Reviews of The Historic Taos Inn 3 stars

125 Paseo Del Pueblo Norte, Taos, NM 87571, USA

#15 of 27 hotels in Taos

• Classic Quadruple Room

Awful beds- really soft and lumpy/ look terrible as soon as you walk in the room . They must be ancient! Bathroom water got cutoff for awhile and when it came on, the cold was a trickle, had to use the tub. Bathroom door didn’t lock and room door key did not lock the dead bolt only the door knob. Very noisy in room from the downstairs bar and lobby . Music stopped before 10 pm thankfully, but you could barely hear yourself think.

Beautiful historic hotel. Personality plus. Great restaurant and bar. Staff are excellent - professional and friendly. Stayed here for 30 plus years. Nice room size, great lobby

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Again, we should have been warned, for example, that the nachos fed at least 4-6 before ordering for 1 person.

We had twin bed room 121. Small for some; perfect for us. Clean and comfortable. Outside our door was the balcony with tables overlooking the lobby -- and the nightly bands. Was so much fun. Plan on staying again, longer and hopefully in same room. Dinner in the Restaurant was expensive but excellent. We treated ourselves. Also ate in the bar, as we had previously. Just wish they had warned us that the helpings were so massive. Wasted a lot of food. Margaritas were excellent.

• Small Double Room

The hotel is located on the main highwaby thrOugh Taos and across the sbtreet from the plaza. ample parking behind the hotel via an alley opening on main highway. Bonus: there is live music in the lobby bar every night.

• Small Double Room

The room was really small. Noise from the street and the lobby was excessive at times. It was only a double bed, and not comfortable. My husband complained of feeling the bed springs.

Historic quality of this property is lovely. Staff was great. There was plenty of parking. It has a true "Taos" atmosphere.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Brighter lamp bulb for reading in bed.

The walk-in shower was luxurious, and the queen bed very comfortable. AC was even and cool without being noisy or too breezy... best AC we've ever had.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

It was noisy! Our room (101) was located between the walkway from the back parking area and the lobby where music played from 6:30-9:30. It quieted down around 10pm

Lovely historic Inn; great location; room was spacious and comfortable. Staff were friendly & courteous

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Breakfast was not included, we did have some coffee.

The Inn is close to town and shopping. Even though the Inn lies at a street, we were way in the back and were not disturbed at all ! At night, after our dinner at the Bar ( with live music !), we sat in our room next to the fireplace and read. It was wonderful. Yes, we, my husband this time and I, will go back.

• Queen Room with Balcony

During the check in process we couldn’t find the front desk due to the lack of signs and crowd. Once we did we locate the desk, communication was an issue as we had to yell over the live music and crowd. The bed was also a bit uncomfortable making it hard to get a good night’s sleep.

The staff was friendly and most helpful.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The entrance/driveway to the Inn needs improvement. There are lots of holes.

The rooms were comfortable but could use a little updating: new carpet, windows that can stay open..

• Queen Room with Balcony

Hotel Registration Clerks. First the gentleman that checked us in did not want to be there. Short of rude. Particularly when asked about maps,we were the only customers at check-in a fellow visitor sitting on a couch near us literally jumped up and went into another room and got us a map.Thank you fellow traveler!

The quaintness and back rooms were extremely quiet

• Small Double Room

No A/C on the first night of a high 80’s day. Extremely small room and bath, no place to put things, very cluttered layout.

Closeness to the center of town

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were on a girls' weekend roadtrip to celebrate a birthday. The first floor room we we given was very stuffy and hot, and we were told to open the windows because the AC hadn't been turned on for the season. The two windows would not stay open and a screen was missing from one. We went back to the front desk and asked for a fan because the windows wouldn't stay open. They were out of fans, but sent a man to open the window and prop it with a board - from the outside! This was very insecure for us, as the opening was large enough for a person to crawl through, our room was on the ground floor and the window was open to a secluded walkway at the rear of the building. We were too hot, felt unsafe, and were surprised at the lack of concern from the staff. Also, live music from the lobby was so loud that the walls on one side of the room were vibrating. All in all it was a miserable experience. I had stayed at the Taos Inn previously with my husband, and was very disappointed this time.

It was great to enjoy lunch on the patio.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

I have not a single complaint. I really enjoyed my stay.

Located near the Plaza..it seems to be centrally located for all that a visitor would want to do in Taos. Staff was excellent, from the check in people to the waiters and waitresses. The room was very good, appointed with period piece furniture that help the weary traveler throw off the stress and worry of everyday modern life, and transcend back to a less hectic, peaceful, and ultimately satisfying time.

• Superior Queen Room

Only point early emptying of bins woke us.

Right in the town with shops, restaurants, cafes nearby. Lots of art shops all nearby. The hotel also has a deal with local swimming pool. Restaurant also on site Doc Martins good choices. Only stayed one night inhind site two nights would have been better to explore town and local area.

I liked everything.

I have been going to Taos for many years. This was my first stay at the historic Taos Inn. And I could not be more pleased. It was everything I wanted and more.

• Small Double Room

Very hot in the room. No A/C available. They gave us a fan but it was uncomfortably hot so we got very little sleep.

Love the history, the lobby and the great music every night.

• Small Double Room

sketchy wifi in our room . They may have been having problems with the whole system , however.

Best chili relenos I've ever had in the restaurant. Our room was very quiet .

• Superior Queen Room

We liked the room, but it was not the queen with a kiva fireplace as advertised and reserved.

It's a wonderful historic building. A beautiful example of Taos charm.

• Queen Room with Balcony

Loved it all. Stayed during the weekend and the music, while wonderful, got very loud. Your staff upgraded my room from one that was upstairs and right over the entertainment to one that was further back on the property. A great solution.

The staff was wonderful. Very helpful in what to see and where to go. Food was excellent. The music in the evening was outstanding. It was a great experience to stay at the Taos Inn.

There was not one thing I can think of that would have made our trip better.

We loved the whole place. The grounds were beautifully kept and manicured. The staff were over the top accommodating for my husband who is disabled. The food at the restaurant was very delicious. I can't wait to go back!

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Our room was located on the main street side and it sounded like we were New York City. Lots of sirens at night along with traffic noise.

We liked the location and the coziness.

finding entrance to parking lot. not enough pillows for bed if you want to watch TV. TV problems. ordered food in the adobe bar but the order was screwed up by doc martin restaurant. they were out of what we ordered but we weren't informed for a full 15 minutes. we left after finishing our drinks. we tried the restaurant at first, had to track down the host for seating and then after seating we decided to leave after being ignored for too long.

staff found lost clothing and was kind enough to call us back after our inquiry, made us very happy! hotel clerk was kind enough to walk us to our room, as it was away from main bldg. great atmosphere in the bar/lounge. good live music!

• Small Double Room

The small rooms really are small! And the ones we were given were right over the bar. There was also quite a bit of traffic noise.

Great location, bags of character, comfy beds.

Staff was excellent. Evening entertainment in Adobe Bar was fantastic especially Bob Andrews. I would come back to stay just to hear him on the piano.

• Superior Queen Room

Everthing was great but the adjoining room door had an inch of space so it was like your neighbors were in your room. You could hear them saying their every word.

I loved my stay. Everthing was perfectly Taos. My bedroom was a bit of a splurge for my budget but I am glad I spent the extra money. The Staff were very attentive and personable; great bartender Dave, lobby staff Anne, Blair and Jerome are now considered family by me, everyone always had time to help with whatever I needed.

• Queen Room with Balcony

Having microwave and stuff for more accommadations even though the café was excellent.

It looks and feels like home. You stay in a room that feels like you are in a little house.

Tv cabinet made it hard to see the screen. Room was outdated. Damaged carpet, atrocious bed spread. Looked nothing like pics. Furniture was old. Bad smell.

It was a cute property. I liked that each room had an entrance to the outside.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

A perfect experience at this precious Taos Inn!!! Every aspect from checking in to checking out was perfect! And every step in between was outstanding!! The staff was fabulous, food excellent and Friday nights at the bar are rocking it!

The shower was awful. It was a walk-in with no curtain so the water and warm air escaped. It made it a cold shower. It only had a hand-held apparatus that was impossible to direct and at a very low level, so too bad for anyone over 5'6".

Live entertainment in the bar was really great, the room was clean and the staff exceptional. The room also had a charming gas fireplace and was a comfortable place to relax.

• Standard Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

If you are a light sleeper who goes to bed early, the music on the weekend is a bit loud if you're in the main building. However, it is over by 10:30. It is a historic building and the floors in the main building can be uneven, so watch your step. Parking entrance is a sharp turn up a narrow lane off the main street and easy to miss.

Lovely property truly within walking distance of shops, restaurants and the main Plaza. Food at the hotel was delicious, we ate at both the main restaurant and the bar and were pleasantly surprised. The margaritas at the Adobe bar are portent and they have some of the biggest nacho plates I have every seen. Music in the lobby in the weekends was enjoyable.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

My room was extremely hot! I had to sleep with the windows open and a fan. The front desk offered to relocate me but it was late and I had already settled in. They did get me a fan

Cool friendly vibe

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

1. My room was really, really small, with one distinctly uncomfortable chair; and the bed would have been too small to sleep 2. 2. For the money, the inn could at least have provided a simple continental breakfast, which is the norm at similar establishments

Authentic, rustic architecture and furnishings

• King Room with Mountain View

Excellent entertainment - great group! Clean, comfortable and convenient - you can walk almost anywhere. The room had lots of Southwestern charm and a mountain view.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

The room was a disgrace. The thermostat was broke, so you couldn’t turn the heat off. The only way I could sleep was by opening the window, so I had a mix of hot air pouring in and a gust of 17 degree air over me. The noise was beyond loud. The floors creaked, there wasn’t even a chair to sit in. I won’t be back.

The restaurant was good. Root veggy chopped salad was excellent, and a posolewith red chile that was very good.

• King Room with Mountain View

Leaving my cozy room.

The staff was amazing. I was shocked at the beauty and coziness of the room. Love the adobe fire place. The charming room is a highlight of my taos story. Thank you.

I like it all

The music was delightful when first walking in. It was a surprise and just presented a great element to the Inn and was such a pleasant surprise. The walking distance to downtown was a great perk. Wonderful stay! Will go back.

• Small Double Room

The room was comfortable and had lots of character. It was kept exceptionally clean. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The bar attached to the hotel, the Adobe Bar, was excellent. Coffee in the morning was a very nice touch.

The HVAC system is terrible -- either on, so the room was stifling hot; or, off, so the room was too cold. Also, we reserved a "deluxe" king room -- absolutely nothing deluxe about it. Staff didn't really seem to care about our thoughts or concerns.

Doc Martin's was not near as great as the reviews. The hostess was rude, and wouldn't even come get us from the bar when our table was ready. We had to stay near the stand and wait for her to call our name or we would lose the table we waited 1 hour for. The restaurant was WAY understaffed. We waited 1 hour for our food to arrive, and when it arrived a dish was accidentally poured all over me. Never once did a manager come by to apologize for all of the problems, and my husband had to ask the waitress if they were going to make amends for all of the poor service. The waitress agreed to removing the dish that was poured on me, and gave us 2 free desserts for our troubles. I had to pay for the dry-cleaning to get the ketchup stain out of my blouse.

The location is what makes this place great! The rooms/facility is a little "tired" and worn, but you can't beat the location! And it's oldness lends to the charm.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking was hard to locate on arrival. Entry and exit from the parking was onto a busy street until you discovered the "secret" alley to a side street. The easiest access was closed after dark.

The room was large and homey. The common area contained interesting information on the history of the hotem and community.Located in the heart of Taos near the old town square and the Kit Carson museum.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Very friendly and helpful staff. Property is in an ideal, central location. Good on-site parking. Cafe, bar and entertainment added to the experience. Highly recommend The Taos Inn as the place to stay when in Taos

• Small Double Room

The Taos Inn's biggest asset is the staff--they are always super friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic, right in the middle of town, and staying in the original (main) building is a trip in time. The cherry on top is the fact that there is live music EVERY NIGHT!

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Wifi almost non-existent in the room due to thickness of adobe walls. Our room #102 was a bit warm due to unadjustable steam heat.

The IN place to be in Taos! Close to the old plaza. All modern amenities built in to rooms. Great Doc Martin’s dining.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

We liked everything. Reviews by those who might prefer the sterile box atmosphere of a big box chain motel can be disregarded. We highly recommend this place. When booking, just take literally the description of "two single beds" as just that, not two fulls or queens. We've been together fifteen years, so a night with heads together at a corner was no big deal. Just book a room with a large bed, if that's your preference.

The Inn is a wonderful hotel in an historic old building. The room we stayed in, as well as others we viewed, are clean and tidy, with much character of a building well over a hundred years old. The accommodations are great while contained within old adobe walls and creaky floors, and lend so much character to the room. It's a beautiful, funky facility with a great restaurant, and bar featuring live music. Their complimentary morning coffee is better than a neighboring restaurant.

Rooms need updating, especially the furniture. Adjacent restaurant not very good.

Right on the main street. Walking distance to everything. One level property. Good bar--nice sitting on the patio people watching.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

had to wait for check in, no problem. desk clerk said he would call when ready. by 5:30 pm, no call, but could check in. when I mentioned that the other desk clerk was to call when room was ready, I was told "he was too busy". OK. Room very small. Restaurant lacked 3 menu items on very limited menu.

• Small Double Room

There was a large motor of some sort that would come on every 30 to 40 min's run for about 20 min's. it was so loud that we got up and left at 3 A.M. No way could we get any sleep.

Doc Martin's was good food and service.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

We had a room with a "balcony" but the balcony was really a hall with tables for the bar below. The room was the smallest one I have ever seen. Booking.com and the hotel misrepresented the room and the balcony and this should be stopped.

The location and some of the staff

• Small Double Room

I wanted a room w twin beds, settled instead for a queen. The 2 queen beds room was too pricey

Enjoyed the open Mike in the lobby. The bar provided my friend to keep an eye on the NFL game

• Superior Queen Room

I felt like there was a little bait and switch, this isn't really the fault of the Taos Inn but of the booking.com website, the photo for the room and the room were two different things entirely.

The the aesthetic, location, and staff were all great.

• Double Room with Patio

The satellite TV system was out and we wanted to watch a special on PBS. Other than that it was the perfect location. Walking distance to several places for breakfast. Close to the plaza.

We ate dinner in the restaurant the night of arrival. They were out of the salmon special and the chef accommodated me by substituting trout. My husband had the steak special and they were willing to substitute one of the sides to accommodate a diet restriction. Everything was delicious.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

I am easy to please... no complaints. Friday night was happening, however the bands rendition of "Hotel California" was ..... ah.... lacking. Just sayin.

Had a fine breakfast at Doc Martins. Rooms in main building subject to the live music, which ended at the promised time. { 9:45 pm) Building had an "historical feel" and free wi-fi. Lobby is a fine place to lounge after check out.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

The filled the lobby with tables and a band makijng check in a very crowded yelling affair.

Located downtown and within walking distance to lots of things.

• Double Room with Patio

No complaints whatsoever.

Historic location in the heart of Taos, yet intimate rooms. Excellent attached eating with Doc Marten's and a great little bar as well. Friendly and very helpful staff...with the benefit of live music, outside dining and the ability to meet and mingle with interesting people.

• Deluxe Quadruple Room

The room was just OK. It could be a little more upscale for the price.

The room was comfortable and clean. I really liked the nightly music in the bar. The location to the plaza and wonderful shopping, restaurants, etc. could not be better. The grounds were beautiful and very nice employees.

• Small Double Room

1) Worst Wifi i have seen in a hotel. very slow. cuts out every 5 mins. not reliable. 2) "Live music every night" means loud amplified music right outside your room til 9:30. I stayed somewhere else the second night because of these two reasons.

Location is good, near all the restaurants and can walk around the center

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Larger sandoval room requested 2 months in advance was not available at check in. Were placed in a tiny room, barely enough room for the bed. Courtyard walkway cluttered with leaves and debris.

After 1st nite, they corrected their mistake and moved us to larger room in Helen house. Location next to plaza and restaurats is excellent.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

Too many stairs to haul up luggage if you stay in the main lodge....no elevator ...

The staff were all so helpful. It just was a gracious time and place...lots of great atmosphere! And ambiance ! Elliott was a wonderful host and very helpful!

• Queen Room with Balcony

Air conditioner was loud, woke me up all night and couldn't figure out how to turn it off. No curtains and could not keep light out of room from outside street light..the blinds do not do the trick. The coffee was decaf and I drink coffee for the wake up affect. For the price you charge...there are no perks, not even a muffin at breakfast...charging for a breakfast bread is strange when you pay $200 to sleep. Many other places charge less and offer more...will never stay there again. I will visit the bar for a drink while walking around...it was fun there.

Location, the hand woven bedspread and Mexican furniture in room.

• Classic Quadruple Room

The restaurant in the hotel, Doc Martins has really gone down hill. Much room for improvement, both food and improvement, especially for the prices they charge

We just had full size beds, too small. The breakfast @ Doc Martins was just so-so and the service had much to be desired. But overall the hotel staff was great. I will go back for sure. I like the location, we can just park the car and walk everywhere.

• Deluxe Double or Twin Room with Garden View

Grim cave below grade , tiny window painted shut , ancient lamps , poorly maintained bathroom- broken tile , black grout, no stopper in tub- tiny, rudimentary room, would not recommend. Self interested bar waitress.

Near Plaza Bar tenders and desk staff very helpful.

• Double or Twin Room with Balcony

I really loved the ambiance of this historical building in the heart of old town. The Plaza, great shopping, and eating were just a few steps away. The rooms are basic, clean, and comfortable, fitting in with the historical aspects of Taos. Staff is friendly and informative.

• Superior Queen Room

This place is great but the rooms vary however staff will accommodate your request. Location is great and the Adobe Bar is like a local hangout at the end of the day. We've stayed here before and always look forward to coming back.

• Queen Room

The maid cart parkked in front of our window so we had to go out in our night clothes to move so we could see the lovely garden.

The historic ambiance and the garden that was natural. The coffee in the lobby . In t he morning.. The short walking distance for the popular tourist sites.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Queen Room

The room was very cosy with a fireplace. Loved it! The staff were very courteous, friendly and helpful. My husband was at a job site so I spent the day walking in town thanks to some helpful tips from the front desk. Dinner at Doc Martin's was fabulous. Garlic and goat cheese very tasty. Ribs - great. Very quaint place. Will definitely stay there again.

• Deluxe Double Room

It was hot and there was no air. We checked out, and found a cheaper, nicer hotel that had air.If your air isn't working ,don't charge a premium rate.

you could walk to most things.

• Reviewed: 15 April 2017

• Queen Room

My room was a huge disappointment. I had stayed here before in the main building and had a small but charming room. I ended up in an annex room with low ceilings, almost unusable shower, and no ambience. It probably was used to house staff in an earlier time.

The original inn is wonderful. The annex rooms in the back, not so much. Nice restaurant and live music in the lounge/reception area. Great location.

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

Bathroom was pretty dated - shower head was clogged and didn't really provide a stream of water that made for an invigorating shower.

Entertainment in hotel lobby - gave us something to do after the rest of the town shut down for the evening.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2017

• Deluxe Double Room

We couldn't regulate the temperature in the room with the thermostat, so for sleeping the room was a bit too hot for us. Coffee was available in the lobby but it would be a bonus to have a small coffeemaker in the room and possibly a mini fridge.

Excellent location near the plaza. Great food in the restaurant, very nice staff, and comfortable large rooms. Fun vibe in the lobby with live music in the bar area.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

• Queen Room

Internet was in and out Bed was very squeaky No place for suitcases or hanging clothes No treats with coffee Over priced

Fireplace Shower Burned out lights were fixed

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• Queen Room

The staff was not aware that the city bus line did not work on the weekends - Sat and Sunday - we almost missed our Wine Festival. Found an Uber.

the live music in the Adobe Bar is always a plus - great bartender - great queen bed

• Reviewed: 16 January 2017

• Queen Room

The "bluegoo" that was provided to use to ignite the fire. Would have preferred kindling.

It was nice to just park & be able to walk to the plaza, shops, & restaurants. The hotel has a very New Mexico feel and the kiva fireplaces in the rooms was a special touch. The staff was very nice and helpful.

• Reviewed: 24 December 2016

The heat in the Helen Hunt rooms and the group of rooms in front of them is set on a blower but has no thermostat. The room would get cold and then we would turn on the heat but after an hour or so you had to turn the heat off. That did not make for a good nights sleep.

We have stayed at the Taos Inn many times and love the local ambience and location. The rooms are always clean and there was a gas fire lit when we arrived at the room that added to the cozy feeling.

• Reviewed: 20 December 2016

• Queen Room

Excellent location! Adequate room, very clean, everything worked. Check-in staff friendly/professional & even walked us to our room. Nice touch.

• Reviewed: 10 December 2016

Can't think of anything.

It was my partners birthday and she had never been to Taos. She was duly impressed by the Taos Inn and the town. We had a great time and will be back.

Browse The Historic Taos Inn traveller photo gallery