Reviews of The Palmer House Hilton 4 stars

17 East Monroe Street, Chicago Loop, Chicago, IL 60603, USA

#99 of 146 hotels in Chicago

5.2

The snack bar in the room was ridiculous. All snacks lay on triggers which if disturbed automatically resulted in a charge to the room/bill. Not classy! Also, because the hotel was more concerned with making an extra buck than customer comfort, satisfaction & convenience, there was no ability to use the fridge (it was filled with over-priced drinks)

Historic facilities & very well kept. Cleaning staff were kind & friendly.

• Business King Room

Somehow we missed info on reserving parking in advance, maybe that was booking .com's fault or we just did not see a notice we should have. The noisy business crowd can fill up the giant lobby at happy hour but that's the price of a popular place.

Love the lobby bar area, so elegant and old school. Room was spacious, well appointed, bed comfy and ventilation easy to control. Loved amenities on executive level especially express elevator & large breakfast. Primary goal this trip was the Art Institute which is a 5 minute walk! Concierge helped us find the perfect dumpling place not listed in all the apps!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access

Did not like the snack and minibar. Would much prefer the room have a refrigerator for guest use, and a coffee maker. Bathroom was dirty- especially the floor edges and corners- hairs on the floor. The toilet was dirty under the rim- could see it plainly when I bent to pick a towel up off of the floor. The wall in the sleeping area had a loose edges pice of wallpaper that apparently had been put up to cover something.

Location. History of the hotel. Decor of most areas-however, the blue neon bar looks out of place in the lounge.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Great location to the Red and blue line. Down the street from Millennium Park and lots of festivals happen there in the summer. Easy to walk to the river or Lake Michigan. Friendly helpful staff.

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

We stayed in a handicapped room and the shower water spilled out onto the floor. Dangerous! The enclosure was not sealed so who knows what is growing underneath the shower. It was gross and needs to be repaired. Bacteria grows in warm dark moist places.

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

Bed was comfortable but overall cleanliness was not good blinds were black with dust just very dated. Prices for incidentals were extreme e.g peanuts in the room $10 KitKat $3.50 excellent facilities and service should not mean rip your guests off any chance you get this was shuppose to be four star but certainly did not meet that category

Our room was in desperate need of an upgrade. Sockets didn't work and paint falling off everywhere.

Great location, helpful staff and lovely lobby and bar.

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

Amenities in room were lacking. No refrigerator except the one stacked with expensive items. No coffee maker until I asked. No room service except for dinner. Overcharged for the third weekday night of stay. Toilet not cleaned well.

Excellent location. Room and bed were comfortable. Staff was friendly and helpful.

What a treat to stay in a older hotel with such a fabulous lobby and rooms that were VERY clean! My handicapped access bath was completely up-to-date with clean tile everywhere and a walk-in shower. The room furnishings were classic 1960’s — a brass-and-glass coffee table so heavy I could hardly lift it — the real thing. If you have to have everything new, this isn’t the place for you. If you like atmosphere, history, as well as very clean accommodations at a great rate, Stay Here!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Internet is not free in the rooms.

The architecture is incredible. The main lobby is particularly stunning. Great location, seconds from the metro and minutes from the park and the lake.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was small and did not have the old-world character that I experienced during previous says at the Palmer House. That was disappointing.

Lobby remains very impressive. Staff was attentive and helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Walls are thin - the room next door was very loud when they got back at 1:40 in the morning. It interrupted sleep for us both. My daughter though I had turned on the TV! I did not complain, but instead turned on white noise to drown out the noise.

Beautiful hotel, excellent service, right next door to the theatre, and wonderful bellman service to store luggage before and after the trip.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The cleaning lady throw away few bottles with water, my cosmetics think ( or just still). My son forgot his tablet, we contacted the hotel no one responded.

Location just ok

Wifi was not complimentary and I had some issues with connecting after paying. It would be great if they could improve that.

Staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. I could easily get assistance by texting to the message that I received at check-in. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Location is awesome- the hotel is located right in the heart of the loop, so it is close to many attractions in the city. It is also close by a few L stations, it can't be easier to travel around from the hotel.

• Business King Room

Our bed was not terribly supportive. The bathrooms in the executive class are quite small for two people. I assume they are usually used by people traveling solo.

We love the staff. Everyone is cheerful and helpful no matter their position. The executive class rooms are nicely appointed and fairly roomy.

This is the third time I've stayed at this hotel & the check-in line was a nightmare every time, at varying hours. My Despite being a Hilton Honors member I didn't get points.

The location was great. The gentlemen in the baggage check area were very friendly and extra helpful.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathrooms needed to be cleaned from top to bottom. I found the baseboards where covered in dust, th toilet seat cover and top of the toilet were dirty, and the walls had hair, stains, and makeup/blood on them.

The walls are paper thin; WE stayed in room 254 on the 18 floor, and my wife and I could actually hear the conversation taking place form the people staying next door(255) to us, way past midnight.

The comfort of the bed!

Location. I have stay st the Palmer house years ago and it was better maintained

I guestion the cleanings of the room and bathroom. I wiped the floor in the bathroom and the towel became filthy dirty. Door and floor boards dirty. At 8 in the morning the cleaning lady was screaming good morning and woke both my husband and I up. We were hoping to sleep until 9;30. Since we did that 30+ mike bike ride the day before.

Rooms are showing wear. Our nightstand had a chunk of wood out of it and the room although tidy and clean, the bathroom could use a good intensive clean, dirt in corners, shower curtain worn, floor looked like it needed a good scrubbing.

Food was good and prices comparable with other restaurants around town.

It appears on my return to Australia and checking my credit card I was overcharged by the hotel when I booked it through booking.com and asked for Aud $ I was quoted a price for the 2 night stay however the hotel has charged me $300 more than what was advertised on booking.com and the email confirmation from booking.com Feel we were deceived and ripped off Intending to follow this up with both parties.

The size of the room was large for a twin bed room The foyer and bar area was beautiful But the rooms were a little bit run down needed painting etc

Outdated baths, low quality of the towels, super dark room, you can spot bath was not as clean as it it supposed to be for 4 stars Hilton, a big nonsense in the room-there was a big closet however when you enter to take some of your clothes door is shutting down and there is not light inside, also on the second day they put some microwave on the desk which was not there on the first. Although these are not big things, you could find better deal for your money

Location is superb, close to everything

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Beds were not comfortable

Second stay here. Though if I got the "executive suite" it would be a little more luxurious. Not so much. Beds were uncomfortable, same as last time. Location is great and staff is wonderful. Will probably stay somewhere else next time

• Executive Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our so-called executive suite (room 208 on the 23rd-floor) had absolutely no facility for a leisurely seat to watch TV or read a book. There was only a small desk and office chair which was not comfortable. However since most of our activities were outside of the hotel, I would judge the room to be adequate on a bare-bones basis.

The staff at the concierge desk, and at the free breakfast buffet were awesome!

The restaurant Lockwood was too expensive. $98 for two people without drinks or appetizers is too much for a hotel restaurant. The other choice called Potters was not good, reminded me of airport food!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Considering we paid almost $2000.00 for 3 nights, it was way overpriced for the lack of amenities included. No wifi, no functional pool, etc. The television was glitchy and the bathroom was tiny. It was not particularly clean.

I liked the location. The room was very quiet.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

No glasses in the room. Called housekeeping, but no one brought any. Asked at the front desk and he gave us bottles of water. No coffee maker in the room.

Comfortable bed. Good size room. Quiet.

When we had our showers, first thing in the morning, it took several minutes for the hot water to kick in. Our room was on the 13th floor so perhaps the hotel facility manager needs to investigate why we didn't have hot water immediately upon turning on the shower. We travelled with our adult daughter and son-in-law. Above in the survey I had to click on "friends" because they are well over 18! You need to add another category that just states family.

Every concierge, on duty during our four night stay, was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It made our daily sightseeing planning all the more easier.

Fabulous location close to Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago. Outstanding historical character. Very comfortable bed. Super helpful concierge desk.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

very unfriendly service and uncomfortable beds. The noise from elevator was extremely loud, can hear from my room all night long I could not sleep at all. I went Chicago many times and this was the worst hotel I have ever stay.

The location was fine

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool Closed 4 Construction and Wasn't Posted on websites otherwise very Beautiful Hotel with Great Older Feel of the Day's of God's People Practicing praise Back to The Lord With Pictures Of Angels And Heavenly Art work on Ceilings!!! Quite Amazing###!!!!

Location and Style of old Chicago Construction Skills And Ageless Beauty!!!!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room was too crowded...that is, the room should have had one bed, but had two so it was too crowded. There was no room to get to the bathroom. The TV was at a weird angle so you couldn't watch it from the bed. Worst room I can remember. We stayed at this hotel the week before, paid less for a room and had a much better experience.

The historic nature of the hotel. Check in was easy.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a roach on the bathroom counter. Would be good to have a hot water kettle in room to have a hot drink. Elevators took a really long time to arrive and then were full.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

We stayed there twice in the past week. Our room on our first stay was excellent. Our room on our second stay was inferior and definitely not worth the price we paid - nor did it look like the pictures of a room with two beds. It was far smaller than the pictures indicate - there was not enough room for the furniture in that room. The second room also had issues - the faucets were loose, the outlets on the lamp didn't work.

The beautiful lobby area - the historic nature of the hotel - the historic artwork. The beds are comfortable, the rooms are clean.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There’s no coffee maker in the room unless you ask for it. The shower head is not so good, the water is too spread. The sink is too small.

Convenient place, close to nearly all the tourist places.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Inadequate lighting, no magnifying mirror in the bathroom, very small bathroom, long waits for elevators, having to pay for wifi is absurd. At this point all other hotels I stay in have free wifi. Staff is not aware of wifi policies. Excessive hold for minibar.

Large room, comfortable bed.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Check in was a little lengthy, but it didn’t dampen the stay. Parking on site was a little confusing....

Luxurious hotel. Excellent walking proximity to CIBC Theater. Staff sent us a cheese/cracker/brownie plate which was so appreciated!

No breakfast included even after an upgrade. Had to pay extra for WiFi - it’s a shame as that should be basic nowadays. Anyway, there’s Starbucks and Freshii (good breakfast) in the building and they have free WiFi.

We had a very big room with amazing king bed! Great location and helpful staff.

The hallway to are room was dirty and had dental floss and other papers on the ground for the five days I was there.

Location and atmosphere was great.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

A view!! We were on the inside....but it was quiet.

Traveled with my daughter. We loved the two bathrooms. Appreciated the doormen who helped with UBER. We especially loved the art, the ceilings and the decor in the lobby.

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

The windows in our room were dirty on the inside and unpleasant to the touch.

Tatyana at the front desk was super pleasant and helpful,as was the concierge. Loved sitting in the beautiful upstairs lobby. Great location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

This hotel is historical and beautiful, but for being the longest operating hotel in US history, you think they would have things figured out by now. 1. Beds are too small. We booked a room with two beds. They were both doubles. With three people it just was too cramped. I heard that king beds aren’t real king beds either. Instead, European queens. 2. No fridge in room. (They included an overpriced in-room mini bar instead). Almost all hotels, even the more run down ones include a fridge. This should be a standard by now. It was disappointing to go out to eat such expensive food in the area and not be able to store leftovers. The hotel offers storage of left overs elsewhere, but I want to be able to access them at my convienience. We thought about taking out the stuff in the mini bar for temporarily storing our left overs but there are sensors on the items, so once removed you are charged for consumption of that item. REPLACE mini bars with fridges! Gave my food to the homeless instead. 3. No counter space in bathroom. Bathrooms are older, so to make up for this I would recommend that they place a small table just outside of bathroom for placing bathing items on (toothbrush, etc). The full length mirror on the bathroom door was nice. 4. No view. Our room, as well as the looks of many others were facing each other. Couldn’t open the window blinds without fear of being peeped on in all directions. (14th floor room 108). 5. Wallpaper coming off in places. 6. TV didn’t get signal on a rainy night. 7. Pool is closed for renovations until 2019! One of the reasons we booked this hotel was for the pool. We knew it was going to rain so we were planning on going swimming during this time. 8. Towels were located on a shelf IN the shower. They got damp. 9. The over priced shops on street level just under the lobby took away from the charm. 10. Everything is overpriced. Even the basic rooms they try to get you with extra charges.

The atmosphere of the hotel was nice. Had a nice 1930’s feel. Good breakfast with the breakfast package (but no waffles offered).

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

Problem with door lock never fully resolved. Key often wouldn't function and had to call security to get back in room.

Classic Chicago Loop hotel -- great place to stay. The quality service you would expect.

There was human feces in the first room, which my daughter stepped her barefoot in. The second room they put us in the restroom was filled with pubic hair. They did come up to clean it while we were out. Only leaving a few hairs behind. The woman in the lobby selling jewelry couldn't have been ruder.

I wish there was at least instant coffee in the room. Also, the shower ceiling needs some new paint, or a water resistant sheet.

It was nearly 2am by the time I got to the Palmer House. I could not find my drivers license, and after going thru ** security 4 times I was terrified it was lost. The night staff checked me in anyway and gave me the chance to look through my belongings in my room without pressure. The room was immaculate (no stray hairs or lint)- shampoo, conditioner, soap- even a shower cap. Plenty of towels, and even a "house tablet" I especially liked the easily accessed outlets (like the one on the nightstand lamp base) so I didn't have to go crawling around on the floor.

We made reservation due to its proximity to see Hamilton. We didn’t realize how close it wasto everything else. 2 blocks to art museum, 15 min walk to Michigan ave and shopping. The hotel also had a fantastic Magic show under roof, which we enjoyed immensely. We now consider this OUR hotel, and will always stay here when we come back to visit Chicago. Also, it has the fastest Starbucks that I have ever been to!

I am sure you get this a lot, but the breakfast rush hour waiting on the elevators is frustrating. We were on 18 and finally figured out that the way to get to the lobby was to take the elevator up to 23, stay on, then ride it down, because it never stopped at 18 to pick up the poor souls we left waiting there.

Grand classic hotel and the location is perfect.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very charming hotel. In the lobby, day and night there was always many people due to the multiple events happening in the hotel. This creates a very urban atmosphere. The location is fantastic to explore Chicago.

• Business Double Room with Two Double Beds

the people that works in the reception in the afternoon , they had no idea of what they were working with ..

The very good breakfast and very nice staff at breakfast

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The staff was rude and slow, the price was too high for what I received, and they tried to charge us for every little thing. Parking, internet service, everything. Nothing was included even though they claimed parking would be available...I ended up having to park 2 blocks away and walk in. I think the overall rudeness bothered me most. I will not stay here again. The Hilton on Michigan is WAY better for the money. This place was a bit of a joke.

The room was clean...that's about it.

• Double Room Two Double Beds with Roll in Shower - Disability Access

Ethics of putting us in a room which sounded like we were in a tube station in the underground, msuch was the noise of the elevators, and expecting complaints which would then be acted on. Fridge was magnetic so not usable as there would be charges if opened. Only one device could be wi fi in room

Location, size of room and bathroom

The shower and bathroom was poorly designed and shower had terrible pressure. No ventilation in bathroom. The room was small and not much for the price paid

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had large room with 2 bathrooms. Very comfy beds. Continental breakfast was very good. Liked private dining area. So convenient to tourist sites and L Line and restaurants.

Room was unkept - electrical boxes hanging off the wall and wallpaper in the bathroom was falling off too. Generally sense that the property is not well maintained. The hotel also charges for every little extra, WIFI, minibar is expensive and has no price list, valet parking $74 per day (plus taxes) and no other option as the hotel car park was full. You can easily spend an extra $100 per night in hidden charges.

The hotel wasn't up front about the pool renovations. Didn't notice until after I booked my stay without ability to cancel.

Comfortable stay for the price. Upgrade included drink tickets.

For our 1 night stay, the shower head water pressure good, the bed comfortable, lobby bar service pleasant and quick. That's all we needed. And Palmer House delivered cordially and efficiently.

Everything has an extra price tag even you have booked the room. Had to ask everyday for kettle and coffee. Should have been complementary and should have been refilled by default.

Interior decor was amazing

Old hotel worndown, personnel professional but not warm/friendly, swimming pool closed without notice in booking! Reception didn t care.

Location central next millenium park

There was nothing I didn’t like. I just wasn’t sure we’re the ice machine was but was fine with the fridge in my room

The fact that it’s right down by all the stores that I love and it’s not that far of a walk from union station. You come up the escalators into the open concept dinning hall that is breathtaking.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Super expensive hotel for the trash room we got we look in to the center of the hotel all ugly looking. Our room was dusty ... and the pool was close $600 +later no thanks

What I liked about the Palmer’s House Hotel was how professional and nice the staff were. I travel with my friend for my birthday weekend and the site of the hotel is breathtaking. Located in the loop and close to everything. Everything was in walking distance including millennium Park. One of the employee gave me the original brownie that was created in the Palmer house for my birthday. Rooms are always clean before we get back to our rooms. The staff was very caring, an incident happened outside of the hotel on our last day, and the bell men came to check on us to ensure that we was okay, and even reserved our room for us in case we needed somewhere to stay. You will not regret staying at this hotel.

I didn't like the fact I couldn't use my Hilton Honor points because I booked the room through some site that I wasn't aware of the consequences.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is beautiful but I feel it's a little past it's prime. I feel like a few renovations are in order!

Everyone was very friendly and the room was clean!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

very expensive breakfast and coffee room at bottom of closed innercourt was without daylight, dark and noisy natural ventilation was noisy, airconditioning too long walk to room extremely small bathroom, only place for thin people

best position in town, all trains and buses within 500m!! many important buildings, parcs, coast, in walking distance impressive outside and entrance very friendly reception in front of front desk timeless chicago style large closets for cloth and luggage, larger then bathroom! 2 separated double beds were good

There was a really weird buzzing noise, and it was only fixed if we turned on the air conditioning.

The hotels bathroom tub was ginormous!! I loved it. The location was also amazing. We were in chicago to see Hamilton and it was right down the road!

Noisy and slow elevators, noisy door slams, maintenance needed in bathroom (wallpaper peeling), bathroom floor not as clean as it could be, uncomfortable seating.

Beautiful decor, comfortable bed, convenient location, great staff and service, ease of check-out

The room was pretty small.

The hotel staff was very nice. The breakfast was good, with a wide choice (from eggs and sausages to yogurt and fruits). The location is excellent - close to all the major attractions and public transport.

We knew they had a pool, but when we arrived we were told it was under construction. I wish there was some sort of notification before I booked. Disappointed that there was not a mini fridge in the room.

Location and it's Absolutely Gorgeous! Ease of access, entrances on 3 streets. Close to public transportation. The gym is very nice, checking in and out was easy and efficient.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds and Bath Tub - Disability Access

Nil

The lobby is piece of art💕 the staff extremely friendly and the hotel location excellent, the millennium park, cloud gate, sky deck and the magnificent mile ( Chicago avenue) only few block away

• King Room with Bath Tub - Disability Access

A kettle would have been nice.

The location is really excellent, close to the underground and busses. The room and the bathroom were nice and large. The bed was really confortable. I have very much appreciated that I could open the window.

The room, the least expensive, provided a tiny double bed, a view of the rooms across the courtyard, and bright light entering from too big of a space under the door. The bathtub is difficult to describe- it is spungy, and dangerous. You feel like you are on a rocking boat. You have to hold on while showering. I’m thinking the floor under is not solid or has collapsed. Also the maids woke us up cleaning rooms at 7:00am— that was very irritating. The Starbucks in the basement is not a stand alone Starbucks. My wife was charged over $6 for an iced tea. A portion of the $1 because she declined water in the iced tea. There is a stand alone Starbucks a block away.

The hotel is a step into tradition and elegance. The lobby ceiling is breathtaking and offers ample comfortable seating. The lobby and retail basement is spacious. The underground parking is secure and convenient. The restaurant offers a variety of seating configuration options. The staff is friendly and professional. The menu offers good selection, pleasant presentation, at reasonable prices for downtown Chicago. Our selections of salmon and scallops were delicious.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room small, no coffee maker unless u ask, don't need 2 refrig. With one full of junk and way way overpriced and the dust on all the stuff was an inch thick

Bed was very comfy and shower head was great.

All we heard in our room was the elevators and it was so loud we couldn’t sleep at night. The beds were so uncomfortable and the air in our room didn’t work so it was very hot.

The lobby was cool

We looked up hotels which have pools, but their pool has been closed for months, and they never let us know. Its still closed yet they advertise to have indoor pool.

Historic charm and location

Walls between our room and the next room were very thin. In my opinion, too thin for a hotel of this caliber and expense. We could hear EVERYTHING going on in the next room at 1:00 am!