Reviews of Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham Toms River 2.3 stars

955 Hooper Avenue, Toms River, NJ 08753, USA

#4 of 8 hotels in Toms River

The carpet in the room, hallways and Stairs can use a good shampooing. My room (246) even has stains that look like burns from cigarettes. There is a sign that says " no smoking" on each door, yet inside the room, there is another one that says " if you want to smoke, do it on the balcony" (?). The smell of cigarettes is strong. The gym isn't located on the property. It's across and closes at 10(?). The pool closes 9, a little too early.

Check-in was excellent. The front desk lady was great and very accommodating ( I should have asked her name ...Thank you very much for switching me from a king size bed room to a double!!!). The hotel is very well-situated, by a major highway, in a quiet neighborhood, not far from the beaches.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The entire hotel is supposed to be smoke free, but the ingrained smell of cigarettes was like a punch in the face as soon as you stepped past the front desk. There was also an unusual patchouli-like funk in the hallway (unsuccessful attempt to cover the cigarette smell?). The double room was a good size, but the banged up furniture and trim work showed it's age and overuse. Our room was not like the updated style in on the website. The style was fine, just not like the updated sleeker style shown online. We had hoped going with a chain hotel would have been a safer bet than going with an independently owned hotel. Lastly, the door (at least at entrance A) was never locked; you did not need to swipe key to enter. I would have preferred it to be more secure.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was cold. Asked for an extra blanket and pillow took over an hour and when they did bring me a blanket it was 1230 AM and didn’t even bring a pillow

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was here to visit my mother at a hospice, obviously this was a trip I wish I didn't have to make ... everything was great

Quick, convenient, clean, quiet .... excelent Wi-Fi

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I have chemical sensitivity and there were no problems except dryer sheet smell in parking lot, and stinky gift size soap/shampoo which I didn’t use. Otherwise the sheets and room didn’t smell. The bathroom fixtures were installed incorrectly, but basically functioned. The pillows were too few and mealy. We had to go to office to pick up better ones (most hotels would deliver). The heater gave me a minor sore throat. But the best thing was the lack of stinky toxic chemical cleaning product scents inside the room and on the bedding. Thankyou for that!

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It smelled like cigarettes throughout the building. It was very old, and the room was not very clean.

The staff was so kind and accommodating. The pool area was nice.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Distance was good. But really should have paid maybe $50 to stay there. Not $107.

The pictures shown for this property are not what the actual place looks like. Complete Lie. We didn't even have a closet. They put two boards together to separate in L shape and a rod, and called it George I guess. The room looked like I just stepped into a 1970 motel room. We didn't even bother to take a shower there. Breakfast so so. The waffle mix not what hotels normally serve. I don't know if they packaged it to look like the brand hotels normally serve.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

It smelled like smoke, no pool towels in pool area and not enough bath towels and couldn’t even get any more because they were in the washer. I had 4 people in the room and only had 3 towels

the staff was not very professional when it came to handing the costumer their money back. I believe change and credit card should be handing back into the costumers hands not placed back down on the counter.

the balcony

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The forever no turn signs. And the roads are a complete disaster. But nothing to do with the motel .

Didn't eat breakfast . Very comfortable and plenty of eateries. Good staff and comfortable clean room

• Double Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

The water in the shower was so cold you didn't even want to take a shower

They put us very close to the bar the music was loud at night there was Construction in the room above me that made a lot of noise all night long I should have asked for a different room

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Could have had a Nother light in the room one was missing other than that the Internet was much better we had a microwave which we did not have last time

while waiting to speak to the desk staff, two people were involved with what should have taken one of them, as though i were invisible. they also charge $50. per pet. They allow customers to leave their dogs in the room unattended, to which they will bark constantly. Outrageous.

the rooms were fine.

Everything could of been better. Even the toilet was weird. The owner should be ashamed of himself.

Very dirty. Smelly. Someone ripped the hair blower from the wall and it was not replace Same with iron. No microwave. Frost in refrigerator 3 inches thick bed very uncomfortable and lots of lumps carpeting dirty. We talked about leaving but we would lose the money we paid for the night. Wood peeling off the bathroom door. Nothing like the pictures posted on line.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I was disappointed the first night we were there the room was not what bookings.com had shown. It was dirty and outdated. Our 2nd night I asked for a room switch and the lady at the front desk was very accommodating. We were also disappointed with the pool. It was green and the pool area had a horrible smell.

The staff was friendly and helpful.

The strong smell of mold. The pressure of the shower was very weak.

The connecting rooms were great with the patio door that led us directly to the pool without passing by the hallway

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Old fashioned hotel from 70's. All queen rooms are facing a highway so could be noisy. Poor breakfast

Staff was nice and helpful. In overall clean hotel

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Parking and staff couldn't understand the maids and front desk was lacking customer service skills

Beds and pillow comfy and indoor pool convenient for families with children when storming outside

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The bathroom didn't have an exhaust fan and it was a little humid at times. The pool area was dark (maybe because of the weather but I think it needed more light).

Overall, it was very nice. The breakfast provided was very tasty, and everything was always restocked when supplies were getting low. The breakfast room was very clean. The employees were very helpful. We ate at the bar restaurant and we enjoyed our food and service.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The place is not what the pictures show. It is run down. It smells like smoke. The beds you could feel the springs. The furniture was old and scratched up. The lighting felt like I had time warped into the 80's. Marks all over the walls as you walked up the stairs to the room. Didnt see an elevator to go up steps. And this was being here for 15 minutes before we decide to find a different hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Rooms are nothing like pictured.....very run down, dirty, like a one star motel. Extremely disappointed when we opened the door to.our room. Hallways smelled like marajuana..management said "I can t control what people do in their rooms. Pool area was not clean and way too hot in the area. The photos on the website show a renovated.hotel...very modern eclectic design......they were nothing even close. The first room they put me in had a broken bed...my daughter's room had the light falling out of the wall.....I highly advise you to skip this motel.if you are looking for a nice clean experience.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room was not what we expected sink was clogged carpet was sticky I'm sorry to say we won't be returning here. The beds were comfortable that was a plus.

The location was close to where we were going for the wedding

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

this time the Wi-Fi was working really well your maid staff was very friendly and efficient the lady that greeted us at the desk had no personality and really wasn't friendly as usually we get a very friendly greeting because we stay there often other than that everything was terrific and of course looking to our next time staying there thank you have a blessed evening

• Queen Room - Disability Access/Non-Smoking

Hard to get in and out of the property . But tha is not their fault . The state is responsible for the dopey no turn policy . Must have travel miles just to get on the other side of a street .

Bar and restaurant in the building

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I didn't like the staff at check-in she was miserable I forgot to ge her name the rooms are small ugly stinky too much money for one night was not worth it at all! We did ask for them to change our room. They did the room was a little better nothing like the pictures on the website at all actually would like my money back..

I liked the pool hours

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Drunk passed out in hall way arrested by police, Smoking of pot outside on balcony from room below, Parking lot packed on Saturday night and people lighting off fireworks in the parking lot next to the cars....

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Bartender told us no frozen drinks. When my boyfriend approached the manager, immediately frozen drinks were made.

Beds , convenience of location, pool, pleasant hotel staff

The bed was full of dirt and hair at headboard when we went down stsirs the owner was very rude...told us it shouldnt be a problem since it wasnt on bed like really when asked for new room it had same problem then he said if it was that much of a problem we could leave after paying and he wasnt giving our money back and his office is upstairs and he smokes im there so 2nd floor smells

Some of the staff was helpful and location was nice

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Staff was decent besides one very nasty rude older woman who both checked us in and out. Was very detailed oriented about planning the trip and scoured their website for hotel policies and FAQs and even emailed them asking about any age policies (since both my boyfriend and I are only 20 and many places you must be 21) and never heard back or found anything, so after a week of no response I decided there must not be an issue - only to be very RUDELY told by the check in woman that there was a $150 security deposit on the room in addition to the total payment for the room, which was not a big deal had we known ahead of time- instead we had to travel far and wide to find an ATM to supply the deposit since theirs was out of service. Just wish we had been made aware prior so we could have been prepared. Also days before we were going I called and spoke to someone about making a specific check in time which they told me was fine and they would make a note in the computer for me- super friendly man. However when we arrived the rude older woman checking us in turned us away and said check in was at 2 despite the prior arrangements I tried to explain to her- too rude to even listen. so we went to get lunch to kill time only to get back super excited to start our trip- finally got unpacked and settled and looked up things to do only to find that all boardwalks and pretty much any activity was closed.... if only we could have checked in when requested instead of wasting a day of our trip. The pool was nice and warm, fairly clean. House keeping did a wonderful job but overall the hotel looked NOTHING like the pictures which make it seem modern. its not. its basic and dated but do-able. There was an on site resturant but we didn't get a chance to try it. Breakfast is a joke, but there was at least waffles- pretty standard hotel food just very slim options. Overall it was okay. not great.

• Reviewed: 8 June 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were springy and uncomfortable. They offered bagels for breakfast but never had cream cheese and the cereal tasted old. The safe would not open due to low battery. We received complimentary shampoo but no conditioner.

The room was big.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

bathroom was clean except for some dirty water on the floor. pillows weren't the most comfortable

overall a good stay. i thought it was a little pricy for what you get but i guess that location is popular

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The birds chirping outside the room at night, but that's not the hotel's fault

The rooms was very comfortable and good for this quick in and out trip

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Breakfast was not great but the value and location of the hotel more than made up for the weak coffee and lack of a hot breakfast menu. Getting onto the right road with no left turns was tricky . The staff gave us great directions.

Location to our destination and the places we wanted to visit was perfect. We liked the ease of registration . The rooms were clean and ready when we arrived , older but upgraded sufficiently. I had trouble with the bedside lamps and got an immediate fix.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Was not happy at all. I traveled with my 91 year old mother and requested a room either on the first floor or near an elevator. Upon check in was told we were on second floor a few rooms from the elevator which would have been fine. However our room was at the complete opposite end of the hallway from the elevator. I also traveled with a small dog , which I mentioned on the reservation, and was told upon check in that it would be $50 per night for the dog. No where on any site I looked at was this mentioned. I did read there was an additional fee for a dog but not how much. I have traveled extensively with my pup in Bew Jersey New York and Pennsylvania and have NEVER paid more than $15 a night in additional. cost.. Also, although it was nice to have breakfast included, the breakfast area was small and cramped with out enough counter space or area to walk when people were sitting at the tables making it very difficult for anyone using any kind of mobility device to get around..

Pool always closed early. Pillows on the beds had very little filling in them. Linens were very worn.

We had adjoining rooms with our family. Housekeeping staff were accommodating in that they did a great job in making up our room.

• Reviewed: 27 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel staff and restaurant staff were very dismissive and treated me like a teenager. I will never go back there because of this. And the pictures you have on website are not what you get in your room lol. They need updated

The breakfast they offered was. It good. Unless you like waffles. Cause that's about all they have to offer

• Reviewed: 22 April 2017

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I just wish the parking along Hooper Avenue wasn't right alongside busy and speedy Hooper Avenue. Wish there was some sort of barrier. Noisy people 4AM in hallway one night. Crazy or drunk?

Clean place that takes pets. Nice place. Very busy at times. Clean safe room. Good beds. Coffee pot and refrigerator in room. Free newspaper. Huge Tv.

The smell of the room was bad. The air from the ac stinks. Very noisy place. People keep knocking on my door. Other keys opening your door.

The bar. Live music

• Reviewed: 8 January 2017

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The only thing I didn't like was that the toilet kept running and was a little loud but if you jiggle the handle it stops.

The bed was really comfortable and having a mini fridge and a microwave made it even better

• Reviewed: 21 October 2016

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room smelled of urine. They moved us to another room which had a better smell and then we found it had a store bought air freshener. We had to stay because it was too late to find a new hotel. I found a bug in my son's bed the next morning so we left first thing. The pictures on the booking.com website were totally misleading. I'll never stay here or use booking.com again.

That I could check out.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

I went with my sons and husband. This place is not the best family location. Lots of riff raff. Came in from a family party and we had to park around the other side of the building because so many cars were coming and going. Family who lives in the area said its not the best for family and small kids. I now see why.

The location and rate

• Reviewed: 31 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Few offerings at the breakfast room ....Holiday Inn has them beat by a mile.Also it would help if cars could enter the property directly from Hooper Ave.

Location, condition of room., and a restaurant in the building

• Reviewed: 23 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We had a balcony room looking toward the street, the beach was a good drive away, it was very awkward trying to get in the entrance of the hotel.

It was very clean, the air was great, free parking, near a

• Reviewed: 21 August 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

I didn't like having to pay $50.00 a day for a 20 lb dog. I've paid $10-$25 for a 3-5 day visit. I didn't see anything about $50 a day on your web site. Had I known about the charges I would have booked elsewhere.

The location, the free breakfast

• Reviewed: 5 July 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room had no available blow dryer and the air conditioner did make some noise from time to time.

Room was very modern and looked to be completely renovated. Bed was comfortable and room was quiet.

• Reviewed: 26 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Slightly noisy because of the location to major intersection.

Centrally placed to visit The Jersey Shore and immediate entrance to The Parkway for travelling

• Reviewed: 19 June 2016

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Carpets and decor were old and dirty looking. Rusty holes in the floor of the bath tub that looked like blood. Badly needs upgrading. Continental breakfast poorly stocked.

food from restaurants eaten in the bar was good.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

We only had two bath towels and one washcloth. No hand towels.

Clean and comfortable.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The rooms aren’t what they are as shown on the website, they are a little outdated.

I liked the balcony, and the location was good.

Place was filthy. No standards.

Liked everything

Clean RM and working amenities.

• Deluxe King Suite

Spruce up hallways with new flooring and paint.

Nice people, clean, comfortable room, convenient location.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The room and hallway stunk of of dog s..the decor and fittings.

The beds were comfortable.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hotel is in desperate need of updating. It smells of cigarette smoke and mildew.

Free access to a full service gym. Refrigerators on each room.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Carpet was old, room needed a thorough cleaning, lot's of dust..but it was ok for 1 night.

The room was fine.

No TV, NO Shower, dirty floors

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Pretty pricey I've spent less at actual resorts

Indoor pool

Bed and parking

Very nice staff and clean, thank you

Position bad

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The room with a jazzuciis expensive

Nice staff

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We were up all night due to dogs in the next room barking

The door to go out side from are room

Clean and safe

Very helpful and friendly staff +10

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Always enjoy my stay here. It’s clean, staff is friendly, lots of privacy and lots to do around the hotel.

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

Blankets on bed..but not that big of an issue

Hotel staff at front desk were excellent..check in check out and in between all excellent

• Queen Room - Non-Smoking

The facility was very clean and staff was pleasant.

My hotel balcony didn’t close and cold it came threw all night and a weird noise was on

Not enough towels!

All good sorry🙄

It was clean bed was comfy, the staff very pleasant, would recommend to anyone.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The hallway and room had a musky smell. Did not smell clean. Everything was in need of being updated. Old carpet, old bed, old hotel.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Staff was rude room was dirty

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

The beds were uncomfortable and the pillows felt like you were sleeping on nothing.

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

We had a refrigerator and a pool, and breakfast--great

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

Seemed outdated , expensive, not very comfortable bot adequate

Overall ok

• Double Room with Two Double Beds - Non-Smoking

There was a bad storm and we were in a 2nd floor room. At 2am water started pouring in from the bathroom ceiling fixture...

Browse Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham Toms River traveller photo gallery