Reviews of The Keating Hotel by Pininfarina 4 stars

432 F Street, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#143 of 226 hotels in San Diego

Unique hotel for the travelers that seek to stay close to all the action, room was a bit tight.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The style was interesting, but concrete floors with no carpet were too cold for my taste. Make sure you check the cups - mine had a layer of dust in them). Two outlets didn't work next to the sinks. Neither did the light over one of the sinks. I'd like to see more desk space - had to use ironing board to store some things. The shower was right in the bedroom, which was odd. The shower curtains had stains which gave them unclean look. No microwave, no refrigerator (aside from the small wine fridge). The room would be too tight for 2 people.

The bed was very comfortable and i loved having my personal espresso machine in the room. Shower hardware was nice and modern and the water was good and hot. There is a wine fridge. The location is wonderful. The personnel was friendly ans responsive.

• Standard King or Twin Room

The room smelled really bad... I asked for a different room and smelled even worst... I explained the problem to the asian manager but wouldn’t cancel the reservation with Booking.com or refund the $. So I booked in a nearby and great hotel... This hotel is well located but, in my opinion, seems like a dating place. Not the place to go 👎

Great location in gas lamp
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The blinds in the old /new window setup are difficult to use as some are off their tracks. We had two different styles in our room, so I think they are upgrading them.

Great location in gas lamp. Friendly staff. Fun atomosphere.

Awesome
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Some might be disturbed by the noise coming from the pub just below.

Large room, modern style, awesome open shower, espresso machine, helpful staff, very clean.

Modern, Central, Sexy
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Our city-facing room was a bit noisy (outside traffic and yelling, bar music, and neighbors walking/moving around upstairs). One of our two sinks did not run any cold water. We told the front desk on checkout and our "boutique fee". That said, we weren't aware of this "boutique fee" until it was waved.

We were not expecting the concrete/metal/velvet carpet/Ferrari red color scheme when we booked this room last minute, but were impressed by it's unique style. This historic building is a great center-point for walking to restaurants and bars (8 minutes or less to all the best spots). If you're a musician like myself, you'll love the live music options AND the Wednesday-night speakeasy-style open jam nights. The front desk staff gave us incredible recommendations for a mixture of relaxed bars, tasty restaurants, and speakeasy cocktail joints to spice things up. The shower was great with really strong water-pressure. I noticed a lot of great European features in the shower as well as the windows.

It was a great time, it exceeded my expectations.
    • Standard Room

I wasn't really able to connect to the WiFi and when I did for a moment there wasn't any internet access.

We were given complementary prosecco when we arrived, it was a really nice touch. The concierge gave us great directions around town and was just very attentive. The room was amazing with nice views.

The best choice for San Diego
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Everything was excellent. They have no breakfast facilities, but then they have the best organic restaurant Café 21, just around the corner.

Great hotel with awesome design, extremely friendly and helpful personnel and in the best location to explore San Diego. The best alternative for the traditional hotel choice! Just loved it!

Location, location, location! - very chic - AWESOME staff!
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Wish there would have been some area rugs around the bed and shower area. It can get loud at night between 11pm and 2am with loud music from surrounding bar/club areas.

Booking and check-in was easy! GREAT staff always gave us very good information for sightseeing and good places to eat. Very comfortable room with very nice amenities. Great location for walking everywhere downtown!

Cool digs in the heart of the Gaslamp District
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The pillows were too thick and, being in the heart of the Gaslamp District, quite a bit of street noise drifted up when I was trying to sleep.

The staff is exceptionally excellent at this facility and it is in the very heart of the Gaslamp District. The rooms are modern and cool.

Overall a good experience and good place to stay on a budget. I will stay here again for sure.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

My last morning shower was cold. No hot water.

I stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference. Excellent location in the Gaslamp District. Walkable to the Convention Centre and Marriott Marquis and even the Seaport Village. Well, I like walking, I even walked to Little Italy, took like 25 mins strolling. P.S: Try the app called Free Rider, Denzel at front desk recommended it. Its a free form of transportation within a huge radius. Lovely restaurants nearby. Also, try the coffee at the coffee shop downstairs - Simon Says Coffee, amazing espresso based drinks!

room was relatively big, clean, comfortable bed.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

should be noted that shower is in the middle of the room with no real privcy. didnt bother me as i was traveling alone. the room was a bit strange looking, but not necesarily in a bad way. no safe in the room.

room was relatively big, clean, comfortable bed. complemantry water bottles. good location for downtown, close to all resturants, pubs and attraction. did it all by foot.

Interesting modern design in a fantastic location!
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Hard floors could use area rugs for noise control. Complicated coffee maker. Some attention to minor maintenance details needed (paint touch up, shower temp handle broken).

Staff was super nice and helpful. Bed Very comfortable. Shower had good pressure & selection of shower heads (rainfall & regular). Large drawer under bed for storage. Big lumbar pillow in chest at foot of bed! Great Location.

The staff, location, and decor were all great.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The industrial sinks next to the bed were a little weird, and we didn't really want to shower in front of each other every time. Also, the "fitness center" is a bad joke.

The staff, location, and decor were all great.

Would stay here again in a heartbeat
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

I hadn't read the fine print after booking so the extra $25 boutique hotel fee was a surprise.

Great location right downtown with attention to detail. The double headed shower was amazing so too was the comfy bed. Staff were super friendly and helpful. Loved the penthouse and laughed at the mirror on the ceiling yet it was over the bathroom.

Don't stay here, You will regret it.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The room was ridiculous, the "King" bed was two twin mattresses side-by-side, leaving a crease in the center that was impossible to sleep on. Each morning at 6 am, loud radio came blaring up the "courtyard" area. My view was the room opposite me, where the occupant stood in the window naked. I was also charged a higher rate than quoted, and additional "preservation fees" are added beyond what I was quoted.

Very little

Do not stay here. Our sheets were recycled in stead of cleaned. For this type of money stay elswhere
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

There was hair on our bedsheets. Urine and Blood stains on the mattress. The room and hotel felt and looked dirty. The staff took care of the situation as best they could but it doesn't change the fact that there was hair, urine, and blood stains on our bed.

Really nice room albeit a leaky ceiling, missing slippers and street noise (for those who mind)

The hotel could not provide indoor sleepers contrary to advertised on the Booking.com room facilities list. During the rain storm that affected San Diego during our stay, water leaked from the ceiling during the night causing noise and making it difficult to sleep. The busy Gaslamp Quarter street can be noisy in the weekend but it was ok for us since we were expecting it.

Nice room decor, style and window view and seats.

Great location, dirty rooms
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

I was not fond of the initial room we booked, it was very small, the toilet was in a separate room but the shower was in the same room as the bed. The closet furniture in the room was very flimsey and did not slide as they were supposed to. There was candy/snacks in the room you could purchase that had a thick layer of dust on the packaging. We had to pay an extra $135 to upgrade to one of the larger rooms. The upgraded room was much more enjoyable as it was obviously larger, had a corner view of the entire street intersection, a rainfall shower, a jacuzzi tub, was sized and designed like a 1 bedroom apartment without a kitchen. However, this room was also dirty. The window seating (a couch that curved with the windows/wall) had stains ALL over it, the seat cushions and the back rest cushions. I couldn't bring myself to sit on it. The jacuzzi tub had a dirt ring around it where the water line was last filled to. I was extremely disappointed to have a dirty room. Especially considering the amount of money we spent.

The front desk employees were fantastic. Extremely friendly and provided great customer service and I enjoyed the fact that the hotel was in the middle of the Gas Lamp District.

Best location, fantastic staff, comfortable rooms with great design!!
    • Standard King or Twin Room

I had an excellent stay at the property, the front desk were amazing and Adriel who helped me book my stay was a MASSIVE help. I work in the hotel industry and I was really astounded with the positive and incredibly helpful attitude of the staff!

Great!
    • Deluxe King or Twin Room

The rooms' walls are kind of opaque. I can hear many conversations, people coming back late from partying...a bit noisy. U will need earplugs sometime to sleep.

Rooms are spacious and well designed. Bed super comfy. Coffee machine & water always refilled. Excellent location, although noisy on weekends.

Basic, comfortable and well located
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The inside decoration is a little bit bizarre. Rooms are also different than a normal one, but they are spacious and comfortable.

Cost / benefit is very possitive. The hotel is comfortable, in a great location.

• Reviewed: 25 May 2017

What a hotel and experience, must book another stay
    • Standard King or Twin Room

It's the oldest lift in San Diego, so don't want to be too harsh, but it is quicker to walk downstairs. Could be a bit noisey, but great bars all around so to be expected. Expensive valet parking.

Amazing looking hotel, has history, style, friendly, really helpful staff. Great views If upstairs. Perfect position for exploring the area and if you like bars and restaurants. Great Irish bar next door too.

• Reviewed: 10 May 2017

Would not recommend it.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

I had some problems during my stay that could've been treated more professionally by the staff. First I had sent a package through UPS and the UPS travking number said it was delivered there but they claimed they never got it. I had previously called saying that a package would be sent bur it seemed that nobody was really caring that I had a problem. I understand that pergaps this wasnt't their fault but I felt that nobody was actually really willing to help me find what happed. So an UPS investigation had to be open and this was all upsetting. The front desk person didn't find it and kinda pushed the problem to the manager but he wasn't physically there so I sent an email and only got an answer 2 days later... Secondly at the check out I discovered that they had already charged my credit card. I was actually going to pay in cash but i didn't have the option because the had already checked me out... it was really unpolite. When i asked if this could be undone, i wanted to pay in cash they said it couldnt. We all know how credit cards work, of course they could, but i felt that they just didn't care. I was so tired and being a women travelling alone sometimes you just let it go. I will pay an extra 6% due to my country tax credit card policy though. And what disturbed me was not being asked before being charged.

Location is great. Room is very confortable.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

Eclectic Hotel
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Street noise level too high, always some drunken idiot screaming at 2:00am, no glass of prosecco on arrival as advertised.

Nice clean hotel, centrally located with a friendly staff. Everything within walking distance, even provided umbrellas. Noise level inside was acceptable.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

Beautifully designed room, comfy bed, great staff, central...

The weird stone garden(?) in the room next to the desk, the Irish bar under our room was a touch loud, but done by 12am weekdays so no big issue, the toilet room felt like it should have been in another hotel, wardrobe was all style no substance. All small things really!

Beautifully designed room, comfy bed, great staff, central Gaslamp location, amazing shower, Bluetooth HK speakers.

• Reviewed: 26 September 2016

Great location if you're looking for late nights out
    • Room Selected at Check-In

Wasn't mad on the room layout with the shower and sinks being in the bedroom. On the return of our car from the valet, someone had been through the car and all the contents of our glove compartment were on the floor.Luckily there was nothing there to take.

Great location - but maybe not suited to someone looking for a quiet few nights away as its in the centre of the Gas Lamp Quarter.

The bed and pillows were very comfy!
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Moldy smell in our room. We stayed 3 nights and they never once came and cleaned our room. We would turn the light on for cleaning be out all day and come back to no cleaning.

The bed and pillows were very comfy! The staff was awesome! Location location location.

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

Thank you for the upgrade!!!
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The cleanliness~ it wasn't dirty but I have high a standard of cleanliness

I really enjoyed the American horror story contemporary vibe. It ws creepy yet cool and very nice. We got a complementary upgrade to a room w the sauna and hot tub and we really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for a wonderful experience.

• Reviewed: 31 July 2016

Nice design with the involuntary party option

The WIFI was very, very slow. It was hardly possible to open a website. I asked the front desk manager if there is a problem with the internet but the answer was just: no. Further, the Irish pub right next to the hotel seemed to be a good partying place as we could here the music and especially the bass very clearly in our room. The weird thing was that until midnight the noise level was okay but than they turned up the volume and it was possible to join the party even without leaving the room. Maybe noise cancelling materials on the walls of the pub could help to avoid the music spreading around the whole building. I am mentioning this as I expected a quite room for the price.

The Junior suite was really nice. A lot of open space and a very appealing design. The Italian coffee maker and the bathrope/kimonos were a nice extra.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Worst hotel I have ever stayed in

Sports facilities were awful. Rooms were very noisy with music from bar below until after 1am in morning. Many things are broken: toilet blocked and really smelly (we had to change room it was so bad) then bathtub surround, shower tap, window pane all broken. We had to keep chasing up staff for the roll up bed. Worst night we have ever had in a hotel. We slept so badly that we regretted coming to San Diego.

• Reviewed: 27 July 2016

If your going to be partying in the Gaslamp and don't want to sleep this place is for you
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The location is in the middle of the Gaslamp area and extremely loud. If you want to be able to go to sleep before 3 or 4am every night don't stay at this hotel. The windows are single paned glass and offer no sound protection from the outside with bars and partying people going on until late at night.

The rooms were clean although they are weirdly laid out with the glass enclosed shower in the corner of the room and the toilet in a little closet type are with a pocket door for privacy. The bathroom sinks are also in the main room about 5 feet from the end of the bed.

Location and style
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Has not been refurbished since 2012 when i was last there everything is so old and technology obsolete

Location and style

Great location!
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Great location! Would definitely come back.

perfect
    • Deluxe King or Twin Room

not applicable

nice service

Overall location was convenient, bed was great. Facilities do look outdated.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Hallways did have a moldy smell

Comfortable bed, great location

Huge comfortable room, great location, very friendly staff.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Rooms should be cleaned more elaborately but it is ok.

Huge comfortable room, great location, very friendly staff.

People working here are really nice and friendly.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Cumffy bed, dark in room, and good location.

Great shower

Great shower

We are definitely coming back!

It smelled a bit weird

The service was excellent, the location was perfect, and the balcony was really cool

I want to say thanks to the staff were really kind and helpful the room was amazing and completely s
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

I really enjoyed our stay

Complimentry use of business meeting room!

Complimentry use of business meeting room!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

• Standard King or Twin Room

Value, size of room. Overall disappointed.

Nice for a conference

Central location!

Large room
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Concrete floor in room. No info given about the hotel

Large room

Relax.

No restaurant.

Wider room.

Style and staff
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Expensive parking but this is a SD problem

Style and staff

Location only found a cockroach

No facilities in room

Only location

Bit noisy.

Mandatory fee 25 USD per night
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Mandatory fee 25 USD per night No free WiFi Poor WiFi signal at some places of the room

shampoo, complimentary water, towels.
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

shampoo, complimentary water, towels..... sometimes were not supplied enough or changed after room make-up.

Beautiful hotel, comfy bed, great location!

A little noisy but not too bad.

Beautiful hotel, comfy bed, great location!

Excellent staff !

Excellent staff !!!

Excellent stay, very helpful staff.
    • One-Bedroom Corner Suite

Little noisy in hotel .

Great location in center of gaslamp district, can walk everywhere.

Found a cockroach
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Found a cockroach Booking.com threw in a booking fee of 25 dollars not in the price

Fantastic stay in the lively Gaslamp quarter - quirky hotel, with excellent, attentive staff!
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Fantastic location within the lively Gaslamp quarter. Really quirky design hotel, with excellent staff - so friendly and attentive.

Location and cleanliness
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The shower head is leaking and was uncomfortable.

Location and cleanliness

• Reviewed: 22 February 2017

Amazing staff at the Keating
    • Standard Room

The area comes alive at dusk so it's noisy until early morning

Great location, close to public transit and downtown core.

Boost up your wifi
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Bad wifi. Suck really bad!

Interior looks modern.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

Location is great!

Location is great!

• Reviewed: 16 December 2016

The Floor in the shower stall is very dangerous when wet;
    • Standard Room

The Floor in the shower stall is very dangerous when wet; an installed handle and a non slippery rubber mat will help.

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

Best Hotel in the Gas Lamp District
    • Standard Room

Everything! It's modern and has a vintage touch to it and is located next to the best clubs in San Diego

• Reviewed: 19 September 2016

Location great, modern fit out and lovely staff
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The fit out means it feels a bit cold. Be prepared for something really modern.

It's a quirky refit, clean and supported by great staff.

Great hotel With paper thin walls
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

The was a restaurant below our room and from 7am- 10pm there was music playing nonstop. It woke up up on both days of our vacation

Bed was amazing

• Reviewed: 3 September 2016

Very comfortable rooms with a very nice design

Very comfortable rooms with a very nice design

• Reviewed: 1 September 2016

The location and the style of the room
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The room was a bit smelly.

The location and the style of the room

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

Loved this place ♡
    • Standard Room

Everything was great! A little expensive since it's downtown San Diego and had issues connecting to WiFi but the hotel itself is amazing!

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

I had a great experience with this hotel.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

Staff service was on point and they were available at all times.

• Reviewed: 22 August 2016

Beds were amazing and everything was so clean.
    • Standard Room

Privacy of the shower and toilet were a little surprising.

Beds were amazing and everything was so clean.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

Good Location even if a littel bit noisy at night (close to the 5th street)
    • Deluxe King Bedroom with City View

Breakfast not included and noisy at night (not well insonorized)

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

The bed was comfortable.
    • Standard King or Twin Room

The windows made me uncomfortable. I wasn't sure if people could look into the room.

The bed was comfortable. The towels were big and soft.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2016

The bed was reallly good and comfy.

According to a boutique style hotel, the room was sort of TOO conceptual. Here are some specifics: room floor made of concrete is too cold and not comfy at all (and there were no slippers there), there is an OPEN glassy shower box... so even though its stylish, there is cold wind coming in!

The bed was reallly good and comfy. The staff was very friendly. Also there was a strong and roomy shower in my room.

• Reviewed: 15 May 2016

Free glass of prosecco at check in, espresso maker in the...

Slow elevator. Small reception area that is deceptively far less appealing than the rooms themselves.

Free glass of prosecco at check in, espresso maker in the room, large rooms with plenty of hanging and storage space, super comfortable bed, extra large plush towels, large full glass panel shower with rainfall showerhead.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2016

Staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Being a historic property it is completely understandable that the property works be a bit dated. However they could benefit from a deep,detailed, professional cleaning. It's one thing to have the house keeper come in make the bed, wipe things down and refill there soap. But this place needs to be cleaned. I saw a few roaches on the property and chalked it up tov the proximity to ask the restraunts but we all know with roaches where there's one there's usually a whole lot more.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating.I was given a complementary upgrade to a suite upon arrival. This was a very pleasant surprise. Loved the nightly chocolates that were left in the room. Great location in the heart of the gas lamp.

• Reviewed: 30 April 2016

Location, good beds, that's it.

Absolute terrible experience. They cannot spell the word SERVICE. No facilities. They say have a spa, it is a room that fits two massage beds and they can ring outside massage person... What is this. The gym, it is a joke. Inside the conference area a small office containing two (just 2!) fitness machines. Horrible, it appeared in the show by Hotel Hell back in 2011, Gordon Ramsay gave some tips but seemed they forgotten about it. All they serve is water, that is it. There is no breakfast, no bar, no nothing. There was lime scale all over in the shower and wash bassin. Plus the coffee machine, beautiful machine but they do no replenish cups. Plus the machine was just filthy. I mentioned this with Reception, nothing done about it and machine filthy next day. A noise you do no believe one night coming from bar downstairs, I guess it is a nice bar with live jazz and all but (being on third floor) I could hear crowd cheering. It lasted till 2AM. How on earth getting fours stars, what is this. It is a disgrace for other **** properties. I absolutely never stay here again. Pros: location, beds, bonbons they serve during night service

Location, good beds, that's it.

• Reviewed: 29 March 2016

Very comfortable bed;

Not having a map, suggested dining places & 'things to do/see in San Diego' in the room. Not having instructions on how the blinds worked. They were totally different to anything we have seen before. Was quite noisy from the room above - e.g footsteps, showering, chairs scraping on the floor.

Very comfortable bed; servicing of the room was excellent

There are also 28 reviews without text. These impact the overall review score.