Reviews of The Lenox 4 stars

61 Exeter Street, Back Bay, Boston, MA 02116, USA

#1 of 81 hotels in Boston

9.7

One of the best hotels during our trip to US
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Helpful staff, advising on restaurants and nearby activities. Very nice pool (the Spa was under refurbishment at the time of our stay). Rooms are spacious (also for a family of 4 like we were), modern and clean, with a wonderful view on Phili's skyline. Highly recommended.

Great boutique hotel in the Back Bay!
    • Superior King Room

Gym functional but not as well equipped as the Marriott or the Four Seasons.

Excellent location and very attentive staff! Great rooms and very quaint.

Beds were comfortable
    • Junior Queen Suite

I was charged an extra $100 for no reason The queen suite was smaller than expected

Beds were comfortable Room service was phenomenal in the morning

Love the hotel.
    • Junior Queen Suite

The bathrooms are a little cramped and don’t have that much counter space.

Love the hotel. The rooms are spacious and the beds really comfortable. The staff is great all around.

Ok, but cleanliness was sub-par
    • Classic Room

Bathroom layout was odd, with the toilet behind the door. Closet was tiny, literally too small to fit my wheelie-suitcase. For such a high-end hotel, I expected better cleanliness. Both the bedside table and the bathroom vanity had not been wiped down and had marks from cups and other traces of grubbiness.

This is an old building but it felt well-maintained.

Top class & friendly hotel
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

rooms a little dates. A/C was noisy

Staff very friendly & helpful. lovely big room. Breakfast was excellent. Location is perfect for sightseeing in Boston.

• Reviewed: 7 September 2018

The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The room and hotel was very clean and comfortable.
    • Junior King Suite

The hotel staff read our notes and sent a goody bag and card for my daughter’s birthday. Very nice touch! Bottled water was appreciated with the extremely hot temperatures outside!!

A warm welcome from a classy hotel - perfect
    • Classic Room

Nothing - the hotel was perfect

The staff at the Lenox were wonderful. From the little touches like providing little packets of sunscreen to assistance with transport. Every member of staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome. The breakfast was delicious and good value. The hotel has a wonderful smell that is filtered throughout the building with adds the added touch. This is a very classy hotel. We can’t wait to return.

Comfortable bed.
    • Superior King Room

More towels; we took showers in the morning, then there were no towels later in the evening. Bottled water in the room. We received water the first night, not the 2nd night. Our order for in-room breakfast was incorrect and we were over charged; it was fixed.

Comfortable bed. Decent Health Club.

The property is a beautiful old hotel but fully renovated...
    • Junior Queen Suite

The counter in the bathroom was really small and there was no storage for toiletries.

The property is a beautiful old hotel but fully renovated and extremely comfortable. They got it all right: good restaurants, comfortable bed, good water pressure, outlets placed where they are supposed to be...no detail missed. And the staff was lovely.

Beautiful classic hotel with excellent Staff!
    • Classic Room

My only two complaints are that the bathroom was incredibly small, difficult for one person to navigate. And there were numerous odd sounds through the night which woke me up. I was on the 11th floor and I don’t know if perhaps I was near a Staff storage area or what. Otherwise loved staying there!

This is a beautiful, elegant hotel with top-notch Staff! Location couldn’t be better. Right across from the incredible public library and walking distance to amazing restaurants like Sorellina. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 25 August 2018

Fantastic location and good sized clean rooms
    • Junior Queen Suite

Staff at the breakfast restaurant were not friendly and service was poor, but the food was good. Lenox limo to the airport was extremely expensive ($140)

The room was large enough for the four of us, clean and comfortable. The concierge was lovely and very helpful. Location was perfect.

A wonderful, friendly hotel
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Wish we could have stayed longer!

Loved it. A beautiful hotel close to all the sights. Staff couldn’t have been more helpful and the bell boy decided that we needed a different room with bigger beds as soon as we got in there. He dealt with Reception and got us moved. Lovely turn down service and comfy beds. Also the bathroom products were lovely (I’m very fussy) and I wish I’d bought some to take home. Close to the prudential center for shopping/food and also to the lovely Newbury Street.

• Classic Room

Their room was so small you couldn’t even get around the bed. You need to hold your arm a certain way to use remote on TV. Absolutely ridiculous for the price.

Enjoyed our 15th Anniversary celebration there very much!
    • Superior King Room

The staff was very friendly and helpful and the property was amazing. Enjoyed a drink in the bar and breakfast in the restaurant. It was located in an area that made it easy to walk to sites we wanted to see.

Sits beside the Boston Public Library and the trinity Church.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Would be better if there is boiler provided.

Sits beside the Boston Public Library and the trinity Church. Great facilities, I love the decoration! Room is clean, staff are kind.

the lenox hotel has everything you need from breakfast to...
    • Superior King Room

the lenox hotel has everything you need from breakfast to late night cocktails plus great location and the staff is top notch ready to help in any way they can its an awsome hotel and the rooms are spotless

Awesome experience!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The building was beautiful with lots of character and absolutely spotless. The staff were all so very friendly and very eager to help and answer any questions. Lots of extras too! I will always come back to this place when in Boston!!!

Could not have been any better!

Liked everything.

Service super excellent! Jenna, receptionist was outstanding and provided us with everything we wanted. Great location near excellent restaurants. Room was large and kept super clean, and we were on 11th floor with a wonderful view of city. Bed most comfortable.

Loved Boston and this hotel added to our first experience there.
    • Superior King Room

All the furniture that makes a stay special were there: nice robes, shower, bed, and soft towels. Hotel is centrally located and convenient to Fenway(30 min. walk) or downtown(Freedom Trail)

The location, the staff including but not limited to Conrad...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The location, the staff including but not limited to Conrad and all other front desk staff, bell-boys, complimentary coffee, water and transportation, size and decoration of the room and many other aspects made our stay more than wonderful!

Wouldn’t stay anywhere else!

I hated to leave.

Favorite place to stay in Boston! The staff went above and beyond our expectations! Very friendly, very professional, very accommodating!

Great stay overall, the location couldn't have been better! Only downside was the expensive parking.
    • Classic Room

Air condition was loud, parking was extremely expensive at $49 per night.. Should have been inlcuded in my opinion.

Bed was very comfertable, location was excellent and staff very helpful and friendly!

Overall not what we expected...
    • Junior Queen Suite

Our room was dark /facing a wall and overall quite used-up. The air conditioning is noisy even when completely switched off - it was like sleeping in an airplane. We asked reception to fix it but nothing happened, I doubt it can be fixed without complete renovation. The room was kind of noisy from the street in the morning too. I will definitely not return.

Courteous staff, nice lobby and excellent restaurant. Very good coffee in the lobby.

Absolutely amazing, perfect in every way.
    • Classic Room

Fabulous Hotel,far exceeding the great reviews.Very luxurious,with lots of extra touches,wonderful smell throughout the hotel, fantastic location,extremely welcoming staff ,and our room was beautiful.

Nice but could have been better
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The phone in the room did not work and called down to the desk and they said they would send someone up to fix it. No one came during our entire stay, and the phone did not work. Also there was another name on the room account and when I called about it, they said they could not remove the name on my account and that the name was from 3 months ago.

The staff went out of their way to see that we were ok with our stay

Very elegant place at a good rate, great location near the Library.
    • Superior King Room

I couldn't figure out how to adjust the room temperature. I like it a little cooler than it was. Also, one evening, the restaurant was crowded with a pro sports team, so it took forever for my simple dinner (soup) to arrive when I sat at the bar. I ended up cancelling the order.

The restaurant choices were great. As a woman traveling solo, I felt safe and comfortable dining by myself. The bar area had a nice buzz without being noisy. Elegant is the best word for it.

We had a great time at this hotel. I would def stay here again if I’m back in Boston!
    • Superior King Room

I need softer pillows. The room took longer to cool than I like.

Close to everything. We either took an Uber or walked! The lobby smelled amazing! I bought the candle of the scent they used. I thought everything was beautiful including the elevator. The lobby is small and there is a bar and a restaurant off of them. The rooms were very quiet- I never heard other guests and it was a busy weekend! Room service was prompt. Great view from our room.

A pleasant experience
    • Classic Room

There is a strong perfume smell in the lobby. If you like the scent that’s great, if you don’t, it’s a little overwhelming. Also the TVs did not have on demand programming. If I wanted to watch a movie it was $20

The staff were all very nice and professional. The hotel was well kept and room service was great!

We booked and paid for a superior king room however we were...
    • Superior King Room

We booked and paid for a superior king room however we were put in an “interconnecting room” which had no sound insulation with the room next door. You could hear every conversation, we asked to be moved and were relocated to a downgraded sized room. The breakfast was awful, cheapest of the cheap ingredients used. Otherwise is was a nice hotel in a great location.

Pretty close to perfect. Great weekend.
    • Classic Room

Would like a room a little larger. Bed was too hard for me. I have fibromyalgia.

Old hotel so the rooms are relatively small. Staff was wonderful. House car took us to dinner and brunch. (We didn't need to call Uber as many times. Housekeeping was wonderful and helpful. Front desk and restaurants were wonderful. Kaitlyn is a fabulous bartender. Brendan, our driver, was great. Bell staff great. Food - timely and delicious.

Great hotel in excellent location, we'll return!
    • Superior King Room

Excellent location for walking around town. Back Bay is a great area, the Lenox is a few steps away from Newbury St which is full of wonderful shops and great for a walk. Copley subway station is around 100 metres from the Lenox, as well as the stop for the express bus to Logan airport, stopping at the public library in Copley sq. If you use the subway during your stay, keep the Charles ticket and show it to the express bus driver, this will save you around 7.50 USD on your trip to Logan ;)

FRAGRANCE ASSAULT!
    • Superior King Room

The Lenox is a beautiful historic hotel, but I am sad to say we will never stay there again. When you enter the lobby, you are assaulted by a wave of lemony perfume, pumped into the lobby for everyone to breathe, whether they like it or not. We complained twice and were told that "more people like it than don't" so they keep it going even though it draws complaints by some, presumably including those with asthma or fragrance allergies who are at risk of becoming seriously ill when they breathe the product into their lungs. This trend is disturbing and shame on the Lenox for falling into this marketing trap, which causes resentment (and possible illness).

Heaps of little extras, like a very good coffee waiting for...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Heaps of little extras, like a very good coffee waiting for you in the foyer as you came out the lift, beautiful scents diffused, friendly interested staff. So good.

The charge by Booking.com to my personal card was a pain to deal with when I got back to the office.
    • Classic Room

Booking.com charged my personal card instead of my Business card despite being assured by hotel staff that there would not be a problem.

The style of the hotel was neat. The room was clean and nice.

Everyone one of the staff members was incredibly friendly...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Everyone one of the staff members was incredibly friendly and helpful. The concierge wishing us a good day every morning was quite nice. And the staff at the doors quick to assist with bags.

Overall a wonderful place to stay.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Overall a wonderful place to stay. Location was brilliant a few steps from Copley Station. We ate in the Restaurant called City Table. Food was excellent and very good prices. I would recommend this hotel.

The valets are excellent - possibly the best in the city.
    • Classic Room

The television and remote didn't work together.

The valets are excellent - possibly the best in the city. Especially Justin and Mike, the heads of the front of the house. And I didn't even drive there.

I would highly recommend this hotel to friends! I will be back again!
    • Superior King Room

Woke up at 6:30 to yelling from man next door. Walls/Doors very thin or he was just yelling very loud. Could hear every word clearly and needed to cover head with pillow to dull the noise.

Staff was very accommodating and friendly. Gave us free wine since celebrating an occasion. Room service was very quick and delicious. Loved the view.

The staff was extremely helpful, we came unprepared for the...
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

There weren't any drawers in the room.

The staff was extremely helpful, we came unprepared for the rain but they offered complimentary umbrellas, the room was gorgeous and comfortable.the location is excellent for exploring on foot.

A really great 4 day break in a superb hotel in a really nice Boston Location
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nothing :) Great place and very good value and would definitely stay again.

Hotel facilities were very good. Food (Breakfast in Hotel Restaurant) delicious. Solas (Irish Bar) Food and Drink choices and quality - excellent. The best thing about the hotel is the staff. All were welcoming and courteous and responsive.

It was PERFECT!!
    • Superior King Room

Nothing we didn’t like !!

We especially liked walking into a room that had a note written to us congratulating us on our honeymoon. We also loved the location, the room the bar in the lobby !!

Great staff and good value for money in a historic building and full of character hotel.
    • Classic Room

Our room was an adjoining room. This meant that it was very loud at times. Especially our first night and after a long trip we couldn't rest because a family with kids were staying in the room next door and we could clearly hear them chatting through the adjoining door.

Excellent service and very friendly staff. Check-in was very fast. Staff would welcome us every day and on our last day, they arranged our transfer to the South station. Hotel room was of good size. Location is also good, within a short walking distance to the city centre. We enjoyed walking through the park into Boston common.

Lovely staff, so helpful and friendly, we will be back.

My double Room was a little dark, No middle light in this room. However the 2nd room with the two beds was fine. Very clean, fridge stocked with water daily. Plenty of closet room and the bonus of having a safe.

The Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially Stephanie at the Desk in the Lobby. The door men were all very welcoming.

Perfect for families and centrally located. You can walk most everywhere.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

All the staff from doorman to front desk and housekeeping were exceptional and friendly. We have stayed at many Boston hotels. This was our first time at the Lenox. We will be back! Location is perfect, the building well maintained in a traditional but updated style, decorating is done well. The rates were very competitive compared to other properties.

A lovely pleasant visit
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

I had no photo ID when checking in and this was a little stresdful however Brendan took control and sorted

The Staff and especially Brendan the manager could not have been more helpful

Convenient location, comfortable room, friendly staff.
    • Classic Room

The hot/cold water mixer for the sink in our bathroom wasn't working very well. The water would go between cool and warm rather than stay at the same temperature.

The bed was of perfect firmness! Loved the complimentary bottled waters, too.

The Lenox gave me the peace of mind to enjoy my trip far away from home.
    • Junior Queen Suite

From the moment we checked in, to the moment we checked out, was smooth and trouble free. The staff greeted us at the door with a warm welcome and smile. The desk was cordial and attentive. The atmosphere was inviting and the ambiance felt of old world class. The room we stayed in was comfortable and spacious. And like I said, the staff (from the cleaning people to the desk) are amazing. I would come back to The Lenox time and time again.

An overall wonderful experience! I highly recommend The Lenox for business or pleasure.
    • Junior Queen Suite

The only thing missing was an in room coffee maker. Coffee and tea were provided in the lobby, which was nice, but I would have loved the option of having coffee in bed.

The location of the hotel is excellent! Within walking distance of everything you would need and most things you’d want to see. The room was comfortable and clean and The wood burning fireplace was a charming addition and made it feel like home! The staff were excellent and made sure we had everything we needed.

We've been looking for a regular hotel in the area and I think we've found one.
    • Classic Room

The size of the room, the options in restaurants and bars, the location and some small things. I liked the use of wall mounted containers for shampoo, soap and the water carafe. It meant much less wasted plastic.

Will never stay again. Noisy, no soundproofing, poor business setup. Staff not receptive.
    • Superior King Room

No good option for lunch, just pub. Business area stand up only, no seats, common areas small, bathroom and noises from other rooms, very noisy. Staff didn't care to hear about the issue on checkout, seemed to just want to process the leave and not hear it,

Fantastic hotel in the heart of Boston
    • Classic Room

Location was fantastic so easy to get around the city from the hotel. The subway is a minute walk and so easy to use. The staff were great at answering any questions we had. Would definitely recommend this hotel! Nice added touch as we were on honeymoon and they upgraded us and gave bottle of champagne, we will be back!

Got caught in a snow storm so was able to book additional...
    • Classic Room

Broken plug in the shower was all

Got caught in a snow storm so was able to book additional nights. Door man is a nice touch. Free coffee was delicious. Old colonial style hotel 👍🏼

Best Hotel in Boston
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nothing to complain about!

First time in Boston and staying here at the Lenox Hotel contributed to our amazing trip. Fantastic experience where the staff just couldn’t do enough for you. Thank you 😊

City Table was excellent, but room service breakfast was...
    • Junior Queen Suite

Staff was inconsistent. Room service and housekeeping were great, but felt that the front desk and concierge were irritated or barely tolerating the guests most of the time. Bell service was consistently good. Have stayed at many boutique hotels throughout the world. Felt that this was one was a bit lacking in level of service and amenities. Location is great.

City Table was excellent, but room service breakfast was subpar for a hotel of this level.

Loved it! Would highly recommend.
    • Classic Room

Not really a complaint but a suggestion. We were on the eleventh floor and had to go down to the lobby to pick up a morning coffee. A coffee machine or a kettle in the room would be a brilliant addition.

Lovely hotel in a fantastic location. The building was grand and old fashioned, which we loved, and the rooms were great and the bed comfortable. We had a drink in the bar in the evening and breakfast at the hotel both mornings, service was excellent as was the food and drinks.

On the whole we were pleased with the hotel and the fantastic room
    • Junior King Suite

Occasional slips such as beds not being prepared in the evening. And the personnel in the breakfast cafe on each day for our orders wrong.

The Lenox looked after us very well during the snow storms - the hot chocolate was appreciated

Wonderful experience!
    • Classic Room

Could use more hooks for towel.

The hotel was wonderful, staff was very pleasant, great location! Exceeded our expectations for sure. Would highly recommend a stay at the Lenox!

Staff was very polite and friendly.
    • Junior King Suite

Place needs updated. I stayed in a suite .. very large room and bathroom that looked like it was from the year 2000.. its 2018.

Staff was very polite and friendly.

Comfortable bed and room, excellent shower, towels only...
    • Classic Room

Comfortable bed and room, excellent shower, towels only renewed when they were not hanging to dry, so ecological ok and silence at night are essentials for a good night rest. Don't have much to say about breakfast as I've took it only once: quite pricy and as a European I'm not so much in for the sugar-fat combination...

A great well located hotel with exceptional staff

Gym wasn’t great but ok

Felt very comfortable.. Good temperature comfortable bed .... nice bar excellent cleaning staff , front desk staff, valets , doormen ... never felt pressured always relaxed

We had a wonderful time and really enjoyed the hotel. BRAVO
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The only other mirror in the room is in a dark corner without an electrical outlet to use hair products (curling iron, rollers, hair dryer etc.

Location is excellent, rooms comfortable, staff professional and engaging. Restaurants and bar excellent....but no VO in City Bar.

Very nice lobby and hotel overall.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Only downside was that the room wasn’t quite as nice as I was expecting for the price we paid. The bathroom was small and only had a single sink for a double queen room, and I would have hoped for a larger room with a sofa bed for what I spent on the room.

Very nice lobby and hotel overall. The lobby is really nice - there is a sitting area and a fireplace as well as two bars right when you walk in. The room was very clean and came with standard amenities.

Will definitely be back!
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Just the coffee....it is bitter and cold! However, my kids raved about the hot chiocolate!

The Lenox is just beautiful! The Libby is fabulous with the blazing fire. It is so warm and charming! The hotel smells delicious! The scent is so spa and refreshing! Love the cleanliness. Guest services is prompt and efficient. Bandaids and first aid cream were delivered for walking blisters! Lots of water was provided too! Can't wait for our next venture to The Lenox!!!

It is generally a nice one. I appreciate it.
    • Superior King Room

The bathtub is a little bit too small for anybody taller than 6’. The size of the bathtub is not compatible with the size of the bed.

The bed is really big and soft. I enjoyed it. The WiFi network works pretty good as well.

• Classic Room

The decor in the rooms is getting a little dated.

The Staff remembered me from my previous stay and were very helpful and supportive. The Bellhops outside were outstanding, as were the Concierge and Front Desk staff.

It was a beautiful location with incredible staff, close to a lot of shopping and dining
    • Superior King Room

The staff was incredibly helpful, Benjamin assisted me with the business center and I was really grateful. We had a small drain issue when we arrived and it was handled wonderfully and the Lenox staff was attentive and friendly. I would highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a nice area of town close to a wide variety of amenities.

Staff is always fantastic, very responsive and attentive.
    • Junior King Suite

Staff is always fantastic, very responsive and attentive. One of the best locations in the city. An old, historic building with a ton of character, but modernized to meet current trends. Highly recommend.

Excellent overnight stay.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The room next to me had small children that were banging on the windows and yelling early in the AM. Not the hotel's fault just poor parenting.

The room was lovely and so was the atmosphere in the hotel.. Front desk staff was very pleasant.

best hotel amongst about 15 different hotels we stayed at in the states
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

coffee, but hey I'm Australian and we're nuts over good coffee and most american coffee in hotels to be honest is pretty dreadful.

this hotel was beyond excellent. great location, gorgeous building, amazing atmosphere, wonderful facilities, fantastic rooms, great bars and restaurant. incredible staff. best hotel after one month in the US and reasonably priced. can't fault the place.

Disappointing. And check your bill before paying it!
    • Superior King Room

Very high charges for individual items. Limited breakfast choices. Tiny bathroom and closet. Noisy air conditioning. And the fact my bill included separate items incurred before I’d even checked in - in other words false expenditure items.

The location.

Location and staff.
    • Superior King Room

Rooms need updating. Sparse in terms of furniture and deciration. Had some plumbing and heating problems, but it is an old facility.

Location and staff.

This hotel is awesome:)
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The was an issue with the electrical outlet in the room. I was unable to plug in my cpap machine. The hotel staff was extremely accommodating and offered us another room. The service was exceptional and I would return again, hopefully for a longer stay.

Wonderful trip to Boston, staying in a wonderful hotel.
    • Classic Room

Coffee machine/mini bar in the room would have been perfect!

We loved the Lenox Hotel and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We went on a friend's recommendation and are so pleased we did. Everyone made us feel so welcome - from the doormen, concierge, bar staff, receptionists - we could not fault any of the service we had.

the location is great, the staff is very accommodating.
    • Superior Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

the bathroom is too small...no place to put toiletries. the shower has no pressure. Parking is expensive, but you are in a city. There is no room in closet for clothing and no drawers.

the location is great, the staff is very accommodating.