Reviews of The Westin Alexandria 4 stars

400 Courthouse Square, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA

#13 of 41 hotels in Alexandria

• Traditional King Room

They have no pool and the walls were very thin. We had to move rooms because of a screaming child and even when we moved we could hear the people next to us as if we were in the conversation but thankfully they weren’t around much.

The staff was accommodating and the rooms were very clean.

• Traditional Double Room

I did not like spending $300+ for a room and not having any breakfast included. I’ll never stay here again.

The bed was very comfortable. But I was placed in a room that deprived me of a better outside view.

• Traditional Double Room

The beds were hard and pillows especially uncomfortable-- far too many too. Rooms are nowhere near elevators. No signage for where the ice could be found. The $5 refund for going green and skipping housekeeping could only be used at two venues I wouldn't use.

Elevators fast and comfortable. Nice decor.

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

Staff is great - friendly, efficient, competent. The most comfortable bed we have ever slept in - bedding was immaculate! Location of hotel is great. Valet parking was convenient and efficient.

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

The service was really lacking for a four-star hotel, from valet to restaurant staff to front desk personnel. Either not so friendly or just not paying attention. The valet would never tell me my car was there, or open the door for me. It was odd.

Beds and rooms were nice. Housekeeping was good. Gym was nice.

• Traditional King Room

The staff at the front desk were not friendly at all. I was in the lobby waiting because my room was being cleaned and the valet pulled my car out front. I did not call for my car. I made them aware and they returned it. I went up to my room and my key didn’t work... they said it was demagnetized... it was not near any magnets, the lady gave me another and seemed annoyed. I went up to my room and that one didn’t work either. I went back down to let them know and a man went in the back and made me another, he said that maybe my watch demagnetized it. I don’t think so, I think they checked me out accidentally when they were checking someone else out and that is why my car was pulled around. My daughters key didn’t work either when she returned. I also don’t like that they charge a $50/day incidental charge. I was not made aware of this while booking. When I was checking out the man said this would be reversed within 3-5 business days. I feel that should be listed on the website. Marvin and a lady with dark hair who checked me in were the only staff members that were kind and helpful.

• Traditional Double Room

The only drawback of this hotel is their nickel and diming you on wireless service!! Who charges for wireless connection these days??!! One can sit in Starbucks or many cafes and get that for free!!!

• Traditional Double Room

The lack of a self parking spot was the only drawback; one has to use the valet service which adds up to one's expenses.

The restaurant located at the hotel was convenient and had a great breakfast with eggs cooked to your liking. The bar was also great with friendly servers etc.. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Traditional Double Room

No free Wi-Fi. Valet or public paid parking only, though it wasn't too pricey. No breakfast either.

Good location, quiet area, very clean, and good quality

Front Desk Customer Representatives; lack of amenities; lack of cleanliness

If there was a way of giving a .5 star; I'd do it after this trip .... So last weekend, my girlfriend and I stayed here on Friday (8 Dec) since my company held their Christmas party there on Friday evening. I had previously booked my reservation through Booking.com, had checked the website and even called the hotel as well as called Booking.com directly to ask them about any possible incidental charges that would be occurring as I do know it's a possibility that they may occur. They had informed me that there was no such thing and that my guaranteed price was a set amount. Now bare in mind, I have traveled a lot and have stayed at much nicer luxurious hotels than this one to include some well-known resorts and have never had it where they charged me an incidental fee. When we had gotten to the hotel, the front desk customer representative attempted to run my card for $20 over what the price was and my card was declined. I asked why it was declined and she explained that I was being charged $20 extra for incidentals and that ALL hotels charge this. After trying to talk to her about the situation even though with her snotty attitude, my girlfriend agreed to pay and then she increased the price of the incidental fee from $20 to $50 for the room incidentals. My girlfriend asked me how long it would take to return and she said it would be returned immediately upon checkout. (She has yet to receive it back and it's Wednesday and I know it takes a bit of time but still don't promise something to a customer just to get them to leave you alone). Bare in mind that my company paid a lot of money for this party. Upon staying in the hotel, the room wasn't the nicest room and wasn't very thoroughly cleaned (very disappointing) but then again she and I were only there for the night as my company's party was the primary focus.

• Traditional Double Room

the refridge in 1st room froze everything I had. I asked the next morning about it at the desk and they said they would take care of it immediately. I was gone all day for class nothing was done. Everything still frozen at 6PM. Moved ME to another room because of the occupants of the next door room being exceedingly loud - and that refridge actually was HEATING the food.

Yes the bed was exactly like a cloud - amazing.

• Traditional Double Room

Gabriela at the front desk was not kindly at all. The room needed mantenaince: fhe bkinders chain was broken since we checked inn, the phone was not working -only by speaker- and the WC was not working, there was no TV control. Even though we told them, the blinders chain and the phone did not work during my stay, and Never had the option of a new room!

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

The fridge in our room did not work, we reserved a king room but they did not have any available so we were stuck with a double room instead, the shower had hair in it from the last guests, and the parking is only valet (but included in your stay so you only need tip).

The beds were very comfortable, the restaurant was great (food was excellent and had a great drink selection), the rooms were relatively clean, and the neighborhood is great for walking and dining.

• Traditional King Room

Meals were a bit pricey so had to eat off site a few times.

The staff was very nice nice and accomodating to guests. Valet personnel quite responsive as well. Also appreciated proximity to Metro station, made transportation to work stress free.

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The accessible room for people with disabilities, and especially its bathroom, was not ideal in several respects: much too little space for cosmetics etc. at the wash table, and close to the mirror; no toilet seat so that the seat in the shower was the only place to sit. Moreover, the shower had to be hand held, and for possible not handicapped partners, there was no opportunity to get a decent shower standing. Finally, though the hangers in a height accessible by wheelchair were in principle nice, some of other height would have been helpful to hang coats and dresses (assuming there is an accompanying partner. Having said this, however, I can praise the personnel that was more than willing to transfer my partner and me to another room.

Spacious room, tastefully decorated. Vriendly service by all personnel in the lobby.

• Traditional King Room

Unhelpful staff and manager at check-in, hassling me about a PIN for my corporate card which I have never had to provide at any other hotel. Drain in bathtub was sluggish with standing water during shower. Toilet didn't flush properly.

Clean room, good bed and large flat screen TV.

• Traditional King Room

I thought the hotel nickel and dimed too much. Parking is $34 a day, internet is $10 a day if you want to connect more than 1 device (I think it is $5 a day for one device), I am pretty sure they charge for phone calls (including local).

The bed (sheets, actual bed, etc.) was nice. The room was modern and updated.

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

Hotel was more interested in serving the visiting Green Bay Packers than other guests. Very inconvenient for a wedding party to be waiting around for the Packer buses to move. Guests were rushed to unpack their cars and hustled into the lobby to get out of the way for the all mighty Packers. Parking is very expensive an inconvenient. Bed was very firm and I didn't sleep well at all.

Front desk staff and Bell hop were exceptionally helpful.

• Traditional King Room

A fee to the Internet? That is a joke. Had I known that, I would have stay elsewhere. I will cancel my Starwood whatever it is, and never stay at another Starwood property.

The bed was like a cloud.

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

Eggs were $16 for a plate and you only can use valet parking which takes forever, we booked this since our other hotel didn't have an extra room for us an I did not like this place.

The shower head was nice. I liked the free bottle of water we got.

• Traditional King Room

Wifi was expensive. Definitely not free. Parking was expensive. Valet $30 daily. The parking garage at the hotel was expensive as well. Paying for parking every time you move your car is ridiculous. The shuttle driver was rude. Solomon was the most unprofessional shuttle driver that i have ever encountered.

The front desk staff was friendly. Robin did an excellent job with customer service. She was on top of any request we had and made sure the issue was resolved. Deangelo was also gd at ck out.

• Reviewed: 23 June 2017

• Traditional King Room

Wi-Fi was expensive and flaky. The restaurant was ridiculously expensive. The room was dusty and obviously was only quickly spot cleaned before I checked in.

Rooms were, uh, roomy, staff was friendly and polite. Excellent whiskey list for a hotel restaurant. The gift shop made a point of checking whether the umbrella I bought worked before selling it to me. On the other hand, they did that because all sales from the gift shop were final.

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

This place overcharged, and I also felt nickel & dined. Paid Wi-Fi??? Who does that? They should consider opening an airline with that philosophy. Room Service was good but way overpriced.

Great access to Old Town, Metro, and Andrews ADV. FRIENDLY staff.

• Reviewed: 2 June 2017

• Traditional Double Room

The difficulty in printing the invoice as requested. Their excuse was that being booked by booking they could not changed. First time I heard such nonsense.

The Lending Gear service: useful and efficient

• Traditional King Room

Everything else! We booked a King room. When we checked in the hotel told us there wasn't a king room available and we would have to stay in a double room instead. After talking to the manager she gave us the room key to a King room that wasn't even finished being cleaned yet! The cleaning lady was still in the room making the beds and taking trash out of the room while we were taking showers. We had reservations for my birthday dinner we were trying to make so this was completely inconvenient to have housekeeping still cleaning a room we were already given the key to. Mind you we checked in around 7:30PM. Totally unacceptable and unexpected from a Westin Hotel. Definitely put a sour taste in our mouths about booking another stay at this hotel chain.

The Location.

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

• Traditional Double Room

Bathroom had black hair on toilet, feces on floor with bits of tp. Had to shower in flip flops and walk around in shoes. Made sleeping difficult for fear of sleeping on filth.

Hotel wasn't busy. Quick and easy to get car from valet.

• Traditional King Room

You have to pay $30 for valet parking or street parking is free from 12a-6a, so once morning hit we had to keep feeding the meter every hour @ 1.75. Also their poool has been out of service since January and no microwave to heat up left overs - they were going to "bring one to our room" but all the microwaves "were in use".

Hotel and room was fancy, modern, clean, and comfortable! Staff was excellent!

• Traditional King Room

The only thing I didn't like that breakfast wasn't included and that they didn't have a pool

The bed was really comfortable!! Nice environment very quiet I loved it!!

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

• Traditional Double Room

Hotel has no pool although it was advertised. Kids were very disappointed. However, hotel did comp us a fabulous breakfast.

Close to metro, very friendly staff and clean, comfortable room and beds

• Traditional King Room

Several of us ordered the breakfast buffet and the food was cold. The parking was expensive, when we noticed the surrounding garages were about 1/5 the price.

The room was spacious. The bed was so comfortable. The rain shower was soothing.The bar area was fantastic and the service excellent.

• Reviewed: 13 February 2017

• Traditional King Room

We arranged for a late checkout, but information wasn't passed on to the head of housekeeping. We also had to make sure we were charged properly for the valet parking.

The bed was really nice. We enjoyed a good night's sleep. There was also a water fall shower we liked in the bathroom. The coffee and tea maker in the room was also easy and convenient, and you were given a free water bottle each day.

• Reviewed: 8 February 2017

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

10:00PM wanted a bottle of water and room service called us at 11:30PM and asked us if we still wanted the water. We were sleeping.

Clean and comfortable.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

The staff put me in a ADA compliant room instead of a regular room. Also had trouble getting my keys to work. Showering in an ADA bathroom is not something I'm use to or comfortable with.

The staff had no personality wasn't as friendly as I'm use to when checking into a hotel. The staff didn't even provide details on where the elevators were (even though they were easy to find). Basic customer service wasn't on the list of priorities for the staff at this hotel. The value based on the bed and quality of the room was there but the lack of guest services really was disappointing.

• Reviewed: 24 January 2017

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

WE HAD NO HOT WATER in the shower for two of our three days. We paid &1,029 and couldn't take a shower!

The beds were very comfortable. The room was fine.

• Reviewed: 9 January 2017

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The restaurant was regrettably a let down. Even with only a handful of patrons, service took a very long time, partly due to the cooks making the wrong orders for people (more than once), special instructions were only half-followed, with only a shrug when asked about it, and drink refills being non-existent. For the price of 2 people, we were able to feed 4 anywhere else.

Very accomodating front desk staff. Rooms were pristine and the beds were comfortable. Plenty of options for charging devices including built-in USB ports. Very high quality hotel overall.

• Traditional King Room

No hot water in the bathroom! The staff was notified of the problem and were going to fix it. This happened on the morning of our departure, too late for us to use the shower before departing!

The room was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 17 November 2016

• Traditional Double Room

Should've requested a room that didn't connect and was away from the elevator. It was very noisy.

Very clean and modern. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: 5 November 2016

• Traditional King Room

The room they gave me was a long walk from the elevator. The room did not have a microwave. For the price, I expected more

The bar/restaurant is fantastic.

• Reviewed: 17 October 2016

• Traditional King Room

Hate to say this but you really should train your Indian employees in English MUCH better before they have to inter-act with American guests. Very sweet, nice people but the language barrier was extremely difficult and uncomfortable. Also, the way we were practically ripped out of the shuttle in front of the hotel was not appreciated either. Really, they play a game - we were paying guests! Come on!

Hotel was beautiful

• Reviewed: 12 October 2016

• Traditional Double Room

Reservation with booking not smooth at checking in. Locks on door and problems with key. Problem with Internet as none dog member. Wait for car valet. Problem with credit cards denied

Friendly staff

• Reviewed: 11 October 2016

• Traditional Double Room

Internet connection to room under payment, business center usage under payment, fair value for money. this hotel is too expensive for the services provided

Bed extra comfy, room and private bathroom clean, cleaning service daily

• Reviewed: 25 September 2016

• Traditional King Room

Pricing for parking, simple things like a bottle of water and a late nite snack is way too expensive. A turkey sandwich, bottle of soda and 2 bottles of water should not cost $36.00. That is a discouragement too wanting to enjoy an in room treat.

Cozy, comfortable. Felt like home.

• Reviewed: 10 September 2016

• Traditional King Room

It would be nice if they extended the swimming pool and hot tub stayed open later on the weekends.

So many nice details! It's a very pretty and comfortable hotel. The lobby clock was impressive! The restaurant was a surprisingly good deal, delicious food and drinks without feeling that we over paid for convenience!

• Reviewed: 2 September 2016

• Traditional Double Room

The night manager an Argentine I believe. Very helpful and accommodating, I booked a stay on the way there. When I arrived my information was not on the computer. Traveling with 3 grandchildren and a handicapped daughter in a wheelchair take, the selection of the date of stay, was a later date. Andrés I believe his name is guided me through the channel to rectify my dilemma and he did, nice person, pleasant experience.

• Reviewed: 16 August 2016

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

Pool was a little smaller than I expected but it was still nice.

The room was beautiful and the bed was amazing!! Great shuttle service, too! Everyone was very nice and super helpful.

• Reviewed: 10 August 2016

• Deluxe Double Room with Two Double Beds

The valet and reception staff . Also When I checked out the converge said to me in loudly voice in main loby your hand bag very heavy near the reception while other guest waiting

Location and facility

• Reviewed: 8 August 2016

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

Having to pay for the wifi or become a rewards member was a little annoying- although the now I'm a rewards member!

I loved the bed- It was very comfortable.

• Reviewed: 26 July 2016

• Traditional Double Room

I didn't like the fact that parking wasnt free. The refrigerator didn't get very cool at all.

Yes the bed was like a cloud. The room was comfortable and clean. The staff was very accommodating.

• Traditional Double Room

Couldn't channel fresh air into the room at all so had some comfort issues with the air conditioning.

Street parking was free overnight, pay by meter during the day. Easy access to the beltway. Staff friendly and facilities quite nice.

• Reviewed: 14 July 2016

Unfortunately I was there for business and had very early morning meetings which was awful for getting to sleep early on Friday and Saturday nights when many people were in the hallway fairly loud up until about 3am and my meetings started at 6am. Extremely limited menu from restaurant that food was just ok - overly salty.

• Traditional Double Room

That WiFi was not available in the room w/o an extra charge. A small continental breakfast should have been included. The Westin breakfast is so overpriced and the service slow.

The shuttle service is a big plus.

• Traditional King Room

This facility does not have a pool or a spa.

Great location! Easy to get to and very clean.

• Traditional King Room

Limited menu in the restaurant.

• Traditional Double Room

WiFi is not a basic service. However the cost was waived since we were Starwood members. Also sink did not drain well.

Staff and cleanliness

• Traditional Double Room

Wifi was an extra daily charge.

Genuinely friendly and caring staff.

• Traditional King Room

The staff makes sure you have a pleasant stay

The atmosphere. Nice and peaceful.

• Traditional King Room

Great location and love the service @ Trademark Great menu - very quiet to boot!

• Traditional King Room

Bathroom was not cleaned well. Floor was not vacuumed well.

• Traditional King Room

Welcoming and quiet room. Very nicely appointed everything.

Wonderful service all around

Parking

Cleanliness

• Traditional King Room

The WiFi was not free in guest rooms. In 2018 all nice hotels MUST offer strong and free WiFI access in all guest rooms.

Bed very comfortable

Valet park 30+ a nite breakfast not included

Micro brew selection

• King Room with Roll-In Shower - Disability Access

I had two incidences with personnel that were downright rude.

The property, lobby were impressive.

• Traditional Double Room

Parking was scarce and expensive.

Quiet, beds were comfy. Staff was friendly.

Water was not hot

Room

• Traditional Double Room

Room had a funny smell - like previous folks had a dog. The water pressure was not to be found at the sink, shower was OK

• King Room with Bath - Disability Access

Vibrant and all the while relaxing.

• Traditional Double Room

Extra charges on credit card after I got home

Bed was very comfortable and the room was fresh and clean. There was plenty of lighting in the room.

The menu at the restaurant doesnt have beef.

All facilities are great.

Older shower/tub combo

Nice bedding

• Traditional Double Room

Super clean. Comfy bed, spacious. Nice staff.

• Traditional Double Room

No wii fi in room. Has to pay!!!

• Traditional King Room

high price for valet parking

towels soft, elevator ability, modern design of room, shuttle service and drivers very cordial