with wrong prices by hotel side. But their staffs were kind enough to deal with such mistake immediately by phone and email.

spacious room. good access to metro station. whole foods and trader joe's nearby. Situated in quite safe area ,compared with other parts of the town.

• Reviewed: 8 March 2017

The rooms are large but very inefficient in layout with small and inconvenient bathrooms. They really need an upgrade

The location is great, with the added bonus of a Whole Foods very close by

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

Very convenient location, friendly and professional staff, charming room and hotel facilities. Good value for money compared to other places I have checked.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Could be updated. Room temperature was okay, but not sure the thermostat was very responsive. If someone needs the room to be very cold or warm, it might be difficult to achieve. Refrigerator froze my water bottles and soda. Not a huge deal, just annoying when I wanted a cold drink and couldn't drink a block of ice until it thawed.

Room was very spacious. A lot of open floor space. 2 minute walk to 7-11. 5 minute walk to metro.

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Shower needed some repair as when it is transferred from 'bath' to 'shower' the water still spills out of the faucet along with the overhead showerhead.

Although the hotel is a little old, it has a great atmosphere, classical music playing in the foyer and by far the most comfortable bed I've slept in, in ages. Location is fantastic. Restaurants nearby, walking distance to Metro and Lincoln Memorial. Free Wifi in rooms - great!

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Bed bugs! Woke up at 3 am and found a bed bug. Also, rooms are very dated and carpet was not clean. There were crumbs on the floor and hair in the tub.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

While pets are allowed the hotel isn't pet friendly at all. There is no place to let the dog out and there is no trash can for the doggie bags apart from the lobby trash can (which seems wrong) and the smoker's pit trash can.

The rooms are nice and spacious. The beds aren't sharing a wall which is wonderful. The staff is absolutely wonderful and there were waterbottles in the room!

• Reviewed: 26 January 2017

• One-Bedroom Suite

A bigger sign outside to identify the property. We arrived at night and could not see the property until we were literally on top of it.

Loved the size of the suite. It was perfect for a family of 4 and a dog.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

The hotel is aging and rooms need general maintenance and renovation. Cleanliness is poor. Shower is awful.

Location is the best! Room size is very good, with plenty space for clothes. Frigobar is in a separate area.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

No hot water in bathroom unless you kept the water in kitchen sink running hot took ten minutes to get the kitchen water hot! The carpets, walls, furniture are shop worn and overall place needs a upgrade esp for price. There was no pre booking notice that there would not be any food service for four days due to holidays .

Bed was good and location is excellent for us

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel seems to be popular among student, youth and sport groups. During two out of five nights we suffered from quite a lot of noise from other rooms (incl. loud music and drinking) and the hotel staff did very little to stop that. Some of the rooms have places for 6, but the staff doesn't seem to care how many actually spend the night there. So good night's sleep is not guaranteed in this hotel.

Beds were comfortable. Microwave oven and fridge were ok. Room was clean.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Restaurant not very good to put it mildly. Try to take a shower in room 309, very little warm water. Mattrasses... hm. Elevator had frequent hick ups.

Very good location! Close to metro and walk to Pennsylvania Ave.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Didn't like that we could not use our AAA card for a discount even though they normally take it

Doesn't look so nice from the outside, but really nice on the inside

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

A problem at checkout--different price from what booking.com said. The two were rectified satisfactorily.

Very spacious rooms, great location. Clean.

• Reviewed: 9 December 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very friendly and helpfull staff. The hotel is situated near the metro station. You can reach the center of Washington by foot. The price-performance ratio was very good. We had a large and quiet room with kingsize bed and kitchenette. Good stores to buy food are nearby.

• Reviewed: 30 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The breakfast was expensive for what is on offer and of poor quality. Valet parking is $40 per day! Drinks expensive in the bar.

The suite was comfortable. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Location was good as everywhere was in walkable distance.

• Reviewed: 29 November 2016

• One-Bedroom Suite

I've stayed at this hotel every time I've visited my daughter at GWU, and I love it! The staff is friendly and helpful, and the location can't be beat! The restaurant's food is yummy, and the rooms are spacious!

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

very friendly and professional people. Location is perfect to visit DC: close to subway, close to city bikes spot, 10 minutes walk to restaurant on waterfront, etc ...

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I would have overlooked the general seediness if I hadn't been paying so much. They could at least have thrown in a complimentary breakfast--luckily I found out in time that that would have been another outrage.

• Reviewed: 6 November 2016

The pillows....too lumpy. it could be very hot in summer .

Fantastic location.Big room with cooking facilities.lovely quaint building.Quiet.staff very helpful.clean.

• Reviewed: 4 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Didn't realize that the parking would be $40 per day extra. Assumed it would be included in the rate of the room.

Attractive lobby and enjoyed the Italian restaurant

• Reviewed: 3 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Some of the reception staff seemed unknowledgeable and stupid Overpriced for a 3 star hotel

Rooms were large comfortable and had all the necessary items The hotel is very cute

• Reviewed: 27 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no double glazing to the windows, so was woken each day at 6am by aircraft from local airport, also by anyone talking outside the main entrance. The decor badly in need of makeover. Access to the breakfast room was along a dark corridor past the kitchen and into a dingy cellar. We had breakfast once.

Location was good, quite near to the metro.

• Reviewed: 16 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location for DC sights such as the White House and the Mall, as well as a short walk to Georgetown. Easy access to the metro. Spacious room and while not super modern in style, was very clean and comfortable.