Reviews of The Wharf Inn 2 stars

2601 Mason Street, Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA 94133, USA

#133 of 230 hotels in San Francisco

We were travelling with 7 people and driving a large van with handicap plates. If anyone has ever been to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco then you will know parking is at a premium. I contacted the hotel in advance and they said we could park in their handicap parking spot, hours before check-in time saving us the trouble of trying to find parking. Location was excellent! They up graded one of our rooms to a 2 bedroom which was nice because we had 3 teen boys with us :)

Classical music is blasting all through the night just outside our bedroom.

When checking in we were incorrectly given the wrong room and before we even got to our car to get our luggage the staff member had noticed the error, offered us an upgrade for 'the trouble' and offered us free parking for the night. Great customer service!

The building is a bit outdated and I only had one outlet that worked to charge my phone and computer. I was also charged twice for my stay randomly two days after I had already paid for everything when I first checked in. I get notifications sent to my e-mail when I am charged over a certain amount and had been sent a notification around 11pm that I was charged another $600 on top of the total amount that had already gone through. I was still awake so I walked down to the front desk right away and the night desk attendant said to come back in the morning because he couldn't do anything. In the morning, the new front desk person was very helpful in looking into it for me but he said he could not find anything about the extra charge. Luckily I was able to contact BECU and work everything out, but I am not sure why the charge was sent through a second time.

We chose this place because it had the best location and value for the money and were definitely not disappointed. It is not as luxurious as other hotels in downtown SF but it's only a block from Fisherman's Wharf, a short walk to Ghiradelli Square, and we were able to easily walk down to Pier 33 for the ferry to Alcatraz and see the Embarcadero. The parking was $35 a night but it was super convenient. I had gotten charged twice for my stay and went down to the front desk and they were very helpful in looking into it for me. I would definitely recommend this place if you want a decent (not upscale) place in the heart of it all. Also, I highly recommend trying the Irish Coffee at Gold Dust Lounge around the corner and also the baked potatoes at Hot Spud just across the street! AMAZING

The walls are very thin.. i was on second floor, could hear all the noise from room up above mine.. 😡 didn’t sleep the first night.. i will stay again but will request room on 3rd floor..

I liked that the room was literally across the st from the wharf.. great location..

Bedrooms seem to have been decorated to a good standard but the bathroom was dated and looked tatty.

Great location right by Fisherman's Wharf. Great room with some nice touches (complimentary bottles of water, tea bags etc.). Surprisingly quiet for its location. Helpful staff, would stay again.

The heat in our room would not go off the first night we were there. It got extremely hot in our room even with all the windows open. We had no option but to open the door to let some air in too. Of course, then we could not sleep knowing the door was wide open. We tried calling the front desk several times but got no answer. The next morning when we talked to the front desk they said we needed to talk to the manager. Even after leaving several messages for the manager to call us and stoppng at the front desk many times over the 5 days we were there, no one ever contacted us. That is what we call HORRIBLE customer service!!!!!!!!

There were no outlets for charging phones... we had to unplug lamps. It was also loud at times since it's a motel-style place that is open to the outdoors. It got pretty warm in the room with no AC.

The location was great and the room was pretty clean. It was definitely one of the lowest price hotels in the area, but still crazy expensive since it's San Francisco.

No air conditioning, which for the time of year not too bad. The extra fan and ceiling fan did help.

Friendly people. Considering the age of the hotel very clean rooms and bathroom.

Great location right next to Fisherman's Wharf. Beds are comfortable, rooms are decent sized. The included parking makes this a pretty good value...

• King Room with Two King Beds

I am very up-set that the Wharf Inn is now charging for parking and there are several extras tacked on to the bill. Way too many surcharges. WHAT HAPPENED WHARF INN MONEY GREED TOOK OVER SEE u NOT SOON!!!!!!! a VERY SAD CUSTOMER

Pillows were too hard

Location was excellent with the Big Bus right across the street and supermarkets and restaurants close by.Reception staff Gary was exceptionally helpful.A mini fridge in the room would have been appreciated,.We would definitely stay there if we visit San Francisco again.

We had stayed there before. The hotel is not air conditioned but for the times of the year when we have always stayed there no problem. Staff were very good and all from cleaning to front office were invariably friendly.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

A great little hotel but it needs a little work. An upgrade to the hallway lighting, replace all bulbs with warm white LED bulbs to be brighter and "greener", would make the whole place feel brighter and safer at night. Weatherstripping around the doors to the deck on second floor might keep a little of the truck and vagrant noise, and there's a lot of it, that goes on all night out of the room. Honestly the view of the bay from our balcony was okay but probably more of a negative than an expensive plus. The rooms that face the north cindercrete block wall are way cheaper and probably a lot quieter. I was disappointed there was no fridge or microwave in a $400++ per night room, really??

The staff was great. Gary in particular was very helpful in helping me set up our 25th Anniversary stay. It's nice and close to the Wharf and the parking was nice to have.

We were given a free upgrade with a balcony.I wish they would have told us it's was on the st and was loud. Horrible night, I think he knew what he was doing.

Close to pier and cheaper than almost anything else. We were there before and it was good, just don't get a balcony.

There were some ants in the bathroom. The hotel charges an additional 51 USD charge for cleaning services apparently not included in the "room rate". There is also very high California taxes to add to your hotel fee. The hotel is really aged and dated, but if you want something price conscious with a good location it will do.

It is a very basic hotel, actually its more like a motel. The beds were the highlight - they were very comfortable. Also the location to the Wharf was great.

Facility has seen its better days. Black ants in bathroom shower dripped noisy as hell bathroom no bigger than a small closet stall smell

Close to fishermans wharf and thats about it

• Penthouse Suite

The apartment is advertised as the “penthouse” but is very old and tired. The lift did not go to the apartment so we had to lug our luggage up many stairs in order to get to the room! The wifi didn’t really work in many areas of the apartment and required us to walk downstairs in order to properly load the internet

Great location and good little apartment with all facilities. Staff very nice and very helpful when we had issues trying to book basketball tickets online.

• King Room with Two King Beds

A little noisy, a little outdated & a little pricey, but then again, it is San Francisco.

Room was clean, location was EXCELLENT to Fisherman's Wharf. A little pricey but you're paying for location. Overall, was VERY pleased!!

Noise and light. We couldn't close the end sides of the heavy drapery all the way and the light outside the room was bright. The noise level outside the room was 24/7, but we expected some of it at night.

Location, friendly staff, clean room.

Whole night music on the street from neighbourhood. Room is clean but very old.

Location with a lot of restaurants. Parking of the car in Hotel. Comfort of the bed.

• King Room with Two King Beds

Ants in the bathroom, slight mould around shower seals. No fridge, or ice machine anywhere - that was not great. We had no idea there would be parking charges as these were not evident on the website - in fact I chose it as I was convinced the parking was included in the price - not so. We had to bump our stay a couple of days at short notice and were penalised with hefty extra charges that seemed a little punative.

Location was great. Beds were comfortable. Good shower.

There were broken windows in a lot of the rooms, they didn't have a safety lock on the door, no safe in the room. To many druggies hanging around the front of the hotel, very loud. It was way over priced for what we got. I did not feel safe.

It was walking distance to every where we were going.

• One-Bedroom Suite

Be careful here, the hotel attendant checking me out charged me for parking, even though parking was advertised as free. After pressing him on it, he said it was a "new policy" but did refund the charge. The street traffic outside the hotel is extremely loud all night long. The sofa beds are impossible to sleep on. Towels had hairs on them. Overall a pretty dumpy place in a very dirty, crowded part of San Francisco.

Just across the street from the Fisherman's Wharf area, which is very crowded and touristy. Within relative walking distance of Lombard Street and Coit Tower.

• Penthouse Suite

Quite tired and dated, however location is what this property has really going for it. Internet connection was terrible, we were unable to access it consistently our entire trip. I got better connection sitting on the Hop on Hop off bus across the road!

The location is excellent, right in the heart of Fishermans Wharf. Beds were amazing, so comfortable and large. Great pressure in the shower and double sinks in bathroom were a bonus. We stayed in the Penthouse which was well appointed and a good size with views of the city and water from both front and back decks. Good for families.

The fact that they dont replace water inside the room and toiletries. But its just a small thing.

It is pretty near Pier 39 and walking distance if you are into long walks to downtown

Nothing really

The location was tremendous 5 minutes stroll to Fisherman’s Wharf and pier 39 Even closer to an excellent coffee shop and bakery for breakfast Convenience store across the road for emergency supplies

No air con in our room but it did have a fan. This was fine for us at the time of year (March) we went, but it may be lacking in the heat of summer.

Beds very comfy. Great location for Fishermans Wharf and pier 39.

What we didn’t like was the noise after 10pm of a car honking several times for several minutes each time. Car was parked in the hotel parking. Would stay here again but would request a room on a different side.

We liked the location. Staff was amazing.

the hotel in general is so old and dirty. the beddings, toilet are yacky

the hotel is old and very dirty. it is poorly maintained and needs general rehabilitation. do not stay in this hotel so as not ruin your vacation. better to just sleep in your car and use public toilet.

• King Room with Sofa Bed

Construction happening across from the hotel which was very loud and made it tough to sleep.

the location was excellent. The staff was great. Parking was super easy. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

Needs updating. The water is hot or hotter. Never could get it cool enough to take a comfortable shower.

Location was great. It was quiet given we were in downtown San Fran. Extended parking made the trip a success.

Found old wrappers under bed - the rest of the room was/ looked clean. I guess they just don't clean under the bed. Also, the walls were very thin, so you could hear outside and the 711 across the way played classical music, which you could hear all night.

Close to many attractions

I was charged for items that were not informed on booking during my reservation. Apparently the hotel changed its policies sometime between the day I made my reservation and the day I showed up. This is way wrong and Booking should not allow it

Location, that’s all

Room was small, hard to find a place to put 2 suitcases. Walls are thin so we could hear people above and next to us.

Great location Comfy bed Friendly helpful staff

Location. Location was great. No frills but clean, comfortable and staff very helpful!! Price BEST in the Wharf! View from Balconies great especially at nite.

The only thing that I can really say, is there seems to be little parking, and what there is, is hard to get in and out of. There is no air conditioning, but it is the Bay, and not really needed. Besides, you get a ceiling fan, and small fans on either side of the bed, if you need them.

One block from Fisherman's Wharf, surrounded by all things San Fran tourist, but there is a great local's bar only three blocks away. I use a knee scooter at the moment, due to a foot injury, but was able to walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Old and shabby looking..decor severely outdated, superthin walls, you hear everything from all around you. Electric was out for a while.

The street was very noisy. 7-11 was right under the balcony, as was the bus stops. Lots of drunks and loud tourists all night.

It was within 5 minutes to pier 39 and fisherman's wharf.

Rooms are dated and small and the walls are quite thin.

Excellent location. So close to Fisherman’s wharf, and Pier 39 and the Alcatraz ferry is in walking distance. Warm room with a big comfortable bed. Staff were very helpful.

Rooms are small.

Location! A few steps from Fishermans Wharf and surrounded by restaurants and a seven eleven right across the street. It is well-kept Motel built in 1959 without air conditioning - just for you to know. Park on site, friendly staff.

Room was small. Bathroom could use an upgrade. The shower hot water was uneven and the shower was small. There is no air conditioning so the room was a little stuffy. But overall it was what we were looking for.

The location is fantastic. We were able to walk easily to pier 39, and pier 41. We would stay here again. The bed was very comfortable. The parking is very convenient and secure with easy access to our car.

They had some issues with electrical work at the time of our stay. They were doing minor renovations to some of the rooms. One of the rooms the TV didn’t work. They Immediately took care of it. I overheard other guests had issues with the plumbing. Ours was fine.

Location was very convenient. Walking distance to pier 39 and other area attractions. Staff was helpful, they answered all our questions and pointed out things to do and restaurants in the area. Complementary coffee and hot chocolate available in the lobby. Beds were comfortable. Free parking!

Thin walls, high traffic noise, electrical issues, no air and front desk controls the heat. This place needs a face lift. Water fluctuations between hot and cold .

Friendly staff, comfortable bed, clean room

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The halls and floors outside the rooms need to be cleaned better. They are in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint (a lot of scuff marks) and the ceramic tile floors need a good cleaning. In our room there were three small LED table lamps, only 2 of which worked and the amount of light emitted was most minimal. More lighting would really be appreciated, perhaps a floor lamp by the love seat. There is no coffee in the room, only in the office which you have to go down to the street level to get. If you are going in the summer, there's no AC.t

The bed was very comfortable and it appears the hotel is attempting to update the facility. Our room had new counter tops and a new mattress, a flat screen TV and a love seat, all appeared pretty new.

Room is big , bathroom is big ( in NY they would do 5 out of that room ) bed is huge, very comfy with 6 pillows! And location!!!!!!!!! <3 it is opposite to pier 39 ! :) It can be noisy on the street side, but in toiletries they provide earplugs , such a nice touch :)

The price through you was extortionate, even the manager was shocked at what we paid. We could have got it for at least half the price. We are not happy with Booking.com.

The rate quoted for the standard provided!

This hotel was basic. Shower and beds were fine but no facilities, no coffee shop at a price that was DOUBLE what it should be - even the manager agreed that the rate given through Booking.com was extortionate. I checked and I could have obtained a stay at the Marriott or Sheraton for a total of $600 not $930!

Mostly, I didnt like their strict policies. Our flight changed to an earlier day and we contacted them 3 weeks prior to our arrival and they would not refund our night. We actually only stayed 1 night out of the 3 and could not get any refunds. I travel all the time and even if the policy says nonrefundable, most places work with us. This place did not. Even with a bit of sugar and steam. We also thought it was run down. For an extra $50/night, the Zephyr looks nice. Pier 2620 looks nice too. I will go elsewhere next visit and pay the extra money

You cant beat the location. There are a ton of other places in this location also that would have been a better fit for us

Additional cost to access the room early. Check in was 3 but we arrived early. The room was ready but it costs

So close to the Main Street Within walking distance to most things. And the hop on hop off bus is just across the road. Security was good as you needed your room key to access the lift.

The shower controls were horrible. Where they have a button in bathroom for heat lamp they use flood lights, which produce NO heat. Toilet leaked, you can hear the water every few minutes.

Location was excellent

• King Room with Sofa Bed

The only thing I didn’t like was the view out of our room was mostly of a business with a lot of homeless, it was very noisy at night and when we first got there a little early they wanted to charge us extra for parking in the parking lot.

I really enjoyed how close the hotel was to the wharf and the safety features put into place by the hotel. The beds were comfortable and I really appreciated the little extra amenities they gave you in the room. The staff was very friendly and I really appreciated the little coffee and chocolate bar they had .

‘Cannot do attitude’ from the staff (regarding changing the room for less claustrophobic one, later check out), value for money

Comfortable bed, good quality wifi, perfect location

Ever so slightly dated but we booked for the location knowing we just needed a place to sleep and safely store our car and luggage, etc.

Great location at a reasonable price. Great to have car parking included along with all the other expected inclusions such as wifi, cable TV, etc.

Attention to cleaning details. As I mentioned above. There was a sheet put on backwards and a bloody scab underneath. This seems like a quick fix. There was a towel that was ripped up, tons of holes in it and unusable. The carpeting needs a re-do, it is raised in sections and felt as old as the place looks.

When we got there the front desk agent was lovely, wonderful customer service. We got to our room and it was clean enough. However the carpet felt as if it was too big for the room and had seen better days (I wasn't comfortable walking in bare feet). I always take the precaution to check the beds for bugs, I had a bed bug infestation once and do not wish to repeat that. When looking at the sheets, I saw something through the top fitted sheet and lifted it up to see what was under, we noticed that the sheet itself was on backwards (I've read that sometimes this happens to cut time for the cleaning crew, I hope this isn't the case here. There was a scab or blood of some sort. We found one of the housekeepers and she was super accommodating in changing all the sheets (I would have been happy with just the top sheet) she even brought in new towels. Unfortunately one of the towels (we didn't notice until the next day) was completely ripped to shreds, holes throughout, and seeing as we were checking out, I didn't bother to ask for a new one. The cleanliness or appearance of cleanliness is to be desired. However, the Customer service response was wonderful. They do seem like they want their guests to enjoy their time. In looking at it for location, it was great for walking around and getting to various places. I picked it because the price including parking was enticing. I don't know at this point if I would stay again. The beds were comfortable, the place just needs a bit of a make-over as far as attention to detail.

The noise from the street could be a lot late evening but once you were in your room it was ok

The staff were so helpful, right down to helping me choose a delivery place and then waiting for it to be delivered for me. I was so impressed I shared my dinner with the night staff. Its was over the road from the 7-11 which was super handy cause there was no fridge.

Clean room, everything I needed for my short trip and the parking was free and accessible. Location is amazing. The staff was more than helpful and showed us all the good tourist spots since it was my first time!

Shower was too small and water valve too hard to figure out. Took forever to find hot water. No coffee pot in room, was on 3rd floor and didn't want to get dressed to go down to lobby for coffee. Room got too warm and the fans didn't provide enough circulation to cool it down.

Bed was comfortable. Location was perfect for where we wanted to go and do. Staff was nice.

Not much sound proofing from the room above us- they obviously had children and there was jumping and heavy footsteps!

Fantastic location- literally steps away from the Wharf. Parking was brilliant, really easy to access. Rooms were really comfy and spacious. Had brilliant sleep both nights. Would highly highly recommend staying here.

Expensive. Shower water was scorching and shower did not respond to controls.

Excellent location. Good parking. Easy to navigate with a car. Close to cable car and other tourist attractions.

The structure is somewhat dated but the rooms are decent.

Clean rooms just a stones throw from Fishermans Wharf with free patking and very reasonable rates

We had some pricing issues at the time of booking which were handled very badly/not at all by the manager of the accommodation. Our room was small and dingy and overlooked an indoor car park with very minimal natural light. We eventually chose to depart one night early. If our room was anything to go by, this accommodation does not offer good value for money. That said, the room was clean (although there was a strong smell of cleaning products each day - like chlorine) and the bed was very comfortable. Since departing I have reached out to the accommodation again to try and resolve our issues, and was very clear that I would not want to write a negative review if they were willing to help me or even just reply! Unfortunately I've not had a response. The team at reception were always friendly and willing but it appeared they were all under strict embargo not to help me as advised by the manager - who had never bothered to contact me himself. I've worked in customer service for a long time and felt this was unacceptable and to be honest, quite lazy.

The location is good.

A bit Pricey.

If you have one of those all inclusive attraction passes, this location is superb for exploring the wharf area. I had the GO Card and was able to maximise it visiting 4-5 places/activities with the option to return to hotel for a short rest in between the activities. (Ripley’s, SF Dungeon, Madamme Tussauds, cruises, Hop-on-Hop-off buses, bike rentals) Included parking definitely made it sweeter. Place was a bit old but clean. Bathroom was newer and worked well. Rooms were decent size and manageable to accommodate 4. Was given a room that faced a wall of neighbouring building, didn’t like it at first but realised that rooms facing the streets can be pretty noisy so was Glad it turn out that way. Do note that there is no AC in room but there is a heater. Weather was cool when I was there so didn’t need AC. But note this if you are there in summer. This is a no frills hotel but most things work and location is unbeatable. If you are looking to pamper yourself look elsewhere. Price is a bit on the high side esp when it does not included breakfast.

the bathroom was a little cramped, and the price was a bit steep.

It was a little overpriced but it served it's purpose and free parking is a huge plus!

Fans in the room indicate the lack of A/C on hot days could be challenging. Refrigerator had been removed.

Free parking! Excellent location, quiet (at least on our side of the hotel), very friendly staff, great price.

The noise from the hop on off buses Up to three at a time. They would sit idling their motors for hours at a time. The street sweepers Early in the morning. I know you don't have control of these. Just me Suomi girl. Thanks. Good time

Friendliness location parking the best

In comparison with other hotels I've stayed at in the area, Wharf Inn gives the MOST bang for your buck! Free parking and walking distance to the pier and shops/restaurants makes the stay comfortable.

The noise outside the room was a bummer but not much you can do about it. I just turned on the fan to drown it out.

Great staff and clean room. It was older but comfortable and the bed was really nice and cozy. Great location near Ghiradelli Square and Pier 39. And free parking included!!!

This probably the most expensive hotel I have stayed in when in a city and it was definitely the worst. The cost of the first 2 nights was well over $500 as San Francisco had some sort of conference on & every hotel jacked up their prices - profiteering as racketeering is a federal offence.!!! The cost of the 3rd night was more in line with facilities but the hotel still needs a refurb as it is so tired. I had to tell them to turn heating off as the room was boiling and no control over temperature at all. Currently staying in Maldives at similar cost and serious luxury which this hotel could learn from.!!

I could park my rented car on site and location to city was good.

Stains on the carpet. My room was behind the large electrical unit off the property.

Excellent location and proximity to areas of attraction was excellent. Good bang for your buck!

To be honest the only thing this hotel has going for it is it's location and a fairly comfortable bed. It's a VERY basic motel with no air conditioning - not ideal in the hottest October on record! Our room didn't even have a proper window just a long pain of glass overlooking the covered walkway so it was gloomy to say the least. All hotels in San Francisco are expensive but I'd like to think that others offer a little more value for money. Staff were friendly and cheerful though

The hotel is in a good location in Fishermans Wharf

• Room Selected at Check In

Lack of sleep.

Sleep ?? What's that ?? Noise was off the charts. Perhaps the worst room I've ever had. Seriously, I think some of the noise at night is intentional. Neighborhood is quieter in the day time.

The location is wonderful, and the price can't be beat. It's an older hotel but it's very decent for the price on the area, the rooms are clean.

There was no breakfast like at most hotels. Also, there was a shower, but no bath. The price was a little higher than I was comfortable with.

The beds were comfortable. They had complimentary tea.

Accommodation is a a little outdated. There is security outside the hotel and there isn't much hassle but it can be loud in the morning when the bin truck is swinging by. I travelled by myself as a female and made sure I was aware of my environment at all times. Felt safe enough although there might be a few suspicious looking people hanging around in the street.

Good location, very clean

Very noisy through the night from street outside- the windows didn’t seem to block any sound out what so ever. Made it difficult to get a solid sleep.

Great central location, room got upgraded with a nice big bed, great having parking, shower was excellent

Browse The Wharf Inn traveller photo gallery