Reviews of Quality Inn University Lansing 3 stars

3121 Grand River Avenue, Lansing, MI 48912, USA

#13 of 17 hotels in Lansing

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The shower/toilet area was not clean, around the safe was not clean, the temperature was either icy cold or off, the pool was not clean around the sides (we would not want to use that pool), and will not spend that much money for Quality Inn again, when for a few dollars more, we could have a guaranteed clean room at the Hilton, The price was way too high for the accommodations.

Cannot say there is anything that I was displeased with.

Upon arriving at the property, we were greeted with open arms by the staff. Ronald was particularly helpful, making multiple recommendations in the area and also looked to hook us up with some money off of our Uber ride to the event we were attending. The room was spacious, and the bed was very comfortable! Overall, loved the stay!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was no supervision for the kids at the pool I was there parenting my kids while no one else was. The kids there were starting trouble wanting to fight.

Room was quite dirty. Obvious was not vacuumed and sinks/faucets not cleaned well. Cleaning soaps left on faucets for an example. Other- It is obviously an aged and very used hotel, with a lot of small broken items, worn out items, and well rusted hardware.

Staff was good. Bed was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The air was broke, our sink didn't drain and my husband sliced his finger trying to fix it, half the outlets didn't work and the coffee maker was broken

The staff was accommodating and friendly

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was the remodeled/updated room...very nice...just had human hair in bathroom in shower, on the floor, and in one of the towels. Also the back parking lot is a little creepy, tree seems like hazard over fence. No elevator. Originally I was given an older room, until I asked for a updated room. Which meant using stairs.

Breakfast awesome, staff friendly and helpful. Complimentary snacks very good. Area buisness great. Very quiet and peaceful stay.

• King Room with Spa Bath

There was no hot water to take a shower, and it wasn't busy so I should have had hot water. If you need a cheap place to stay then this is the place.

It was clean

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There are no elevators nor any information that there are no elovators until the front desk tells you. This makes it difficult with luggage or people with phyical limitations. I have a bad back but luckily my son was with me to help with the luggage. I made a request through book.com to be near the pool and the request was not honored. The room was uncomfortably hot even when I tried to turn down the temperature and my friend who also stayed, stated the same thing. Also, people were running the halls past 12 am waking me up.

The breakfast was pretty good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

That online they say they have a heated pool and a hot tub. They had a pool but it was not heated, and there was no hot tub. Said they haven't had one in three years. They probably should update their website.

The location made it convenient for where I needed to go.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Sorry put my did not like in wrong spot. Staff was very nice and helpful no problems there

Could not play pool all cue balls were missing should keep them at desk or not allow children to play and the bed frames were to big for matters hit shin on frame did not feel good and a lot or garbage along the fence of back lot

• King Room with Spa Bath

Bar was shut down. New management so couldn't get my free drinks. But that is just nitpicking. So basically nothing to complain about.

Great price for the room. Walking distance to everything

The tub/ shower was old and had cigarette burns on the ledge. Lots of trashy people, though I should have known for the price point.

It was ok. Nothing special. It was clean but dated.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bathroom was worn down and did not look clean. When you flush the toilet it sounds like a jet engine. My kids were yelled at by a staff member while in the pool. He is lucky I wasn’t there.

The breakfast was the best part of the weekend.

My room was by the pool/table area. I kept waking up because of the noise in that area. Multiple times - had to get some sleep for a class I was taking in the morning.

It was s good location for MSU.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I like everything and enjoyed myself and come back again

I enjoy staying there and everyone very nice and come back again staying again food was good and loved everything

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We waited a bit to long too be acknowledged at check in. 2 employees at desk on phone & computer. Took 10 minutes too just say we will be right with you.

Play area was very fun and open..and close to campus.

The tv reception in room bad hard to watch. The blow dryer was broke and tucked behind the towel bar. The toilet shower area stunk of urine like no one has ever scrubbed around toilet. Bath tub very dirty needed a good scrub or replacement.

I liked they had snack when we walked in there. We liked the bar in pool area but wasn’t open while we were there.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Within our room, we had to search for electrical plugs that worked. Also, it would be nice if the hotel opened the shuttle service to drop-off at the Breslin (or other MSU events).

We were able to check in quickly and Jose was very helpful. Since we stayed on a weekday, we were pleasantly surprised with dinner (ziti, salad, and breadsticks). The room was in a good location and the kids enjoyed the pool. Breakfast was above my expectation and Mary was very friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The manager charged me one full day extra as a penalty for checking out after 4 nights. I booked 7 nights but my work schedule changed and I ended up having the weekend off. So I ended up paying $500 for 4 nights during the week. That is asinine. $125 a night at a 3 star hotel during week days and no weekend. I'll never step foot in this hotel again.

• King Room with Spa Bath

I had originally booked one night stay online then I called to reserve another night stay when we went to check in they did know about my extra day I had reserved. Then when we got to our room we started to fill the jacuzzi tub and had no hot water. The water was fixed about two hours after we complained. We decided to go to the pool and the pool was so cold we didn’t swim. Then the first day of our stay the front desk called me and wondered why we hadn’t checked out, and explained we had a reservation for another night, she looked into it and apologized for the call. I will definitely keep an eye on my card statement and make sure I was only charged for the two nights I stayed. For the price I was not impressed with the room it was clean but outdated.

Really difficult to get to on Grand River, but otherwise a wonderful experience.

Great indoor pool and facilities; pool tables, foosball, bar, food all day and night! But the staff is what makes it. Ronald at the front desk was a charismatic and great intro to the wonderful establishment, but Mary was what made out stay worthwhile. She’s an awesome woman with a heart of gold that treated us like family. Great stay, perfect for my parent’s to visit me at MSU.

• Reviewed: 16 December 2017

LOVED my stay here! From checking in to checking out the staff was SUPER friendly. The rooms were comforting and clean. I felt so comfortable here! They also offered snacks throughout the day, which was super nice! I enjoyed not having to dine out all the time.

Mary the morning food court attendant was excellent. The front desk clerk was very helpful with the printing of my boarding pass. All in all I was very impressed with this motel it has been around a very long time and has just undergone a renovation. I was pleasantly surprised. I would recommend this facility to anyone looking to stay in the Lansng/East Lansing area.

• King Room with Spa Bath

Rooms were very old. The wallpaper was peeling off the wall, the tubs wer old and yellow. The tile floor was dirty. The carpet looked gross and I didn’t want to take my shoes off. My sister’s room had blood on the curtain and a small bottle with a white powder in it.

Pool

cool pool

Mary in the kitchen was a keeper, very attentive. Surprised to find dinner offered. Had arrived with little sleep for a sudden funeral and the comfort food was just what we needed.

The rooms were clean and comfortable, but shoddy and old. The bathroom pipes were rusty. General air of shoddiness everywhere. Corridor carpets old and threadbare.

The free popcorn and free breakfast.

Guests in next room kept slamming their door throughout my stay. One night the couple next door were yelling very loud. Called the Front Desk three times to complain before the issue was resolved.

Bagels, orange juice

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The first night our room was next to hotel 'contractors' who were there for 60 days. They were blasting music, slamming doors and arguing well until 4 a.m. I called desk who 'intervened', then contractors turned up music and left their room.No sleep at all. We were moved to another room next day. Bathroom 'wall' was leaking, tub didn't drain and faucets on tub were falling off. I left note of needed repairs with front desk.

Front desk personnel were friendly and accommodating when we had a problem.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was not clean and I found the lobby and carpeting to be very dirty. My room was very small and not that clean. The bathroom was very tiny with no space to out any toiletries. There was what looked like blood on the wall, but it turned out to be either crayon or old cupcake. That was the first turn off. Then in the middle of the night I had a bug crawl on my arm, which I woke up my kids to find it. It wound up being a beetle that was under the mattress. However I have never had anything like that happen in other hotels. Thank god it wasn't a different bug.

In all honesty the only thing I liked it was a good value. It was not clean and I found the lobby and carpeting to be very dirty. My room was very small and not that clean. The bathroom was very tiny with no space to out any toiletries.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

There was a window with a drape mounted far enough from it that you could see into our room from the hallway. I had to put a chair with a lamp on it against the window to prevent this. The bathroom floor was dirty. The bathtub didn't drain properly when we took showers.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! It was convenient to MSU and that was our main objective.

I liked everything there at this hotel!

This hotel was very clean, each worker took pride in their jobs as it was easy to see. The hotel is going through some renovations to make it better. The hotel did put out extra food for all at 5pm chicken wings,cheese platter on two nights that we were there.Also their breakfast area whom we had the privilege to have "Mary" whom did a wonderful job for our daily breakfast,strawberries for the waffles,sausage gravy,her eggs were always Fluffy...

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room had last guest shampoo bottle still in bathroom. Smelt of mildew throughout hotel. They almost towed car without notice to repair ashphalt. Breakfast wasn't the greatest. Way over priced.

Very convenient off highway, staff was okay, pool was heated and nice.

Hotel was being renovated, stains on carpet in room, room was small, loud noises thru walls, keys didn't work numerous times.

The staff was very friendly.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The room it was dirty I had to use the stairs no elevators breakfast was terrible the delicious fruit water and water was actually good and constantly fresh always had fresh snacks in the lobby

Staff was good and apologetic

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

We had to move out of our room and to a different one due to someone in the hotel smoking weed! The smell in our room was so bad we had to prop open our door with a chair while I got all of our stuff out! No bar like it showed in pics. However bowling alley was next door.the room they moved us to the remote control looked like it had black mold growing on it

Breakfast was great staff was helpfull

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The walls seemed really thin. My room was an adjoining room, so maybe that was part of the problem. I could hear my neighbor clearly.

The front desk person who checked me in was super friendly. I had a refrigerator and a microwave which was nice to keep things cold. They had a snack bar thing available for free throughout the day. The breakfast was good.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The bar area was not open at all. The breakfast was not good--cold 'powder- like' eggs, coffee was not hot Room needed another waste basket for 'bathroom sink area no local channels --wanted to watch Tiger'S...NOPE / wanted to see what the local weather was going to be like...NOPE. Hair Dryer only worked on low. Bottled water was $2 ????? smh The hotel wasn't 'that bad' but for the price (even with the 'booking' discount) was not worth it. Could have stayed at a Motel 6 for $79--that is more of what I would have expected to pay for this Hotel after our visit!

The pool/bar area was another reason we chose this hotel. Disappointed that the bar was not open like they said (till 11p) --not opened at all. Front desk/lobby was nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Games in game room were not working , Rooms are very small and not very clean , doesn't look like online pics at all. Location not very good . College students down drinking with their beer bottles , etc by the pool . The staff told me they had to remove them but also in the same sentence told them let me tell you about a little secret. I think they told them they could have them down there after 10 when pool closed to children. No elevator . Very strange set up.

The overall experience was great! I was taking a week class at MSU and the shuttle was always on time. The staff at the reception area was friendly and helpful. The hotel is close to shopping and restaurants. The room was clean and breakfast had a lots of variety.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

It was in the middle of some remodel. It didn't affect us nor can they be faulted. Nice they are improving. I had a reservation first through Orbitz than received notification to stay my same date for HALF the price through Booking.com. I was satisfied with everything at my half price but would have felt disappointed paying the regular price at this hotel.

The price was perfect for my needs of having somewhere to hang out and sleep before taking my teens to an early bus to D.C. Pool area was nice. The beds were cozy. Great that they put us in adjoining rooms with our friends. Breakfast in the morning was good with waffles, cereal, yogurt, and pastries.

• King Room with Spa Bath

my room was a bit dated but while I was staying I noticed a lot of rooms being upgrated.

the staff was exceptional, Mary the hospitality artist made my breakfast experience fantastic.

• King Room with Spa Bath

Immediately you saw huge rolls of padding and carpeting so I know the hotel is getting renovated..... Hopefully that includes the room layout. Upon opening the room door there was a huge comfortable bed and right next to it??? a LARGE blue jacuzzi tub with mirrors on the walls. There was hardly room to get around the foot of the bed and the actual bathroom was the size of a closet! So narrow my mother could barely turn around. My brother's room had a baby blue Heart shaped tub off to the side with a matching heart shaped blue cloud on the ceiling! The room STUNK like moldy water or sewage and there was dust hanging from the "popcorn" ceiling over the bed.

The King size bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. The complimentary breakfast was excellent so many items to choose from. Mary kept it well stocked and clean. I enjoyed the eggs and bagels while my Mother was happy to see oatmeal and fresh fruit available. Having a good sized refrigerator in the room was handy. The other guests made good use of the nice pool. The lobby was well maintained and the staff was very friendly greeting us each time we returned.

ONSTAR had trouble finding the address, but that may be ONSTAR's problem.

The room was clean and adequate. The pool, vending & entertainment area was clean. The breakfast was simple, but clean & well tended. Obviously, CLEAN MATTERS.

• King Room with Spa Bath

Room was not clean had to ask for new sheets and cleaned bath and shower myself. There was hair on the clean towels and floor was dirty. Air did not work in room. Alot of renovations going on seems they could handle that better. Hammer started at 8am. Really bummed, will be visiting the area often and looking for a great place to stay. Will keep looking.

Staff that I dealt with were great and very helpful. Breakfast was great. Location was great, 5 minutes from Michigan State campus.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Under major renovation Bathroom very dated in our room Depending on purpose, likely noisy facing indoor court area. Request alternate room area if want quieter

Beds good Big central pool area and client gathering bar environment

• Reviewed: 1 June 2017

• King Room with Spa Bath

The walls are thin and it was noisy. We were given a voucher for complimentary snack to be served between 6-9. They were out by 7. The bed was very firm. The front desk was frequently unoccupied

The room was nice. The staff was friendly.the breakfast selection was the best I have seen for free breakfast in a hotel. The room was clean

• King Room with Spa Bath

this property was advertised to have a bar, but it was closed. also advertised to have a hot tub but it was closed. Paid for a room with a Jacuzzi but it didn't work, sinks were stopped up, fridge didn't work. The floors in the breakfast area were clean because someone was always vacuuming them. Probably the only thing there that did work. I will never use booking again!!

the property was located close to where we spent our time.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

The whole property needs to be completely updated. Definitely not worth the money. Breakfast was nothing special.

Check in staff was very knowledgeable.

• Reviewed: 18 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Place gets a little loud, particularly since many guests were visiting families with kids. Air conditioning was not the best (loud and difficult to adjust to a comfortable temperature). Traffic near the place is a bit scary.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Complimentary coffee was good, breakfast was conveniently packaged for bringing with us. Shopping mall and many restaurants nearby (Kung Fu and Red Lobster were pretty good).

• Reviewed: 14 May 2017

Facility is old and dated, I think this is one of the strangest designs. There are windows in the room to the hallway. Rooms were not very quiet. One reason we booked this hotel was the pool. When we got there the pool was closed because they were painting it. We had prepaid the room, so there was nothing they did about it on that front. Did not think it was good customer service.

Staff was friendly. Convenient location for us. Clean and pretty comfortable.

• Reviewed: 11 May 2017

See above

Like the breakfast service, especially the lady in charge, Mary. She was attentive, friendly and efficient. Did not like the lack of cleanliness. My bed looked like it had been slept on. There were candy wrapper s on the rug.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

I called for late check in and was told all was well. When I got there at 3 am I was told they had no record of the call and I was a no show, even though I gave a new credit card that had a charge authorized on it earlier that day. Luckily there was a room available for us to check in to but they made me buy the additional room that night and work it out in the morning as to the charges. At the moment I have 4 nights worth of pending charges on my credit card for a one night stay! I'm just hoping only one actually goes through.

• Reviewed: 4 May 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Hours for pool and gym were too limited. Paint and carpeting were dingy. But so far no beg bugs, which is great.

Breakfast was nice. Staff was mostly friendly. Hotel mostly clean.

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

I didn't see a whirlpool and the pool water was cold

The breakfast was very good lots to choose from. The bed was comfy with lots of fluffy pillows.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pool was out of service. Property is a little dated as rooms and bathroom are small. Fine for students visiting MSU.

Mary did a great job with the breakfast. Beds were comfy. Nice game/bar area. Great location just off campus.

• Reviewed: 16 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Our room, 137 sloped uphill, inside the room! Also the heater/AC didn't work the first night.

Quick easy breakfast, very clean. Directly across campus from University of Oregon. Go ducks.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Very old and smells like smoke. Not real clean. Beds were uncomfortable and very small. Room was very warm, couldn't adjust temp. Would not stay there again!

• Reviewed: 22 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Room was too warm. But Mary provided us with a fan, which helped.

Garlic eggs were delicious, as were the potatoes. Mary was very helpful and friendly in the kitchen. Night clerk Sunday night and Monday night was friendly and helpful. He suggested dining and was so upbeat and funny, taking time to make our stay enjoyable.

• King Room with Spa Bath

It could have been a little cleaner.

The staff was awesome. Bar/game room on site. Location is perfect for us, so many things to do within walking distance.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

The hotel is old , bathroom old and does not give you sense of cleanliness. Pillows not comfy. The worst part was the noise. Me and my kids could not sleep. Kids running and shouting till 1 am until the hotel staff stopped them. Then there was adults talking on their phone at 1:30 am , we asked them to keep it down, then guys were playing air hockey causing very load noise at three am. I called front office and I was about to check out of the hotel. In brief the rooms are not sound insulated and we all had terrible night. I will not stay there again.

The hotel staff were very nice

• Reviewed: 10 March 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

My hotel points were somehow deducted for my stay, so I will be spending tons of time to get them added back, ugh.

The breakfast staff (Mary) was super nice and accommodating, and the breakfast food was ok. The cleaning staff were friendly & efficient. Loved the location & walking distance to lots of things.

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

I didn't like that when I got there they couldn't find my reservation because when I changed my arrival and departure dates on the booking.com website, even though I got all kinds of confirmations, booking.com's system failed to inform the hotel of the adjustment. Apparently they had seen this happen many times before.

I liked the lady at the front desk. She was very helpful finding out why I didn't have a reservation for that night and even though she was ready to get the rooms I had requested, we didn't end up staying there because the pool wasn't working, due to it being under construction, which she let us know up front, seeing that I had 3 teenagers with me.

• Reviewed: 30 January 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Remodeling, paint smell, not pet friendly

Room clean and comfortable, beds comfortable, staff very accommodating, remodeling, strong paint odors, good breakfast, convenient location, will revisit.

• Reviewed: 27 January 2017

• King Room with Spa Bath

Pool was closed and they were doing maintenance on it. Whole place smelled of primer and made me feel sick. Outlets in room barely could charge my phone or laptop for some weird reason. I'm sure this place is nice usually.

Staff were friendly, breakfast was pretty good.

• Reviewed: 27 December 2016

• King Room with Spa Bath

We stayed here because its close to where our son and daughter in-law live and go to school. It needs a lot of up keep the bed seemed clean but the rest of the room was not there was hair in the shower we had one of the rooms with a jet tub and it was dirty and in poor shape it needs new calking we did not use it the towel bars were very rusty and so were the sink and tub fixtures and in the bathroom was a vent that went right into the next room so when their light was on it shone in our bathroom kinda gives you a creepy feeling of no privacy the people seemed nice but I probably wont stay here again

bed was nice and comfy

• Reviewed: 14 December 2016

• King Room with Spa Bath

Wash cloths were stained. Faucet on jacuzzi tub was leaking at the base.drain for jacuzzi wasn't sealing property. Jacuzzi was dirty and needed to be cleaned before use Outer cover over jacuzzi tub was falling off. Holes in the ceiling. Bed was setup next to the door felt there was no privacy when you entered or exited the room. Bath fan wasn't venting properly. You could hear other showers tubs and an old man going to the bathroom through the walls. I was Givin a voucher for a free drunk at the door. Which was nice. But when my wife and I went to the bar they didn't have any captain Morgan, or crown royal, and they informed us they have been out for a while. My wife ordered a mixed drink and it wasn't made properly. Staff was very nice and polite. Pillows were nice bed was ok. Bed the room felt like I was on camera in a cheep motel.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

• King Room with Spa Bath

Room wasn't even near the pool and we could here kids screaming till it closed. It was a nice place other then the obnoxious kids running everywhere and it would of been nice to use the pool if it wasn't filled with 20 screaming kids don't get me wrong I don't mind kids playing but these kids were top of there lungs shreaking and splashing and running full speed everywhere and one ran into me and about knocked me over and the front deck employee and the guy behind the bar did nothing about it just sat at the bar and talked I had to wait 20 min for someone to check us in and I had to go find him. Other then that the room was okay we sacrificed for a smaller room to be away from the noise and far from the pool to bad that didn't work but other then the room being extremely small and cramped the bed was comfortable we had a jacuzzi tub and that was nice and was also clean.

Very close to town and great restaurants

• Reviewed: 20 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Dated, small beds, no outside windows, clogged shower drain. Small pillows, 3 pillows for 2 people

Location good, breakfast good considering price of stay. Beds comfortable. Friendly and responsive staff.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Too costly at the bar. Noisy. Could hear other rooms.

We enjoyed the pool area with games and pool tables and bar. Breakfast was pretty good. Staff was friendly.

• Reviewed: 14 November 2016

• King Room with Spa Bath

The pillowcases had someone else's hair on them. The sheets were not pressed. The bathroom felt dirty. The mattress on the bed looked worn out and old. Finally, the tub was not appealing both in color and cleanliness.

The staff and the location were great. The last time we stayed here was over two years ago and there were no issues.

• Reviewed: 7 November 2016

You need to take this property off Bookit.com. They did not have air conditioning!!! They are only capable of either having heat on or air on, and cannot switch between the two. It was 70 degrees that day and the room had no windows to open. I didn't sleep at all. In addition, the door rattled (loudly) all night every time any other door in the hall opened or shut. I thought someone was trying to break in continually. Bathtub was disgusting!! Cigarette burns on the vanity and carpets. The property needs to be condemned and demolished.

• Reviewed: 31 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

1 terrible value for the money. 2 rooms were terrible - hot and in need of upgrade. 3 advertised heated pool and whirlpool. No whirlpool and we were informed that pool was not heated when inquired 4 continually asked to leave main sitting/congregating area. This should be available to guests 24/7 5 staff could not access heat/air controls and temperature could not be controlled by individual rooms. It was unbelievably hot in the rooms.

Staff tried their best to be accommodating but lacked the ability and authority to do so.

• Reviewed: 30 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Pretty much Everything! It was filthy dirty, stains all over the carpet and chair covers. There were holes in the ceiling, mold all over in the bathroom. And the worst of all there were hairs in the bed and on the pillows!!

They were willing to give me my money back when I refused to stay there.

• Reviewed: 29 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds

Extremely loud group on my floor during the last night of my stay. Running down the hallways screaming in their rooms-party central. a few other guests asked them to keep it down and they were quiet for awhile but started up shortly thereafter. Front desk was called but group was still very disruptive.

• Reviewed: 9 October 2016

• King Room with Spa Bath

Swimming pool was beautiful, but extremely COLD!!!!! We were only able to stay in for about 2 minutes. Didn't like the way the heat worked. Could never get temp above 68 degrees.

Day staff and management were extremely friendly and helpful. Shuttle driver was very polite. It was a pleasure talking with him on our way to the Capitol and back! Breakfasts were excellent. We were allowed to check in early!

Browse Quality Inn University Lansing traveller photo gallery