Reviews of The US Grant, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Diego 5 stars

326 Broadway, Downtown San Diego, San Diego, CA 92101, USA

#35 of 226 hotels in San Diego

This hotel is very nice, front staff, valet, cleaning people all professional and courteous. This hotel also has a great history which I really enjoyed. The hotel much better than your average hotel in area!

There were three of us in the room. I asked the bellman to bring additional coffee pods and glasses and towels to the room. It was not done. There was a $15.95 charge for wifi in the room. Wifi is free in most hotels I stay in. I called from the room to have the car brought around. However, when we got to the valet, they had to find the keys and leave to get the car. And sadly, the homeless population across the street from the hotel prompted the lower rating for the location - not the hotels fault.

The hotel is a beautiful, historic building. It has been stylishly updated in the common areas and in the rooms. The hotel is spotless inside and out.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

A very disappointing experience in occupancy,The boiling water from the kettle is green, and there is an unidentified liquid mark on the pillow from the front guest.As a SPG member, this is the worst of the five-star hotel

• Superior King Room

This was the last of 7 hotels we had booked to stay at on our road trip and was quite disappointed when we arrived - the room wasn’t that big and the view was rubbish.

Over the course of two visits in November and December, we had significant problems with their in-room coffee maker. Apparently we was not alone, because they have subsequently removed them on our early February visit. You can have coffee brought up, or go down to the lobby. We opted for tea. I had the black English Breakfast, my wife the Green, but the "Green" looked, tasted, and smelled very similar to the black. There was also only 1 cardboard insulator sleeve for the paper cups. Also, the TV interface was not working properly. It defaulted to "On Demand", but pressing the right-arrow button would not move the select to "Live TV". The channel up/down buttons needed to be pressed to change to Live TV. These may be trivial concerns, but they are what separate a 5-star luxury hotel from an average 4-star.

Staff is always friendly and helpful.

• Superior King Room

It seemed like the hotel was trying to nickel and dime you at every turn. $50 a day parking and you had to PAY for WiFi. The parking cost I understand, but I will not pay $10 a day for WiFi.

The hotel was beautiful! Rooms were clean and well-appointed. Staff was friendly and helpful. Hotel offered afternoon lemonade refreshments and morning coffee in the lobby in addition to free bottles of water in the room. One night they came to our room to offer water and chocolate.

The house keeping throw away a small tissue pet of my daughter. It has been found by the cleaning service. Great! But now they want me to pay for sending it back to us. No comment!!!

The concierge Mark. Thank you to him.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

The Hotel was elegant and beautifully decorated. The staff was extremely gracious and nice and the room was extremely clean and comfortable. We loved the amenities and the location was easy walking distance to the Gaslamp District. We truly enjoyed our stay and we will return.

The room coffee service was substandard, hard to use and coffee tasteless. Suggest you bring your own.

The room was large, bright and well appointed. Beds were incredibly soft and comfortable.

• Deluxe Room

Having to pay extra for WiFi at a 5 star level hotel with associated room & food pricing is both annoying and unheard of in the UK.

One of the best hotels we have ever stayed in. Incredible beds, staff, food, well everything was perfect..

• Superior King Room

There was a terrible smell like a chemical on the 6th floor throughout my two day/night stay, a sulfer-chem odor, such that I nearly asked to be moved. That was uncomfortable. While taking the self-guided walking tour, a security agent abrubtly confronted me infering that I was not supposed to be where I was, which was the second floor Presidential portrait area. Each evening I ordered room service, and each evening the order was not correct. The very kind representative had to return to correct the order (wrong order 2x). As a first-time visitor during a relatively quiet two days at the hotel, a room with a nicer location than looking across at other rooms may have increased the "experience." Stated differently, looking across to other rooms in a darker corner was ok, but the experience of looking out onto the square, or to natural light, or to the garden may have been a nicer touch not only for this stay, but to increase the likelihood of future stays and positive informal marketing.

The ben linens, room decorations, bath amenitites, shower, towels, and in room coffee service where top-quality. The location of the hotel is fabulous to all points San Diego and Correnado. The lobby is welcoming and historical, and the lobby complimentary coffee service a nice touch. The valets were professional, kind, mannered, and an excellent reflection.

na

I like the location of the hotel. I like how easy it was to get to restaurants and points of interest. I thought the staff was his friendly is any hotel I have been to.

• Superior King Room

The shower head was very weak. The room had a hard time cooling down.

The room was so clean. The bed was very comfortable. Audrey at the front desk was especially nice and helpful.

I felt special! The room was like being in a artist gallery with the most wonderful bed I've ever slept on. Everything was beyond my wildest dream. And it has been my dream to stay here since I was in 5th grade. Thank you for this wonderful time in my life.

• King Room - Disability Access

The room was a little small (no sitting area like a small sofa except for the bed).

Great restaurant and bar. Excellent location in the Gaslamp District. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Superior King Room

Not much to dislike, though for someone like me who spends little time in the actual hotel as I prefer to look around at the city and attractions and basically only use the hotel for a place to sleep, I probably could have chosen a much cheaper place to stay.

Nice property, very nice rooms. Good location, very helpful staff, beautifull building.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Coffee was dark roast only in the room. Breakfast blend would be nice for the morning.

Bedding was very soft, fluffy and at least 6 pillows. It's a high end luxurious place.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Wifi wasn't included & the valet was not included (49.99 a day).

Very Clean & Very detailed hotel. It's upper scale and they had live musicians playing and a bar in the lobby area during the day( during the night, it gets more to the bar area). I liked it all, Everything to the bigger towels in bathrooms, to the comfortable beds, plus the clean and the room had room to move around in (even the 2 bed room). It's in a nice area (north end of gaslamp)but still near spots. We went to the spot called "The Local" (bar & food). This was legit only a few min walk away. Thanks to everyone on this trip.

the $49/day parking. 😝

I liked the comforting environment and the lobby was so restful. The room could have been a bit larger. The jazz group in the grill was great. Staff very accommodating. Only negative was the $49/day parking. The parking assistants were so very pleasant. Thank u for the pleasant stay. 👍😃😃

• Deluxe Room

We were on the 3rd floor next to the stairs so when people were going in and out of the door we can hear it.

Very beautiful and clean in the hotel. Rooms were had nice big towels and a comfortable bed! Love the color scheme in the room

• Superior Full Room

The amount of homeless around the area was sad.

The friendly staff throughout the hotel and restaurant. Location to things to do. The grill inside serves a Focaccia bread that is above all expectations. It was amazing. Great Band that played in the bar area on Thursday night was great.

• Superior King Room

We knew nothing of the Lobby charges, very upset about that, it should have been told on the site we made the reservations on.

We were on the 5th floor and the cleaning lady on that floor was outstanding. She was responsive, always smiling, and had a positive greeting all day! The older man at the informational desk was just that, full of information about the hotel and surrounding area. The valet staff was nothing but cordial everyday, great team.

Did not appreciate that I had to pay 45USD plus tax per day just to park my car in the same hotel I was staying in.It is almost the price of one room in some other hotels in town Totally illogical,will not be using this hotel anymore

• Superior King Room

Bathtub drain drained v slow. Grant grill food and music was great! Keep the group !!! Valet guys when checking out weren't overly pleasant.

Room - v nice and good size

• Superior King Room

Nothing, the property was as advertised.

Expensive--yes. Worth it?--definitely. Friendly staff, inviting bartenders, beautiful environ. If you can, go!

• Superior King Room

First and foremost, The staff was very professional and friendly. Never in all my years of traveling have I felt so at home and welcomed at a hotel. Especially in the city. The lobby area was so comfortable and relaxing. The room was perfect and so comfortable I almost didn't want to leave. The food at the Grant Grill was fantastic and fair priced. Once again though, the service was amazing. I plan to stay at your hotel as much as possible. Thank you for everything!!

• Superior Full Room

Bed and bathroom were amazing. Loved the little touches like the free water and chocolate during turndown service. The staff were exceptionally knowledgeable and helpful in regards to all of my questions. The room was also a lot larger than expected. Would recommend to everyone.

• Reviewed: 26 February 2017

Nothing - the trip and service was excellent!!

I like everything about the US Grant - this is my fourth or fifth stay and the staff is superb as are the accommodations! During my last visit - I worked with the concierge to plan some daytime visits - she recognized me when I saw her in the lobby during this recent trip and we actually hugged! It is that kind of reaction that makes me continue to return!

• Reviewed: 6 February 2017

• Superior King Room

Bed mattresses felt short and pillows were too soft. Bathroom door, which is by the bed, is made of glass so when a person gets up to use the bathroom, light illuminates the room and wakes up the other person. Room windows looked out at other room windows so we felt uncomfortable leaving the curtains open. Room closet was dim and not well lit.

Prompt and courteous valet service was the best service offered at this hotel. Cleaning staff seemed nice. Complimentary water bottles and wifi (though our phones don't need it).

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• Superior King Room

I found nothing that I disliked. Somehat more vanity space around the sink could have been helpful -- but certainly not a deal breaker as is.

The hotel and staff were par excellance. The Conciege -- Lee Ann was superb.

• Reviewed: 31 January 2017

• Superior King Room

I let them know that we were celebrating anniversary/ and a birthday when I called to confirm and then got to the room to a concierge card saying if we need anything special for a birthday or anniversary to let them know which I had already done.

Bed and pillows were amazing. Turning down the bed while we were at dinner was great with the music softly playing.

• Reviewed: 18 December 2016

• Superior King Room

We came one year ago to see An American Christmas and our visit was pretty rough. We returned this year feeling unsure about what to expect. It was absolute heaven. We were checked in right away, all the staff was wonderful, our room was great, and the restaurant was great! We'll be back!!

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

We love the old-world style and comfort of the US Grant - our little dog was even treated like a princess there!! Our room had a park view and was well out of the way of foot traffic. The windows made the room light and bright - we didn't want for a thing!

• Reviewed: 27 November 2016

The staff was outstanding. From check in to checkout. I've travelled a lot in my life and I cannot remember ever being treated so warmly and with such consideration. Ever.

• Reviewed: 1 November 2016

• Superior Full Room

The temporary gym, which is under renovation, is a joke. The carpets in all the hallways have stains. That´s no luxury.

The room is big and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2016

• Deluxe Room

When we got there the a/c was off. It took the whole day, all night til the next morning to cool it down. The next 2 days taking only hot showers because the valve was broken. Never recieved a sorry ,credit or anything. Very dissapointed.

The cleaness and bedding

• Reviewed: 4 October 2016

• Superior King Room

When we arrived, no-one stepped forward to welcome us and help with bags from taxi

Location, room - quiet - staff, coffee and cool refreshing drinks in lobby, bar and friendly and helpfulness staff, concierge in particular

• Reviewed: 16 September 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Disability Access

Unfortunately in the bathroom light fixture we could see the legs of a very disgusting bug hanging out of it.

The hotel was beautiful but the staff is what made our stay. Truly amazing staff! They got us into our room early, gave us other rooms to look at when we didn't like our first room location. They gave us great information about places to go around the city, brought us ice. Just great!! Thanks Marquis and Alejandro!

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Deluxe Room

The room was really hot with the ac all the way down. The staff was pretty scattered and made us wait a while upon checking in. We booked through booking.com thinking it would make the process easier, but it didnt do us any good. We ended up being late to our event we came down to SD for.

The room was spacious and they did a nice job with the decor to take away the older historic feel.

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Superior King Room

We left a breakfast order on the door and it was not delivered in the time checked, had to call to get it delivered. But the meal was good once received. Would of been better if it was closer to Gaslamp area, but you can't move buildings.

high end old school feel of class. Rooms were very nice, view not so much on the 3rd floor

• Reviewed: 4 August 2016

• Superior King Room

Can not say anything negative about the Hotel

The Hotel was in a great central location. The Staff was excellent, from the House Keepes to the Front Desk Staff. They were all neat, well dressed, very friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Reviewed: 30 July 2016

Left a sweater on the bed after checking out. After spending 3000.oo for a stay thought hotel could spend the the 5.oo dollars to mail it to me.

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful could train other hotels on how to treat guest.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Deluxe Room

It was under construction while we stayed which was a bit disappointing. But it didn't affect our room and the staff was good about getting us a room away from any noise

Loved the room

so good

• Deluxe Room

Horrible location and the facility had an odd smell of mustyness.

• Deluxe Room

The size of the room is relatively smaller compared to your average hotel

Staff and cleanliness

Beds were not as comfortable as expected, lots of pillows and expensive bedding, but not the most restful sleep.

• Superior King Room

They defrauded me by charging above the set fee

The WiFi shouldn’t be charged as an extra amenity, since we did pair a fair pricing for the suite

The AC , the path room

Location and lobby

• Superior King Room

I loved the hotel premises, location and staff was very friendly 👍

Smalll bathroon

• Deluxe Room

Valet should be included with the room along with WiFi.

• King Room - Disability Access

Great staff, great rooms, and great view.

Location, comfortable bed,friendly staff

• Superior Full Room

I did not eat on site sorry

You need to pay for the wifi.

Heart warming when I entered the room after a long day of meeting, I saw a piece of chocolate put on the new bed sheets.

• Superior King Room

The cost of valet since there is no self parking option.

Their catering is amazing! Great choices and great taste!

Cossy room and frindly stuff

• Superior King Room

Price of parking is high.

Excellent location and grand interior. Nice and helpful staff.

It took a while to get car from ballet at departure.

Loved the ambiance, and service from check in to check out.

Beautiful well appointed room

• Legacy Suite

We had a legacy suite which was not good value for money. Far better rooms on the bayfront hotels

Nice lobby and bar areas

very expensive

• Deluxe Room

Service was excellent- always friendly and helpful. The room was well appointed and the bed was very comfortable.

Room but small

• Deluxe Room

The us grant is an exceptional hotel. Great views over looking Horton plaza. Beautiful lobby area. It sorta puts you back in time.

• Superior King Room

Great beds, clean, tasteful decor

The location is fabulous

• Reviewed: 29 April 2017

• Deluxe Room

Small room with view of parking lot

Great facilities, clean and luxurious. Professional and knowledgeable staff

Staff

Breakfast was horrible

• Superior King Room

Gorgeously renovated classic hotel which is in the heart of the city. Can't wait to return!

• Reviewed: 19 February 2017

• Superior King Room

Price of breakfast was a bit high.

Our room was beautiful and comfortable. The restaurant was greatand the staff was very polite.

• Reviewed: 16 February 2017