Reviews of Trapp Family Lodge 4 stars

700 Trapp Hill Road, Stowe, VT 05672, USA

#14 of 31 hotels in Stowe

• Reviewed: 11 October 2018

I like the history of the Trapp family, including the tour,...
    • Premier Queen Room

The food in the restaurant is quite expensive. The resort charge fees for some onsite activities.

I like the history of the Trapp family, including the tour, movie, and old pictures on the wall. The bed is very comfortable and the Mountain View is incredible.

• Reviewed: 3 October 2018

Now that I've been there, I see no need to go back.
    • Superior King Room

This property has grown over the years. BUT there is no coordination of facilities. Very disappointing to have to leave your building to go to the pool and fitness center (and it rained during most of the visit so going to another building wasn't fun). It seemed like there were activities scheduled, but no explanation of them was given at check-in. We just received a piece of paper each day saying what was going on, but no info on how to participate. Dinner at the lodge was a HUGE disappointment. Don't waste your money.

• Reviewed: 23 September 2018

A little dissapointing
    • Deluxe Room

The room was somewhat dingy and only one comfortable chair. Despite asking several times for another one it never arrived

Location and brewery and bakery shop

Disappointed
    • Deluxe Room

Went to make a reservation for dinner but couldn’t be accommodated at preferred time but offered a later time but felt they would rather we ate in the lounge. Breakfast was the lowlight of our visit. Buffet breakfast with a choice of egg scramble or savoury scramble sausage and bacon both cold home fries inedible all at a cost of 22 dollars each fortunately we were not charged for breakfast

A great location well off the beaten track but well signposted. The room was large with a balcony with great view.

• Reviewed: 30 August 2018

The grounds are gorgeous.
    • Deluxe Room

Recreation Center registration - CONFIRM YOUR BOOKING! I signed up for yoga but was told that I was not on the list. It was the one thing I wanted to do for myself as a mom of two young children during that family trip, and I was not able.

The grounds are gorgeous. The accommodations were superb. Everyone is friendly and everything is clean.

Just o.k., not more
    • Deluxe Room

Far from Stowe village, expensive room rates. Reminds me of American resorts from the past. They rely on the fame their family obtained from the "sound of music"

Nice view, good facilities

I would stay again because we really didn’t spend much time in the room.
    • Deluxe Room

.The cleaning staff was below par. They made the beds but left dirty coffe cups, glasses and ice bucket that had melted in the room. No clean up or straightening up what so ever except they made the bed and left a few clean towels as well as the dirty ones.

Beautiful property and amenities with a wonderful history

• Reviewed: 10 August 2018

The amenities and activities were nice (wildflower hike,...

Older furnishings and carpet. Food was overpriced.

The amenities and activities were nice (wildflower hike, maple syrup lecture, concerts and meet the cows). Beautiful mountain location.

Beautiful place
    • Superior King Room

The bathroom needs to be updated and more health-conscious food options e.g. vegetarian and vegan options in the hotel restaurant. Not impressed by the breakfast which was very expensive.

Friendly staff, quite and spaciaous room, comfortable bed and beautiful surroundings. Loved my balcony and the view from it. Will definitely come back!

Expensive but charming.
    • Superior Queen Room

It is cute but expensive. There is a lot of separation between the lodge, the coffee house and the brewery and we didn't realize there was a free shuttle until later. Maybe they could advertise that a bit better. The singalong left a lot to be desired. We were hoping they would sing Sound of Music songs, but that was not the case.

The room was cute and had a wonderful balcony with great views. The brewery and coffee house were awesome. The free tours are a nice bonus.

A very nice feature was shuttle service and cookie hour was wonderful and as a whole staff was amazi

The rain as we had almost 2 days of it

We really enjoyed whole atmosphere and everything we did. I would highly recommend this to everyone, in fact we are going back in September for the tree colors.

We enjoyed our stay. The views are beautiful.
    • Deluxe Room

Our room wasn't as clean as I would like. The trash was not emptied and there were candy wrappers on the floor left from the previous guests.

The staff was very friendly. The food was delicious!

Gorgeous location and beautiful accommodations
    • Superior Queen Room

Aside from the two lovely ladies who checked us in, the service was incredibly disappointing as it often lacked both professionalism and enthusiasm.

Gorgeous location and beautiful accommodations

I amlooking forward to going back.
    • Superior King Room

The food at the main lodge was not good and the choice very limited.

The location is wonderful, the facilities are brillant and the staff very friendly.

A gem in Stowe Vermont
    • Deluxe Room

The drive to the hotel in snow was not easy but doable with good tires and four-wheel drive

It definitely felt like you were in the Swiss Alps. The history of The Sound of Music and the Von Trapp family was extremely interesting

Nice to stay here once, but won’t stay again.
    • Superior Queen Room

It was just WAY too expensive for what it was - a simple small bedroom in a nice hotel. There wasn’t enough history or even Sound of Music playing! They charged for their own tours which are twice/week.

Beautiful lodge. Wonderful employees.

Facilities great.. Staff at reception not at the highlevel of standards as it used to be.
    • Deluxe Room

I go every year to Trapp and this year I was quite disappointed with the service at the reception whith a lot of staff doing nothing and not very helpful. When I left they did not even ask for the keys of my room, ask me if I had a nice stay or thank me and tell me they hoped to see me again.

The view, the spa and the pool

riding solely on the sound of music
    • Superior Queen Room

poor spa and fitness center, no shuttles to town to buy items the lodge didn't sell, all facilities and restaurants close at 9pm. the shuttle they do have almost hit us as we crossed a crosswalk. housekeeping only added towels but never cleaned toilets, sink, or changed linens during a 3 night stay. lastly, i left a message with the GM which he never called back. the place needs an update.

mostly friendly staff, very good food.

Beautiful views, attentive staff.
    • Deluxe Room

Beautiful views, attentive staff. Friendly waiters in the dining room. Cross-country/ Nordic ski lessons and facilities were great; they were helpful for me, as I am a beginner.

I can’t say that everything was bad because some of the workers were very nice and helpful!
    • Deluxe Room

Some of the white waitresses from the main dining room had a very bad attitude and one waitress from the Brewery & Bierhall added on my bill 20% tip for a party of 2 just because she figure out that we are turist, speaking another language than English! Her name is Chrystal! Is the first time when I face up with rasist people in a hotel! (Don’t worry I’m white) I live in New York City where people from all nations live here and I haven’t seen this racism anywhere else!

To expensive for what I have got!

Food and amiance wonderful, staff excellent, lived up to reputation, Northern VT fresh snow,
    • Premier Room

fireplace, Jacuzzi in room for price; had to walk across street in cold weather to reach pool, sauna, and hot tub, outdoor center far away too. Sleigh ride very good, knowledgeable.

snowshoeing right from room, room almost as big as our condo, room was not fancy

Very disappointing.
    • Deluxe Room

We were allocated two rooms literally in the opposite sides of the hotel , what’s more on two different floors which was very inconvenient since we traveled as a family. Staff was inexperienced and not professional. One should check the final bill very carefully as unexpected entries tend to appear on it. We had two additional charges. And although we stayed at the hotel there was no room for us for Christmas dinner as the restaurant was fully booked. Real shambles.

Nice location. Good cross country skiing .

Beautiful place!
    • Deluxe Room

The bathroom could have been more modern, everything was working fine, but it was just very old and the shampoo/shower gel was smelling weird, but overall great place! Would go there anytime again!

We treated ourselves to this lavish stay.
    • One-Bedroom Suite

Color scheme of suite was too dreary for me. Lack of light on/near desk. Room view allowed other guest rooms to see directly into ours if shades weren't pulled. The cost for the two nights wasn't worth it if you weren't going to park yourselves there all the while your stay. One elevator for 2 bus loads of arriving guests was insufficient for other guests who were also arriving. The maze of hallways to get from the elevator to the room resulted in us constantly taking the stairs. Pool and fitness center across the street wasn't convenient especially when the weather was poor.

Efficiency of staff, politeness of staff, quality building materials of the lodge, the restaurant's ambiance. Loved the documentary in the theatre! Loved the photos in the hallways. Pleasant, relaxing music in lounge during the day. Staff went out of their way to make our stay more enjoyable.

We definitely will be returning to this lodge.
    • Deluxe Room

the inconvenience of the pool and hot tub NOT being all attached to the main building of the lodge.

Hospitality, design ,history and the picturesque landscape the mountains.

All in all, it was wonderful...
    • Superior Queen Room

Not being able to take the view home with us.

The Beds were great but wherever did they get those ridiculously tiny pillows? Also, we were not offered a copy of our statement upon checking out.

Tranquility, after a week in Brooklyn.
    • Premier Room

The carpet is getting pretty tired. Navigating within the lodge is quite a challenge, but not easily improved.

The accommodations on the Orchard View side, where we were placed, were much nicer that the "Mountain View", which would better be called the "Parking Lot View." The ski trails are very nice for walking. The shuttle service to their bierhaus was a nice feature, especially since the dining room could not accommodate all guests.

We loved the venue, story and history.
    • Deluxe Room

The property is dated. The breakfast house employee was unprofessional and it appears there is a lack of management or some employees aren’t invested their jobs. The bed was much too soft to be comfortable.

We loved the venue, story and history. Beautiful property, pork schnitzel was awesome!!

Scenery is spectacular.
    • Superior King Room

Room was pricey for what we got. Shower control not working properly-water was lukewarm. Wifi was useless. Needs a little updating. Mattress was uncomfortable.

Scenery is spectacular. Staff is friendly and helpful. Hotel is quaint.

Enjoyable. Stowe (downtown) way too busy.
    • Premier Room

The driveway area to register has cobblestones. Saw many older people struggling with luggage, not able to roll. And another lady with a walker had to be assisted to the parking lot. Getting to our room on the 4th floor was like going thru a maze. Don't stay any higher than the 3rd floor.

The Beer Hall had an excellent lunch & lots of great beers. Grounds are lovely. Loved sitting out on the balcony in the evening. The view from the hotel front is awesome.

The Stowe village was very enjoyable.
    • Premier Room

The layout was chopped up. We were disappointed that we missed the tour and that we didn't hear any music from the family or the movie.

I loved the over sized tub. That was a bonus. I Wally enjoyed the short hike to the chapel.

A wonderful stay in a beautiful, well kept and luxurious hotel in the mountains
    • Superior King Room

I would have appreciated a different kind of pillow. I always keep a small travel pillow in our car so I was able to use that.

The spacious room was beautifully decorated, Austrian style. The king size bed was extremely comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the resort feel and the many activities offered.

Fabulous in almost every way!
    • Standard Suite

Impossible to find any snacks/light lunch at the lodge after a long hike. They could at least have had some pre-made sandwiches available in mid-afternoon. The restaurant at Lodge very pricey. Smallest bratwurst I've ever seen, and $30 for a very mediocre schnitzel.

Absolutely gorgeous property. Land is in a preservation trust so has remained pristine. Loved that venues are spread out on the property. For a Sound of Music enthusiast, Trapp Lodge is a dream come true, but even if not a fan of the movie, there are many charms. Stayed in a Tyrol suite since all regular rooms booked. Pricey but totally worth it.

We got a queen bed, but when I got home I saw the Booking.
    • Deluxe Room

We got a queen bed, but when I got home I saw the Booking.com reservation had a king bed. I thought that was the case, but I thought I had made the mistake. I will let the hotel know also.

The Von Trapp Family Lodge is a relaxing and beautiful place to stay.
    • Deluxe Room

The food was excellent, however the menu was limited and expensive.

The surroundings are beautiful! The room was comfortable and unique. We found the information provided during talks offered to be fascinating about the Von Trapp family.

The place was great and the little things really made it...

Don't remember anything.

The place was great and the little things really made it exceptional. I can't remember the last time I was at a hotel that put mints on the pillows and turn down the beds. I really liked the magnetic door stop that holds the door open while you get your luggage in and out.

Wouldn't recommend going there. We travel and stay at many places and this was far the worst.
    • Deluxe Room

Bed was extremely hard, our shower wouldn't drain properly. The staff seemed very uptight. Except the hostess at dinner. She was very friendly. Our server was seemed very stressed with all her tables and no help. Bartender not friendly . It was extremely noisy outside our room all night and morning. With people talking , trucks honking or cars . Our room was extremely hot the air wasn't working.

Place was beautiful as you pull up.

Beautiful spot with gorgeous gardens and mountain views.
    • Deluxe Room

After the VSO Concert in the Meadow, we wanted to end the night , a ,Saturday, with a drink at the bar but it was closed . It was only 10 pm.

Beautiful spot with gorgeous gardens and mountain views. We've been there many times and returned this night to attend the VSO concert in the Meadow.

Could do better
    • Deluxe Room

Wonderfull outside. Needs an upgrade inside. Old carpets everywhere is not a good combination with outdore activities. Needs a place to clean shoes. Dark rooms. Menu in the lodge and the bakery did not have healty options, the brewery was very good. The price does not meet the standart.

Magical moment.
    • Premier Room

A little disappointed in the hotel restaurant (for dinner). Thought it would have more selection, especially Austrian cuisine.

I loved exploring the hotel and taking in the history of the family with all the pictures everywhere. Also enjoyed the film of Maria and the facility tour. Loved the gardens and the hiking trails.

The view and outdoors so beautiful, the Hotel...no worth it for the cost you pay.
    • Superior Queen Room

The Hotel was ok but need a serious refreshing. The furniture is old, carpets smell humidity, rooms without fridge.The restaurant has only few options and nothing regular.Then the bill, there are 2 types of taxes, one from Vermont and the other from Stowe, they should tell you that in advance.

The view, the gardens, the green and beautiful woods and nature.

More than I imagined!
    • Premier Room

Weather was not the best. Everything else was great.

What an amazing place. The staff is so welcoming. The facility has so much to offer. Hiking, biking, skiing in season. They also are very open about the family. There is a book in the room that gives their story. Wow I can certainly understand why a movie was made. The story was so interesting. I honestly can't wait to go back.

• Reviewed: 9 June 2017

The view of the Mountains.
    • Deluxe Room

It is very commercialized. Just about everything offered cost extra. We took the family history tour that cost 10.00 per person. The staff in the fitness center need some training in customer service. We stayed at the Stowehof inn our first night in VT for half the price and would highly recommend this inn over the Trapp family lodge. It was a warm and cozy inn with lots of charm and a wonderful staff.

The view of the Mountains. The décor and charm of the inn.

All That It says It Is And More
    • Deluxe Room

Liked it all. Wish we would have stayed longer!!

Staff very friendly. Room was large and comfortable! Brew house and restaurant food were excellent! Loved all the pictures of the von Trapp family both in the halls and in the room!!!

• Reviewed: 19 May 2017

Sound of Music fan loves the Trapp Family Lodge
    • Deluxe Room

I don't think they needed to charge for the tours. They're already overcharging you for the room.

The hotel was terrific and the views breathtaking. Loved the History tour and Maple Syrup tours. The hotel brings back memories of "The Sound of Music". The room we were given was absolutely huge and nicely decorated.

A wonderful place to stay!
    • Deluxe Room

The limited choices on its dinner menu

The beautiful setting of the lodge, its historical past, its well appointed rooms, the helpful staff, its amenities, both indoors and outdoors

• Reviewed: 13 April 2017

Great resort with a variety of activities and delicious food!
    • Deluxe Room

My friends and family especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet, tasty food at the bier hall and the Schwein Schnitzel at the restaurant. The kids loved the gorgeous pool and rock climbing. The view from our balcony was beautiful! Great resort!

• Reviewed: 19 March 2017

The property was beautiful and the trails were fun!
    • Deluxe Room

We paid $350 for one night and the room was not worth that kind of money. I understand that this is suppose to have an Austrian feel but it just felt outdated. We had 4 people so used the pull out bed which was like sleeping on a brick. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls. Disappointed to say the least.

The property was beautiful and the trails were fun!

Great Experience !
    • Deluxe Room

The whole experience was positive from the setting, history of the family to the staff and facilities. Even thought the weather did not co-operate, there was a variety or things to do that we enjoyed our whole stay without skiing as we had planned.

• Reviewed: 5 February 2017

Trapp
    • Deluxe Room

We had to take the robes and shampoo from the rooms across the street for the pool and hot tub and shower after. I would think you could sign out a robe and slippers but that was only an option for the spa customers. There were no bags available in the fitness center for wet swim suits.

The room was wonderful! Comfortable beds and very quiet.

• Reviewed: 24 November 2016

Loved the historical references.
    • Deluxe Room

Could have offered all day free coffee and tea. It was starting to get really chilly in Autumn and would be a nice touch to have something warm to drink after walking on the trails.

Loved the historical references. Hotel staff was extremely helpful to attend to a broken bulb in the room and even provided a microwave for us too. Short drive away was their new brewery where food and beer were delicious.

• Reviewed: 16 November 2016

The accommodations were excellent, the staff were helpful...
    • Deluxe Room

It would have been nice to have a compact refrigerator in the room.

The accommodations were excellent, the staff were helpful and courteous and the food was excellent.

• Reviewed: 12 November 2016

Overall fantastic
    • Premier Room

We were not sure that the room was cleaned properly as there was a needle on the floor in the bathroom.

The bath tub is absoloutly brilliant! As well as the restaurant, food, staff and the fantastic views! There is a lot on offer for guests.

• Reviewed: 28 October 2016

Lovely views, rooms a little tired though
    • Deluxe Room

Receptionist not very helpful gave hardly any information.also pool receptionist very surly and scary

Views and hot tub, evening dinner in the restaurant

• Reviewed: 20 October 2016

Staying in the awesome Trapp Family Lodge.
    • Deluxe Room

The history, the Trapp family and the talent and love they represented. The beauty, the AWESOME view. It was all a wonderful experience and fulfilled a dream. We personally heard Maria speak in our town in Oregon years ago. Through her we learned about the real family, the story beyond the movie.

• Reviewed: 19 October 2016

The room was very comfortable.
    • Salzburg Suite

The young lady doing turndown service said that the main dining room was for people who were more "dressed up" than we were (jeans) and that we could have dinner in the lounge. No where on the website or on the premises did we see any notice of a dress code for the main dining room but it was enough to keep us from going there. Either they need to educate their employees or publish their dress code requirements somewhere. The breakfast buffet was good but not great for the price. How about a fresh made omelet station? Many excellent hotels of this caliber have that for your price.

The room was very comfortable. The staff were friendly. The views were amazing.

• Reviewed: 15 October 2018

Most beautiful views. Fun place to stay!!!
    • Superior Queen Room

Update the seating/carpet in bar area.

Liked the bar. The fireplace. But mostly the view!

• Reviewed: 13 October 2018

Von Trapp family history is fascinating

Very expensive

Von Trapp family history is fascinating

• Reviewed: 27 September 2018

Nice historic hotel, clean, nice staff
    • Deluxe Room

Each morning noise of busses at our window, breakfast

Nice historic hotel, clean, nice staff

The lodge was very casual and comfortable.
    • Deluxe Room

The lodge was very casual and comfortable. It did not feel sterile, but did feel homey.

The staff is pleasant and very accommodating.
    • Deluxe Room

The staff is pleasant and very accommodating. The fresh flowers in the building were stunningly arranged!!

• Reviewed: 5 September 2018

Always a favorite place to stay

Always a favorite place to stay

• Reviewed: 1 September 2018

Will be back when I have more time.
    • Deluxe Room

It's a little out of the way but worth it.

Food and all staff were great and friendly area was clean and well kept.

Fabulous location and beautiful hotel with an interesting history.
    • Deluxe Room

Wonderful location with plenty of activities on offer.

A unique atmosphere
    • Deluxe Room

The long route to get to it.

A unique atmosphere

Vacation
    • Superior King Room

The room was not clean Bugs in the room carpet was filthy. Air conditioning didn't work very well warm in room

The view

Enjoyed my stay overall
    • Deluxe Room

The dinner menus was very limited Was disappointed with dinner

The breakfast were great eggs fluffy Food at breakfast was excellent

the view from attached front porch was worth the stay

mattress was dated

the view from attached front porch was worth the stay

The place.
    • Deluxe Room

The place...the room, staff, the history

Food

Food

Beautiful land and an extraordinary amount of activities.
    • Superior Queen Room

Beautiful land and an extraordinary amount of activities. Amazing food and really nice staff.

Great for families, not so for couples

Checking in experience

Great for families, not so for couples

A great choice to have our small family gathering to attend a wedding

having room service

Food was fantastic

Rude unprofessional unhelpfull staff

Rude unprofessional unhelpfull staff

We miss the lodge and will preserve wonderful memories!
    • Salzburg Suite

A wonderful all around experience! Loved meeting the Von Trapp family members.