Reviews of The Jane 2 stars

113 Jane Street, Greenwich Village, New York, NY 10014, USA

#288 of 415 hotels in New York

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I left my luggage in the morning but returning at 11pm, the desk said they had not checked me in as I had thought, and they only had miniature rooms left. I could hardly sleep because the bed was too short. Reception gave me a proper bed the next night, and finally 30 dollars off after arguing. Other than that the room is small with an immaculate shared bathroom and it's fine!

I liked the location and it was clean, and a real classic hotel in the sense of traditional bellhops. The rooms are very small but it was enough. Great price overall!

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

Our hotel room was a bit dirty, dusty and smelly. There were some forgotten towels laying behind a bed. We had very poor wifi connection in our room. I would not chose the hotel second time...

We liked location.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Only one elevator which meant at busy times it felt like it took a short while to get up to my room

Cheap rooms for New York, in hip West Village, and right on the Hudson River for morning jogging/cycling

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The room smelled like it had definitely been smoked in. It's not a fresh-smoke smell, just the old-seeped-into-the-carpet-over a century smell, and there's no amount of cleaning that could get rid of it. Because the rooms are so tiny, it was inescapable.

I enjoy narrow confined spaces (i sleep on a twin bed at home) so the Jane was pretty perfect for me. I just wanted a roof over my head in a safe and secure place, and that was exactly what I got. Felt like a pirate the whole time I was there.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The bar was closed and balcony private function. Breakfast room cafe run by a private company, both ladies were very nice.The building has lots of potential needs new concept fresh ideas to make it feel less like a hostel and more like an alternative trendy hotel cabin room nice but Dusty.!?

Style room nice quality single cabin.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Walls were very think so could hear every door open and close

Great location, great to be able to walk around to great places close by. Stayed in one of the single rooms, I was out and about so it was perfect for what I needed!

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

We got what we paid for. More, we asked for a room as far away as possible from the noise, we got one. Everything was as advertised, as promised & as expected. Absolutely nothing to complain about ! Recommended if you travel on a budget, good location, etc. etc.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The water in the bathroom on the 3rd floor sink took ages to heat up (very small thing). No kettle in room which is difficult for tea drinkers - you can get herbal tea from Grounded cafe and Tea and Sympathy nearby till 9-10pm though.

Great location, very comfy bed and good linen. The shared bathroom is clean and has private cubicles. Free bike rental and you can ride along a bike path all the way to the Brooklyn Bridge! A really nice budget option for NYC.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

The room was small with hardly any space to move around the queen bed.

Bed was excellent. Bathroom attractive art deco look. Good hanging and clothes storage space. There's a great Bar on the ground floor. Excellent location for visiting the High-line and Chelsea markets.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

There was no coffee/tea making facility in my room. I can't function without coffee as soon as I awake in the morning. A real drag to have to get dressed to go to restaurant to get my morning coffee.

My accommodation was more than satisfactory. The bed was extremely comfortable, I loved that my room had a shower and a fabulous bath....BONUS! The location was perfect for me. Loved being able to walk everywhere, and to have the river walk on your doorstep was wonderful. Can't wait to bring my family next time. Highly recommend.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

the rooms are very small, but that's New York for you. Everything is very cosy and comfortable.

The service was excellent and the barman at Old Rose had plenty of great recommendations for things to do in the West Village.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

If you are claustrophobic, this is not the place for you. BUT I love cozy spaces, and this is that. If you plan to be out and about all day, this is a great place. The on site restaurant, Old Rose, is nice and the food was excellent. I recommend the rigatoni. My friend had the crispy rice salad and loved it. I shared a bathroom with others, and it was easy-peasy. Everything you need in a small wooden cabin like you would find on a ship. I had a corner room, so the bed was shorter; that's the only reason for my not giving a full 10 to this place. Plus the neighborhood is awesome, and you have access to cabs, Ubers, public transport--it's a great option! Thanks, Jane!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I had the most wonderful stay at the Jane, the staff were so great, the location was perfect, and the cleanliness was excellent. As a solo traveller I enjoyed my stay. The roof top bar was a lovely surprise and I watched the sunset with a cocktail. The staff gave me great advice and directions too. The rooms being a cabin are bound to be small but I had a lot of room to store my things, and the daily supply of water, towels and slippers was a lovely touch. The room can feel a little stuffy this time of year but that’s no problem. My only negetive experience was in the adjoining restaurant old rose, I had brunch on my last day and the staff weren’t very helpful and even tho it was quiet and many staff their, I didn’t feel they acknowledged me and got my order incorrect, bill incorrect and weren’t too helpful or sorry to sort it sadly.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

People slamming doors- the doors could do with padding so they are unable to slam. Bathrooms often flooded.

Amazing location. Close to the high line/ Chelsea/ Greenwich. Low price. They let us check in early. Friendly staff. Free water.

Absolutely nothing

A true gem for a female solo traveler, was hesitant about the shared bathrooms but it was very clean and perfectly kept. Great service, lovely crowd ranging from backpacker to business travelers, all ages. Restaurant, club and rooftopbar are excellent and location is superb. Decor is a bit faded but not run down.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The bed was quite small: I am not that tall and the bed was still too small for me. The room was pretty hot: it was 90 degrees out during my stay, and it was quite difficult to really control the temperature of the room.

The rooms are very nice: they are really small but they look great. The bathrooms were nice. They are very clean and they have amazing showers. The staff were all very nice. Throughout my stay I felt very safe. The location of the hotel is really amazing: close to a lot of nice neighbourhoods and cool attractions.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The Jane is in the best part of NYC! The room is small but the bed and sheets are super comfy, and the bathrooms are clean. Staying again soon and the staff are super friendly :-)

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

Stayed in a bunk bed style room. Very small for 2 people with lugggage, but ok for a night. Air conditioning unit was v loud.

Staff were friendly, hotel nice overall, great location, would go back.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

We loved our stay at The Jane. The atmosphere is great, the staff are lovely and the pictures just don’t do it justice. It’s Just like stepping into a Wes Anderson movie. The restaurant is beautiful and the bar was super cool (and so were the staff! Thanks Daryl). Our room was quirky, like a little train carriage - small but we didn’t spend too much time in it because there’s so much else to do in NYC. We went at the end of May and it wasn’t too busy at all. We’re already planning our next stay at the Jane.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

De rooms are too small (pictures are taken from a certain angle so they look bigger), very noisy and very warm. We traveled with the two of us, but could not dress at the same time. One suitcase was lying on the ground (because there is no closet) and that only left one square meter on the floor. The hotel staff was not friendly and every question was one too many. You only get one key to open the door, which is inconvenient when you travel with friends or are not always out together. The website says there is a Moroccan French breakfast, but there isn't . There are free bikes, but they are rubbish. We took two bikes for a ride, and my bicycle stand was loose, which was actually very dangerous. Also very weird when you realize that you have to pay them 200 dollars when something happens to the bike (which I would understand when the bikes themselves were okay).

The only good thing about the hotel is the location: close to the subway and to soho.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I wanted chocolate from front desk to take to room but rule is to order from room service.

Location & welcome - this is a special place esp for solo travelers

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I had some problems with the cleaning of my room, but everything resolvable if you mention this

Some receptionists were really very kind: I had some difficulties and they helped me to solve them

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

The Jane hotel is a solid choice for anyone looking to spend time in lower Manhattan. A stones throw from restaurants, retail, museums/galleries, and the High Line. Subway is a couple blocks away (an easy walk), walk over a block to the Whitney to easily catch a cab for destinations further afield. Hotel has "old school shabby" style that masks a quality bargain of a hotel in NYC. Quiet rooms. Restaurant onsite, brunch weekends/continental breakfast weekday AMs.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Super minor things because I'm a princess and the pea type of girl: Wasn't impressed with carpet in the rooms. Bed was a little stiff but definitely managed to get a full nights sleep after a night out dancing.

I love the atmosphere! It was a sailor's home originally and has kept that heritage alive. My boyfriend is a sailor and I love trains- the cabins really are like a bunk on a boat/train. There are robes and slippers and air conditioning which was nice. The staff is excellent. It is like taking a step back in time. Thank you, The Jane Hotel Staff!

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

really quirky hotel in a great location but the hotel just felt like it needed a good clean. very comfortable bed but that is where it endēd. Aircon was asthmatic and the cockroaches in the bathroom were a little too much

comfortable bed and good location

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Room size. I expected small but there was hardly room to turn around when getting out of bed. This was of more concern for a senior than others. But shared bathroom was fine.

Staff, especially in the restaurant and cleanig staff were especially good. Location was perfect, upper west village, around the corner from the Whitney and entrance to the highline Penoir was great, slippers useful.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Excellent value for Lower Manhattan in a delightfully quirky period hotel originally built for seamen 100 years ago with rooms designed like ship's cabins. Clean towelling gowns and new slippers in each cabin meant that use of communal washing/showering facilities was quite acceptable.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Quirky hotel with standard facilities and friendly staff. The rooms are made out in the style of a ship cabin - which means they are very small, but the decoration of them makes that part of the charm. Good location for the high line and the parks that run along the edge of the river. Quite a step from the 'big' NYC attractions, but you're never far from a subway station, so nowhere is far away as long as you can navigate that. Hotel offers free bikes for rent, and New York is surprisingly bike friendly, so that was a good way to explore. I went during a heatwave and found the room very hot, but the air conditioning kept it under control. Bathrooms are shared but I never found them crowded, and they are very clean.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

So much character and history here. Really clean, very friendly staff. The standard and standard loft rooms are tiny, so it might not be a comfortable stay for too long.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Room wasn't cleaned during a two day stay; shower was bordering on gross, big clump of hair in the corner

Tried to check in early, which I realize isn't a given though was assured there would be a room available; ended up taking a corner room which was fine though guessing there were others available as it seemed not to be crowed on my floor

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The bathrooms were not well cleaned. These are shared and I saw the same bits of debris day after day... that was gross. Also the shower floors were often wet creating a hazardous situation since they’re marble and slick tile floors. My room light was broken for most of my stay. I didn’t realize it until it was fixed and the mystery switch did something. Also the person neighboring my room was either smoking or reeked so heavily of smoke, my room’s AC was piping the stench directly into my room. My solution was to crack open my window and only use the fan. It was difficult to sleep with the smell. Did you know the restaurant at the Jane turns into a nightclub? It does. Bring earplugs or stay on a higher floor.

I loved the architecture and charm of the decor. Loved the location and close proximity to the Highline and Chelsea Market. I also thought the staff was really courteous.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

Restaurant staff including management were awful. Before checking in, my girlfriend and I went to the restaurant for lunch and ordered cocktails. After fumbling around the bar for a few minutes, the bartender/server told us he didn’t know how to make those drinks and that the bartender would be in at 4. We then ordered wine. At the end of our meal, my girlfriend asked if it was ok to take her remaining wine up to our room. The server thought about it for a moment and begrudgingly said “yes, but keep it low. That’s the manager over there.” We returned to the same restaurant for dinner later that evening. The host would not sit us until we were both there, understandable. Once seated, we were greeted by our server who was friendly. We placed our drink order and then shortly after, our dinner order. Drinks came out quick. After being lost in the company of one another and our cocktails, my girlfriend and I realized we had not yet received the oysters we ordered. This was 45 minutes after placing our order. The server across the room, seeing our confused expressions, realized nothing had come from the kitchen to our table. She quickly came over and was honest and said “I forgot to put your order in”. She then ignored us the rest of the night and stuck the bartender on us. We didn’t even complain at this point but we’re treated as if we did. This is when we asked for the manager who couldn’t care less or was exhausted from putting out similar fires all night. She asked us “what do you want me to do about this” and offered us another round of drinks and then also continued to ignore us. Meatballs were good.

Front desk staff were great. Rooms were quant ahdbrhe decor was nice.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

My room unfortunately didn’t have a view but i had a nice view from the bathroom! A shame i didn’t get to enjoy the roof terrace which opens only from June the 1st for the summer

I loved this authentic hotel. It felt like all the fittings were original, like travelling in time, yet with all the comforts of today. The location was amazing with bikes at your disposal

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

No coffee maker in room and no room service

Overall, it was one of my best hotel stays anywhere. Super staff! Comfortable, accommodating, quiet! My new favorite hotel in the world!!!

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

Rooms are Euro-style small. I don’t actually dislike this, but it can seem cramped. Many rooms also have shared bathroom facilities.

It’s a small, eclectic hotel with a retro style. The location is great, provided you are not a first time visitor to NYC. It’s a little off the beaten path.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The cabin rooms are tiny! About 5 feet wide! It was hilarious.

Restaurant on site is excellent and great for meetings or working on a laptop. The shared bathrooms are immaculately clean. The cleaning staff clean every 30 minutes. The hallways were quiet and clean.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

A few things but nothing major: the slats on my blinds had frayed edges. The room was always a bit stuffy since the key plug system enforces electricity including the fan to be shut down when out of the room. The shelf above my bed was so high l could never use it. Hooks instead of hangers meant I could never hang up dresses properly...suggest placing at least a couple of hangers for back of door at least. No ice on floors and after two calls and an hour's wait, l finally had mine delivered. Twice I asked for a toothbrush but the desk never had one available. I brought a gift bag of Virginia goodies for the staff but no one ever acknowledged they enjoyed it. If you are a tall or obese person, these rooms are not for you but I was fine....except my robe was a little small. Wish I could have had complimentary coffee in the room, going down to the restaurant getting dressed would be a drag. The in room guide had some old info...for example, the closest ATM listed was a deli which has been closed. But this is relatively minor stuff.

Fantastic location, not next to Subway but close enough for a brisk walk. Bathrooms were kept clean so I did not miss private room. Loved rainshower style shower head. Lots of good hot shower water. Bed clean and very comfortable. Elevator efficient. Housekeeping very thorough. In room safe a bonus. Great to have High Line and river view access. Did not use free bikes. Check in and out fast and efficient. Good to have free water replaced daily. Greatest asset was the rate...for NYC rooms, where most visitors like myself just need a good room for rest when they return after a day if activity, The Jane excels if they don't mind the cabin style rooms. When I have my husband with me, we'll book an ensuite room. The flat screen TV remote was easy to use and there were plenty of channels for my early and late viewing. The slippers were a cute amenity and the use if a robe was helpful. Bonus was that my bathroom had a view of the Statue of Liberty...cool!

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

My husband was not crazy about size of room but in the end came around. He thought the entire hotel was so so cool. Will def stay again, will stay in captain quarters next time.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

It was almost impossible storing two people and our luggage in a bunk bed room and to keep the smell and air in there decent. The Café Gitane is replaced with an Italian restaurant. And we had hoped to see the much-hyped ballroom but it was closed for our entire stay.

I liked the friendly and helpful staff and the great location in West Village.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

Limited access to ballroom as was rented out to private parties etc. Hire of bikes great, but helmets for obvious reasons should be provided

Friendly staff (on the whole)

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

We choose a captain's cabin room, first we were given a very tiny one, we could not even open the luggage nor be in the toilet both of us at the same time, but then we asked for a room swap and we got a bigger one with terrace, that is ok, on very a ok size. Be aware, not all the captain's cabin are the same and some can be VERY VERY small!

Perfectly located at the border with the Hudson river, 3 mins away from the beautiful high line and plenty of bars and restaurants just at the corners. The hotel is charming, public space are well decorated and the second room we got, after asking for a swap, as the first one was really too small, was nice, with a nice terrace.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

- Very small rooms - Bad air condition made room hot - Some of staff seemed unintrested to help, when arriving they told me my room was the only one left and xtra small corner cabin but I could have it changed the next day. When talking to another staff the next day he said all room of my room type was the same size and quite unintressed to help me out further... :(

+ Fantastic loaction + Beautiful bar cafe + Cool concept w cabin rooms + Clean toilets and showers

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

It's almost 3 miles from Time Square. If you are not a walker, that means you have to take a subway to get there. The subways appear to be safe and easy to use. I enjoyed the walk, but was a little worried walking back after dark; there is not a lot of traffic on Jane Street. Having to walk out of my tiny room to reach a bathroom was a little uncomfortable, but it was ok. These are NOT negatives, just a heads up if you have never shared in this type of accommodation. Considering what I would have had to pay in a regular hotel; it was well worth it.

The room is extremely small but it has everything you need. Bathrooms are at both end of the hallways; everyone is respectful of everyone else, sharing it was not a problem; I never had to wait. The hotel is about a 1 hour walk to Broadway, or Time Square; however the walk is interesting and sidewalk is busy. It is safe to walk it until about 12 midnight. There is a really nice roof top bar, it is worth staying there just to be able to sit up there and enjoy the view. When you get there, don't try to cart your suitcase up the stairs, leave it at the bottom and get a porter; they usually watch for clients approaching; they'll come right out and cart everything up for you. They've tried to maintain some of the old look and it is nice.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

By 9 am there was minor flooding of the bathroom floor from people taking showers.

The staff is awesome! Friendly, knowledgable, smiling. I love the cozy cabin feel of the rooms. The location is amazing, with access to the Hudson river park and walkway right across the street. Plus, free bikes to borrow!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

No where to mingle other than your extremely tiny room that only fits one. As a single traveller it was hard to meet people. Rooftop only open in summer. Ballroom only open Fri Sat sun nights and restaurant gets hired out for functions or you have to buy something to go in.

Staff great. Quirky place. Bathrooms clean.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

Rooms are VERY small - if it was anywhere other than New York, you wouldn’t want to pay that price for such a small room. It compared unfavourably with an AirB&B we rented in Boston.

Good location, as it’s difficult to find reasonably priced accommodation in Manhattan. The rooms are quirky and there is a great cafe downstairs.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Zero soundproofing. You can hear everything from rooms a few doors down and people walking past.

Location was fantastic and the free bikes were a great bonus.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I spoke to two members of staff whilst I was there - the first one was great! The other was rather curt which is unfortunate as I had such a great experience otherwise. It was my first time in NYC and needed help in terms of transport options when transferring between hotels but the staff member was dismissive at best.

Great location, lovely clean room, nice and quiet, well-stocked toiletries in the showers. Close to some fabulous restaurants AND THE WHITNEY MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART / HIGH LINE!!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The hand dryer in the bathroom going at all hours right next to my bedroom door was very disrupting and soooooo loud.

It was cute, shame the building was covered by scaffolding so couldn’t see the facade. Small room but does the trick.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

My room was above a venue for events One night a party was on and rocking🎉, the bass was enough to filter up and disturb my slumber, I am admittedly a light sleeper.

Unique, good location for my needs, good helpful and friendly staff, comfy bed, nice compact room, will rebook in future but a different room might be wiser for me. The staff were eager to change my room but I was checking out anyway. The area is right by the highline and lots to do. Subway at 14th and 8th A 10 min walk

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Entry stairs difficult for handicapped. Room just a shade too small. I was charged more than the agreed upon rate.

The staff was truly wonderful, friendly,helpful beyond expectations.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

helpful staff, they will keep your luggage in a storeroom for you- very helpful when you don't want to lug your stuff all around the city after checking out or when you check in early.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Noisy doors and depending on your room, there’s a big road on one side that can be noisy as well.

Old times charm. Comfy bed. Clean. Great neighbourhood

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The beds were so hard, I wish they were a bit less firm. And very little (if any) sound insolation between the rooms.

Attention to detail (toiletries, slippers, robe, water), good layout even for a very compact room, neat building (not cookie cutter at all). The price and location was terrific, and the surrounding neighborhood was great for walking, eating, sightseeing.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The elevator broke down so it was a pain getting the heavy bag down 5 flights. The air con sounds like bike engine. There was only just warm water in the shower on one day.

Clean, neat, tidy, quiet on the 5th floor.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Bathrooms/shower rooms were not kept as clean as I remembered they used to be. Also, information in the guide in the room is outdated - specifically regarding dining since Café Gitane moved out. There are no late dining options at the new restaurant in the hotel - contrary to the menu saying they serve late night from 11pm-2am.

Hotel staff were very helpful, easygoing and friendly, as always

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

The Jane is an atmospheric old dame bearing a not wholly unpleasant savor that, oddly enough, adds to her charm like a dry dusty perfume.

Hot water from spa shower head - good spray. Excellent privacy level in shared bathroom's toilet and shower stalls with good flush. Oversized absorbent towels, robes, disposable slippers and double down pillows. Controlled air conditioning, individual flat screens with cable, in room phone for calls or service, hooks to hang items. Room space is small, but 'cozy' with fun Victorian vintage aesthetic and character. Quiet floor; no noise interference during stay. Did not have opportunity to visit lounge or bar, though hip music flowed from café. Base provisions had better than expected quality compared to other hotels visited with a similar rating.

Everything was great!

Excellent staff, lovely made in NYC toiletries, and a refreshing bottle of water in the room. Not to mention it's a gorgeous hotel in a beautiful neighborhood

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

The ballroom was closed during the entirety of my stay for a photo shoot (one of the reasons we chose this spot was to take photos in the ballroom )

The bathroom was the most amazing bathroom I have ever been in. The attention to detail throughout the building is incredibly beautiful.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

A metal rod on the room keyring must be inserted in the wall to have electricity in your room, which means you can't charge anything while using the showers/toilets, but you can get around it by removing the rod from the keyring. Quite a pungent smell in the corridor (5th floor) on the way to the bathroom (maybe old carpets or damp), but it doesn't smell in the room or elsewhere.

Single cabin room is more than sufficient, with drawers and a space under the bed for suitcase, hooks for hanging and plenty of shelves. Clean showers and toilets, sealed off from another so it feels more private. Great location in The Village with many bars and restaurants nearby. Fast & free wifi.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Old-fashioned in a good way. Located in the former meat-packing area the hotel affords a good location for the West Village, East Village via Bleecker or West 4th is an easy walk and recommended over jaunts into uptown/midtown. Why? The onslaught of regeneration of the area by retail is robbing the area of its character and introducing the usual names - chains already well-represented elsewhere. The Village still has individual and independent shops - some of them workshops where things are actually made by people. Don't go to The Jane expecting it to be a resort hotel, it's a bed for the night with few facilities and ought to be applauded for that.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Fire alarm beeping all night and reception had no replacement batteries. Only option was to use earplugs, not ideal!

The hotel is really great value for money - very quirky and cool, like stepping back to the early 20th century.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I was put into a bunk room I had not booked for. I was travelling on my own. Complained about the room, and only when I wrote a message to the hotel manager got things going. It took two nights for the staff to get me out of the bunk room. They told the hotel was fully booked. I had booked my room back in early February and there was no info at any time before my arrival I would not get the room I had booked and paid for. Also the morning I asked to forward the message to the hotel manager the reception desk advisor ignored me and served an elderly lady behind me instead. Really disappointing visit, which they did try to make better for the last night when I was put into the captain´s room instead. If they had given me into a room I had originally booked for they would have got much better reviews from me. Bad customer service either from the hotel management or reception desk, I still do not know.

Location excellent.

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating. The location was great, subway is a 5 min walk away. Great restaurants nearby and the bar at the hotel is amazing.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I only had some trouble connecting to the WiFi on my first night. The place also seems to host parties, so you might have to navigate your way through a crowd of drunk people in their early twenties when returning to the hotel on a Saturday night.

This place made me feel home away from home. The location is perfect, situated in one of my favourite corners of NY with plenty of things to see, do, eat. The cute details and clever set-up of the room fully compensate its minuscule size. I was surprised that I was provided with a bathrobe, slippers, bottled water - considering the relatively low rate. The shower felt private, even though the door of the shared bathroom was open at all times, with a powerful jet of hot water. The building is super retro-fake, but still has a lovely atmosphere.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Thin walls. Slamming doors. Always have private parties so you can't use the rooftop bar or ballroom

Good neighbourhood. The cafe was good. Staff was friendly.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Early morning coffee required some hiking off property, but it was in keeping with the relaxed vibe of a neighborhood of apparently late-risers.

Incredible location. The waterfront was a revelation, made the whole new york trip more relaxing. Same with the neighborhood, quaint, quiet and inviting. Staff were invariably helpful, quick to share advice and smooth out any difficulties. Room and facilities noticeably clean. Robe and slippers was a nice touch. And yes, the rooms are small as advertised, but I ended up spending more time than I expected in mine and was perfectly comfortable. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend it to a friend.

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

The noise from the road/fellow guests woke me up across the night every night, even though I wear ear plugs. This was particularly bad on Friday and Saturday night, when the downstairs club was open, with horns beeping across what seemed like most of the night.. fine for a party animal but I'm not any more.

The rooms were small but perfectly formed, with some nice touches, great pillows and bath robe etc. The bathrooms were clean and I only had to briefly wait for a shower once. The location was spectacular, close to the highline and the Whitney, and Chelsea market, views over the Hudson. Wonderful. The free bike was also a lot of fun. Managed to get all the way around Brooklyn although I wouldn't necessarily recommend that if you're at all uncomfortable on busy roads!!!

• Bunk Bed Cabin with shared bathroom

The only thing was the AC and heater. AC I could control, but the heater was just on. And on 15+ degree celcius weather we don't need a heater in this tiny room, so we had blasted the AC all night, we held our door open as often we could so that air would come in. At least the heater was off when we weren't in the room. :D

A five star experience! Everyone was very nice, the room was cosy, so clean and so were the common bathrooms. I liked the key system, sometimes you could get a huge old key with your magnetic chip. The club was good enough, it was weird that they lack coctails and only had tonic or cranberry juice! But that has nothing to do with the hotel! :) Also don't forget the free bikes, amazing experience driving full speed though the Manhattan in sunny weather!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

Hallways are narrower than regular hotels and since rooms are smaller you can hear everything happening at the halls. Since there is no bathroom at the room a lot of people opening and closing doors at all times will make it a bit noisy. Highly recommend earplugs. Other than that it’s very value for the money.

Service could be friendlier

The location is absolutely amazing. The decor and charm is what really won me over. I called a few weeks before checking in to secure a room with a terrace for me and my husband and everyone at the front desk was super accommodating. The restaurant downstairs is pretty average and that includes the service but the room and the terrace were everything. Would definitely stay again!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

As I checked out, I found 2 charges that weren't mine on the bill. Someone rang up 87.83 at the bar and restaurant and billed it to my room. They checked the receipts, and they weren't even signed. They gave me a new receipt with a balance of -87.83, but currently waiting to see if my card will be credited back the money, as it was charged the full amount.

While the room was small, it was certainly cheaper than most other places. The room was also clean.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

Lots of character - right out of a Wes Anderson film! Great location near the Whitney, Chelsea, and the Highline. Cafe food was delicious, bed comfy, shower awesome, great view, cool old funky features. We loved it!

• Standard Cabin with Shared Bathroom

I feel like I was put in "Expedia Rooms", that both were not great. First I was put in a room adjacent to some of the hotel's permanent residents who also smoke in their rooms, which also means that the surrounding hallway smells like smoke. This was especially annoying because I had mentioned in my booking requests that I hated smoke and would like to stay as far away as possible from these rooms. The hotel staff were quick to remedy the situation and put me in a different room at my request - special thanks to the bellhop who helped me with my bags. However, the next room was also a mixed blessing, for while it no longer smelled like smoke I was now put in a room right next to one of the shared bathrooms, which meant that it was quite loud in the mornings and at evening. Furthermore, since the room's window faced a tiny courtyard with the building's main vents the noise level was even higher (sort of like a loud air conditioning unit running constantly). This was especially problematic because the room got extremely hot, because the heat can only be regulated for the whole building and not individually, which meant it would have been nice to open a window to sleep at night.

The hotel is quite stylish and the overall design is quite nice, even though its age shows in some places. The hotel staff deserve a special mention for always being very nice and helpful. The location is also great and you can visit lots of sights on foot, or if you are lucky with one of the hotel's free bikes.

• Captain's Cabin with private bathroom

Ballroom was reserved for privat party but my wife had been very keen to go in there. In fairness they did show us around the next day though.

Great hotel.