Reviews of The Essex Resort 4 stars

70 Essex Way, Burlington, VT 05452, USA

#20 of 34 hotels in Burlington

• Culinary Double Queen

The plumbing was very noisy. When the room next door ran their shower it made a loud noise in our suite. The pillows were hard / awful. The sheets gave my husband an allergic reaction. They gave a tiny bar of soap for theee people and never gave us more (they were running low on soap). I thought this was odd since this was a spa hotel. The restaurant meals weee expensive and of variable quality. Some great some tasteless.

The setting is beautiful. The room was spacious. It was a very relaxing place to stay. My daughter needed to study for a final and she had no trouble doing that.

• Culinary Double Queen

Dirty dishes sat in the hall by elevator when we went up to our room on Sat. They were still there Sunday morning. Bathroom sink did not drain well.

Location was perfect for our visit. Very close to my son who was graduating from UVM.

• Culinary King

It felt more secluded than I expected being in Essex. The things I wanted were a 10-15 minute drive off of the property.

I was there in during snowy icy weather so I stayed in mostly. I was told there were fireplaces in some rooms; I didn't have one however the heat was efficient. The Chef's Table reservation at The Junction/JCT was the best part of my stay.

• Culinary King

Very nice staff, warm welcome. The food is excellent. The bakery corner is great. Spa experience was great and the spa staff were exceptional. It is pet friendly, and it was easy to bring the dog, my dog really liked the complementary cookies.

• Culinary King Spa Suite

The only thing I wished is that you could get to the pool and hotub without exiting the building it was so cold out it kept us from going there more

The location and all the things you could do right on site without even having to go anywhere!

• Culinary King Spa Suite

Nothing really except the shower as I mentioned before.

The room was beautiful. The shower could have had more water pressure but not the end of the world. The food was fantastic!! The staff very professional and helpful. Unfortunately we did not take part in spa or classes we did day trips around the area; but everything looked very nice. My husband and I had a wonderful time.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

A little further from Burlington than I expected.

The pillows were so comfortable! It was clean and quiet. The tavern had great food and service. Complementary cookies and hot cocoa was great! Loved the steam room at the spa!

• Culinary King

Pool was clean but not spotless, water temperature was a little on the cool side. Understandable considering that aqua classes are held in it. No hair conditioner in pool shower which I discovered after shampooing my hair.

Mac & cheese Tuesday special was delicious. My king room was clean, spacious and the bed was very comfy. Eight pillows were more than enough.

• Culinary Double Queen

Great facilities but as mentioned above pool was a little too chlorinated. Quite itchy following one night of swimming. Other than that had no problems.

Excellent place to stay with a young family. Out of the downtown hustle/bustle but close enough for quick trips to Burlington, Stowe, etc. Only downfall were the chlorine levels in the hot tub and/or pool.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

The outdoor hottub needed repair, sections of missing tile. The Tavern ceiling had a huge leak, right onto table next to us. Pedestal sink in bathroom had yellow stained grout at floor as if someone or something peed on it. Gross that pets are allowed.

The room was huge! The bed was comfy. The hallway was quiet.

• Culinary King

The floor in the ladies locker room, in the pool area, was dirty.

The whole site was just amazing! What a wonderful place to stay at! We had no expectations when we got there, but staff and place was just awesome. We had dinner and breakfast at the pub, food was great, really enjoyed all the homemade goodies!

• Culinary King Spa Suite

Everything else! I was extremely disappointed with the room. NOTHING like the pictures, The room was tiny and barely clean. I paid the extra money for the "Culinary King Spa Suite". The room was tiny, there was no robes like advertised. The "couch" was a chair and the Jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was broken. Extremely disappointed by the amount of money we spent on this room and it was far from spectacular. Don't know if its because we booked thru Booking.com or just the way the rooms look at baseline. I couldn't imagine paying full price and staying in the same room.

The staff was very friendly. And the pool and hot tub was nice.

• Culinary King

Spa facilities and cooking school were not within our budget, but we had a good time, even without these.

We spent 2 nights with our 2 dogs. Staff were very nice. Room service was great! The dogs were greeted at the Front Desk with homemade dog biscuits! We all enjoyed ourselves! Dog walking was easy.

Breakfast should be included

The property was amazing the rooms are beautiful and very comfortable the hotel amenities are amazing I will recommend 100%

• Culinary King

Strange location for a luxury resort-right next to highway and condo subdivision, thought it would be closer to mountains or hiking trails etc. Not sure if it was Booking.com’s error or the hotel but I was charged fees and taxes on top of room rate. When I showed them my email saying it was supposed to be included they did take it off but don’t think they were too happy with Booking.com about that.

Food at restaurant Junction very good-service not so much. Hotel staff very good. Room very nice-pet friendly huge plus.

• Culinary King

WE stayed in room 112. There was an annoying noise all night. sounded like kerbump- kerbumb.. We complained and were told it was the hot tub in the room above. But it wasn't. Otherwise beautiful hotel.

• Culinary King

The pool was colder than I expected and several spa services were not offered. (too cold for the hot tub and the men's steam room was not working) The room amenities were oddly supplied, too. We ran out of soap by the end of our stay and didn't receive conditioner until our third day. The in-room coffee was well-stocked with tea, coffee, and decaf when we arrived, but was not restocked with enough coffee.

The food and spa were just what we needed. Great spot to cozy up with a good book and relax by the fire. The steam room and sauna helped keep us warm in the unseasonably cold weather. I could have spent all day using the complementary spa services. Also, they have pigmy goats that live near the resort. We loved visiting them.

• Culinary King Spa Suite

We had booked the king suite. It was very large and comfortable. The sofa and fireplace added to the room, The double jaccuzzi was great. The indoor pool was very nice . The outdoor hot tub was also a good size. We had several meals at the restaurant and the food was delicious and fresh.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

Cleanliness in part and certain things not working ( men steam room, hot tub jets... over flowing bins and garbages in the spa locker room). There was sufficient staff on the premises that anything towards cleanliness should not have occurred. It's a testament to how much certain staff members perform in relations to there jobs. Nonetheless since this resort is in transition I will somewhat allow the setbacks.

The Essex resort and spa is currently in a transition period. Under new management and undergoing many upgrades and renovations.... needless to say some things were not working. Overall the culinary resort and spa is a very relaxing, inviting and delicious place to have a mini vacation.... I'm sure once all of the renovations and upgrades are done this resort will exceed a five star hotel experience!👍👍👍👍

• Culinary Double Queen

Wish we had more time to use all of the facilities!

Unfortunately, we did not have time to enjoy the spa facilities. Basically just our room. Loved our propane stove, and whirlpool tub in our down time. Just what we needed after our shopping!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

• Culinary King

The room was not very homey feeling. the parking was not so good. Parking priority was given to people attending holiday events, so the paying guests had to park way back in a back parking lot. This seemed odd to us, since beside the building where the events are held there is a parking lot. Event guests should be encouraged to park next to that building therefore keeping the parking in front of the hotel for paying hotel guests.When we asked the front desk about this we were told it is not their policy. Perhaps more thought should be given to this?

The property was very clean, the indoor pool and outside hot tub was very nice.

• Culinary Queen

There was nothing we didn’t like.

The staff was extremely nice and helpful with any questions and queries. We loved the fireplace in the room and the incredibly cosy bathrobes we wished we could’ve bring home! Don’t miss the outside hot tub, it’s perfect on a snowy evening. The hotel is ideally situated close to shops and restaurants in case you’re looking for something else than the hotel has to offer. The place is pet friendly so there is the added bonus of running into a cute doggo on the corridor. Overall amazing place, will be returning!

• Culinary King

the spa was not only very expensive but the quality of treatments left much to be desired. I have visited spas all around the world and was pretty disappointed in this one. You are not provided with shower caps or panties for your treatments like in most of the spas worldwide. While I understand the American expectation that you are to leave generous tips, I was taken aback by the receptionist taking the liberty of including the gratuities of 18 to 20 percent of the price of the treatments, without prior consultation or asking me whether the treatments were up to my expectations. The premise of tipping is that you are satisfied with the service you receive and not that you are to subsidise the salaries of the therapists. I found the attitude of the receptionist unpleasant and arrogant. It frankly ruined the whole day. The fine dining is what in the UK would be a gastro pub but again with prices for fine dining. My salmon was mediocre, had lots of different ingredients that did not necessarily end up in anything amazing. My husband had lamb and he was satisfied. The brussels sprouts were delicious.

The bed was nice, big and spacious. No shower caps are provided. Bathroom has no window and a fan running 24/7 that is rather annoying.

• Culinary Double Queen

Heating system was far too loud. Kept us awake at night. We had to turn it off, so our room became very cold at night. It is a shame for such a nice place. Also, a culinary school should be able to make good expresso coffee, which was not the case. The coffee was aweful.

pool was gorgeous. Spa was wonderful, one of the nicest I have been to. Very peaceful and beautiful property. Spacious and clean room. Nice playground for kids at the front of the property. Easy free parking. Tavern restaurant was nice. Perfect getaway.

• Culinary Double Queen

Reception area of the different buildings were old and empty No quiet place to eat breakfast ( only the Bar and other rooms were for weeding guests)

Clean rooms

• Culinary Queen

When we checked in the young girl that booked our room was not friendly, used zero eye contact and told me she would call me when our room was ready. She never called nor did any one else.

We spent most of our time at the Spa! It was amazing. The entire staff team was incredibly friendly and confident. This put us at ease.

The bathroom sink, pedestal style, very poor for 2 guests and their toiletries

The food"wow", staff are just great ! The restaurants near the hotel none to speak of, if you looked for food outside the hotel, you made a big mistake. All our meals were absolutely great!, I highly recommend this property

• Culinary Queen

The dinner was disappointing as the food was luke warm and the waitress only checked on us once the meal was over. Being a Culinary Facility, we expected the food to be at least hot. We stayed in Room # 330 and there was a large noise that would occur outside our door every 5 -10 minutes that interrupted our sleep throughout most of the night. This may have been a roof mounted cooling unit. This was very unpleasant.

Check in lady at the desk was very welcoming. Room was clean and well appointed. Nice views and nice outdoor dining setup.

• Culinary Double Queen

Beautiful setting. Staff was responsive an friendly. Nice pools and fitness center. Food was creative and well prepared. Definitely a step up from other lodging in the area. Will return.

• Traditional Room One Bed

The fitness center is in desperate need of maintenance. But then again that is my expertise.

first hotel in the last 3 I have stayed at that actually had hot water! Amazing!

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

• Traditional Room One Bed

The room did not have a refrigerator or microwave and the meals in their restaurant were pricey so a discount offered to paying guest would have been nice. Even more inexpensive places at least offer complimentary coffee

The resort was clean and beautifully decorated. The staff was very pleasant and accommodatingredients. Beautiful pool and spa!

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

• Luxury One Bedroom

Room was very dark and dingy Furniture (sofas, chairs) were extremely worn and uncomfortable Room was not very clean (corners were dusty, carpet not very clean)

Restaurant staff treated us very well Setting and location are great Room was spacious

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Traditional Room One Bed

The hotel needs to improve on the following the hotel front desk stuff,s knowledge of the area along with their enthusiasm for the state they live in giving hotel guest lots off ideas for fun and interesting things to do. Empty out garbage bins in the spa area three times a day and repair broken bathrooms in the spa area within three days not a week or more. When you decide to place a room charge for a meal the hotel should just charge the set amount off the meal not $200 plus dollars to your credit card regardless an example a meal was $18.50 for breakfast and the hotel charged my credit card $250. The hotel needs good front and back office management to help the staff to feel they are valued and the property and guests are off interest and important not just the local wedding party.

The spa was great as were the spa stuff and the pool and hotel restaurant the junction and the food. The grounds and my hotel room. The outside seating area both indoor and outdoor pool and laundry room.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Traditional Room One Bed

The tavern tends to be noisy and they don't have many options for non meat eaters.

They upgraded us to a suite. Enjoyed the pool and outdoor hot tub. It's a beautiful setting. I was traveling with my adult daughter and we've stayed there several times. Always enjoy it.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Traditional Room One Bed

Mattress and pillows could be upgraded. Pool area could use more chaise lounge chairs.

Staff at the Tavern are great, and the choices of beer on draft is excellent. Breakfast there is really delicious.

• Culinary King with Sleeper Sofa

Unique place but slightly expensive.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

Staff was exceptional . Food menu was healthy and creative.

• Culinary King

Excellent food, very comfortable room, and very friendly staff.

• Culinary Double Queen

Waitress in the Tavern was awesome. Kids loved the pool and hot tub.

Excellent food and service, great room value

• Culinary Queen

It was like a country estate in Europe!

It was beautiful. I couldn't quite get over it. The photos didn't do it justice.

• Culinary Double Queen

the room was a buy dates and could be been cleaner (stained bed cover)

loved the pool and staff and the lobby atmosphere

Pictures misleading .... not Vermont “Inn” as photos suggest

Restaurant and staff

• Culinary King with Sleeper Sofa

The bed mattress was way too soft

room and Pub were excellent

Booking with booking.com

Spa was nice

• Culinary Double Queen

Music played during the night in the common spaces was audible in the room which made it a little frustrating for a light sleeper like me!

• Culinary Double Queen

Our room was not cleaned until after we alerted the staff. This was well passed 5:00pm.

• Culinary King

The pillows were a little hard. It hurt my neck.

It was super clean and neat. The staff was very nice and friendly and the food was also good.

• Culinary King

No Hand rails in the tub. At least a continental breakfast could have been included for the price we paid. The room was a good size.

• Culinary King Spa Suite

Staff was more than accommodating, friendly.

Room was a little small

Resort was like a B&B but bigger.

excellent dinner

• Culinary King

Beef was significantly undercooked.

Staff was lovely.

• Culinary Double Queen

Location, staff & facilities were 'top draw' !! Excellent experience from start to finish.

• Culinary King with Sleeper Sofa

Overall truly exceptional experience.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

Elegant but very friendly and relaxed (not stuffy). Staff went out of their way to accomodate and make for a very comfortable stay.

• Culinary King

The tiredness of the place, definitely not value for money for the amount being charged.

The setting was very nice, but that’s all!

• Culinary King

Slightly expensive, but worth it!

Amazing property! Love the on site goats and spa. Food is AMAZING!

Excellent food.

• Culinary King

Long line to get into pub or restaurant. Noisy. Room service very slow. Big groups/busloads of older people. Way overpriced.

Spacious Room

• Culinary King Spa Suite

Shower was small, doorman did not help with bags at all

Room was clean, large and had a nice jet bathtub

• Culinary Accessible Queen

Should have included breakfast for the high room rate charged.

Nice hot tub.

• Culinary King

It is a golf/cooking focused resort. A pastry a d wine bar at the check in desk.

• Culinary Accessible Queen

Squeaky ac fan outside on roof

Spa was extraordinary

• Culinary Double Queen

The restaurant had crummy acoustics so was very loud. The food was not at all worth the price for dinner or breakfast.

• Culinary King with Sleeper Sofa

It was hard to find and it was not 4 miles to the airport, it was 10 long miles in the dark!!!

Strange but interesting lobby

The staff is nice and answer to all our needs

• Culinary Queen

We didn't like the pillows at all. Couldn't sleep as well. Lots of pillows on the bed but not one soft enough to be comfortable.

Breakfast selections

Classy place but family friendly. Also two swimming pools were good, kept from over crowding

Pool

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

More towels. Room was set up with sofa bed made up and an extra rollaway, yet only given 2 towels.

Staff

Dated decor

The spa and the junction restaurant was top notch!!

• Traditional Room One Bed

Prices of food in Tavern were too high for pub fare

Very comfortable beds, lovely grounds, huge room

• Traditional Room One Bed

No "grab bar" in the shower makes it a little precarious for us older folks.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Deluxe One-Bedroom Suite

Some of the staff seemed a little reluctant to help

The facility was beautiful & so very comfortable