Reviews of Hotel Lucerne 4 stars

201 West 79th Street, Upper West Side, New York, NY 10024, USA

#145 of 415 hotels in New York

Based on 2013 hotel reviews

• Superior Queen Room

Great hotel. Wonderful location on the upper west side. Warm, welcoming service. Lovely room, Excellent value. I stay in the City about once a month for a few days. I always hope that the Lucerne is available at a reasonable price on Booking.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

view with clean windows, bathrooom smallish but very adequate, who spends their time in the bathroom when in New York???

location, great subway station one block away, traditional ambiance (not all glass and metal with gigantic wasted space reception areas), staff very accommodating, inhouse restaurant quite good (Nice Matin)

• Superior Queen Room

A fridge is a must given the price of the room. The bed could be more comfortable. A bottle of water could (or maybe should) be offered to us upon our arrival given the fact we were paying more than 200$ per day and the temperature was over 32 degrees Celsius.

The location was perfect and the room was clean.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I have stayed there multiple times over 20 years. They have some rear rooms which are drab and sad and I stopped staying there because of this and ventilation issues. This time my room was excellent, the room temperature perfect, the sheets soft and beds comfortable. I need to be on the UWS when in NYC and this will again become my "go to" hotel. Upset that there is "no" loyalty though.

• Superior Queen Room

Missed not having a coffee pot in the room. Noticed that we could have ordered one - but saw that too late in our one night stay.

Very accommodating staff. Location on Upper West Side is outstanding for access to Central Park, Museum of Natural History, MOMA, Guggenheim, Cooper Hewitt, lots of restaurants, etc. Definitely prefer this area to excessively busy Theatre District/Time Square and lower Manhattan.

• Superior Queen Room

size of the room and the whole hotel was a bit cramped.

I liked the location, however, the room was a bit smaller than expected and the hotel felt a bit cramped. I still think its a good location to stay in and I would recommend it to a friend.

• Superior Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

Charming little hotel in the most central Paris location. The room was small, but fine - we knew what to expect. The bathroom was updated and efficient, with a good shower and plenty of space to store our toiletries. The staff at this hotel is very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good, and reasonably priced. You can't beat the location - so easy to walk to most attractions, metro stops, and plenty of great restaurants/cafes close by.

• Superior Queen Room

Desk staff were sometimes dismissive and more interested in their chatting than assisting other guests (not myself), but overall helpful.

Rooms were clean, comfortable & well-maintained. Typical older boutique-style hotel with small-ish rooms, but still comfortable. The concierge was very helpful and went out of her way to assist. The hotel is just a block from the subway, and a short walk to Central Park, and a relatively easy walk to many parts of the city.

• Superior Queen Room

My room swipe frequently didn’t work and I had to be issued with a new one each time.

Lovely hotel with comfortable rooms and absolutely the best staff. The entrance foyer is gorgeous, very stylish. There’s a market on Sunday mornings just down the road that sells handmade items including stylish bags, great food and coffee, antiques.

• Superior Queen Room

Bathroom ( if I’m being fussy ) was a bit dated however still had a great running shower and bath etc

Fantastic location 2 blocks from Central Park , subway at end of block lots of restaurants and bars a short easy walk , great friendly helpful staff especially Elizabeth , clean room ,

• Superior King Room

The room could have been a little more spacious, but was typical of hotels in big cities. Otherwise it was a very pleasant place to come back to after a long day of tourism. Our window overlooked a group of roofs where work was going on, which did not make for a very nice view. But we had asked for a quiet room and it was!

The hotel is very well located, close to main subway lines, a bus which takes you across central parks to museum row on the 5th Ave. We love the area full of shops and good restaurants. The hotel itself and our room were very comfortable. The room itself is not very spacious but there was a walking closet, which gave us extra space. Plenty of drawers if you are staying a few days. It has a very good restaurant (Nice-matin).

• Superior Queen Room

When I checked in, a flood of people arrived and one lone person had to work the phones and check in guests. Jamie handled the stress with poise and confidence where others would have crumbled, I know I would have!

Knew I would feel comfortable there when I saw the repro. Martin Heade painting on the wall. Lovely, helpful staff went above and beyond. Also, a great asset to have Nice Matin downstairs: bustling yet calming atmosphere with yummy French bistro fare. Glad I stayed here, my old stomping grounds when I lived on the upper West side.

• Superior Queen Room

Lovely clean room.....1/2 block from subway and bus... Nice Matin restaurant excellent. .. hotel gives 15% discount for breakfast. Staff all friendly and helpfull. ..will definitely stay again..

• Superior Queen Room

Room had some problems: AC/heating unit loud & somewhat musty/dusty - it should be more quiet & filter or clean the air better; the desk chair very uncomfortable & needs replacement; no full-length mirror; no safe.

Overall, very good. All the staff were polite & helpful. The bed was quite comfortable. The products were good. Location great.

• Superior Queen Room

I have just checked my credit card statement to find that a further £25 was deducted from my card after I left. There was no reason for this and certainly no discussion when I checked out. Disappointing and the sort of thing that will stop me recommending it to my friends.

Superb location

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Rooms were smaller than we had expected. Was not aware we could request a fridge. The lip on the entrance to bathroom is quite dangerous almost tripped on first day

Liz(concierge) was very helpful on planning our days great asset to your hotel your staff very helpful and friendly your room staff met our every need with a polite smile

• Superior Queen Room

No in room coffee. Very late getting housekeeping daily

complimentary wine at 4 pm daily in the lobby. Upper West Side much quieter and less congested than mid town Manhattan

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Nice comfortable hotel. Friendly staff. Located excellent for those who want to be in a neighborhood and not in mid or downtown. 2 minutes from the subway station, 5 minutes from central park and lots of good and nice restaurants and pubs around.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Just my luck that I got holed up in a room with absolutely no view on the 4th floor. They said I had a quiet room request, I didn't know it would get translated into a room with no views at all. Also, no refrigerator or microwave, and storage space pretty limited. I would have appreciated an online bill, helps with company reimbursements, but not a major issue.

Charming hotel in a nice part of town. Great stay, helpful staff, complimentary newspapers in the morning, Aveda bath products.

• Superior Queen Room

Lovely historic building in a great location, very clean, quiet and charming room, (and spacious by NY standards), comfortable bed, fast and reliable wifi, helpful and accommodating staff.

• Superior Queen Room

There was a slight musty smell in the room, maybe could have had air fresheners in there along with 1 or 2 more waste baskets (There was only 1 in the bathroom and none in the room). There should be an ADA entry for people with handicap that can enter without climbing the stairs at the entry.

It was a nice place to stay, although there was no ADA ramp or entry at the entrance of the hotel. We had 2 handicapped people that had wheelchair and a walker that had to climb the stairs which was wet from the rain. The staffing was nice and the concierge person was cordial and offered her services, although we just stayed over night. The room was a little small and had a slight musty odor. But was clean and comfortable. There was alot of small stores and eating places near by and within walking distance. This property get an C rating or 3 star from us

• Superior Queen Room

More room in the bathroom. A bit more space in the room itself, especially if one is staying for an extended stay. More reliable housekeeping.

The hotel is very nice and clean but our room was very small and the bathroom inadequate for anything more than one person (even that was difficult). The bed was comfortable but the housekeeper kept forgetting to give us plastic cups so we needed to call the front desk each time. The adjacent restaurant was excellent. Staff very friendly but not really going out of their way. Would I return? Not before thoroughly checking out othe options first. Location is excellent.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Need more handicap capable rooms; complimentary water

The Bell staff are wonderfully attentive to people with wheelchairs/elderly. Their complimentary wine at 4 pm was great!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was quite dark as the window overlooked buildings very close.

Comfy beds spotlessly clean good toiletries. the location of the hotel is superb. Very close to subway and with easy walking distance of Central Park, good shops and restaurants. A quiet locaation too.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

I felt it was pricey for the size of the rooms. Also, the double rooms are with double beds, not queen. In fairness, I don't think a queen would easily fit. I felt the room was small. Still, a very nice hotel and we would stay again.

The hotel is very well kept. The staff was perfectly fine. It was extremely clean and had been nicely redone to complement the vintage hotel. While the closet was very small, they had a nice dresser and bedside table with adequate, even generous, storage. The windows open which is always a plus.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hotel was renovated art deco style, expected wood panelled lift to break at any moment. There was no bar but a cafe next door which was a bit pricey.

rooms and beds were very nice, decent size for new york. For us location was perfect, real new york with bagel places for breakfast and lots of bars and restaurants nearby. A mile and a half walk to times square, We pre booked hop on hop off bus which was great as we were there for 3 nights.

• Superior Queen Room

Nothing to complain about.

I loved my king room, really spacious for New York standard, nicely appointed, nice views and super clean. I love this residential neighborhood, with lots of restaurants and cafes and just minutes walk to Central park.

• Superior Queen Room

I will definitely stay there again. It is an older property, very well maintained. You must request a coffee maker in your room. I had to reserve on the spur of the moment and for 2 nights, the rate was reasonable. The third night rate was very high, due to limited availability. Booking.com consolidates the rates so I wasn't aware of that 3rd night rate until I checked into the hotel.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

This place is amazing. Beautiful, quiet, comfortable, perfectly located. I wouldn't stay anyplace else in the Upper West Side now that I have tried the Lucerne.

• Superior Queen Room

The staff is Wonderful! The room was spotless, and the sheets and bed were perfectly clean, and so comfortable! Train station is nearby and taxis are easily accessible. The staff is the best part of this hotel, they are truly awesome!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room faced the street and was noisy. I found that leaving the fan on during the night was helpful.

Good location, room and bath had plenty of space. Efficient staff.

• Superior Queen Room

Toilet are too low and the water level too high therefore the hand gets wet as well as other anatomic parts, especially a male.

Good choice of breakfast

• Superior Queen Room

Old hotel and it shows; the shower is very hard for an elderly person (me) to use. Hard to regulate room temperature, chintzy toiletries. No list of TV channels!

Helpful staff, great location (for my purposes), comfortable bed. Nice breakfast and free NY Times!

• Superior Queen Room

UWS location can be problematic for taxi travel times, given street congestion during busy times. Can't just "walk out the door" to theatres, etc. like in midtown. But close to Lincoln Center (NY Phil, Met) and a good neighborhood.

Conveniently located on UWS (1 block to subway). "Old timey" feel, but it works. Friendly, helpful staff & doorman.

• Superior Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

kitchenette had no sink but the fridge was adequate -- good size room but needed more closet space

Nice Matin is the restaurant and you get discount coupons for breakfast which is very nice -- it was very clean and great temperature controls -- good bed and fairly spacious-- really good amount of outlets--nice to have 2 bathrobes !!

• Superior Queen Room

Was disappointed to have to be moved from our original room on the top floor which had great views, and was much bigger, to a smaller one on the floor below because the TV wouldn't work (rather than just sending an expert to reboot the IPTV system) Hotel would have looked even better were the ground floor not hidden by scaffolding.

Stunning looking hotel, right beside a subway station. Great rooms and comfortable clean beds. Nice bathroom with toiletries and towels. Hotel staff were always polite and willing to help.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dreary colors in room. Very old fashioned feeling.

the room was smaller than I would have liked, but clean. Bathroom was quite small. Loved the location. Loved the restaurant and room service from it.

• Superior Queen Room

The furnishings are a little dated - my 14 year old called it "grandma decor" - but everything is clean and it goes with the historic feel of the place.

Excellent location close to the park. Charming old hotel with a friendly staff. Breakfast at Nice Matin was great. A perfect home base to explore NYC.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Keurig coffee maker is a little slow.

Staff were friendly and helpful. Beds super comfy. Location was perfect with easy access to 79th Street subway station and Central Park.

• Superior Queen Room

Old fashioned heaters are loud and the windows were fairly drafty, so finding a comfy temperature was a bit hard.

Fantastic location on the upper west side, clean and comfortable rooms, nice amenities.

• Superior Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

An older hotel on the upper west side. Perfectly situated to see Central Park, The Met, Natural History, etc. Attentive doormen. Excellent housekeeping. Very quiet. Good rate for NYC. I would stay there again.

• Superior King Room

The same staff has been here for ages. They are professional, courteous, friendly. Beds are comfortable. Restaurant has great food for breakfast and dinner. Love the neighborhood for restaurant, easy transportation, friendly feeling.

• Superior Queen Room

The fire alarm went off in error - but went on and on even after they said it was false alarm. They made announcements but really were not apologetic about the inconvenience ( statarted at 2 AM). Front desk was efficient, cordial but not really friendly at check out.

The bed was comfortable, staff polite - privacy was respected and the partnered restaurant was A1.

• Superior Queen Room

The fire alarm went off at 2:00 AM one night. The staff made an announcement to say it was a false alarm but it went on far too long.

Everything was excellent. The location was great, the room was a decent size for NYC, and it was very nicely decorated.

• Superior Queen Room

There was a woman and I fortunately I don't know her name at the front desk, although I believe she was the supervisor. She was rude on the phone, and difficult. I also saw her being rude to another guest. On the other hand, the doormen were wonderful!

• Superior Queen Room

Room key didn't work. Shower did not drain properly. Hot water took 3-5 minutes to come on. Beds felt "old". Decor was 1980s dated. Hallway noise penetrated directly to room.

Great location. Acceptable hotel.

• Superior Queen Room

Bedding too heavy and pillows flimsy and rather old. Decor and bathroom rather dated.

Staff excellent, food good. Enjoyed afternoon complimentary wine.

• Superior Queen Room

A welcome tea or coffee provision.

While "olde worlde" ambience wouldn't suit all, we were charmed. The staff were friendly and efficient and the room was well appointed and supremely comfortable. The arrangement with the conjoined restaurant (Nice Matin, excellent!,) using discount vouchers, worked well and the surrounding area and greater access was stunning. Well Done!

• Superior Queen Room

The room was a nice size and I liked the bathroom products...Aveda staff was friendly & helpful. Restaurant was attached to the hotel where they offered a discount if you had breakfast at their location. The room also provided an umbrella that came in very handy as it rained during my stay. Also Loved that a drugstore was right on the corner for convince. Spa services were available and a workout room.

• Superior Queen Room

Would have liked a Keurig or similar coffee pot in room and small fridge would have been great. Staff said I could request the fridge and I didn’t ask about coffee pot. Bathroom was nice but shower could be stronger.

Room clean, bed and pillows very comfortable. Very nice decor, safe in closet for valuables. Great value and location. Nice boutique stores and restaurants near by. Extremely courteous door man and staff at entrance and behind counter.

opps read above !!

Nice location in West end Bed just OK rather soft. NO maker coffee in the room !! Very small room, yes it is NYC !! Water pressure hit and miss in the shower

• Superior Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The staff is helpful. The location is great. The lobby is a good place to meet people and the wine hour was nice! We also enjoyed the 15% off at Nice Matin. Great restaurant!

Nothing special

Good value for Money. Nice large and comfortable rooms. Good breakfast restaurant linked to the hotel. Probably the best experience in New York I have had considered the price paid.

• Superior King Room

The shower!!! I understand there has been a renovation a few years ago - the showers should have been modernised to up-to-date standards! Also, the elevators give a bumpy ride. The view from my window (6th floor) was pretty awful. The staff doesn't seem to apply an even standard to customer service; some staff members extremely good and some others less so.

I appreciated the cleanliness, the location and the fact that it is a small, cozy hotel close to the Lincoln centre. Some of the staff members were extremely kind and helpful.

• Superior Queen Room

By modern standards, room was quite tiny. (But we were there to wander about the city, so who cares?) Jammed bathroom window cost us some desired ventilation.

Quiet room. Staff seemed genuine in the wish to be helpful. Hotel restaurant, Nice Matin, quite charming. Price simply cannot be beat.

• Superior Queen Room

Loyalty is not appreciated, unfortunately. Even Though we told the reception desk that we have been coming for 18 years now, they're not impressed.

The rooms and location of the Lucern are great. This is year 18 that we have visited this Hotel.

• Superior Queen Room

The breakfast could have been better. The window was a bit too small for our room too.

The concierge, bell men were great! The room was great too - a bit too dark though.

• Superior Queen Room

The bathroom sink didn't drain properly. Could use more pilllows on the bed.

Comfortable, clean, great location for what I wanted to do. Staff was friendly but didn't interact with them much because of the short stay

See above

Deplorable conditions. The first room they gave me they told me was handicap but that the only difference between it and regular rooms was they did not have a tub just the shower. This was a lie. There was no proper shower head in the shower and the water from the shower went all over the bathroom floor soaking everything because it was like the whole room was the shower. In addition there was a large banging continual banging sound in the room I asked him for five times to rectify the situation and they told me repeatedly I had to change ro deplorable conditions. The first room they gave me they told me was handicap but that the only difference between it and regular rooms was they did not have a tub just the shower. This was a lie. There was no proper shower head in the shower and the water from the shower went all over the bathroom floor soaking everything because it was like the whole room was the shower. In addition there was a large banging continual banging sound in the room I asked him for five times to rectify the situation. Apparently it turned out the problem was from poor pipes and they could not fix it. Clearly the room was not habitable because they had to know about this problem. So I had completely unpack and was getting ready for an evening event which is the only reason I was there and I had to repack and transfer to another room. That room the shower did not work and it was also filthy. Nothing has been rehabbing a hotel for over 100 years or so it locks. The carpets are filthy the bed coverings are disgusting and my shower had hair in it

• Superior Queen Room

The food situation wasn't great - the room service and the cafe were mediocre quality but very expensive. Also a coffee maker in the room would have been nice. There was also some plumbing or air conditioning noises or something at night that were annoying, but again, it's an old building in New York.

The staff was courteous and helpful, the room was reasonably comfortable and a good size (given that it's New York!), check in and out was easy, and wifi was great. The location was fantastic - super easy to get to transportation and right in the middle of lots of amenities.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was freezing! No way to add heat! Bedroom also cold ( both had poor windows!) and heating system very noisy and felt as though it could overheat and potentially be dangerous good value for

Very comfy beds and lovely fluffy towels!the

• Superior Queen Room

Stand up shower was a little strange with no boundary so shower water traveled to the rest of the bathroom due to poor drainage. Also there was no soap dish in the shower.

Great location one block from the subway station.

• Superior King Room

The water pressure in the shower was terrible. There are no refrigerators in the rooms and ice is only available on one floor. The WiFi is so slow and terrible; it kept cutting out in the middle of use.

The location was excellent and the room was clean and nicely decorated.

• Superior Queen Room

Small room with NO view. A little expensive for what we got.

Hotel and staff were warm and inviting. Moved our check-in time ~2 hours earlier for us. Great bathroom.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Scaffolding out front of the hotel. But there is a lot of scaffolding in front of buildings in NY at present. I guess it’s good that refurbishment is going on.

The staff were very helpful & the Concierge got us great tickets for a broadway show. The room was tastefully decorated. The beds were very comfortable. The room had a microwave, small fridge and had plates etc and cutlery. The Nicemartin restaurant served very good food. The wine list was pricey, but the moderate priced wines were very good. The hotel is well located to Central Park, brilliant museums, restaurants, shopping, subway (Times Square only 5 stops away). When we left the Broadway show, we took the subway and were back at the Lucerne within 20 minutes. Last time we were in NY we stayed across from Penn Station. W79th Street, is a much, much nicer neighbourhood. Well worth the little extra for much superior accommodation & neighbourhood.

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Liz and Michael at the concierge desk were both excellent---pleasant, patient, helpful, and knowledgeable Young Serbian bartender at the Nice Matin was also very pleasant and professional

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extremely loud heating in the bedroom, and no intermediate space in the entrance of the building which would have stopped the cold air coming in = freezing entrance hall.

Comfortable bedroom and bed, lot's of hot water pressure, nice toiletries, quiet room.

• Superior Queen Room

Nothing except when they charge your credit card they add 50.00 which is "pending" but removed before it is charged

The location Comfortable bed All the extras nice towels, shoe mit, great toiletries Great restaurant next door with coupon for 15% off breakfast

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Shower in first room wasn't contained so the water flowed into the middle of the bathroom and pooled. Not a great design. Second room we stayed in a couple of days later had a better shower but a very small barhroom.

Great safe location on upper Westside Walking distance to Central Park and museums.

• Superior Queen Room

I've just spent 10 days at the Lucerne and I had a very good time. Nice and clean room and very nice staff. Price performance very good. I had a problem with my return flight to Italy 'cause it was cancelled but Justin and Kyra at the reception helped me with both airline company (to find another flight) and to make me stay in my room for two days more. Thank you again. I'll be back soon.

• Superior Queen Room

Not impressed with restaurant service, slow, staff chatting rather than attending to customer. Not giving small change (silver) when paying cash. Why then leave a tip?

Anonymity!

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

No room service the second day No clean towels as we did not reliese we would not have more coffee and dry towels for showers the heater was so load we had to turn it off so the towels did not dry. Would not stay again

We stayed 2 nights and the second day they did not service our room we needed the clean towels the requested more coffee pods and 1 hour later NO coffee pods we had to leave to catch a plane, would I stay again NO thanks front desk staff NOT friendly

• Superior Double Room with Two Double Beds

Absolutely nothing needs improvement!

Great location. Quieter and calmer than the frantic pace of mid town. Close to Central Park. A chance to see another side to the city. Hotel facilities and staff were fantastic.

• Superior Queen Suite with Two Queen Beds

No restaurant - arrangement with cafe next door, but internal door only open during serving of breakfast. Should have had all day access for hotel. No proper lounge area, only by front door which was cold. No mirror over desk/dressing table in bedroom.

Hotel was ok but we chose the wrong location - it was too far away from many of the things we wanted to visit e.g. Times Square; shops; many of the museums (although a couple were nearby); dock etc.

• Superior Queen Room

The hot water was a little slow, but I don't really consider that a flaw. There's no microwave or refrigerator in the room, which was somewhat inconvenient, as we sometimes did bring food back to our room. Microwave and refrigerator would be a great plus.

The location is great. Walking distance to many tourists sites. The room was comfortable, not big, but adequate. I used business center to print out boarding pass for the return trip, so that was convenient. Wifi was adequate as well. All in all no complain.

Browse Hotel Lucerne traveller photo gallery