Reviews of The Kendall Hotel 4 stars

350 Main Street, Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA

#1 of 17 hotels in Cambridge

• Standard Queen Room

There were a large number of hidden taxes added on at the end of stay. The portion size at the restaurant was mean and expensive. The staff were a little standoffish it was all a bit contrived

the bed way comfortable

I missed blueblerries, raspberries and strawberries in the breakfast, but this is full of style as well.

The vintage style is a touristic attraction apart. Every detail spreads for each corner around the hotel.c

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

The elevator was out-of-order on the day we arrived and my son had to carry our bags up the stairs. And kaput again for a day or two after that.

The location and the homey feeling are big plusses for this hotel and the staff at the restaurant were very nice.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

Parking was a bit of a challenge. If you have a large car/suv, it will be a tight squeeze. Nor enough room or parking spaces. This would be my only complaint!

Clean, quiet and friendly staff!

The breakfast was incredible...location was great...staff most helpful..decor adorable...able to get hop on-hop off trolley right out the front door...loved the Rooftop Retreat...very private feel to it! Made us feel like we owned the property when we watched Game 1 of the NBA finals there with pizza and wings!

• Standard Queen Room

I would have preferred a proper breakfast room. The food was in one room but you had to walk to the bar area to eat it,

Great location, lovely quirky rooms. i got to stay in the tower!!

This charming, historic hotel is conveniently located steps away from a red line trolley stop, walking distance to quaint shops and restaurants and a short trip to both Cambridge and Boston. Every floor is uniquely decorated and painted with engaging colors and antiques that according to the staff are constantly being updated. The luxurious bed, sublimely soft linens and pillows make for what was our most comfortable night ever spent in a hotel room. The free wine hour was delightful with light snacks and highly rated wines. The free breakfast was elegantly presented buffet style in a drawing room. Fresh eggs, croissants, breads, bacon, yogurt, fresh fruits, waffles and so many more savory foods more than satisfied our needs. That alone would have been enough to secure a five star rating, but the staff is what encouraged me to write this review of this amazing hotel. From the moment we walked in they were friendly and helpful. Every question was answered and they didn't hesitate to research our questions and make suggestions on places to go to make our stay even better. Leilani was especially kind and took a great interest in getting to know us and even saw us out. We felt like we were saying goodbye to a good friend. We intend on staying there again to enjoy the comfort, food, excellent location, and most importantly friendly staff.

Wonderful stay in Cambridge / MA - I am so happy that I was there, close to MIT Campus, Boutique Hotel with a very family style and super fine. Breakfast ok, Service OK, - I will come back for sure

in after 3 pm and out by 11 am, necessary for cleaning, had to be worked around to make our reunion trip work without going overboard on room charges.

Staff put themselves out to create breakfast for us after restaurant closed. Location near the subway made getting back and forth to Harvard reunion easy. Room was comfortable and quiet, so we got a good rest. Staff’s willingness to hold bags for us before and after room availability made the two day stay possible. It saved us from paying another $500 to enjoy a full reunion day on Thursday.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

The elevator was out of order for 2 days. Had to lift luggage up the stairs.

The hotel had old Boston ambience and the all the staff were very helpful. Kudos to Alessandra for her cheerfulness.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was unpleasantly cold at night with no ability to control the temperature as they heat or air condition by the calendar not by the actual climate.

The Kendall feels like you are in England. There's a comfortable vibe. And then you walk out the door to the heart of Cambridge. I just love it there. So glad I found it.

Nothing. Would definitely stay here again.

I appreciated the flexibility of the staff. We brought a group back from dinner on a Sunday evening and the bar was technically closed. Staff accomodated us with drinks for everyone, which we really appreciated. Breakfast was excellent.

• Standard Queen Room

The staff are very friendly, with a few being exceptional. I love the ambience: truly a gem in bustling Kendall Square, The breakfast is excellent, with a nice and thoughtful mix for everyone, although the scrambled eggs should be less runny and kept hot, if possible.

Price is super expensive but less so than other hotels in the same neighborhood. No swimming pool or gym onsite (free access to nearby gym was offered though).

Great location walking distance for MIT. Nice and helpful staff. Great breakfast buffet. Cozy and family-like atmostphere.

A mess to arrive there. Should be ok when works in the streets around are done. Gave a coupon for the restaurant which didn’t work Pricey overall

Very original and fancy place Parking American breakfast

• Standard Queen Room

It is difficult to begin listing the many little touches that made our stay comfortable and relaxing. Perhaps most importantly was the quality of the bed, after all, that's why we are there, needing a place to sleep. With both a firm mattress and smooth sheets, the bed was excellent, we slept soundly. The friendliness of the staff, the thoughtful amenities in the room along with the endless number of interesting artifacts throughout the hotel made our second stay a very pleasant experience. The underground parking below the hotel made coming and going very easy.

• Standard Queen Room

No real iron for shirts in the room (just a kind of steamer) and nowhere to hang up clothes other than door knobs as the wardrobe was full of shelves.

Lovely quiet room, comfortable bed, hotel full of character, friendly staff and a superb location for the Kendall Square area.

• Standard Queen Room

I don't know how you could make this better...the floor of the room above me creaked. Perhaps a heavy person stayed in that room. When he got up early and walked and walked, it woke me up....When I was out walking, the hotel was hard to find my way back to without my phone gps, which had run out of power. So much construction in the area.

The decor of the hotel was creative and fun. Breakfast was delicious with many choices.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

construction adjacent lot, noisy. Could have been informed prior to visit.

rooms were decorated with real art, and unique furniture. Water, fruit, cookies and hot-cocao were free, along with a wine hour.

• Standard Queen Room

The elevator had some troubles while we were there--we were on the 2nd floor so it was fine, but something to consider in an historic building.

Our room was super quiet, the food was great, and on one evening that the restaurant had closed, the concierge personally rustled up a bottle of wine for us to take to our room. And my friend loved the Dalmatians everywhere!

• Standard Queen Room

Vents in bathroom, very cold floor. Parking is expensive, they should adjust the price to the tourist season.

Very good noise isolation. No problems with heating up the place. Worth the money.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

Staff is kind, and they always remember me. Hotel is beautiful and quiet, but full of energy. Breakfast is delicious, easy to access, consistent. Good coffee! comfortable beds.

• Standard Queen Room

Parking would have been an extra $40, but no space was available. We parked across the corner at a meter (luckily, it was Saturday night and Sunday morning).

Nice room (smallish, though), a great bathroom, good breakfast.

• Standard Queen Room

Nice staff, rooms are clean and spacious. Breakfast is amazing! We waited for the breakfast each morning because it was so tasty and there was a big variety of options.

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel is really homey. I really enjoy the vibe when I'm traveling for business (because I'd really rather actually be at home!). The room have antique furniture and feel like a real bedroom. A very nice, new bedroom.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

Lovely place, very personable staff, kind and helpful. I loved having a restaurant on site and the food and wine were excellent. The breakfast was amazing! Great central location and parking underneath the hotel. I would come back.

• Standard Queen Room

Is it possible to make a lower price for returned customer .... :)

I enjoyed the proximity to MIT, or Kendall T Station. I am fascinated by the nuance of living during 1800s by the decor. I was always looking forward to returning from school every evening to take rib eye steak plus nothing but the best wine collection. I enjoyed the cleanliness of the whole hotel plus the hospitality of the staff. Their names are Mark, Leilani, Santos and Odair.

The hotel is easy to access within, being small, and is very convenient to public transportation. Wifi is very good, the beds are very comfortable, and the breakfast is excellent and included in the room cost.

• Standard Queen Room

Grateful for parking but spaces are really tight. This is a very small issue Very small but only negative I had!!!

Extensive breakfast buffet. Cocktails (wine) every day on 7th floor lounge Great location! Tons to do in area when not at conference

40$ for parking on top of a $500/night room rate...are you kidding me?

greeting my the desk agent at 9 pm at night made me feel Welcome and appreciated my stay

The staff and the accounting system had some missteps on check-in, during the stay with payments, and on check out when trying to find out if the earlier glitches had been corrected, the staff simply threw up their hands and said you have to talk with Bookings.com. They were perfectly polite and willing to help, but hapless.

The decor and the theme of the old fire-station was a treat.

• Standard Queen Room

A few of the staff need to convey that you are a valued guest ! Very expensive early check in / out options;however, not an issue, it's your choice.

Room was very comfortable size, with extremely comfortable beds ! Breakfast was a high quality with a little European flair :) Excellent location directly across street from the " T "

The booking has the free wifi and breakfast included option but the fact is they were charged as usage fee along with other 'facility' which we may or may not use.

Proximity to MIT and mbta

• Standard Queen Room

The staff is not really friendly and efficient as you expect for such an expensive hotel. Overall, the price-to-quality ratio is not so high.

Nice styled hotel, with comfortable and clean bedrooms. The breakfast is excellent.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

The location of the hotel was excellent for transport, with public transport easy for the able from the airport. The hotel staff were friendly and the breakfast was very good fresh and there was plenty of it. You could even make your own waffles! The wine hour was fun and sociable. The hotel decoration was fun and interesting too. But the best part were the bedrooms, lovely decoration and colours, with extra specially comfy beds and the bathroom and towels and soaps etc were equally lovely. A brilliant hotel and I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

Beds are too hard and too high off the ground,needs a more comfortable chair & footstool in the room.

Location, cleanliness, great Decore, good restaurant in the hotel, excellent buffet breakfast.

For people how need an absolutely quiet place: You can feel/hear the tube running underneath from time to time, very distant. Didn't bother me at all, but since not everybody is a good sleeper I thought I should mention it.

Nice cozy rooms, recently refurbished it seems. Especially the bathroom was great, shower with separated tub with jets. Really cute building with great atmosphere, close to MIT campus (5 minute walk) and directly at Kendall tube station (2 minutes at most).

There is a parking fee of $40/day. I am disappointed that this is not informed during booking and checkout. Even worse, I was charged one more day parking to my credit card. Suggest Kendall & Booking list this, and let your customer informed.

• Standard Queen Room

Amazing staff here!!! Upgraded us to honeymoon suite for our anniversary. They were absolutely wonderful. Bed was so comfortable. Location to T could not be better! A very cool place to stay!

• Standard Queen Room

Staff was incorrect on hotel accessed neighborhood fitness facility. Hotel lower level garage parking ($40/night) was pretty tight. Though I had a pass, the second night it was full and had to move the car back up to street level.

Intimate accommodations, not a cookie cutter. Nice free breakfast buffet. Nice carry through on firehouse theme.

The staff behave cheaply and not as what one could expect from a 4 stars hotel. For a hotel that you pay more than $300 dollars per night, you expect some basic respect. Once I was in a hurry and needed a bottle of water (that costs 1$), and the receptionist told me irrespectfully that there is a machine where I could buy it!

The receptionists were unfriendly and most of the time not available. I arrived to the hotel at mid-night and had to wait for 10-15 minutes and finally calling some numbers to get a person at the reception desk.

Limited menu in the evening at the restaurant. Keep the lunch menu all day. View - but we did not spend much time in the room so it was not important.

Excellent hotel!!! We will definitely return on our next visit to Boston.

Ran out of complimentary coffee in the lobby in the afternoon on a very busy weekend. Staff didn't promptly clear dishes in breakfast room so that others could be seated. It was a very busy weekend and the hotel was completely full - graduations and reunions, so it was understandable. A mild annoyance.

Excellent location for MIT reunion. Coffee available in the morning and afternoon in the lobby and breakfast included in price of room. Perfectly quiet guest rooms on a very busy street! Comfortable!

It is an old renovated firehouse so it only has one elevator. It made for slow trips to the lobby for breakfast.

The included breakfast buffet was fabulous. The décor was quaint. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

Bedroom although well appointed was a little small for my expectations.

I liked the general ambience of the common areas and really appreciated the staff's attitude towards their customers. Breakfast was first class with reasonable choice and what was there was well prepared and presented. Cutlery, glasses and tables were all spotless.

The only negative is the high cost of Cambridge hotels in general---but if you are visiting Cambridge this is a very nice hotel.

A very enjoyable place to stay. The room was very comfortable & clean, and the historic decor added character. The lobby area is welcoming with coffee & water available. The location is terrific! Just steps from the Kendall Sq. Red Line stop & MIT campus, and an easy walk to the Charles River. The buffet breakfast was good with several choices.

• Standard Queen Room

Water pressure in the shower was suboptimal, perhaps because it was late at night.

The bed was excellent. The bathroom was fine. Robes were very soft and nice.

The front desk lady is too rigid to wake my husband up while Asian time 3am to confirm the reservation. I am my husband spouse and my son's father is him, too. There are a couple of document can prove the relationship with my husband. However, the lady insist to wake my husband up then make my husband was not happy at all.

It was really busy - fully booked - staff at morning breakfast were trying their best to keep up but kept running out of eggs, coffee etc. during the weekend. I think they may have been short-staffed.

Stayed here to visit daughter... during a very busy time, lots of events going on so hotels were getting booked quickly and at a high cost. The Kendall had a good rate and provides a relaxing atmosphere. Great rooms, very clean and well-decorated - non of that drab, same-ole stuff you get from most chain hotels. LOVE their towels and bedding! Every floor's wall color is different - makes it interesting! The rooms are all different too - different colors, decorations etc. This one had an old giant map of the solar system on it as you walked in which was very cool. Bathroom was large and lots of space for toiletries and makeup. Just beware that the hot water is very HOT within seconds of turning it on. Some rooms have a microwave along with the mini fridge, some don't. Coffee, bottled water, tea is provided. We even got a cute welcome bag with goodies in it! We love this hotel and hope to stay again!

Slow elevator.

Very large room. Plenty of storage space. Comfortable large bed. Excellent free hot breakfast. Very convenient location next to subway stop and MIT. Nice public room on top floor.

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

Everything very good except the scones which were very good but now more brunch buffet.

Eggs delicious. Scones good but not as good as before when they were out of this world and worth almost the hotel. Decor fabulous.

The non-firehouse decorations seem a little random.

Love the firehouse theme since it's in an old firehouse. The bed was truly fantastic-- one of the most comfortable I've slept in. Shower is also really really good.

Vastly over-priced!!! I stayed during Harvard commencement week, which was the excuse for over-pricing. But hotels have to deliver if they are charging such a lot. The service staff - receptionists, wait staff etc - were brusque and off-hand, which created an un-professional impression. The bedroom corridors spent all day lined with baskets of clean towels and bedding for the rooms. The décor could be described as 'quirky' - i.e. no coherence - random furniture and objects - which created a messy impression. My guess is that carpets and upholstery were clean but the dark colours and random interior design created an unclean impression. Rooms were dark.

A very convenient location close to the Kendall T-stop and the MIT campus. Comfortable beds. Clean bathroom. Good, fast wi-fi connection. Quiet.

• Reviewed: 27 May 2017

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

The underground parking garage has a limited number of spaces and is very challenging to use, especially in a larger car.

The room was very comfortable and well maintained. The breakfast buffet was very good. The hotel staff were friendly and very helpful.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Hotel website stated mini-fridge in room. There was none. Also they didn't seem to have a bellhop. It was the female concierge who offered to help. It was a challenge navigating with two heavy luggage up some steps.

Fantastic location! Less than five minutes' walk to Kendall T station and bus stop right across the street. Cafes and restaurants everywhere.

It would have been helpful if menu in restaurant was a little more descriptive. Had to send something back because something in it we couldn't eat.

Staff was very friendly and accommodating. Hotel was immaculate.

• Standard Queen Room

My room, while insulated from most of the interior sounds of the hotel, was in a position to capture all of the street noise. The room temperature was controlled by a quiet fan, but was sometimes hard to maintain.

Beautiful property, attractively decorated. Friendly service. Food was excellent. Very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Perhaps a tiny microwave oven missing? Would be better if they had one just in case..

The special kits supplied for the Boston marathon for runners early morning!! Awesome arrangement

• Reviewed: 23 April 2017

Location is great, it's just besides Kendall station, opposite to legal sea foods. It's quite convenient to campus. Room is neat and tidy, it's so clean and facilitated. Stuffs are helpful and friendly. Excellent choice to stay in Cambridge!

Breakfast room and rooms to sit down was a little compact for size of the hotel. The hot choice was also fairly limited

Friendly Atomosphere, high standard of cleanliness, bed and room very comfortable

I booked 2 rooms at the same time but it went through as 2 separate transactions. My credit card charges £10 for each transaction. Feedback to Expedia rather than the hotel.

Loved the cookies and the wine hour, that was unique to the big hotels I usually stay in. Small and friendly feel to the hotel.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

• Standard Queen Room

There is nothing not to like about this hotel.

Wonderful hotel. Very convenient for public transport. Good breakfast. Wine tastings were a great way to meet people. Carla was extremely friendly and very helpful.

• Standard Queen Room

The only thing that could have been better was it was a little hard to navigate around the buffet tables due to there being very little room to put your tray down to get food.

The eggs were fluffy and they had a good variety of food at breakfast, it was delicious. In the room my wife commented on what a great idea the black washcloth was for makeup removal, and how good the shower was., also the bed was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 31 March 2017

The room gave on the backyard, but unfortunately this is the MIT technical something which is quite noisy at night with people working at all hours (still ok to sleep)

Vefy good breakfast with fresh food and backery!

Too cramped in at the bar, restaurant area.

Nicely decorated room. Neat and clean. Breakfast buffet is nice. Great location for Cambridge or Boston. This was my 3rd time here.

• Reviewed: 7 March 2017

I asked the reception twice about calling a taxi for me or my friend and they directed us to the Marriot hotel taxi rank in the snow and cold conditions this was an inconvenience. One receptionist did get me a taxi when I was going to the airport and I was grateful but feel this is a service that should be possible 100% of the time.

The bed was amazingly comfortable

• Reviewed: 15 February 2017

Everything was good and met our expectations.

We liked the overall feel and the ambiance. The staff were quite friendly and ready to help with any queries or requests made.

• Reviewed: 11 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Thermastat seemed to be stuck. I woke up at night to a very hot room and turning down the temp didn't turn off the heat coming out.

Very nice decor, staff, and breakfast. Location is great for a visit to MIT. Lobby is an inviting place to hang out. Dinner at restaurant was excellent.

• Reviewed: 4 February 2017

• Standard Queen Room

Honestly, there is nothing I can find not to like.

Nice quiet room, comfortable bed, windows that open, perfect location for my work. The staff is always so nice. Go to Area Four Piizza, Happy Lamb hot pot, and Toscanini's Ice Cream. Buy gifts at the MIT store across the street!

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

Loved it! The bed was incredibly comfortable, the shower spacious and clean and the location was perfect for my need. Very friendly staff. Highly recommended!

• Reviewed: 4 January 2017

The price for parking was high but in accord with Boston faciities.

The staff and owner were professional yet warm. Staying at a small owner operated hotel is the difference between dealing with people who are personable and those who are personal. You feel like the staff know whom you are.

• Standard Queen Room

The shower head could be better.

The comfortable, charming decor. Perfectly decorated incorporating the original building. The Christmas decorations. The proximity to the T station. Close to a Harvard Square. The complete breakfast. The comfortable bed. The fire place in the lobby. The Black Sheep restaurant. The price. The staff. Location!

• Reviewed: 31 December 2016

We liked everything.

Excellent breakfast. Coffee, cookies and flavoured water available throughout the day. Friendly staff. Warm fire in reception area. We keep coming back..superb hotel!

• Reviewed: 30 December 2016

• Deluxe Double Queen Room

The variety of the breakfast.

It is a very homey hotel. Like a home from home. Close to public transportation. Easy to go any where. Also like the free coffee during the day and free wine during wine hour.