Reviews of The Willows Hotel 3 stars

555 West Surf, Lakeview, Chicago, IL 60657 , USA

#102 of 146 hotels in Chicago

Great location! Gem of a hotel!

Elevator is slow

Great Location! Clean and Comfy. Staff friendly and helpful. Dan the concerige was entertaining and provided all the information we needed for getting to Chicago landmarks easily.

Would recommend this hotel, will be back.
    • Executive King Room

Noisy birds made it hard to sleep after 5 am. Sounded like they were right at my window. Breakfast could have used protein, hard boiled eggs would have been nice.

The hotel was very quaint and loved the history. Complimentary robes were great. Walking distance to Wrigley Field.

The close vicinity to Wrigley Field.
    • Standard Queen Room

The rooms we very small, not exactly what I would call clean and the humidity in the rooms made them feel sticky !

The close vicinity to Wrigley Field.

We will always check the availability of rooms at the Willows when attending a Cubs game.
    • Small Queen

The location for us was good because we were going to a Cubs game. It is about a 30 min walk and the neighborhood feels safe. Stella's Diner is very close.Parking was $25.

Neighborhood of location is great, good Restaurants and Bars
    • Executive King Room

Rooms need renovation, especially the bathrooms. Our first room in the 4th floor did not have hot water in the shower, it did only get slightly warm. Changed to another room which was fine then.

Neighborhood of location is great, good Restaurants and Bars

We would stay at The Willows again
    • Executive King Room

For the price, we expected everything to be in tip-top shape; the hotel is "tired" looking, and needs a few "tweeks" here and there to bring it up to par. We had a broken ceiling fan and a burned out bulb, but these were addressed within 90 minutes of mentioning them. As another review stated, the mattress did have a bit of sag in the middle, but we both slept well, despite that. The lobby has been updated, so perhaps the needed update on the rooms is forthcoming.

The Staff is excellent; very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable; if they didn't know the answer, they found the answer quickly. My husband and I really liked the Lakeview area. We were in a neighborhood, not a tourist district. We found great restaurants. Our favorites were Renaldi's, The Original Pancake House and Stan's Donuts. It's a quick walk (5 blocks) to the bus stop to catch the 151 or 156 down to Lincoln Park (15 mins), Magnificent Mile (30 mins), and Shedd Aquarium/Adler Planetarium/Navy Pier/Field Museum (45 mins); Union Station (45-60 mins) all travel times depending on traffic. A 3-day bus pass was $20.00 per person. I always felt safe, the bus drivers and Native Chicagoans were very friendly. Best Salon for both men and women is Natural Elements in Lincoln Park. Tell Edda that Bailey referred you.

Never to return...EVER!!!
    • Standard Queen Room

The lobby is renovated and looks "nice". However, it is an old hotel and the new decor of the room is a weird mix of an outdated appearance with modern-ish furniture. We booked 2 nights via booking.com. My credit card was charged $50 for incidentals (No problem). After the 1 st night, my credit card was charged $180. The agent couldn't explain why I had an additional random charge of $180 (No room service or etc. ). Here's the kicker.....the water takes 15-20 minutes to get hot in the "back part of the hotel". Which made us late for our business conference. The agent stated that the rooms in the front of the hotel "gets hot water quicker." When we returned to the hotel, staff had moved our belongings to a different room WITHOUT informing us prior to the move. The new room "TV didn't work". Are you serious ....$500 total for 2 nights for this ????? We asked the agent to call the manager and cancel the 2nd night. At first they offered to cancel the 2nd night but were still going to charge $500 for the 2 nights. After I rejected that offer and insisted on paying for the 1 night that we stayed and calling it "even". The manager agreed and we left! Never to return...EVER!!!

Front desk staff were professional!

Not a good value for your money. Spend it in a newer hotel
    • Standard Queen Room

It's a very old property, rundown and outdated, and it feels as such. The outlets in the room are accessible from only one side of the bed, there are draining problems, the carpets are stinking and the noise from the rain poring on the outside of the AC wouldn't let us sleep. Also breakfast is very poor.

Staff is nice

They didn't fix the tv that wasn't working despite...
    • Executive King Room

They didn't fix the tv that wasn't working despite saying they would. There were no parking spots avaibale therefore havingto pay. Breakfast selection was awfully poor

The price was low, and the hotel's value matched.
    • Small Queen

Room was small and dingy. Breakfast was minimally acceptable, but physical arrangement was not: Food area crowded and inaccessible, few places to sit, none of them comfortable.

Location very convenient to where I needed to be. Pleasant neighborhood and street

Good location and friendly staffs
    • Small Queen

The location is really good. It is close to the bus stops and train stations. It is also in a walking distance to Wrigley Field. There are many restaurants around. The staffs are so friendly.

Too old to be a hotel
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The hotel is too old. And not very good maintained. We were staying there at winter and cold wind was blowing through windows. When we got in we had three kids and lots of luggage. When I asked for luggage trolley they gave me just a trolley. No bellboy, no assistance - nothing! I was carrying all my luggage by myself to my room. Breakfast. They have three or four thermopots. Three with coffee and one with hot water. But when you decide to make yourself a cup of tea, you find out that thermopot with hot water was previously used for coffee. So your tea or just a cup of hot water will have a coffee flavor. That's awful! Why don't you have just one thermopot for hot water only and never put a coffee in it? Sound isolation between rooms - simply does not exist! Doors have such a huge gaps between the door and the wall so that you can hear everything that happens outside your door. We will never return to this hotel. Never ever again.

Location is amazing. Lots of shops, cafes, pubs right next to the hotel.

A good time was had by all
    • Standard Queen Room

Room was very small & dark. Would have been nice to have a comfortable arm chair in the room. I wish they would reconsider their no pet policy.

Location was great. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Overnight parking is reasonable. Rooms are for the most part quiet.

Real cutlery, cups and bowls at the breakfast.
    • Small Queen

Small rooms with poor lighting. First heating was at maximum and later it was completely off. Air-condition noisy.

Real cutlery, cups and bowls at the breakfast. Decent amount of healthyish unsweetened brekky options, but could have been more healthy options (ie. unsweetened greek style yogurt and muesli).

Wonderful staff, but updates to rooms needed.
    • Executive King Room

TV and telephone didn't work. Room could've been cleaned better. Loud traffic zooming near first floor windows.

Extremely friendly dayshift staff. Close to everything. Staff made issues better by giving a partial refund. Liked the quaintness and atmosphere of the lobby.

We would definitely stay again.
    • Small Queen

We had a little walk to public transit, but it wasn't too bad. The continental breakfast is really the only thing I would say needs improvement. There wasn't a ton there to eat, especially for my daughter who has nut allergies. Overall it was a good stay.

The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us during our stay. They were replacing the front desk, which caused a little bit of a mess, but they worked on it quickly. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were clean.

Very enjoyable. Location is central to dinners/lunches, and stores we needed to set our daughter up
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

parking was expensive, but guess that's expected in Chicago.

eggs were hard boiled, but except for peanut butter, only protein. Cereal was mostly sugared. coffee was plentiful, and the staff kept area clean. Week end crowd made breakfast area crowded, but was quite nice during week day stays. Overall, great, and we will return.

Fair
    • Small Queen

The pictures were not as the sites, we stayed two night in a very small room where we barely walk in it. Then they moved us to a big one after I talked to them about it. In addition, the breakfast was bad. If I knew that would be the breakfast, I would choose another hotel with a better breakfast cause it’s not worthy.

I just like the staff and their smilie face all the time

Reasonable price and close to where I was going (N. Halstead restaurant and play )
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Difficult to park when first arrived (area on street was full). I understand that the hotel is under renovation, but the hallways were not particularly clean. Breakfast very basic.

Friendly staff. Bed comfortable, room reasonably sized.

It was a good experience.

In the website they said there was parking but didn't say you had to pay 20 dollars per day. This made the hotel more expensive. The price was also higher than expected.

I think that the staff is great, always willing to help and make us feel good.

Location, reasonable parking cost, easy to get to,...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Lobby area is small - especially for breakfast. Elevator is small and too slow!! Rooms need to be updated and better lighting in hallway.

Location, reasonable parking cost, easy to get to, neighborhood setting, quiet. Includes breakfast. Can walk to many restaurants and a few shops. Can Uber to places at reasonable price when walking is not an option.

Location is great for our needs.
    • Executive King Room

Not enough room for breakfast, rooms are outdated, halls need better lighting, elevator is small and very slow!

Location is great for our needs. Easy to get to. Parking price is reasonable.

Liked the area hotel was in.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Nice but not great. Beds not that comfortable. Heater made loud noises. Breakfast ok (to eat your options were yogurt, cereal, danish, bagels and bread , hard boiled eggs on the weekend only)

Liked the area hotel was in.

The place was clean and a good location which was the highlight.
    • Small Queen

The booking seemed like it was unusual for my past experiences. The room options were not available as a selection therefore booked a tiny room which I would have chosen otherwise. There was a no cancellation policy on this room as well which again was unusual for Hotel.com. The room was next to the elevator and the stairs which made it noisy. Luckily the guest were not out all night type of people so it was quiet for overnight sleeping.

Friendly staff and convenient reasonably priced parking. Even though the building was under renovation, did not notice any noise or disruption.

First time staying. For the right price I would maybe stay again
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Coffee machines in lobby only is very inconvenient. Ice only on one level inconvenient also. Radiator was too warm and didn’t turn off right away. Called desk and they said nothing could be done. Did not sleep well because of it being too warm even with ceiling fans

Staff was very friendly. Unique decor.

Good stay in a great location!
    • Executive King Room

I didn't like the view at all; we ended up on the first floor and could only see the alleyway. I had asked for a bottle of champagne but, it was not included as I had asked. The stay was for my wife's birthday but, the hotel didn't do anything special to commemorate it.

The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and clean. The staff was extremely nice and took care of some small things I had asked for. Overall, the customer experience was good. I'd recommend the hotel to someone who doesn't know the city well.

Okay
    • Small Queen

Parking was horrible you had to pay an extra 24 dollars to use the hotel garage which was not specified when I booked.

The bed was nice and comfortable.

Willows review
    • Small Queen

The room was small and we had black hairs in the shower on the soap dispensers. Also I had a clump of hair in one of my folded towels on the towel rack

Good location. Close to local shops and restaurants

Good location for us
    • Standard Queen Room

Lack of parking And it’s not letting me know upfront that I would be paying for each day of parking. It added a lot to the total bill.

Good location for us

Decent hotel, great location.
    • Small Queen

The property is being upgraded, we were sent to a room at the end of a hallway that was torn apart, had to walk around all of the painting equipment and painters. Then the room was occupied. They had to upgrade our room because of booking through Booking.com and they did not seem happy about it.

The location was the prime factor in booking this hotel. We were going to a blues show and the property is close to the venue.

Nice hotel in cool downtown Chicago
    • Standard Queen Room

Heating was lacklustre to say the least especially with -15C outside, TV was a bit small and so was the bathroom.

Great location, decent bed and clean - on the money for Chicago hotel.

Great prices and great location!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The rooms were reasonably priced and the mini bar and extra food was very cheap compared to other places in the area. Great neighborhood and friendly staff! I’ve stayed there 3 times and loved each stay.

I would not stay in this hotel again.

I had Two rooms. Asked when booking to have them close. Ended up on different floors. One room was too hot ...one too cold. Radiator heat in 2nd floor room was very loud! Could hear it from hallway when door was shut!

A gem. Great value and helpful staff.
    • Small Queen

It is winter and the suite did not have a radiator in the room where the bed was. There was a space heater in the wall that helped, but was all or nothing, no thermostat. So, it was either hot or cold. Also, a bit noisy because the property is on an alley.

Great location and value. Parking is also a fraction of downtown hotels, but the property is only a 10 minute drive from downtown. It is also in a great neighborhood.

Wonderful hotel in lovely neighbourhood
    • Executive King Room

The only fault I could point out was the low water pressure and temperature of the shower, it was quite temperamental. After being out in the snow I could have done with a hot shower, but there’s not a lot they can do about this I guess and it wasn’t awful.

We were greeted by a bottle of champagne and handwritten note from the manager for our engagement, which was above and beyond. The bed was really comfortable and the room spotless. We didn’t utilise breakfast but it looked good, free hot drinks 24:7 was another nice touch. All staff were friendly and welcoming.

A good bargain but we would have expected a nicer property. It does look so nice from the street
    • Small Queen

Room small and shabby. Paint peeled off of walls Smelled in the stairwell

Bed very comfortable Good location with a number of restaurants nearby Staff friendly and polite and helpful

Great value and friendly staff!
    • Standard Queen Room

The staff was super friendly (talked to a man and a woman and they were both very helpful), the bed was great and the room was clean. Also the bus stop to the loop was only 2 minutes away. You could have your coffee to go in the morning which was a plus!

I would never stay here again even if it was free.
    • Small Queen

The pictures do not reflect what the actual rooms look like. I was inside a space of a 12'x12' room and bathroom was quite tight as well. Not comfortable at all. There was no heat or heating was minimal. I woke up with chills all over.

The staff was great.

Good location, dated decor, small room but comfortable bed, just need to sort out the heating issues
    • Small Queen

The decor really needs to be updated; dull yellow is not exactly "french country home". The room was small but was sufficient for us as we spent very little time in the room. When we checked in we were given 426 at the end of a long corridor. we we're informed but we realised afterward that the heating system wasn't working so the room was freezing cold. The aircon blew out only cold air so with a little persuasion we got a room downstairs where the aircon gave us sufficient heat. That was fine for 2 days then the heating system kicked into action at 2.30am; pipes rattled, radiator was roasting and the small room was suffocatingly hot. We opened the window and hoped that the situation would improve. It didn't much; the radiators sprung into action at 4.30 each morning and the radiator knobs made no difference. The problem may just have been room 303.

The directions to the hotel from the airport were excellent. We bought a Ventra card in the airport and used it for both bus and train, we could use one card for both of us and this worked out really well for 5 days. The receptionist was friendly and efficient and sorted out a room change without too much hassle on the first evening. While the bedroom was small, the bed was really very comfortable and the linens were fresh. The bathroom was basic but clean. The area has some nice restaurants (including a really good Kurdish restaurant where we had the pleasure of having an impromptu rendition by cellist Leon Hoffman :) ) and easy access to the city via bus and train. The Zoolights in the Lincoln Park zoo (free) are amazing and close to the Lincoln Park Conservatory (also free). We were blessed to be in Chicago for the Tree Lighting Parade - fabulous, and bought some pretty Christmas baubles in the Christkindlmarket in Daley Plaza. Breakfast (7am -10am) is very basic; Cereal or processed microwave porridge, choice of bagels or pastries and yogurt. Boiled eggs were available on Friday morning and coffee is available 24 hours in the lobby. Unlike other reviews the hotel was not too busy so we always had places to sit for breakfast. Free wifi was easily accessible from all parts of the hotel. The hotel staff kindly allowed us to leave our luggage in the office until 5pm on our last day after checkout.

Big room, hotel very dated with very thin walls. No proper heat for the room.
    • Standard Queen Room

The hotel is very dated. The only heat in the room is a very tiny wall heater. It is NOT even close enough to heat that size of room. They also had 2 window air conditioner units in the windows, which didn’t help with the cold room. You could hear EVERYTHING that anyone said that walked by the hotel along with anyone in the rooms by you as the walls were paper thin!!

The room was very spacious

overall the stay was decent
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

the hotel needed to be updated and felt a bit unclean

The beds were comfortable and the complementary breakfast was a plus, the staff was also very nice

I would stay again and will recommend friends.
    • Small Queen

Small rooms, but fully adequate .

The staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and went above and beyond to be helpfull. On check-in, they helped me find free street parking, and reminded me to pick my car doors locked and put valuables out of sight.

Excellent place to stay and to explore beauty of Chi-Town.
    • Small Queen

The hotel is in a historical building - not their fault and it's a very beautiful building and the whole neibourghood - but the room is not super big for family travel, bed is like 1.5 meter wide so parent + 1 six year old child is not as roomy as other hotels. Nothing more, it's very decent hotel.

Hotel is in a very good location, it's less than 10 minutes walking to the Lincoln park and then you get superb view of the lake and Chicago skyline, on the other hand cross the street you got walmart neibourghhood store to get everything cheap and great availablity. The whole area feels safe even walk out in late night. Hotel itself is clean and well organized. Perfect place to stay in Chicago.

A pretty decent spot!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Soft bed Lack of breakfast seating Breakfast options - often short on stock No ramp to wheel suitcases from road to room! Loud AC unit

Lots of space in the bedroom Fridge Access to bus stops and train Close to restaurants and laundry

Chicago Marathon Runners and their supporters should book here now for next year!
    • Executive King Room

Aged buildings can be dust-traps. This is one!

This is a conversion from a 1920s building and I believe some renovations are to commence in Dec 2017 - they are overdue! Surprising, given this is one of 3 in the hotel group. Looks lovely from outside; most charming. But inside! It's a woeful mismash of decor styles from various eras, so hopefully a savvy interior designer has now been engaged to streamline the styling and bring it up to 2020 standards, especially as we know Chicago basks in it's architectural heritage. Love the location. But the hallway floors have deteriorated badly, the lift creaks along, and the furnishings and decor don't owe them a cent. They are well past use-by dates. Surprisingly very comfortable beds and the linen is quality. I do love the oversized rooms and the opening windows - essential, really, because the AC is dreadfully noisy and I would think so old as to be most unhygienic; we only turned it on one night, thereafter relying on open-window ventilation which would be impossible in summer! Can they never get staff to clean filters? I cleaned off the fly-screen in our bathroom, it was so grimey! Breakfast is limited but this is understandable in such a confined space, and it really is an unnecessary bonus given all the food outlets close-by. 24/7 tea/coffee in reception makes up for lack of in-room facilities, and home-baked cookies for afternoon tea are a nice touch. The staff remain cheery and helpful and the hotel is in a delightful and quiet street and neighbourhood. No views. We were on Level 4 and looked out into a side parking area! I'd stay there again, especially for the Chicago Marathon; it's brilliantly convenient for that with the Run going past the ends of the street only 30 metres from one end at around 9 miles, and about 100 metres away at the 6mile marker. UBER rides into the CBD are cheap, so this suburban boutique hotel has a lot going for it - but a lot more needs to be done to bring it up to standard.

Older hotel in the middle of a really cute area!!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We were very pleased with the location of this hotel. We could walk to Lake Michigan and to several restaurants and stores. The staff was wonderful!! So welcoming. Also, we couldn't get an uber to the airport the morning we were leaving because it was so early and the man at the hotel desk saw that we were in a panic and ran to the end of the street ( at 6:30 am ) to flag down a cab for us!! Amazing!! We would stay here again for sure!!

Great value for money in a great location.
    • Small Queen

Nice buffet breakfast. Great location without being in the city centre (and the expense that would incur). Some great bars and restaurants in the locale with very reasonable prices. Not very far to Diversey L-station.

Great spot for a couple of nights
    • Executive King Room

The ice machine was outside our door and was really loud.

We liked the breakfast in the morning and the coffee was really good. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom soaps and shampoos were really nice. Great location quiet street lots of good food and drink places really close by.

We loved the willows hotel!
    • Executive King Room

The cable tv stations was limited and the tv itself was out of date.

We liked the whole setup of the room! The bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was very clean and the ambience of the building itself was warm and cozy. The neighborhood was full of trees and the streets were so clean.

Everything was great except the view.
    • Executive King Room

The view was of a parking lot that was particularly gross, noisy, and run down.

I loved the bed and the small details (bath robes), heated tiles in the bathroom.

Nice hotel in a lovely area
    • Small Queen

The eggs could be cooked over easy:-)

Great neighborhood with lots of facilities and restaurants with food from all over the world. It's a good place to get to know Chicago, so spend a day in the neighborhood instead of going downtown. Also near Lincoln Park which is a great place for nature lovers, runners and walkers (I mean people who like to walk, not white walkers). It's also possible to walk to the north beach and even downtown, but there are buses just around the corner too. The L- train is a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It takes you downtown or to the airport-train (blue line). It's worth taking even just for the Chicago experience. I chose this hotel because of the breakfast included 🍳. I loved that they had easy breakfast in the mornings. It is like a picnic-experience, where you have to prepare it yourself and you can sit at a counter and watch the street while you eat. That suited me swell. There is a bit of everything, mostly very sugary, but I think that is very American. I am happy that they had eggs. I am not used to eggs being so hard boiled. Lovely old building and my room was big. The staff are nice and helpful.

Great stay if you're planning on seeing a Cubs game!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The parking ramp is in an inconvenient location, it's behind the hotel in an alley.

Very clean and spacious rooms, walking distance to Wrigley field

A great hotel to stay which is far from the bustle of downtown Chicago.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

No complaints. I will stay here again when I visit Chicago.

Location to public transportation. Its close to the "L" subway line (Diversey Station) and to 3 bus lines we used. Route 151 took us to downtown with a nice drive through Lincoln Park, we took the Route 36 bus north to Argyle Street and its Vietnamese restaurants of Little Saigon, and the 22 Clark Bus north to Wrigley field and its closeby Music Box Theatre where we saw a movie. The housekeeping staff cleaned our room promptly, and they have a nice complementary breakfast if you chose to use it. We loved having Stan's Donuts a short walk away. The hotel is great for walks along its tree lined streets. You can walk toward the lake with its numerous jogging paths and tunnels take you under the Shoreline roadway to a walking path right on the lake. We spend a few evenings sitting by the lake watching the lights of Navy Pier and seeing the boats on the water.

We were not happy! And too busy to ask to be moved to a better room.
    • Small Queen

Our room was too tiny for 2 people. Mini-queen?? We've stayed at the Willows for years, but were quite distressed at our cramped quarters. They advertise a snack in the afternoon--never was there. Seriously considering other hotels next time.

Nice breakfast. Location.

• Reviewed: 20 August 2017

Good location but rather poor standard
    • Standard Queen Room

All furniture rather worn, the carpet was dirty, unpleasant smell in the hall and stairways, no safe, monotone breakfast, slow wifi

good location - short to Lakeville and Boystown, clean bathroom

Watch your step
    • Executive King Room

Unmarked steps down immediately inside entrance. Odd door stop in middle of floor of bathroom by the tub - easy to step on. Staff were mostly not friendly. Window AC is very noisy.

Big room. Comfortable bed. Nice location for us but not everyone.

Enjoyable, Well located. Quiet. Comfortable.
    • Executive King Room

I only concentrate on the positive!

I only had cookies in the afternoon (10+) Coffee was weak so I only had it once. The bed was decent; but I'm used to a number bed, temper pedic.

Great location!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

We've stayed here before. The rooms need a freshen Great location!up/update.

Location was excellent. Room was large. Light breakfast available.

- laid back staff
    • Executive King Room

- the colours of the hallways were very dreary, could use a slight makeover and this hotel would rock.

- laid back staff - residential location yet right by all the fun shops in Lincoln Park on Clark street, close to N. Halstead and Boystown.

Nice stay in Chicago
    • Standard Queen Room

The shower had very low water pressure and the breakfast, whilst adequate, was a little basic. Had to ask everyday for cutlery

Location was great for us as we had family living nearby, butvwas perfect for the lake and easy to get into yien

Convenience and class
    • Small Queen

We are from the suburbs and came the city for a Tom Petty concert at Wrigley field and the Willow was perfect for this. It took us 20 minutes to walk to Wrigley and it was a great. It was great to not have to drive home and get up the next morning and have great options for breakfast.

It is an old simple hotel with a very good location near...
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Perhaps just that the breakfast could be better. I would have said the price could be lower but hotels in good location in the USA are ridiculously overpriced anyway.

It is an old simple hotel with a very good location near Lincoln Park (very good unless someone must stay in downtown) close to a lot of shops and eating places. It is clean and quiet (on a leafy street), the staff is very helpful and our room with two queen beds was very spacious. It is an oldish hotel but that doesnt seem to affect the facilities. The breakfast is a little simpler than it should be and the area (lobby) in which it is served is small. There is free coffee 24 hrs.

Lovely Hotel, Great Location!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

The breakfast was basic. A very small step above continental. Just some things to microwave.

The staff was great. The rooms were clean, very nice and spacious.

• Reviewed: 17 June 2017

Not what we expected.
    • Executive King Room

Overall the hotel had seen better days and was badly in need of a face lift. We hoped it would be charming. Key fault was general lack of cleanliness, which is the sine qua non for us. This was not the high end boutique hotel we had been expecting, but it has potential.

Location was perfect for our purposes. Nothing else met our expectations.

• Reviewed: 16 June 2017

Wonderful part of town and nice to stay in a more unique and...
    • Standard Queen Room

Overall a very clean and comfortable stay. It would benefit from some more finishing touches.

Wonderful part of town and nice to stay in a more unique and quaint setting. Great staff!!!

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

Staff was great and helpful!
    • Small Queen

I called before arriving to check on parking options and was told that I would have to come to the front desk first so when I arrived I temporarily parked in the alley. The woman at the front desk told me I needed to move my car immediately or it would be towed. It ended up being a tight fit to get into the parking garage but it could have been worse. As far as the actual room, everything was good except for finding a couple of bugs.

Staff was great and helpful! Room was small but worked for what we wanted (just a place to sleep). The walk to Wrigley was incredibly easy as well and very well lit after an evening game.

• Reviewed: 26 May 2017

Mother daughter road trip stop in the Windy City
    • Small Queen

Breakfast - would appreciate plain Greek yogurt, fresh fruit other than apples, and more healthy bread/cereal options (higher protein, less sugar, more fiber).

Water available in lobby all the time. Bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon left in the room for purchase was quite nice and a great deal for the quality.

• Reviewed: 20 May 2017

Nice little hotel in awesome neighborhood, friendly staff.
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Breakfast free, but just OK. Could use some more fresh fruit.

No view from nearly all of the rooms since the building is wedged between 2 buildings. BUT, it is super quiet. The King and double Queen rooms are very spacious. The petit queen room is very small, but perfect for a single traveler. GREAT neighborhood.

• Reviewed: 17 May 2017

beautiful neighbourhood
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Older building led to no water pressure in the shower and it needs updating in the bathroom.

Staff wad nice and accommodating. The neighborhood is beautify. Quick access to Wrigley Field..

• Reviewed: 13 May 2017

nah
    • Small Queen

Breakfast was all packaged, few things fresh except for coffee and fruit. Small room and bathroom, clumsy layout, not comfortable at all. Facilities are tired in general. I wouldn't come back.

The area was good, safe and posh. The heating in the building was great, not too cold not too hot.

• Reviewed: 28 April 2017

Amazing family holiday!
    • Deluxe Queen Room with Two Queen Beds

Our room which faced the car park used to get noisy early in the morning due to pick up truck noises.

Staff were always friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable and clean.

• Reviewed: 9 April 2017

Old fashioned cozy hotel vibe.
    • Small Queen

More up to date heating/cooling abilities in room (i.e. thermostat). Current radiant heat was difficult to reach as floor located dial was behind the radiator and crunched beside a console and the radiator was noisy. Shower made loud whistling noise when turned on.

Old fashioned cozy hotel vibe.

• Reviewed: 30 March 2017

Small but charming.
    • Small Queen

Night concierge was on her phone and rude when we asked about anything. Room was tiny and this room out of the 4 was one of the most expensive and we stayed there on a Monday when rates should be cheaper.

The place was very nice. I'm sure if we had gotten a bigger room we would have been more impressed. Morning concierge was awesome. The continental breakfast was the best we had. Bathroom was great!

• Reviewed: 16 March 2017

Friendly staff in a character hotel.
    • Small Queen

We did get disturbed by noisy plumbing/ radiator filling, during the night, but I expect this may be expected of an old characterful property.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. Great to have a continental breakfast and access to tea/ coffee during the day. The price quoted was inclusive of all taxes, in contrast to other hotels we have stayed in.

• Reviewed: 15 March 2017

Snuggle in the city.
    • Standard Queen Room

Bacon on the breakfast haha. Bacon makes everything better.

It felt like home. It was such an intimate space that contrasted the cold of Chicago beautifully. We also got upgraded at no extra charge which was so unexpected.