Reviews of The Palace Inn 2 stars

1631 South Oxnard Boulevard, Oxnard, CA 93030, USA

#9 of 12 hotels in Oxnard

6.2

Reasonable Price

Appeared to be remodeled somewhat. At a glance appeared clean, sink tub, and toilet. But floor was actually dirty around the toilet. My daughter also found a used soap in the shower meaning shower had not been thoroughly cleaned.

Price was reasonable sheets were clean. Staff was friendly.

I might give it another try when visiting Oxnard I just hope they take care of room smell and towels

The minute you opened the door and walked in it smelled bad like someone had been smoking that kind of ruined it for me otherwise it would have been a good stay. The towels are paper thin and when you dried with them they shed some of the fabric on your skin.

The room appearance seemed clean and the bed was comfortable and air conditioning worked well.

I love this property!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

The staff is extremely RUDE!! Also they were extremely rude when we showed up at the time we had specified in our reservation, (which was before normal check in time) However upon arrival, even though the website said their front desk was “open 24 hrs, check in whenever you like” The man not only told me that they couldn’t accommodate our early check in time knowing we had been on a flight from the east coast all night and after offering to pay for an early check in and even another full day even though we would have only paid for that full day even though we were checking in at 5-6am and our next day would have started a few hours later at 11am. But they did not accept either of our offers to pay more if we just could have a place indoors to wait as we flew in that morning and had no other place to go to besides the hotel we booked for the duration of our stay here. Not only were basically all the staff super rude to us, but they also kept pushing our check in time back more! First it was noon, then 1pm, then 2pm, then 3pm (mind you we haven’t left the property since 5am except the occasional walk for food) and finally I think I was finally checking in at about 4:45-5pm!! So for 12 hours instead of taking our money and making more sales themselves they chose to leave us outside in the elements and be rude af to us!! In addition we got yelled at for our rides coming to pick us up for our main event. Saying we had to many “visitors” I’m sorry but doesn’t a visit have to be longer than it takes for my ride to use the restroom before leaving? I was gone until 4am and we had to check out right at 11am When I went to the office in the morning to pay for tonight, they told us we had to check out by 11am and never step foot on their property again! Hmm having to wait outside for hours while they seemed to push back our check in time because it was amusing to them is actually something we normal humans consider abuse!

I love this property! The rooms are nice and they have kitchens!! Which is a major plus always in my book! Although they don’t supply any dishes or pots or pans to cook with!

I was very happy that I stayed there.
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

Not that I didn't like the neighborhood but for a single female it was a bit sketchy but after I got in the room everything was fine. Looks can be deceiving.

The room was very clean. Sheets and towels very white. The air conditioner worked great and the bed was like giving me a big hug. The jacuzzi was awesome. I would definitely stay there again.N

I would not ever stay there again. I am disappointed in Booking for having this on its list.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

No coffee, no WiFi, no security lock on door, no hangers, rude staff, thick dust on surfaces, dirty grungy old upholstered chair, no clock, located in the worst part of town.no glasses.

Nothing!!! Booking.com should not recommend this motel. I would never recommend this even to my worst enemy!

Great price for a little cozy room
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

For the price the room was very nice. We had stayed in a different motel the night before that cost 30.00 more and was horrible. I was grateful to see the room after we checked in. It was clean the bed was comfortable and there was a tv microwave and fridge. The room was a little small but I did not mind. We weren't expecting to stay another night on our trip but things came up and we had to get this room last minute. The manager was understanding and had the room cleaned and we were able to check in before check on time.

The location was horrible, they had bars on the windows,...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

The location was horrible, they had bars on the windows, fields workers were their main customers, the outside was dirty. The people in the office were rude. The worse hotel I have stayed at .

Overall a nice place and we would stay here again.

The clothing rack was in a weird place near the front window to the right side of the bed. We have a large pickup and so did a lot of other guests. Due to the arrangement of the parking lot we had to be careful where we parked.

Large television, comfortable bed, A/C good, refrigerator and microwave.

For it being a night stay I was satisfied with our room.

The walls are very thin and I could hear the people in the room next to us. Also, the toilet made a loud flushing sound like every 45 minutes.

The bed was super comfortable. Even though we didn't use them, I liked that the room came with a microwave and refrigerator.

Loved the room and staff, didn't love the tweakers pounding at my door at 2 am.
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

I didn't like that I had random pounding at my door in the middle of the night at one point. The area had some shady-looking characters and we were scared to open it. There should be security guards at night.

Room was amazing. Beautiful room. I have nothing bad to say about the room or the staff. They were great and the room was great.

Ok place when you’re under a mandatory evacuation
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

The staff could have been more friendly to us and our guest; the bathtub should’ve had no-slip grip on the inside for safety; I slipped and fell out of the shower onto my husband; the power went out and they didn’t have a back up generator.

The kitchen and the oven.

Overall nice and cozy perfect in a pinch.

The heater would make the room dry and would cause you to wake up with a little dry mouth.

It was right in town. Cozy, and had warm shower. Had a late check in and staff was very nice about it.

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

Steer clear of this one

Dirty and run down. The room was cramped, even without the big, ugly, stained armchair that they put in close to the door, making it difficult to open. Water gushed from the shower head with a crazy force that could knock a child over, with no way to regulate it. The lady at the reception desk was unhelpful. The neighbourhood was shady, deserted after dark.

Really nothing I can think of.

Everything from the uncomfortable pillows to the nasty smell...
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

Everything from the uncomfortable pillows to the nasty smell the A.C gave to how rude they are to their clients .. bad service I will never ever go back there even if it's for free

Property felt safe even though the neighborhood was a little...

Property felt safe even though the neighborhood was a little on the unsure side. The place was clean and quit, the tv was nice and it had tons of channels and HD which worked well with the tv. The bathrooms was very nice compared to other places. Bed was cozy. The owners are not very people friendly. It’s a business I get it and I would think that because of the exceptionally great prices they probably deal with people that are not great to deal with and so they have now been forever jaded towards regular people who might need a little slack cut. NO VISITORS- strict policy which is stupid if you are visiting from out of town. Owners are reasonable I’m assuming but maybe need to take a hospitality course or something to soften them back up. I’d give a 4 but because of the bitterness a 3. Great place for great price other wise.

Well I didn’t like you can’t have no Guest so I was all by...

I like the rooms

Well I didn’t like you can’t have no Guest so I was all by myself all night What I didn’t like is that you can’t have no gas even though you’re by yourself you’re not allowed to have nobody

Excellent location, excellent price, excellent service
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Seems to attract "strange folk of the night" types, but it goes with the price. Regardless, I still love this place.

This was my second time staying at this hotel and I love it. You can't beat the price. The rooms are very large for the price and let's just say there are "extra" convienences in the room. For one hilarious example, the rooms include a seperate kitchen with a full size counter, refrigerator and stove top oven. You could literally cook thanksgiving dinner in there. Not that anyone would, but the option is there. The staff is incredibly friendly and caring about their guests. I will certainly be back.

You would have to be desperate to book a room at this parolee paradise.

Everything - staff rude. Police were there at 3 a.m. Place dirty, linens threadbare, way way overpriced for being in a ghetto area as it turned out; not safe at all. No ice, but refrigerator never defrosted. Worst mattress ever. I think they must pay attention to availability of other hotel properties and raise their rates according to lack of vacancies. Reservations were made same day and online - hotel not what it appears on booking.com. Would highly recommend driving by before considering staying there. Staff said it was a tourist area - NOT - more like parolee alley!

When we left

The place should be 0 star but there's no option. This site gives it 2.9 stars for an ok staff.

The comfort has hole, the place was dirty, the carpet looks like it hasn't been cleaned at all. It's filthy, the bathroom smells like sewage, there was only hot or cold shower, no warm shower. There was a fly in my room when I walked in the room. They also charge you for electricity.

Nothing I like about this place. It was a last minutes booking and there was a special promotion. I should have taken the past attendees rating more seriously. This place make motel 6 looks like a 5 stars hotel.

Room was fine, but unfortunately we wouldn't recommend this hotel.

Location - surrounded by auto-repair and tyre places, nowhere much within walking distance. Lots of random comings and goings among neighbours at all hours of the night - sleep was quite disturbed both nights.

Good price and easy to access by car, from the coast road. Manager was very helpful when we were disturbed by late-night noise. Lovely Mexican restaurant next-door. Room was nice. Meant we could get round the side of LA without too many traffic issues.

Would not recommend or stay again. That sums it up. Wish I would have read the yelp reviews.
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Filthy. Mold in showers, floors, bathrooms. Dirty walls and doors. Broken hair dryer on counter covered in dust. Broken tiles on bathroom counter. Had to ask for missing smoke detector to be installed.

Nothing!!!

Pay extra to go somewhere with better service

The staff gave me problems booking concerning a lost photo ID and asked me if I was a us citizen...that would have been funny if I didn't have my us passport with me.

Price was fair for surrounding areas

we diddnt got murdered

• no warm water • if you shower the whole bathroom gets wet • doggy people where sitting in there car for hours in front of our room, listening to loud music (hotel manager diddnt do anything about it) • in the morning construction work started and was very loud

we diddnt got murdered

Nasty i wanted to leave as soon as i got there
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

Everything staff barely talks.floors were nasty.room was not clean.someone's cigarette ashes all over toilet jizz rag on the ground hair in yhe bed and all kinds of stuff in the jacuzzi.location is in a bad part of town

Tv that was it

Too tired to move on.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

The uncleanliness of the room. Thick dust on the back of the bathroom door. Strands of hair on the blankets and sheets. The seediness of the property. Mattresses stored outside with miscellaneous equipment. Sketchy area.

Latge vehicles will have difficulty parking

The room had a wet musty odor but there were no signs of mold. It is close to the coast.

The room was clean. The property was clean and nicely painted and muraled. It is quaint.

Hamburger Accommodations at Steak Price

Somewhat seedy industrial area No handicapped facilities No ice machine Very sparse bathroom amenities, i.e. poor shampoo, tiny harsh soap, small, rough towels Tub/shower drain very sluggish Cramped room with dated, mismatched furniture Only 1 bedside table No closet area Only 1 table lamp, and the bulb was burned out WiFi password not offered at check-in No in-room coffee machine No breakfast available Staff not very friendly

Good modern flat screen TV Comfortable bed Quiet

Owners/ Manager were extremely nice.
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

Kitchen needed some TLC. Wasn't disguising but could have been cleaner.

Owners/ Manager were extremely nice. If I had a request or question they were accommodated. Bed Area & Restrooms was clean & well kept.

Very rude,no visitors allowed and I was there to visit...

Very rude,no visitors allowed and I was there to visit family,no extra pillows per my request prior to arrival,coffee cold that was in lobby and they charged my card $100 for smoking outside the room cause the door was left open so I could listen for my daughter who was taking a bath.I will never stay there again

• Reviewed: 7 June 2017

Awful.. never reccomend

Service. Rude manager

The manager was very very rude. I requested a cot or 2 beds as my 15 year old was with us and we would not arrive in till 2 am. They told me when I arrived no cost and if I wanted 2 beds it would be $50 more. We got there at 2 am. Then they said if my son was staying in the room it would be $20 more. He slept on the floor because it was a king bed..very rude and unaccomadating.

This stay was a mistake.

Location, ambiance, room. The bed was too soft, linens were really rough, and furniture was too big for the room. It was hard walking past the bed. Would not go back or recommend.

Parking was right outside the room.

Very comfortable and very quiet.

Can't help what neighborhood surrounds them, but you feel pretty safe on the property itself.

Owner:manager is always very kind. The beds are the softest I've felt since staying at the Hampton Inn, and the walls & windows are quite thick.

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Palace in the Rough
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

The king suite in the far corner has a barred window that faces a busy, sketchy liquor store parking lot to the rear of the motel

Owner/ manager was very kind and personable. Will be coming back here again when I'm in town.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

Palace in the rough.
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

The location next to liquor stores, commercial trucking thoroughfares, and directly next to an old bikini/go-Go dancer bar attracts the homeless, sketchy, and shifty individuals. I wouldn't recommend walking outside of the hotel property after dark without a Posse of your own.

Very friendly hotel owner/manager. Room was surprisingly quiet for the location it was in, right off the PCH (hwy 1) in Oxnard. Closest motel to Malibu. The jacuzzi rooms have very large, no-shit hot tubs for two, maybe three people comfortably. Ventilation in one could be better, but it was still very relaxing. The bed was very soft, and the room was very clean, even under the bed. Parking lot is small, but it is also very private with only a third of it being visible by motorists from the street. I will be coming back here for sure!

Glade only stayed one night.

Problems with booking. My booking was cancelled by property when we were on our way there. We called reception but lady was not very accomodating, she was adamant to make a booking through website again with different card. We had to stop and made a booking but with exactly same card as before (I knew there's funds in my account). This time, the card magically worked and my account has been charged even booking site said we'll pay at the property. We checked-in around 11pm. Our room was dirty, cover on the bed had cigarette holes in it. Layer of dust covered most of the furniture. Place also advertise they have cable TV with HBO. That's not true!

I realy like it

The fact that I noticed a roach in the room was kind of a turn off.

I like that it had a flat screen a bed bed and a microwave and a refrigerator in the room

• Reviewed: 4 April 2017

Good for one night
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

Just a very few dish in the kitchen, there is no sponge and dishwasher liquid so you can not was your dish between two usage.

Old furnitures but everything was clean, the small kithen

• Reviewed: 21 March 2017

So much money for that
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

The Jacuzzi kept spitting out green stuff The staff was little rude The refrigerator was barely working Microwave was rusty Fan was full of dust The sheets would come off real easy

The fact we had Jacuzzi in our room

Pleasantly surprised
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

Pictures did not do this place justice. We were pleasantly surprised and it was very clean, comfortable and definitely worth another visit. Manager was Amazing

• Reviewed: 18 March 2017

4.5
    For the money we paid we expected better
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

We find it strange that this motel has a kitchen complete with pots and pans, but has no cutlery, plates, tea towels or dishwashing liquid eat the food you have cooked yourself with or clean up afterwards. Like most motels we have stayed in in the Southern California area, there are no plugs for the sink or bath. The outdoor ereas are littered with cigarette butts and look as if they have never been swept or maintained in any way. We get the impression that the management don't care about how the place looks to guests, or that the rooms are properly equiped as per the descriptions your company advertises about them

Not much!

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

Palace Inn next to Snookys Bikini Bar
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

The view through burglar bars of the liquor store and its parking lot directly behind the room. Didn't seem like we'd be able to escape in the event of a fire.

Big jacuzzi in the room large enough for three normal sized people, or two really large fat people.

• Reviewed: 10 February 2017

Cheap, clean, comfortable place

Nothing nearby.

Cheap, clean. Guests in the neighboring room started fighting (loudly) both nights around 2pm. The management was proactive about keeping them quiet.

• Reviewed: 1 February 2017

The managers were very friendly
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

My only beef would be that the bathroom floor could have been washed a little better. The corners were filthy . A build up of dirt from probably not sweeping, just washing the floor. But everything else was great.

The managers were very friendly very accommodating. We drove from San Diego, & because we did not know how traffic was going to be, we left early to get to Oxnard. Traffic was good so we arrive an hour early. The manager lady felt bad because we were early (which we knew) we were going to have to wait. She went ahead a upgraded us to a room w/ kitchenette w/no charge. I would definitely stay there again.

• Reviewed: 26 December 2016

Worst Hotel I've Ever Been Too!
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

This was a surprise for my husband and it ended up to be a desaster. This place was so dirty the spa had dirt coming out of the ducts like the water was recycled the ceiling fan was full of dust the floors were dirty it was just descusting! I will never go there again! When I called the manager to come clean at least the ceiling fan he looked like he got annoyed with us no personality what so ever. Little advice to them if your going to charge so much for a spa room at least clean the damn place!

• Reviewed: 6 December 2016

Cheap and cheerful
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

Location but we knew that when we booked in.

Good value for money. Didn't have full kitchen like they said but we asked for utensils and they got them for us.

• Reviewed: 13 October 2016

What a Gem!
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

We stayed one night and it was lovely. The staff couldn't have been nicer . They knocked on our door in the evening to tell us we had left our car lights on.The kitchen was such a pleasant surprise . The price was very reasonable. When we woke up in the morning, we discovered were'nt the first to love it. The parking lot was full!

• Reviewed: 6 October 2016

Great Value!!! Very pleasant and quiet!!

No complaints here!

Very quiet little motel, rooms have been recently remodeled. Only a mile or two from the beach!!! I will definitely stay here again!

• Reviewed: 11 September 2016

The place very nice and clean

At first the people in the office were being rude in the beginning and trying to charge my credit card when I was told that my card wasn't going to be use at all

The place very nice and clean

• Reviewed: 7 September 2016

cheap sleep
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

noisy (ac, fans and nearby street), somehow uncharmful.

good for a cheap night while travelling through, by far the cheapest around this town with booking.com, the staff lady was friendly with is a big plus at such places. theres also a (poorly stuffed) kitchen and a microwave.

Old. Air conditioner was extremely noisy.

Old. Air conditioner was extremely noisy. There was a smell in the room. We paid way too much for the room as most hotels were booked out. Its not worth paying more than 50 to stay here.

• Reviewed: 9 August 2016

HORRIBLE!!!!

Staff nowhere to be found at 7am. Paid $167 for this room property housed what seemed to be actual residents so having them get drunk, bbq and blast their music isnt what I paid so much money for!

• Reviewed: 28 July 2016

6.0
    Comfortable bed, nice TV, microwave and refrigerator, good...

The lady at the front desk was courteous only. No smile, nothing pleasant. The parking is inadequate. The spaces are too close together. We were in a corner room and we couldn't park in front even once as someone else was parked there the entire time. Only one entrance/exit. Had to wait for someone in the office to move their vehicle before we could exit the property.

Comfortable bed, nice TV, microwave and refrigerator, good a/c. Quiet property.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

The worst motel we stayed in during our whole Californian roadtrip

This was by far the worst motel we stayed in during our whole Californian roadtrip. It's overpriced, in a bad neighbourhood just by the big road, and the room was quite dirty and very noisy. Our toilet was broken and kept flushing water. We called the staff to our room and showed them the problem - they had a short look at it and proclaimed that "we can't do much about it now as we don't want to disturb you, we'll look at it tomorrow". Well it disturbed our sleep the whole night as we only stayed for a day - and we didn't even get any kind of compensation for the disturbing noise! DON'T stay at this motel as it is overpriced, dirty and has such poor service. Probably all the other motels in Oxnard are better - or even go to Ventura instead, that's a much nicer city.

Nothing was good about this motel

• Reviewed: 23 July 2016

It was ok for the price on the weekdays during my stay

I had a Amazon Fire stick with me but the hdmi output wasn't connected to the tv but they had wifi.

They had fridge and microwave on a king deluxe room

• Reviewed: 19 July 2016

Not worth more than $70 a night
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

It was WAY overpriced. The location was in a very seedy area. We tried to cancel when we arrived because we didn't feel safe. The said "no refund" so we stayed. The room was crammed with furniture. You could barely walk. I can't believe they get away with charging $195 a night.

Terrible

Bed Pillow Terrible neighborhood Rude owners

Someone came banging on my door at 5am and when I brought it...
    • King Studio with Spa Bath

Someone came banging on my door at 5am and when I brought it up to the woman at the front desk she was like "oh".

Excellent place

Nope

The managers here are always very nice.
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

Room a little too smoky smelling

The managers here are always very nice.

It's right next to highway, therefore very loud during...
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

It's right next to highway, therefore very loud during night.

It was excellent.
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

Too short of a stay.. lol!! 😆

It was excellent..

Large bedroom.

Bed was too soft.

Large bedroom.

Comfortable, pleasant surprise as it is a smaller older...
    • Double Room with Two Double Beds

Comfortable, pleasant surprise as it is a smaller older motel. Would stay again . Perfect for a one night trip.

nothing.

that they charged me a $50. deposit fee and kept it saying the room smelt like cigarette smoke . I DO NOT smoke.....

nothing....

Woke up well rested
    • Deluxe King Room with Kitchen

An ice machine n vending machines.

Greeting was excellent. Very much appreciated.,🤣

It was a short and quiet stay which was ok

The bed and the refrigerator was wobly.

The bed was uncomfortable

Clean and Basic
    • Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds and Kitchen

No dislikes. I got what I expected for the price.

The price and friendly registration

Great place for the value.

internet was unusable.

1960's California motel. Room had crown molding and classic stylings...

Dont plan to stay there again

Dont plan to stay there again

I was nice.

I didn't like the mattress. It was too soft.

The location. Restaurants are near .

Needed a clean, safe and inexpensive place to stay. And this location met those needs

Coffee not available until 8:30am. Mattress too soft

It was worth the price and I highly recommend for last minute travels

Location and staff could do a lil better.

Great value big room

It was a last minute stay that was available and I felt safe. My car was safe too! Thank you:)
    • Standard King Room - Smoking

I think the microwave was not working

Managers very nice staff friendly Quiet room with bathtub!!

It was very pleasant and I felt safe.

Breakfast not included

Bed was very comfortable and the wifi