Reviews of The Varden Hotel 3 stars

#9 of 66 hotels in Long Beach

• Reviewed: 16 October 2018

10/10 all around
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Nothing! Everything was 10/10! I normally don't expect much more than a clean, comfortable space while traveling but the Varden went above and beyong!

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful. The happy hour beverages and snacks were and unexpected and welcome touch in a cozy open area. The location was perfect, very close to the water! And of course the room was cozy, efficient, clean, and bright.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Clean, Quiet, and Close
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The hotel was excellent! It was clean, quiet, and close to the downtown and convention center. About 4-5 blocks away from the convention center. I was very impressed when finding this little gem inside the city. Truth be told, I enjoyed staying here more than the Renaissance Hotel which was quite loud on the street side. Good value the staff was so accommodating. I actually stayed two different times. I stayed one night, traveled to Catalina Island and came back to The Varden Hotel. The Hotel was so accommodating that they held my suitcase in their storage for when I returned. It was so helpful and thoughtful. Really good management and people at the hotel. Thank you for helping to make my visit so nice in Long Beach, CA. I recommend to others!

I’d come back
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The mosquitos breeding in the a/c unit in my room. Everytime i would use the a/c, mosquitos would suddenly appear. Very annoying!

Decor was nice

It was a very cute experience. I recommend people try it for themselves.
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

The walls were a little thin and you could hear people taking showers in the morning.

The room was cute and perfect for two people. My partner and I arrived around 5pm and left around 10am. We weren’t there long and it was a perfect little place to stay for a short amount of time. It had everything you needed. The staff was very friendly and I liked that they had little extra surprises for you. They had wine and snacks for guests to have. The continental breakfast was good and it was better then some other places. I liked that they closed the main door at 9pm. That made me feel secure. We walked to downtown Long Beach (which was about a 6 minute walk) and not once did we feel uncomfortable. It was a cute experience and I would definitely come back.

• Reviewed: 11 August 2018

Great location, friendly and super helpful staff.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The mattress wasn't the comfiest and you can hear a lot through the walls but thankfully we had quiet neighbours!

Great location, friendly and super helpful staff. They put out snacks and wine in the evenings and have tea, coffee and fresh fruit available all day!

the great customer service, specially the eye contact
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

I wished when I checked out, they could of taken off my credit card to pay for my other guest who was under my reservation. The other guest were ask to leave a credit card for their room but was never charge for it. I got charge for the whole three rooms :(

the great customer service, specially the eye contact

I can’t speak too highly of the staff - they were very...

Breakfast was poor.

I can’t speak too highly of the staff - they were very friendly and obliging and went out of their way to help. The room was basic but ok.

Nice little hotel with everything you need.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Breakfast was not real breakfast for us.

Our room was relatively small but super clean and had the essentials which was just what we needed. We loved how close it was to downtown where we could just walk to restaurants and places with out how having to drive.

Pleasant experience
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The room is small for the price. Must be the historical value that places it at that price. The walls are thin so prepare for that. Didn't bother me, I had music to drown out the noise.

The neighborhood was safe in my opinion and near main attractions. The size of the room was ideal for me, as I didn't stay in the room very long. The wine offering was a nice touch. Their hospitality and kindness was beyond my expectations. Overall it was a pleasant experience with this place.

stay was nice staff great
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

didn't like the layout room bit small and bed bit small as I asked for king size and view from window was brick wall not much for breakfast and a bit over priced for what you get but guess you pay for modern look

style of room good , location not too bad within walking distance of food and shops

I would stay at this hotel again because of the wonderful accommodating and friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The room is just too small. There is no closet. The sink is difficult to use because there's a shelf right above the sink and if I raised up my head would bump into the shelf. Brushing my teeth was awkward. There is no elevator and I got tired going up and down the stairs. The shower is very small and difficult to move around in. When using the toilet the bathroom space is very tight and I had to reach behind me with my left hand in order to reach the toilet paper roll.

The bed was comfortable, the linen was clean, the towels were clean and plush, staff was very friendly and accommodating.

Peace and quiet we needed for my boyfriends birthday
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

The hotel was super cute and the free wine tasting was an excellent start to our short weekend. The rooms are small, but I expected that. They were so cute and well appointed. I thought it was a great way to maximize space. The staff was excellent, they remembered my name the whole time I was there, that is an unusual thing. Totally worth the trip, and will stay there again.

The employees made the stay. Highly recommend!!!
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Bathroom/shower was a bit small but nothing to ruin the experience, we are just tall people :)

Loved the staff. Everyone is overly friendly and efficient! Each staff member was this way, they made the experience!

My conference was easy and comfortable thanks to the Varden

K-cups are trash.

The simple room with exactly what I needed and not a lot of other fuss. It was great and I'll be staying at the Varden next time I come to LA for sure.

Great staff and location, but rooms are poorly designed.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The bathroom had only a thin sliding wall so didn’t give much privacy. The sink was so tiny it was not possible to use to wash your face. Also no sufficient shelf to put anything in the bathroom. Just a tiny, tiny night stand and small table under the tv with no other table or luggage rack so our stuff was just all over the floor. The curtain in the shower was sooo hard to close. If I wasn’t very tall I wouldn’t have been able to reach high enough to close it. It was also hard to sleep with only 1 pillow.

Staff was great and enjoyed the little perks like the evening wine and snacks. Also great location and pretty comfortable bed. Liked the phone dock/charger thing.

Fun and funky area .Staff exceptional and so helpful and friendly
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The room was clean and tidy. Liked the little 5pm nibbles and as much tea and coffee as you like.

An experience I’ll never forget.
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

Room size could be a tad bigger and missed having a closet.

Location was good and easy parking access. Loved the outdoor mural and history of the building. I did find the room very small for two people but everything inside was so clean that it made up for it. Staff was wonderful and we had a great experience.

It was conviene, and cousi that makes feel like home
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The rack from hanging the clothes was blocking the view of the television

The pillows were on point, the room space was on point. Was on a really combinet location. Everything was a walking distance. The rooms were so cute and felt like home

Cozy place with a lot to see walking distance.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Property is maintained clean, staff is one of the best I have come around. Overall a great pleasure staying at this location, I will definitely be returning.

Excellent choice :)
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The rooms are not really soundproof which would be the only minus I have found.

We were offered a glass of wine directly upon our arrival, Sarah showed us the room personally and was really kind and helpful.

Boutique hotel with excellent decor, polite and helpful...
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Was a bit noisy outside in the late evening, there was a big conference in town.

Boutique hotel with excellent decor, polite and helpful staff, and a great location.

Quaint is often a mixed bag.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Some of the painting the room was chipped. The sink was narrow and small, and placed in an awkward position directly under the glass shelfing.

It's nearness to local hot spots. Within walking distance of the Pike and harbor tours.

Every visit to Long Beach is made better because we know we will be staying at The Varden.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

This is an amazing boutique hotel. Historical, great amenities, and the best staff you could ask for. The rooms are small but very comfortable and space is well utilized.

Fantastic stay - I'll be back again.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

This was a refreshing break from the ordinary. This was a combination of an old European hotel with Tokyo modern finish. Very quiet, very cozy, and very comfortable.

overall good
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

What could use improvement is the shelf above the sink in the room is in a very bad spot, my husband was not able to bend down because he would have hit his head on the shelf also there was rust on the window in the shower that opens outward also there is no elevator but the staff did help us carry up our luggage overall was a very pleasant experience, but it was overpriced for what it was

The staff was very friendly and accommodating, the room was very small but clean, the location was good, the parking was good. .

Little boutique
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

Didn't get the floor requested as previous guest hadn't checked out of room we had booked so ended up on 1st floor room 10 which is at the front of the properth above reception, everyone can be heard coming and going and standing outside under window smoking. Trams run past the window and very noisy.

Clean and central comfortable bed. Staff very friendly and accomodating. Basic breakfast but coffee and water available 24 hours.

Centrally located, clean hotel with friendly staff. Sufficiently comfortable for our short stay.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Bathroom did not deserve to be called a bathroom. Tiny sink in room. Shower almost on top of toilet and practically in room, separated from bed by a thin sliding door. Tiny room. Hate feeling trapped in bed because only one side has access.

Helpful staff

Awesome. Would definitely stay again.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The only minor thing was that our room didn't have coffee/tea making facilities however there was a nice lounge area with this option which was clean and well stocked so is barely a negative.

Great service from the staff. Clean and streamlined room. Very simple but the small stuff is done very well. Comfortable bed with quality linen. Wifi worked great.

Great staff compensated somewhat, but security concerns and unpleasantly small room.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Street people try to enter the hotel and hide in the parking lot, causing worry about the security. The room was VERY tiny--maybe 8.5 x 17--and while clean and in good condition--very sparsely furnished-not at all cozy.

The staff was wonderfully helpful and accommodating. The bed/linens and furniture were nice, Room was sparkling clean and in good repair. The evening wine and snack were nice; as was the morning coffee/continental breakfast.

The staff here was incredibly helpful, the location was...
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Room was very small, but efficient. They made good use of the tiny space. There are other larger rooms, but we were at a festival all day and were only using the room to sleep in.

The staff here was incredibly helpful, the location was great and the room was very clean. This hotel is in the heart of downtown with a lot of places to go and things to see.

The staff is very friendly and welcoming!
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The breakfast was good, but a bit unsatisfying (only few items). Although I asked for lactose free items when I booked, I did not find any patisseries or bread suitable. Even if the metro is very close, reaching Los Angeles takes a while. It is better to go there by car.

The staff is very friendly and welcoming! The room is small but new and nice. You find everything you need. It is very clean. The metro, restaurants, cafes, beach are all pretty close. Also, they offer a nice wine-tasting (included in your staying) every afternoon. Coffee and water available at any time.

Excellent bang for your buck in the cool vibe of downtown Long Beach, CA!!!
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

Not a big room, but very clean and within walking distance to downtown Long Beach. plenty of restaurants, large and small. absolutely met my needs on very short notice.

The hotel is very clean, the staff are all friendly and...
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The bathroom/shower/sink is small and difficult to get ready in the morning. The air conditioning unit is directly above the bed.

The hotel is very clean, the staff are all friendly and super accommodating.

Quiet and small.
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

The shelf over the bathroom sink is terrible. There is not enough room to wash your face. The light around the bathroom mirror is also terrible; just glare, not enough illumination.

Quiet and small.

Disappointed.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Room very small, with double bed pushed against the wall, requiring one person to climb off the end of the bed. Very disappointing breakfast, with a small variety of sweet pastries, definitely not the continental breakfast advertised.

Very modern.

kind staff
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

tiny old, worn out room(#3) motel 6 for half the price will have twice the size room. no coset only 5 hooks to hang cloths. No space to even put a toothbrush by the sink. no shelves & the toilet was pracically under the shower. Scary area to walk outside to the parking especially at night.

kind staff

A good place to stay in Long Beach.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Sound insulation. For example, was able to hear next door snoring, arguments from two-three rooms away, steps above. I surely annoyed someone myself with the TV, keeping it on throughout my stay.

Location, Hospitality, Renovation, Style, Hygiene

Ideally located with Excellent Staff
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

1) A little more variety in the breakfast choices would be nice 2) The beds do not seem to be a standard length-- I am 5'8" yet I always need to scoot up to the very top, almost touching the headboard, just so they do not get off the bed. 3) The shower stall is VERY tight. By the time you avoid hitting the shower faucet handle, you are halfway out the shower stall.

Excellent and friendly staff. Proximity to our corporate offices. Having a cocktail hour was a nice touch

I arrived to the hotel late in the evening and they still...
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Nothing. It was all pretty great for a quick business trip. Very close to court house and Long Beach Administrative area for any attorneys or other business people that need a quick but comfortable place to stay.

I arrived to the hotel late in the evening and they still had a very friendly staff member waiting there, outside, ready to greet me and assist me with my two bags. This was particularly unexpected for a small boutique style hotel. I was even more surprised by the rooms. They are modern, updated and have everything you could ask for for a quick business trip. The size of the room was on the smaller size, but they don't try and hide it and make the best use of the space I have seen for a small size hotel. The staff was also very friendly and welcoming, always eager to assist or just let me go on my way.

• Reviewed: 23 February 2017

Very modern chic interior with the most tremendous helpful and truly friendly staff I have ever had.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Lodging in all of downtown Long Beach is pretty pricey. More than I pay in Seattle, DC, San Francisco . . . you get the idea. Long Beach Citizens need to care more for their city. They treat their city as a trash bin, which detracts from all the downtown hotels not just this one.

Conveniently located on the edge of town, very close to all public transportation, including the ferry to Catalina. Very modern chic interior with the most tremendous helpful and truly friendly staff I have ever encountered, and I have traveled a lot. There is also a great Mexican restaurant right next door. Looks iffy on the outside, but very pleasant inside and great food and service. On the downside the restaurant only takes cash. While I though the place was a bit expensive, it is competitive with other comparable places in downtown Long Beach. Don't let the exterior fool you. It is a very nice place.

• Reviewed: 28 November 2016

Good design and friendly small hotel concept
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Not too much to chose for breakfast, no bread or toasts, it was very simple.

Good design, very friendly with an interesting concept, wine tasting in the evening, coffee machine and fruit at the disposal of the guests.

• Reviewed: 11 November 2016

Good atmosphere and fantastic service
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

Small rooms and short beds

All staff provides a fantastic service and will do their absolutely best, to make sure your stay feels better than good. Clean hotel and rooms. Free coffee and water all day. Relaxed atsmophere and quiet location, very close to downtown Long Beach, and walking distance to beach.

Quick Long Beach stay
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Bed wasn't super comfortable. No elevater but courteous staff helped with my bags up and down stairs.

Great location. Super helpful and courteous staff.

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

The bed was like a cloud, pillows amazing.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Parking, should have been free, water bottles in the room

The bed was like a cloud, pillows amazing.

• Reviewed: 8 October 2018

Small and cozy

Small and cozy

• Reviewed: 1 October 2018

Comfortable bed, accommodation was excellent. Had a great time.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Can't think of any to not like.

Easy location, Plenty of food places for easy walking distance, and very quiet.

• Reviewed: 29 September 2018

Clean.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Clean. Tea, coffee & water available any time and for free. Friendly staff.

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Met my needs and exceeded my expectations.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

I wish they had an elevator.

The price was fair, and the cleanliness and comfort exceeded my expectations.

Clean and very friendly staff

Clean and very friendly staff

Staff very friendly and helpful

No refrigerator in room

Staff very friendly and helpful

Personalized care by staff.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

Personalized care by staff.

We will return again

No view

Very clean

Walls are very thin, I can hear the neighboring rooms and...
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

Walls are very thin, I can hear the neighboring rooms and the bustle in the hallways.

• Reviewed: 24 August 2018

One night before cruise. Basic accommodation . Cheese n wine happy hour

Shower pressure

Location, price, quirky

Great experience, wouldn’t hesitate to refer or comeback !

Parking fee :(

CLEAN ROOM AND KIND HELPFUL STAFF!!!

• Reviewed: 3 August 2018

a kind staff;
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

not a good location; a tiny room and bathroom; an uncomfortable bed

a kind staff; a clean room

The staff are very supportive

location not too appealing

reasonably priced

Bed was comfortable.

Bathroom was small..

Bed was comfortable. Very welcoming, free wine, clean

It was better than I anticipated, would definitely stay there on my next visit to Long Beach
    • Urban Room with One Double Bed - Third Floor/Non-Smoking

Very small sink and no plug.

Very friendly staff, good location.

The bed was wonderful.

Smallroom size but adequate for 1 person

The bed was wonderful.

Great things come in small packages
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The room was small, but very quaint. Expect a small but beautiful room.

The staff was amazing and was a great location.

Very pleasant stay enhanced by super friendly staff!

I prefer a firmer bed

Quick in & out (First floor, great parking)- perfect for my purposes this visit!

Breakfast choice very limited

Breakfast choice very limited

Comfy pillows

Small

Comfy pillows

Perfect.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The staff was terrific....went far and beyond. What a gem of a hotel

The staff was super friendly and attentive.

Breakfast could be improved

The staff was super friendly and attentive.

I’d stay there again
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The friendly staff and excellent clean room

short and sweet
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

the staff there is very friendly and helpful!

The bed so small far 2 people

The bed so small far 2 people

Adequate for overnight

Very small room.

History of the building.

The staff was excellent and the room was very clean.
    • Classic Room with One Double Bed- First Floor/Non-Smoking

The staff was excellent and the room was very clean. I will stay there again.

The hotel is in a great location and was convenient for my nearby family.
    • Deluxe Room with One Double Bed- Second Floor/Non-Smoking

The Varden staff went out of their way to be helpful and offer suggestions for excursions in the area