Reviews of The Standard, Downtown LA 4 stars

550 South Flower at 6th Street, Downtown Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90071, USA

#157 of 352 hotels in Los Angeles

• Medium Room

parking was $40. Staff were very rude. they answered questions as if bothered all the time, even over the phone. Many of them did not know the answer questions, such as recommendations, and pricing for guests about their night events. Requested for an upper level ahead of time and they gave me a room in the second floor and said they couldn't guarantee anything better even if i waited. One of the front staff even said guests had to pay to go up to the pool/ bar area. Their drinks were served in dirty hard plastic cups, and their beds were uncomfortable. I was very unsatisfied with the price I paid and the experience there.

The view was great going up to the rooftop!

• Medium Room

Great vibe, legendary Rooftop bar, very helpful staff. Rooms are very large and super comfortable. Very nice breakfasts in the lobby restaurant, also very friendly staff. Overall, for me the best place in Downtown LA for a comfortable and fun stay!

• Humongous Room

Difunctional room design that didn’t lend itself to comfort. Too sparse with only a bed, sink, toilet and shower head.

Staff is amazing from front desk to restaurants and roof top...even maintenance staff was very pleasant and helpful.

• Medium Room

Overall Fell below expectations! Checking in was a nightmare! A “Glitch” in your computer does not excuse the front desk from bad service...we waited in the lobby and they forgot about us! They promised drink tickets and weren’t given any. Dogs on my floor were barking/crying after I requested a non-pet floor. The roof top party was uneventful. The DJ played techno strange music all night ...guess this prevents dancing so why have a dance area? We stayed for one drink and left:( Their hotel policy to charge an EXTRA $150 (not a hold) for incidentals on your credit card and to be refunded 5-7 days should be against the law!

Quick elevators, Cool surrounding, Nice waiters in groundfloor restaurant. Check out is at noon.

• Wow Suite

Some staff were rude. Specific rules made it hard to do what I came for. The food was bad and service was slow when the restaurant was empty. The rooftop pool had strict rules about when to go up. Then I had an emergency yesterday and had to leave. Already wrapped up in my grandmas fall, I had to deal with extra fees from the hotel, not booking.com. Not at all sympathetic to my situation which really sealed the deal.

The valet guys. David was one of them he was nice and respectful. The boutique was cute and the experience with her was very nice.

• Medium Room

The room had a bit of a funky smell and the girls in the next room were pretty loud. Thin walls.

It's very young and trendy. Nice big towels. Cool rooftop pool area.

• Medium Room

The building is obviously an old office building and it has only been partially remodeled/updated. The bed is on a raised platform which caused us to trip occasionally. There was only one chair for sitting in the room. The fixtures in the room were damaged. Downtown LA has lots of loud vehicles but the hotel has no sound proofing, so the room was noisy. The pool is not intended for guests but rather for special events. The front desk staff seemed annoyed at each encounter. There are no written directions or signs for facilities.

The basic design of the room was convenient. Food service at the pool was good. Cute signs in the room were fun.

• Medium Room

Bathroom shower faces bedroom with a full plate of clear glass which makes it uncomfortable to shower. At least make it a glazed glass

Location was great

• Large Room

We stayed here because they had a bar at the top. We were charged to get in the rooftop although we were guests at the hotel. Everything was over priced and the staff treated guests poorly.

Comfortable bed.

• Medium Room

I didn’t like the location; not only is it hidden, & we passed a couple times. I thought downtown LA would be more things to do. But, we had to pay to take an Uber everywhere. I’m going stick with Burbank— as usual.

• Medium Room

Guests should have a priority/front of line access for the Rooftop Entrance. That was extremely disappointing.

My husband and I stayed here a day after our wedding. I'm an L.A. native, and have passed by it a million times, so we finally decided to stay for a night. It's a very posh, urban, retro vibe- no surprise, it is downtown after all. The staff seemed cool, but definitely not as welcoming as a lot of other hotels are. They didn't offer us help with bags or anything. Parking is $15 a day in a shared lot or $40-something for valet (ouch). Since it is in the heart of the city, not a surprise either. The elevators were really old, which I understand adds to the whole concept. The hallways were retro-vintage, and kind of creepy. The whole time it reminded me of the Hotel Cortez in season 5 of American Horror Story (the one with Lady Gaga). The room: Although it had cool retro look, it felt a little dated. The TV was tiny and old. The bathroom has a door but the shower walls are floor to ceiling glass so basically whoever is in your room can see you shower and pee. In our case isn't a problem, but maybe for other people it might be. The views were of course, great- can't be a good city view. Rooftoop: I was really looking forward to enjoying the rooftop, after all, this is one of DTLA's hot spots to go to, guest or not. However, while we were there, there was an event going on which required a $20 wristband. Later on after the event, the line was so long to get to the rooftop we didn't even want to wait. We asked if there was a special guest access/front of the line, but there wasn't. That was the one downfall for me, big time. Overall if you want that downtown vibe, the Standard is definitely a neat place to stay.

• Large Room

The restaurant wasn’t good. The hotel should haven’t to charge $20/hr for table tennis play for guests. There shouldn’t be a cover fee for roof top night club but there was.

The contemporary simple open style rooms. Especially the shower room. The bed was low perfect for various sex positions. The desk was at Percy height too for sex.

• Medium Room

Amazing Elite hotel. This is the rockstar hotel of LA. Hands down been coming here for years. And the best rooftop party on sundays. Great djs.awesome view. Smoking upscale crowd

• Large Room

Booking.com AND the hotel should be overt that this is NOT a kid accommodating place. Minors can use the Pool after noon on the weekends, this was a huge reason we stayed here! The beds were too soft and there was no where to hang our towels to save them so we didn’t waste water.

I liked the funky minimalist decor and the heated pool.

• Medium Room

The design of the room is completely out of date. Aesthetics very obsolete. The drain of the sink wasn't working properly.

Very good location in Downtown. It is a good place to stay for solo travellers as you can meet a lot of people on the rooftop, bar..

• Medium Room

Bed, glass bathroom, no luggage racks, only one chair, room service

Location, very well placed for downtown, near metro, restaurants. Staff were very helpful.

• Medium Room

The bed was as hard as a rock and the pillows were flat. When I told someone at the front desk I was in pain from not sleeping well (I was fighting back tears) they half-heartedly apologized and asked for payment. There was a stain on the carpet in our room that looked like feces or vomit. And the water pressure in the shower was almost non-existent. Seriously one of the worst nights sleep I’ve ever had!

Cool rooftop bar and pool. Interesting decor.

• Large Room

Staff was terrible and impolite it’s hard to people so full of themselves and not happy to answer customer question also they are lazy and nombrilistic because they pay more attention to watching themselves in the mirror than taking care of people waiting for check in I was really not impressed and so not up to the standard of such hotel Some of them should be fired because customer service is clearly not their forte Excessive rate for parking it’s 40 dollars when you already pay 30” hundred for a room it should be free or at least not a rip off

Fantastic view from the rooftop and great room really nice design nice and comfortable It’s a real nice hotel with a great design Also the location is perfect to wander around DTLS It’s central for that area

• Medium Room

The bathroom door was really hard to slide open and the cleanliness could be better.

Arriving late it was great to have a good restaurant and bar without having to go explore.

• Large Room

The staff! The roof top pool is not apart of the hotel so there no percs for being a guest at the hotel! Not enough pillows! The staff are rude I had to wait 45 minutes for towels to be sent to my room!

Notjing

• Medium Room

Pictures Deceiving! Hotel is outdated in the worse possible way. So are the interiors and the rooms. Cant really use the swimming pool because you have to go through the bar and you look like a clown with your bathrobe on when everyone is haveing a drink during or after work. Very pointless and disappointed. Silly opening hours too. Parking was super expensive. Dont use their parking. Go to the cabin 10m away and speak to the guys there and will give you better pricing. $15 overnight vs their $40-50. I would not recommend this hotel for tye money

• Medium Room

Pillows are way too soft. No bottled water provided. High turn-over of staff (saw new faces everyday at the reception) and they weren't very nice nor friendly.

Great location (walking distance to the Metro). Well-designed room with one of the best stocked mini-bar.

The rooftop bar isn’t easily accessible to guests. Must go out of the hotel, wait in line, etc. The bed was too low and the mattress below average. Check in was slightly inefficient but no big deal.

The suite was truly oversized and nicely designed.

• Medium Room

Bed pillows and linens were not my favorite.

Rooms are groovy fun...artfully curated hipster chic, playful. Rooftop beer garden is fantastic. Lots of fun to be had.

• Wow Suite

Bar manager was rude and harassing. I will never stay or visit this hotel again

Front desk staff Jenny was very professional and nice. Nice bartenders

• Medium Room

Staff could have been a little more friendly and a little less cool. It is a party hotel and was kept up all night by my neighbours, despite security intervening. Security were a bit bossy at times.

Design, look and feel. The restaurant was nice. Liked the modern bars and general vibe.

• Large Room

The staff was incredibly rude - from the front desk to the 24/7 restaurant, to the rooftop bar. They also refused to allow my friend and I up to our room with a 6 pack of Corona because they have a strict no-party policy. We had planned to order room service, and didn't want to pay extra for beers, he said the policy was also partly to ensure that we drink out of the mini bar. RIP OFF.

The hotel pool is cool.

• Large Room

Considering the reputation and price of the hotel I expected a much warmer reception from the front desk staff. My husband and I arrived at different times and neither of us were told about how we could make the most of the facilities including where the swimming pool or gym was located or when they was open, or the breakfast serving times and bar, or the hotel guest parking - we suspect we might have uneccessarily paid for that. Needless to say, we opted to not have breakfast at our hotel. We also encountered hostile greetings from bouncers when we were trying to acces our room which added to the feeling of not being very welcome. The decor is also looking a bit tired in places.

We had a large room which was very spacious with a huge comfortable bed and great shower.

• Wow Suite

The staff was horrible. Literally the worst staff of any place i've ever stayed. They kicked me out of my room because I had friends hanging out even though I was the only one staying there and there was 1 bag. They said they would refund me since they were kicking me out and just handed me a card to said and said get out. Even before this, the staff seemed high as hell and couldn't even talk straight. It was like an episode of the twilight zone.

Great, big room. Cool style.

• Medium Room

Bed was mediocre at best. Sheets were loose and moved around everywhere. Bed was super low to the ground and the room smelled a bit weird. Also, we were charged $30 for using the mini bar we didn’t touch. Got the money back but still an unnecessary nuisance.

Location is good and room has a quirky artsy feel to it. Especially with the bathroom wall looking into the shower being all glass. Food was wonderful but pricey.

• Wow Suite

I ran into only one small problem and spoke with the Hotel Manager Scott who first and most importantly was there and I was able to speak with him directly and two he listened, understood and resolved my problem creating an even better relationship with the hotel. That’s a rarity these day to talk to anyone in charge directly and not have to leave a message or be prompted to press 1 for this & 2 for that. A big Kudos to Scott for wanting every guest at the Standard to have the best experience during their stay as possible! Thank You!

• Large Room

The beds are not very comfortable, but I am spoiled. Also, I needed to turn the A/C on full blast to cool the room and it's the dead of winter. Again, though, I am spoiled.

I have to say having the shower in the middle of the room was quite an experience. I'm glad I tried this hotel.

• Medium Room

Surprisingly , There is no bed side table to place a watch , phone , spectacles etc before turning in ....

Overall ambience and service quality was top notch !

• Medium Room

No lobby bar, rooftop personnel is rude, get in 3 lines to get to the rooftop, even as a hotel guest, not as hip as they think it it. Room was too basic and fairly rugged to be honest. Not the modern luxury vibe from Miami Beach or Manhattan... Will not go back there, but opt for The Line or Ace next time.

• Medium Room

One of the front desk staffers wasn’t friendly or even nice. Not sure what her problem was but she shouldn’t be in the hospitality industry if she has an attitude just checking someone out.

The ping pong room and restaurant were excellent!! As was the rooftop :)

• Medium Room

Small rooms for the price. There was a dirty rag in the shower upon arrival. Parking sucks! 👎🏽 Rooms are already pricey parking should be available for registered guests!

Awesome location close to everything! Check in attendant was helpful and courteous. We were a little loud and didnt get a complaint. Thank God!

• Medium Room

We booked the room for two people but only found one of everything: one dressing gown, one set of ear plugs etc. And there was no free bottled water which you would expect from a more expensive hotel.

The bed was really big and comfy

• Medium Room

Quirky, atypical hotel, obviously geared to a hip young crowd. My wife and I are seniors, and were amused by the vibe. Some small complaints: a shower mat in our room's "see-through" shower stall would have been appreciated, as the shower floor was dangerously slippery (we used a towel as an impromptu mat). I would have liked a coffee maker in the room, too, and my wife (who has a bad back) would have appreciated the option of a firmer mattress (she ended up sleeping on the bed's platform -- I slid the mattress over to make room for her). Despite those complaints, The Standard offers a great location at bargain prices, a spectacular rooftop Beer Garden with stunning nighttime views and a quiet daytime space in the bustle of downtown L.A. The 24-7 hotel restaurant is also terrific. Staff friendly, helpful, and very personable. Finally: for fans of the old Raymond Burr PERRY MASON series that aired for many seasons in the late 50s to the mid 60s, THE STANDARD's facade served as Mason's downtown L.A. office building in location shots.

• Medium Room

The restaurant didn’t’ met my expectations (resp. the quality of the food didn’t met the price level).

I felt very comfortable in the hotel. It is stylish, but not wannabe-it’s perfect. It’s a pity that I must leave.

• Large Room

safe deposit for one night $150. No greetings on our honeymoon. The most unpleasant was the situation with fire alarm testing - the hotel couldn't find another time then on Saturday 09:45 AM, so disrespectful to guests, especially after rooftop party on Friday.

good location

• Medium Room

The view from hotel was awesome. Mini bar selections were really cool. Things to do around the hotel like ping pong. Rooftop pool and lounge area was unlike anything I’ve ever seen. Super cool. Room was very modern. Loved the whole experience.

• Medium Room

Problems with the wifi, electricity, tub and toilet. The room was noisy because of the rooftop party all nights.

The food was good. Decoration was cool.

• Humongous Room

Noisy construction outside, and noisy hotel and nightclub guests. The location is a bit dry/boring unless you’re coming to LA for business.

I loved the spacious rooms- especially with the giant bathtub.

• Medium Room

Construction around the hotel makes it difficult to get to. Lack of microwave and coffee maker in the room was dissapointing. There is a fridge in the room but it is pre-stocked making it difficult to put your own stuff in there without taking everything out. Rooms aren't very noise insulated so you're able to hear things around you pretty easily.

The location of the hotel is great. Great rooftop bar and pool. Workout facility is one of the better ones I have been in for a hotel.

The hotel had an overtly sexual theme. It would be perfect for a couple's getaway weekend. This and the lack of privacy in the shower was not family friendly.

The staff were excellent and went out of their way to be helpful. The restaurant was great as well.

• Large Room

No wastepaper basket in bathroom, also clear glass wall between bathroom and bed meant if you’re on the toilet anyone on the bed can see you. TV guide gave channels but not listings- no idea what was on that channel unless you were on it.

The bed was EXTREMELY comfortable, the location was fantastic, walking distance to so much- restaurants, LA Live, the LA ConventionCenter, Staples Center, Figat7th, etc. Beautiful roof top bar, large room.

• Humongous Room

I booked a room (quite overpriced room I might add) to celebrate my girlfriend's birthday. We invited some friends to join us for dinner at the hotel's restaurant and to party on the rooftop. Unfortunately, I spent much of my night stuck at the front desk negotiating with staff every time we wanted to bring friends to our room. At one point they simply refused to let me up with the birthday girl's brother which I thought was scandalous. All combined we spent more than $1,500 at the hotel that night which is a lot of money to have friends and family join us all the way there and get refused access. The abundant security in the hotel felt more like it was here to restrict our movement at every turn rather than to help or protect us.

The rooftop and the spin ping pong club.

• Large Room

Staff were a bit stand offish. They needed quite a lot of warming up from me to get them to engage in a friendly way

quirky and fun rooms ... huge bed ... fab bathroom mini bar options were funky in a good way. Gym was great too Downtown location

• Medium Room

Really friendly staff, nice room, great roof top bar/pool, great location with lots of bars and restaurants within walking distans. I can highly recommend the Standard if you want a couple of days downtown LA :-)

• Medium Room

Some of the staff was really rude, (we read that everywhere before we went there, we couldn’t imagine it being this horribly true) weird smell in the room, long waiting time for the lift. Just in general everything was cheap.

• Medium Room

The whole hotel is just unreal. Right in the heart of the city. Staples centre and dodger stadium a short walk. Staff are so friendly and polite. Rooms all mordern and super clean. The roof top swimming pool and bar make you film like you're in a movie. Highly recommend i will be returning

• Medium Room

I wish I would have known there was construction taking place 24/7 outside the hotel. I wasn't able to sleep for the entire 4 day visit more than a few hours. The hotel included mini bar charges on my bill that I did not use. Also my belongings got locked in a safe and the code scrambled and I wasn't able to get my valuables out of the safe for over an hour. For the cost of the facility did not match the experience.

Good location.

• Medium Room

There was a lot of construction happening all around the hotel. It's not the hotel's fault but it was hard getting a ride around the hotel.

Very unique location. Its a very modern renovation. Amazing roof top pool / bar / lounge. Interesting and nice rooms! Staff were very helpful and extremely nice.

• Large Room

Nothing. The entire hotel is in need of repair and remodeling. The rooms were disgusting, the elevators were do dirty. The entire hotel was sub-par at best.

The roof top bar was cool.

• Medium Room

Roadworks were terrible and we were not told about them. It wasn't clear under 21 not allowed to use pool after 1pm. Would not have booked had we known.

Great rooms, friendly staff.

• Medium Room

There is massive construction works going on outside of The Standard when I stayed there. It made it very hard to get there by car. I generally had to get picked up a couple blocks away or be forced to wait another 20 minutes. It is not The Standards fault, but it would have been helpful to get advice on better pick up and drop off points given the chaos.

• Medium Room

The other workers are on their phone looking down and not paying attention to customers.

The bartender was always attentive and he knew who I was whenever I walked down. Always greeting me or saying.

• Medium Room

There is construction going on the main road next to the hotel. The construction went on THE ENTIRE NIGHT! at 7pm, 10pm, 1am, 4am...they didn't stop. The construction will continue until November.

The location is great and the staff was super kind and friendly

• Large Room

Our car was keyed during the time it was parked in the valet. I have called several times, always being transferred to a new person having to relay the story over and over. Very disappointed they cant do anything about it. Basically said it was my fault and that once the car "leaves the property" it could have happened at anytime. Well, I drove straight to my driveway into my garage...so they basically don't believe me. Paying $44 dollars a night to supposedly have my car safe was nonsense.

• Medium Room

we got an upgrade to the top floor, but they did not say that the rooftop bar was so loud that the party was at your room.

big room, clean, and evertything as promised , good vibes

• Medium Room

This is outside their control, but the road construction that went on all night long was very noisy.

I would have given this property an excellent rating except for the fact that the city was doing overnight construction on the road outside my window... ALL NIGHT LONG! Fortunately, The Standard provided earplugs, so that helped. This is a fun place to stay. The food in their restaurant was delicious!

• Medium Room

There was a little party going on on the rooftop on saturday night which we could hear from our room a little bit but no major noise

The rooftop was pretty and the pool too

• Medium Room

The pool closes most afternoons for private events. On their booking.com site it says pool open all year (not all year apart from most afternoons) - false advertising!! Also staff rather rude on rooftop.

The bed was super comfy

• Large Room

Hallways seemed a little dirty. Directions to get to rooftop were a little unclear, took us a while as a guest to figure out how to get up there. The bed on the floor/carpet was a little unnerving with the scare of bed bugs, etc.

I first arrived to my room and the music outside was blaring. I figured it was based on the location of my room. It was already late and I'm 5 months pregnant, but he moved me quickly to another room. When I arrived to that room, it wreaked of cigarette smoke. However, again it was late so I sucked it up for the night. My coworker arrived the next day and stored her bags in my room until her room was ready. She immediately pointed it out at which point we said something to the front desk. They quickly moved me to another room and even provided me additional pillows due to the fact that I was pregnant for a more enjoyable night's sleep. I thought the property did a great job correcting issues for what I was experiencing.

• Gigantic Room

I thought the hotel is very expensive for what is offered. The parking nor the breakfeast are included. The room is big but very minimalist. I missed the hotel "warmth" and amenities. There was only one trash can in the bathroom, inside the toilet there was none or a carpet. The bathroom and bathroom box was divided by a plastic curtain, so the purpose of integrate spaces wasnt successful. There was only one place to hang the towels. The toilet flush is very loud and take several minutes to stop. The was no bathrobe. There wasnt anything the made us feel at "home" or special in any way. I wouldn't stay again there or in downtown area.

The minibar was very equipped with good beverage and snacks.

• Medium Room

Staff was horrible and didn't seem to know anything, three different people told me the same thing which was wrong. The managers were unaccomidating and did not seem to care.

• Gigantic Room

Had items stolen from my room by house keeping. Upon check out I left some clothing items , shirt jeans and pocket square .... Items were in the room when I left 100% ... realizing this I on my way to the airport I called the hotel and after checking ....nothing was found. The items were left by mistake but thats no excuse to take the items .....

The staff we encountered were friendly and professional. Except the housekeeping ....

• Medium Room

The bed was not comfortable and the shower opening to the room was a little odd if I had NOT been with my husband.

The location and the staff were incredible. It was also a nice touch that the Hotel is pet friendly!

• Wow Suite

Not getting the 3rd degree from security,every time you leave the room. Having to show my key card just to get on the elevator. Security is rude. I didn't feel like a guest,even though I paid all that money to stay there. They charged me for themini bar and I didn't use it.

The big bed and bath.

• Medium Room

The customer service was not good in the slightest, any time we visited the front desk whoever was working was rude. Also, the bathroom had glass walls so you could see into the shower from the outside, we had to close the shower curtain just to use the toilet and since I was traveling with a friend, her and I were too uncomfortable to take a shower unless the other one wasn't in the room so they couldn't see EVERYTHING. It honestly felt like we were staying in a hostel.

• Large Room

Mattress had blood stain; no luggage racks (so can store luggage off floor); electrical outlets very limited (for this being a millennial, on-line/ Tech focused property), poor signage--no sign/info that there were two separate elevator banks..only one for access to Rooftop; no decaf option at coffee bar; pixelated, unfocused TV screen.

Location, friendly staff (Megan especially was very helpful), roof top swimming pool.

• Medium Room

Extremely rude staff. Anyone who doesn't work for tips here is out of control rude. It's astounding. I've been coming here 3-4 times per year for probably 10+ years and this last trip finally pushed me over the edge. Don't treat your customers like that! I also received minibar charges even though I didn't take anything.

Very stylish place

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

• Medium Room

Due to the amount of parties we were unable to go up to the rooftop during the evenings just to enjoy a drink without having to pay entry.

The rooftop pool was great to chill by during the day when we weren't sightseeing and the staff were really willing to help with anything.

• Medium Room

Carpets in the hallway kind of dirty. One garbage can in my room wasn't emptied before I checked in. The front desk person who checked me in didn't tell me about the amenities of the hotel. Had to find out through another front desk person.

Very nice corner room on the 11th floor

• Gigantic Room

The noise from the rooftop club was a joke. For 3 out of 6 nights I stayed here, the noise went until after 2am. This was despite earplugs and changing rooms twice. The staff were so nice in trying to find a better room, comping food etc but with construction on one side and a DJ that vibrates bass all the way to your room 7 floors away, what more could they do?

The staff were lovely in all aspects: front desk, room service, restaurant. Location is super handy but lack of sleep overrules all the positives.

Browse The Standard, Downtown LA traveller photo gallery