Reviews of The James Chicago-Magnificent Mile 4 stars

55 East Ontario Street, River North, Chicago, IL 60611, USA

#72 of 146 hotels in Chicago

• Reviewed: 20 September 2018

I didn’t like anything about this property.
    • Queen Studio Suite

I disliked everything about this hotel. Especially, for the price point.

I didn’t like anything about this property. Pictures tell a different story, than what you see in person.

• Reviewed: 18 August 2018

The location was great

The bar closed at about 9-9.30 every evening we were there despite it advertised as being open til 11. There were no options to get any type of drink, hot, cold. If you wanted ice for the room you had to ring reception as no ice machines. Took 3 calls and an hour most days to get it. Furniture dated and the chair in my room was pretty dirty and old.

The location was great

The room was fantastic;
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I am allergic to dogs and they were everywhere (a guy on the fourth floor had two pit bulls with him...I was honestly scared to get on the elevator)

The room was fantastic; great confort

Perfect Location!

Nothing, you get used to the city sound after your first night. Its part of the experience.

Location, close supermarket, bed, shower and the spa were good. The concierge were very helpful n friendly.

Great stay!

My only problem was with the curtains, that weren't black out and light would enter the room very early in the morning. Also, room service wasn't available 24/7. But overall a great stay!

We got upgraded to a King Studio Suite, which was very spacious and comfortable. It had a mini fridge, a small sink, coffee facilities, but I did miss a microwave since it was a studio. Bed was very comfortable, the shower pressure was great, the room was very luminous. Wi-fi was very very good!

Perfect location and extremely comfortable and stylish room.

I think breakfast would be a good thing to include, or opt into. That dining room is so sad—because of how empty it is...

The location is perfect, and it’s more of a boutique hotel with enormous, stylish rooms.

Great centrally located pet friendly hotel
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Water pressure in the shower could be stronger. We had a room facing the street so we could hear the delivery and garbage trucks in the early morning. It did not bother us as we had to be up early anyway.

Great location at River North -- near shopping and restaurants. 20 min walk to Navy Pier with our dog. The front doorman gave her treats and water was available. Staff was very friendly.

City Attractions
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff at the Front Desk. I think if you ask someone if they have ever been with us before and your answer is no, the employee should at least provide a few basic details about the property. Where the gym/spa is located, where is the restaurant is located and provide details about Wi-Fi? I did not like the fact that I was not provided or asked for the receipt? Every property out there needs to provide the actual receipt or at least ask if you need one instead of chasing for one afterwards when you see an overcharged on your credit card statement? Waited over an hour to get the room we reserved. After 3:05 pm they still did not have the two double beds we reserved ready and they ended up "upgrading our room" to King or Queen Loft with two beds? There were no two beds in this room, there was only one king, queen bed and a media centre where you lay down on the sofa bed which is not designed to sleep on during the night. It is to small for an adult to sleep on. When we came back to the room at 11 pm after being out we found that this so-called second bed does not have any pillows or blankets. I called around 11:20 at the Reception and was told they will provide us with blankets and pillows shortly. We fell asleep after waiting for an hour for someone to show up with blankets and pillows. Horrible. Had to take some sheets and pillows from the big bed and put it on this tiny couch for my brother to sleep on.

I love that the property is in center downtown and very close to Navy Pier and other attractions are not that far away. The property looks very clean and it is very well organized.

Very happy with The James Chicago overall.

Room maintenance-it needed just a little care.

We were able to upgrade for a nominal cost to a corner suite-it was wonderful- large with separate living room and great views. The room was very spacious and decorated nicely-sofa, wet bar, kitchen table banquette seating area. Very convenient location for walking to the sites. It felt very safe. Our only note would be the maintenance of the property might use a small bit of improvement. The bathroom could use some maintenance. But, that said, overall, definitely would stay here again.

Breakfast at outrageous prices
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The price I got from booking.com was not the price I got on my final bill. The clerk promised to make corrections and never did.

Breakfast at outrageous prices

Great location only a couple blocks off Magnificent Mile.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Need exhaust fans in bath area. Too steamy. Need light in closet area near the huge mirror.

Amazing showers, strong water pressure. Bed are very comfortable.

Nice place all around. Pricey for amenities, close to Chicago landmarks and public transit.

Expensive parking

I appreciate the friendly staff, esp. the doormen who helped when my hands were full. The room was quiet and clean, and the bed comfortable. Didn't use a lot of the facilities, but they looked fancy and welcoming. Also, close to the el so you don't have to deal with a car, and close to Navy pier.

Bizarre smells coming thru vents and air in room.

Bizarre smells coming thru vents and air in room. Very staid room but clean. Bill from booking not transparent on room rate per day which is problematic for business travelers who can’t exceed a per day rate.

Room layout was nice, bathroom amenities were nice
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The couch cushions were falling apart, dresser drawers are broken and don’t roll open (off the tracks), poor lighting in the room. Overall for what I paid not overly impressed

Room layout was nice, bathroom amenities were nice

A truly wonderful stylish comfortable ideally located hotel!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Staff super friendly. Food really delicious. Beds so comfortable and great bedding. Stylish modern furnishings. AMAZING location one block off Magnificent Mile. Walked easily to The Bean. Fresh chocolate chip cookies in lobby. Happy hour. All aspects fantastic.

Luxuriously comfortable bed, in a stylish room and fantastic location

There were some roadworks right outside the hotel during the day, with some large metal plates left on the road overnight, which made it extremely noisy. Fortunately, we nevertheless slept like babies, due to jet lag. In similar circumstances, other travellers who are light sleepers may prefer to request a room away from the main road (at the front and side of the hotel) or perhaps on a higher floor.

The well-appointed room was exactly as stylish as featured in the photos, with an extra lounge area with seating, coffee table and very large television, which certainly exceeded our expectations. The large bed was extremely comfortable, with a luxurious duvet and pillows. The bathroom was on the small side, but with an excellent, powerful shower. The hotel has a stylish lounge area, with coffee in the morning and hot cider in the afternoon, as well as treats. The staff were also incredibly welcoming and friendly, and were enthusiastic about providing recommendations. I also saw the concierge making bookings for guests for local sights. There's also an excellent fitness centre. The largest of any hotel I've seen.

Comfortable and centrally located.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Weren't able to add colleague's name to reservation and accordingly split charges (for our expense reports), apparently due to software limitations.

Loved the style, evening wine, and morning coffee. Excellent bedding and towels, very well laid out room and bath. Comfy lobby and good bar and restaurant. All around very comfortable.

The location is excellent.
    • Queen Studio Suite

Some front desk staff could be more smiley and patient in explaining the details of the bill.

The location is excellent. Our room was very quiet, facing backwards. The complimentary happy hour was great! The bar staff serve great drinks. Concierge and door staff were all friendly.

Great area, concierge was very helpful!
    • Queen Studio Suite

Breakfast could have been better (hair in my food)

Great area, concierge was very helpful! Location was amazing and everything within walking distance. Room was so clean and spacious and two TVs in the room!

Excellent location, clean, Staff are wonderful

We thought the heating was a bit too high and couldn't really adjust our thermostat in the room. However, we didn't ask anyone to deal with it. I'm sure if we had off someone would of attended as the staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful at The James

Loved the location and the rooms were exceptionally clean. Our favourite was Tim Samples the Concierge at the Hotel. What a star !!! He goes above & beyond to make your stay in Chicago a wonderful one

Trendy decor, great front desk staff, perfect location, nice...

I would have appreciate some healthy and fast breakfast option at the restaurant

Trendy decor, great front desk staff, perfect location, nice boutique hotel feeling

Great location, awful receptionists

The door staff and bar staff are friendly. The receptionists are awful. When we arrived 16th March at about 9pm, the woman at reception is rude, unpleasant, didn't give us any information, barely looked at us, just asked for name ID credit card, then handed us the key, no information, or enjoy your stay, wifi, breakfast info, where amenities are...nothing. We were unfortunate to also deal with her in check out 5 days later, experience was the exact same, I had to ask her where my receipt was, it's sent to my email apparently, my experience in Ireland especially if you're staying a few nights, they print paper bill and go through the charges to make sure everything is correct, the receptionist would turn milk sour. We went to gym one morning and my key card wouldn't work. Asked another receptionist for assistance, she was equally as miserable, she said I had to go all way back to my room to get my ID, eventually she agreed to confirm other details on my booking as it wasn't my fault their card wasn't working. Reception staff need training on how to greet guests, perhaps say hello, exchange a few pleasantries, act like a human being, I could have been dealing with robots, we gathered their attitude is because they're possibly the only people we didn't have to tip while in America! Everything else was great, price was good.

Location is perfect, comfortable bed and great pressure on shower. Very clean.

We will defintely be back again soon!

That we couldn't stay for longer! And there was a dog on our floor that barked a lot....

The room was a perfect size and stocked with lots of fun stuff!

Very unfortunate. This is NOT a 4 star hotel!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Water was dripping from the ceiling due to someone showering upstairs. Wallpaper started peeling. They would not give us a new room as they over overbooked.

Impeccable service, comfortable sitting areas, excellent rate, in the heart of Chicago

I wouldn't dock The James any points for this: the only challenging thing in the room is an android tablet, that serves as your way to order service including room service and ice, and which streams apps to the television. I tried to use it for Hulu, and it wasn't functioning quite correctly; something I did accidentally rebooted it. I'm pretty good at tech but even for me it was a complicated mechanism. I won't mind if this is the future, but it may not be quite yet.

Considering the location and other options, the rate was more than competitive. I travel quite a bit, though not always at business hotels, for business - I've never had such a positive vibe from a hotel as this one. These thoughts are a bit stray: They greet you with "welcome back," which is weird at first but I really started to like it. The pillows were great. The robes and towels were great. The concierge had excellent recommendations, and every single person who worked there made me feel special and taken care of. I'm not one for hotel lobbies, but the lobby felt like a living room you could hang out in - people did - with a high table for doing work while you're waiting for someone, low window seats with pillows and a place to put your drink, and soft chairs. With the candles that come out for the evenings, a very homey vibe for the weary traveler or the person vacationing in the big city.

Good location, but the room needed serious attention.

The room was shabby--chipped paint and peeling wallpaper; dirty and threadbare upholstery; cracked table; window blind stained. Street noise (9th floor). Bed ok.

The detail in the room was beautiful.

The service requests went unnoticed and when requesting a higher room with a view, the view was of other rooms and not the view we expected.

The detail in the room was beautiful. I love the atmosphere. The staff were friendly and the service was good.

Could not have wished for a better hotel. WIll stay there again on my future Chicago visits.

Didn't find anything I did not like.

Loved the hotel! Will definitely stay there on my future trips to Chicago. Room was fantastic, facilities were great, super clean and the staff so pleasant and genuinely helpful. Great hotel. Thank you!

• Loft King Suite

Huge issue with disrespectful staff, breaking and entering our room and watching my husband and I being intimate on the night of our engagement.

It’s was absolutely AMAZING!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Salvador, was very welcoming! He was very personable, helpful and kind at both check-in and check-out! Tim, concierge, was very knowledgeable about restaurants and “things to do!” He was 3 for 3 on restaurants in the area at which to eat! He even made and confirmed reservations for us! AMAZING EXPERIENCE!

Amazing get away for a 24 hour staycation.

Bed was a bit too mushy. There was a pair of men's underwear hanging behind the mirror. I never mentioned it though.

Amazing staff! Room was large and felt like a great living space.

Cool vibe to the room & facilities - staff super...
    • Loft King Suite

Cool vibe to the room & facilities - staff super friendly as ever; decor and finish starting to feel a little bit tired. happy to come back though.

The staff were very friendly and courteous.

The drain ran a little slow, that's really about the only thing I didn't like about the stay/room.

The staff were very friendly and courteous. The room was small, but clean and comfortable. I would/will probably stay here again.

Good location, but won't be staying there again.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

When checking in, the room was not ready on time and I was not notified about the facility fee that they tack on to your nightly stay. Had we known, we would have taken advantage of the wine and cheese in the evening, which they also did not tell us about, and the $10 credit.

The location was great.

Okay

Your front desk agent was not very friendly. Wrong person greeting your customers. There wasn't even a line up so no excuse to be so impersonal. Wish there was a pool, sauna, steam room, hot tub.

Location was great, bed was very comfortable, in-room toiletries were lovely, as was the Mighty Leaf tea. Also liked the in-room bar feature, though I didn't use it.

Absolutely fabulous hotel.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Absolutely fabulous hotel. Loved the in room desk set up (really cool nook was amazing for getting work done). Staff was wonderful, located right next to Trader Joes/Starbucks and tons of great local restaurants. An ideal place to stay on any personal or business trip.

Tim the concierge was extremely helpful and all of his...

Tim the concierge was extremely helpful and all of his recommendations were spot on. He remembered our names and helped us secure restaurants reservations and spa services.

Really enjoyed The James. Would stay again....says it all.

No bathroom fan. Sink water very slow to drain. Nowhere to hang any washing. On or off air con. Uber drivers couldn't find the hotel. Poor room lighting.

Tayo the cocktail barman. Location, room size. Restaurant food. Free coffee and muffin in the foyer at breakfast time. All staff very friendly.

excellent

they had me down for 2 rooms, still haven't received final bill, asked for a confirmation that charges will go on my sons debit carx.

hotel was amazing...

The staff treated me like a VIP - every time I left the...

The staff treated me like a VIP - every time I left the premises or returned, there was a staff person to open the door. Very accommodating! I liked the décor of the room as well - modern and different from the usual. Location and price were outstanding!

The James Hotel satisfied our needs for our stay. Very friendly staff .Late checkout a bonus.

We thought the parking fee of $65/day was very steep.

Very friendly staff. The location of the property was superb. Valet service was prompt. Really great to have a checkout time of 2 pm.

• Reviewed: 12 May 2017

Comfortable bed but bad TV service.....

If the weather is bad when you are in Chicago The James Hotel will not have TV as they must have a "dish@ system. It was raining when I was in Chicago and had no TV service for over 3 hrs.

Bed was very comfortable

Friendly staff.

Lack of facilities to just get a quick coffee beyond the complimentary drinks in the morning.

Friendly staff. Very comfortable. Very clean. Great shower.

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Great location!

Technical difficulties with Valet service. But the staff were very apologetic and friendly.

My bed at home is memory foam on top of a mattress. Very hard to travel and get a good nights rest on the road because none ever compare to the comfort of my bed. This bed by far was the most comfortable I've ever slept in at a hotel.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2016

Christmas @ The James
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Filthy carpet-stale smell in room-needs to be deep cleaned and furniture replaced. Couches in lobby need to be replaced. With such gracious employees, furnishings should match their service. John Luke - Fleur - Sid - Gerald - Gustavo - Leo - Chen -

Excellent staff throughout the entire property. Nice bed and window treatments. Excellent food and drinks.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

Love the hotel... wish our beds were bigger
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We were travelling as a family of 4 and were told that the room we selected would sleep 4 people. The room had 2 full beds and they were not big enough for 2 people to sleep comfortably. For the rate we paid, I would have expected queen beds. The rest of the room was great.

• Reviewed: 18 October 2016

Boutique Hotel Gem

Very helpful concierge & front desk staff, handy taxis & subway, attractive & clean rooms, & excellent bonuses to help guests--bikes, umbrellas, local car service. Right in the middle of Magnificent Mile.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

Not worth the money
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room had garbage and a couple prescription pills laying on the floor when we checked in. It is a pet friendly hotel and there was a dog barking between 2-2:30am in the morning which was annoying!

Location was great

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

I was very disappointed in the room. I've stayed there previously and the the room I had was very nice. This time however the room looked like it was converted from an office. For over $400.00 per night I'm not sure that I'll stay there again especially at that price

I liked the location.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Nice and practical for a short stay but need to upgrade the bedrooms
    • Loft King Suite

Layout of bedroom and bad quality of furnishings.

Lovely concierge and porters. Generally good service with a smile. Found the rooms tired. Common areas ok.

• Reviewed: 9 September 2018

Loved the location!

Loved the location!

• Reviewed: 8 September 2018

Cute boutique hotel in a great location

Towels we old an scratchy. The sheets were not soft and we ordered blankets and they were rough too!!

Set up well, liked the modern look

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The bed was very comfortable!
    • King Studio Suite

Nothing it was great!

The bed was very comfortable! The restaurant/bar was very good and accessible!!

Nice hotel in a great location.

Nothing not to like.

Nice hotel in a great location.

The best hotel in Chicago
    • Queen Studio Suite

So comfortable and cozy! This hotel makes our days!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2018

Nice hotel.

Price ended up being higher than confirmed, staff couldn’t find my reservation and joked about not being able to get a room.

Nice hotel.

Ultra convenient location!

Great location!

The staff is awesome!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms are small. Beds were double.

The staff is awesome! Great location and value.

A bit of quiet luxe in a busy location

The mini bar was the best stocked ever. The fact there is an electric kettle (as opposed to in-room coffee makers) is much more convenient.

Had a group of people on our floor partying and smoking weed. Kept my friend and I up both nights.

Location was great, neat vibe.

Amazing!

Restroom

It would have been better to have a desk or larger work...
    • Queen Studio Suite

It would have been better to have a desk or larger work table and office-style chair(s).

Great stay in wonderful location !

Hotel needs a little refresher

Staff , especially Simon the bellboy- friendly and extremely helpful

Very personable service.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lifts can take a very long time.

Very personable service.

The location of the hotel was good and near all things that...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room organized not very well the T.V was to low, but overall nice hotel

The location of the hotel was good and near all things that u need

Grad party in Chicago

Location and the staff. Tommy in particular was awesome and so helpful.

Enjoying Chicago with great service!!
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Location, great service, excellent rooms!!!

Hip hotel in great location
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The lobby was a great place to gather with it's fun and funky decor, and the early evening wine and cheese offered was wonderful!

Nice, large rooms.
    • Queen Studio Suite

Room felt a bit "well used" furniture, carpet etc...

Nice, large rooms. Friendly staff, great location, funky lobby.

Clean, quiet, and a good location.

The view.

Clean, quiet, and a good location.

It was good.

You could hear lots of noise outside...windows were not very sound proof.

Dark by mirror.

extra comfy bed

extra comfy bed

Courtesy of staff

No exhaust in the bathroom

Courtesy of staff

The location is great!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff can be friendlier :/

The location is great!

Clean room, with big bed

During check-in personal was not polite, as well the lady did not inform that additional charge will be taken from the card.

Clean room, with big bed