Reviews of The Liberty, a Luxury Collection Hotel 5 stars

215 Charles Street, West End, Boston, MA 02114, USA

#20 of 81 hotels in Boston

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

Brief, but a totally fun respite.

Wish we might have had just a little more view of the city...

Besides the beautiful amenities, the historical significance and the way this was displayed, along with the use of old artifacts was truly unique and fascinating.

5* rating 2* service
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

Sad, high reputation 5* hotel and location, however front desk staff cannot manage changes in bookings, charged in double as a result. Worst part was that cleaners do rooms after 5pm? Huge inconvenience and shoddy cleaning job. Cleaners pay no attention to detail, e.g. found previous soiled gown (yuck!), unreplenished toiletries, shortage of towels, etc. find another hotel!

Quirkiness of the prison conversion was great - lobby area...

Quirkiness of the prison conversion was great - lobby area huge & stunning! Room was a really good size & bed very comfortable. The staff all went the extra mile😀 Location at top of Charles Street gave good access to plenty of restaurants

The location of the hotel, and the intrinsic cultural...
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

It has been a truly disappointing experience, and we will surely never come back here. The service is very poor, not at all what one would expect of this category of hotel. The place turns into a discoteque on weekends (with loud music even in the lift lobby of the 16th floor) and despite having requested a quiet room they placed us next to the lift area and had to insist to get changed. We had arrived from Europe with two jetlagged children and the first night we waited 1:40 minutes for room service. When the food (super expensive, as this supposedly is a 5 star hotel) that we order finally came (after 2 call reminders) the meal was not what we had ordered (we wanted plain chicken breast for one of our kids and they brought super spicy chilcken wings). On our second night we requested to change the sheets of our small child's bed and when we came back in the evening we had the same bedding despite it was obviously wet....;). The worse came on the third night: our kids were asleep at 9:30pm, and at around 11 pm the fire alarm went on and we and most other guests had had to evacuate the building immediately. So we took our kids in the pyjamas and under shock 16 floors down to the fire exit of the building and waited 15 minutes to learn that the fire alarm had been caused by a faulty dishwasher machine at the kitchen. NOBODY apologised and there were absolutely no staff to help us down the building or explain what happened. When we complained in the morning we were told that the manager of the hotel wasn't there at that time, and the staff hadn't been trained to handle this incident. The result for us: our kids couldn't get back to sleep until 3am, as they had had already slept quite a while and were under shock. We finally slept 4 hours as we had to check out the next day and, after complaining again, we were offered to reduce 70$ from our bill.

The location of the hotel, and the intrinsic cultural interest of the building

5.5
    Overpriced
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Reception desk wasn’t very helpful. Rooms I booked were not available so we had to change on after first night, towels were missing almost each day. Overpriced as for me

Location is good if you want to visit a city and not use a car.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The staff were very helpful, professional and nice.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

I didn't like it that there was not a coffee maker in the room for the cost of the room. I don't want to get up in the AM and go downstairs. You can ask for a Keurig but then I had to ask for refills of the cups and the last day everyone was decaf. It seems petty but it was expensive.

The staff were very helpful, professional and nice. The view is great as well as the location.

Neat hotel but frazzled staff.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

I paid a lot more than I was quoted and had a room that was not up to par.

I booked a deluxe room with two queen beds on an upper floor. My room was to be on the 14th floor with a view other than the wall. I was quoted thru booking.com a rate of 568.00 per night with taxes and everything a total of 1519.90. When we checked in we were given a room on the 13th floor and when we entered the room was not ready I was then redirected to the 7th floor to a room they classify as superior and it was a handicap bathroom. Every time we took a shower water went everywhere. The hotel itself was really neat, the history was fantastic. Upon check out I was asked if our stay was ok and I said no. The woman at the desk must not have understood because she said ok. That was it. In addition, the final statement was emailed to me and the rate was 655.00 per night not the 568.00 I was quoted when we booked thru booking.com and we didn't get a deluxe room that I booked. The superior rooms are less money. Which I mentioned when they switched us around. I was told I would get a price adjustment. That never happened. Nor did the manager ever get in touch with me. I imagine that the message was never conveyed. As I mentioned the hotel was very cool we were just dissatisfied with the level of service and accommodations. For that amount of money I should have had a deluxe room that I booked not staring at a wall and certainly not in a handicap bathroom.

Wonderful hotel, close to the Charles River & convenient to MGH
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is beautifully and wonderfully decorated to reflect it's original use as a jail. The staff was friendly and helpful The room was beautiful and exceptionally clean. The bathroom is well appointed. It had a lovely bathtub and separate shower. The bed was very comfortable.

Liberty Hotel
    • Superior King Room

This place we called Home all weekend was a highlight of the trip to Boston. From checking in with no wait, handed a glass of champagne and hearing a little story from the friendly staff, talking about the hotel, to just getting dizzy from looking up and walking in circles to get the view of this place, to how crazy comfortable the bed was....all in all it was such an experience. I’ve stayed at one too many Westin’s and Hyatt’s, this was different and original and just like everything else in Boston, you got to touch a piece of history. It was the old Charles Street prison they turned into a luxury hotel. I thought it would be fun for my husband since he is such a massive history buff, a crime story aficionado and Police Officer. The hotel kept the original bars on the “cat walk” where the prison guards would walk and around the hotel you can see the prison cells etc, but it’s redone so tastefully with gorgeous architecture that it doesn’t feel creepy, Jail like, or like some cheesy tourist trap. The lobby bar was called Clink, and Alibi was a restaurant has this beautiful beer garden. They have a great story around the hotel so check it out if you go there. The room’s Do Not Disturb sign was a key hanging with a Solitary Sign. “Jail house” touches like that are all over the hotel. I loved it. Some (in)famous criminals stayed there and you can read about it all in the hotel and watch a story in the room about the transformation to Jail house to a beautiful hotel in a fantastic location.

The corner room we booked was very spacious as was the...
    • Grand Deluxe King Corner Room

The meals we had in the two different restaurants weren't great and very expensive. No possibility for shower after check out.

The corner room we booked was very spacious as was the bathroom. Separate shower and toilet. Everything was very clean. Furniture could have been a little more modern (without all the ornaments). Great location.

Room was large and clean, staffs were nice and helpful.
    • Superior King Room

The hotel is surround by bunch of hospitals and emergency departments.

Room was large and clean, staffs were nice and helpful. there are 4 or 5 restaurants inside the hotel, also 24hr convenience store nearby. On street parking is also available nearby.

Not worth the price of a luxury hotel.
    • Superior King Room

The hotel was having a party when we checked in at 1am. The party was in the lobby of the hotel and could be heard from all the rooms in that area, including ours. Our room was shaking from the music until about 2am. It took about 7-10 minutes for someone to get to the front desk to check us in. The staff at check in was unapologetic, unprofessional, and rude. It did2nt look like our room had been properly cleaned. After our first night we had complimentary water, more towels etc. that were not there our first night. At check out the hotel was going to charge us $20 a night for a facility fee. I asked what for. They said use of the gym, hotel areas, and the welcome champagne. We did not get champagne, nor know of a gym or hotel areas to use because of our terrible check in experience. Besides, all of that is why the rooms are expensive, so a facility charge seems redundant. They removed the charge. The concierge was unable to give a restaurant recommendation, she had no idea about any in the area.

The location in Beacon Hill was great.

Unique place to stay with quick access to great food/bars on premise. 15 mins to airport.
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

Everything was up to my liking. No complaints.

The main lobby is very cool. It used to be a jail, was turned into an historic landmark, and is now a very cool space with a few bars/restaurants attached. One of the most unique layouts I've ever seen. The rooms were clean and mine overlooked a cool, tea-lit courtyard. Wifi was free and quick. Overall stay was nice. We had good weather too so was able to enjoy their outdoor bar area. Scampo - the restaurant in the lower level was great. I recommend the lamb ragu.

The location is perfect
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

The front desk agents were not very nice. It took me really long time to check in and check out and seemed not very professional. They messed up with my name and my friend's name and charged me two payments and without apologizing. It was not a pleasant experience and was not what I expected for staying in a five-star hotel.

The location is perfect

Great location, great bars and restaurant, fab stay
    • Superior King Room

Our reservation details hadn't been transferred to front desk when we checked in, so it was quite a lengthy process. Thankfully they had a room for us, so all was well in the end.

Hotel was excellent - really well done conversion from its former life as a prison. The lobby is spectacular, and a really "buzzy" bar to go to for a night out. Also loved the Clink bar. Its walking distance from a fabulous part of the city - just venture past the busy road in front of the hotel, and wander down Charles Street... you'll be amazed

Awesome historical yet trendy hotel!
    • Superior King Room

I had make my reservation in 2 different transactions and the info didn’t get to the reception, therefore housekeeping didn’t make our room ...

Location was good! Loved that the lobby turns into into a night club on Saturday night! Very helpful, polite staff. Great to be able to eat from the lobby as it is very comfy and nice ambience!

An okay hotel but not good value for money

Detailed reviews from previous guests were spot on. Two key points: 1. The hotel lobby is a nightclub - extremely noisy so do not expect a feeling of privacy on weekends. 2. Stuff is friendly but they surely understuffed - asked for a coffee machine (yes they don't have coffee/tea in rooms) and never got it on the day. Chased on the second day and we got a full tray.

Lobby staffs is TERRIBLE!

The staffs there are super impolite, especially when they make there lobby to a club at night, the lobby staffs are so rude. One black big lady deliberate to lock us out in the yard and speak in a bad tone. The staffs in this hotel make your stay in a mightmare.

The facility is special.

We loved staying here for the weekend
    • Superior King Room

I wish there was a little store you could buy soda or snacks from if you were hungry later in the night

We loved the room we stayed in and how the hotel was turned from a prison to a luxury hotel, everyone was really friendly and helpful to us, if I ever go back I would stay there again.

will stay again

Found the restraunts a little pricey on the average however very good service.

The hotel was located perfectly for the conference we attended. The staff was helpful and friendly. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The location of our room wasn't the best off the elevator however, we were there for business and didn't spend a lot of time in the room. After daily conference we were able to walk to Boston's amenities very easily.

Jailhouse Rocks 👌🏼

Had breakfast in the Clink and thought it was overpriced for what was effectively two eggs, OJ and Coffee for 2 for $80

Excellent location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy rooms, lively atmosphere on an evening made for a fantastic stay!

Very convenient to T, room was spacious and comfortable.

Luxury hotel means everything is expensive.

Very convenient to T, room was spacious and comfortable. They did a great job supporting those of us running the marathon with bananas and Gatorade in the early morning and snacks when we got back in the afternoon. And having a soaking tub was very helpful after the race.

We loved the experience of the architecture and history of...
    • Superior King Room

For the most part we were very happy. Our only disappointments are that we were hoping for a room with a view, and there was a large spiderweb in the window alcove.

We loved the experience of the architecture and history of the space. We also especially liked our server at the upstairs restaurant. We ate there for dinner and breakfast and had the same server. He was excellent.

The hotel is beautiful but staff is not prepared
    • Superior King Room

We got there at midnight we requested a room with crib they give us the most noisy room ever the were partying so if you are a couple with kids just find something else is a crowded place, nice for young ppl for sure I stayed there before but not for family

The hotel is beautiful but staff is not prepared

Great stay but with hidden fees!

When you book at a certain price and then have to pay over a $100 more in taxes and fees it is very disappointing. Upon checkout my card was charged and additional $200. When I tried to get ahold of someone I couldn't. I was told to leave a message and the next day still had no call back. I eventually got an email response telling me that it was a hold to cover incedental charges and would take 5-7 business day to get back but the my charged another facility fee on top of everything else. Not happy at all with the fees and what you think you are paying for a room is WAY off!

The room was gorgeous and the bed wonderful. Slept like a baby. Everyone says hello and pleasant. A very comfortable atmosphere.

Disappointed with the manager on duty and his customer service.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

There were used bathrobes in the room when I checked in. There was also a mix-up with the type of room that was requested. The hotel would not take responsibility for messing up and barely did anything to try to rectify the situation.

The rooms are beautiful and the restaurant Scampo is delicious.

Great location and comfortable beds
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

Only thing missing was something to put our suitcases on as we were only staying for two nights it wasn’t worth unpacking.

The beds were very comfortable and staff helpful and polite.

It was really fun. We’ve recommended it to others. We’d go again.
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

The check- in policy was disappointing. My husband likes to check us in but I had made the reservation so he had to come find me. Paying for overnight parking really, really stunk!!! And it wasn’t stated clearly when I made the reservation. The morning coffee service could have been vastly improved with china cups and water that was hotter than tepid for a cup of tea. Thanks for asking.

The decor was unique and fun. The bathroom was big and nice. The cat walk lounge was really great. The location was walking distance to many sites.

Hip, fun, lively/loud, unique
    • Superior King Room

We were initially given the wrong room type, and the first staff person we spoke to said there were no other rooms when there actually were. Also, we were bothered by noise from other guests overnight, though it could have been extra loud because of St. Patrick's Day.

This is unique property, a converted jail with a modern tower attached (where hotel rooms are). The decor has lots of references to the jail history. Very lively vibe. Excellent restaurant (Scampo). Great access to Beacon Hill neighborhood.

Best staycation ever!

Our friends were on the main floor and it was very rowdy after the music stopped. Maybe just a byproduct of the St Pat's weekend but we probably wouldn't stay on that floor again.

Yes! The bed WAS like a cloud! Service was excellent. Room was gorgeous. Really enjoyed having a drink on the catwalk and listening to the music. There is so much to do all in one place which worked out great since it was so frigid outside.

A wonderful experience at the Liberty!

Everyone was very friendly.The hotel was very nice. I have no negative comments to say

I loved your staff! And the History of your Hotel.inwas in awe of the young adults partying in the Lobby.

Not worth your way too high rates.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Room stuffy even with fan on and temp at 67. Sink drain did not close (or open) well. Toilet very slow to flush (if at all). Alarm system went off at midnight. (It certainly works well).

Bartender the best; beds great; very interesting architecture.

The building, location and the hotel in general was really...
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

We coudlnt sleep all night, too much noise from everywhere. Hotel staff was ok, not very friendly and payment taken out of my account but you took too much.

The building, location and the hotel in general was really great . Love the history behind it.

It was on site of mass general hospital which is where we...
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

I paid $40. To upgrade to a room with city views and got a room with a broken outlet, no air circulation and broken fan in the bathroom which added to the air quality in the room.

It was on site of mass general hospital which is where we were headed on our trip, so it was perfect

Partying and drunks in the lobby on weekends is a disadvantage, otherwise good enough

The bathroom sliding door was extremely hard to open, it basically required all my force and the handle from inside hurt a lot when trying to slide open the door. I hated the lobby area at night on the weekend, it was like a party and there were a lot of drunk people that i felt unsafe going into the elevator with one of them. Walking into a hotel where there were bouncers at the door asking for IDs is not my kind of thing. And noone helping with the luggage was a definite disadvantage. Also, the toilet smelled like urine even though it looked clean.

I liked the unique decor in the room. The staff were friendly, and the concierge was super helpful.

Customer relations Not accommodating
    • Superior King Room

Dirty wash cloths left from previous guest. Hanger left draped over light fixture. Cleaner was obviously not up to par. Was told room had a view. No view just a building. When asked to change room they wanted to charge an extra 60 dollars.

The decor was very nice.

It is a tastefully styled hotel in a gorgeous historic...
    • Superior King Room

To be fair: I had stayed there many times before and often enjoyed it. It is certainly not at a 5-star level compared to European or Asian standards, but a decent hotel. This time, service was inattentive, room was dirty. Having forced air at a hotel of that category is also inappropriate - more sophisticated and energy efficient technology should be expected. There is no radiant heat (actually not heat at all) in the bathrooms which’s really freezing cold.

It is a tastefully styled hotel in a gorgeous historic building (prison). Good restaurants

Prison accommodation🤣
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

It is a relatively expensive hotel and we were happy to pay thinking that we would be in the older part i.e. cells converted to hotel rooms. However we were put in the new wing and not given an option of the more quirky and historic part of the hotel.

Loved the hotel and it's history. If I was going again I would specifically request a room in the old part of the hotel i.e. the converted prison. We were a bit disappointed to find our room was in the new wing. Having said that, the room was very comfortable and we were glad to have seen this historic and different hotel.

Comfortable

See above Too expensive for patient going in for surgery

Beautiful but too expensive. Scheduled surgery at mass general the next day and wanted to spend nite prior nearby. Didn’t need luxury. Needed something I could afford. Price too high

We can't wait to return!!!!

The room was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and the staff outstanding!!! We enjoyed the history of the building and its decor. It is right in the heart of the city and we walked everywhere. We enjoyed the evening entertainment; the lobby area is just incredible-pictures do not do it justice.

Love this hotel. Next time will ask for xtra pillows and will never go to scampo again.
    • Superior King Room

Pillows were horrible and not really any blankets. Sort of a thick sheet. Scampi we tried twice in 3 nights. Both times the service was so terrible we didn’t make it further than 1 drink before leaving and going to Clink.

Love the building the decor the options for bars/restaurants and entertainment nightly! Staff is amazing and very accommodating

Great hotel, tainted by a poor valet service
    • Superior King Room

We had a drink in the guest only area which was nice, but a bit annoying as no service up there so a bit back and forth in the lift. Disappointed to not be able to get a coffee or tea in the room or coffee station. The station was only until like 9hrs30 or something- a bit useless and via rooms service was c$10! On our whole 3 week trip this was the only place we couldn't get a hot drink and it was freezing so would have been nice! Valet was the main thing. Details below. We had a less than ideal experience with the valet service, especially when we consider how much we paid for the hotel and then the valet on top of this. On arrival it was chaotic and we had to wait 15-20 mins to be helped. We dealt with our own luggage as it was so busy but couldn't manage one of our bags so were advised it would be brought up. At check in we confirmed this. We had to chased this three times and finally on our way to dinner. It took 2.5 hours to get the bag - in the end a very helpful man on reception sorted it all. This was frustrating as we didn't relax in the room in the same way as knew a knock was due. This made a bath less enjoyable etc. When we went out one of the valets barged passed us. On check out again, bad experience with car. Knew we'd have to wait at least 10 mins which was fine, but the car was parked up and left unlocked without anyone telling us. We loaded up and had to then wait to find someone to get our key. This all just tainted our experience.

Sparking wine at check in was nice and took the edge off bad valet experience! Room was nice, bathroom lovely with great bath - would have been good to have more toiletries there as they were fixed in the shower. We had a lovely cocktail and fantastic dinner at the hotel. Location good for the city and airport. Hotel design was great and we loved the Christmas decorations (upside down trees!)

Great stay at luxurious and unique hotel
    • Superior King Room

Room was next to storage closet for cleaning people- noisy in morning. No options inbetween mini fridge and restaurant for sodas or snacks.

Ambience, glass of champagane at check in, free water in room

Wonderfully unique hotel, great location, excellenf staff
    • Superior King Room

VERY expensive dining. We were sick and couldn't leave the room so room service was the only option. For two simple plates, we spent an inordinate amount of money.

Staff was incredible. Let us check in extremely early in the morning so we didn't have to wait around all day! Everyone was super friendly and helpful, no matter the request.

Amazing atmosphere, easy access to the T, and totally unique decor.
    • Superior King Room

No coffee in room. Not a big deal though -- we just went to the cafe and were seated immediately. I would have liked a few more hooks in the room (only one hook for bathrobes & towels in the bathroom).

The ambiance here cannot be beat. We asked for and were given one of the old jail rooms that happened to be one of their largest, just steps from the catwalk. I was initially worried about the noise from the bar but the brick walls did fine to keep it out. That said, we spent most of our time at the catwalk or at the bar as it's just too cool a place not to be.

Hotel is good but my second night was horrible.
    • Superior King Room

Our first night was really good but the second one was horrible. The wall is too thin that I can hear the conversation from next room. The people from next room were drunk, kept yelling, crying, still vomitting at 2am. I think there were still some rooms available that the staff should have saved the joint room to the last. The hotel has bar that seems to be famous. Think before you book if you can stand drunk people hit on you and disturbed your sleep all night.

Other than the noises that woke us up the hotel was very nice and we would recommend it .

We were on the side of the building with the dumpsters for the hotel down below. The staff was throwing bottles in the dumpster at 11:30 pm and woke us. Also at 12:30 am the truck that empties the dumpster came and woke us again. Then shortly after that some was throwing metal pipes either in the dumpster or on the ground.

Sitting up in the catwalk above the lobby we enjoyed a pizza,fries and drinks.

Fun historic property; well run but a few items need attention
    • Superior King Room

Overall very clean but some details like cleaning of shower need attention.The latch on guest room doors causes them to slam shut loudly, making it impossible to sleep in.

Bed was great; Front desk staff very helpful. Size of room was great. Scampo was really good.

Great location right off Charles Street, fun atmosphere.

Small complaints. Chipped soap dish in the bathroom, broken soap dispenser. Unacceptable for a hotel of this caliber.

The Liberty Hotel is a former prison, cleverly converted to a luxury hotel. Nice restaurants and good fitness facility, superb interior atrium and overall modern and fun atmosphere.

A great getaway combining personal and fun activities. Charles Street is close and full of cute shop

The lobby was a little crazy busy at night. It is a hoppin place!

My husband and I were there for treatment at MGH. Extremely convenient and we were able to enjoy some great restaurants in the hotel and in the Boston area. Also, there was a little snaffu in a service that my husband had booked and the concierge did a wonderful job making everything right.

They overcharge for 24hrs of parking.
    • Superior King Room

They overcharge for 24hrs of parking. I paid 87 dollars for overnight parking and my meeting ran over their 4pm for the overnight stay + 27 for getting stuck in traffic getting back to the hotel

Would not go back

Staff are simply badly behaved. When I arrived I remembered this from a year ago and forgot not to go back. I arrived at 16:00 room not ready, which is OK but there answer of go and sit at the bar and wait was challenging when they charged me US$500 for the night. My bags which they took from the taxi disappeared for another hour once my room was ready.

The concept of the place is good; a converted prison. Location is good.

We would definitely stay there on our next visit to Boston. Will recommend to our friends/family
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Not much space on the bathroom counters.

Clean, comfortable rooms. Staff was very responsive and helpful. Felt well taken care of during our stay with the waters in our room and coffee service on our way out in the morning. Great hotel atmosphere!

A very nice stay at an overrated hotel.

Ultimately, the design of the hotel is not that "luxurious" and feels sort of cheap. Thin bed linens. Also, here is no coffee or espresso maker in the room. The breakfast at Clink was an abomination. It was worse than airplane breakfast and outlandishly expensive.

Wonderful large bathrooms with Molton Brown toiletries. The rooms are very comfortable, and include a cocktail shaker. Welcome champagne is a small touch that goes a long way.

Excellent but not 5 star
    • Grand Deluxe Corner Room with Two Double Beds

Front staff were not helpful, papers were not delivered to room, no information about amenities

Room size, restaurant, dog friendly, distance from airport concierge

It was just alright.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

For a luxury hotel, the room could have been cleaner-I found a bobby pin on the floor (not mine) and the toilet could have been more thoroughly cleaned when we arrived. The lighting was very dark and the window faced another building window, so it was not all private. We could hear our neighbors and the hall to our room smelled like marijuana. The valet was overpriced. The hotel only offered coffee and a couple varieties of tea in the morning.

The bed was very comfortable and the hotel had a very cool vibe.

The hotel staff were welcoming and helpful and the theme and...
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

Two of the bartenders at Alibi were not friendly at all. I don't see it as a reflection on the hotel itself, but it did reduce they welcoming experience we had overall.

The hotel staff were welcoming and helpful and the theme and style of the hotel were exactly what we were looking for.

Wonderful hotel setting and entrance atrium.

Coffee facilities in room would be good. I think a Nespresso machine or similar is standard in most hotels these days. Breakfast buffet on the landing was a nice setting, but choice was fairly limited. For the price, hot food should have been a la carte rather than buffet.

Wonderful hotel setting and entrance atrium. Loved that there was a feather free floor (that is really going the extra mile for allergy sufferers)! Car hire arranged through the concierge, with the car delivered to the hotel, was fantastic service.

Very poor start at an expensive hotel.. it's a shame their booking let down this award winning hotel
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Could not work out whether it was the Hotel at fault or booking .com .. but they could not find my booking when I arrived. When you pay virtually s1000 a night including breakfast , you don't assume to be greeted with with " we are booked up and there is no record of you . " ... either Liberty's system is poor or Booking .com .. but I do not expect to be embarrassed on check in and then wait more than 2 hours for a room.

Excellent decor and fantastic conversion of an old prison .

Love this hotel, location, bars and restaurants.

Usual price per night

Love this hotel, location, bars and restaurants. Walking distance to many places. Great rate through Booking.com. Usually too expensive as I go every other week for cancer treatment, could not afford full price.

Perfect in every way. Can't wait to go back. Will recommend to everyone I know!

Everything! I arrived three hours before check-in, soaking wet due to the inclement weather and they found me a room straight away. At Scampo, I was too tired too choose....so the waiter did it for me. Excellent choices, excellent food.

A great hotel with a lively, vibrant atmosphere.
    • Grand Deluxe City View King Room

The convention tax and resort fee adds a lot to the price per night!

This hotel definitely has the wow factor. Very cool and trendy. The room was amazing, huge bathroom, comfy bed. The bar staff are really friendly and happy to make you a cocktail to your particular tastes. Food is good, if a little pricey.

Would return again, for a competitive price.

Fairly certain that at least some rooms are missing sound proofing between walls in bathroom... Could hear every word/noise from early rising neighbors...

Young crowd, so keep that in mind when booking. Added bonus - Bed was very comfortable!

Great for a girls weekend getaway!
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Parking was expensive and the overnight parking charge ($55) was not advertised at either Booking.com nor the hotels own website. If it is there, it should be more prominent. Also, the exposed air filter was very dirty. Other than those two issues, the hotel was wonderful.

Hotel personnel were very friendly and helpful. Location is great and right off the highway. The rooms were creatively decorated, the beds were comfortable, and we will definitely be staying again.

Over priced, quality is not what's expected from a true luxury hotel, rather cold ambience.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Disappointed at this hotel. Staff was standoffish and seemed as though they couldn't be bothered. Room service was minimal, and house keeping will loudly bang on your door if you forget to leave the privacy tag out. the lobby transforms into a dancing floor on the evenings over the weekend, with Dj and random people walking in for dancing and drinking. We paid extra for an upgraded room that turned out to be a standard room with nothing "extra" including no view, our room was facing a nearby medical facility. The consierge was errogant, and we are glad that we did not listen to his advice to not go out of town, it was the best part of our trip. The room felt crowded with the bar stand leaving little space to reach the window or the bed. No coffee machine either (I should have spotted that when I looked up the amenities but didn't think that a luxury hotel will come non equipped this way). They do have a coffee station in the am but the quality is poor, especially for a hotel of this presumed caliber. It took long time to get the car from the parking by the valet. I have stayed at top tier luxury hotels but this hotel Wasx all together disappointing. Won't recommend and won't come back again.

The architecture was pretty. A former prison turned into a hotel. Scampo is a great option for dining in (the only great option at The liberty) though it's pricy.

Don't let the prison theme turn you away!
    • Superior King Room

Top notch service, extremely comfortable bed and the luxury hair care products did not go unnoticed. Also, I loved the character and well thought out decor in the hotel and guest rooms. Some "themed" hotels can be corny, but The Liberty absolutely nailed it here. Definitely recommend!

Highly disappointed in hotel.
    • Deluxe Room with Two Queen Beds

Out of the 5 days there the TV didn't work for 4 of these days. No way to watch tv or a movie. No radio or music either. And yes we called them several times about it. We had to call a few times to get them to make up beds and leave fresh towels. Also found 3 long hairs in the sink which certainly not ours. Just not what we expected from a 5 star hotel.

It was a nice hotel but disappointed.

Loved it! It's my new 'go to' in Boston
    • Superior King Room

Our room, just off the main atrium, had a bar station right outside serving the atrium balcony seating. It was pretty noisy and noise also carried from the main atrium at night.

Great concept (the hotel was once a prison!). Loved the vibe there on a Friday night. Drinks and dinner in Scampo were excellent. Hotel restaurants were busy which makes for a better buzz about the place. Excellent location - T stop right outside and Charles Street has a great neighbourhood feel.

The atmosphere is great.
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

The atmosphere is great. Coffee station in the morning was well stocked with assorted teas and creamers. Beds were extremely comfortable. Concierge was knowledgeable and helpful. Its great that pets can stay here. I would definitely stay here again.

Great atmosphere, wonderful design, and just a great place...
    • Superior King Room

Great atmosphere, wonderful design, and just a great place to spend weekend. Both my husband and I enjoyed the hotel very much. The bed was super comfortable, the bathroom was great, and the staff let us in the room at 11 a.m. with no charge for early check in.

Weekend Boston getaway.

Beautiful and unique hotel! All our expectations were met and would recommended to friends. The staff is very friendly and helpful, overall service fantastic!

I felt the hotel could have been a little more accommodating...
    • Superior King Room

I felt the hotel could have been a little more accommodating with late check -outs especially after staying for so many days and requesting for a 3pm check out for an 1100pm flight

Pretty but I would not recommend for a 3-night stay.
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel was expensive. It was expensive and my view was of another hotel. No amenities re: pool or spa. We stayed 3 days and they never refreshed our room items: aka the shower cap. I was very surprised.

The hotel is gorgeous; a beautiful stone building with so many eye-appealing details. I love that there is a historic background and that there are many restaurants in the hotel. Very easy. Room was very pretty.

Interesting, fun hotel (used to be a jail) with very nice...

View of brick wall out of room window.

Interesting, fun hotel (used to be a jail) with very nice but not spectacular rooms. Breakfast in the "Clink" was very good.

Relaxation for the mind
    • Superior Room with Two Queen Beds

The club outside had no room for seating small Size did not offer much for the price

Pillows were great bed awesome room was nice quiet relaxing