2. USA hotel reviews
  3. Tennessee hotel reviews
  4. Memphis hotel reviews
  5. Reviews of Hotel Napoleon, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Reviews of Hotel Napoleon, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member This rating is a reflection of how the property compares to the industry standard when it comes to price, facilities and services available. It's based on a self-evaluation by the property. Use this rating to help choose your stay!

179 Madison Avenue, Memphis, 38103, United States of America

#19 of 136 hotels in Memphis

Read more– opens a dialog box

• Reviewed: December 13, 2018

Great bartender, beautiful and clean with very comfortable...

Walls so thin the baby in room near ours kept us up for hours then woke us up early the next morning and there was a man yelling and we could hear every word, this was also very early in the am. The staff was very unconcerned about our stay. This was our second trip there in a month.

Great bartender, beautiful and clean with very comfortable beds.

Stayed in December 2018

• Reviewed: November 30, 2018

A treat to stay here so close to all the attractions.

The room was extremely comfortable. Had two breakfasts which were both delicious and attractively presented. Dinner was lite and satisfying. Service was friendly and prompt. Both Rocky and Paul took special interest in us and made our stay special. Great experience - we will be back next year!

• Reviewed: November 26, 2018

The beds were very comfortable, the room was very clean and...

The beds were very comfortable, the room was very clean and the staff very pleasant. I will highly recommend and I am a difficult customer. Also the situation was very convenient.

• Reviewed: November 12, 2018

Perfect for us.

The elevator took over five minutes on two occasions and there are only four floors above the lobby, and there was only one.

The bed and bedding were very comfortable and the simple breakfast menu was perfect and very affordable!

• Reviewed: October 17, 2018

Loved the location and the hotel staff were very...

Loved the location and the hotel staff were very accomodating and helpful. We especially found the Manager Rocky to be very helpful and full of southern charm. He even played the Australian national anthem for us one morning at breakfast .😀😀👍

• Reviewed: October 2, 2018

Fun trip and our great hotel facilitated that.

Would have liked a seating area in the room. One elevator was a hassle at times.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was amazingly quiet. Great water supply and and stream in the shower.

• Reviewed: September 22, 2018

very comfortable and staff were very helpful

Loved this place. So central and the staff were amazing. Breakfast toast was incredible and the Valet service was great. Room was bigger than i expected. Highly recommend

• Reviewed: September 6, 2018

I would stay here again

I wouldn't bother paying for valet parking. There is a multi-storey car park next door to the hotel where you can park for a fraction of the price.

Great hotel. Water and fruit available in reception every day. Very friendly staff on reception. And good location, just 4 blocks from Beale Street.

• Reviewed: September 5, 2018

Do not stay there!

The hotel did not tell us that the valet does NOT park your car in a secured lot. Without being clearly notified, we assumed they did, which is why you give your car to the valet, versus self parking in a parking garage not far. We found out the hard way, when they called to tell us that our car had been broken into during the night, the window smashed in and all contents stolen. The hotel took no responsibility, and said it was the valet's responsibility. The valet took no responsibility. Thus far we are at about $1,000 plus in damages, yet neither the hotel or valet will take responsibility. That is TERRIBLE

The hotel's location is very convenient to downtown activities and the room was comfortable.

• Reviewed: July 16, 2018

This is a centrally located hotel in a charming historic building with a friendly, helpful staff.

There was nothing not to like.

The hotel is in a nicely maintained historic building. It is easy walking distance to Beale Street and centrally located to other places of interest. The staff is very friendly and helpful, especially Eric at the front desk.

• Reviewed: June 14, 2018

Nice modern room.

There was an issue with my credit card and then they tried to check me out a day early. All sorted quickly. But shouldn’t happen.

Nice modern room. Good amenities.

• Reviewed: June 9, 2018

Nice staff, great location

Rooms are too different from the ones shown on the Website.

Staff was lovely and helpful after I told them how disappointed I was with the room. Made great effort afterwards to make up for it as we were not being able to be moved to a different room. Great location

• Reviewed: May 19, 2018

It was very modern and up-to-date and a very great location...

That they didn't have a microwave and the bed frame was really low and I kept bumping my knees.

It was very modern and up-to-date and a very great location in Downtown Memphis.

• Reviewed: May 17, 2018

Very welcoming and brilliant staff but the parking charge was over the top and took the shine off.

The checking in problem (not the hotel’s fault). The charge for valet parking which was outrageous as the open air parking lot the car was parked in charged $2 a day and we paid $25.

The staff were, on the whole, very welcoming indeed. A checking in problem caused it seems by Booking. Com’s system took a long time to sort out and one member of staff was outstanding in dealing with the problem.

• Reviewed: May 11, 2018

Great place to stay, close to all the fun!

The poor valet guy got a rush the morning we were leaving and he was the only one working the valet. He was doing an awesome job and was a really nice guy but it did take some folks awhile to get their cars and they were frustrated. Not the valet guy's fault but just a head's up that it could take some time to get your car. Definitely not a deterrent to staying at the hotel, just a tip for those who may be in a hurry when they are leaving.

Location is perfect! Short walk to Beale St. The staff was very friendly and helped with recommendations on places to eat/drink. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was great. Also, valet parking is $25/night. That seems pretty reasonable for valet for a downtown hotel. We loved this place and would recommend it to anyone!

• Reviewed: May 6, 2018

Our stay was awful.

The morning staff at checkout harrassed us out of the room. They entered the room without notice and made my partner wait in the lobby for me to return with coffee and called on repeat until we left. We were planning on staying three nights and left that day.

The employees at check-in were AMAZING. The bartender, night checkin guys, and bartender were phenomenal.

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

The bed was super comfortable and the room was very clean...

The elevator had some really loud noise issues which made going up and down a bit nerve racking.

The bed was super comfortable and the room was very clean and spacious!

• Reviewed: May 1, 2018

Staff was helpful and friendly.

Had a difficult time with the TV remote. It was difficult to use. Spoke to desk clerk about problem. Tried to follow his instructions but it didn't help. The sliding door to the bathroom was an interesting concept but not very functional.

Staff was helpful and friendly. Valet parking service was very efficient.

• Reviewed: April 29, 2018

Memphis Gem

I was unhappy when we left.

This was our second stay, and we will return. The hotel’s location and accommodations would be enough alone for 10 stars, but the friendly staff are icing on the cake.

• Reviewed: April 24, 2018

New hotel.

Terrible location-dangerous people around. The valet wasn’t even around when I left town-had to go get my own car. Also the front desk told me to leave nothing in the car due to thugs smashing windows and stealing!

New hotel...

• Reviewed: April 2, 2018

Excellent location for your Memphis fun!

The parking. There's a pay parking lot adjacent and there was street parking. I never had a problem finding a close spot on the street and it was reasonable during the week day and free on weekend.

The location was ideal for our walks to Beale St. The hotel was clean and the room very comfortable. The staff extremely pleasant and helpful.

• Reviewed: April 2, 2018

Location is good

Room was smaller than I realized. A bit noisy from the 3rd floor. Need more carts. Guests should not have to pay for parking OR valet fee should be included in the cost of the stay.

Location is good

• Reviewed: April 1, 2018

2 Nights in Memphis

- We had breakfast one morning and the guy forgot our coffee three times, he also didn't know what sunny side up eggs we're. Only for it to arrive way under cooked. Was possibly the worst breakfast we had in the USA

We had no expectations for visiting Memphis but enjoyed our stay, the hotel is a short walk from The Peabody / towards Beale Street. The check in staff we're friendly and welcoming. The room was clean and comfortable. I'd stay again.

• Reviewed: March 23, 2018

We were treated great and had a wonderful stay.

None that I can think of.

The location was great, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was cozy and the bathroom was very nice. Noise levels in the hall and from the street were minimal or none.

• Reviewed: March 21, 2018

Good location, would stay again but on a higher floor.

The ground floor rooms can be noisy as very close to the road and in ear shot of the bar which was quite rowdy on one occasion. Most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful but a couple let the team down.

This lovely, old news paper, building has been tastefully turned into a modern boutique hotel which sits in a great location just a few blocks walk from the hustle and bustle of Beale Street and other Memphis sights. The rooms/beds were clean, modern and comfortable, bathrooms were large.

• Reviewed: March 20, 2018

The Hotel Napoleon was a highlight of our recent trip!

What could be improved upon is the breakfast food at Luna, the restaurant of the hotel. While our waiter was one of the friendliest we encountered on our trip, the food was the worst. I think the bacon was the kind you stick in a microwave and the eggs were awful. But, I didn’t come to the hotel for the food.

I never write reviews...However, I feel like Hotel Napoleon deserves high praise!! This hotel was glamorous, comfortable, in a perfect location and every staff member I interacted with was friendly and helpful!

• Reviewed: March 5, 2018

Nice hotel - friendly staff.

Area directly around hotel is quiet and uninspiring - downtown Memphis is pretty dead tbh. Lift is old and slow.

Friendly staff and nice room. Probably one of the best in Memphis.

• Reviewed: February 26, 2018

It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are modern and...

There was nothing I didn’t like.

It is a beautiful hotel and the rooms are modern and beautifully appointed. Staff was wonderful. Will definitely stay when we go back to Memphis.

location;

air condition did not work and it was an unusually hot day outside. television also did not work, and when I called the operator, they said I needed to reset the outlet plug - which was down behind the console on the floor. I managed to get the television to work and an employee came up and tried to get the a/c to function. Finally, we were made to transfer to a different room on the same floor. After getting settled, we went to get ice from the ice machine but it was broken so we needed to go to another floor and find ice.

location; bathroom; aesthetics.

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

It was wonderful! I would recommend to anyone. We love it!

The parking garage. A block away.. no guard, no gate. Nothing. Anyone could just walk in and break into your car and no one would know.

Everything. The room was PERFECT! Everyone was super sweet! The hotel when you walked in was gorgeous. Will be staying there again!

• Reviewed: February 20, 2018

Worst Hotel Experience Ever.

The staff was untrained, unkind and do not belong working in the hospitality industry. I believe this is do the the incompetence of the General Manager and lack of any staff training. None of the staff was able to complete any actions before first calling the GM who was at home. When we arrived there was only one FOH person (Zoe) on duty for the entire hotel. She was untruthful, set unrealistic expectations , denied any wrong doing and was unwilling to communicate or fix her mistakes.

• Reviewed: February 9, 2018

Charming boutique stay in the heart of Memphis!

I loved the staff! Everyone was very friendly, but Rocky and Rasheeda both exceeded my expectations! They greeted me warmly whenever they saw me, and gave me great recommendations for my stay in Memphis both within the hotel and in the city. My room was very unique and spacious, and I wanted to steal the bed it was so comfortable.

• Reviewed: January 19, 2018

Started on a high and ended lower. Housekeeping staff needs training.

- dirty desk - dirty toilet - dirty dishes left in my room - twice - the fact that I received an important package at 7:50am and no one told me - ever - and I had to check and then pick it up hours after I needed it - BAD for business travelers - no fresh fruit -

Comfortable bed, friendly customer-facing staff, if not perfectly attuned.

• Reviewed: January 9, 2018

Best. Hotel. Ever.

The only complaint is Wi-Fi connection, none of us could figure it out.

This was hands down the best hotel i've ever stayed at. We went for a girls day trip and they made us feel extra special. Little did we know it was the slowest week of the year, but they made our trip well worth it. They even surprised us with balloons in the room for my birthday. I am a customer service junkie; I wouldn't say I'm hard to please but I definitely notice the details. They went the extra mile, hotel was beautiful, and best staff ever. When in Memphis, stay HERE.

• Reviewed: November 27, 2017

Great location for discovering the Beale Street area.

Lift was very slow! No lounge to really talk of and bar looked very quiet. Parking charges but its a city.

Great location, very comfortable room. Staff very helpful. For a city relatively quiet at night.

• Reviewed: October 13, 2017

Lousy breakfast but well priced. Small rooms but adequate for short stay.

Location. Away from noise of Beale St but within walking distance. Very friendly helpful staff.

• Reviewed: September 29, 2017

Clean, comfy in a great location. Nick at the bar was great

Very noisy from outside on lower floors, the street is the route home for a lot of the cars and bikes that cruise Beale Street at night. Easily solved with some earplugs and hardly the hotels fault but in future I'd ask specifically for a high floor

Rooms were large, clean, modern and comfy. Can't really ask for more. The high ceilings are great

• Reviewed: September 28, 2017

A simply fantastic option for a quiet, classy, central Memphis stay

Loved everything, would have loved it even more with a swimming pool!! That is the only thing I can think of.

The rooms and bathrooms are lovely, comfortable, large, tasteful. Location is fab, quiet but minutes away from the centre. But the best asset is staff - the friendliest, most helpful people ever. They totally made our stay.

• Reviewed: September 13, 2017

Enjoyable

The staff were not very familiar with the area. They were not able to help with transit information or shopping options.

Hotel was very modern and the staff were very polite.

• Reviewed: September 1, 2017

My place to stay next time I visit Memphis.

Fabulous all around. Amazing staff!! Walking distance to st were all the fun is. That cappuccino machine left me crying out for more. Not to mention the nice fresh cookies to go with it. Highly recommended

• Reviewed: September 1, 2017

Super clean, friendly staff and easy access to everything we...

Parking was a bit of a nightmare. There was a serious communication problem between the parking garage the hotel uses and the parking garage staff and we were unfortunately caught in the middle of a war between facilities. The Hotel was gracious and refunded our parking charges.

Super clean, friendly staff and easy access to everything we wanted to do while in Memphis.

• Reviewed: August 24, 2017

The hotel is a beautifully renovated historic building.

The hotel is a beautifully renovated historic building. The rooms are modern, comfortable, and spotless. I loved the high ceiling, exposed brick wall in the room, and the huge window that looked out to Madison Avenue. It's right next to the Auto Zone stadium and just a few blocks from Beale Street, great location!

• Reviewed: July 22, 2017

good stay.

No parking at the hotel. 25$ a day for valet parking or free on the street 6p to 8a or park at the econolodge a block away for 10$ a day.

Great staff. Walk to Beale street. Comfortable room. Clean.

• Reviewed: July 20, 2017

Nice property, needs service improvement.

The front desk staff was very unfriendly. (we had three staff members and one was difficult). We had an issue with the thermostat and we told the front staff who was going to have it fixed. We called two additional times and spoke with the same staff member once. We ended up having to sleep in a room at 50 degrees (our options were 50 {continually running air and freezing} or 70 {running extreme heat in 95 degree weather because it would blast to get up from 50} We continually were turning it on and off to try to get comfortable. When we checked out we asked the front staff member why no one came and were told that originally we gave them the wrong room number. I'm not saying this wasn't correct, however highly doubtful, but we also called down from our room two additional times and they then should definitely have had the correct room number. She was very defensive and replied "I told him to go". It was just uncomfortable. Also the drain in the shower didn't work and the water rose to our ankles when we took a shower.

The beds were comfortable, it was clean and new, the location was good and the valet was a great addition.

• Reviewed: July 12, 2017

Good beds, the room is very nice.

No parking The staff seemed a bit confused: the woman in the reception was very polite, but gave us a room already ocupied. We tried to open it a few times and had to go down to the reception and tell her that there was a "Do not disturb" sign on the door. She sent us upstairs again saying that nobody was there and again the key didnt work. The second time we went down to the reception, the people in the room were already calling the reception and complayning that someone was trying to open their door. So, good hotel, but I expected a better service from such an expensive place.

Good beds, the room is very nice. Great shower.

• Reviewed: July 10, 2017

Excellent stay and great location

The room was a bit small; however, it is in a historical remodelled building.

The staff were very friendly! The room was clean and up to date. The parking was easy which was across the street for only $10/day. There is also valet parking available. Beale Street was only a short walk away as well as the Peabody Hotel if you want to see the famous ducks. We would definitely stay again!

• Reviewed: July 8, 2017

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

I like a bathtub, however the shower was fantastic. I would have liked to have known before arrival the room did not have a bathtub.

Staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Reviewed: July 5, 2017

Terrific boutique experience

The room, which had excellent design and amenities, was arranged oddly. There was a cabinet placed in the path to the main area which made for a very narrow passage. A larger person would have had trouble.

The hotel has a lovely mix of modern finishings and original charming details. The staff was very professional, yet had individual personalities.

• Reviewed: June 28, 2017

Stylish and convenient with great staff

Limited tourist information available - no maps, leaflets etc in room or front desk. Staff made effort to overcome this and were very helpful

Stylish hotel in a very convenient location Rocky the concierge was charming and very helpful Staff very friendly

• Reviewed: June 15, 2017

Very clean.

Valet parking was sketchy. After a certain timeframe you can't get your car. We only used valet the first day and parked on the street the other days.

The coffee and the coffee machine in the lobby was magical! The pillows and bed was so comfortable!!

• Reviewed: June 13, 2017

0vernight employee upon early am departure was rude and I...

0vernight employee upon early am departure was rude and I could have possibly missed flight. Had a problem with TV so was unable to use because could not adjust volume. It was fixed , but then when shut off/on I had the same problem. Otherwise, nice accommodations in a quiet location near Beale Street. Manager and other employees super helpful.

• Reviewed: June 11, 2017

Only tried breakfast that was good.

Only tried breakfast that was good. Restaurants in the area were very good and it was just far away from Beale St to be peaceful yet close to nightlife if wanted. We were there at the weekend so it was quiet and on street free parking possible.

• Reviewed: May 31, 2017

Bed and bathroom

Front desk wasn't helpful. The bar was closed. The valet service was not opened when I need it. The chef had to go get my car. They need more customer service training

Bed and bathroom

• Reviewed: May 29, 2017

Terrible. Room noise from next door and marijuana smell unbelievable. Asked to be moved but no aid

The walls were paper thin between rooms. Awful. I have asked for a discount. I am still waiting to hear groom management. The place looks beautiful. But structurally it's ridiculous and the people there are sweet but unable

• Reviewed: April 28, 2017

Exceeded expectations

I can't think of anything

Exceeded expectations! We were over all very impressed! The curtains were awesome and the bed was super comfortable along with the pillows!!! Loves the bathroom. Nice shower and great mirror to apply makeup! They had free cookies at front desk that we're delicious! And staff was very nice. Was a very nice atmosphere that was high class but not stuck up!

• Reviewed: April 17, 2017

Slightly disappointing boutique hotel.

Room was cramped and slightly odd layout. No way to get any food at late hour.

Bed was good. No bottled water even though desk clerk said it would be in our room. Breakfast restaurant in lobby was nice.

• Reviewed: April 14, 2017

A Fab Experience !!!

Loved it all. Huge contrast fro last hotel- Brentwood Suites. The

Excellent room design The sheets wonderful Bathroom great Great lighting. Loved thr chocolate chip cookies fresh basked.

• Reviewed: April 10, 2017

Great hotel, amazing staff, would highly recommend

Front desk was best service I have ever experienced at a hotel. Every person on staff that we interacted with was awesome! Great room, very clean and comfortable

• Reviewed: April 5, 2017

A great place to treat yourself for a short stay in Memphis

no snack machine for the late night munchies --- was not used to the parking problem, have never paid $25 plus a tip to park my car.

bed was great, I wanted to take it with me. The bath was very modern and pleasant. first comment when we went in was, WOW.

• Reviewed: March 23, 2017

Short business trip to Memphis

Because it is a historical building, the outside noise is a little more apparent that typical other hotels. Just a forewarning for light sleepers!

Staff was very friendly. Love that they give you free chocolate chip cookies, water, and coffee. Really nice! Modern hotel right downtown!

• Reviewed: March 21, 2017

Overpriced

Paid to upgrade my room to the king suite. Was put on the bottom floor in the handicap room. When I told them that didn't work for me as I was trying to treat my girlfriend to a lovely experience they moved me next door, still on the bottom floor. They never said hey man this is all we have will it be ok or I would have kept my original room.

Location is perfect. Hotel is clean and bright

• Reviewed: March 19, 2017

Not a happy camper.

The air conditioner was broken and it took too long to even get someone to come look at it..... I was so happy to get out of the hot room. Also the was no regular coffee only decaf.......terrible experience for paying over $200 for a room for one night.

The staff was nice.

• Reviewed: March 15, 2017

Not Worth the Money

The valet ridiculously overpriced and filthy floors, heat was not working properly and s dirty green washcloth was in the middle of the floor at the doorway when we walked in the room.Thin walls.

Gym was Awesome the decor was Chic,coffee kiosk was fabulous.

• Reviewed: March 14, 2017

Staff Shines in So So "Boutique" Effort

Room not well insulated so noisy. High expectations for historic/industrial architectural marriage but finish out displays some poor workmanship and some creative touches but overall cold. Room was small. Restaurant didn't seem ready for business, but staff tried to scramble to serve us.

Kind staff. Bathroom was functional.

• Reviewed: February 27, 2017

Rude front desk and trash in the room!!!

Paul at front desk was very intrusive and offensive at check in. He has no idea how to communicate and interact with guest. Rude and crude, I will never stay there again because of his behavior. Very unprofessional!!

• Reviewed: February 27, 2017

Excellent place to stay

Overall it was an awesome place to stay very modern , clean and the staff was the best. They were very helpful and super nice people . Highly recommended 5 stars from my wife and i.

• Reviewed: February 14, 2017

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Napoleon & plan to return soon!

The view from our room was great. Bed was super comfortable. And the bluetooth speaker/alarmclock was an added perk> Absolutely loved the size of the the Hotel. Staff was very friendly and accomodating as well.

• Reviewed: February 4, 2017

Excellent Hotel For the Money

Had to call for maid service every day I was there (4 nights). Then when they would come, they wouldn't always replace all the towels, etc. The in-house restaurant was also hit-or-miss. Got a chicken sandwich that should have been hot but came out cold. Decent drink selection but not much else to write home about.

Modern contemporary design, upscale feel. Just a couple blocks from Beale street. Much more affordable alternative to the Peabody.

• Reviewed: January 22, 2017

The new bar downstairs is terrific!

The new bar downstairs is terrific! It had only opened the night we arrived but we had a great chat to the young lady stepping in to run it. A nice end to the evening in Memphis.

• Reviewed: January 18, 2017

Good for one night. Convenient location.

Valet could have been more professional and helpful. We had to ask for a cart for our luggage. Usually hotels like this offer to help you with your luggage. The person we checked in with did not speak when we walked up to check in...smiled really big but didn't say a word. Kind of creepy. So our first impression was not good. Another man came up as we were checking in and he was very nice and professional. Room was very nice..kind of small but very clean and very pretty.

Location was good. Clean room. Quiet.

• Reviewed: January 2, 2017

Good location, nice staff, and very big bathroom area.

I was very disappointed in the size of the bedroom area. We had a king bed with no sitting area. There was no room service and the bar was not stocked very well.

Good location, nice staff, and very big bathroom area.

• Reviewed: December 26, 2016

Long wanted to visit Memphis and hotel made for a perfect stay

My mind is a blank

Great inhouse restaurant. Comfortable room and bed was like a cloud. Helpful and accommodating staff and convenient location to Beale St. and other downtown destinations

• Reviewed: December 19, 2016

Rocky at guest services made us feel right at home the...

Nothing everything was wonderful

Rocky at guest services made us feel right at home the staff was super friendly I will tell everyone about this location

• Reviewed: December 12, 2018

My stay was excellent!

It just need a little more lights.

I loved the cleaness of the bathroom and the room.

Stayed in December 2018