Reviews of The Trailhead 2 stars

3892 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA

#36 of 56 hotels in South Lake Tahoe

• Reviewed: 27 July 2018

The photos were not representative of what the room was really like. The bedspreads were dingy and the bathroom was tiny compared to the pictures. The swimming pool is empty and hasn’t been used for years. Very disappointed in the value for the cost.

Ok for one night if you can get past the outside appearance, which could be great with some up keep.

The pool has a red Danger sign from the City of Lake Tahoe, and the main staircase was completely taped off with caution tape, we has to use the far staircase, walking by someone smoking weed. Walking down to the room on the 2nd level, sloped when you got near the taped off staircase. The room was nicely decorated but had a weird smell also.

The room was cute and its saving grace. Nice bed and water pressure for showering.

Location was pretty much the only thing this motel has going...

The bathroom was really dirty with hair all around the toilet I would have to say it was not cleaned we had to have them come back to the room and clean it. It was a little bit noisy in the rooms

Location was pretty much the only thing this motel has going for itself everything else is just okay not to good.

Staff was dirty bad apperience Front desk really dirty with dog hair every where, I even got dog hair when I was handed my room keys. I am a dog lover but who wants to get other peoples dog hair on their hands. Walking to a front desk office that dirty WHO wants to drink coffee when maybe there's dog hair in coffee cups

The bed was comfortable and staff were helpful.

The hostel was not prepared for the low temperature - the room was really cold. I was also not pleased with water pressure in the shower.

The bed was comfortable and staff were helpful. The location is decent.

Disappointed by the room, barely breakfast possibility

Our room was by far not so nice as the one on the pictures. For the price, I expected a motel and a room much nicer. There is barely breakfast possibility (on corner on the lobby displays some cereals and coffee but there is no table or anything).

Location is ok, near several diners to go eating. Parking lot with good access. Nice swimming pool area (although we did not use it due to the weather).

I’d stay here again

The only thing I noticed that could be improved is the cleanliness of the outside stairs. It wasn’t the best first impression.

Convenient location for walking to the village. Room was comfortable and clean and I liked the character of the place.

We have stayed at many of the cheap Tahoe motels, and for...

We have stayed at many of the cheap Tahoe motels, and for some reason I always like this one the best. Cozy and no frills but clean and easy access to everything.

Went on a solo trip to ski before meeting up with friends...

Could have used a last general surface clean.

Went on a solo trip to ski before meeting up with friends later in the weekend. Great place to relax and unwind for a night (giant private jacuzzi tub!) before enjoying Tahoe after a couple feet of snow without breaking the bank!

Proximity to casinos/heavenly village, friendlyness of...

Didn’t feel as if the carpets and bathroom were clean, bathroom shower had left over dirt from someone else’s stay. The room had a muggy/dirty smell.

Proximity to casinos/heavenly village, friendlyness of staff, room was spacious

One night in Tahoe

Lightbulbs were out in our room, pool and hot tub were completely empty, hardly any breakfast, aside from a couple cereals with no milk. Way too ripe of apples. Floors were very creaky and felt like we were going to fall through. And staff seemed like they didn’t want to be there. No uniforms or name tags.

Location was perfect and being so pet friendly.

Satisfactory place to sleep for a last minute trip to South Lake Tahoe

No bells or whistles, but we had an adequate stay! I didn't feel the facility was unclean, just a little run down. You can tell they're trying to update and make improvements. They have the sweetest dog, Murdoch, on the property who is just a love!

Good!just to improve more.

we heard the other guest steps and conversation and they should put kore variety for breakfast.

We stay on tje ground floor and the room that they gave to us is connecting doors so my other families stay with us too.

Won't be staying here in the future

As noted in other reviews, a lot of cigarette butts in ashtrays in the common walkway. Hot tub was not functional. Shower was extremely dark, had to move lamp into bathroom to be able to see when shower curtain was closed.

Close to heavenly gondola. Good wifi, TV had hdmi input.

Decent, spacious place to stay when prices are lower (during the weekday) in great location.

Non-smoking room, however there were smoking spots right outside the room and several ashtrays filled with tons of cigarette butts 1-3 doors down. Unpleasant to see, and worse to smell for a nonsmoker. The smoke penetrated into the room. I had space to park, but it might get precarious when the motel is filled to capacity.

I had the handicap assistance room so there was extra space. Bed was comfy; flat screen tv worked well and helped me unwind. Good location close to coffee, shopping, and Heavenly.

Clean, good value, but shady guests

The hotel has some really shady people staying there. I was pretty uncomfortable being outside (as I am a single young woman, traveling alone).

I got upgraded to a really lovely room, it was a great value for money. Staff member who checked me in stated I would get a cancellation email, and not to worry about that. I made it clear I wanted to have the ability to leave a review and I did not want my reservation "cancelled". This is probably why I got the free upgrade. Derek, in the morning was very friendly during my checkout

Awesome experience, easy check in, a great staff, lovely environment. Can’t wait for summer!

The breakfast.

Breakfast only had cereal, donuts, tea, coffee, milk, and OJ. Where’s the eggs and bacon!? Although lacking in this area, great experience staying her! I will definitely stay here again. The staff are all super friendly and it felt very homey and comfortable.

Terrible place! Would never stay there again

They have families living there that use the area in front of their room for a living space. They smoke and drink outside the room until past midnight. They don't enforce the no smoking with on 20 feet of the building law. So the smoke pours into your room every time you open the door. The lady smoked one cigarette after another all day and night. I went to the office and the employee has a large dog that rubbed its nose on my clean pants and I had a 5 inch long snot trail on my pants! I complained about the smoke and was told "it's not like Bay Area where you are from." I'm not from the Bay Area!

Would NOT recommend this motel!

There are residents with children and dogs living in many of the rooms who chain smoke sitting outside their rooms, day and night, so you can't open the windows or sit outside. Also the residents dogs wonder around, the carpets are nasty, the bathrooms/showers are tiny, very outdated and disappointing.

The location.

Unsafe, unclean, RUDE staff. Don't stay here!

They were spiderwebs in the bathroom the bathtub had not been cleaned in a very long time and had dirt rings all around it . The bedding was so wrinkled and look like it had already been slept in. upon checking in the girl at the front desk said she knew the beds were clean but wasn't sure about the bathroom. Wouldn't housekeeping clean the whole room at one time ? No safety lock on door. Residents living at the hotel. They went thru our bags. We had to call the police!!!

Nothing! The room was FILTHY. We didn't expect a standard rated hotel to be fancy but we expected clean.

OK for a night`s lodging

The carpet floor was disgusting- it should either be cleaned or removed. The mattress was saggy, and the linens looked wrinkled. The bathroom was dusty and full of spiderwebs. The sink was a little obstructed, and there was hardly any light in the shower. A mosquito net in the bathroom would have been good. Roomservice is available only on request. The receptionists were not unfriendly, but did not seem to be very motivated.

Despite the proximity to the highway the room was very quiet. It`s fairly close to the Lake.

Very good budget choice
    • Queen Room

Don't expect a large breakfast

The staff was very nice to us and checked us in earlier than it is usually allowed. Location is within 15 minutes walk to the beach and nice beach cafes. Although close to the main road, it was not noisy during the night. Clean room. Breakfast was minimalistic but okay.

They double charged me for my stay and told me there...

They double charged me for my stay and told me there wasn't anything they could do about it. It was a Sunday so I could not call and dispute it with my bank. It was a major inconvenience for them to have double charged me. And when being told nothing could be done about it makes me seem like an employee was double dipping!

Overall. It was worth the money and I wouldn't mind staying here again!

One of the outlets by the bed was broken so we had to use the one in the bathroom to charge our phones. Also, where our room was, you could hear everything that was going on outside or in the room next door.

I was really happy to see there was a microwave and mini fridge. Made it easier for us to just bring food rather than go out to eat.

• Reviewed: 19 August 2017

Location, helpful and friendly staff on front desk

Shower was incredibly dark- almost like showering with the lights off. Not enough lights throughout room. No chairs in room A few hairs found in both beds

Location, helpful and friendly staff on front desk

If they change the bed and rework the shower entrance the place is great.

The bed was not comfortable and worse the bath/shower faced the bedroom with just a shower curtain and you had to step over a two foot wall to get into the bathtub to take a shower. That was the only real complaint. WE still enjoyed ourselves up there.

it was a great location for the places we wanted to go. A we could walk to food and shopping easily.

The location was great!

The floors had stains and were horribly gross. The bathroom had no light near the shower which was tucked away in a dark corner of the bathroom! Shower was dirty when we arrived. Full of hairs. Everyday they came to clean all they did was take the trash out and make the bed. Never actually wiped up any dust or or cleaned anything out.

The location was great!

A Pleasant Two-Night Stay

"Minimalistic" is a good word to describe the breakfast, as another reviewer stated, although the coffee was quite good. However there is a 7-Eleven less than a block away which was convenient for grabbing a snack or beverages.

Good central location. Staff was super-nice. Room was clean. Air conditioning worked well (it was one of the rare days in SLT that A/C was needed). No noise from other rooms.

All About Location - Just Sleep Here

Hotel is outdated in need of renovations. The floor was very dirty. There was a light out in the room. The shower was very small.

Location was great, easily walk to the strip or the lake. Staff was friendly.

Clean, bed good, very good location, free parking onsite,...

Would have liked to know that the pool was not usable, bathroom small, would have liked decaf coffee at breakfast or a coffee pot in the room.

Clean, bed good, very good location, free parking onsite, WiFi

The staff was great but the room needs new carpet.

The only complaint was the nasty looking carpet. It was so stained none of us would put our bare feet on it.

The microwave and refrigerator in the room were very convenient. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The price was right.

Great spot in a wonderful town, a perfect combination
    • Queen Room

Great little place, perfect location right in the center of town. The staff was friendly and the bedroom was well-decorated and comfortable for a very moderate price. I really enjoyed my stay and made friends with the other guests, most of them hip people who seemed to converge in this welcoming motel.

Overpriced and pool is closed

Pool not working Shower floor was dirty Bedding was cheap - sheets were pilling Floor was caved (slanting) Smoking on balconies was allowed - ashtrays full Breakfast starts at 8am

Location was good

Lovely lodge in south lake tohoe

We liked everything

The staff were all exceptionally nice and the hot tub in the deluxe room was amazing! The lodge is a low key place that is nice and clean. It was within walking distance of everything we wanted to do/see. We will try to stay here every time we visit tahoe.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

It was clean.

That the rooms were also rentals. People sitting by their rooms was an uncomfortable feeling. We had no problems, was just not what I'm used to.

It was clean. The beds and pillows were very uncomfortable, needs new beds. Good if your out all day playing and come back to sleep. Watched television with my grandson.

Afordable, older motel, adequate for a short stay.
    • Queen Room

Continental breakfast was sliced sweet bread. pieces of fruit, coffee. Cold cereal choices were mostly sweetened cereals. Also had packets of instant oatmeal. Breakfast started at 8 AM and we like to get started earlier usually. No eating space, so had to take breakfast to room. Room only had one chair, we used table for suitcase so there was not much space to eat Bathroom was small, No fan so had to use window for ventilation, but bathroom window didn't have a screen. We didn't have any problem with bugs, but were careful not to leave a light on when window was open. Would have appreciated having facial tissue in room.

Walking Distance from Heavenly Village, on main street, but quiet enough at night. View across street of pine trees.

Great location!!

The room could of been cleaner. It didn't smell clean and the shower was filthy with left over bar of soap on the bottom. Also, the bathroom sink was dirty.

The location was great and convenient

Not great, but clean and comfortable room. Broken hot tub and poor quality shower.

Hot tub was broken; person who checked us in didn't mention it until I asked, then didn't give us anything to compensate for it. I would've booked another place if I'd known the hot tub was broken. What a bummer after a long ski day! Shower was awful (very low water pressure), no bathtub. Poor quality shampoo/soap.

Good location, comfortable bed.

Nice room and my puppy was very comfortable!
    • Queen Room

The only thing I didn't like was that there was no light in the shower, so it was a little dark in there.

Nice room for the price. Was expecting a lot shabbier and was pleasantly surprised with a nice, clean room with more space than most hotel/motel rooms. Plus, it's pet friendly so I definitely love that.

• Reviewed: 21 February 2017

Great for you and the pets!!

The bed was very bouncy, and the bathroom was very small. The chair and the table in the room were very unstable. The table rocked a lot and the chair would tip backwards very easily.

We loved how friendly the staff was, and that we could have our dogs there with us! The location is fantastic. A short walk away from Heavenly Village!

• Reviewed: 7 February 2017

Location! Location! Location!
    • Queen Room

Bathroom is super tiny & dark I wish they would include an actual photo of it so that people are not surprised when they see how small it is. Carpet is old.

Staff were GREAT. We were out late and when we came back there was no parking. Well, the snow kind of ate half of the parking lot so this is not their fault. The staff at night, which I forgot to ask the name. He was very nice about it. He moved his car so that we can park. So, A+++++ to him. You cannot beat the location. Literally 5 minute walk to Heavenly. Very convenient. The breakfast is a PLUS as well.

• Reviewed: 18 January 2017

Not very clean

The room is not clean, someone left rotting oranges in the bathroom closet that didn't get clean out. The shower is old and bathroom is not very clean. Shower rod holder is very rusted.

Location and staffs

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

Front desk staff was pleasant.

Carpet had seen better days and there were some greasy spots. Bedspread was grubby. We were a little itchy so bedbugs came to mind. Bathroom was small and poorly lit near the shower. Price was to high for what we received.

Front desk staff was pleasant. Sheets were clean and pillows were comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 October 2016

Pleasant stay in the fall

Price seemed a little high for the off season, but not all that bad. Pool was empty of water but I think there is a jacuzzi or hot tub that I saw people going to or coming from with towels around their bodies.

Check in was fast and easy, the room was clean and comfortable, there is free wi fi, and staff are all friendly and accommodating. I will be back😊

The staff was really nice and friendly.

The shower area were really small.

The staff was really nice and friendly.

Very nice and very friendly at reception 😀

The loud road

Very nice and very friendly at reception 😀

Fine for 1 night carpet was clean

Dark room dark shower with a big bug inside, a dirty q tip on bathroom floor but it was actually quiet for a sat night

room was clean.

room was clean.

Staff was nice, office dog was cute

Breakfast sucked

Staff was nice, office dog was cute

Just ok I won't stay again put that just me

Parking area and bathroom in room

price

I liked nothing. Poor facilities, smell, dust , low grade bedding, carpets

Nothing. It was awful

good location, good value

more breakfast options

Good Location, Good Value

Great basic place near resort.

The breakfast start late (8am) so I didn't try.

Clean, good mattress and good location. A basic place to stay near heavenly if you want to sky.

Good place for the money.

The bed is a little hard and the Bathroom is a little small.

It was perfect for the money, good location and the room was ok.

Really uncomfortable and dirty

Very and very dirty place

Close to downtown

Loved this little lodge. Super comfortable and good price. Would definitely stay here again.

floors could've been a bit cleaner.

comfortable place to stay, comfy bed. Shower had hot water!

Poor breakfast, good bed and location

Breakfast is only coffee and cereals

Location is excellent

Very nice room.

Very nice room. Loved the bathtub.

Friendly staff, great location. Swimming pool was empty. Could have been cleaner.

The bathroom floor needs to see a mop.

It was acceptable but I probably wouldn't stay there again by choice

The element hanging out on the property.

Close to everything

Charged me for Ice bucket and towel that were not even used beware !!!! Pool not useable

Close to everything

Enjoyable and relaxing

The staff was very friendly and accommodating

Friendly personnel and nice location

Aging hotel

Friendly personnel and nice location

Awesome

Nice place

Good. And clean

The bed mattress was broken down because it was the only place to sit, no chairs.
    • Queen Room

Limited parking, not enough spaces.

Location and price.

Brief

Nasty carpets. Old tile. Pool empty (stayed July). Price jacked up after booked. Still trying to figure out how that happened. Overall a dump.

Staff was great!

Staff was great!!!

Centrally located near state line.

Small bathroom.

Centrally located near state line.

Trailhead

They have a pool but no water in it

Nice place to stay

Very friendly staff, good location

Cleanliness

The bed

Cleanliness

Pool and hot tub not usable.

Pool and hot tub not usable.

Simple decent hotel

The "free" breakfast is very minimalistic, I would recommend either bringing your own or have breakfast somewhere else!

Room decoration.

It was close to things like shopping but is old and dirty and needs help

dirty