Reviews of The MAve NYC 3 stars

5.6

5.9

• Reviewed: 25 October 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

The room was a little on the small side, but as I was by myself, it was perfect

The bed was comfy and the bathroom was really nice and clean. Also, I was on a lower floor and I barely heard any city noises from the window during the night.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

Tiny rooms, smell plug ins are trying to cover up bad smell, window AC unit very loud, window faces adjacent building resulting in no sunlight in the room.

Good location.

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Standard Room

Room was very small and the air conditioning was very loud. On arrival there were stains on the sheets and they could not provide new ones until the morning as we arrived late in the evening. Breakfast is very minimal.

Location is good.

• Standard Room

The grab-and-go breakfast consisted of a prepackaged croissant and fruit. One day the bananas were rotten and another day there was no fruit. Front desk staff wasn't well informed to answer guest questions. Front desk staff wasn't well trained on professional conduct and personal conversations while guests were present. Housekeeping was an extra fee. Very few places to hang wet towels, washcloths or bath mat. Shower only had 1/2 door so floor was often soaked.

Bottled water was complimentary. Room was pleasant.

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Standard Room

We looked at the floor plan and realised we had the smallest room in the hotel, really cramped with suitcases, had to move them every time we wanted to get in to bathroom. Shower room fan didn't work so triggered the fire alarm if we left the door open after a shower.

Staff friendly enough, good location.

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

They didn't store luggage when we checked out latest by 11am and instead gave us a list of storage places which we would have had to organise and pay for. Which considering what we were paying for the hotel was pretty ridiculous.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Just small things like some mildew built around the shower door edges. Also, I wish the breakfast included hard-boiled eggs & orange juice. Only coffee, muffins & small croissants was offered. (excellent coffee btw)

The front desk personnel were very helpful. Location was perfect & clean. The complimentary cheese & wine in the evening was very nice touch plus fruits were available. Plus the coffee shop adjacent to hotel is a bonus. And a complimentary water bottle when you arrive was a perfect welcome gift.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Standard Room

The space is extremely small. It's essentially okay renovated hostel. The cleanliness was not great. Mold was in the shower and the first room I was given has a window unit AC that blows out a mildewy smell. And dresser needed o be wiped down. It's is the worst but it is damn sure Low on the list. Don't be fooled by the lobby and stuff. It's basically a hostel/. Motel 6 near Midtown and the water wasnt hot Horrible beds and better not roll but don't worry you will run snack into the wall

the location and the first desk clerk during the day was pretty about it

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• Standard Room

This hotel charges $65 for daily cleaning fees giving excuse as "Green Approach". What their intention is that they tried to get more customers by reducing the price without offering daily cleaning service. Which kind of hotel doesn't offer daily cleaning service including refilling shampoo, conditioner, body wash, toilet paper and so on. The staffs wouldn't come to the room when asked to provide toilet paper or similar. This is not the way to do hotel service! I was totally annoyed of their intention in participating booking.com promotions and trying to take advantage of this opportunity. Totally unethical!

Nothing to like about except the great location of its facility.

• Reviewed: 15 August 2016

I called to add one additional night. They told me it was okay at the price for the other 6 nights. But when I arrived, they indicated that they had unilaterally cancelled the extra night but that they would accommodate me in a different room at a higher price and I would have to move rooms the second day. Also, they do not change linens unless asked.

Great location. Efficient staff. We stayed for a week and enjoyed the time there.

• Reviewed: 13 August 2016

• Standard Room

Room was small. No desk to work on which made it uncomfortable to work. No wall outlet close enough to bed. A/C did not produce cold enough air.

Convenient, clean, comfortable. Complimentary wine and cheese at check in. Staff friend and resourceful. Rooms were small but clean. Bathroom is modern and clean. Complementary coffee and muffins each morning.

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

• Standard Room

Room is so small. No reception area. It says rate including breakfast and it was not real one. Just tea, coffee and muffin. No place to store luggage in the reception.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

There was nothing I did like.

No free breakfast - unless you count an empty coffee machine with no coffee or cups for said coffee and packaged old muffins as breakfast. Staff was rude and unhelpful. The entire place is falsely advertised.

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel advertises that their rooms can accommodate 4 adults but this just isn't true. We were VERY upset about the room that we booked for almost two weeks. They listened to our concerns and after we filed a complaint with Booking.com we were able to come to an agreement. Yes, the price was the best in midtown for a hotel - but check the fine print!! We didn't notice that room cleaning wasn't included in our stay without paying extra for it!? Why would I book a "hotel" if the room isn't cleaned every day? The value for the money was good if you need a place to shower and sleep without frills: no eating area, no gym, tiny rooms. The only other problem we encountered was the noise. The A/C units are mounted right in the windows so the street noise comes through - all day and all night!

The staff are GREAT!! A big THANKS to Fred, Brianna, Ashley, Israel, Brandon and Stew for making our stay better!

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• Standard Room

First room barely held the bed, no desk. Paid $20 a night to upgrade to a king, with a desk an space for suitcases and briefcases. The shower is open and the door trim was swelling and molding next to the shower. Breakfast was an assortment of fruit and muffins. When you use Booking.com, there seems to be a second tier treatment.

The staff and location made this a good experience, though they had my last name incorrect and it took a bit to find my reservation. Adding someone to the room who arrived before I did was a very onerous process.

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

Building could use an update, but not bad. For over $250 a night, I expect the bed to be made. At check in they said they were a 'green' hotel. That's not green, it's cheap.

Comfortable bed, great location. Lots of TV channels, and good free WiFi

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

Our room was super tiny, like if you are laying on the bed you can reach the walls on either side of you tiny. We were warned about the size of it going in so not really a problem for the one night we were there.

They had a room available on very short notice.

• Reviewed: 29 July 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The continental breakfast was comprised of corner store packaged muffins and overripe bananas. Don't make the assumption that you'll save money on breakfast.

Great staff!!!

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

The room was small for 2 double beds but in that location at that price, I'm not complaining.

Great location, friendly staff. The small breakfast suited us plus fruit all day.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Beds: Too soft. Housekeeping: MIA (had to ask for clean towels and empty my own garbage). Ice machines: None. Bathroom: 2 lights out; broken fan. Lobby: Like a shoebox. Breakfast choices: Sparse. BIGGEST ISSUE: No bag check. THIS SHOULD BE NOTED ON YOUR WEB SITE. Giant, costly hassle. I would not have selected your hotel if I knew I could not stow my bags before check in and after check out!!!!!

Good location for my needs. Sufficient size. OK price. Nice TV.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

I found paying for housekeeping extra a surprise and feel 75 dollars is too much! Also I had to complain that my bedding was not changed. It was corrected but still this shouldn't have happened. The photos so Show the Hotel to be far higher standards than it is. But after getting over this I felt quite comfortable.

The Staff was very friendly and helpful! Whenever I had a question about diections or needed something such as ice or fresh towels I was able to get it.

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

Horribly small, bare, smelly, hot, dirty and noisy rooms. Breakfast was a joke. Coffee and plastic wrapped muffins from a vending machine. Pictures and descriptions not at accurate. I should get a refund from booking.com. I'll never use them again.

• Reviewed: 18 July 2016

Mattress was a little soft. Front desk staff were a little bit eager to send me to the closest restaurant rather than one with the cuisine I preferred .

The decor and the pickup breakfast : the free Internet and laundry. Staff was very helpful when my key got stuck in the lock!!

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

1) no luggage service in the hotel (they have other places outside but far from the hotel) 2) personnel sometimes rude 3) air/conditioning in the room very poorly adjustable - very old 4) bathroom very ugly 5) NO FREE CLEANING SERVICE IN THE ROOM - 75$ each time you want your room cleaned!!

the position near times square and madison garden. nothing else.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

Room was quite small. My bedroom is bigger. Kind of like a single dorm room with a bathroom attached. Furniture too big for such a small room

I liked the location mostly. Good area.

• Reviewed: 12 July 2016

• Queen Room

The grab n go breakfast was very average. Two out of the 3 mornings didn't even have black tea bags available, just herbal teas. The croissants (if any) were awful.

Position, position, position! Perfect for walking anywhere, or catching the subway.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

• Queen Room

It took about five minutes running the water for it to get warm in the mornings. There was a half step-up to get into the very small bathroom. I stubbed my toe there our first morning at the hotel. After that, I remembered about the step when I entered or left the bathroom. The door to the hallway didn't close completely by itself, and we had to remember to pull it to engage the lock when we entered or left.

Great location. Close to subway stations in a pretty good neighborhood. The staff was always friendly and helpful and offered bottled drinking water and offered directions when we left for sightseeing. Except for loud trucks and sirens passing by on the streets, the room was fairly quiet. The hotel is across the street from a cafeteria and near several upscale restaurants. Our room was clean and bright. I would stay there again on a sightseeing trip.

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

This small boutique hotel shows well in pictures but is a little tired in person -- clean, but a little tired. Grab and go breakfast is standard chain hotel-type fare -- ok if you're a fan of Howard Johnson's, otherwise you may want to skip the "breakfast included" option.

Great mid-town location close to transit, excellent coffee (Birch Coffee) and a beautiful park (Madison Ave Park). Easy walking distance to The Flat Iron Building, Empire State Building and Union Square, and a quick subway ride to everything else. Front desk staff (Ashla, Brianna and Brandon) were helpful and accommodating, and the hotel manager (Fred) and housekeeping manager (Maria) were excellent. When we had a small issue, they immediately moved us to another room and truly went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and well taken care of. They clearly understand what makes great hospitality and customer service and take pride in treating their visitors well! Overall, great value for money.

• Standard Room

"grab and go" breakfast was doughtnuts-even toast would be preferable. The wifi was poor. I don't mind the "green" concept of not doing linens, but someone should at least be services rooms to take out garbage and restock toilet paper. We were there for 6 nights-too long for no service at all.

The location was excellent, the bed was comfortable, the shower was nice, and the AC worked.

• Standard Room

The "complimentary" continental breakfast was not really complimentary, as there was an extra fee charged ($14!), and I could not opt out because it was booked through a third party (Booking.com). The first morning I was there, there were bread, apples. Slim pickings. Second morning I overslept and the third morning it was a bit better. Still, I would have like an option not to have the breakfast.

The staff was extremely friendly.

• Deal of the Day Room

I was told that the staff had some serious attitude before my first night. Didn't think much of it until I experienced the rudeness myself, didn't say anything, just decided never to stay there again.

• Standard Room

The room should have been under the stairs it was so small...but it was quiet and bed comfy after a long trip.

Front desk staff were friendly and helpful

• Deal of the Day Room

The room was way too small. Uncomfortable bed. Only two very small pillows. I requested additional pillows and was told I had to wait till next day for housekeeping. They claimed they had no Key!! Terrible! Thankful it was just a one night stay.

• Standard Room

Upon arrival we were given a very small room. It measured roughly 4 sqm by 4.5 sqm. For two adults this was far too small and the air conditioner not only kept us up due to being very loud but was placed less than half a meter away from the bed. However after alerting staff of our problem they were very helpful and moved us to a much larger king room immediately. Felicia was the staff member who helped us and she was lovely. The rest of our stay was fantastic and we would definitely stay again due to location right in the heart of manhattan. Only downside is the noise of the hustle and bustle of nyc being amongst it all.

Great location, close to most things. Subway station close by on 28th st and Madison square park is just around the corner, with 5th Ave also close by. Would definitely recommend staying here in the future, and would come back again.

• Reviewed: 4 July 2016

I do not have any complaints.

The staff was super polite and caring - specially Ashley, the recepcionist. I am allergic to carpet and I was aware that most of the rooms had carpet. She checked the reservations and she managed to change my room in just 2 minutes. The location is awesome; in Madison Square Garden: subway, market, diner, everything less than 5 min walking distance.

• Reviewed: 2 July 2016

I had put a do not disturbed sign on my room, I left for dinner and when I got back MY DOOR WAS OPEN. It didn't look like anyone went through my things and luckily I had carried all my valuables on me. When I told the front desk I had explained the situation and they said the maintenance workers went into the room because they needed to check the air conditioner. The point wasn't that they went in the room, IS IT THAT THEY LEFT THE DOOR OPEN.

The room was okay but I would never stay here again because of what I wrote in my cons review. It is unforgivable.

• Reviewed: 29 June 2016

• Queen Room

No made or room cleaning service. Very little support form the staff. Requested towels and did get after a forty minute Waite.

Size of the room and location were good

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Location of Hotel was difficult to find. When we started to have plumbing problems in the first room, the staff was not helpful. The next day we were moved to a new room but our luggage was left in the previous room. The TV remote was missing in the first room. The phone had issues in the second room. Two adults were only given two small bath towels. We were told additional towels would be available in the morning. No towels were in our second room. However, the Housekeeping Staff brought us towels. The continental breakfast was very minimal. Coffee and sweet rolls wrapped in plastic. I would like some fruit.

Check in and check out was pleasant. I liked being offered water. Location was good. Wine and Cheese at 5:00, refrigerator in room and wi fi was a plus.

• Reviewed: 28 June 2016

We arrived early at the MAve after traveling on a red-eye flight, straight from the airport around 9:20am and asked of possible to check in. The person at front desk said we were all set to go up to our room. He then said no rooms were clean and couldn't accomodate early check-in We asked if we could leave our 2 bags while we had breakfast and walked around town. He said he could not hold luggage and told us we would have to get back on a cab to drop luggage at a storage facility near the airport and pay for bags to be stored. The hotel had a small locked office at front but they would not use that as storage.we rolled away our luggage and walked about 10 blocks to have breakfast and sat there wasting time until Around 11:30. We then walked back with our luggage in tow to the MAve only to find out that though we watched people checking out at 9am there were "still no clean rooms". I sat in the lobby to wait some more as I was so exhausted and had not slept since the morning. Our plan was to at least drop off luggage and site see but we spent most of the day waiting. Around 12:40pm a couple walked in to check-in and the front desk gave them a room. Suddenly there were clean rooms! How long had there been rooms available while we sat and waited patiently for one??? My husband went up and complained we had been waiting for hours. After waiting over 4 hours with our luggage not being able to take any tour.

Room was small but clean and fine for price

• Queen Room

Room Size is too too small, Hotel Charges extra for room cleaning, We have to go get the towels etc., from the reception if needed after one day of stay, Grab and go break fast sucks, the minimum items kept gets over fast and management is least bothered to fill it up.

Great Location, easily accessible to restaurants, good connectivity to MTA metro.

• Queen Room

The breakfast is awful, it's just some burned coffee and a low quality industrial wrapped brioche, there isn't even a table to sit to have breakfast, and it finishes at 9 am (not really convenient if you are on holiday), but hurry up because at 8.30 the food is already gone, they haven't enough for all... sad. The room cleaning is not included in the price, they don't even clean it before a new customer arrives, we found clothes and make up of the old customers on the ground next to the bed (not even under, they just didn't care to clean). The wi-fi is pathetic, it is not possible to use it especially during the evening hours (or you can pay for the upgraded one). It was hilarious when at the end of the holiday they asked 35 extra dollars for the services mentioned above. Oh, maybe we were unlucky but also no hot water in the evening...

...at least when you go out you'll be close to Madison square park

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Standard Room

Dont have housekeeping and don't have an advice about this in booking.com or in the website. A lot of noise in the lower levels.

The team is very gentle and the localization is amazing! One of the most best localization for economical hotels in NYC. The channels on TV are in great number too.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

• Standard Room

The room were very small and the breakfast area is too public and small. Apart from Felisha who was the friendly receptionist, the same could not be said for the other unfriendly small girl. She lack customer service and does not smile at all. She does want to book us in and get rid of us.

Clean bed,clean toilet and bathroom. Felisha the black girl at the front desk was the best and very helpful. She goes out of her way to ensure I enjoy my stay and helped me book for the bus to sightseeing in new York. Her beautiful smile and genuiness makes my stay memorable.

• Reviewed: 25 June 2016

I did not like the fact that there was no place for early check- in travelers to keep their bags. I understand that from 9/11 security has increased and most hotels apparently don't actually keep bags (Which i did not know beforehand) BUT it would have been great if there was some or other way to communicate this to guests (ie--On website). I also found the staff to be quite intolerent and not very empathetic. But all in all a good experience despite having our whole morning thrown off because we had to catch a 10 min cab to the 'luggage keeper'!!

Loved the rooms.. beautifully decorated and bigger than most New York accommodation.. Lovely location! Very happy overall

• Reviewed: 22 June 2016

• Queen Room

Couldn't store luggage prior to check in time. Cleanliness ok but not excellent -some exit mould in the bathroom could be good. ( I mean this to be a helpful comment)

Location great. Good for a short stay. Good option for less expensive accommodation in NY. Always someone at reception if help needed.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Standard Room

The hot water took around 10 minutes to heat up, so I had to take a cold shower not realizing until the end of my shower that the hot water even worked. The TV was extremely glitchy, and the grab and go breakfast was a joke. All I tried was coffee and it came out almost clear! That is not coffee. I left feeling robbed, the hotel is extremeley over priced!

The room was private and the bed was comfortable.

• Reviewed: 21 June 2016

• Standard Room

The hotel clerk on check-in was perfunctory in her manner, not exactly welcoming. Room has a window A/C which means that street noise is not well blocked -- and Madison Ave is a busy street. Breakfast was packaged muffins or croissants, which was OK. Room was too small for more than 1 night for a normal-size couple (we are not big people).

Room was small, but tidy -- adequate for a 1 night stay. Bathroom fixtures and toiletries very nice. Good price. Location was convenient for us.

• Reviewed: 20 June 2016

• Queen Room

Key Cards didn't work every afternoon, but staffs didn't notice when I came back to Hotel. So, I had to go back to the staff to change the Keys. Beds were slopped to each other.

Hotel location was GOOD to take trips to each directions of Manhattan.

• Standard Room

Room slightly bigger than a jail cell;small even for NYC No frig in open cabinet No maid service Layout of room doesnt work due to lack of space Priced 2x + compared to a hostel Would be a good value only if priced same as a hostel

Staff/elevators/location

• Standard Room

Tiny room, no breakfast space (just muffins and coffee in a corner), no room cleaning unless you pay on top for it, low floor facing Madison Av with lots of traffic and noise 24/7

Good location if you need to be midtown

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

The staff could have made an effort to be friendly (blank helpless expressions all the time) And we only found out on arrival that it costs extra if you want your room cleaned and fresh towels etc like a normal hotel, and they won't look after your luggage after your stay like a normal hotel

Good standard room with nice shower and comfy bed

• Reviewed: 5 January 2017

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Did not change bed linens unless one asks to.

Staff's great attention

• Reviewed: 21 November 2016

• Standard Room

That although we had paid in full before our trip no one contacted us to tell us that the Mave was no longer trading as an hotel.

Absolutely nothing

• Reviewed: 3 October 2016

• Standard Room

The hallways were not clean

• Reviewed: 2 October 2016

Promise of breakfast but none provided. Clean towels were not clean.

Bed was amazing, as was the central location.

• Reviewed: 8 September 2016

• Standard Room

very clinical, no warmth or character

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

The room showed a completely different picture than to the one I booked. I could hardly fit my suitcase in the room.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

• Queen Room

There was no access to "Free wifi" we only stayed for one night. Most hotels offer toothpaste and there wasn't any.

• Reviewed: 4 September 2016

Airco was very noisy

• Reviewed: 29 August 2016

noisy Air-Cooler; poor breakfast; NO room daily-cleaning (to pay); NO left luggage (last day)

good location

• Reviewed: 26 August 2016

• Standard Room

Made my trip easy and affordable

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Queen Room

small room, no refrigerator or coffee maker

location to the subway and attractions

• Reviewed: 17 August 2016

tiny room

modern lobby

• Reviewed: 14 August 2016

Very small room

• Reviewed: 12 August 2016

Breakfast was a bit lacking.

Free water in lobby as well as wine tasting in the evening. Amazing location.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2016

I didn't like the clean level .

The location is the best thing.

• Reviewed: 2 August 2016

• Standard Room

They do longer provide luggage storage. New management.

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

Room was very basic. Furniture a bit worn. Breakfast was very limited.

Location was good. Room was clean

• Reviewed: 21 July 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

THIS PLACE WAS DISGUSTING AND THE BIGGEST RIPOFF FOR $435/NIGHT. I WILL FOREVER HAVE NIGHTMARES OF THAT ROOM

• Reviewed: 17 July 2016

No luggage storage. No housekeeping service. Noisy.

Location. Good room size. Comfy bed.

• Reviewed: 16 July 2016

I don't appreciate so called facility fees or resort fees that are announced only at check-in.

• Reviewed: 15 July 2016

• Deal of the Day Room

The room was sooooooooo. Small and there was no remote to change the channel. And wires everywhere.

Near Washington Square Park

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

• Standard Room with Two Double Beds

Having to pay extra for housekeeping.Incredibly noisy airconditioning and very small room.

Comfortable beds,staff efficient and polite.

• Reviewed: 11 July 2016

Rude staff Hotel in disrepair

• Reviewed: 10 July 2016

• Standard Room

Camera troppo piccola e poco pulita cuscini gialli poco gradevoli.. very little room. It was dirty. The pillows were yellow

Browse The MAve NYC traveller photo gallery