Reviews of The Maxwell New York City 4 stars

541 Lexington Avenue, Midtown East, New York, NY 10022, USA

#347 of 415 hotels in New York

5.7

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel exceeded beyond our expections. Very friendly staff and hotel location was great. Will most definitely return to this hotel and also recommend.

• Standard Queen Room

Property in a great location for the price. The hotel was clean and rooms were comfortable with all the facilities required to make it an enjoyable stay

• Cozy Queen Room

The staff was rude. It took more than 45 minutes for the staff to do the check in. The tv and the blow dryer didn’t work. The manager didn’t do much to address such problems. There was no WiFi signal during all my stay even though they charged for it. I booked at this hotel because it was supposed to be a W hotel, but when I arrived the Managment changed to the Maxwell. The Maxwell is NOT a 4 star hotel at all. The price you pay does not meet the value of the service and the amenities at all. Very disappointed. I have been in ny many times and it was the worst stay ever. Do not recommend this hotel.

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel itself was okay but as soon as you need any assistance from any of the staff everything takes a turn for the worse. We had issues with payments for our four rooms where 3 prepayments and been taken from my account in strange amounts. I emailed asking if the booking was secure to which I received an email say Yes all four rooms were fully prepaid. On arrival all was okay and were asked for a card for Amy accidental damage but that’s it as the room was already prepaid. Next day found that just under £4000 in authorisations were pending??? Along with the outstanding charges for the room meant that almost £6000 was no longer available in my account. I very politely asked at reception If they could provide a breakdown of the cost on each room which the lady eventually did with great amount of effort and moaning. It turned out that the pre payment actually failed on to of the rooms, partially confirmed on one room!?! And was accepted in the fourth room. The hotel manager was very rude and repeatedly explained that it was my mistake and that we should be thankful he hadn’t just cancelled the rooms when the payments failed, all this whilst I’m showing him an email sent from his employees stating that all prepayments had been successful!!! Horrible person leading a very disgruntled team. Would not recommend. ALSO TOTAL AMOUNT ON BOOKING.COM IS NOT THE TOTAL AMOUNT YOU ACTUALLY PAY DUE TO EXCHANGE RATES ON DAY OF PAYMENT. MY TOTAL WENT UP BY £100

Bed was comfy and good location, that’s where the good points end

• Standard Queen Room

WiFi doesn’t work, it connects but no internet. They tried to make me pay for a minibar charge that was already missing when I arrived. I politely told them I haven’t eaten anything from the minibar and they didn’t charge me.

Small rooms but comfortable. System was down when I arrived, they gave me complimentary breakfast after a 15 minute wait check in time. Nice minibar in rooms.

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel was excellent and staff likewise. Location and the room itself was great and the size was decent for a NY hotel. Security staff went above and beyond to help get a lost phone back something I haven't experienced from other hotels. Highly recommended.

• Standard Queen Room

Checking in was a problem since the site did not have my reservation had to fight with them showing my booking and after all that they finally gave me an “upgraded room” for my time and patience however this room was the size of a shoebox and is clearly not an upgraded room I felt really embarrassed with my new partner with me as I expected my stay at the w to be like other times I have stayed there. They gave me such a small room with a tiny bathroom. Really disappointed with the service from the hotel manager.

Cool hotel great location

• Standard Queen Room

Hotel rooms slightly dated but not much time is spent in a hotel in NYC so doesn't really matter. Hotel was very quiet so not interruptions sleeping Great location close enough to the centre of time square but also a good distance away at the same time - $1 pizza is a 2 minute walk too ;)

• Superior Queen Room

I can’t stretch to find a single inconvenience. Maybe no alarm clock, but we used our phones anyway and maybe that’s why the hotel doesn’t bother. Otherwise truly perfect!!

Location is outstanding as are the services!! Great in house bar for a late night cocktail and we needed late maid service due to our schedule. Everything was perfect! Can’t say enough good things about this place!!! Would happily stay here again!!!!

• Standard Queen Room

Elevators were tiny and took a long time to respond.

The room was very comfortable, a good size for a couples getaway. Location was great and close to so much variety.

• Cozy Queen Room

I was not aware that they would be taking 100 dollars from me until I got there. It’s pretty small for the pricing. Probably go somewhere else next time

The hotel was very clean and nicely put together.

• Cozy Queen Room

The walls are incredibly thin, and our room was based near the lifts so it was incredibly loud on the Friday/Saturday night with loud drunk people shouting in the hallway getting out of the lift. However, luckily the air con in the room is so loud it helped block out the noise.

Bed was super comfy and the price for the room/location was really good.

• Cozy Queen Room

Small room, small bed and no coffee making facilities. Poor attitude of staff to problems and rude and condescending staff when trying to make problems known.

Good location with plenty of amenities close by.

• Standard Queen Room

Sooooo expensive. Rooms tiny and not cleaned properly. Mini bar ridiculous prices. No itinerary in room. No tea/coffee making facilities in room. Staff don't seem to know what they are doing and the system kept breaking down so checking in a nightmare. Concierge useless.

Nice lobby and bar.

• Standard Queen Room

I stayed there several times but now its been about 4-5years. I was shocked at how uncomfortable, cramped, ugly the place is-- not at all what it used to be. very disappointing. No hot water, TV broken, extra charges on my bill.. really a drag

• Cozy Queen Room

Tea available with complimentary coffee.

The once a day apple 🍏 available from reception. The complimentary coffee - but I like Tea so some hot water would be good. The bar. The location was excellent. The room size wasn’t too small.

• Cozy Queen Room

Worst W hotel we’ve been to.

The concept of Whatever/whenever, even though they kept forgetting and we had to call them multiple times to ask for the same things.

• Deluxe Queen Room

No friendly welcome from staff on check in, conversation from staff was uninterested. We were never greeted with a hello or goodbye on leaving or returning during the day or evening (It’s not much to ask). The room was big (we paid approx 260 dollars per night for this room), but underwhelming. There was just an empty space where the extra space was- it needed a chair / sofa to sit down and read or take in the view at least. The lighting was inconvenient (no reading lights by bed, lights only on one side). At 260 dollars per night with no WiFi, no breakfast, it wasn’t worth it. We went to the lotte hotel a block over for coffees and breakfast on 2 mornings - next time i’d stay there (the price was the same).

The windows in the room were large and gave good light into the room, which was lovely. I did pay the higher price in order to get a bigger room with a good view (260 dollars per night per night without breakfast). Wasn’t worth it overall.

• Cozy Queen Room

A full length mirror would have been great as there was room for one

Shower was great and not having to pay for the safe was good as most hotels you have to pay

• Standard Queen Room

No free wifi! Asked for 2 double beds and only got one queen. Wanted to pay cash but through booking.com it was pre-paid and couldn't be changed. Dark and small room with no view.

The gym was excellent. Room was clean.

• Cozy Queen Room

The staff were not helpful, the rooms were tiny, on booking this hotel it says w New York time square very misleading as it was not. Times Square and the picture they had was mos leading. Only gave us 1 robe Room was not caked in dust Room was tiny No view Staff were very un helpful and rude.

About the hotel, not very much, the speed of the lifts was about the highlight

• Cozy Queen Room

So pricey. Disgusted that they provided a first aid kit which we thought was complimentary. I used two plasters for blisters on foot and they charged us 15usd!!!!! Rip off. Couldn't afford to eat breakfast there or bar

Convenient location. Comfortable

• Standard Queen Room

The pillows on the bed were pretty comfortable but the bed itself could use a mattress cushion, however wasn’t a problem for the two nights we stayed. The view was also no great, there was no view our window showed another hotel/building right next door.

My daughter and I really enjoyed the hospitality of the staff! We were warmly greeted upon check-in and treated well during the rest of our visit. The staff was very welcoming and gifted my daughter with little treats and snacks throughout our entire stay which made her birthday trip extra special!! The Hotel decor was very nice, sleek and modern! The room was a bit small but I was well aware via booking and reviews. Besides the space was no problem for mother and daughter (9yrs old).

• Standard Queen Room

The rooms weren’t really cleaned to a high standard (bathroom floor wasn’t washed during our stay). Glasses weren’t replaced after we used them in the room and items were missing from the mini bar and the hotel tried to charge us for them (although we said it wasn’t us and there was no argument from the reception team).

The Hotel is in a fabulous location for all those wants to explore New York. Staff were friendly and helpful. I am definitely a fan of the W Hotel.

• Cozy Queen Room

The hotel is a bit tired, charging $15 for the wifi in the room i is ridiculous.

The location was good, the cosy double bedroom was big enough - like a normal size bedroom in Europe. Lobby wifi was ok.

• Superior Queen Room

AC/heater was extremely noisy the blanket was very light I could not sleep with the heater on because it was very noisy and when I turned it off it’s cold due to a very light blanket

• Deluxe Queen Room

Place used to be top of the line. The air conditioners sounds like the will fall from the ceiling. The matress not heavenly anymore, just a regular matress, windows shades tearing apart and stained. The noise of the place and the dated things change my mind about W hotels.

The food, although for a Tuna Tartare, Chef Salad and a glass of wine $75 its too much

• Standard Queen Room

The day we checked in the toilet in our room was dirty. There was construction behind the building so there was some noise and we were in a room right in front of the floor elevators so you wuld hear the elevator each time.

The location was good.

• Cozy Queen Room

No coffee maker in room. Fridge was filled by mini bar items, allowing no room for other items acquired during my trip.

Room and bathroom were very spacious. Items requested for room came quickly after being requested.

• Cozy Queen Room

No coffee maker or fridge in room.

The room was way more spacious than I thought it was going to be which was a nice surprise. I did not like that the hotel charged $15 for a coffee, which was the only way to have coffee in your room since there were no coffee makers.

• Cozy Queen Room

The hotel bar was too expensive and the service wasn’t amazing. Two beers came to $40 which put us off having another drink and went somewhere else.

Great location, reception staff very nice and helpful. Good price for location.

• Cozy Queen Room

The bad things: The room wasn't too small but did not have a wardrove to hang clothes, the bathroom did not have a shower plate or any separation from the rest of the bathroom, just a curtain. The bed was not uniform, the service was completely unpolite and arrogant, etc. But the worst part was the final price and paying methods, when booking the price was in total around 550$ then when the confirmation emails came the price had gone up to 630$ because of taxes and administration services and later at the hotel the price had increased till 730$, and the worst part is that they even charge us on the credit card 830$!!! Will never go back and it does not stand of the rest of the W hotels I know.

The good things: location, in the middle of mid town and with subway stops at less than 5 min. walking.

• Cozy Queen Room

There was construction work taking place adjacent to the hotel which meant some unnecessary noise from early on in the morning. The room was pretty small but we were only in it for sleeping at night.

It was very modern looking inside. The staff were very helpful. The hotel is situated in a great location for tourists. The rooms were cleaned each day to a high standard.

• Standard Queen Room

The basic infrastructure was poor. Bathroom plumbing did not work properly due to a maintenance issue.

Staff were friendly and courteous. Did their best to make guests comfortable

• Cozy Queen Room

I didn’t like the room how the bathroom was a bit smaller , the closet didn’t need to be so big

I like the hotel lobby , looks very nice even though I didn’t use the lobby lounge

• Cozy Queen Room

They charge you for WIfii and Room delivery when you request food to the room, 10$ , to much for delivery? Recepctionits are no very practical, very confusing , when you call is a mission to make understand what you really need.

Front Desk team amazing, Financial team as well, they needed to do a refund and with no drama was done. Overall all the staff is very nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Loud housekeepers outside my room. Seriously could not believe there wasn't a closet in the room. Not even a hanger.

The bed was comfortable and the shower was good.

• Cozy Queen Room

We had a few terrible experiences. One night we went out for dinner annd when we get back housekeeping had left the latch on the door flicked out, so that the door couldn't shut. Anyone could have walked in. I had to call management 3 times before they did anything about it (to their credit, they took the cost of one night off). Other issues were 1) the bathroom was super cold 2) the bathroom was poorly designed - the toilet paper was all the way under the sink and the sink overlapped with the toilet seat so you couldn't sit up straight.

The location is good - that's about it

• Deluxe Queen Room

We had a leak from the sink water valve, it took three phone calls and a talk with the management to get someone to do something about the problem.

Room very comfortable, staff great

• Cozy Queen Room

Everything, room too small for price, shower wasn’t clean, view was horrible, parking was over priced, I literally wanted to leave and get refund when I walked into the took but I didn’t think I would be able to do unfortunately we had to sleep there but I’ll never book this hotel ever again

The tea in the lobby was good

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast ambience. Some of the off-street guests in the lobby. During a past stay I tried one of the suites which was a real disappointment.

Location, friendliness of two of the front desk personnel. Bliss products.

• Standard Queen Room

Breakfast without Buffet and very expensive. I not received the Receipt. I Ask it many time by Email, Chat and directly to checkout.

Hotel & Room Design

• Standard Queen Room

PAMELA RILEY W INSIDER W NEW YORK was absolutely wonderful. I called the morning of our flight because our flight was going to be delayed. Not only did she assure me that our room would be saved for us, she went out of her way to make sure there were some surprises waiting for us, including a room upgrade. Friendly and thoughtful, both on the phone and in person.

• Standard Queen Room

The view of my room was from the 9th floor it was towards the interior of the building looking into other rooms

The convenience of everything within walking distance

• Standard Queen Room

We loved this hotel. We were a bit worried after reading bad reviews on TripAdvisor but I can say this hotel is great. Rooms were comfy free coffee in the morning free hot apple juice in afternoon to warm you up cause New York was so cold!!!!

• One-Bedroom Suite

The ‘ Fantastic Suite ‘ was a disgrace. Small, dingy, small double bed ( not a queen ) , tiny bathroom, unclean. We had to downgrade to a single room to find a reasonable room.

• One-Bedroom Suite

The hotel bar prices aren’t cheap and having the restrooms on the second floor when you are drinking on the ground floor is annoying having to get the lift up and down each time you want to use the restroom. Also the AC can be very noisey in a night in both the living g room and bedroom.

Excellent location for 5th Avenue shops and easy walking distance to Central Park and Times Square without all the hustle and bustle

• Standard Queen Room

Was not expecting much given some of the previous reviews. It was booked by a friend. I was pleasantly surprised. We paid a bit extra to upgrade to a bigger room. It was clean and is in a great location.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was terribly small and overpriced. Our room was directly across from the elevator, meaning we heard every conversation and mechanic noise all day and all night coming from the hallway. The walls were paper thin, and the square footage was so low I felt as if I was in a closet. Wish I would have spent more time checking prices of other places. The Sheraton in Times Square was $129 a night and had a huge lobby and what I would imagine would have bigger rooms. We stayed for $179 in a closet sized room.

The lobby looked nice.

• Standard Queen Room

Paper thin walls, incredibly noisy air con, tiny rooms, rooms not the cleanest, restaurants apparently closed on weekends which is ridiculous and taking the absolute piss on food prices. Don’t feel it’s up to par of the other W hotels around the world

The bath products at a stretch

• Deluxe Queen Room

I asked for the in room dining team to bring some extra glassss to the groom and they said they would have to charge for each glass.. the bathroom floor was white and looked very run down. It felt dirty. The decor is nice but it looked very run down - carpet pulled up and fading, etc.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was bit tiny. Elevators were crowded and very slow around checkin/checkout time.

Good location! Many sightseeing places are located in walking distance from the hotel. Easy to find restaurants, cafe and bars.

• Superior Queen Room

Quite possibly the noisiest hotel room I've ever stayed in ,from the toilet flush like a Tsunami , to the AC like a prop plane starting preparing for flight, to either construction or wasteage going off every morning at about 6:30am,in 30min intervals Coudnt even enjoy a sleep in . It was a corner room , very dark all day long .

Location Room size was bigger than we expected,

• Standard Queen Room

The hotel is old and needs a renovation. I stayed there 10 years ago and now you can easily see that the hotel needs a renew. The staff also needs to be more friendly. Paid internet is just outdated for today's marketplace. Charge for internet is like charge for the bathroom usage.

The location is just perfect for business and leisure.

• Cozy Queen Room

Do not pay for the view. At least in standard rooms you won't get what you expect and will be disappointed. This is very old and worn out building and so the rooms are. Yes it has its own history but I wouldn't pay for it. Concierge was not very pleasant.

It is close to Madison. So if you are after sports event it will be convenient to stay here. There is 24 hour shop nearby.

• Standard Queen Room

In spite common areas look renovated and modern, rooms are old and small with fee amenities. There are better hotels on the neighbourhood with better rooms and same price.

• Superior Queen Room

W is in general a very impersonal hotel chain with pretentions and pricing of a luxury hotel. I have been with them in many locations (London, Taipei, Miami, etc) so I knew what to expect, but this particular one is DISGUSTING. It is not refreshed at least for 20 years. Personel is arrogant and ineffective, rooms resemble the chicken cages. But the quality of the room is the scarest! Dirt is everywhere! Smudges in the walls, mold on the bathrrom joints, hair from the previous tenant in the sink...the bedding is horrible as well. It was washed so many times that there little round cotton balls on the bedsheets... keep further away from W Hotel!!!! This is my last stay, for sure!!!

Location is convenient.

• Cozy Queen Room

The rooms are very small

I did not like the room that I was initially checked into. The staff were very accommodating in changing to a different room that suited my preference.

we did not get the rooms we paid for and were downgraded.. we paid for a suite and they ran out and had no other plans for us apart from downgrade..the whole process was unpleasant.

• Standard Queen Room

The fact that the hotel wanted to take another deposit for reservation I had paid for in advance. They took a room deposit of £76 too cover dinner and other charges. I thought this would be done once you leave the hotel. They weren’t very honest when they took the money , I got the money reversed today and it put a damper on my trip

• Standard Queen Room

"Hidden" charge for room service; notice is in very small print at bottom of menu. Be aware.

The doormen were collectively the most courteous, helpful, fun guys I've ever encountered. Just excellent service and fabulous attitudes. Super ambassadors for the hotel.

• Cozy Queen Room

The staff were rather impersonal.

It was a good location and we had a particularly nice room. There were amenities nearby where we could easily purchase breakfast.

• Standard Queen Room

rude unhelpful staff, dated look, shabby elevators, poor food selection and facilities, card never ever worked.

nice beds as with all W hotels and great location.

• Cozy Queen Room

Change of rooms. At first I got a low storey room, then second room water was dripping in the sink! Finally the third room was excellent, after so much hassle of changing three times room in the same day!!!!

silent and comfy. Manager excellent who took care of me and chsnging my room.

• Superior Queen Room

Hotel and room were not like on the pictures. Hotel's restaurant was pretty expensive (as for drinks). Actually, the hotel was also more expensive than others in this price category. The room had a bad view on the building under construction. All sockets were hard to reach, far from the bed and without USB (which is very important in our times!).

Hotel has a good location. My room was very clean and had a very soft bed.

• Standard Queen Room

The room was incredibly tiny, the closet was almost the same size as the bathroom, the space was planned poorly.

Loved the location, central to everything

• Standard Queen Room

It was ok. The room was TINY for the cost. The pillows have no firmness - it was like sleeping without a pillow at all. The parking cost is outrageous, but there were no other options. The bell hops were so busy, there is no way to get items out of my car that I left so I did without and ended up buying what I needed.

Staff were friendly and it's walking distance to times square, Bryant Park and little eateries.

• Cozy Queen Room

Air conditioning was so loud, too loud. I was ok with it but my husband would never stay there (I was with my daughter) aM Coffee service wasn't there long enough. Extend to 9:00am

Bed was awesome

• Standard Queen Room

- The lifts are a disaster: I have sometimes waited almost 10 minutes to get a lift... all the guests (met in front of the lift, since you have to wait so long each time) were complaining about it. I even renouced at a point to go back to my room while I forgot something because I knew it would take too long - The inside bar is not good: the"Oasis Lounge" offers overpriced poorly-made cocktails (my mojito and then my old-fashioned were really not properly done). But the Whisky Blue Bar is OK - The breakfast is not included and super expensive: they give you quite basic coffee and each meal is without many things (you have to pay an extra for almost everything, like 3 USD for an extra egg or 5 USD for bacon... ridiculous for such a hotel) - The ventilation of the room was making a lot of noise: I have told the desk but they were unable to do anything... not pleasant

- The location is more than perfect: On Lexington, at the heart of Manhattan and next to all the most interesting places - The hotel is quite nice with a very modern and elegant design - Good fitness center

• Superior Queen Room

Always gave us one towel short unless we asked for an extra. Had to bring our own luggage in and out on arrival and departure. One unfriendly experience with front desk

Great location Central but not in a noisy area Large rooms for New York Lovely cleaning staff

• Standard Queen Room

View from the room was of the building next door and the air conditioning ducts. Luckily we did not spend much time in the room

Good hotel, friendly and helpful staff in a good location. Only a quick 2 night stop

• Cozy Queen Room

Staff was anything but accommodating and at times almost rude. Check-in and Check-out staff were pleasant.

Mini bar was not removed as requested. Bed was comfy but we sent a request almost a full week before arriving to see if we could get a rollaway or a king size bed and we didn't receive a response until the day before and we were told that our request could not be accommodated. Calling the hotel they said we had to check with booking.com and attempting to contact booking.com , we were referred to the hotel

• Cozy Queen Room

The tiniest hotel room I have ever stayed in. Like a shoe box. No tea/coffee in room. Bed very comfortable. I never book hotels generally where you have to pay for wifi . $14.95/day! Wouldn't stay there again.

• Cozy Queen Room

Room was a little small but good

Service, I experienced some health issues I need a medical attention the staff moon over and beyond to make sure I was OK and I received the medical attention that I need it I really appreciate their help in the way they handled the matter very grateful

• Cozy Queen Room

The rooms are quite small and cozy. The view out of the room was staring onto another brick wall. Which made it feel even smaller.

The price is good for NYC

Browse The Maxwell New York City traveller photo gallery