Reviews of The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Michigan Avenue Chicago 4 stars

521 North Rush Street, River North, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#77 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Great hotel in a handy location. Really enjoyed our first stay in Chicago.
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Would have been nice to have had a 'Happy Hour' or cocktail hour in the early evening.

Lovely large bedrooms and a great shower. Really nice terrace next to the bar area to sit in. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Superior King Room

Two of three days we didn't get our room cleaned. Bar staff was slow and then gave me a card to rate her on trip advisor. Did not like that at all, not from a fancy hotel.

Fantastic hotel, location could not be any better.
    • Superior King Room

View from our window could have been better than the side of a building.

Fantastic hotel, location could not be any better. Value for money is superb. Rooms are extremely clean, comfortable, and airy. Staff were extremely professional and helpful

A super classy and comfortable place to stay in an...
    • Superior King Room

I would like the 5th floor bar/lobby area to be a bit more partitioned, where more private gatherings are possible. As it is, it's totally open, so when the lobby/bar is busy, it doesn't feel cozy.

A super classy and comfortable place to stay in an outstanding area of downtown Chicago. Excellent service and friendly staff.

Good location, great atmosphere, clean.
    • Superior King Room

Had a view looking into an office building but can't really expect anything else in Chicago..

Good location, great atmosphere, clean. Bartenders at lobby bar super nice. Connected to mall so super convenient for shopping!

Excellent property in a great location with great staff.
    • Superior King Room

Very minor problem with sink stopper not pulling up completely so drain was a bit slow. My partner didn’t like the shape of the sink (long and shallow rectangle) although I did.

Excellent hotel for the price in a great location. Staff is really the key to setting it over the edge.

This was a beautiful hotel with such friendly staff.
    • Superior King Room

This was a beautiful hotel with such friendly staff. We needed a few more blankets and towels delivered to the room and they were at our door in 5 minutes. Such great service. The hotel itself is in a wonderful location, just a 5 minute walk to the river walk.

Very luxurious hotel!
    • Superior King Room

The Gwen was so beautiful and such an amazing stay! They were able to check us in an hour early. Our room was so lovely and had a huge soaking tub. I wish I could stay at the Gwen every weekend!

It was excellent, can’t wait to stay there again!
    • Superior King Room

The shower setup with the pumps for shampoo and conditioner bolted to the wall. Pumps didn’t work well and since it was attached to wall, you couldn’t open it up and use the shampoo.

The location was awesome, connected to the mall for easy access to shopping and right near mag mile and all the shops and restaurants, lots to do around there. The hotel room was very nice, bed was comfy, light blocking curtains were good, but the staff was outstanding. Especially at check in, very friendly and since it was our anniversary looked for a room with a view for us. Very much appreciated her kindness. Breakfast was excellent too, better than I expected from a hotel.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom lay out...
    • Superior King Room

In room coffee pot without having to ask for it would have been nice.

The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom lay out was a nice change for sure! The morning coffee in the loby was welcomed and the fruit infused water a nice treat.

Wonderful place with memorable decor, but odd little lapses they need to fix.
    • Junior King Suite

It's odd that at such a wonderful place there were funny little oversights/misdesigns/slips. We had two reservations. In one room the card on the bed telling you about Gwen Lux was folded and seemed as though it had been recycled (which is perhaps admirable). Weird. The electrical outlets in the bathrooms, both the regular and the suite, were so effectively hidden behind the towels that it took some detective work to find them. There was no light in the small room with the toilet (vs the rest of the bathroom) so you needed to leave the door open to see. In contrast the floor light fixture in the suites blinded you unless you took a bulb out, since they were pointed in four directions, so you couldn't rotate it to point away from people, and couldn't be adjusted to tilt up/down. The soap/shampoo were great but the bottles dispensed so little that you were pumping away to get enough to use. And in this wonderful, luxurious hotel, the coffee in the room had Coffeemate, not even real cream.

The view from our north-facing suite on 17 was fantastic; the room down on 8 was just of other buildings, but it's downtown Chicago. The decor (Gwen's) is a reason to stay here and it did not disappoint. We had breakfast at the Circa and that was quite good. With the location you can do better nearby, although it's great to know you can roll out of bed and have an excellent breakfast. Didn't try other meals. Staff was really first rate throughout.

We arrived a bit early and were greeted by friendly staff.
    • Grand Deluxe King Room

We arrived a bit early and were greeted by friendly staff. They held our bags and offered us a cocktail while we waited to check in. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathroom was clean and full of everything we needed. The location of the hotel is a dream - connected right to the Shops at North Bridge. We'd love to go back and take our daughter, whose name happens to be Gwen. She'd have a great time there, too. The pool, the restaurants, the fun family activities all around. We'll definitely stay at The Gwen again.

This property and staff were magnificent!
    • Superior King Room

This property and staff were magnificent!! My husband got so sick and the staff went above and beyond to help us get to the hospital. They were so attentive that they called when we returned to ask if they could help us pick anything up for us, run errands or anything to help. I'm truly grateful for their help. Would highly recommend this hotel. Excellent!

Best hotel for shoppers with close proximity to the Magnificent Mile.
    • Superior King Room

Could hear doors slamming from other guests rooms in the morning. Was overcharged for a upgraded room that I didn't get and had over $100 in charges at the lounge that we never visited. Hopefully this will be resolved by the management.

Indoor access to Nordstroms and the Shops at North Bridge, king bed was comfy, bathroom was roomy with a enclosed toilet room, a empty refrigerator you can stock yourself, friendly staff.

The room sizes were great and the bathrooms were amazing.
    • Superior King Room

No mini bar which we appreciate and guy have to up one set of elevators to the lobby and then a second set - past all the restaurants etc to get to the rooms. Not ideal if you aren't really dressed to be "seen"

The room sizes were great and the bathrooms were amazing. Very comfortable and relatively quiet for the downtown location.

Awesome!!!
    • Superior King Room

Everyone was so helpful and friendly...both the staff and other guests. It was delightful to be in such an atmosphere. We were there to meet with foreign exchange student from Brazil that we hosted 20 years ago. It was wonderful to be with her and family.

Overall had great experience in Chicago fo
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I upgraded my room before my reservation was locked in and received confirmation for the upgrade however when I got there I was given the single bed that was originally booked.. I wasn't able to switch to my reserved room because they were sold out.. They did offer a roll a way bed at no cost though.. Also when traveling gps it routes you underground to get to parking area but the signal dies underground so you get lost.. Need additional signage..

Huge t.v. nice terrace.. Great location.. Beautiful artsy decor.. Great size bathroom..

Great experience at the Gwen!
    • Superior King Room

I do not have anything to complain about!

The greeting of the staff! They made sure i was taken care of and if I had any other problems the staff addressed them!

Very nice and clean. Great location.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

When we got there, they said that they don't have the room I reserved (a room with two full beds) through booking.com and they said that even though I reserved the room that doesn't mean that I can get it. It just means that they guarantee a room but which room will it be depends on the hotel situation. So we goy a king bed room with an extra side bed snd they gave us free breakfast.

The staff who helped us was very nice. The facility was very clean and the bed was comfortable. It was close to everything.

• Reviewed: 24 February 2017

Beautiful property!
    • Executive King Room

Beautiful property!!! We stayed in a brand newly renovated room. It was gorgeous! Love the location. Restaurant/bar is fantastic. Can't wait to return.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

TV did not work.

For the last 2 nights, the TV didn't work. Even though I called the front desk to let them know, they didn't fix it or offfered me to change me to a different room. Really dissapointed, I was travelling by myself, and had nothing to do when I came back to my rook at night. This would not happen at The Langham or The Peninsula.

• Reviewed: 1 January 2017

The staff at fromy door were friendly and welcoming
    • Grand Deluxe King Room

Didnt appreciate bill at breakfast because it was included in price

The staff at fromy door were friendly and welcoming Lewis was very helpful at the desk room was great

• Reviewed: 20 September 2016

Pro's & Con's
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Because girl at the desk didn't give me what I ask for a higher floor with veiw a must. She was snippy when I ask her about it.

Location location location

• Reviewed: 6 August 2016

Customer service could have been better
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

This hotel allows pets. I don't like the idea of staying in a room where pets have stayed. I feel it's unclean and not good for those wth asthma or allergies. A room close to us had a dog that yapped at all hours. Very disturbing. The price you pay puts this hotel in the range of the Ritz Carlton, Four Seasons etc, however it isn't as luxurious or as good at customer service as those hotels. When I checked in I asked to check out late at 2 because my international flight was in the eve. The lady who checked me in said that was fine. However she didn't note it in the system. Keys stopped working at 12 and housekeeping kept asking when we were going to leave. For what I paid I'd much rather have stayed at the Ritz or Four Seasons or Peninsula.

The hotel has undergone some recent upgrading. The decor is lovely, the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Some of the staff are polite and accommodating but not all of them. The location is fabulous.

Art Deco decor was impressive
    • Superior King Room

Having to pass through lobby to get to the room from Rush Street entrance

Art Deco decor was impressive

It was beautiful

The view from my room

It was beautiful

5 stars!

Very chic decor

Delightful in every way
    • Superior King Room

Absolutely perfect. The staff was wonderful! The bed like a cloud. Location ideal.

Staff, location, luxury, admosfere everything is superbe

Staff, location, luxury, admosfere everything is superbe

6.0
    The horrible smell upon walking into the horror room

The horrible smell upon walking into the horror room

Everything about the Gwen is pure luxury 😀
    • Superior King Room

My favorite hotel in the Windy City by far!

We had 3 rooms for our family and everyone was able to be on...

There was no mini-bar...

We had 3 rooms for our family and everyone was able to be on the same floor which was great!

Convenient and comfortable that made me feel special
    • Superior King Room

Great towels in the bathroom nicely folded. Good lighting in the room.

Beautifuly decorated and clean hotel. Great staff! Perfect location!!!!

Bed

Wonderful
    • Superior King Room

Nothing wrong, everything was perfect 👌🏼

The stuff was extremely friendly and helpful.

very nice hotel in heart of chicago
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

lovely, clean hotel. nice location, bathrooms, fitness area, etc. view from room was a minus, overlooking rooftops and parking areas

Super comfortable bed, very friendly staff, superb atmosphere

Super comfortable bed, very friendly staff, superb atmosphere

LOVELY, except GPS DOESN'T WORK IN THE AREA

Parking was very expensive

Staff, ambiance, comfortability, walking distance to a dog park, food, shopping, etc.

front desk moved me to a new room after nasty discovery but no refund/discount was offered
    • Superior King Room

I found a burnt heroin spoon and baggy of dope in the dresser...

front desk was very helpful

Great friendly staff, perfect location. Awesome experience
    • Grand Deluxe King Room

Even though luxury was in the name it was somehow surprising just how luxurious it was, great experience !

Good all around place for first time visitors to chicago

Prefer sophisticated quiet public spaces- was somewhat noisy

Very comfy bed- bathroom well appointed- good location for tourists

Fantastic hotel right in the middle of Chicago.
    • Executive King Room

Great breakfast, fab bar area and very clean!

Must stay here.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great service and beautiful room. Liked the Molton Brown complimentary toiletries.

Loved this place
    • Superior King Room

I didnt like that the parking garage and hotel didnt have a deal together like they originally said.

The location was great and staff was wonderful

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

The stay was perfect!

I have no complaints.

The hotel was beautiful! Customer service was great!

• Reviewed: 15 January 2017

Nice place and great value.

Everything was great.

Awesome "French Press" coffee and Eggs Benedict. Nice place.

• Reviewed: 6 January 2017

Okay

Room were super stuffy/ little air flow. Needs a fan

Nice appearance and friendly staff

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

After Christmas Getaway
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

You need to discount handicap valet parking

• Reviewed: 12 December 2016

Everything.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Everything.

• Reviewed: 5 December 2016

Great hotel in an excellent location. No need to walk far for anything.
    • Grand Deluxe King Room

Great location, ease of parking, quite rooms, near great restaurants.

• Reviewed: 2 December 2016

Good and spacy
    • Grand Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very unkind receptionist. Only one .carile.

Good and spacy

A bit tired for the money

breakfast

Bathroom

• Reviewed: 23 September 2016

Loved the location is just WOW.

The receiving staff could be more active. Never saw someone to help us with the luggage.

Loved the location is just WOW.

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Rude front desk.
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Front desk was rude and unhelpful in most circumstances!

Food was excellent and the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

I booked two rooms and one wasn't ready at the agreed...

I booked two rooms and one wasn't ready at the agreed upon check in time of 3pm

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

rooms need updating the lobby is great but you can tell they...
    • Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

rooms need updating the lobby is great but you can tell they did nothing at all to change over the rooms when they renovated

• Reviewed: 3 August 2016

Wish I could have stayed longer.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Great location. Super comfy bed! Nice hotel.

There are also 44 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.