Reviews of The River Inn-A Modus Hotel 4 stars

924 25th Street Northwest, Northwest, Washington, DC 20037, USA

#31 of 138 hotels in Washington

• Studio Queen

No sports room or other frills, rooms getting dated, but good value. Bar closes very early.

Great staff and super location in DC. Restaurant is quite good, attracts non-guests as well.

• Studio Queen

The kitchenette was handy but did not have any cooking pots even though there was a stove top and a microwave. The hotel breakfast was pricy.

The location wax very good for all the museums on The Mall. Easycaccess to the Metro too. The room was quite comfortable though a bit small.

• Studio Queen

The bathroom was not adequately cleaned; the previous guest had shaved in the shower and that fact was obvious to us. The refrigerator also had someones chinese takeout left in it.

The rooms were spacious, which was helpful if like us you had lots of luggage.

• Studio Queen

location is not the best for restaurants and shops but quiet and nice anyways.in good weather, promiximity with the river side walk can be a plus having a kitchen is a plus too

super friendly and efficient staff

• Studio Queen

The hallway smelled of a recent moisture problem but was not bad. The late night front desk attendant was extremely rude during our check in.

The neighborhood was lovely and I felt safe my entire stay.

• Studio Queen

The huge hike in the price from Sunday to Monday.

The front desk people were fantastic. For example, I had to print out a text. They did it for me and it was waiting for me at the desk. I corresponded w them also about the best way to get to the hotel. And overall they were friendly and accommodating. My omelet at the restaurant was indeed very fluffy and the attendant most helpful with all sorts of questions, and w my rush. I liked the layout of the room, w space for work a bit separate and the kitchen. I loved the neighborhood and the Trader Joe nearby. The only reason I didn't rate the value for money as excellent it is because the rate for the Monday stay went up exponentially. The reason I answered 'other' concerning the goal of my trip is because it was both for business (on Monday) and for leisure (over the w/e).

• Studio Queen

Very good hotel in good location. Had both dinner and breakfast during my stay and both were excellent meals. Hotel facilitated a late departure storing my luggage and providing a space to wash and change my clothes before departing for my flight.

• Studio Queen

At booking-in, we were offered an 'eco deal' which we thought meant that the bedding and towels wouldn't be replenished or the room cleaned during our three night stay. We hadn't realised that it really meant that the room would not be serviced at all, ie no replenishment of tea/coffee consumables or toileteries. For the deal we were offered two free drinks. Had we understood this offer, we would not have accepted it and certainly, in our case, it didn't represent value for money as we had to buy the additional items we needed. Clearer explanation at check-in (or bigger brains than ours) would help!

We loved the location of this hotel in a quiet street very close to the Kennedy Center and Georgetown and within easy walking distance of the museums, the White House, the Lincoln Memorial and the National Mall. We appreciated the space in the room and the provision of a small and relatively well-equipped kitchen with a huge fridge, hob, microwave and ample crockery and cutlery. Given that this was our fourth hotel during our US stay and that we had eaten out for the previous 10 days, it was great to be able to prepare our own meals and to have cold drinks at hand. There was ample storage space and, joy of joys, room to put out our toileteries in the bathroom. We love Washington and would certainly return to the River Inn - we've already recommended it to others!

• Studio Queen

There is a kitchen in the room which I am very grateful to have, but it was very “dated”, meaning, the cabinet door is peeling and the drawer would not open without some force. Small imperfections but this is such a great hotel, I really hope it becomes perfect.

It is everything I need for this trip and more.

• Studio Queen

We were shocked when we got to this hotel - to me the interior was too poor for a 4 star hotel and for the price we paid. But the worst was the service - after we had checked in and got to our room we found out that the room type was changed. No one had notified us about that earlier. The receptionist later told us that this should be considered as an “upgrade”. We decided to go to the other hotel late in the night because this service wasn’t worth the money they asked. Nobody has even apologized for this situation.

Really nothing!

We loved the location. Quiet and pretty area and only a couple of minutes walk to Foggy Bottom station. The historic area of Georgetown is just a ten minute walk away as well; worth a visit. Staff at the hotel are very friendly and efficient. We came in on an overnight flight from San Diego and were delighted to find our room was ready and waiting at 10am for a very early check in. The room was very spacious and comfortable; the bed was comfy too.

• Studio Queen

Perhaps the kitchen could be stocked a bit more - utensils, cups, plates, pots...

Friendliness of staff at all levels, goes to the excellent management style. Love the old style European feel for the building, and even though older, very clean and well kept. Quiet residential street; safe, security is a priority. Restaurant, small but very good food. Love the afternoon complimentary wine & cheese plate.

• Studio Queen

Air conditioning did not work/stopped working. At 10 p.m., we were not about to call staff to have someone come and fix it after a tiring day exploring D.C. on foot. Only warm air came out of the ducts. we tried everything, tried adjusted the stat to every position. Thermostat was unresponsive. As a result, me and my family had a horrible night's sleep. Got no sleep at all. The bed was also inadequately small for a 200+ lbs. adult and a large 13 year old boy. They set us up in a tiny queen when the booking stated two separate beds or a king size.

Good location. Good restaurant. Good staff.

• Studio Queen

The message light on my phone blinked throughout my three days. I could neither access the message nor turn off the blinking. And no one on staff seemed to know how to do either... I opted out of the house-cleaning option. That was fine but the $5-per-day savings is too low...

Relaxing...Parking the car was easy... Quiet...

• Studio Queen

The kitchenette in the room was a bit dated. But other than that is was very convenient.

Nice Hotel reasonably priced, friendly staff, super easy and smooth check in and out. The room was nice and clean and I love the fact that the windows could open. Overall great stay.

• Standard Double Suite

The kitchen was very good sized but under equipped with utensils, pans, etc. No sharp cutting knife, only one fork, no bowls for cereal, one frying and one saucepan. No towel to dry dishes. We made do though, and the staff were so helpful and accommodating that I know if we had asked for these things, they would have supplied them. We just didn't feel like bothering with it.

Suite was laid out very nicely, very spacious. Really liked having big windows, both front and back, we opened them and had a beautiful breeze coming through the rooms. We liked having the hotel on a quieter street so close to many things.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Parking was an extra $42/night but given that we were in the middle of Washington DC, that was not unexpected. On the plus side the valet was able to park and retrieve our car very quickly.

The room was excellent, the king bed very comfortable. The kitchen facilities were a nice touch and if we had stayed for more than the weekend we would have made us of them. The hotel is a 5 minute fro the Foggy Bottom Metro station/GW University. The staff was very friendly.

• Studio Queen

WiFi connection was dropping constantly and re-connection was a hassle.

Great location near the Foggy Bottom Metro stop. Hotel was clean with many modern upgrades. Kitchenette was a plus!

• Studio Queen

The building is old styled but they have maintained everything perfectly..

Awesome. Extremely friendly staff , everything was just superb , would definitely stay here again... 10/10 rating ...

• Studio Queen

Wi-Fi wasn't as good as expected. The treadmills in the gym needs some servicing.

The rooms were very clean. The staff were prompt and nice to the guests. The location was wonderful.

• Studio Queen

There was a wonderful woman at the reception her name is perhaps Musak (maager, please correct me if I am wrong),besides being extremely welcoming and helpful,my colleague arrived after a very long flight and she did her very best and got him a very early check-in. Thank you!

• Studio Queen

The hotel was amazing, very clean rooms, the kitchen and coffee maker were perfect addition to the room. The happy hour is a great idea, great wine, super nice staff, the food was great, I will totally stay there again

• Studio Queen

There isn't anything to dislike about this place. It's in a quiet, walkable neighborhood, yet two blocks from the Foggy Bottom Metro station and within walking distance of the Lincoln Memorial.

This was our second stay at the River Inn. Based on value, location, excellent staff, and comfortable room, we would never stay anywhere else when visiting D.C.

• Studio Queen

Small kitchen, bit outdated, but serves its purpose. I don’t like Shower curtains, it’s so cheap. Took some time before the water was hot.

Nice and big room. Walking distance from foggy bottom metro station and supermarket. Right between Georgia and Washington DC center. Comfy bed.

• Studio Queen

A quiet, comfortable spot in the Foggy Bottom area of DC. The rooms include a small kitchenette for breakfast when you don’t feel like waiting in the Starbuck’s line or want to cook up a little something more. The rooms are good sized, clean and well kept. The facility has a boutique feel, is safety secure (door concierge and key-only elevator), with pleasant but not overly engaging staff. It’s about an 8 minute walk from the Foggy Botton Metro.

• Standard Double Suite

Too old the kitchen kit.

Received a complimentary bottle of wine and fruits n cheese plate when we enter the room. It made our day! Quite n comfortable! Reception staffs are Friendly and CUTE!

• Studio Queen

The rooms were just overly heated when first walking into them.

The room was spacious and pretty. The bikes being included is a great deal. Staffs quite friendly. They're right in foggy bottom which is convenient.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Our kitchen's pipes were frozen most of the trip which meant we were washing dishes in the bathroom sink - which was far from ideal. It was unseasonably cold outside, but not sub-zero so a bit surprising. Though the overall decor is quite new and in perfect condition, the kitchen is much older, though functional. It would be great if they upgraded the ancient cook-tops at some point.

This is our second trip to this hotel, and would return again! Hotel in great location, near a metro stop and walking distance to many sites, nestled on a quaint residential street. Staff a friendly, decor is great, room is large and upper floors have great views of Georgetown and the water. The convenient Whole Foods and Trader Joes meant our kitchen got lots of use!

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The fitness center was a bit pathetic -- 3 machines only and one set of weights. The restaurant on site was not great for breakfast.

Staff at front desk excellent. Room was spacious and lovely -- great deal.

• Studio Queen

The kitchenette was very minimally equipped. Many hotels, including this one, now offer an "opt out" for daily linen change, a bonus for the environment. We chose that option, but it meant that there was no replenishment of coffee capsules or trash removal. Staff responded promptly when those items were requested. A directory in the room would be helpful, to provide information about hotel and neighborhood amenities.

The room was attractively decorated, well-lighted, and comfortable, with a queen-sized bed and a sofa bed. The kitchenette was adequate to our needs, and the location, near GWU, was ideal. A metro stop is nearby, as well as a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's for stocking the kitchen. This is also a perfect location for attending events at the Kennedy Center, as there is a free shuttle to the Center at the Metro entrance.

• Studio Queen

Great service with a very early check in allowed for us after an over night flight. Staff very helpful and friendly. Amazing to have a kitchenette while traveling.

• Standard Double Suite

Bathroom didn't have a vent and window was in poor condition.

The amount of space is great, including a full kitchen, with coffee beans, a grinder and filters. The location is great for access to both Georgetown and the Kennedy Center.

• Studio Queen

Location a bit far from attractions, yet very convenient if you have light carry ons instead of luggages.

Large space, especially love the bathroom section and kitchen area.

• Studio Queen

Bathroom a little on the small side but thats really about it.

Friendly staff, Easy check in, great room , perfect location. 10/10 would come back again. Really good value for money. Kitchen in room is fantastic.

• Studio Queen

Love this hotel! I've stayed at the River Inn about 5-6 times throughout the recent years. Extremely professional, welcoming staff. The rooms are clean, comfortable, spacious and modern with a mini kitchen, which is very helpful with having your own food/drinks handy. Location is a couple blocks away to the Foggy Bottom metro. Super easy to commute and get around. I felt extremely safe and had a pleasant stay. Definitely my designated spot in DC when in town.

• Studio Queen

My first room was quite noise because of some Generator next door. I was moved quickly to a new and quiet room, though.

Great location and all the facilities you need

• Reviewed: 15 December 2017

• Studio Queen

The kitchen is great. I bought some food from the Whole Food market and cook my meal in the room. Also, the WiFi is free of charge and at high speed. The location is great, which is close to Foggy-bottom metro station.

• Studio Queen

It's located more in a residential section so we had to uber to get to shops and restaurants. If it was warmer we could have walked to a few resturaunts.

I love the room size, much bigger then expected and the best part was it had a kitchen which was nice because I had two kids with me. I also want to mention that the staff was exceptional, and very accomedating!

• Studio Queen

We spent 3 nights and referred to it as "home" because of its comfort, cleanliness and the way the staff treated us. Staying here has spoiled us and raises our bar of expectancy with other DC properties to try and match the River Inn.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

The restaurant in the building is excellent - be sure to inquire about making a reservation for dinner. We had room service breakfast and it was delicious, delivered on time and had everything we needed. Walking distance to Kennedy Center (10-15 minutes) and to the Phillips Collection (30 minutes). Nice neighborhood.

• Studio Queen

Extra comfy bed,spacious room equipped with everything (kitchen,big desk,sofa and closet) Good breakfast included Great location, and very close to metro station,buses,supermarket etc

• Studio Queen

I was very pleased with my stay here. We ate dinner and had breakfast at the restaurant on site. Everything was really delicious, recommend the crab cakes! Staff was so friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay again.

• Studio Queen

Chose the hotel as it had a bar on site but this closed at 10pm, generally poor opening hours for guests and not open Sunday evening. Had we known this we would not have booked this hotel. We were aware that we could order room service this was not the issue. We wanted the facility of a bar

Good sized room. Good WiFi. Comfortable bed. Good shower. Nice to have coffee making facilities and small kitchen.

• Studio Queen

Booking sent to me a letter " breakfast included and was not included with the extra cost of almost 30 U$S daily..not fair

The front office staffs are very helpful, spacious rooms and accomodations very good locations

• Studio Queen

Rooms facing alley have depressing view, feel dark.

great location, kitchen, easy access to Metro, Kennedy Center, George Washington University, Georgetown, nice walking neighborhood. Request room on floors 3 and above, facing Watergate, NOT alley.

• Studio Queen

For the cost we paid I expected it to be spotless. Our room was good and clean but the carpet was stained.

Location. Convenient for getting around Washington

• Studio Queen

Staff at this hotel were exceptionally friendly, helpful, and accommodating. Our adult son, who is on the autism spectrum, was readily welcomed; in return, he was extremely comfortable here, which was key to our four-night stay in DC.

• Studio Queen

The location was great, just a few minutes from Foggy Bottom metro. Room are comfortable. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The manager, Ian Crines, was great in looking after us when the water heating system maintenance was being carried out - he has a flair in dealing with people.

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Fridge was not on when we arrived.

Super room location and size for travel with pet. Front desk staff was attentive and cheerful. Great neighborhood! Dog park just yards away.

• Studio Queen

A/C a bit noisy and couldn't be switched off

Room with little kitchen to make breakfast. There is a supermarket close to Metro station to buy food. large room, hotel in nice area, river in short walking distance

• King Suite with Sofa Bed

Great location - seems like you're part of the Georgetown neighborhood, instead of a chain high-rise. Relaxed feel, and the restaurant on location was excellent.

• Studio Queen

The gas top in the kitchen was very old and so were the pots.

Room was spacious and the big windows let in a lot of light. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The kitchen in the room was very convenient. And the food at the restaurant was very good.

• Studio Queen

Very close to IMF/WB, and yet in a nice cosy area of the DC, walking distant. At least breakfast could have been included for this price, but it is true all the hotels in DC are very expensive. Free wifi is always great.

• Potomac King Suite

Nothing - it would have been nice to have some shelter outside for smokers when raining and cold - but not that important as the weather was mostly fine

Friendliness of the staff, clean hotel, convenient location.

• Studio Queen

There was very little I didn't like. It would have been nice to have an airport shuttle service and maybe a small convenience shop on the premises. Apart from those minor issues, it was a very pleasant, enjoyable stay.

The location was great - a quiet residential area close to George Washington University and to shops and services. I very much liked the diversity of customers, the friendly and helpful staff and the funky ambience of the hotel.

• Studio Queen

Automated air conditioning was very loud especially when shutting off.

Reasonably priced hotel in good location in respect to the Metro and Georgetown area. Hotel is also located in pleasant quiet street.

• Studio Queen

Air con in room 1107 made a loud clunking noise when it cut out, which meant I didn't sleep that great.

Great location near shops and Georgetown. Fantastic sized room with handy kitchenette including coffee. Extremely comfortable bed.

• Standard Double Suite

room dilapidated and in need of refurbishment, very high cost despite positive points

very large room, comfy bed, great restaurant, nice location in leafy part of the city, close to metro station

• Studio Queen

The continental breakfast had hard boiled eggs instead of scrambled eggs. I never saw anyone take any of the hard boiled eggs and I don't know anyone that likes them. Switch to scrambled.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Studio Queen

I think the rooms need some sprucing up - an update to the decor and touching up to paint.

We just needed a place to stay in town because we were going to a concert - the hotel was ideally located for that, but the hotel was much more affordable than closer options. I was surprised at how spacious the room was. The hotel staff were super nice and friendly. I was offered a drink at check in and the woman at the front desk made sure the valet had my car ready in the morning because I had to get to work.

• Studio Queen

Heat did not work. Not on for the season.

Bed was comfortable. Excellent pillows. Convenient to where I needed to go. Good restaurant for basic meals.

• Studio Queen

parking in the area is going to be bad regardless, try to avoid paying the $50/night valet if possible

excellent hotel, friendly and accompodating staff, full kitchen

• Studio Queen

it was too far from my destination and the room seem a lot bigger on photos. they also never told me I had to leave an extra 50.00 for deposit for room service and if we did not have it we were not able to get our room regardless if our room was already pain in advance

• Studio Queen

It was a little bit away from main sites but it's perfect if you want quiet. We used Capitol bikes to hire and get around.

It was down a beautiful leafy quiet street. Staff were very helpful. Great to see it is a dog friendly hotel.

Valet parking at $49 rather pricey

It's location in a quiet residential area made me feel more like a resident than a tourist. The suite was of a decent size with a well equipped kitchen. Everywhere was clean. It was exceptionally good value for money. Googled "restaurant near me" and quite a few popped up mostly within a ten minute walk from the hotel. Googled "pharmacy near me" and had the same result. The "Dish and Drinks" restaurant inside the hotel was a good option for meals.

• Studio Queen

pillows are old and not very comfortable

Quiet place, good environment, excellent staffs, great location, nice kitchen in studio. I like this hotel very much!

• Studio Queen

Our 2nd floor room was unbearably subjected to noise from the outdoor cafe seating, we got very little sleep.

The kitchenette was very nice and the room design was great.

• Studio Queen

It's definitely not a 4 star. Or maybe it was 20 years ago. Need to be renovated.

Good position. In between of Downtown and Georgetown. The Staff was extremely professional and kind. Room are big and (if you need it) there is a kitchen too...

• Studio Queen

location, location, and location. You can rent a bicycle (for free) to browse around the neighborhood, and to the Mall. It situated in a very pretty and calm and 5 min walk to Georgetown. The facility is clean, room was perfect (full kitchen included), and STAFF (thanks, Muska!) was very kind. Why not staying here again? I would love to!

• Studio Queen

I arrived back to my room at 5 pm (after having been out since 7 am) and the room still wasn't cleaned. The night before, the room next to mine was very noisy-slamming doors, loud talking- from 1-5 am.

• Studio Queen

They allow pets and our neighbors dog barked and cried for an hour. Hotel staff did take care of it eventually .uncomfortable pillows and sofa bed. Very dated rooms. Bar closes earlier than expected. On check out day, we went for early breakfast and came back to find housekeeping in our room cleaning when we had 2 hours left, we had to leave without showers. Because of this, absolutely use the dND door sign anytime you don't want them coming in.

Location is quiet and peaceful but just steps from the hustle of the big city. On site parking for a fee, secure building with a few outdoor tables to relax at.

• Studio Queen

The parking was too expensive. We used the valet for one car but chose a different garage for our 2nd car for 1/4 of the cost.

General set-up of the room with kitchen made the stay easy. We needed to keep things cold for an incoming college student.

Nothing really.

Very good breakfast, love the restaurant, very good location in Foggy Bottom out of the city but very close to Georgetown and easy to walk to all of the DC features (eg Mall, Capitol, Smithsonian). Staff were most helpful and friendly. Ambience of area if magnificent/relaxing but so close to all attractions but out of the the rush and hassle of the inner streets.

• Studio Queen

complimentary coffee by the lobby would have been nice. It is so beautiful to sit outside in the morning to read the paper and have a cup of coffee; but I felt awkward bring my coffee mug down from the room.

The staff was extremely helpful and very accommodating. It really felt like "My 2nd home.!" I loved the location, it was quaint; easily accessible to central DC, George Town and grocery store.

• Standard Double Suite

The location is a bit far from the center, but nothing that a short uber ride can't fix...

A very nice hotel. the rooms were spacious and clean. The facilities in the room were very helpful - we bought some groceries in a near by supermarket and had our own breakfast.